Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,835 members, 7,802,673 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria (5305 Views)

Elders Reject Proposed Nuclear Power Plant In Akwa Ibom / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / Fg Picks Geregu, Itu As 2,400mw Nuclear Power Sites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by mm(m): 1:38pm On Jul 06, 2006
Power cuts in Nigeria, nuclear power plant is the solution. It cost 1.2billion dollars to for to be built by France and some advance country. Why build almost 40billions dollars reserve will the economy is gradually been crumbled by power cuts. Nuclear power is clean and effective.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Mariory(m): 2:27pm On Jul 06, 2006
There are power plants being built already. Nigeria is currently in the long wait for thier completion.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Chxta(m): 2:17pm On Jul 07, 2006
What a waste. We have abundant sunshine. Anyone here ever hear of solar power farms? We have wind in abundance at Mambilla. . .
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by mm(m): 10:56am On Oct 16, 2006
the financial implication of we having several medium gas power plants will be unbearable in the future, this might be the replication of the petroleum refineries case, that the government find it difficult to manage.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Horus(m): 8:46pm On Apr 05, 2007
[img]http://www.blackamericaweb.com/resource.aspx?id=23195[/img]

Nigeria's President Vows Nuclear Plant Within 12 Years

By: Bashir Adigun, Associated Press

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) - Nigeria's president has pledged his oil-rich but infrastructure-poor West African nation will build a nuclear power plant within 12 years.

Despite being Africa's leading oil producer and the fifth biggest supplier of crude to the United States, most of Nigeria's 130 million people remain deeply impoverished. Blackouts are common in major cities and few rural areas have steady access to electricity.

"Today ,  marks day one in the timeline of our national nuclear electricity program," President Olusegun Obasanjo said Monday in the capital Abuja at the inauguration of the Board of the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission, a state nuclear advisory body.

Cape Town in South Africa : Nuclear power station 

Obasanjo said any nuclear capacity Nigeria develops would be used for peaceful purposes. He asked the Justice Ministry to draft legislation governing the use of nuclear technologies.

"We are unequivocally committed to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty," Obasanjo said.

But analysts said existing systems may have to be upgraded before Nigeria could benefit from a nuclear plant.

"There's not a lot of point generating power you can't distribute," said Simon James, a spokesman for the London-based Nuclear Industry Association.

According to the U.S.-government funded Energy Information Administration, Nigeria's power plants are operating well below capacity due to a combination of poor maintenance and low water levels at hydropower stations.

Even in the exclusive enclave of Victoria Island in wealthy Lagos city, slashed power lines dangle from rooftops and telephone poles have collapsed in the main street.

Nigeria's energy consumption has more than doubled since 1980, but only an estimated 40 percent of the population has access to electricity.

Source: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/diaspora/obasanjo802
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by debosky(m): 8:58pm On Apr 05, 2007
nuclear? yes in like 15-20 years, but not right now.

the main issue is dealing with unrest in the ND, so the abundant gas currently being flared can be put to good use, that is the best option for power generation right now. Solar is too expensive and cannot generate the kind of power we need, except for small niche applications.

the Mambilla hydro project is going to commence soon, that should give a big boost when its completed in 6-8 years.

alternatives are using coal fired plants (although very environmentally harmful) in the central/eastern states.

but, for rapid roll out of power stations to solve the current problem? Combined Cycle NG power plants are the way to go

the 1.2billion nuclear plant will probably generate 1,000MW at most, that will build you at least 2,000MW thermal plants, with no need to import uranium and without the risks associated with nuclear power.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 9:22pm On Apr 05, 2007
Hmmmmmm

Nigeria is truly The Giant of Africa

From the Ant of Africa We need to put The G and I

We all need to GET INVOLVED

1 Like

Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Bankole01(m): 9:40pm On Apr 06, 2007
It is so romantic to think Nigeria will have nuclear plants. But lets get real Nigeria cannot manage a nuclear power plant. This is not denigrating Nigeria nor saying we don't have the expertise, but our people are just not responsible enough, and with the government underfunding the department, nuclear holocaust could happen.

