Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Sweet Alewa - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Sweet Alewa (6162 Views)

Man Found Tomtom Sweet In A Beer (photos) / If You Have Not Eaten This Sweet, Then You Are Probably Still A Teen / Warning: Sweet Sensation Resturants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sweet Alewa by brill: 1:02am On Sep 15, 2008
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW ALEWA IS MADE .IT IS A SWEET LIKE CANDY ROCK SOLD IN ENGLAND, IT IS SOLD BY THE HAUSAS, , I HEAR IT IS MADE WITH SUGARCANE SOME SAY WITH JUST SUGAR THEY ARE USUALLY WHITE IN COLOUR BUT CAN BE COLOURED PINK OR FLAVOURED WITH PEPPER OR COFFE, SOME PEOPLE CALL IT BALEWA,

MANY THANKS
Re: Sweet Alewa by brill: 12:00am On Sep 18, 2008
still no answer are there no northerner in this forum, PLS HELP I NEED THE RECIPE FOR ALEWA,

THANKS
Re: Sweet Alewa by getam: 1:58am On Apr 01, 2009
You cant ask how Alewa is made which type of Alewa there are probably several hundrededs made from various diffrent ingredients.How ever the the term Alewa in itself does not automatically implies a traditional hausa sweet.Alewa can be used to describe any type of Sweet especially the foreign ones.There is a 95% chance that an average Hausa Kid you will see on the road has never tasted any such traditional hausa Alewas you are talking of. Cheers wink
Re: Sweet Alewa by getam: 2:03am On Apr 01, 2009
Hello again i cant help asking what would a yankee like you be needing alewa recipe for.Just curious would really like to hear cheesy.If you tell me may be i might look up the libraries see if i cant get 1 or 2 recipes for you smiley
Re: Sweet Alewa by Leilah(f): 5:10pm On Apr 01, 2009
there is an arabic one called helwa but they are more like cakes, there is an indian one called halwa which look like wha tyour talking about cut but up small squares.  It could derive from either of the above.

Halwa can be made made with bits of almond, cardamon, sugar and milk. Ghee is also added into it and you can colour it with saffron or orange colouring.
Re: Sweet Alewa by tpia: 5:36pm On Apr 01, 2009
Re: Sweet Alewa by bee22(f): 9:58pm On Apr 07, 2009
I don't know how to make it but i remember we used to buy Balewa when we were little and it was of hausa origin.It was just sugar,water and colouring.Very destructive to the teeth.My lil sis can testify.
Re: Sweet Alewa by SisiJinx: 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2009
Water and Sugar or just honey

Mix 'em, pour liquid in a flat pan, put it on fire, wait for it to harden and voila. . . Sweet Alewa!!

If you want it sweeter (like it can get any sweeter than sugar and honey) let it get burnt

The [i]burnt-ness [/i]adds flavor to it.

Disclaimer
I do not advice nor recommend that any SANE person eat, smell or even look at this poison. angry angry
Re: Sweet Alewa by Hauwa1: 1:39am On Apr 08, 2009
this ya recipe for Alewa na wah, get k leg grin. i have made sugar and water many times but never got alewa from it, ummm Jinx, gaskiya fa? grin
Re: Sweet Alewa by SisiJinx: 8:41am On Apr 09, 2009
Rotflmao!! Walahi gaskiya ne! grin

You have to put it on fire for a loooooooooooooong time for it to harden.

That's how our local alewa maker made hers.

Honey is good too.

(1) (Reply)

WE COOK FOR YOU / Check Out This Romantic And Sexy Hot Food I prepared today (pic) / What's The Difference Between 'pure Water Leather' And 'bottle Water'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.