Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Illustrated Naija Cookbook - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Illustrated Naija Cookbook (5629 Views)

I Need Cookbook. Help! / Nigerian (yoruba) Cookbook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2008
I have been thinking of putting together a cookbook of Common Nigerian recipes (maybe with a few not so common ones thrown in for interest) with illustrations and stuff  as a hobby.

Do you guys think that people would be interested in getting a book like that.

You know how at the Check out isle at Marks & Spencers you have those glossy "How to ckook Thai food"  and "Simple Italian Dishes" type recipe books? I have never seen one on African food or is there one and I have not just come across it? .
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 11:53am On Sep 05, 2008
I was thinking something like this

[size=14pt]Efo Riro [/size]

This superb Yoruba Speciality is made with assorted parts of meat, dried fish, fresh crab claws and fried snails in combinations with green vegetables such as Soko or Tete.
Ingredients
[size=14pt]Ingredients:[/size]

* I kg / 2 lb fresh Soko or tete (washed & blanched)
* 500g / llb assorted parts of meat (washed)
* 225g/ 8oz stock fish (pre-soaked
* 1 medium smoked fish
* 225§/8oz bushmeat (washed)
* 4 snails (washed with lemon juice)
* 22 5g / 8oz ground Crayfish
* 225g / 8oz fresh pepper
* 500g / llb fresh tomatoes
* 1 small tin tomato puree
* 2 medium onions
* 190ml / 6fl 07, palm-oil
* 1 teaspoon iru
* 1pt stock or water
* salt to taste

Directions

1. Place the washed meats in a large pot, add a drop of water or stock.
2. Season with salt and ground pepper and boil for 30 minutes or until tender.
3. Add the smoked fish, stockfish, crab claws and snails and cook for another 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and place in a clean bowl.
5. Wipe the pot out and pour in the palm-oil.
6. Place pot on fire to heat up the oil.
7. Ground the tomatoes, onions, and chillies, add to the hot oil and fry for lOminutes, stirring frequently.
8. Add tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes until well blended.
9. Add the cooked meats, Crayfish and some more stock if necessary.
10. Simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Finally, add the blanched tete or Soko, cook for 5 minutes, check seasoning and serve with Iyan.

Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by JeSoul(f): 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2008
AMAKAONE:

I have been thinking of putting together a cookbook of Common Nigerian recipes (maybe with a few not so common ones thrown in for interest) with illustrations and stuff as a hobby.

Do you guys think that people would be interested in getting a book like that.

You know how at the Check out isle at Marks & Spencers you have those glossy "How to ckook Thai food" and "Simple Italian Dishes" type recipe books? I have never seen one on African food or is there one and I have not just come across it? .
I think that's a fantastic idea. I would buy it smiley. Maybe the older Africans who've been cooking before they left home might not be too hot on it but I think the younger generation, eager to connect with their heritage will be your market.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 5:33pm On Sep 05, 2008
JeSoul:

I think that's a fantastic idea. I would buy it smiley. Maybe the older Africans who've been cooking before they left home might not be too hot on it but I think the younger generation, eager to connect with their heritage will be your market.

I agree with you . I think the younger generation of Nigerians would buy a book like that.

Nothing too complicated or too heavy just a simple book like this I think

Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Leilah(f): 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2008
ohh i woudl give anything for that, so many western wives of nigerian men would too.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by JeSoul(f): 9:01pm On Sep 05, 2008
Leilah:

ohh i woudl give anything for that, so many western wives of nigerian men would too.

True. that's another potential market Amaka, foreign women married to Nigerian men would be all over it.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Cayon(f): 1:30am On Sep 06, 2008
@ poster:

go for it. It worked for me
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by iice(f): 3:48am On Sep 06, 2008
Cool! I would buy it
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 3:19pm On Sep 17, 2008
I have been doing some research and I have come across so many Ghanaian versions of this book I wantedto put together but none on  Nigerian cuisine.

hmmmm,

Just thought I'd share.