We have to better manage what we have and improve on service. Solar and wind energy is a better alternative to spend our money on.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by LePhilippe(m): 1:59am On Apr 07, 2007
No thank you, we don;t have a maintance culture. We dont want another chernobl
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by wetinde(m): 7:32am On Apr 07, 2007
Lephillipe and Bankole01,
     I read your comments and think it is very unfair for you to sit wherever you are and gengeneralize Nigerians as having no culture for maintenance. The truth is if we did not have that culture Nigeria will be worse than Somalia or Zimbabwe now. Our people will do something if they know how to do it themselves. Our main problem is lack of free access to information to aid maintenance which is currently available and being exploited by the rich. The countries in the west took years to get where they are so do not think that when a pledge is placed it is going to happen that same week. Our people do not have patience yes but do not belittle our people with your talk because you have had a test of development in the western world. The people who left the western world with ideas and went to Nigeria to implement them do you now want to call them stupid. These same people would have to empemploy Nigerians to work for them or would they not ?
Abeg abeg abeg abeg abeg angry do not talk bad about our people. Is it not the same people that when they go abroad know how to maintain things. I am tired of hearing such negative words on forums.
   A nuclear plant will be the start of great things . There will be steady supply to manufacturing companies i.e the steel companies . This will then facilitate the reduction in price of a lot of commodities since the overheads from using generators will be cut down. It might be a long way off but it will happen. I meet a lot of Africans all the time that respect our economy (though they might hate our courage and drive) and the fact that we always find a way to make Nigeria stay on top in Africa .
If you believe that the culture does not exist why not start by educating your own immediate people about better maintenance.

Abeg make I hear word
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by nigeria1: 8:29am On Apr 07, 2007
wind powered station are not good, and not the best for nigeria, waste of money,
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Afam(m): 8:54am On Apr 07, 2007
nigeria1:

wind powered station are not good, and not the best for nigeria, waste of money,

What do you mean by the statement that wind powered stations are not good? Don't they work or what?
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Bankole01(m): 4:01pm On Apr 07, 2007
wetinde:

Lephillipe and Bankole01,
    I read your comments and think it is very unfair for you to sit wherever you are and gengeneralize Nigerians as having no culture for maintenance. The truth is if we did not have that culture Nigeria will be worse than Somalia or Zimbabwe now. Our people will do something if they know how to do it themselves. Our main problem is lack of free access to information to aid maintenance which is currently available and being exploited by the rich. The countries in the west took years to get where they are so do not think that when a pledge is placed it is going to happen that same week. Our people do not have patience yes but do not belittle our people with your talk because you have had a test of development in the western world. The people who left the western world with ideas and went to Nigeria to implement them do you now want to call them stupid. These same people would have to empemploy Nigerians to work for them or would they not ?
Abeg abeg abeg abeg abeg angry do not talk bad about our people. Is it not the same people that when they go abroad know how to maintain things. I am tired of hearing such negative words on forums.
  A nuclear plant will be the start of great things . There will be steady supply to manufacturing companies i.e the steel companies . This will then facilitate the reduction in price of a lot of commodities since the overheads from using generators will be cut down. It might be a long way off but it will happen. I meet a lot of Africans all the time that respect our economy (though they might hate our courage and drive) and the fact that we always find a way to make Nigeria stay on top in Africa .
If you believe that the culture does not exist why not start by educating your own immediate people about better maintenance.

Abeg make I hear word

Like you, I am a proud Nigerian who has incidentally sojourned too long in America. That not withstanding, one has to tell the truth when it bears telling. The ugly truth that our people do not have a maintanance culture is evident in the peoples' homes themselves. They will allow their own houses to fall apart. How about infractructure, they are allowed to crumble on a daily basis, even when the government provides allowances for the maintenance.

I have been to many Nigerian homes here and I have to tell you that I am sometimes ashamed to be a visitor in these filthy homes. This, among those who won visa lottery to the country.

Back to the subject, nuclear power plant is no toy for a developing country, the chances for accident to occur are very prevalent even in advanced countries and would be too stronomical for Nigeria or any developing country. The technology is there for the highest bidder but we have to be very careful. Also, I know a lot of Nigerians who work for from NASA to local utilities out here, who can easily transmute to Nigeria with their knowledge. But without an enabling society and good maintenance record and tools, nuclear holocaust is a very likely scenerio. Look what monumental failure we have made of our simple gas turbines and hydro dams.

