Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,936 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! (19191 Views)

One Quarter Of Cars In Nigeria Are In Lagos- FRSC / 8 Category Of Cars Old Men Drive In Nigeria / Right Hand Drive (RHD) To Left Hand Drive (LHD) Conversion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 12, 2008
Just been on the phone to a friend of mine for advice -

She owns a Mercedes C230 Kompressor (2004 Coupe model).

I helped her source this car in 2006, and carried out a detailed check.

She shipped this car to Nigeria July 2008, and on the advice of a friend, took it to a garage in Lagos for RHD to LHD conversion.
All seemed ok - she collected the car 2 days later, and went straight home.
Her problems began the following day - she went out, and upon returning to the car, it wouldn't start.
She also noticed a funny smell, and the dash lights would not go out, even with the car locked.

She ended up calling a friend, and the car was recovered to a Mercedes-Benz dealership.
They plugged into the OBD-II diagnostic port, but for some reason, it would not communicate with the ECU and other electronic modules.

She was phoned, and said they'D have to check the car manually for the non-starting issues, as well as the dash illumination, which still remained on.
Now, this is where it got really interesting.
She was phoned later that afternoon, and told to come in.

She went to Mercedes, thinking her car was ready, but sadly, that wasn't the case.
The entire wiring harness behind the dash - which is the main central distribution source, that also carries the fusebox and relay plate, was completely melted, burnt out.
It was also riddled with electrical tape, and crude joints, which had been carried out during the "conversion" from RHD to LHD.

It was going to need a completely brand new LHD wiring harness - I priced it up here, as the car was a UK-spec car, and I still had the VIN.
Cost retail is £2,175 + VAT, and that's assuming other issues with the electrical side are fine.

The complete aircon system was also destroyed - the garage that converted the car, butchered the original RHD unit, the complete assembly that spans the width of the bulkhead (plastic) to adapt it to LHD, it was cut up, and plastic welded roughly, to allow the LHD steering column location to clear it.

The steering column brackets were so badly welded in place, it would have come adrift in no time, had the electrical issues not disabled the car.
So, the car needs a complete LHD aircon / heater assembly, as well as the aluminium pipes, which had been bent to adapt it to LHD - these bends would have eventually fractured, leaking all the refrigerant gas (R134-A) into the car.

The only genuine LHD parts the garage that carried out the conversion used, were the PAS rack, the main dash / fascia, and the instrument cluster.
The rest was all bent / hammered into place. Even the pedal box assembly is still the original RHD unit, the throttle actually catches on the transmission tunnel.

So, with all the parts / labour required to make her car safe, and driveable once more, she's looking at a total of £6,375.
The funny smell she'd noticed when her problems began, was the wiring behind the dash burning.
Luckily for her, most of the wires burnt through, without setting the car alight.

I really feel sorry for her, she was almost crying on the phone - the garage that carried out the work refuse to take responsibility, they say she should have brought the car back to them, before letting Mercedes-Benz strip the car down.

I guess this is a lesson hard learnt - over here in the UK, such a job requires an engineer's report, no way would I carry out such a conversion without one. I also build up a portfolio of clear photographs as I progress, that way at least, the integrity of the work is clear, even to the untrained eye.

I was also shocked the garage in Lagos carried out the conversion within 2 days - my conversions take me over a week, as I have to keep on stopping to take pictures.
No way will I rush such a job in 2 days, it's just too quick a turnaround for the work involved.

If you decide to use a garage in Nigeria for such a conversion, try to be there as often as you can, and INSIST on photographic evidence of the work, as once the dash / facia's in place, you'll never know what horrors are lurking beneath.

When your personal safety is at stake, you can't compromise, so the cheap option isn't always the best one. If you can't afford to get a proper job carried out, then simply buy a LHD car to begin with.

I'll keep you guys updated, may post pictures if she sends any.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by sojioguns(m): 10:01am On Sep 12, 2008
Ouuch!!!! I feel for her. But she should have known better than to carry such an expensive car to quacks. Eyah. Hope MB doesnt even mess it up more.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Firefire(m): 11:18am On Sep 12, 2008
This is a very serious issue.
I feel for the person. What an expense that can as well be utilized for another purpose.
However, is it still safe buying RHD and convert to LHD comparing the cost of convertion even if one gets a semi-expert?
Does it even really worth it buying cars in UK for conversion?
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 12, 2008
Firefire:

This is a very serious issue.
I feel for the person. What an expense that can as well be utilized for another purpose.
However, is it still safe buying RHD and convert to LHD comparing the cost of convertion even if one gets a semi-expert?
Does it even really worth it buying cars in UK for conversion?

