Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,431 members, 7,781,257 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:23 AM

Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? (23463 Views)

Buy Hp Pavilion Dv4 #35000. Click For Details. / Which Shud I Buy Hp Pavilion Dv6 Or Hp Pavilion G6? / Which Laptop Is Better To Buy, Hp Or Dell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2008
@gamine

hmm, "anything"? really? will hold you up on that.

kiss kiss kiss

love and kisses hugs and misses, eh?

@bigbrovar

netbooks? reduced function subnotebooks running intel Atom? well, hardly will make an impact in naija in the near future, whatwith lack of internet wireless blankets even in major cities, and "cloud computing" is still feckle. citation: Apple's MobileMe is still giving headache.

netbooks are core computing devices, and naijans crave power power power (which they subsequently proceed to abuse). i don't think netbooks suffice as the sort of linux takeover i have in mind. ive been following the Ee PC growth on Engadget so for some time and I'm not particularly blown out of the water by what i see.

in any case the OS is overly simplified with advanced features locked out (especially Linpus Linux in the Acer below). this negates your proclivity for wanting freedom to tinker as you wish. it is said that to even enable "right click" in Linpus Linux one had to tinker beneath the GUI.

see the Acer Aspire one running on Intel Atom below.

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 12:39pm On Sep 25, 2008
Asus eee PC, also a netbook running Win XP. great for typing docs, emailing and other core computing stuff.

not so for gaming or Auto Cad'ing or 3D design or video edits. attribute that to the 900mhz intel celeron.

its mantra on its website is "easy to learn, easy to work, easy to play".

so power users are left out, and further lending weight to my belief that next gen comuting is geared towards making computers easier to use and less complicated to configure.

like Mac. grin

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 12:55pm On Sep 25, 2008
Let me state my stand here that AT PRESENT Mac is more secure than our windows guy, i also agree to the ease of use and flexibility. Those are fundamental facts.
Interestingly the number of number of Laptops sold in 2005 for the first time in history OUTNUMBERED their desktop brothers, US only.

Mac users are on the increase, because instead of guys going for middle range portables, they prefer the Mac that falls in that category and still perform better than their windows counterparts.

The fact should however not be ignored that MICROSOFT AND WINDOWS gave the world computer literacy that led to the unprecendented developement of Computer Technology today. I have not seen any one learning to use a system and practises with a mac.

@Ex

You Said: Mac is obscure, to use your term, only in the bigger picture of computing in a population that buys heavily into wiondows machines.

Let me say that i'm not the originator of that term. Security by Obscurity is a concept employed in cryptology and computer engineering which means the secret being hidden is the key to the entire system's security. Your comments have earlier testified to that statement and if i should use a more general term, i'll say CLOSED SYSTEMS. The links below gives a clearer view.

No matter how closed their security is, it can still be easily broken with the right tools and right-sided brain. Now do u know that the itunes have been made 2 sync with non "i" gagdets?
Do u know that u the the "i" gagdets and stuffs were hacked even before it was released and this was done by a Linux hacker on a Linux system?

I've got hundreds of bugs and fixes in the mac systems but the fact is very many persons are unaware of the information.
The fact is this, no matter how secure anything is, once released it is no longer secured.
If it comes to the worst we'll employ REVERSE ENGINEERING.

I dont know but it's a challange that i've given to anyone who has met with me. NO VIRUS OR WHATEVER CAN GET IN MY SYSTEM. Maybe it will fail tomorrow but has worked for the past 5years.

I remain a big apple fan cos they got some real nice stuffs but for every apple product acquired, then expect lesser security, that was a report by some security experts this year. I definitely know they will continue to work harder

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1980
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/15/apple_security_fixes/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10005653-16.html
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 1:31pm On Sep 25, 2008
@Djcn

absolutely correct on all points.

however i do have misgivings.

1. NASA, NSA, Pentagon etc have all had their systems hacked. its a fact of life, such is the nature of computing. Even Linux boxes are not safe because security is relative.

2. Mac is closed, agreed. but the core users hardly complain. devs have all the tools the need from basic toolchains, webkits, Rosetta, XCode etc. it is easier to make Applications for Mac than it is with windows especially after the advent of Interface Builder.

OS X is not an attempt to add to the OpenSource movement, OS X is a commercial product embodying decades of Apple innovations. The Mach BSD kernel OS X was derived from is open source, however the additions and extensions to that kernel are patented by Apple. Opening up OS X will expose those very APIs and patented technology that make OS X what it is.

is windows any more open? fact is, no commercial OS should be open as long as it is intended to make money for the developer.

Free software should be open, but not commercialware. my gripe about Mac openness has nothing to do with core components or source code; its the lack of trust Apple has for its users. with a windows installation CD you can make as many copies as you wish, not so Mac. And the sort of litigation and class action lawsuits that forced Microsoft to offer an option for disabling explorer and media player as default apps dont seem to be in the law courts against Apple.

however tying in their apps to their products (itunes to ipod/iphone Apple TV) is supposedly to make them more secure, and personally since the conjugal union works i see no reason to want to use someting else to sync my devices.

3. Microsoft did not give computer literacy; Unix did. all Micrsoft did was popularise the concept of mass computing by taking it to the masses outside of University and business halls. and the actual mainstream computing revolution (GUI, mouse etc) was started by Apple way back.

actually in terms of mainstream computing, we owe a lot to "Big Blue", IBM.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2008
@Ex
You're an IT guy but sometime i feel u're too passionate abour your posts.

You said: now i know that vista has failed (because it has not hit the intended installation base, hence the rush to release windows 7 by 2010), just like windows ME failed.

Those very statements can send false signals. You should not expect me to detail u about the timelime of microsoft products because i believe u should know them better.
For others out there, this was how it went.

In 2000 Microsoft started the planning to follow up Windows XP and its server counterpart Windows Server 2003 (both codenamed Whistler) with a major new release of Windows WINDOWS 7 codenamed Blackcomb. This new version was at that time scheduled for a 2005 release.

