Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Should A Christian Be Sick? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Be Sick? (2175 Views)

Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? / Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Be Sick? by ANENGI: 5:42pm On Jul 03, 2006
should a christian be sick? is it possible?
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by ANENGI: 5:54pm On Jul 03, 2006
Should a Christian be sick? Is it possible?
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by diddy4(m): 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2006
this is ridiculous. a xtian can fall sick and be cured. aint you human? abi have u got special powers? it is quite normal for people to fall sick but if you are a strong xtian, i dont think you would ever fall sick like that. its been 2 years since i ever fell sick and God is still keeping me alive and bouncing. I love you Jesus. kiss smiley smiley smiley
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by mlksbaby(f): 6:49pm On Jul 03, 2006
Lol, diddy4 - you spanked the enquirer in your opening lines. cheesy

A Christian shouldn't be sick, but it's possible.

"Shouldn't be sick" in context of sickness not being a necessary part of salvation - that is, Christ's death and resurrection was not accomplished so that Christians "should be" (or, 'ought to be') sick. However, even in our Christian experience, our bodies have not been glorified or perfected and are still subject to the various trials and experiences common to everyone else on earth. We still can experience hunger, illnesses and diseases through exposure to contributory factors, and sicknesses that are otherwise not based on mere biological and environmental causes.

(1) Christians in the NT who were sick or experienced illnesses/infirmities:

There are several reasons why Christians could experience illnesses or sickness. Trophimus, a Christian believer known to Paul, was at one time said to have been sick: "Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick." (2 Tim. 4:20). Again, even the apostle confirmed that he experienced some infirmity while he preached to the Galatians: "Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first." (Gal. 4:13). And of Timothy, a close associate of Paul, we read: "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." (1 Tim. 5:23). All these just outline the possibility that even Christians experience sicknesses as well as everyone else. In these cases, I would offer that biological or environmental causes played a role, especially where people are exposed to conditions that may bring on these infirmities.

(2) Other Possible Reasons Why Christians Experience Illnesses or Sickness

As far as I know, there are sicknesses or illnesses that result from open disobedience to God in the lives of believers. Paul pointed this out to the Corinthians at one time: "For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep." (1 Cor. 11:29-30). Perhaps, this sickness related to open sin is most certainly what was implied by James as well: "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him." (Jam. 5:14-15).

However, sometimes the illness may not be related to sin and disobedience; but quite on the contrary, related to deep obedience and commitment to the Lordship of Christ. Satan hates such devoted servants and ministers and will attack them with illnesses and sickness in order to discourage their walk with God or tempt them to cusre God in anguish - as was the case in Job, where his wife urged him to throw away his integrity and end it all up by cursing God to His face and die (the very thing instigated by Satan - read Job 2). In the NT, such trials may sometimes come to such committed believers as God permits, not because He doesn't care enough for them or that they understand very little about the ministry of "healing" (as we often hear in the Word of Faith movement and the "Prosperity Gospel" circles). Rather, God gives an opportunity to the devil to rubbish his boasts against the Lord.

Thus, we read in this connection that believers can count on the patience and faithfulness of God who cares for us and will bring His love to our situations at such times: "Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy." (Jam. 5:10-11). And we know of at least one such servant of Christ (besides Paul) who endured such trauma for the Lord's sake:

"Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick. For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow." (Phil. 2:25-27).

(3) What Happens When A Christian Is Sick?

The first thing is that we don't have to be looking out for sickness in our lives - there's no reason to do that, and so it is not the norm that Christians "should" be sick. However, it is possible to experience illness as a Christian, and as long as such is not living in sin before God, there's every reason to claim healing in the powerful name of Jesus Christ (I've experienced this and know some people who have been healed in spectacular ways). However, don't let the devil make you doubt your salvation just because of some experience of illness. It's unfortunate that some have imagined that anyone claiming to be 'saved' who is sick was actually not born again. This is not true at all - otherwise Paul, Timothy, Epaphroditus,a nd several others who not have been born again. Rather, we can pray and legitimately ask for healing by faith both for ourselves and others; and we can do so in full assurance that He hears and is more than willing to heal us and our loved ones, so long as we know we are not living in sin or disobedience before Him.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by diddy4(m): 6:56pm On Jul 03, 2006
@mlks baby
this your novel is too much ooo. i cudnt really need all that but nice work though. wink smiley smiley