Yes, as long as the conversion is carried out professionally, it's perfectly fine.
And cost effective too, as long as the quotation received for parts and labour are realistic.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by madeworite(f): 12:46pm On Sep 12, 2008
@ sienna

Sienna can you please shoot me a mail on fola.aka@gmail.com . I have an urgent enquiries to make about the cost of converting cars , i have got some cars i want to send to nigeria.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2008
madeworite:

@ sienna

Sienna can you please shoot me a mail on fola.aka@gmail.com . I have an urgent enquiries to make about the cost of converting cars , i have got some cars i want to send to nigeria.

You have email.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by cybersleek(m): 1:11pm On Sep 12, 2008
You know siena, to add to what you have just written. I had the same problem a while back, i'd got a very sweet rover 415 here from the UK to naija, after shopping around for a while and doing some research, i settled for a guy in oyingbo for the obvious reason that it was close to where he could get parts from, as the car shared many of its parts with the civic of the same era. Alas! my once beautiful car was reduced to scrap in no time. Imagine spending a lot of money to have you car wrecked. Anyway, i took it as experience and vowed never to have anything to do with naija conversion again!

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 12, 2008
@ Cybersleek: That's too bad, too much cut-and-shut merchents these days, masquerading as engineers.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by promise72(m): 4:19pm On Sep 12, 2008
A word of advise.

To all you guys in the UK. The exchange rate is in your favor now. Buy U.S Cars!. Contact resident car dealers and get cars from the U.S.

It will save you a lot of headache! Period
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by showbobo(m): 7:56pm On Sep 12, 2008
promise72:

A word of advise.

To all you guys in the UK. The exchange rate is in your favor now. Buy US Cars!. Contact resident car dealers and get cars from the US.

It will save you a lot of headache! Period
WORD jare my brother

If not for the fact that some of us are misers,i wonder what must have instigated them to buying RHD and converting it to LHD if not for stinginess.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by femzy(m): 10:39pm On Sep 12, 2008
shocked shocked :oover 6000 pounds shocked shocked shocked shocked, I have never heard of such outrageous amount for a car repair.I feel sorry for the poor woman, na jet
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by earthrealm(m): 2:51am On Sep 13, 2008
yeah such conversions r not worth it.some might seem 2 work during normal driving conditions, but at top speeds/rough terrain they come apart!!!,

just like this so called installing a/cs in cars that didnt come with a/cs , such gimicks rarely work, or they even damage the engine in the long run!!
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by femzy(m): 4:07am On Sep 13, 2008
yeah the ac thang is another issue worthy of note.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by moneytalk(m): 10:13pm On Sep 13, 2008
@Siena

Can you assist in the conversion b4 sending cars to 9ja or is it allowed in the uk to be converted after buying the car and ship it to 9ja to affort all these quake confersionist mechanics in 9ja pls assist if possible mail me @ mailgrupp@yahoo.com
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 13, 2008
moneytalk:

@Siena

Can you assist in the conversion before sending cars to Nigeria or is it allowed in the uk to be converted after buying the car and ship it to Nigeria to affort all these quake confersionist mechanics in Nigeria please assist if possible mail me @ mailgrupp@yahoo.com

You have email.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by showbobo(m): 1:54pm On Sep 14, 2008
This so called conversion doesnt worth it on the longrun after looking at the total expenses incurred.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by insight04: 1:05pm On May 02, 2010
@ Siena,