Later, Blackcomb was delayed and an interim, minor release, codenamed "Longhorn", was announced for a 2003 release. By the middle of 2003, however, Longhorn had acquired some of the features originally intended for Blackcomb, including WinFS, the Desktop Window Manager, and new versions of system components built on the .NET Framework. After the 2003 "Summer of Worms", where three major viruses − Blaster, Sobig, and Welchia − exploited flaws in Windows operating systems within a short time period, Microsoft changed its development priorities, putting some of Longhorn's major development work on hold in order to develop new service packs for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 that included a number of new security and safety features. Development of Longhorn was also "reset" in September 2004. The eventual result of this was that WinFS, the Next Generation Secure Computing Base, and other features seen in some of the Longhorn builds were deemed "not ready" for wide release and as such did not appear in Longhorn when it was released as Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

As major feature work on Windows Vista wound down in early 2006, Blackcomb was renamed Vienna(WINDOWS 7). However, following the release of Windows Vista,a new date of 2009 wa fixed for the release of Vienna. Ex, would u say that because intel decides to release a processor means the former one has failed? Would u say same for a mac

Now VIENNA boasts of innovative technology that has never been seen before in any OS. Let me reserve much comments on this as i'm still studying the features.

Now for guys who've been using systems for let's say a decade? Pls how was the reaction of users when 2000, and XP came on board? Initial problems but later stability and XP is th only Software that has dominated the world market for 6 SOLID YEARS. Who can beat that.
We always complain of change and that's normal, now can u remember the reactions when the world was shifting from 16 to 32 computing? I still got my library intact. This is the main reason why 32 and 64 are being treaded together for a seamless transition. We got to keep going and we will keep going,
Thx all
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 2:00pm On Sep 25, 2008
Well, a friend of mine reading this thread called me and made a statement. "He said maybe it's because some of us knows how to always get around the corner that we feel nothing is secured." Samir u can hack any wifi networks in less than 5 mins. I can do anything i want with my mac in 60 seconds. Mac installation is a child's play, 1+1-4 chips

To a large extent PC users dont complain of their PCs, Mac users enjoys working with their mac after playing with PCs.  everyone enjoys working with systems.

Who are the mases? majority or minority? The masses in Nigeria today are suffering and i'm one of them. Let's someone help us.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were mates and Gurus in the same Time frame. Both has tried but one is well known while the other is not well knowed even to mac users. Djcn and Ex knows them both.

Holla to all that keeps the computing world up.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by vescucci(m): 2:09pm On Sep 25, 2008
I think maybe we now know to buy acer instead of HP. undecided
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by vescucci(m): 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2008
Hey Ex, I'm coming into town by weekend. How's about eating some ram witcha? I did say I wanted your classic collection before. I'm gonna come to Wondernet sooner or later. Rendezvous point that.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2008
@Djcn

sorry for not responding in time, had to work for a while.

much as I'm reluctant to partake in derailing this thread, I'm tempted to say a few things.

first, I'm not "an IT guy" because ive not studied IT in any formal institution, i do not earn my living from IT, and i don't intend to. I'm a financial analyst, best believe it, but i daresay i can give a lot of IT professionals a run for their money (i do some pro bono consulting every once in a once).

thats that cleared You. now on to Vista. on the shortcomings of Vista I'm sure ive said all i can here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-136195.64.html

however allow me to say this:

Vista has failed.

it has failed to unseat XP as the current dominant Windows OS, it has failed to induce enterprises to move up to vista, it has failed to encourage OEMs to stop offering XP to some customers, it has failed to stem the tide of petitions going around demanding microsoft continue supporting XP, and it has failed to outdo its competition.

any claim to the contrary is simply buying into Microsoft's public relations mop up in the wake of this disastrous failure. and i think you've bought into the PR whitewash going by your belief in the mantra that Vista is a stop-gap measure.

Vista was released last year to mainstream consumers and unless a segment of the public has memory loss it will be recalled that much fanfare trailed the marketing of Vista as a major windows release, often compared to the launch of Win 95 in same magnitude.

so where did the notion that vista is a stop gap minor release come from?

why from microsoft, from none other than its bellicose CEO Steve PAlmer himself. in the link above i gave the reference to his statement in an interview in which he confessed that Vista is a "work-in-progress".

which means its unfinished, then.

six years and lots of billions for a minor release? please!

its interesting the euphemistic terms you use, such as vista development was "reset", and that WinFS and such were "not ready".

the proper babrebones terms should have been longhorn was "discarded and restarted from the ground up because it wasnt working", and Windows future Storage was "not ready because its demands go beyond the hardware existing in circa 2004". the file system WinFS requires would have been incompatible with existing XP and Win2K software.

and DWM wanted intense graphics (yes i saw the developmental roadmap) beyond existing graphics cards' abililities, and Direct X 10 cards werent quite ready then and woulndt be for another two years (they started coming out last year).

Jim Allchin himself, Vice President of Software Platform, personally told Bill gates that Lonhorn was coming apart at the seams around 2003/2004, and that they needed to start all over and drop features until such a time when other factors  come into focus. (by the way Jim Allchin once said that he'D buy a Mac if he wasnt working at microsoft. see Macworld 2007).

by the time Microsoft restarted work on longhorn/vista, they decided to rethink their search module and settled on an indexing search service hugely lifted from Tiger's SpotLight. they watered down DWM to composite pseudo-3D windows and translucency (Flip3D and Aero) even though OS X with its Aqua interface was there first with false 3D windowing (eg Expose) and Translucency.

these are the key features of vista largely touted, and they failed to supplant windows XP. vista's featurs list is scanty, and does not justify all the work and billions spent. if its an attemt to replace XP, it aint working because XP aint broke; why fix it?

what compelling feature or benefit does vista offer to justify an upgrade from XP? give a credible answer and you've won me over.

meanwhile Mac OS X leopard offers over 300 features to justify upgrading from Tiger!

PS: a side note, Google's new browser, chrome, was built using Apple's Webkit IDE. same as Safari.

@Vesc

sadly i don't celebrate Sallah in kaduna. family roots ting and such.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by samir101ng(m): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2008
Ah hah, you guys have been going on without me eh angry angry. Well, have been sleeping all day, this fasting of a thing is not eazy you know.

Ex Inferis:

@Djcn

well said.

ive said a number of times that OS is mostly (or should be) a matter of personal preference, however it shouldnt be assumed that a monopoly or a volume seller is the best vendor offereing the best wares out there.

Mac is obscure, to use your term, only in the bigger picture of computing in a population that buys heavily into wiondows machines. but the truth is MAc is most often a niche machine because besides SGI machines, the design and entertainment industry uses Macs predominantly more than PCs. in the US where most of Apple's profit (a substantial profit, beating HPs and Dells of tis world) come, businesses buy PCs more while home users prefer Apple. that is probably because businesses have the advantage of an IT department to attend to the problems of windows while home users do not have such luxury.

