Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? (1612 Views)

If Your Life Ended Tomorrow, Would You Be Proud Of What You Left Behind? / See What Too Much Money Can Do To People / Things You Would Do If You Had Only Twenty-Four Hours Left To Live (2) (3) (4)

When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by my2cents(m): 3:05pm On Jul 05, 2006
This should be a pretty interesting thread grin

For naijans (and indeed other nationalities on this forum) who are now in the diaspora, how much money did you have on you when you first arrived at your destination?

Me? $20 cool

Note: This doesn't apply to those who stay abroad temporarily or as students or who go abroad with the intent to stay only for a short period of time. In other words, only those with green cards/permanent status or those who had a "second coming" (like me) need post cheesy
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by gbengaijot(m): 3:15pm On Jul 05, 2006
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by ikamefa(f): 3:19pm On Jul 05, 2006
i had 0 dollar on me,
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by my2cents(m): 3:33pm On Jul 05, 2006
gbengaijot LOL,

"Second coming" is a term used in the Atlanta, US area at least, amongst Nigerians in the diaspora to describe someone who had returned to Naija during the good times, but due to austerity measures et al, they returned to the US or wherever it may have been.

So, for example, I was born in the states, went back with my family when I was 7, but due to the closing of schools surrounding June 12, my Dad said I should return to "my country", thus making it my second time in the states, aka "Second coming" grin I thought it was a well-known term. My bad.

I hope this helps.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by iice(f): 3:44pm On Jul 05, 2006
LOL, It helps but not my case sha lol. I dont remember exactly how much i had but i had a lot of money, my mom made sure i had all the denominations 4 keep sake and 2 show others u know, i still carry a N500 in my wallet just in case pesin wan see wetin our currency b like hehehe tongue
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by gbengaijot(m): 3:50pm On Jul 05, 2006
@my2cent, i don get u oooooo. God go help us all ooooooooooo.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by edygirl(f): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2006
funny, $200.00
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by hotangel2(f): 4:16pm On Jul 05, 2006
I had 1750 Naira with me. And i still have that Money up till today.

For some weird reason, i tot someone would change the money to dollars for me at the airport.

I initially had 2000 naira with me, But i bought this plantain chips, and a small book, and batteries for my 'walkman', and a small 'jotter'. I also finaly bought a bottle of water. ALL to take on the plane. My uncle didn't even say anything. he just watched me. lol

Well i had 1750 naira left on me, and like i said. I still have that money here with me. two five hundred naira note, some fifty, 20, 10. And watnot. All in the ecolac bag i brought from naija.

Now that i think of it, ecolac was the diggity-bomb then, is it still? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by dollypee1(f): 10:42pm On Jul 05, 2006
I HAD 250 NAIRA ON ME.I GAVE IT TO A FRIEND WHO PROMISED TO BUY ALATA BISCUIT FOR MII WHEN COMIN BACK.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by Badman888(m): 11:01pm On Jul 05, 2006
i had like $40 on me, and that was it at least more came in after then
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by diddy4(m): 11:05pm On Jul 05, 2006
had 5000 naira. later sent it back to my sister.

then had 500 dollars. plus another 500 my business partner sent to me true wire transfer.

i hustle, real hard. hustle hustle real hard. everyday im hustling.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by Kadeejah(f): 11:09pm On Jul 05, 2006
diddy4:

. . .i hustle, real hard. hustle hustle real hard. everyday im hustling.
lol rick ross tongue cheesy wink cool
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by damygurl(f): 11:10pm On Jul 05, 2006
i had 2000naira and $25
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by diddy4(m): 11:14pm On Jul 05, 2006
@deejah

yeah, thats my best song now. it is for hustlers.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by Eastcoast(f): 12:18am On Jul 06, 2006
i had only 20naira with me. if you can convert it, i guess it would a few cents.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by vichel(m): 2:02am On Jul 06, 2006
I had about #500 on me at the MM airport, but ma cousins took it from me, saying that i wasn't gonna need it, and they were right.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by aloib(f): 5:47am On Jul 06, 2006
hahah na wah hot angel thats funny

i had 500 dollars wid me, i kept it in my socks i was wering some boots, lol in my wallet i had 55 dolllars , then i had 5oo naira note, 200 and then 20 . the 500 i bought some stuffs at the airport. the two hundy is wid my brother an dthe 20 naira still in my pocket, i cant even remember how other denominations look like again

iice:

LOL, It helps but not my case sha lol. I don't remember exactly how much i had but i had a lot of money, my mom made sure i had all the denominations 4 keep sake and 2 show others u know, i still carry a N500 in my wallet just in case pesin wan see wetin our currency b like hehehe tongue

lmao sis wen these peeps start asking me the currency in naija, i dont bother pronuncing it cos it would take ages b4 they can get to pronunce naira well so i just show themm teh 20 naira i ave
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by BABAnLA(m): 2:32am On Aug 05, 2006
I had $50 that my sister gave me in London on my stopover to NY.

It was at least 6 months before I saw another penny grin
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by Ndipe(m): 12:42pm On Oct 28, 2006
I had one hundred dollars but at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, one of the security guards demanded 10 dollars from me. I caved into to his demands because I did not want anybody to 'delay' my trip. So, when I arrived, I had 90 dollars on me.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by mamaput(f): 9:51am On Oct 29, 2006
I had 10 dollers and 100 DM .
on me.
The first place i stayed was with my brother.
Then my grandmother gave me 1000 DM . But dose that count? she gave it to me when i got here.
I came with one suitcase and a hand bag.
Re: When You Left Naija, How Much Money Did You Have On You? by saintkola(m): 11:45pm On Oct 29, 2006
when i left home i had nothn on me, as in no money or luggage t'was when i got 2 my sis place dat i startd shopping. now dat i'm home, i live off my folks !

A-z Of Registering A Non Governmental Organization (n.g.o) In Nigeria / 2010/2011 Jamb Registration Now At Your Door Step You Can Now Register Without Going To Jamb Office / Behind The Scenes At The US Army Ranger School