Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,021 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:36 AM

Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? (9731 Views)

Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Unfulfilled Prophecies By Men Of God / Should Men Of God Have Bodyguards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 08, 2008

Should men of God divorce and remarry? That is a question many people are now asking, considering the spate of divorces rocking the temples of God in and outside Lagos, specifically about preachers in those temples. Sunday Sun took the question to ministers in the Lord’s vineyard. Their verdict, unsurprisingly, runs against the common practice nowadays by their colleagues in cassock…

Just last week, newspaper and tabloid editors devoted yards and yards of space to the marriage of preacher of the Household of God Church, Chris Okotie. It was his second. The first ended in an acrimonious divorce that tabloid reporters feasted on for weeks. Before his marital vows to a church member a week ago, speculation had been rife as to who the voluble preacher will eventually march with to the altar, and for good reason.

Of all the preachers in Lagos today, Okotie is one of the most charismatic, and he runs an equally charismatic church at Oregun. His sartorial preference is as distinct as his spoken English, something he hoped to woo the electorate with in 2003 during the presidential election but without success. Watched keenly like a Hollywood star from when he started out as a musician more than 30 years ago, Okotie has never for one moment been out of public glare.

Which was why when news of his forthcoming marriage broke weeks ago, the public naturally followed every step of the way. Away from public discourse however, the news brought to the fore whether preachers, or those in the service of God, could divorce and remarry.
Sometime back, flamboyant minister of God in Warri, Delta State, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, lost his wife. The man of God has since remarried. Committed Christians say it is in order, for there was no divorce before his spouse died. So, in effect, he could seek another woman’s hand in matrimony.
But the same cannot be said of Pastor Okotie, a Delta State-born but Lagos-based preacher. Their reasoning is that Okotie did not lose his first wife as happened to Oritsejafor. His wife divorced him, contrary to Biblical injunction that “what God has joined together, no man can put asunder.” Again, another portion in the Holy book cautions that “whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, commit adultery.”

For Fr. Anthony Obadina of the Holy Family Catholic Church in Festac Town, a preacher divorcing and remarrying is out of sync with Christian practices. “The position of the church and the Bible has not changed. As you very well know, what God has joined together no man can put asunder.” Marriages, the Catholic clergy insists, need “openess, sincerity, understanding, love and caring to work.”
Other clerics spoken to share Fr. Obadina’s view. Bishop Charles Ighele of Holy Spirit Mission, Happy Family Chapel and facilitator of Institute for Marriage and Family Intimacy Studies, Lagos, said the same conditions that apply to every believer on divorce and marriage are the same conditions that apply to preachers.

Death, he said, is one of the factors. “Once your spouse dies, you can remarry. The second is adultery. And in that very aduletry, there should be forgiveness. The third is if somebody becomes an unbeliever. If somebody in the marriage decides to behave like an unbeliever, and says that I don’t want to marry again, the person that is being abandoned is not in any bondage to stay single forever. Such a person is permitted to remarry.

“This is the group that somebody like Pastor Chris Okotie belongs because the wife felt she did not want to marry again. Any other cases of divorce and remarrying by some other pastors do not fall into any of these categories. Therefore, their getting divorced and remarrying is totally unbiblical and inexcusable.”
In the words of one of them, “the balanced bible teaching on marriage from Genesis to Revelation is that marriage is a lifetime affair. Divorce is permissible but not remarriage. A man is bound to his mate for better for worse, richer or poorer until death do them part. This is the Lord’s teaching.”

Rev Peter Ashimi
What the bible says is that if the partner is still alive, the man of God should not remarry. if before he became a minister of God the wife left him and she is now married, the man can remarry in order not to burn with passion. But if it happens while he is a Christian he cannot remarry while the woman is still alive. That is why everybody should look very well before marriage. We must be able to take responsibility for our decision. If the woman leaves, she breaks the covenant of the first marriage.

In my opinion instead of the man burning with passion it is better he remarries. That is better than philandering all over the church. But let me tell you one truth, we are not God. The issue of marriage cannot make or mar our heaven. It won't be criteria for heaven. God will not ask you whether you marry or remarry before He allows you into heaven. Instead of going to hell it is better to remarry. If a woman leaves a man for another man and he gets about three children, do you expect the man to wait till she dies? It is only God that knows best in that area. It is my opinion. and what we are taught is that once a woman leaves a man, she has broken the covenant of the first marriage and that means the man is no longer bound.