Romantisizing big projects, only sound good on paper and for chest beating. The way of the future is renewable energy of which we have been abundantly blessed.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 4:12pm On Apr 07, 2007
@Wetinde

You must know that Nigerians Like to Criticize. The leadership should Shut his ears on Negative Criticism.

I remember in sometimes past we were told that gas flaring was better because it was too expensive. Now what do we see.

you need to know that not all us can be believers in Nigeria that is why the state Government must do all to show that they are responsible for the people they have been given right to govern.

You will see people GENERALIZING.

I sat in a Taxi yesterday and The Ghanaian taxi Driver was so happy that the NIGERIAN banks CAME to GHANA. I knew why he said so but he really wanted explained further that STANDARD CHARTERED or BARCLAYS used to demand a minimum account balance of 100 pounds but in their own country UK you can have an account for almost free 1pound.

The Taxi Driver now told me that now Stan chart and Barclays bank minimum is now 3pounds! This is because of the entry of Nigerian Banks.

The NIGERIAN BANKS ARE MAKING IT IN GHANA I tell you. THE DRIVER ALSO TOLD ME THAT HE BROUGHT A BUSINESS PROPOSAL AND THE NIGERIAN BANK ARE WILLING TO HELP HIM WITHOUT ANY COLLATERAL!. THE MAN WAS SO HAPPY AND HE IS HAPPY THAT NIGERIA HAS SAVED THEM.

BEFORE I NOTICED THAT THE BANK HERE WILL ALWAYS DEMAND COLLATERAL BUT NOW IT IS CHANGING BECAUSE OF THE NIGERIAN BANKS.

NIGERIA NEEDS TO SUCCEED WE MUST SUCCEED THERE IS SO MUCH THAT WE CAN GAIN.

I USE TO SAY THIS TO PEOPLE I MEET IN GHANA. IN MY LIFE I HAVE NEVER MEET 1MILLION NIGERIANS I CANT CONDEMN ALL NIGERIANS BECAUSE WE ARE ABOUT 200 MILLION I DONT EVEN KNOW 1000 PEOPLE HOW CAN I JUDGE 200 MILLION PEOPLE.

WE ARE NOT ALL THAT BAD AS PEOPLE SAY WE ARE, WE KNOW WHAT IS GOOD WE HAVE TO BE PATIENT. THE PROBLEM IS LEADERSHIP WE MUST HAVE GOOD LEADERSHIP AT THE STATE LEVEL.

We can dominate Africa if we do well at home. We don't need to be looking for work outside Africa there is a lot of work in Africa. A lot of African countries are being cheated.

We have criticized enough we must do the acting and the problem solving. Let ours be problem solving statements we can never and should never be tired of talking about the solution to our problems.

SOUTH AFRICA HAS NUCLEAR POWER PLANT YOU WILL BE VERY SURPRISED AT THE QUALITY OF CIVILIZATION THEY HAVE IN THEIR CITIZENRY BUT THEY HAVE A GOOD LEADERSHIP.

I WILL GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE SOUTH AFRICANS RIPPED OFF THERE WATER CLOSETS THAT WERE PUT IN THERE HOMES , IF THAT HAPPENED IN NAIJA YOU WILL SEE WHAT WE ALL WILL SAY.

THERE IS BAD IN NAIJA BUT I TELL YOU THE PUBLICITY THAT IT IS RECEIVING IS OVEREMPHASIZED. IF YOU WANT TO BE POPULAR IN NAIJA JUST SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT NAIJA THEN YOU WILL BE ON THE LIME LIGHT. WE THE CITIZEN HAVE TO SHAWN THIS.

IF WE DONT TRUST OURSELVES NO ONE WILL EVER TRUST US.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by debosky(m): 10:26pm On Apr 07, 2007
I repeat, we do not need a nuclear power plant, it is too expensive and non economical for us, we have abundant fossil fuel resources (gas) currently being flared which will produce sufficient power for us if harnessed. it is an established technology that we can handle ourselves. Nuclear is not needed now.

maybe in 20-30 years, but not now.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by omogenaija(f): 10:27pm On Apr 07, 2007
i agree with debosky
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 2:49pm On Apr 08, 2007
@Debosky

We have to build a Good Energy base So that companies can come to Naija.

