Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,858 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? (5271 Views)

2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Senate Buildings Of Some Major Nigerian Universities (pictures) / This Is A Mathematics Braintest... (2) (3) (4)

Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by yemstar(f): 9:32pm On Jun 29, 2006
You guys besides teaching what else does Nigeria offer Math Majors?

I want to know because I want to get a degree in math (have always wanted to) but everyone makes majoring in math out to be so unpromising that I am majoring in accounting which I believe will be the very cause of my death soon enough (accounting majors no offence).

Seriously I want to know if Teaching is all you can do with a math major in Nigeria, thanks for your help.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by diddy4(m): 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2006
i think so. accounting aint that bad is it?
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 5:30am On Jun 30, 2006
Why do you want to study Maths in the University? Afterall, the whole essence of studying in the University is to prepare you for some sort of real life work, right? So what work of real life work are you looking forward to that is making you want to study Maths in the University? Please let us know! It is only then that we'll be able to help.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by yemstar(f): 1:51pm On Jun 30, 2006
@ Seun
Ok truth is i really dont know what i want to do in real life embarassed and everybody keeps asking what do you like to do best aspa subjects and i have always liked math but i have no idea what to do with it if i go back home. If i stay here they have options like actuary, statistics, some go further into architecture or engineering.

But the thing is there is no gaurantee that i will remain here so that is why asking.

@ Diddy
Accounting is a good major, gives you a lot of opportunities in the work force i know that is why i am doing it right now but its really not my thing and recently i haven't been passing it like i used to. Am just kinda confused right now,
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by Nosu(m): 11:15pm On Jul 01, 2006
@yemstar - pls don't let anyone put u off. mathematics is a very nice course that prepare u for the real world. mathematics makes u adapt to any working environment. u can work in a bank, telecoms, IT firm, engineering firm etc. Mathematics is link with a lot of field e.g computer, engeering, etc
What u major in at the end of the day will determine where u can work. if it is statistics, u can be a data adminstrator, u will just need to be very good at using Oracle, if u major in mechanics u are goin toward enginnering .

Mathematics is a very wide and interesting course which a lot of ppl are ignore of. let me give a friend's exprience. he wanted to read elect/elect at Ife but he was given Maths, he acceptd it, thinkin that after he will change . after his first year he decided he will stick to maths not because he had a bad result, he had a 1st class but because he now saw the relevant of mathematics to our daily life.

U will just need to complement it with something to make u more marketable.

E.G looking at being a data administrator, add oracle to ur maths. note u will not just do math at school, u will also do a lot of programme.

lookin at workin in a bank add ICAN to IT. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

Go for what ur heart desire. l lot of ppl are pilot today regardless of the risk.it is a thing of passion. u hv the passion for maths, that passion will make u stand out.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:50am On Jul 02, 2006
Yemstar, please consider the following facts:
- You have no tangible reason for wanting to be a Mathematics major.
- You are already studying Accounting and this is a course with good employment opportunities.
- The more time you spend changing courses, the more of your life is wasted.

Considering the above, I think the right step is for you to go ahead and get that accounting degree that you are already on course to get. Once you have that degree, you can start exploring the professional opportunities.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by diddy4(m): 3:32am On Jul 02, 2006
dont mind that nosu of a guy saying all this stuff about statistics and data whatever. i mean, this is nigeria you are talking about. which company will look your way with those stuff. if it is USA i will be like yeah cuzz you did get a nice job of there but in naija, u have a slim chance of getting one.

consider seuns options and do accounting. u will have a very good chance of getting a job with a nice pay. atlest i know that some banks pay naija graduates 80 to 90, 000 a month but for a US degree they go up to double the amount especially if u know whatchu talking about.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by Nosu(m): 7:33am On Jul 02, 2006
we are too Stereotype in this part of the world. everybody want to be an accountant, engineer, doctor etc. u don't just do things without hving a passion for it. because if u do, when obstacle comes u will run and that why he is complainin now. if u do what u love doing , things will be easier and u will get result easily.Mind u, not every accountant are successful. Life response to deligent. a man that is diligent in his work with sit with kings and not mean men.
Note this, diligent in his work, that is what he loves doing and not what majority loves doing.

pursue ur heart desire, maths is a course that lead u into a hall with so many rooms. u are not mistaking.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2006
Mathematics is a good course, but not in Nigeria. Try countries like Uk and US.
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by yemstar(f): 1:52pm On Jul 05, 2006
I want to thank you all for your reply, Seun you made the same point my family made and Nosu said the same thing my math professors said.

In the end i think i will just double major, since i have been taking math classes since i got here i am already halfway through both, and that way i have choices and i am not stuck with something i don't like for a while, but it was nice hearing views from outside my family. Thanks again. smiley
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 4:13pm On Jul 06, 2006
Actually what Nosu said is correct. Mathematical sciences (Mathematics, Statistics, Operational Research and Computer Science) are very good and lucrative courses. But the problem is that Nigeria and Nigerians are yet to realise the significance of Mathematical sciences in the growth of the economy. People believe if it is not Accounting, Economics, Business Admin, Medicine, Pharmacy and Engineering then you are not a professional. But that is not true. All these course i have mentioned cannot do without the mathematical sciences. Medicine and Pharmacy for example will be incomplete with out Statistics; Accounting, Bus Admin and Economics will be incomplete with out maths and statistics; Engineering will be incomplete without Mathematics, Statistics and Computing. U need to study statistics deeply to see what enginneers, Doctors and Pharmacists do with it. Mathematical Sciences is necessary for every other course, and taking a Hons Degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Ops Research is not a bad idea. But the BIG question is : Can it fetch you a good JOB in Nigeria? Most mathematicians and statisticians work as Database administrators, programmers and systems analysts while some go into accounting and all that. It is a GOOD course any way. You can try it if u wish!!!
Re: Is There Much For A Mathematics Major In Nigeria? by Ajiigaa: 6:14pm On Sep 18, 2011
Mathematics is the best course had eva knew. Is a pivot 2 every scince and management based courses e.g. Engineering, information technology, economics, accounting etc. As per Nigeria ur certificate doesn't determine where you work, I know of a yoruba major that works in bank, in oil company many discipline are employ including mathematics, economics, enginering etc. But I want you know that mathematics improve ur intelligence. It's a course that 've a bright future both in Nigeria and abroad. I love it a lot!

How What I Learnt From Movies Almost Killed Me / 5 Weird Things I Bet You Dont Know About Russia / Jamb Profile Updated With Caps (photo)