Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? (3273 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Since When Did Boko Haram 'attacks' Become Equivalent To A 'take Over' ? / When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Richguys: 5:29pm On Sep 12, 2008
Just wondering if anybody knows the genesis of corruption in our dear country Nigeria
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by icemann(m): 5:35pm On Sep 12, 2008
obasajo's first rule as head of state
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 5:40pm On Sep 12, 2008
icemann:

obasajo's first rule as head of state

i guess the tafawa balewa administration ceased to exist. this obj smear campaign is getting ridiculous. nigeria experienced corruption immediately after independence especially when it came to government jobs and contracts. corruption was usually based on ethnic or party alliances.

1 Like

Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Richguys: 5:44pm On Sep 12, 2008
bawomolo:

i guess the tafawa balewa administration ceased to exist. this obj smear campaign is getting ridiculous. nigeria experienced corruption immediately after independence especially when it came to government jobs and contracts. corruption was usually based on ethnic or party alliances.

Does that mean no corruption b/4 independence
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 5:52pm On Sep 12, 2008
Richguys:

Does that mean no corruption b/4 independence

definitely not, or do u want us to back to the dubious dealings of groups like the royal niger company? i believe the poster meant nigeria after colonial rule
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by ssRhino: 6:00pm On Sep 12, 2008
i am so sure that when we were trying to get independence from Brittain, we much have paid some bribes and we know what follows, corruption.
When Abiola got money from ITT, isnt that part of Corruption?
When Obasanjo started Operation Feed The Nation and later turns to Obasanjo Farm, isnt that corruption?

Infact Nija, i hail thee

1 Like

Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by QuotaSyste(m): 6:13pm On Sep 12, 2008
The hausas started corruption in nigeria. Go and read nigeria's history particularly about census inflation and "why we struck by the five majors" The first coup came about because of rampant corruption by the hausa administration of those days.

1 Like

Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by vigasimple(m): 6:17pm On Sep 12, 2008
History of corruption should be less of interest than SOLUTIONS TO GET RID OF CORRUPTION.

We may have to think out of the box on the SOLUTIONS. The history is like fogging a dead horse.

2 Likes

Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by icemann(m): 6:18pm On Sep 12, 2008
$$Rhino:

i am so sure that when we were trying to get independence from Brittain, we much have paid some bribes and we know what follows, corruption.
When Abiola got money from ITT, isnt that part of Corruption?
When Obasanjo started Operation Feed The Nation and later turns to Obasanjo Farm, isnt that corruption?

Infact Nigeria, i hail thee
@Bawomolo
U can see its not only me. i am not smering OBJ image
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by onyinye2(f): 7:02pm On Sep 12, 2008
the day Nigeria proclaimed its independence.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 7:15pm On Sep 12, 2008
icemann:

@Bawomolo
You can see its not only me. i am not smering OBJ image

the 1966 coup arose due to high rate of corruption and political instability in nigeria. tafawa balewa was PM while obj was still a junior officer in the army.

QuotaSyste:

The hausas started corruption in nigeria. Go and read nigeria's history particularly about census inflation and "why we struck by the five majors" The first coup came about because of rampant corruption by the hausa administration of those days.

there were actually openly corrupt southern ministers too but hey u have an agenda on nairaland
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by diggler(m): 7:25pm On Sep 12, 2008
Everything depends on your definition of corruption.

however, we should not make this an ethnic issue cos my grandPop of blessed memeory once told me that even befor independence corruption was around. even within colonial circles.
however the question was when did it become institutionalized.
that i'll say lies sometime between mid-fifties & shagari's sleaze adminstration of late 70's early 80's.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by QuotaSyste(m): 7:35pm On Sep 12, 2008
vigasimple:

History of corruption should be less of interest than SOLUTIONS TO GET RID OF CORRUPTION.