If energy in Nigeria is 50 cent and in America it is $4 it will make economic sense for me to relocate to Nigeria where I have the market and very poor wage Regime.

you don't need to travel to look for investors they will come you will only Advertise Cheaper Energy and they the Investors will begin to calculate.

Nigerians must Produce at least 100, 000 Mgw to 150,000 MGW of Energy.

That is why i say let the government first privatize and then bring in more players In the Energy terrain we will meet this in four years.

We Should have 4 nuclear power Plants.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:13pm On Apr 08, 2007
100,000 MW? to do what? even SA with all its development generates only ~40,000MW.

Bandying figures like that about is not the issue here, we need far more power than we are currently generating, by the time the market gets opened up, energy suppliers will build power plants in concert with rising demands. Energy is not always the determinant in siting a business venture, other factors - security, infrastructure, skilled labour and others are also important.

Nuclear power is not cheap, it costs 3-4 times more than a conventional gas fired power plant to build, as well as dependence on other countries for the uranium enrichment to supply fuel, this is not beneficial to Nigeria.

Whatever quantum of energy is required, I am more than convinced that thermal stations using gas, coal and biomass, coupled with large hydroelectricity plants (we have exploited only a fraction of our potential) is where we need to go in energy supply.

Nuclear power is a pipe dream for now, we do not need it now, till another 20-30 years.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by jockey112(m): 12:05am On Apr 09, 2007
@ backslider

i agree with you ,Nigeria has great potentials  in every ways.yes its expensive and its not going to be an easy task but we can do it ,if Iran,South africa can do it why not Nigeria, don't tell me we are behind this countries because in the life of a nation just like in the life of a person to make it all yu need to do is find out what  they did and apply it to yur life ,what i meant is yu don't have to spend years to get where america and europe are all we need is mentoring and that cud save us  a whole lot of time .
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by debosky(m): 12:10am On Apr 09, 2007
I admire your desire for us to be 'advanced', but don't let us get carried away by nationalistic sentiment. What we need is power - the best way for us to get it is to use the resources we have which is gas, coal, biomass and so on, not nuclear.

Iran has been building its nuclear plant since the 70's, but because of politics, they have not been able to complete it. of what use is that to anyone? Any nuclear project now will be a white elephant project, we do not need it now, neither do we have the capacity/capability to run it. It is good to look forward to it as a future need in the 20-30 year span. When we have gotten other basics settled, we can begin to aspire for higher ground.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 12:20am On Apr 09, 2007
@Debosky

if you wait for 30 years you will not be able to compete to get power cheap. My argument is that even if it is one power plant let us have it so that by the time others are talking about getting this we have th edge.

If we wait for 30years this guys will make minced meat out of you.

we must have it now so that we have the edge over others. Just as we are experienced in oil business over the years we should be experienced and even advanced in nuclear power generation.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Horus(m): 12:30am On Apr 09, 2007
Nigeria Approves Seven Accords On Nuclear Power Project

Abuja (AFP) Nov 22, 2006

The Nigerian government said on Wednesday it had approved seven international agreements on nuclear safety and accountability as part of moves to create an electricity-generating atomic power industry. Seven other nuclear treaties have already been approved.
"The ratification and domestication of these 14 agreements will demonstrate Nigeria's commitment to international rules and procedures for nuclear safety and security as well as accountability for nuclear materials," Information Minister Frank Nweke said.

The new accords must now be ratified by parliament.

Nigeria wants to harness nuclear power to boost its electric power output.

They are the Convention on Nuclear Safety, the Convention on Physical Protection of Nuclear Materials, the Amendment to the Convention on Physical Protection of Nuclear Materials, the Joint Convention on the Safety of Radioactive Management, the Vienna Convention on Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage, Joint Protocols relating to the Application of the Vienna and Paris Conventions, and the Agreement on the Privileges and Immunities of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Nigeria wants to harness nuclear power to boost its electric power output.

