Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

How Did God Reveal Himself to You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did God Reveal Himself to You? (3343 Views)

Does God Reveal To People Who Their Intending Spouses Are..... / Did God Reveal Himself To Only The Jewish Race? / Can God Reveal Your Spouse To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 4:54pm On Sep 08, 2005
When did you accept in your heart (and mind) that your idea of God exists?

When did you realise what his characteristics are, and how did you know?

I'm just curious.  Thanks for reading.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by hotangel2(f): 7:28pm On Sep 08, 2005
Since I was born. Since I was born, and through Sunday School classes.

I know you are curious. My pleasure reading. smiley
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by layi(m): 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2005
I see God all around me. His beautiful works speak a lot about Him. He hears my prayers. He gives me joy and peace beyond what the world can offer.

He reveals himself to me everyday through the bible, messages from annointed men and His still small voice during my quiet times. What more revelation do I need?
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 11:31pm On Sep 08, 2005
Some interesting answers: Knowledge of 'God' from the day you were born.

Without meaning to cause offence, if that were true, there would be no need for organized religion, people would know the truth.

As for 'God' being all around us, well that may or may not be true. But we all know that the world is not all good, and yet 'God' created everything, including those deemed responsible for the evil we see.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Jackie(f): 2:52am On Sep 09, 2005
@exu
God came to us 2000 years ago and none of us were in exitence by then,  and he's still gonna come, so we believe and live by the book of life which is the Bible.

exu:

as for 'god' being all around us, well that may or may not be true...but we all know that the world is not all good, and yet 'god' created everything, including those deemed responsible for the evil we see...

This is very true but again this is your choice,  God created the world, and he is very flexible  The Bible says i give you life and dead and it's totally your choice.  So for those who believe  in God, he sure does surronds them, but if you don't believe in God then u re doomed, they do all sorts of evil.

Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by goodguy(m): 4:01am On Sep 09, 2005
Through His word.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Seun(m): 5:21am On Sep 09, 2005
Jackie, are you suggesting that those who believe in God do not partake in the suffering in the world?
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Latoya(f): 6:08am On Sep 09, 2005
God has revealed himself to me in alot of ways.Just waking up every morning and seing the sun shinning,the air,the trees,flowers and all creatures is a reavelation to me because i have seen another day through his grace and i just go on my knees and thank him and glorify his name for that.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 11:20am On Sep 09, 2005
People keep bringing up the 'Bible', but as far as I'm aware wasn't the Bible written by man

Isn't everything man made, by nature, error strewn (according to 'God's word')

P.s.
Do you guys ever ask yourself who it was/the type of people who wrote the books that make up the Bible

Also, the position that religion/religious leaders held at the time the Bible was written?

1 Like

Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by layi(m): 11:38am On Sep 09, 2005
exu:

People keep bringing up the 'Bible', but as far as I'm aware wasn't the Bible written by man

Its not a question of who, what and how the bible was written. Its a question of how it has affected you. Which ultimately confirms its "trueness".
Afterall you've never seen ur liver but u believe u have it cos scientists say so (with proofs).
Likewise GOD reveals himself through people as well (Bible writers). He also reveals himself to you personally.
Truth is GOD is not hidden. He is revealed but man has just refused to see "it" as GOD.

1 Like

Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 3:38pm On Sep 09, 2005
I know I have a liver because it has been scientifically proven, several times...that was a bad analogy my friend.

However, the only thing we know regarding God is that his existence is a possibility...therefore all the claims made as to God's benevolent, omnipotent character are, at best, guess work...

Just because it's recorded in a book does not mean that it's true...
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by layi(m): 4:57pm On Sep 09, 2005
exu:

I know I have a liver because it has been scientifically proven, several times...that was a bad analogy my friend.

Bad analogy? so u think? proof or no proof. have u ever seen your own liver. How r u sure u've got one? It seems u guyz based your arguments on the fact that u must see God to believe.
I ask again. have u ever seen ur liver? How r u sure you've got one?
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Seun(m): 5:08pm On Sep 09, 2005
Doctors work a lot with dead people and they have observed that they all have livers.  In addition, you can scan the body of a live human being using modern non-intrusive devices to establish the presence of liver in just about every human being.  They have also observed that those whose livers are removed or damaged due to accidents or infection will experience a lot of health problems and die within a short time.  So if exu is a healthy it is logical to conclude that he has a liver based on a mountain of consistent evidence.

On the other hand, how many documented reports of people who have been to heaven do we have?  Of those who claim to have had out-of-body or near-death experiences, or who claimed that they saw heaven, how come their tales are always inconsistent

And why did the Nigerian TV evangelists stop broadcasting their miracle programmes when NCC insisted that they most show evidence that these miracles are really happening?

1 Like

Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by layi(m): 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2005
Seun:

........So if exu is a healthy it is logical to conclude that he has a liver based on a mountain of consistent evidence......
Logical to conclude? Truth remains, you've never seen your own liver. U believe because of the documented evidences.
Why stop me for believin' the existence of GOD through the Bible (documented evidence).
Whichever way u see it. Man cannot not believe. Its innate in us. What u believe is a different topic.

Seun:

......... In addition, you can scan the body of a live human being using modern non-intrusive devices to establish the presence of liver in just about every human being.
A feat that was seen as imposssible centuries ago. Science keeps growing. Science is not infallible and thus should never be a final authority on the issues of Life. What can't be proven now might be proven in future.

U cannot proof an unseen reality. And truth is not all realities can be seen or understood. Man knows this. Its just the ego in us that makes us believe anything we can't subdue or understand is non existent.
I know there is a God deep within my spirit. And yes, man has a spirit that no scientific experiment can fathom.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 5:46pm On Sep 09, 2005
Man cannot not believe. Its innate in us.