Apple does not rely on security by obscurity; Mac OS is secure because like Linux it requires admin privileges WITH A PASSWORD to make changes or install applications. you are always logged in as a standard user and that is a concept windows borrowed in Vista. Unix is inherently secure because of the way it treats accounts and admin privileges, and Darwin is very secure.

Apple is so sure of its security that firewalls come off by default.

now i know that vista has failed (because it has not hit the intended installation base, hence the rush to release windows 7 by 2010), just like windows ME failed. but i cannot see how MAc OS X can be said to fail since steve jobs isnt trying to create a monopoly. the smaller segment of Mac owners he has targeted pay a premium over pc users and this premium secures Apple's high profits againts windows OEMs.

think about it: if steve jobs wanted to conquer the world with Mac OS X, he will make it run on Windows Machines. not even virtual machines like parallels and VMWare are allowed to run OS X in a PC environment. to run OS X on PC one needs to go through a complicated hack job and still suffer incompatibility issues.

as for security none beats BSD. its so secure its alsmost a paranoid machine.

and yes Macs work almost the same as windows because they both use certain preset computing standards and conventions, but the consistent point is its easier on Mac.

i daresay Apple is happy with its consumer base. after all the ipod and iphone are locked devices and yet they are selling like hot cakes.

here's a quote from PC WORLD of July 2007, page 95, item 9 in its list of top ten products of 2007 (mind you, its a PC magazine!):

" quick:name a good vista feature that goes beyond what's in Tiger. Yeah, we can't either."

and that comparison is with Tiger, not Leopard.

@bigbrovar

you don't need to open a port. you only do that if ipfw was manually enabled and firewall rules are applied. however if port 22 is closed why not try 23? just telnet the ip of the fileserver to confirm the port is open (it will ask for your password if it is, but of course you knew that), or try slogin.

anyway just check your firewall rules, go to Terminal and type sudo ipfw list, if port 22 is closed then you will probaly see " deny ip from any to any" in the ipsw list. modify the rules to "allow ip from any to any"

remember i do use Linux and i like it a lot more than i do windows, and it has its strenght over OS X, but the problem with Linux is too many distros. i wish they could just get togeter and make an Uber Linux to end all OS.

afterall, the potential is there.

@samir101ng

yah, I'm fulani from Bauchi, so consider me a neighbor. actually we gave you Gombe denizens your freedom.

you owe me, dude.

Kai dasu waye ? Please, we ruled bauchi with a iron fist. Gombawa Iban Fari, Ba'a Kwana Daku Ba An Tashi Daku. We left for greener pastures. Those azare and katagum people where getting on our nerves.
Its ur problem now  grin grin grin

Gamine:

My days!!

Tech speech unlimited!

@Samir

Weird eh,

i was branded "weird" just because i play games, do graphics and listen to rock music back in sch.

I now went further with my Mac, they were like "Girl! ur either weird or a white girl"  undecided

i was just like  get a life, ma pipu.

@Ex, Anything for you eh kiss

@Topic,

Sure as Djcn said,

The user and function is key

what works for me may not work for another this is where we include the ever useful One mans pot of fura. . . . .

ive had an Acer the motherboard fried faster than potato in a forestfire,

Hp which has dropped more times than the share price of kunu
its one rugged system i tell ya.

The mac works for me as a designer, i would never skimp on this factor.

@ gamine

Sadly, we are all kind of weird to everyone Samir, Gamine, Dual core, Ex inferis, djcn etc. Thats the price we pay we pay for being unique. You should have seen me in my own school days (though i was more of a gaming freak). Everyone used to say i speak a different language just because i speak of processors, cpads and bits. I also speak very fast which sometimes is a curse as people cant keep up with what am saying. grin grin grin.

Djcn:

Well, a friend of mine reading this thread called me and made a statement. "He said maybe it's because some of us knows how to always  get around the corner  that we feel nothing is secured." Samir You can hack any wifi networks in less than 5 mins. I can do anything i want with my mac in 60 seconds. Mac installation is a child's play, 1+1-4 chips

To a large extent PC users don't complain of their PCs, Mac users enjoys working with their mac after playing with PCs.  everyone enjoys working with systems.

Who are the mases? majority or minority? The masses in Nigeria today are suffering and i'm one of them. Let's someone help us.

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were mates and Gurus in the same Time frame. Both has tried but one is well known while the other is not well knowed even to mac users. Djcn and Ex knows them both.

Holla to all that keeps the computing world up.

You know its quite funny actually, am a graduate of Banking and Finance (Bus Admin ). But as Ex said, we can give most I.T guys a run for their money. I think i even read somewhere that the best IT guys are not even specialized in that field before like Computer Science etc. Its just the level of interest you have and how obsessive you have become. don't worry, we are going to keep the I.T flag flying high in naija grin grin grin

vescucci:

Hey Ex, I'm coming into town by weekend. How's about eating some ram witcha? I did say I wanted your classic collection before. I'm going to come to Wondernet sooner or later. Rendezvous point that.

Sorry dude, we aren't eating any rams this time (its small sallah by the way). Holla back in 3 months time and i will mail you deep frozen suya.  grin grin grin
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 9:21pm On Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for those clarifications, i can now see the perspective of your posts.

Ex, inasmuch as i'm enjoying this thread, it seems that this will end up being a MICROSOFT VS APPLE LITIGATION SUIT. If that will be the case then i quit.

I make posts based on facts, records and experience.

Firstly, Microsoft Corporation has the eyes of the world on them being NO 1 in the software developement industry(commercial) and for that matter expect stiff compection.
Apple claimed to have incorporated most of vista's features when the OS was released? JOHN RIZZO was very good at his analysis and critisisms. But then he was short-sighted maybe because he's not a programmer. How could it have been possible to start developing codes for some features in an OS almost at completion  stage if they were not in the original masterplan, Programmers would understand what that involved.

All the features claimed to have Mac OS X similarities have been in early alpla versions of windows and have been demostarated in prototypes more that a year before apple included the features in Mac OS X v10.4
please correct me if need be.

