Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Why Do People Hide Their Age? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do People Hide Their Age? (6333 Views)

Why Do People Hide There Age? / Give Me Just One Reason Why Ladies Hide Their Email Address? / Why Do Girls Hide Their Ages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Hide Their Age? by layi(m): 3:03pm On Sep 08, 2005
You ask someone (mostly adults)  "How old are you?". You are almost sure the response would be "Why do you want to know?".

Why do people hide their age?
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by fabian(f): 11:26am On Sep 09, 2005
How old are you Layi?
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Greatpeter(m): 11:27am On Sep 09, 2005
People hide their age for security reason. tongue
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Princess(f): 11:36am On Sep 09, 2005
Not for security reasons but because they are ashame to say how reallly really old they are!
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Greatpeter(m): 11:41am On Sep 09, 2005
You don't understand what I meant.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by layi(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2005
@GP
make me understand too. Security as in?

@fabian
I've said my age more than 5 times on this forum. At a point i gave the yrs, months and days. I've got no reason to hide it. I'm 23+
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Motee(f): 11:50am On Sep 09, 2005
I believe for mature singles they are sometimes uncomfortable since there is no Mr/Mrs. Right but I do not believe in such because you cannot change anything about it.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by fabian(f): 12:22pm On Sep 09, 2005
@ Layi
I hear ya

Well, i dont hide my age, but I believe that the pple who do, feel insecure about what pple will think about them, I guess they have a feeling of inaccomplishment because some pple have tagets that they have set for themselves and when they have not got there by the time they thought they shld have, they decide to reduce their age, thinking maybe they can still catch up on time. Sounds silly to me though, because whether you falsify your age or not, your age will remain the same!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by layi(m): 12:25pm On Sep 09, 2005
Good Talk Fabian. So.............. how old are you ?
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by fabian(f): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2005
@ Layi
Why do you want to Know? wink
Or
A lady never tells her age! cheesy
Choose one of the traditional lines ladies use! smiley

But more seriously tho,
Will be 27 In a little over a month! cool
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by nike4luv(f): 1:11pm On Sep 09, 2005
gosh..wats the stress, i think people hide their age because they want to know other peoples age so as to know if they aregon lie bout their real age or now

for example if i ask a guy asl, he wouldnt answer but he would wanna know mine first..jeez
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by IAH(f): 2:29pm On Sep 09, 2005
I don't really like telling people my age because some people judge you, your actions, etc. by your age which is not good. But instead of lying, I'd rather not disclose it.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by vexxy(f): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2005
1. People don't believe me if I tell them. (They always request an ID)
2. Some are quick to judge upon finding out the person's age
3. Some are insecure about their actions with regard to their age hence the "why do you want to know?" question.
4. A lady never reveals her age wink
5. Some older persons wish to appear younger and vice versa for the younger group.
6. They are trying to gain access that to a substance/person/event/place that would otherwise be prohibited due to age.
7. They are into playing mind games.
8. It's fun for the other party to guess before revealing the true age

V
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by fabian(f): 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2005
To add to that, some men hide their age because they want to joun their Countrys' National Football team, in our case - SUPER EAGLES! grin cheesy wink smiley
Man! See Old Papas Claiming 21!
I guess they wanna feed their extended families anyway!
Life is hard Man must survive!
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Greatpeter(m): 6:13pm On Sep 09, 2005
Hahahahaha! Why vexxy revealed everything just like that.

Fabian you're a case oo.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by slowpoison(m): 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2005
People in Nigeria hide their age because of insecurity . Some feel that they have under achieved embarassed, while some do it because of some legal restictions footballers lipsrsealed will reduce theirs ages to play against younger teams, Civil servants will reduce their ages so that they can stay in office after the legal retirement age cry. and people like Salisu Buhari shocked the impeached speaker of thre house of representative increased their age to qualify for election into the house just as young Nigerians cryare now increasing their ages to get British[b] Visas [/b] . and it leads to so much confusion in the system this is why some people expecially politicians shocked sad embarassed have up to three different ages all backed up with affidavit FROM OUR COURTS cry
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Latoya(f): 4:05am On Sep 10, 2005
I think i will agree with slowpoision>but i dont see anyreason why i should hide my age.
I am 20 years,3 months,2 weeks and 2 days old.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by WesleyanA(f): 5:01am On Sep 10, 2005
people hide their ages for many reasons. if you're young but look old, you could claim an older age to get a job like i read in many books. on the other hand, if you're old but look young, you could claim a younger age to avoid "the draft".
i've claimed an older age before so i don't get stuck with the stupid preteens at church. nobody believed me though undecided so i ended up getting stuck with them till i turned 13.
i've also claimed a younger age to get something only kids get when i was younger. they didn't believe me then too undecided.. . . . .
i need to get some more lying skills asap. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by oluwizard(m): 4:31pm On Sep 10, 2005
many people  will not told u there real age rolleyes  rolleyes
but  am 29yrs this June 2005 but when i take this test i now discover am  22years  every body can take the test and let us no Ur  age   some people have runs their lives because of smoke and hot drinks  " jedi jedi" and some think too much. So take the test and let us no Ur real age

Here is the link www.realage.com      smiley smileywaiting to See Ur reply cool cool smiley smiley
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by WesleyanA(f): 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2005
oh please those tests are fake. i only take them for the fun of it.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Princess(f): 4:34pm On Sep 10, 2005
true
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by oluwizard(m): 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2005
Ok let take it as a fun and see
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Princess(f): 4:43pm On Sep 10, 2005
see what?
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by WesleyanA(f): 4:44pm On Sep 10, 2005
see how fake it is. wink
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by Princess(f): 4:44pm On Sep 10, 2005
yeah
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by WesleyanA(f): 4:45pm On Sep 10, 2005
muhahahhahahahahaha
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by shockreaction(m): 6:57pm On Sep 10, 2005
*hiss* Hypocrites! And they're the ones who say age is nothing but a number *shakes fist*

As a general rule of thumb, the older a woman is, the more difficult it is for her to reveal her age. grin
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by queen2(f): 7:10pm On Sep 10, 2005
Whats the big deal in hiding age? nywayz me think that some hide their age simply because of some security purposes or maybe anything that is personal to them sha. undecided
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by hotangel2(f): 9:00am On Sep 11, 2005
When i am in school, i don't tell people my age. They make me show my ID. See:

People: How old are you
Me: I am 16
People: Liar! You r sooo blah blha
Me: i am serious
People: You cannot be 16 and be in college.
Me: well too bad i am
People: Can i see you ID
Me: Here we go again.. blah!

I don't see anything wrong with telling people my age, but when it comes to telling them i am in college+telling them my age, i'll rather hide it.
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by layi(m): 11:23am On Sep 11, 2005
Hmmmm...but wait first. 16 in junior (3rd yr) at college ? How u do am? U get tripple promotion twice ?
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by nike4luv(f): 1:11pm On Sep 11, 2005
nah..there are 16yr old pple in college
Re: Why Do People Hide Their Age? by layi(m): 1:29pm On Sep 11, 2005
3rd yr?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EMS Speed Post Tracking Problem / More Passport Photos Of Nairalanders: Latest N D Newest N Really Updated! / Is West African Union University Accredited By NUC Or NOT!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.