Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls (1715 Views)

McCain Fires Back At Putin With America's Own Letter To Russians / South Korea Gets First Female President / US Elections 2008 Results: Obama vs Mccain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by bawomolo(m): 3:37am On Sep 08, 2008

David Paul Kuhn Sun Sep 7, 3:52 PM ET

John McCain has overtaken Barack Obama in the Gallup daily tracking poll and has his highest level of support in that poll since early May.
ADVERTISEMENT

McCain leads Obama 48 percent to 45 percent among registered voters, by Gallup’s measure. McCain has so far earned the same convention bounce as Obama, though at a more rapid pace.

Obama peaked at a 5-point convention bounce in polling published last Tuesday. He was ahead 49 percent to 43 percent in the Gallup poll conducted before the Republican convention. He then soared to 50 percent for the first time of the election, by Gallup’s measure, while McCain fell to 42 percent.

McCain’s 5-point to 6-point bounce so far, like Obama’s, remains at par with historical expectations. In the 22 major-party conventions since 1964, the nominee walked away with, on average in most years, a 5-point to 6-point uptick in Gallup’s polls. The presidential polling will likely remain in flux until the middle of next week.

Today's Gallup report continues to include some polling conducted prior to McCain's acceptance speech. Tomorrow's report will be the first to include interviews solely conducted following the close of the GOP convention.

Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll also reported today that when "leaners” are included, Obama and McCain are now tied at 48 percent. That means that, by Rasmussen’s measure, Obama’s 6-point bounce has been erased. CBS News polling had shown the same outcome midway through the GOP convention.

McCain’s resurgence in the polls comes as Nielsen Media Research reported that the Republican convention earned more television viewers than the Democratic convention. Republicans earned an average audience of 34.5 million, while Democrats earned an average viewership of 30.2 million.

Obama, McCain and GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin all earned a similar and record audience for their convention speeches, each nearing about 40 million viewers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080907/pl_politico/13228

obama get to work, americans are not down with ur Mr Nice guy persona. get bold
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Nobody: 4:43am On Sep 08, 2008
DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!

DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by KojoAseda(m): 4:43am On Sep 08, 2008
There are different polls, and this one is not necessarily representative of them all. Obama has a lead in the states that will determine the election: Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, and Florida. I think once the debates start he's a gonna get in quite easily.

One thing you have to remember about American democracy is that it's not up to the absolute majority to elect someone. Each state has a certain amount of electoral votes which represent the individual votes. A person can win an election without having to get an absolute majority. If it sounds confusing it's because it is,
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by KojoAseda(m): 4:44am On Sep 08, 2008
The last thing we need to do is drill for more oil. We need to develop alternative energy resources, We need to stop raping the environment and spoiling the atmosphere
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Nobody: 4:50am On Sep 08, 2008
khai_khai:

DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!

DRILL BABY DRILL!!!!

Sorry,

USA!!

USA!!

the mumu people no know say olympics don end.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by KojoAseda(m): 4:51am On Sep 08, 2008
Let me guess, you support the right-wing Christian fundamentalists?
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Nobody: 5:01am On Sep 08, 2008
Or maybe the left-wing mega rockstars.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Ibime(m): 11:29am On Sep 08, 2008
All these polls don't matter.

What matters is the no of electoral votes each candidate is projected to win.

28% of Americans are Republican but a lot of these Republicans are concentrated in the South and Bible belt and are only chasing the same electoral votes.

Obama is currently expected to win 301 electoral votes.

McCain is expected to win 224.

There are another 160 which are up in the air, therefore we will see strong campaigning in the marginal states - Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, etc.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by SeanT21(f): 2:24pm On Sep 08, 2008
Ibime:

28% of Americans are Republican but a lot of these Republicans are concentrated in the South and Bible belt and are only chasing the same electoral votes.

There are another 160 which are up in the air, therefore we will see strong campaigning in the marginal states - Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, etc.

Yes, Electoral Votes was the reason bush won in 04. Kerry got the popular vote.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by sleekp1: 2:53pm On Sep 08, 2008
The only reason Obama might lose is if "good" whites, blacks, Latinos etc stayed at home on november 4.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by TayoD1(m): 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2008
@sleek_p,

The only reason Obama might lose is if "good" whites, blacks, Latinos etc stayed at home on november 4.
What do you mean by "good' whites. The level of racism I see on this thread is mind-boggling.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@sleek_p,
What do you mean by "good' whites. The level of racism I see on this thread is mind-boggling.

dont be ridiculous. There is worse racism here in the US than on this thread. Racism is perhaps the only reason Republicans still have a shot at the white house after the catastrophic Bush yrs.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by TayoD1(m): 4:55pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Davidylan,

don't be ridiculous. There is worse racism here in the US than on this thread. Racism is perhaps the only reason Republicans still have a shot at the white house after the catastrophic Bush years.
Your blind support of Obama is obviously affecting your judgement. Racism in the US and Obama got about the same number of votes as Hillary? You should be ashamed of yourself.