Nweke said the country of 130 million hoped to increase its generating capacity more than tenfold, from less than 4,000 megawatts now to 40,000 megawatts by 2015.

"We realised that if we are to depend solely on hydro, coal and gas in the Niger Delta area, it will be very difficult for us to achieve that target," he said.

"We must indeed explore other sources, particularly nuclear power, as a major component, not just as an option."

Nweke said the cabinet had made it clear that Nigeria was only interested in using nuclear energy for civilian purposes.

"Nigeria is not interested in deploying nuclear power or harnessing nuclear power for military purposes. Not at all," Nweke said.

Source: http://www.energy-daily.com/reports/Nigeria_Approves_Seven_Accords_On_Nuclear_Power_Project_999.html
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by jockey112(m): 12:51am On Apr 09, 2007
thanks you have spoken well,yes basic needs to be met but with those resources we have  i think its better to also channel few to greater things than good roads and so on ,i will give an example a lay man would understand ,lets assume nigeria is a man called JOE ,joe was a very hardworking guy but nothing to show for it and he is in debt ,luck struck on him and he recieved cash favour from the king,the first thing that came to joe's mind is how is going to buy new cloth and new shoes for himself and his family even though he was in debt ,but luckily he decided to seek for advice from a rich man in his town ,the first advice is [1]pay off you debt ,that way you will be respected and welcome among noble men [2] piriotise your needs meaning essentials things only and thirdly INVESTMENT meaning  securing your future.

what am i saying here ,yes its too expensive but in the nearest future any serious nation without it is a joker.lets start now .
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by babasin(m): 9:14am On Apr 09, 2007
ok. Let start with basic questions:

where would the nuclear plant be located? and where do you store in the spent fuel rod? in Ota Farm?

Surely not in a Village or 200km close to my village.

who among you will volunteer their village??

And please read more about Chernobyl disaster
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 10:07am On Apr 09, 2007
You can Situate it In the Northern Part of Naija.

and my brother with the Chernobyl thing It is overblown by the USA. You have a massive Expanse of land in the North wasting for nothing. You just need be High of Safety Regulation like with your Crude oil. Even then The Crude oil disasters have killed people in the world.

People have Xray and work in Radiography for the benefit of Human life should we stop them? may be you should travel around Naija and see for yourself.

If They want you can bring it to my state.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by babasin(m): 11:47am On Apr 09, 2007
@Backslider,
If They want you can bring it to my state

Thats very good of you. I never knew there still some good Nigerian around. What is your state name?

and my brother with the Chernobyl thing It is overblown by the USA.

are you sure? New born babies are still getting deformed in that town and this is from German TV, plus Swedish TV
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 11:58am On Apr 09, 2007
@babsin

OSUN
grin
There babies here in in Ghana that are deformed No Nuclear fallout.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by McKren(m): 11:59am On Apr 09, 2007
Nigeria should tackle hunger first
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Larufa(m): 12:10pm On Apr 09, 2007
Building Nuclear Power Palant in Nigeria is pure waste of fund, it will end been a white elephant project like the Ajaokuta Steel Complex and Aluminium Smelting Company (Akwa Ibom). The OBJ govt. is just trying to find means of waste the country reserve.

Have we fully utilized our God given resources - Oil and Gas?
Why are the refineries not working?
Have we optimally use Gas to generate Power?

Has the Govt. conducted and fully study the environmental impact analysis of having Nuclear Power Plant?

Why are the developed countries having problems with disposing and storing their Nuclear waste?
Do we have contigency and monitoring alert system   for coping with any indicent of nuclear fume leakage?
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Backslider(m): 12:31pm On Apr 09, 2007
The fact of the matter is that There are Millionaire Saboteurs in Energy Business. They spend money to frustrate your effort

Perkins or Lister etc is not sitting down to wait for you to get your House in order they are making money from your problem. They have agents that will sabotage your Effort In Energy. So you use the Problem to solve the Problem. The Rich guys know that there is money in Energy production Give them Licenses to Supply energy.

Set up 4 Energy Companies that will Produce Energy.

set up 3 more energy companies that will see to the effective distributions.

In 2 years there will immense supply of Energy and it will be cheaper.