Ex, YOU SAID:

"Vista has failed.

it has failed to unseat XP as the current dominant Windows OS, it has failed to induce enterprises to move up to vista, it has failed to encourage OEMs to stop offering XP to some customers, it has failed to stem the tide of petitions going around demanding microsoft continue supporting XP, and it has failed to outdo its competition.

any claim to the contrary is simply buying into Microsoft's public relations mop up in the wake of this disastrous failure. and i think you've bought into the PR whitewash going by your belief in the mantra that Vista is a stop-gap measure"

Those statements are more of sentimens than facts. I've held some few seminars last year wherby a lot of companies saw the need to upgrade 2 to the vista OS. This is a serious issue and if any flaw or security breaches arises i can be sued for my statements, presentations, and technical advise.
please note that Vista was reeleased to the OEM market in November 2006 and ever since shipped with vista OEM version

Now, i don't know the side to which you belong, but to many persons an OS is all about the GUI and that's all, but even at that windows Vista introduced a new set of features visibly and invisibly. These includes

SECUTITY
Super fetch, Ready boost
Sleep features
Aero glass
Flip 3D
Konnfabulator
Speech recognition
Snipping Tool
Quick Launch ToolBar
Photo Slideshows
Windows Media Encoder
Resizing Icons
Windows Side by Side and others and each of these features has many in-built features

On the QUESTION You asked, it's a good one.

YOU SAID: what compelling feature or benefit does vista offer to justify an upgrade from XP? give a credible answer and you've won me over.

User Account Control(UAC)
Bitlocker Drive Encryption (BDE)
Windows Firewall
Windows Defender
Windows Parental controls
Encrypting File System (EFS)
Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR)
Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
Digital Rights Management (DRM)
Application isolation
Windows Service Hardening (WSH)
Authentication and logon, (GINA), (BD), (PIN), (SC), (SSO), (SSPI), (CredSSP), (FUS)
TCP/IP stack security features, IPv6
Cryptography
Network Access Protection
x86-64 -specific features

The OS brings about many new features that have never been experienced in computing.

Space will fail me to speak on the VISTA CORE, Shells, APIs, WDDM and others.

There have been too much noise about Leopard but i think insted of airing my views site reviews will be in the best positions to give us post analysis of the two OS.

I don't know if You've checked Engadget review, CNET review, PC WORLD and a host of others. I didn't make any contributions to those reviews but those reviews don't just prove what you say about leopard and vista . Scores for the sites include 46:45, 9:8.8, 104:106, 16:16, , Maybe you'll still disagree with the whole internet I[b] have never seen any clear distinction between the 2 OS from more than 20 credible review sites [/b]

Vienna prototype and features were recently demonstrated, i hope Apple ll not come telling us that it was stolen from their Programming Labs.  grin grin grin

Thanks Apple, thx MS for keeping us busy.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 10:32pm On Sep 25, 2008
Human beings are rational and go for the best, if that is currect then check out this figures

O/S Windows Vista
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Year Released: 2007 (4 individdual licence)
No of Purchases

First 6 Months: 60 million ACTIVATED USERS
First 1 year: 100 million ACTIVATED USERS
Present: Close to 200 million ACTIVATED USERS and the number keeps counting,

This figures present the best PERCENTAGE purchases of an OS since 1995

NOTE: A lot of guys in naija who uses pirated copies were not counted, not to speak of the downloads via torrents.

As a financial analyst u should know what the above figures represents when multiplied with figures from 99 to 299 Dollars.

Let's say 50% percent are dissatisfied then we still have users in the hundred of millions, SUCCESS speaks for itself not on paper.

Can some one help us with the users of Leopard and then the percentage increase over Tiger, Apple itself boasts of Tiger as its most successful OS. Developers.apple.com.
I dont know why they love outdated codes remember the Java bug java 1.5
Can i upgrade
Apple has Ink but is it a Tablet PC
Apple and wireless, what's wrong with d signal strengths
Apple and gaming networks? I thought apple founded Xbox Live anywhere
USB catching, Sync networks, network projector, network storage, it goes on
The users are a minority, they only cry in the wilderness, nobody to hear.
Who can hear our voices, maybe the xt guy in the offing.
I love my Leopard

Thx
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 1:01am On Sep 26, 2008
@Djcn

its a little difficult wading through your posts to pinpoint your point, but i will try.

im having trouble figuring out what this means: " Apple claimed to have incorporated most of vista's features when the OS was released? JOHN RIZZO was very good at his analysis and critisisms. But then he was short-sighted maybe because he's not a programmer. How could it have been possible to start developing codes for some features in an OS almost at completion stage if they were not in the original masterplan, Programmers would understand what that involved."

um, Apple's OS existed way longer before windows was a gleam in bill gates eyes, and NextStep, a product of NExt founded by steve jobs after he left Apple, made OS 9 and OS X the most sophisticated OS in the world. the innovations of Nextstep eventually were copied and implemented in windows (like i said, Apple was first to market with GUI and a mouse). after the release of windows jobs sued microsoft for copyright violation.

to this day touted windows features appear first in Apple OS before Windows implement their version.

and like i also said elsewhere, windows did not achieve dominance because it was innovative; it got there because it was a monopoly. buy a new pC and you get windows intalled. what would history had been like were HP,Dell, IBM, Acer, etc each boxing their machines with proprietary OS? chaos, sure,but competition and choice nonetheless which may force microsoft into genuinely innovating rather than introducing superficial features after 6 years of research and development.

strip vista of the fancy visual effects and essentially its windows 2K underneath.

now on to enterprises and vista.

as an "IT Guy"im sure you are aware that most corporatins do not use software security programs like firewalls, antiviral apps, anti spyware etc.

most enterprises,the type that ensure vista's success or otherwise, rely on hardware security tools like those offered by network associates and symantec. that makes moot the security innovations of vista.

then you lit vista's features as :

Super fetch, Ready boost
Sleep features
Aero glass
Flip 3D
Konnfabulator
Speech recognition
Snipping Tool
Quick Launch ToolBar
Photo Slideshows
Windows Media Encoder
Resizing Icons
Windows Side by Side and others and each of these features has many in-built features

ok,let e go through them one by one.

1. Super fetch, Ready boost

these are attempts to speed up a notoriously slow sytem and since microsoft concedes vista development took a modular approach,it can be safely assumed these services were tacked on later. afterall they were not in Beta 2.

2. Sleep features

what,the sleep feature notoriously unreliable on XP (driver conflicts)? all they did was rectify their earlier blunder. this is hardly an innovation, dude.

3. Aero glass

translucency effects, first seen on Apple's Quartz/Aqua interface. its hardly a necessary innovation worthy of an upgrade.its called eye candy and its made a nonsense of by Beryl/compiz in Linux. really,you can do better than this.