Random thought 

Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by JeSoul(f): 5:53pm On Sep 17, 2008
AMAKAONE:

I have been doing some research and I have come across so many Ghanaian versions of this book I wantedto put together but none on Nigerian cuisine.

hmmmm,

Just thought I'D share.

Random thought
Maybe its becos all the Nigerians are busy making nollywood movies . . . cool. Go for it Amaka, I would buy it and recommend my friends to do so as well.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by landis(m): 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2008
Good Idea but you got to spell the Yoruba word exactly as it is with 'ami'

vegetables such as Soko or Tete correct version

vegetables such as Sọkọ or Tètè.

Good Luck
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by phillip001(m): 2:44pm On Sep 20, 2008
amakaone, i think it is not a bad idea,i will be interested in the book.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool 0 9) (0(
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 2:52pm On Sep 23, 2008
landis:

Good Idea but you got to spell the Yoruba word exactly as it is with 'ami'

vegetables such as Soko or Tete  correct version

vegetables such as Sọkọ or Tètè.

Good Luck

hmm,
Shey u know I'm not Yoruba?

Where do I even begin writing with ami?

Is there a keyboard that does that?

You know like the Chinese character keyboards?

or is there a special software that does that?Sọkọ or Tètè
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by JeSoul(f): 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2008
I think you'll need both native and english words for ingredients, it'll help since we're all from different tribes and frequently have different names for the same thing.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 5:37pm On Sep 23, 2008
Jesoul, I am researching the native names for most ofthe common ingredients that are used to make the popular dishes in Nigeria as well a s some regional specialities.

Like :

The many names of uyayak

ighimiakhie or ikhememi in Edo
edeminang in Efik
manto in Ejagham
kpankpan or ekuk in Ejagham-Etung
ighirehimi in Esan
dawo in Hausa;
Uyayak in Ibibio
ashobo, ashosho, oshogisha (Arochukwu)
ora-ora (Awka)
osshosha (Bende)
osakirisa (Owerri) in Igbo
apapa in Ijo-izon
idisain in izon
yurem in Nkem
arida, arizan, ayida or ikoho in Nupe
and aidan (Ife) or aridan (meaning cast no spell) in Yoruba.

My problem I think will be with typing in say phonetic Yoruba as landis suggested. There must be a uniform way of writing Yoruba surely without having to add special fonts to the text?
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by JeSoul(f): 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2008
AMAKAONE:

The many names of uyayak

ighimiakhie or ikhememi in Edo
edeminang in Efik
manto in Ejagham
kpankpan or ekuk in Ejagham-Etung
ighirehimi in Esan
dawo in Hausa;
Uyayak in Ibibio
ashobo, ashosho, oshogisha (Arochukwu)
ora-ora (Awka)
osshosha (Bende)
osakirisa (Owerri) in Igbo
apapa in Ijo-izon
idisain in izon
yurem in Nkem
arida, arizan, ayida or ikoho in Nupe
and aidan (Ife) or aridan (meaning cast no spell) in Yoruba.
  See as names boku for just one thing!  shocked  smiley  To satisfy every tribe will be drama my dear.

My problem I think will be with typing in say phonetic Yoruba as landis suggested. There must be a uniform way of writing Yoruba surely without having to add special fonts to the text?
  While it would be ideal to write phonetically, I really don't think its overly necessary. Especially if your market is over here in yankee, 95% of the people will not even be able to appreciate those phonetics I know I won't smiley. Judge which is the most common name/s and use those.

Also another idea could be for you to include a glossary in the back of the book where people can reference/look up words they might not recognize. That way you won't need to list 20 different names in a recipe for one ingredient, thereby disrupting the flow: and you can include as much details and alternative names or description or even pictures back there in the glossary.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by naijacutee(f): 12:34am On Sep 29, 2008
@Amaka. Very interesting . . .
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by lisalee: 4:09pm On Oct 01, 2008
@ amaka email me. Already sent you an e-mail. Its very important
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2008
lisalee:

@ amaka email me. Already sent you an e-mail. Its very important

@Lisalee

Done.