i dont know if the guy that asked this question is one of those that believe that cuzz they go to church every sunday that they shouldnt fall sick. my man, sickness can come in any medium, some might be cuzz u disobeyed the Lord, others might be cuzz u r lacking some antibodies in your bloodstream, making you vulnerable to diseases and stuff. in any case, you should learn to pray and after, go to the hospital. i hope you aint among those that believe in if you are sick, you will lie down and wait till God comes to heal you. God didnt create doctors and nurses for nothing.
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by mlksbaby(f): 7:07pm On Jul 03, 2006
@diddy4 pal,

You just summarised my points; and no, I'm not one of those who ignore the services of our medical professionals. I just wanted to make things a bit easier by leaving references from the Bible to the points in my reply. Enjoy. wink
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by diddy4(m): 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2006
i gottchu sweety. wink wink
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by Drusilla(f): 3:56am On Jul 04, 2006
Christians can get sick, the same as they can stub their toe.
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by seunfolake(f): 8:56pm On Jul 07, 2006
is like saying can a xtian fail?yes it is possible,if that xtian does not prepare for the exam he will fail gallantly .we all know that ''a proper preparation prevents a poor performance''a xtian can even be poor if he or she does not obey the principles of creating wealth which are 1,save some portion of income
2,pay tithe
3, Give
4,spend less
5,buy what you need and not what u want,and so on
. a xtian should'nt be sick,but it is possible for a xtian to sick if he or she disobeys natural laws like not having enough rest,not eating well or at the right time,and so on.a xtian must not be sick if he or she applies wisdom to the right thing with his body system.

every thing in life is govern by principles, any attempt not to abide by the principles, one will definitely face the consequences .Though,God has given every xtian the ability not to fail,sick or be poor.if only we as xtians apply wisdom.
for example,i've not fallen sick for the past 8yrs,i do not only believe that by His stripes I am healed,I also carefully observe my body system,to rest,eat and sleep at the right time.
shalom!
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by dominobaby(f): 11:38pm On Jul 07, 2006
Appropriate responses.
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by 4getme1(m): 9:56am On Jul 08, 2006
Good response in seunfolake; but sometimes it is possible for Christians to get sick or experience some illness even after using wisdom and obeying the natural laws of hygiene and health habits. This is why I appreciate mlks_baby's detailed response. I'm sure Paul observed all the natural laws and health habits he knew how (especially because as a Jew he should have applied Jewish moral and dietary ethics that keeps them healthy); yet he was sick at some point (Gal. 4:13).

There are sicknesses that are biologically related and environmentally causative. However, there are sicknesses that are spiritually determined - especially when the enemy wants to resist a deeply devoted and fruitful servant of God. On the whole, thank God we have an unshakable victory in Jesus Christ.
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by macalurs(m): 3:30am On Nov 23, 2006
For Christsakes should anyone be sick? What kind'a stupid topic is this?
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by macalurs(m): 3:32am On Nov 23, 2006
Should christians die?
Should christians eat?
Should christians shit?
Should christians be sick?

Dumbasses
Re: Should A Christian Be Sick? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2010
4get_me:

Good response in seunfolake; but sometimes it is possible for Christians to get sick or experience some illness even after using wisdom and obeying the natural laws of hygiene and health habits. This is why I appreciate mlks_baby's detailed response. I'm sure Paul observed all the natural laws and health habits he knew how (especially because as a Jew he should have applied Jewish moral and dietary ethics that keeps them healthy); yet he was sick at some point (Gal. 4:13).

There are sicknesses that are biologically related and environmentally causative. However, there are sicknesses that are spiritually determined - especially when the enemy wants to resist a deeply devoted and fruitful servant of God. On the whole, thank God we have an unshakable victory in Jesus Christ.

which one is spiritual illness again?

(1) (Reply)

One Hundred Scriptural Arguments for the Unitarian Faith / Israel The Most Brutal And Heartless State In The Race Of Human Being / Are We All Born As Atheists?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.