4. Flip 3D

a nifty DWM effect that stacks windows in a semi-3D view to give you an overview of all open windows and rapid access to them.
well, Apple Expose does that much better,and that was in Tiger. there are programs on windows XP that give the same effect; for example Switcher, winflip (pix below), Top Desk (see pix attached)

5. Konnfabulator

you must mean Sidebar's widget engine. Konfabulator is a different engine which powers Yahoo Widgets. Yahoo widgets work on Xp. windows vista sidebar was copied from OS X's Dashboard, which existed first.

6.Speech recognition

how many people will use this feature,i cant imagine. still not compelling enough to warrant an upgrade. Speech Manager was first introduced in Apple OS in 1993, it wound upin jaguar and panther, and the Spoken Interface was evolved for OS X into the best implementation in any OS. because speech is integrated into OS X, you dont need anything else to use it,and any application can utilize it as long as the application developer wrote support for it.

7. Snipping Tool

now that is hillarious!. you actually consider this a compelling feature? an innovation? XP has Alt PrintScreen, OS X has Command 3shortcut to capture the entire screen or Command Shift 4 and drag the cursor to the region to capture, release to take the snapshot. besides, there are lots of free screen capture tools for xp.

8. Quick Launch ToolBar

XP already has it,OS X has Dock which is better and interactive.

9. Photo Slideshows

which Xp has, as well as OS X.

10. Windows Media Encoder

haha,this also works on Xp, just as windows media player 11 on vista also runs on XP. you want to try Apple's QuickTime pro for great media encoding?

11. Resizing Icons

a feature? XP too resizes icons (right click desktop, select Appearance,select effects,select icon size). besides the fact that windows stole the concept of icons,scalable icons have always featured in Apple OS. still not compelling.

12. Windows Side by Side and others and each of these features has many in-built features

i dont know what you mean by this,i can only assume you are referring to windows SideShow. now this is almost compelling, except for the fact that only very few devices support it. so far ive only seen one lenovo laptop having a sideshow display built in.

no one can seem to find a use for it.

the rest of the stuff you mention, including UAC which had always been in OS X before windows implemented a copy in vista, do not suffice.

Bitlocker Drive Encryption (BDE):

difficult to use, available only on vista ultimate, and third party tools offer the same function for xp.

Windows Firewall
already in xp. Macs too have firewalls.
Windows Defender
very poor anti spyware.also available for xp.

Windows Parental controls
makes sense only in media center,third party programs offer same fdeature for xp.

Encrypting File System (EFS)
again,third party tools have this. Acer's Empowermenet Emanagement extension has this,TuneUp Utilities for XP and Vista also has similar feature.

Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR)
linux supports it, openBSD supports it, Appleimplemented a version in leopard, to be upgraded and improved in snowleopard.

Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
already in service pack two on XP.

Digital Rights Management (DRM)
is that a required feature? on the contrary this has always been Apple'sdomai (remember Fairplay in itunes, which you yourself said was already cracked)) and one of the things that give Bigbrovar and other freedomites the need toembrace opensource and free software.DRM is not always a goo thing and almost everyone is ditching it.

Application isolation
avoiding DLL conflicts, abi? well, seeing as how microsoft windows is the only OS that uses the dreaded DLL system,attempts to avoid problems with it are hardly feaures.they created the problem themselves in the first place.

Windows Service Hardening (WSH)
an outcome of trsutworthy Computing initiative (which i referred to as Palladium in the other thread).this was occasioned by the need to majke windowsmore secure out of the box because of the tide of viruses attacking windows. Like i said,OS X is more seure than windows,just as all unix and unix based OSs are.

Authentication and logon, (GINA), (BD), (PIN), (SC), (SSO), (SSPI), (CredSSP), (FUS)
which O X implements more effectively.check slogin etc.

TCP/IP stack security features, IPv6
IP6 is yet to fully take off.the world still communicates on IP4 protocol.

Cryptography
not sure what this means. is it any different from Encrypting file system and Bitlocker?

Network Access Protection
no clue here either. essentially firewall. but i must say IPFW on OS X.trounces windows firewalling rules and filtering.

x86-64 -specific features
32bit and 64bit.in vista you need a special copy of vista 64bit to run 64bit apps.

on OS X there exists native support for both 32bit and 64bit computing in the single OS.besides, unlike vista with its segmented approach (basic, premium,busines, enterprise, starter, ultimate),OS X comes with all features in one OS pack.

you said: " he OS brings about many new features that have never been experienced in computing."

i just proved above that claim is erroneous.

you said: " Space will fail me to speak on the VISTA CORE, Shells, APIs, WDDM and others."

i say: there are improvements in the vista core (or kernel) as per processes,priorities and threading. but that is still superficial. SHELLS? vista has only one shell and its STILL windows Explorer (and a virtual DOS, Command line). both are carry overs from windows 95, very dated. WDDM powers DWM and window compositing. big deal, even emerald or beryl on linux composite windows using less resources, and they use openGL or AIGLX, not WDDM.

you said: "Vienna prototype and features were recently demonstrated, i hope Apple ll not come telling us that it was stolen from their Programming Labs"

actually the number one compelling feature in Vienna is touch screen display interactivity and multitouch, like in Microsoft surface.

well, speaking of "Apple telling us it was stolen fromtheir labs", ever heard of the iphone?

that was the first commercial introduction of multitouch computing.

i need say no more.

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by samir101ng(m): 4:46am On Sep 26, 2008
Aargh. You guys are giving me a headache with all this big big grammar angry angry angry. You guys have derailed from the main topic (Ex and Djcn). Why buy hp when there' Acer or other better products. Shikena ! Yes, now back to topic. Anybody seen the new Asus laptops or Packard Bell ? I though they where kinda cool and cheaper too than a hp. They have now kind of disappeared from the nigerian market.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 8:07am On Sep 26, 2008
THESE ARE POINTS OF CORRECTIONS

THERE'S NO NEED ALLOWING PASSION TO SHADOW FACTS

APPLE NEVER INVENTED THE GUI
STAR WAS THE FIRST SYSTEM TO USE THE GUI WHICH WAS INVENTED BY XEROX (PARS)

APPLE'S first use of a GUI system was in 1983 three years after it was invented and being used by systems in the US.

You should know better Apple made a clone of STAR and till date they own their loyalty to XEROX.

In 1984 Apple introduced the macintosh, a mouse driven computer with a GUI.

