Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

4th Mainland Bridge Proposed - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed (5586 Views)

Car Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge / Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge This Afternoon (photos) / Government Truck Falls Off Near Third Mainland Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by waleleader(m): 12:19am On Jul 06, 2006
Ive heard a lot recently about proposals for a fourth mainland bridge to connect Victoria island/ Lekki/ ikorodu . if this is constructed as proposed, it will not only ease traffic in Lagos but accomodate more people on the Ikorodu outskirts. the question is how serious is the lagos state government taking this project? are we looking at 5 or 20 years?
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Badman888(m): 7:54am On Jul 06, 2006
This is something that have been said for a very long time, but funds are never provided to carry out this project, It is just always stated. I think it would be needed to ease traffic as well. But i dont think its something we should expect seeing anytime soon.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by clocky(m): 5:27pm On Jul 06, 2006
Yes i heard about the proposal.
What really surprised me was the fact that even at its embroyic stage the government did not deem it fit to have a rail carriage as part of the bridge. A mass transit system is the only solution to the endemic trafiic problems in Lagos and having a metro system even if it is part of the proposed 4th mailand bridge would have been a step in the rright direction.

This goes to show how brainless and myopic our so called leaders are in this modern age
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Shinor(m): 6:13pm On Jul 08, 2006
Hi Clocky, Thanks for making mention of a rail system. I think our leaders are scared of travelling by railway or they own all the trailers on the roads and are scared that a ressurection of our dead rail system will handicap their trailer business.
Forget the 4th lagos Mainland bridge cos it ain't happening. It was an election gimmick for the 2003 elections.
Lets talk about Abuja a city that was "supposedly planned" with the benefit of hindsight. How come there's no railway from Abuja airport to the centre of town? Infact there's no city centre in Abuja so i wonder where the train will terminate.
A beg lef matter. These guys travel all over the world and yet cannot replicate something that has the blue print available.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by clocky(m): 7:43pm On Jul 08, 2006
@shinor

Yea the 4th mainland bridge might have been an Election gimmick because nothing has been mobilised yet for the project many years after the proposal was made.

On the Abuja issue, You know i wonder myself as well. How can a city that was created from scatch like abuja not have a rail system planned with it as well . Looking at the main abuja district which is not that big, a rail line can be constructed that encircles all the districts just like the circle line in London. This rail network can be a light railway network just like the Docklands railway.

Well maybe these are just wishfull thinking but me thinks that this is the direction that our leaders should be looking at in trying to solve the transportation problems in our major cities in nigeria.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by waleleader(m): 8:06pm On Jul 08, 2006
Rail i understand was planned for Abuja according to the masterplan but i think they lost that masterplan somehow. Maybe they will replace the idea with camels from Sokoto.
on a serious note, Its not too late to build a tube network in Abuja, i like the idea of a line similar to the CIRCLE line in London. Good thinking mate.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Badman888(m): 8:13pm On Jul 08, 2006
yup its not too late to build a tube, but hey maintainance another problem, it can be used for robbery and so many different disadvantages.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by waleleader(m): 8:17pm On Jul 08, 2006
Badman888:

yup its not too late to build a tube, but hey maintainance another problem, it can be used for robbery and so many different disadvantages.

The tube was bombed exactly one year ago but its usage has further increased. People even used it to get around the next day after the bomb. My point is , all good things can and may be abused but it will still serve its primary purpose.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Badman888(m): 8:22pm On Jul 08, 2006
yea circle line and picadlly line have all been fixed and back to full service, as you said its to serve is primary purpose and i think its also something the government have been talking about, but its easier said than done,
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by clocky(m): 8:29pm On Jul 08, 2006
Badman888:

it doesnt even need to be underground. It can be a surface rail. The Light railway network is one of the most effective rail netwoks that can be constructed. It is not only cost effective, it can be constructed relativly easily and its far more easier to maintain and manage.

Since the main problem we have is the fact that government just can't maintain infrastructure, the problem of maintainance can be solved if these rail networks are built on a public-private partnership. While the government provides the necessary framework the private sector would construct and maintain. For example the various lines in london are maintained by various private companies but the whole underground network is managed and controlled by the British transport police and the London underground.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by SvS(f): 8:48pm On Jul 08, 2006
4th mainland bridge
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Shinor(m): 6:15pm On Jul 09, 2006
Guys i just read an article today 9/7/2006 that the FCT Minister is about to release some funds for an abuja rail system to take off. hmmmmm. They must have read these postings.
Also OBJ has just signed some stuff with some canadians to help sort things out, Thanks for the circle line angle
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by clocky(m): 12:27am On Jul 10, 2006
Shinor:

Guys i just read an article today 9/7/2006 that the FCT Minister is about to release some funds for an abuja rail system to take off. hmmmmm. They must have read these postings.
Also OBJ has just signed some stuff with some canadians to help sort things out, Thanks for the circle line angle

Really, Thats great.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by omoibadan2: 12:57pm On Jul 16, 2006
Just came back from lagos, the 4th mainland bridge is needed, not only the 4th mainland bridge, they should plan a ring road round lagos and abuja, like the m25 in london, that will sort out all the traffic problems in lagos.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by clocky(m): 9:57am On Jul 17, 2006
U mean the North Circular or South Circular
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Busta(f): 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2006
more like 20 -50 yrs.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by alabiyemmy(m): 1:53pm On Jan 31, 2007
This is my problem with this forum - half truths and uninformed contributions - they are indeed building a light railway system for Abuja. Please find out more before making postings that confuse or is half truths.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by waleleader(m): 11:20am On Feb 01, 2007
@alabiyemmy,

This is why its a forum, everyone contributes the bits they know. You seem to be more abreast of information about the abuja rail project, Please educate us. Thanks
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by IDDYOSHYY: 1:48pm On Feb 01, 2007
Of a truth, the LASG GOVT. is at it again. 4TH MAINLAND BRIDGE is a big project which is going to be executed soonest as this will ease the traffic on the Island and allow people to move freely without any congestion on the road.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by TheOne2(m): 2:36pm On Feb 01, 2007
The 4th mainland bridge idea was actually conceived and evaluated but was killed with POLITICS.

The whole idea was for Addo road (linking Lekki-Epe expressway) to be expanded and dualized up till it's termination point at Badore and for the bridge to take off at Badore and land somewhere in Ikorodu. Ogunlewe (then Fed Minister of works - also from Ikorodu) insisted that there was no suitable landing point in Ikorodu and got the people that matter in Ikorodu to support that. This was in the days when the struggle was still mainly between Tinubu and Ogunlewe and because of this, is whole idea was dumped (or is it kept in the cooler for now?).

The moment we start divorcing politics from basic developmental issues is when we'll start making real progress.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by LoverBwoy(m): 2:54pm On Feb 01, 2007
in a way its a good thing they killed it themselves (politicians)

the bridge is more likely to serve V.I, VGC and ajah rsidents , i heard the apongbon road is now a death zone with huge pot holes and thugs waiting for the residents to break down

Lagos state is not just Victoria Island and ikoyi wink
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by 1forall: 2:52pm On Feb 02, 2007
Shinor:

Also OBJ has just signed some stuff with some canadians to help sort things out
and now 7 months after?

If we remember how long it took for the 3rd mainland to materialize (and how much it gulped) then we can imagine what it'll take to build a fourth. Abeg lets face reality and put that on our list of looooong term expectations.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by culasi(m): 1:13am On Feb 03, 2007
Another way for uncle sege to eat our money. angry. Its a good investment but things don't always go as planned in Nigeria.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by horlardigg(m): 4:39pm On Feb 03, 2007
I wonder how long this is going to take before it get materialized, my brother.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by Radiant(f): 7:11pm On Feb 03, 2007
Don't even know the 1st let alone a 4th one to be constructed. smiley
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by alabiyemmy(m): 12:18am On Feb 04, 2007
Lagos State is building the bridge - what has Uncle Sege got to do with it? The first was built - the second was bulit - then the third was built, so whats wrong building a fourth? and why think it wont work? or will not see the light of the day? How many bridges crosses River Thames in London? Even the millenium bridge built across the Thames had issues, so issues are not peculiar to Nigeria - please give us more bridges linking the Island and the Mainland,
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by chizzy687(f): 9:25pm On Feb 04, 2007
Story- Like we kno no where we come from. In 1yrs time that Bridge go still dey underconstructio.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by alabiyemmy(m): 9:27pm On Feb 04, 2007
how can u build that bridge in under a year in the first instance?
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by aypompin(m): 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2007
4th Mainland bridge is suppose to be a partnership between the Lagos State Government and a foreign country, in the sense that toll gates will be on the bridge so that they'll realize their money and maintain the bridge. I guess so.
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by agnesoseka: 11:01am On Feb 15, 2007
that will be really cool, if them mean am sha!!
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by moondust(m): 1:37pm On Apr 04, 2007
maybe in the year 3000
Re: 4th Mainland Bridge Proposed by DisGuy: 4:46pm On Jun 25, 2008
bump!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Life In Ukraine / Share Your US(F1-Student) Visa Interview Experience. / Nigerians In Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.