Please could you clarify this statement...

Are you saying that God is innate in us?

Or, are you saying the need to 'believe' is innate?

Thanks.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Seun(m): 6:01pm On Sep 09, 2005
layi: Why stop me for believin' the existence of GOD through the Bible (documented evidence).

The documented evidence of the bible dates back thousands of years, during which it may have been corrupted by scholars, religous leaders, etc. It is well established that ancient cultures in bible times often modified the truth to suit the desires or beliefs of the people in power. And I am sure you are aware of the contradictions in the bible.

So why can't we collect new documented evidence from contemporary life? Why does faith we have to rely on documents that may have been fabricated or adulterated over thousands of years? Why cant those things that supposedly happened thousands of years ago happen again so our scientists can record them and update science?

1 Like

Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Greatpeter(m): 6:03pm On Sep 09, 2005
Seun there is no contradictions in the Bible please.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 6:18pm On Sep 09, 2005
Here's one of many (and I mean, many) contradictions in the Bible...

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Like Seun said the Bible was written by people who were either powerful or looking to curry favour from those in power...There was very little, if any, difference between politics and religion in ancient civilizations: those in positions of authority claimed to receive their power directly from 'God' as opposed to the people...

1 Like

Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by vexxy(f): 6:47pm On Sep 09, 2005
exu:

What are the versus that come before and after those in which you quote?  In what context does it fit?  Who exactly was in this conversation under what pretense?  It's easy for one to take them out of context to fit the need of an argument.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by Seun(m): 6:10am On Sep 10, 2005
Exu, read my post again, please. I did not make any claims about the bible except that it has some apparent contradictions, which is a fact known by every student of the bible. I was not trying to insult anyone's faith at all; I'm just trying to invite people to look at the issue from another angle, if they so desire.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by exu(m): 8:12pm On Sep 10, 2005
I apologise if I've put you in an akward position Seun...

As for you Miss Vexxy...how can you possibly say that either of those statements has been 'taken out of context' (isn't that what dishonest politicians say when they've been exposed?)...

There is a lot of ambiguity within the Bible, but those are two of the clearer verses...
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by vexxy(f): 3:36am On Sep 11, 2005
exu:

No. It's the words of those who have been mis-quoted. It's a little trick that the media plays; only giving you a "sound bite" of what was said but if you listen to the whole thing, you'll get a whole other meaning. wink
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by layi(m): 12:14pm On Sep 11, 2005
@Exu:

The Bible is a compilation of truths from different authors. Style of writing and aim may differ. Reason why u can't pick words/quotes out of context just to suit Ur argument.

Have u not read books where u get something like...
Page 15 line 2:  .....He went into the room and met Adam dead.......
U get to another page
Page 19 line 6 ......the doctor found out he was just comatose. Adam didn't die afterall

Would i be right to just pick out "Adam dead" and "Adam didn't die" ?

The Bible is a book for heaven sake and not some keypoints or nuggets. You can't read out of context.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by goodguy(m): 10:35pm On Sep 11, 2005
The Bible tells us: All scripture is given by the inspiration of the Holy spirit.
2Peter 1:21:"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

Who says the Bible is compiled by different authors?
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by angelak(f): 10:50am On Sep 12, 2005
Seun what's your faith?
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by angelak(f): 11:02am On Sep 12, 2005
At the back of my mind i had always known that God Almighty exists. But i had a very personal encounter with him when i was in jss 3 class. It was beautiful, there was nothing i asked for that i did not get mysteriously. The highest one that happen was when i was in the university, i needed 10,000 naira for something real important by the next morning. i didn't have it, i had no one in mind who could have given me the cash at short notice so i simply asked God for if. First thing the next morning , i was called from home and told that my aunt from America had sent me 10,000naira. I didn't beg her for it and i never mentioned my problems to her. I have so many other Miracles that God has done in my Life since i encountered him.His marvelous.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by layi(m): 11:17am On Sep 12, 2005
Science doesnt believe in the Spiritual realm but this realm exists. Have u ever dreamt of something and it happened days later. Can science explain such?

goodguy:

......Who says the Bible is compiled by different authors?

The enitre Bible might have been God-breathed but its a compilation of several books/epistles by 40+ authors over a period of about 1600yrs. There were several writers from diff generations yet no discrepancy. A fact that attests to its trueness/divinity.

@angelaK
I have had several miraculous encounters as well. I guess thats 1 of the ways God reveals himself to us.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by angelak(f): 2:00pm On Sep 12, 2005
Sure Layi!
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by goodguy(m): 9:34pm On Sep 12, 2005
Yeah ... God reveals himself to us in mysterious ways.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by skima(m): 7:26pm On Sep 13, 2005
When i was young : things I thought most was "Who created this earth? who created the person that created earth? then where are we gong after death? then wat will happen when we are in the grave? these are few of my thinking until i started to hear abt God. Before i saw His great handiworks.

God dey ooo.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by skima(m): 7:29pm On Sep 13, 2005
If u don't think he exist . Think of a ship leaving Nigeria for UK without a captain. Is this possible? Can life exist without a monitor? thats enough  a way God reveal himself.
only if u don't seat on your own to think about this things.
Re: How Did God Reveal Himself to You? by goodguy(m): 7:33pm On Sep 13, 2005
rolleyes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Born Again Christian Don't Wear Trouser / The Tithe Is Unlawful - Nigerian Follow Follow Christians Will Believe Anything / Evangelism 1 - What is Evangelism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.