Looking forward to it
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Busybody2(f): 10:22pm On Oct 02, 2008
AMAKAONE:

hmm,
Shey u know I'm not Yoruba?

Where do I even begin writing with ami?

Is there a keyboard that does that?

You know like the Chinese character keyboards?

or is there a special software that does that?Sọkọ or Tètè

Some keyboards and laptops comes with these (ami) markings.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Cayon(f): 10:40pm On Oct 06, 2008
@poster:

If you have not done so, you can create your own blog (free). I created a blog where I have all my stories, poems, recipies, personal adventures, family and friends etc

reg.my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/registration/initRegistration.psp
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Biabeke(f): 6:30pm On Nov 18, 2008
Amaka, I would definitely love to buy your cookbook! I have forgotten recipes for egg rolls and chin chin. cheesy
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by luckyme9(f): 7:53am On Nov 24, 2008
Wao, Amaka I think we are on the same track here, for the past three years, I've been composing one too.
I'm only using my experience and my daughters input. So far I have 50 recipes, about 40 from Nigeria and
The rest from places like Ghana and kenya. I am still trying out some more African recipe, because I want to be able
To taste it before I include it in my book. I call my book " Taste Of Africa". As it is my registered business name here
In the US. I encourage you to move on this is a very good idea. If you like to, you can leave your email and we can share more
Ideas. Good luck
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by smurf1(f): 4:57pm On Feb 16, 2009
I actually have the one form Ghana, love the food too. wink cheesy
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Nobody: 2:08am On Feb 17, 2009
I'm starting to hate efo now. Too much meat in it. . . .ugh!

I think am going anti-meat lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by NegroNtns(m): 7:47pm On Feb 18, 2009
is there any Nigerian culinary book in the market? when is your book coming out?
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by carpediem1(f): 11:48am On Mar 05, 2009
@ Amaka I think it will be a great idea, I've made a few of your recipes and you explain really well, I just found one on Amazon, its the first Nigerian cookbook I've found, its about £15

Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by 1sutra(f): 4:51am On Mar 06, 2009
Please Please Please make this book Amakaone!!

I'm an American girl with a lovely Yoruba guy and I love to cook. I spend so many hours on the internet researching different recipes to prepare for him, that it would be a God send to find them all in one place.

My man loves my cooking and often threatens to call the authorities to have me shipped back to Nigeria because as he says" You are from another world baby".

With your cookbook and my tweeking I can keep his tummy full and happy for a long time to come. grin.

Also I have checked out your other thread {under Amaka1 for recipes} and used some over the years and they have come out great!! Thanks to you and all the other contributors.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by The1Neze: 8:05pm On Mar 13, 2009
I would LOVE, and I mean L-O-V-E (as in LOVE) such a book.

I have experience in book publishing so if you need help putting it together (design, layout, editing, proofreading etc), let me know. I won't charge you anything. It would be my pleasure.

The Nigerian Diaspora has provided you with a huge niche market, you should make hay while the sun shines.

Love,

Neze
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by CrazyMan(m): 10:35am On Mar 14, 2009
Wao, such a book would be really nice.

Let us know when you're through with it because I would love to buy such a book.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by AmakaOne(f): 4:44pm On Mar 16, 2009
I have decided to start with a blog first to sort of work thru my ideas and before I waste some hardworking publisher's time.
I will post the details when I have a decent looking blog up.
Hopefully that will be soon.
Re: Illustrated Naija Cookbook by Epi: 4:20pm On Mar 21, 2009
i have a question to ask

(1) (2) (Reply)

So You Think You Can Cook! / Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate And White Chocolates Aavailable For Sale / Top 3 Hausa Food And How To Prepare Them (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.