The mouse was invented by DOUGLAS ENGELBART in 1963 at the STANFORD RESEARCH INSTITUTE (STI) 21 before apple used it with the mac.

The mouse was first used with the XEROX 8010 information system in 1981, which itself was a GUI interface.

Apple has always come out with third parties interfaces developed by research institutes and Labs, , you should have the history books.

Apple has never brougth about an innovation from scratch in it's research laboratories. Maybe you ll save them out.

The first mainstream 32-bit OS with the greatest impact worldwide was windows 95.

At macworld this year Apple claimed that Leopard which was supposed to be successor to TIGER has FAILED to make impact and hit the numbers of expected users and so the quick released of SNOW LEOPARD next year. It's Unforshunate i can't upload the large video files.

For windows vienna the experience will be user-centric and would offer LIVE SERVICES,  Google can explain tose words better. it will also feature a
VIRTUAL HARD DISK. i.e. support for single-file containers that represent an entire hard drive including partitions, and transparently performing I/O operations on this as a typical hard drive, including boot support. Pls surf the whole net to tell me of systems using these technology.

As for multitouch, Apple did not inovated the technology, Bells did in the 80's and years later Fingerworks did a lot of stuffs based on multitouch technology.
It was when Apple acquired fingerworks in 2005 that it was implemented on the iphone which was first released in 2007. So what's the news, an old one.

In 2007 Microsoft introduced Microsoft Surface, a functional multi-touch table-top computer based on a standard PC platform including an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Windows Vista, and 2 GB of RAM
Mind You the mac is not a tablet PC

I subscribe to 2 professional journals and 2 computing mags along with hundreds of DVDS and if You're interested i can always send them to prove my points.

If we can meet physically i've got three things the best of mac users have never been able to do on their Macs, but they take less than a minute on a PC. Maybe You can.

Have a nice day,
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 10:23am On Sep 26, 2008
i dont really feel comfortable when you accuse me of displaying passion and saying it beclouds my argument when anyne can detect an undercurrent of anger in your posts. remember im doing this willingly, not compelled to do it.

now lets keep this strictly academic.

ok, if i remember correctly, i said ione was the first commeccial introduction of multitouch and not that Apple invented the technology. in any case there are various implementations of touch-based interactivity from capacitative to thermal, pressure, sonics, optics etc. what is unique about the iphone is that its the first time multitouch was introduced on a portable device.

why didnt microsoft release surface (which uses a different touch technology) or something similar first? because it is following its tradition of playing second fiddle.

Apple acquired fingerworks and that makes them patent holders to the multitouch type of technology used in iphone and since it is their intellectual property, it is due to give tem credit. no one thought of revolutionizing the phone and let me tell you that innovation does not mean inventing; it means thinking outside of the box and being first to implement existing technolog in radical new ways.

a feat seemingly beyond microsoft.

es Apple did not invent the mouse or the GUI, but they popularised it them by taking them outside labs and concept devices into the public consciousness; they changed mainstream computing and that is innovative.

later microsoft took the core ideas of Apple applied approach to lab technology and created windows and then certain people are brainwashed into thinking Bill gaes invented computers and computing.

he most certainly did not.

he did not invent the personal computer

he did not invent software ( remember before windows, he was writing programs for Apple machines)

he did not invent the internet

he did not invent the GUI or the mouse and was not first to introduce them into mass market consumer computers (Apple did)

he did not invent the concept of Operating systems.

all he did was write BASIC (which was invented by john George Kemeny and Tom Kurtz) for the Altair 8800.

now this Altair 8800 was considered the father of the modern personal computer. Steve Wozniak and steve jobs were inspired by its unique design and went on to produce the Apple 1 in the 70's. it was handbuilt by steve wozniak, co founder of Apple and went on to become what is generally considered as the machine that revolutionized computing.

then the Apple II came along with the first color graphics but poor sales.

And the GUI from Xerox Alto was based on agreement and acquisition because Jobs foresaw the future of computing as based on a friendly GUI.

in 1983 the Apple Lisa was the first system sold with a GUI (graphics, icons, etc and requiring a pointing device-the mouse).

in 1983.

windows 1.0 was released in 1985, and was not really an operating system. it was a shell placed over DOS. the first proper Windows OS, Windows 3.0, was released in 1990.

so what is my point?

simply this: while Bill gates was writing BASIC codes for the Altair 8800, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, the founders of Apple, were busy building and innovating the personal computer. so in truth, among the godfathers of modern day computing stand the founders of Apple.

now, you say Apple introduces third party inventions as its own. interesting. so how come they are not getting sued?

Apple INNOVATES lab inventions and brings them to you and i, Dj, and that is what matters. what did Microsoft ever invent, or innovate?

you can denounce Apple all you want but the rest of the world, the segment that really matters, know better. no one denies Windows dominates the world, but that is the core feature of a monopoly, and one who makes software cannot be technologically on par with one who makes both SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE. (sure, microsoft has the XboX, but the original was essentially a Dirext X PC, Xbox means Direct X box; and they have the Zune, which is still grappling with a measly 2% market share).

and yes you are right, Leopard is less successful than tiger, but that doesnt mean it isnt superior to windows. it only means leopard's direct competitor is tiger, not Vista.

im not intimidated by the magazines you subscribe to, or te size of your DVD library; im rather inclined to be cowered by genuine experience in using both Operating Systems but obviously you feel more comfortable basing your arguments on magazine reviews and DVDs.

I grew up on Apple OS, and Windows played a role in my formative years, so my points of view mostly stem from that fact. google, Wikipedia, etc only serve to refresh my memory, point me in other directions or enforce my opinions.

this is my last ost onthis matter since it has taken a viral "infinite loop".

PS: Infinite Loop is the street where Apple's Cupertino headquarters are sited.

cheers.

@Samir

i had an Asus in 2002, i cant remeber the exact model (a hand-me-down) but it was bland in design. however that Packard Bell GX i posted earlier is making my dreams troublesome.

me want it.

ya shirin Sallah?
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by uspry1(f): 12:32pm On Sep 26, 2008
By the way Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Scott Jobs (Apple) were used to be best friends each other long time ago to get started computer business before Apple and Microsoft was invented!