In your estimation, the reason I am not supporting Obam is because he is black?
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
Your blind support of Obama is obviously affecting your judgement. Racism in the US and Obama got about the same number of votes as Hillary? You should be ashamed of yourself.

In your estimation, the reason I am not supporting Obam is because he is black?

Lets face facts. If Hillary Clinton were the democratic nominee McCain would have zero chance at the white house. FACT! And it has nothing to do with Hillary's experience.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Sep 08, 2008
The playing of this "RACE" card has gone too far. It sort of reminds me of the situation in Nigeria and how we continually play the "TRIBAL/RACE" card there too and never get anything done well. I find it really appalling that people barely speak of the issues but continue to make this about the color of a persons skin. God save America!!
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by toshmann(m): 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2008
SeanT21:

Yes, Electoral Votes was the reason bush won in 04. Kerry got the popular vote.

wrong, bush beat john kerry hands down. bush had the largest number of popular votes in history. he beat kerry in both electoral votes and popular votes.

Ibime:

i wonder how u git thesefigures, a candidate needs only 270 electoral votes to sit at the oval office. both candidates have none now, and polls matter, they are often correct. for now it's Mac de marverick tongue

and i live in ohio, obama should forget this state b/c apart from the few african americans who live in the unfortunate neighbourhoods of dayton, cincinnatti and cleveland, ohio is largely white grin . the whole surburbs are basiccally white, conservative whites, sworn republicans grin if obama likes let him spend $200 million here, he is loosing ohio

davidylan:

don't be ridiculous. There is worse racism here in the US than on this thread. Racism is perhaps the only reason Republicans still have a shot at the white house after the catastrophic Bush years.

sorry david, but when we talk of racism, the US is less culpable than the UK(i schooled in the UK), and definitely nigeria. in nigeria, we are all the same color, the same country, yet u wont believe how much we disliked each other. i went to unical, and igbo schooling in an efik land, u wont believe how much igbos were disliked just for being igbo, if that is not racism, tell me what it is. obama could win an election in illinois, but awolowo cant win local govt election in umuahia. trust me. so we are not better that the so called white racist.

and no black man can even dream of being british prime minister. infact no white catholic can even dream of that job. so americans even tried. what of all the white people that supported him against white hillary? can u find 2 million igbos who would vote for a yoruba man against an igbo candidate in a free and fair election? No(and vice versa)

so leave that racism stuff. republicans know how to win elections, democrats dont. period.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by bawomolo(m): 5:20pm On Sep 08, 2008
he lead was McCain's biggest since January and a turnaround from a USA Today poll taken just before last week's Republican Party convention opened, when the veteran Arizona senator trailed Obama by 7 percentage points.

The new poll, taken Friday through Sunday, showed McCain leading Obama, a first-term senator from Illinois, by 50 percent to 46 percent among registered voters with less than two months before the November 4 election.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080908/pl_nm/usa_politics_poll_dc

one has to wonder if hillary clinton as VP nominee would have been a better choice to combat sarah palin's "appeal".
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by toshmann(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2008
this new polls show one thing,

obama has lost.

McCain will respore a responsible republican leadership and americans will trust republicans again. it will take another I6-20 yrs for democrats to smell the white house again. they can win the congress, govs etc, not president
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by mystikal(m): 5:50pm On Sep 08, 2008
I'm beginning to think Hilary as vice president would have been the best option, McCain would have stood no chance in that scenario

this election was for the democrats to win. if they dont they'll as well forget about the white house for a long time

McCain try sha
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Ibime(m): 7:13pm On Sep 08, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,

A white man said something on the radio yesterday. . . . if Obama was white, the ticket would already be signed sealed and delivered. . . . if he was white, even Bill Clinton of 1992 couldn't match his popularity. . . .
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2008
Definitely, Hillary as VP would have made the dream team for the democrats. I doubt the polls would have remained as close as it has if that had been the case. Unfortunately, that did not happen. As much as I did not like her politics and all, I have to admit the woman has an army out there who remain miffed. I don't really put a lot of stock in the polls. We are less than 60 days to D-Day, in my opinion, a historical election date.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by darfur(m): 7:43pm On Sep 08, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Definitely, Hillary as VP would have made the dream team for the democrats. I doubt the polls would have remained as close as it has if that had been the case. Unfortunately, that did not happen. As much as I did not like her politics and all, I have to admit the woman has an army out there who remain miffed. I don't really put a lot of stock in the polls. We are less than 60 days to D-Day, in my opinion, a historical election date.

no way, no how, no hillary angry

let obama loose. we cannot be fooled. this election is about personalities. hillary and her terrible supporters will be a minus for obama and what he stands for. let him loose with respect. her supporters still wont accept obama even if she is VP. and if per-adventure they do, it is dangerous as one of them will shoot him someday to make her VP. she and her supporters are terrible human beings, sore loosers, mostly racist, let them go and hang. and if i were obama i'll ask her to stop campaigning for obama ticket.

she wants obama to loose. so she can run in 20I2, She is a witch, politically malicious, untrustworthy and dangerous to both obama's political life and his actual life.

let her shut up . americans may choose McCain. fine.and more importantly america has got a female hero, and it is not her tongue

i hate her cheesy
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by KarmaMod(f): 7:44pm On Sep 08, 2008
darfur:

[.and more importantly america has got a female hero, and it is not her tongue

Um who?
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 08, 2008
KarmaMod:

Um who?

the snake-in-lipstick.