Pastor Ibukun Ayanwale
Generally, when a woman is still alive the man of God should not remarry. in the book of Malachi God, says he hates divorce. According to the word of God, a man of God should not remarry. Even if he is burning with passion, minister should not remarry because we have men of God who are eunuchs.

Pastor Ayomide Abraham
The man of God should not remarry even if he is burning with passion. a lot of people hide under that burning with passion phrase to contravene the word of God. People are leaving their wives here and going to South Africa to remarry. Anybody can say whatever he wants, what the Bible says is what stands; and that is, men of God should not remarry.

hmmm
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by MrCrackles(m): 12:10pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Mesmya

Mama Ibeji how far?!

Anyway wetin Pastor Chris go come do naw wey he don marry Stephanie Henshaw? (abi na Kate Henshaw!)
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 08, 2008
who be mama ibeji angry take ya time ooo, grin i dey jare,how body? kiss
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by MrCrackles(m): 12:39pm On Sep 08, 2008
mesmya:

who be mama ibeji angry take ya time ooo, grin i dey jare,how body? kiss

grin

body dey fine, dey chillax inside clothe!

cold don wan finish me for here!! cry
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2008
@poster dude open your eyes the bible used to be cleverness of a few and the fear of many, do you really believe in that old testament God.
I will address your post, this is not the first time man and woman begin cause problem in fact it was the biggest issue during the anglican break out from the catholic church. In all the only answers you would find are those that are personal interpretations from the holy book of confusion.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2008
Holy Book of Confusion? smiley

The Bible is so Plain and Simple that it Confuses the Seemly Wise
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by rampagain: 2:29pm On Sep 08, 2008
Gamine:

Holy Book of Confusion?  smiley

kiss kiss
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by bawomolo(m): 3:49pm On Sep 08, 2008
Gamine:

Holy Book of Confusion? smiley

so which of the bible is so plain and simple. the mormon, protestant, catholic or greek orthodox ones etc??
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Gamine
I suppose you are one of the few that understand it then, and please don't say it is plain and simple how could this world have been created some thousands of years ago or noah had to put a dinosaur on the ark if you can tell me how plainly and simply it would be a start.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 4:12pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Bawo.

The Bible is one, watever the translation and it dosnt contradict.

Language may cause confusion though.

@Chris.
Jesus said, You have to come as a Child. . . . . .

The World was created, yes. isnt that plain to see?

And if Noah put a Dinosaur in the ark, whats the complaint about? undecided
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Gamine ok maybe you did not understand me, a 5.8 million year old human fossil was found in ethiopia how does that fit into the creation story in the bible? Or that science has put the earth at around 4.5 billion years old? You care to answer those now they are more explicit?
Oh and the noah dinosaur drift I was talking about, sorry to burst the bubble but there is no way man would have lived side by side a T.rex let alone forget to record it.
Factor these in and you will see that is the reason why there is so much confusion in christianity because it was man made.
@post Sorry dude but if you check jewish history you might find the roots of the rules of marriage similar if not one hundred percent the same to the bible, in essence you are just asking if Men of God should get married according to the adulterate version of Judaism.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 5:38pm On Sep 08, 2008
I dont know how True the claims of these people who find Bones and things are.

What i do Know, is GOD CREATED THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH, EVERYTHING.

Whether they are Billions of years old, God Created them!

As For Noah and The T-Rex, Thanks for giving me inspiration for a book

What makes you think it entered the boat sef? IT could have perished in the flood.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by bawomolo(m): 5:41pm On Sep 08, 2008
The Bible is one, watever the translation and it dosnt contradict.

Language may cause confusion though.

oh really, are u trying to say there is only a linguistic difference between the mormon, catholic and greek orthodox bibles. are u sure?
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by KunleOshob(m): 5:42pm On Sep 08, 2008
Gamine:

As For Noah and The T-Rex, Thanks for giving me inspiration for a book
What makes you think it entered the boat sef? IT could have perished in the flood.

Brilliant answer grin
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by mazaje(m): 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2008
Which flood? the noah ark story was a plagarized myth. . . . . . .
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 5:56pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Bawo.

I handled the "Mormon" bible yesterday.

It is a Combo of THE BIBLE, Mormon Scriptures and some other literature.

The Bible is the same.