Few years later both split due to irreconcile differences in business something i don't remember! Google it finding the history of how Microsoft and Apple started beginning with Bill Gates and Scott Jobs!
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 4:20pm On Sep 26, 2008
@USPRY1

its actually STEVE Jobs and they are still friends. Bill Gates has investment in Apple, and Microsoft still makes software for Apple computers.

maybe they are sitting cozy together somewhere sipping fine wine and laughing at this thread.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by chat2chuma(m): 6:40pm On Sep 26, 2008
Men you guys ar really confusing me.You know what!.Pls where in Nija can i get a leopard 10.5 and Vista Ultimate.I intend to merge the 2 on one PC then afta like 3 months,i will see which blows smoke but has no fire!!! cheesy cool
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 7:56pm On Sep 26, 2008
This is the internet. This is an open forum whereby posts can be viewed by anyone, the world over. My desire of making posts are not necessary to attack or accuse but rather to correct and assist those who might stumble upon these posts.

Well said,
The Altair kit was the birth of personal computer based on the intel 8080 microprocessor that gained popularity in 1975. This new processor inspired software companies to write programs and that led to the first version of MICROSOFT BASIC.

IBM introduced it's first PC in 1975 with a built in BASIC language interpreter but fell out of the market due to the cost.

It was in 1976 that Steve Jobs and Wozniak founders of apple first introduced the apple 1 which was sold for $666.66 and apple 11 came up a year later which created a standard 4 pcs.

Up till this point, the microcomputer world was dominated by two types of computer systems 1.the CP/M systems based on the original MITS Altair and 2. the apple 11.
NOTE HOWEVER THAT NONE OF THESE SYSTEMS WERE PC COMPACTIBLES OR Macintosh COMPACTIBLES.

IBM was never known for open architecture but reasoned that for one to be successful in the future PC market one needs to adopt OPEN STANDARDS, MODULAR DESIGN AND SUPPORTS FOR BOTH HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FROM OTHER MANUFACTURERS.

It was the open architecture of the IBM PC and the turnaround of Apple for closed systems that revolutionized the PC world.

On August 12 1981, the IBM PC was born and this can be referred to as the "first PC", IBM contracted the PC's languages and OS to Microsoft and that was how microsoft became the dominant force in PC software today.

PC compactible systems have trived not because compactible hardware can be assembled easily but because the OS was from a third party (MICROSOFT) and BIOS and other chips were also from third party vendors.

While apple failed to enjoy mainstream marketshare was not because it was not good, but because it was closed. Apple controls all the hardware and software.

After years of declining market share, Apple realised this great mistate and decided to lincence it software to 3rd party manufacturers such as Power computing. This was in the mid 90's, and this help Apple in gaining a little popularity.

Apple later realized that it can never break into mainstream computing again because the market was now very compectitive and so cancelled its lincense with 3rd party vendors and took its fate for close ended systems.

Apple has never fought for mainstream computing and it has never challenged microsoft corporation. Apple produces both hardware and software and as such still makes much profit from its range of products.

While it is true that IBM set the standard for PC-compactible systems, today he no longer set the standard for the system it originated.

Today Intel and Microsoft codenamed (Wintel) and to some extent AMD set the future pace of computing.

The introduction of hardware standars such as PCI bus, AGP bus ATX, NLX, processor sockets, Interfaces, and all other standard you can think of today are determined by Intel, Microsoft and AMD. Microsoft plays additional role by supporting all these hardwares with softwares from a to z.

In the list of contributors to the developement of the Computer Systems, IBM is ranked No 1, Microsoft No 2 and Apple No 8

In World rankings of Global Brands. Cocacola is ranked No 1, IBM 2, Microsoft No 3, Intel No 7, Google 10, and Apple 24.

For the greatest impact in the Computing world as it affects individuals. Microsoft 1, IBM 2, Apple 16.

We thank all developers for their contributions to the PC world and we should then see how we can make impacts in our onw little ways,

Thanks all
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Gamine(f): 8:25pm On Sep 26, 2008
AAAAargh TECH SPEECH cry

Steve Jobs has Cancer cry cry

A friend of mine told me to ditch my Mac cry

said Apple is going down
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by bigrovar(m): 2:27am On Sep 27, 2008
@Ex Inferis You are quite right Netbook is a very limited especially when talking about the potential of GNU/Linux .However you would agree with me that the biggest problem of linux and why it has such limited market share is due to FUD. lots of people still see GNU/Linux as for Geeks worse of some people dont even know that GNU/Linux has a GUI such is the amount of FUD that People have for GNU/Linux .why am excited about the Netbooks is that eee pc and co have shown people that GNU/Linux is not bad at all .i mean it has revealed what GNU/Linux has become to people .They Now see that even an 8 year old can run Linux on his PC without any problem. for me that would help in the long run to change attitude and perceptions.

About it being too simple .well are you surprised after all netbooks are just meant to do simple things. and its nice for a change that an adjective "too simple" is now being used to qualify a GNU/Linux device . if i get an eee like device i would use eeebuntu netbook remix .which is just too cool and and has the best interface i have ever seen for a netbook.its simply amazing.i installed it on an eee of the son of one of our visiting prof from the US. and he was blown away by it. Personally i dont like the small screen and the tiny keypad so am getting the Nokia N810 which i can use for all my Cloud computing and lite hacking .
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by sojioguns(m): 12:26pm On Sep 27, 2008
Bottom line, if you are looking for a laptop on a budget, the Acer is for you. If you have extra cash to spend and not gain too much (maybe aluminium casing and other fancy stuff like fingerprint recognition that u would never use, then go for others).
For me, I am still in love with my macbook pro. It does everything I want it to do and NO VIRUS to worry about.
BTW, I just moved over to the apple side a year ago and no turning back. I have dual core and quad core PCs but they just dont cut it.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by Djcn: 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2008
I got apple's most innovtive product the macbook air for sale, it was released this year and currently not in the Nigerian market. Pls check out the features and u'll say wow. posted the specs and pics before. Interested buyers pls beep me.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by sojioguns(m): 2:20pm On Sep 27, 2008
@ Gamine, Why would u wanna do that? The same way Bill Gates resigned from Microsoft, Steve Jobs will do that one day. That is what setting up a proper organisational structure does. Apple has that. So the company will still be a world power for many years to come.

@Djcn How much is your MB Air? It is in Naija but too expensive. Superior equipment has a couple.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2008
@chat2chuma

its kind of hard laying your hands on a leopard install DVD, its good for only 5 installations so most peole don't want to share. mine is exhausted and i couldnt make a copy because the DVD wont allow me to. the best option is to purchase a copy. i think it goes for around $129 (last time i checked in MacMall) which is around N15,093 current exchange rate. when you get it you can install Vista on BootCamp and dualboot leopard and vista, or hoist it on parallels as a virtual machine.