That is the reason why I say with oil Business (refinery) Let it go the way of GSM Licenses. We already know How much we Use of Petrol it is in the trillion.

Just Auction Licenses for the 10 or More refineries to be Built and run privately sell the crude oil at[b] 50% world price to the refineries.
[/b]

This guys are making money off you in Crude oil they don't care if you bleed to death It is not there business if you sleep in darkness.

You just License people to run refineries in the states simple and sell the crude to them at a very low rate. we will be supply Petrol to the Whole World because of the competition it will be cheaper to by in Naija.

I like to hear demerits of this proposal.
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Horus(m): 3:10pm On Apr 09, 2007

Pakistan may make Nigeria a nuclear power

Pakistan yesterday offered to share military assistance, including "nuclear power" with Nigeria, in defiance of President George Bush's new counter-proliferation initiative. The offer was announced by the Nigerian defence ministry in a statement saying that General Muhammad Aziz Khan, chairman of Pakistan's joint chiefs of staff, had made the offer to the Nigerian defence minister, Rabiu Kwankwaso, during a visit to the west African state's capital, Abuja.
"Speaking at the opening of the discussions, the Pakistani chairman of joint chiefs of staff ,  said that his country is working out the dynamics of how they can assist Nigeria's armed forces to strengthen its military capability and to acquire nuclear power," the Nigerian press release said. Neither the Pakistani nor the Nigerian governments clarified what Gen Khan had in mind.

The announcement is likely to provoke consternation in Washington, coming just a month after the mastermind behind Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme, Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted publicly that he had run a black market in nuclear weapons materials. Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf, expressed shock at the confession, but pardoned Mr Khan, much to the anger of nuclear inspectors at the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna. A detailed report in the New Yorker this week suggested Washington had turned a blind eye to the Pakistani government's connivance in sales of nuclear materials and technology to countries like Iran and Libya, in exchange for permission to send American commandos to hunt down Osama bin Laden in Pakistan's Hindu Kush. A week after Mr Khan's confession, President Bush launched a counter-proliferation initiative based on international cooperation to curb transfers of nuclear technology and materials. Gen Khan's offer to Nigeria appeared to be in blatant defiance of that initiative. The general made clear that the snub was intentional, declaring: "Pakistan had to take its destiny into its own hands to become a nuclear state because of the regular threats posed by hostile neighbours with special reference to the Kashmir conflict," according to the press release. US officials are also baffled at Nigeria's intentions, nearly five years after the country restored civilian rule, and at a time when it is under no threat from its neighbours. Two months ago, the Nigerian vice president's office announced that it had struck an agreement with North Korea to gain access to Pyongyang's missile technology. The offer was subsequently denied by North Korean officials and played down by a spokeswoman to Nigeria's president, Olusegun Obasanjo. The Nigerian government said at the time that "nothing was written in stone" and that any North Korean missile help would be used for "peacekeeping" and to protect its territory. It said it was not seeking nuclear technology or any other weapons of mass destruction. The South Korean unification minister, Jeong Se-hyun, said it was not clear whether Nigeria had accepted the offer, but said he didn't think the issue would cause many problems. "I see it as a tactic by North Korea to arouse anxiousness from the United States ahead of the second round of six-nation talks," Mr Jeong said. Nevertheless, the reports caused alarm in Washington.
"If the Nigerians go through with this purchase, they will have earned the unenviable distinction as the first sub-Saharan African state to introduce ballistic-missile technology to the region. They will become the initiator of a supremely wasteful and potentially deadly arms race," said Richard Norton, a national security expert at the US naval war college. "Nigeria's motives would be questioned and its moves viewed with suspicion. And the Nigerian-US relationship would be damaged, perhaps badly. Substantial amounts of US military and law enforcement aid given to Nigeria might be placed in jeopardy."

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,2763,1161774,00.html
Re: Nuclear Power Plant For Nigeria by Hugoboi(m): 3:19pm On Apr 09, 2007
Oh my gawd!! >>>>> Anutha Chernobyl in the making!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Election Results 4rm Owo In Ondo State. / Am Afraid... Buhari Is Winning... / See The Food Served At A BMC Meeting (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.