Do you know how much it costs to convert to LHD in UK? Also, do you have any reputable LHD car converters in Lagos you can recommend? . My addy is insight2004@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by insight04: 9:26pm On Jul 09, 2010
bumped
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by obojo(m): 9:53pm On Jul 09, 2010
Huge bump, the best thing is to convert japanese products only, dont think of converting a German product, its simply not worth it
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by olawaleoje(m): 12:21am On Sep 11, 2011
I have been having so much thinking on this and i saw a nigeria converted car few days ago driving left and its just too bad, dashboard was packed with rug,i image what i will get if am converting any car as i have one in my posession, am so worried if i should buy and convert this car, I have it in my possesion but its not originally mine.I wait concrete advice, the car is honda adida.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 11, 2011
The lady should have driven the car straight to Mercedes when it touched the shores of Nigeria, she was probably trying to save some pennies. A close relation of mine got a Renault from UK to Nigeria. Ladipo mechanics offered to convert it to LHD for 150k and it takes about 3days. He went to CFAO,  the sole distributor of Renault in Nigeria. They charged 300k and it took them a month to convert the car cos they had to order some components from France and the job was very technical. He paid the price but at least he can drive the car around with peace of mind. The car has been used for over two month now and no complaint yet.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 11, 2011
olawaleoje:

I have been having so much thinking on this and i saw a nigeria converted car few days ago driving left and its just too bad, dashboard was packed with rug,i image what i will get if am converting any car as i have one in my posession, am so worried if i should buy and convert this car, I have it in my possesion but its not originally mine.I wait concrete advice, the car is honda adida.

If you eventually decide to convert the car, I would suggest you drive it or tow it down to Honda place. You might be charged a lot for the conversion but it is gonna be worth it.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by pato405(m): 5:38pm On Oct 12, 2011
@saxywale: do they entertain conversions at the honda place?
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 11, 2011
pato405:
y
@saxywale: do they entertain conversions at the hon da place?
I am not sure but there is no harm in asking. It's all business as those car companies in naija are all franchise anyway.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by pato405(m): 11:02am On Dec 11, 2011
@obojo: you just escalated my confusion. while some people believe that German and other European cars are easiest to convert, your opinion holds the contrary (Japanese products). My question: which is actually easier/easiest to convert if one must take this risk?
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 11, 2011
pato405:

@obojo: you just escalated my confusion. while some people believe that German and other European cars are easiest to convert, your opinion holds the contrary (Japanese products). My question: which is actually easier/easiest to convert if one must take this risk?

German cars are LHD's so they don't need to be converted. Just as saxywale stated, car conversion needs to be handled by highly skilled technicians. Be it Japanese or european, they would carry the same risk as they are all high tech Electrical - mechanical systems. So your best bet would be to get cars converted at the manufactures appointed dealer in the country where the car would be used.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Phil247: 5:15pm On Dec 11, 2011
I really feel for the lady. I've converted close to 12 cars and none have had any major issues.
Although i'm not a technician myself.
My advice is that you make sure you see previous or existing conversion jobs from the technician before parting with your car and funds.
Some of job are only good with particular brands and may not be familiar with all. Confirming wont cost you a thing.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by pato405(m): 5:19pm On Dec 11, 2011
Phil247: guy abeg send me this your auto consultant who has been able to impeccably convert 12 cars for you. I get contract for the guy grin grin grin

email: info4patty@yahoo.com
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Phil247: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2011
@pato405 check your mail box.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2011
German cars (late models from circa 2001) are easier to convert. Japanese cars are not easy or cheap to convert, unless a hash job is done. For example, a 2003 Camry / Accord needs a complete bulkhead change to achieve a factory LHD conversion.
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by pato405(m): 6:16pm On Dec 11, 2011
@sienna: pls what does a bulkhead mean. sounds scarry 'cos i currently intend to convert a 2003 toyota avensis. all nigerian technicians i'v consulted suggest that they may have to cut the dashbord and use it because sorting for the dashbord is a herculean task. do you think it's a rational idea?
Re: Beware Of Cars Converted In Nigeria From RHD To LHD! by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 11, 2011
pato405:

@sienna: pls what does a bulkhead mean. sounds scarry 'cos i currently intend to convert a 2003 toyota avensis. all nigerian technicians i'v consulted suggest that they may have to cut the dashbord and use it because sorting for the dashbord is a herculean task. do you think it's a rational idea?

The bulkhead literally means the partition between the passenger compartment, and the engine bay. The bulkhead forms the base that the dash, steering rack and other associated affix to.

It is also an integral part of the car's structure, and under no circumstances should it be compromised by cutting it up. So no, it's not a rational idea.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BRT Bus Involved In Road Accident / A Nairalander's Bike Trip To The Annual Bikers' Convention @ Jos , Plateau State / How Long Did It Take You To Learn How To Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.