We may have to think out of the box on the SOLUTIONS. The history is like fogging a dead horse.
Get it into your head that you will never know where you are going if you don't know where you are coming from. People that think like you are the ones holding nigeria down and backwards.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by diggler(m): 7:38pm On Sep 12, 2008
@ Quotasyste

Always enjoy ur views my broda.
take it easy on d dude aight, no be fight.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by QuotaSyste(m): 7:41pm On Sep 12, 2008
bawomolo:

the 1966 coup arose due to high rate of corruption and political instability in nigeria. tafawa balewa was PM while obj was still a junior officer in the army.

there were actually openly corrupt southern ministers too but hey u have an agenda on nairaland
Who ever is in charge is where the bulk of the blame or praise stops. There is no excuse by hiding under "there were southern ministers as well" That is bull crap that i don't buy. That is why i laugh when i see some idiots come here to write that every other group is involved in corruption in nigeria. Fact is if those in charge are willing to stop the corruption, nothing and i mean nobody will stop them from doing so. But hey, who are we talking about? Those that wears corruption like their everyday dress, so how can they go out naked without their normal dress.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 7:46pm On Sep 12, 2008
i hope u do realize it was an hausa-igbo coalition of parties that was in charge right undecided , the regions were autonomous then, so to blame hausas seems myopic, something not strange to you.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by QuotaSyste(m): 10:27pm On Sep 12, 2008
bawomolo:

i hope u do realize it was an hausa-igbo coalition of parties that was in charge right undecided , the regions were autonomous then, so to blame hausas seems myopic, something not strange to you.
Get this into your head. Who ever is in charge is where the bulk of the blame or praise stops. Today, PDP is in coalition govt. but the bulk of blame and praise stops at Yar'adua-PDP's doorstep. When it was OBJ, every body were yelling yorubas this, yorubas that. Definitely, they where in charge and no amount of spin will ever reverse that.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by sayatyadebayor(m): 7:41pm On Dec 20, 2012
is tooo long time story but what i know is start from government workers becouse they revome from there salary and call it peson and some our goverment are not allow it again when the workers reteryard so satart form them to all political leaders and from to police so from we dem de say nothing go for nothing till today
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 9:24pm On Dec 20, 2012
When the British seized the land. People tend to forget that it was NOT legal for the UK to take over the area now known as Nigeria and it was NOT an era without corruption. Nigeria was birthed out of the biggest crime in Africa's recent history. The most corrupt people in Nigeria were/are the British and other Europeans.

It was the British that also tampered with Nigerias politics, of course they would, it was them who created it.
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by OgbuefiNegro: 10:27pm On Dec 20, 2012
when yanmiri, who were never knowledgable about kingdom or empire, stepped out as rookies to rule Nigeria and thought a Federation is the same as a clan. they wanted obi to rule north, emeka to rule east and ifeanyi to rule west. lmao! grin
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by MajeOfficial: 11:23pm On Dec 20, 2012
Chinua Achebe's No Longer At Ease points how corruption being there since colonial times. Administrators for britian were at time corrupt but not as often as their african middle men whom later became the heads of government.

I think it became a severe problem under the military tho
Re: When Did Corruption Start In Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 1:25am On Dec 21, 2012
onyinye2: the day Nigeria proclaimed its independence.

You're 10000% WRONG. Corruption in Nigeria began the day the British started to rule Nigeria. In fact the very creation of 'Nigeria' was an act of greed and corruption.

The British colonial govt exploited and exported Tin, Groundnuts, Iron Ore, Rubber, Coal, Palm Oil, Copper, and agricultural products from Nigeria for over 87 years in power, products which commanded a premium price on the international market in their time - and to show for all these riches, at independence Nigeria had ONE university serving its (then) 60 million people (compared to 120 unis today), a shocking 7% literacy rate (compared to 74% today), with malnutrition and poverty ravaging the nation. Infant mortality rate stood at 259 per 1000 (that figure down to 88 per 1000 today), and power generation stood at 270 megawatts (compared to 4,500mw today) etc etc. No expressways, very few roads, and cars were only for the very rich (a tiny few). The overwhelming majority of the profits from the export of Nigerian resources were siphoned to London, and it was these stolen riches from their colonies that made Britain and other European nations wealthy.

Fact is - corruption actually REDUCED DRASTICALLY after Nigeria gained independence, with more of the nation's resources being spent on its people.
That's one reason why YOU are schooled, well fed, well dressed, and can type and read and browse online, whereas your grandparents were, like 99% of ours, stark illiterates and village peasants courtesy of British grand corruption and misrule.

Lesson: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

(1) (Reply)

Michika LGA Falls To Boko Haram / Ex-militant Commanders Warn Against Move To Impeach Jonathan / APC Presidential Debate On December 6th At 4pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.