DRILL-BABY-DRILL!!!
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by bawomolo(m): 8:20pm On Sep 08, 2008
abi na oprah
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On Sep 08, 2008
Oh Please!!! Can we not bring poor Oprah into this?? The woman has always been selective when it comes to who she invites on her show or not. I doubt Oprah had anything to do with the move. I do hope people do not put a lot of stock in these numbers.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by RichyBlacK(m): 10:37pm On Sep 08, 2008
davidylan:

Nephew David,

I've always known that inside that pugilist exterior lies an embracer of truth!

This post has made my day!  grin

Keep the truth-flag flying high!
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by KarmaMod(f): 1:49pm On Sep 09, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Oh Please!!! Can we not bring poor Oprah into this?? The woman has always been selective when it comes to who she invites on her show or not. I doubt Oprah had anything to do with the move. I do hope people do not put a lot of stock in these numbers.

Wasnt it obvious to you that the Oprah comment was sarcastic?

You tend to freak out alot, Kobo. Perhaps that's why many assume you're a female tongue
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by NegroNtns(m): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2008
Karma,

I thought you were a Clinton Democrat? I don't understand with all these people that suddenly got politics because a black man is running for Presidency.

republicans know how to win elections, democrats don't. period

Toshman, if I hadn't retired my 1985 Nissan 300Z Turbo, I would have it shipped to you. You stated the bottom line.
Democrats don't take lessons from their defeats. They keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. I wonder when they gonna learn, apparently not in 08 elections.

Look at Bush scorecard for 8yrs, nothing but sorrow and anguish and yet the only success that Democrats had in congressional elections was a marginal 1 in senate. They are a sorry ass! 8yrs of negative results by Republicans and here we are less than 60days to election and Obama is tied with McCain in polls. Howard Dean should be fired.
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by JeSoul(f): 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2008
Negro_Ntns:

Toshman, if I hadn't retired my 1985 Nissan 300Z Turbo, I would have it shipped to you. You stated the bottom line.
Democrats don't take lessons from their defeats. They keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. I wonder when they going to learn, apparently not in 08 elections.

Look at Bush scorecard for 8yrs, nothing but sorrow and anguish and yet the only success that Democrats had in congressional elections was a marginal 1 in senate. They are a sorry ass! 8yrs of negative results by Republicans and here we are less than 60days to election and Obama is tied with McCain in polls. Howard Dean should be fired.
Lol . . . Democrats should indeed be strolling all the way to the white house but as you both astutely noted, the Democrats dunno how to win elections. Obama shoulda swallowed his pride and picked Hillary, instead of sweating with McCain, they would both be on a beach in the Carribean right now with Michelle and Bill cool
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by Uche2nna(m): 3:44pm On Sep 09, 2008
This trend emphasizes how fickle the political terrain is. Very easy for one to become an also-ran. Please dont get it all twisted; the polls actually bears some considerable significance. It is always an uphill task to win when U are behind in the popular polls. Obama has his work cut out for him. He really have to be at his very best to pull this one off.

The Sarah Palin -factor is really generating a positive buzz for this McCain guy. It would be very intersting to see how Hillary reacts to all this. My personal opinion is that she still has some part to play in this election.

As for Obama not picking Hillary, I think I respect his choice. Obama/Hillary ticket would have proven unstoppable but all to what end. It would definitely give Obama the ticket but then would that fit into the message of change Obama was singing all thru the primaries? If he loses cos he stood by his principles, then so be it. Maybe America aint ready for that kind of change yet. I applaud him!!!
Re: Mccain Gets First Lead In The Polls by NegroNtns(m): 4:06pm On Sep 09, 2008
It would definitely give Obama the ticket but then would that[b] fit into the message of change Obama was singing all through the primaries[/b]?

Where is his principle on change when you overstep a 12yr congressional senator on accusation of being Old Washington to go grab a 30yr congressional senator on the prospect of change coming to America. What change?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Killed Six Of The Terror Nine,commando Tells Newspaper - Hamas Supporters Read / LEAKED: Hillary Clinton’s Private Meetings With Muslim Brotherhood / Ukraine Destroyed Pathogens Of Deadly Diseases USA Was Building In Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.