Languages may cause confusion but the underlying meaning is never really lost, i dont have to explain this.

@Mazaje,

smiley smiley We have heard
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by mazaje(m): 6:02pm On Sep 08, 2008
Gamine:

@Bawo.

I handled the "Mormon" bible yesterday.

The Bible is the same.

Languages may cause confusion but the underlying meaning is never really lost, i don't have to explain this.

@Mazaje,

smiley smiley We have heard

ok. . . . . . . .
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by bettes(f): 6:44pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Poster: The Bible makes it clear, it says a man should not divorce his wife except on grounds of infidelity and if he does he should remain single ,any woman he marries will become an adulterer and he will also be guilty of adultery.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:49pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Gamine Surley you did not really think hard before you said that just now, I will assume you are serious. Let me even let you in more into the absurdity of your story, let me start with the dimensions of such a vessel, from the bible the length of the ark is about 137m or 450 feet about 32m longer than the schooner wyoming which is the largest timber hulled vessel built in modern times. Now for a little lesson in Engineering, you see my dear ships like the wyoming suffered hull seperation, hogging, sagging serious leaking and a host of other problems despite the Iron reinforcement. Oh I forgot to remind you to put a stop watch on because he was supposed to have pulled this is off in seven days ok. Good now that you have done that lets go to lesson 2 in engineering today, if the ark was miraculously made in that time frame by some eistenlike thinking how could it have supported its own weight? Answer that ( scientifically) and then we move to lesson 3, lets talk volume, from the dimensions the ark would been about 40,000 cubic meters in volume, a displacement of about 22,000 tons and a total floor space of 100,000 square feet, this brings me to your earlier assertion which said how did the T.rex manage to squeeze in male and female with two of the other species of every other animal in the world, don't forget now that the bible is plain and simple and did not state in anyway that noah failed to achieve this feat, and surley 7 days would be too small for noah to build this piece of extreme engineering even by today's standards and manage to get all the animals in at the same time. Ok again lets make yet another assumption that he somehow managed this feat how did just 8 people take care of all these animals and feed them, oh food! Thats right where did all the food they ate while in the ark come from? And how where they stored the animals would have consumed food that would weigh more than them in that time , oh my is the ark beginning to sink? Are we forgetting something important we know when we eat our bodies have to remove waste products, how did noah deal with that of animals.
There is a lot more to ask but I think the intelligent mind should catch the gist.
@kunle is the idea still so brilliant?
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 7:19pm On Sep 08, 2008
Chris,

im sure the audience in your mind is giving you a standing ovation. smiley

I took the pain, for your sake[, and mine/i] to read through your post. [i]please next time, don't economize on paragraphs, space and punctuations

Well, we are deviating from the topic at hand

but i will just put this to u.

Yes, if God instructed Noah to build the ark, You can be rest assured that God must have seen it through to completion
He would never tell man to do something way beyond his power, btw he could also have hired people to help out.

The ark had dimensions which provided perfect stability, Its length to width ratio of six to one provided excellent stability on the high seas.
In every way, it was admirably suited for riding out the tremendous storms.The Engineers you are quoting
will also tell you that it would have been impossible for the ark to be overturned.

The Bible indicates that God gathered the animals and brought them to Noah inside the ark two by two.
Some have suggested this may have involved the origin of animal migratory instincts or, at least, an intensification of it.
We also know that most animals possess the ability to sense danger and to move to a place of safety.

Have you heard of Hibernation/Dormancy in Animals?

About Waste products? i dont believe you expect me to answer this.

Besides, The Dinosaurs if taken aboard, didnt have to be full grown T-Rex

Whats wrong in taking, babies and eggs, they still represent the species.

So my man, Look before jumping into the Flood, Get on the Boat now! smiley
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by minute(f): 7:38pm On Sep 08, 2008
hmm . . . .People will twist words around to suit whatever needs that they have.

You really cant look to anyone but yourself for answers here.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by mazaje(m): 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2008
Gamine:

Chris,

im sure the audience in your mind is giving you a standing ovation. smiley

I took the pain, for your sake[, and mine/i] to read through your post. [i]please next time, don't economize on paragraphs, space and punctuations

Well, we are deviating from the topic at hand

but i will just put this to u.

Yes, if God instructed Noah to build the ark, You can be rest assured that God must have seen it through to completion
He would never tell man to do something way beyond his power, between he could also have hired people to help out.