@Djcn

I'm very impressed by your statements above, and i believe it has served as closure for our derailing of the primary topic. in the end, you have made my point that:

1. Apple does not target the PC market as a way of asserting dominance (else OS X will run on windows).

2. Apple makes great hardware and software

shikenna!

@Gamine

he had cancer around 2004, now he is on a strict vegan diet consisting of tofu and broccoli, so he loses weight.

big deal. Tim Cook is capable of running Apple without Jobs, and the venerable Johnny Ive is still on board as Head of Industrial design.

Apple will outlive jobs.

@Bigbrovar
you are rigt, but the problem is that most people, especially naijans, wont understand and appreciate the benefits and need for cloud computing. these dumbed down netbooks will just be anoter Acer to them. in the near future when WiMax is spread all over naija peole might embrace simplified core computing without the headache of being tethered to wires and complex OS. incidentally the ASUS N10 Netbook is great for gaming, see pic below (running Call of Duty 4!!).

@sojioguns

hey up to you, fellow club member. you have just joined the league of extraordinary gentlemen (and elves). Go Apple!

@Djcn
no offense but cool as Macbook Air is, i don't realy fancy it. the lack of an optical drive is a deal killer, especially in naija where we install stuff via CD/DVD and play platter-based movies. believe it or not people still buy audio CDs.

i must admit, MA is one sexy machine, but give me a Macbook Pro any time of day.

Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by sojioguns(m): 5:30pm On Sep 27, 2008
@Ex Inferis, Nice to know you are a mac user but know all that stuff about Jobs and his crew, menn u try. I feel you about the MBA. Samsung has the X310 that is as small and light (but not as thin) as the MBA.
BTW what do you do (in KD)
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by bigrovar(m): 6:14pm On Sep 27, 2008
@ sojioguns , Ex Inferis maybe u guys could create a MAC thread here on Nairaland. because we have some mac users here and it would be cool to share ideas and tips .just like we have the ubuntu-linux thread , just my 2cent
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2008
@sojioguns

before MAcbook Air there was this sexy Toshiba Portege (can't remember the model number) which has a slot-loading combo drive inbuilt. its almost as thin as the Air but sadly being a Tosh, no one paid it much notice.

if i had enough money i'D vary the naija laptop market by importing exotic, sexy, smarter and cheaper machines few naijans have heard of (but which blew me away in interactive sessions). because I'm really into gaming (moving up to pc gaming) and since to me the future is High Def, I'm thinking for shelling out for an Alienware Machine, a Falcon or a Dell XPS. ive seen some of these machines in action churning out unbeleiveable highdef framerates without battling an eyelid and I'm sold. my mate in the US has an AlienWare desktop box that has two Nvidia SLI cards working in sync to put out 1080p graphics.

the monster cost about $5000 (five hundred and eighty five thousand naira) and has 5 cooling fans and a looping liquid cooling system.  forget the noise it makes (worse than xbox 360) but those grafix! it even runs on special RAM designed for gaming running at 800mhz with ultralow latency.

to die for.

mostly i laze around in KD, its a town in slow motion, cheap, and cool.

good news, though, Apple is finally embracing gaming, and the likes of EA and id are swinging to the platform. by the time snow leopard debuts and the new line of radical MacBooks (they are hinted to be full of surprises, expected to innovate how we use computers) hit the shelves, Macs will be formidable gaming devices and probably finally close the gap with windows.

@bigbrovar

good idea, except if we have a sizeable bunch of nairalanders willing to partake. don't want to dedicate time to a thread that will last only a few pages on interest.

will you be getting a netbook?

@everyone

in the first page of this thread i remarked that most laptop/pc makers do not build the machines; contract manufactureres do. well, just now i was trawling online looking for great gaming laptops and came across this snippet to bolster my assertion:

", most laptops are
made by the same two or three companies in Taiwan! The same components
and mainframes are assembled under different brand names and marketed
to the public. Not to get too cynical, but sometimes it's the laptop with
the better paint job or the better advertising that will
win your purchasing dollar."

http://www.bizwaremagic.com/buy-notebook/top_gaming_laptops.htm
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by ExInferis(m): 2:46pm On Sep 28, 2008
Mac users, google these great config tools

Cocktail and Onyx. They work in both Tiger and Leopard.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by KarmaMod(f): 2:51pm On Sep 28, 2008
Air's garbage.
Re: Why Buy Hp When There's Acer? by bigrovar(m): 5:01pm On Sep 28, 2008
@bigbrovar

good idea, except if we have a sizeable bunch of nairalanders willing to partake. don't want to dedicate time to a thread that will last only a few pages on interest.

will you be getting a netbook?

Naa screen and size of keypad puts me off . am getting a Nokia N810 with 8gb mini sd card.add that to the 2 gb card inbuilt and u have 10gb space ,  still a far cry from my 16gb itouch.but unlike a netbook its pocketable,its touch screen and unlike the itouch its free and made to be hacked with it i can Hardware-wise, it's a 400MHz TI OMAP pseudo-dual-core (400MHz ARM CPU with 300MHz TI DSP). Hardware-wise, it runs the Maemo OS, which is a modified version of Debian GNU/Linux.Overall I am extremely impressed with it. from what i have seen in reviews
As far as customizations, the thing comes with a terminal by default and can and a quick look around shows that the OS uses:

(1) Standard armel Debian port, Linux 2.6.21
(2) Standard apt-get, with a user-friendly frontend
(3) Standard freedesktop.org .desktop file launchers
(4) A Mozilla based browser that even takes minimally modified Mozilla plugins! and supports flash,ajax, and java scripts
(5) A slideout qwerty keypad
(6)webcam for making video calls with skype
With that said, there's great room for extensibility on this for example i could install Andriod,Debian,or KDE4 on it even win 3.1 if i wanted. plus its easy to compile a normal ubuntu application for the maemo OS,  for me its just the perfect device. i have placed and order for it through Nairaland's brume .he is also helping me get the dell xps m1330 (the ubuntu version) ,  in anticipation i have setup a webbased media server for streaming mp3s and video via wireless with the Nokia IT using the webbrowser

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Brand New Sealed iPhone 13 Pro Max @ 550k / Choosing The Right Laptop For Gaming / Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.