The ark had dimensions which provided perfect stability, Its length to width ratio of six to one provided excellent stability on the high seas.
In every way, it was admirably suited for riding out the tremendous storms.The Engineers you are quoting
will also tell you that it would have been impossible for the ark to be overturned.

The Bible indicates that God gathered the animals and brought them to Noah inside the ark two by two.
Some have suggested this may have involved the origin of animal migratory instincts or, at least, an intensification of it.
We also know that most animals possess the ability to sense danger and to move to a place of safety.

Have you heard of Hibernation/Dormancy in Animals?

About Waste products? i don't believe you expect me to answer this.

Besides, The Dinosaurs if taken aboard, didnt have to be full grown T-Rex

So my man, Look before jumping into the Flood, Get on the Boat now! smiley

The noah's ark story was stolen from an earlier civilization. . . . . . The hebrew god directed noah on what animals to take into the ark and eggs were never mentioned, . . . . . the egg assumtion is your personal opinion. . . . . . No wonder you guys have over 30,000 sects in christianity each figting and castigating each other because the whole faith is anchored upon personal opinion and interpretaion. . . . . . . .
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by bawomolo(m): 8:08pm On Sep 08, 2008
Gamine:

how were u able to separate the mormon scriptures from the biblical ones? i'm really interested in knowning that.  u haven't answered questions about the catholic, greek orthodox bible or even the rastafarian one  grin grin grin

you might want to read this before u claim the bible has simple to understand

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_Bible.shtml#lost

the eggs would die without the mother keeping it at a constant temperature, the babies can't survive without their mama either.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2008
mazaje:

The noah's ark story was stolen from an earlier civilization. . . . . .  The hebrew god directed noah on what animals to take into the ark and eggs were never mentioned,  . . . . .  the egg assumtion is your personal opinion. . . . . . No wonder you guys have over 30,000 sects in christianity each figting and castigating each other because the whole faith is anchored upon personal opinion and interpretaion. . . . . . . .

y u dey put  mouth for Gamine matter?y r u quoting her?is it not obvious d girl no wan reply u?na by force?ur posts don tire people abeg,zoom off make we see other people,u dey boring smiley
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 8:17pm On Sep 08, 2008
lol.

@Mazaje, The egg is my opinion and could have been a possibility.

@Bawo.

Look before Leaping.

I told you what the "mormon" bible contains.

Why is it hard to understand undecided undecided

The mormon scriptures are completely different and are put after the bible.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by mazaje(m): 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2008
bawomolo:

how were u able to separate the mormon scriptures from the biblical ones? i'm really interested in knowning that. u haven't answered questions about the catholic, greek orthodox bible or even the rastafarian one grin grin grin

you might want to read this before u claim the bible has simple to understand

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_Bible.shtml#lost

the eggs would die without the mother keeping it a constant temperature, the babies can't survive without their mama either.

whats the beef?
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by bawomolo(m): 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2008
please read that link and u would understand the point am getting at.  christian doctrines have historically disagreed on the bible. it's not as simple as u make it to be. one question, what was the need for the Nicene convention??

whats the beef?

angus beef stake, wanna try
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2008
Angus Beef Steak, actually

lol
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by manmustwac(m): 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2008
@post
what a man should do and what a man shouldn't do, won't stop him from doing what he wants to do
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:24pm On Sep 08, 2008
@Gamine
Didnt know you were looking at could have's. Anyway no need to continue because you didnt even answer me questions with feasible answers.
Plus your could have's mean the bible is not simple and plain, thats what I wanted to point out to you.
Cheers.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Gamine(f): 10:54am On Sep 09, 2008
@Chris.

You havent said anything.

The Bible Says Noah built an ark and Animals went into it.

Whether the animals were Adults, Children or Eggs isnt the deal.

The deal is that a representation of the specie was there.

I cannot see how that is hard to understand.

Even as a Child in sunday school singing this song

"The Lord told Noah to build him an Arky arky (2x)
Build it out of Gopher Barky Barky. . . . ."

it was pretty clear to me.
Re: Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 09, 2008
now what av u lots turned my thread into?

which one be noah's ark and Angus beef steak?

(1) (2) (Reply)

RCCG Holy Ghost Congress 2018; Glory Ahead Dec 3-8, 2018 / Don't Let Anybody Deceive You. Tithing Is The Power To Get Wealth. / Do You Believe In Angels?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.