Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) (65670 Views)

Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / 20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 6:29pm On Jul 07, 2006
tell him girl. he is tripping for nothing. did anybody force him to view it sef. imagine people and the way they think sef.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by DoMH: 6:53pm On Jul 07, 2006
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by praetor(f): 8:56pm On Jul 07, 2006
some advice needed guys,

I have a friend who has been in the US for 18 months but hasn't been able to get her papers yet. What's the average time it normally takes for you to adjust your stay?

any advice on how she can meet someone, I've read about not bothering with akata. Should she stick to Africans/fellow naija?

smiley
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 9:17pm On Jul 07, 2006
@Praetor

What is your friend's number, where is your friend? I might be able to help. Depending on which state she is, i might have some advice. I know immigration is Federal Law, but some places are better than the other. Now Marriage for green is really hard, there are better ways to get your status changed. What Visa did she come with? Is she out of status now? How long has she been out of status?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2006
old glory you keep saying there are better ways but you have not posted them. and which state laws are better? if you dont feel like posting them here send me an email, my email addy is on my profile. Tell me if and when you've sent it.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by lilnaomi(f): 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2006
lol diddy n desiree, funny ppl.

personally, me i dont mind doin it 4 som1 else but what am scared of is that when his papers are ready, he might not wanna leave. n if u file for divorce n he doesnt agree, n they tell u 2 go on seperation 4 a while 2 work out ur "problems", u kinda regret doin it bcus it delays ur other plans for ur life, right??

or if eventually, u guys divorce n u end up payin 4 d divorce/alimony (dnt really knw bout dis divorce thing, dnt eat me raw o), it does kinda mess u up, doesn it??

does any1 understand wat am tryna say?? n if u do, wat do u do incase dt happens.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2006
lilnaomi once you begin de craze he would leave. I am yet to hear of someone who married a woman for papers and did not want to leave after he got his papers that would be a new one.

Break his windscreen puncture his tires he would beg you for a divorce
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by praetor(f): 10:10pm On Jul 07, 2006
@OldGlory

Tried to PM/email you but can' see your address. Send me an email at inkandscroll@gmail.com
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by lilnaomi(f): 10:20pm On Jul 07, 2006
lol zebudaya, true. thank u sir!!
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 10:25pm On Jul 07, 2006
Zebudaya

What is your worry with US immigration Laws? Are u in the US? I said Immigration is "FEDERAL LAW" But some parts of the country are better than the other for filing and quicker/more favorable responses. But you have to be in the US for these things to apply to you.

Praetor
Please tell me what state she is in, i am not big on emailing, i can give you tips here. But i need info on her current status, so i can guide her on what i think would be best for her. The info is for all, you just have to know how to interpret and manipulate the law. www.uscis.gov
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by soccerchic(f): 10:33pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hey Busta, am in The T.Dot. are u in Canada too?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by walel: 10:34pm On Jul 07, 2006
@ Zebudaya i can see all you really need on this is advice on how the process works so i will give u the details and then my opinion at the end. When u marry a US Citizen and u file for ur papers if the marriage is less than 2years old at the time of ur interview they will give u a 2year green card 90days to the expiration of the green card ur wife/husband has to file a removal of restricitions on ur green card and they now give u a green card valid for 10years,the good thing is 3years after the issuance of ur 1st green card u can file for US Citizenship so techically speaking u do not need ur 2nd green card for more than a year.

Now my opinion dont do it. Its legally wrong and it can backfire and you would be a slave to the woman for a long long time.I have heard so many horror stories but if you think the end justifys the means, its ur call
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by praetor(f): 10:38pm On Jul 07, 2006
@OldGlory

My friend came in on visa waiver ,which has expired, and she is in Georgia

Any good advice appreciated

smiley
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 11:15pm On Jul 07, 2006
@Praetor

If she is on a Visa Waiver that means she is holds a UK or EU passport, then first and foremost, she needs to go back say to Canada or even Mexico and re-enter the US with a valid 1-94. Stay away from F-1 Visa or anything to do with student Visa or filing through a school. Tell your friend that if she has stayed in the country for 18 months straight, she is making a mistake and putting herself in a bind. When she files for anything, she needs to make sure she starts from a good standing. Or else she risk being denied and deported.

Then step two is what does she want to get a work permit? Green card or What?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by praetor(f): 11:22pm On Jul 07, 2006
@oldglory

My friend has already been here 18months and would like to get green card. Visa waiver expired after 3 months. She would like to work and so needs work permi first.

Any ideas?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by chinani(f): 11:41pm On Jul 07, 2006
@Diddy
That dude (on page 1 talking bout green cards) I think he meant that in most cases a person must be married for at least 2 years to become a citizen. Even if you file papers before (which a person should) if you do not live together as a married couple for 2 years, you don't get your citizenship. How you been?

@Praetor
My sister, tell your friend to research every avenue very very well. But if it comes to marriage then that is not the worse thing. Try & find another African - I know other Africans will help with this - but she should study the person well well! Is there anyone from home (now in the US) who'd be willing to sign for her? Best wishes!
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 12:02am On Jul 08, 2006
@chinani

ok, i gottchu. guess i got it twisted.

i have been fine. what of you hun?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by praetor(f): 3:05am On Jul 08, 2006
@OldGlory

Any pointers on my post?

I haven't heard from you

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 4:52am On Jul 08, 2006
Praetor

I am thinking of the best route for her to take. The problem is that she has violated her visa for more than 15 months. Anything you basically file for right now, will most likely send you home to wait for a reply. But please give me time to think. I am a busy individual. I will come up with something viable soon.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by praetor(f): 6:23am On Jul 08, 2006
@OldGlory

We are all busy!

I don't think she is the only person in this situaton. There are many others as well and they haven't left.

like I said, I'm looking for useful advice for my friend

smiley
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by allbright(m): 11:11am On Jul 08, 2006
joe wil lu get married 4 a green card?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 12:56pm On Jul 08, 2006
nothing
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by shockreaction(m): 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2006
"Would you do it again?"

Uh, what? Do people actually divorce and get married "again" to get another green card for another country?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2006
In retrospect if you had the chance to go back and correct mistakes WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by EdoScribe: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2006
Zebudaya,

This is an internet forum. Is Old Glory an Immigration Attorney? If you need concrete and direct advice, seek counsel. If he is not an attorney, it is a violation to hold out as one.

Praetor,
Your friend needs to go back to wherever she's from and sort herself out. She's unlawfully present in the United States and risks deportation. These are the rules:

(1) The new INA §212(a)(9)(B)(i)(I) provides that any alien who has been unlawfully present in the United States (presence in the United States after the expiration of lawful status or presence in the United States without being admitted or paroled) for a period of more than 180 days but less than 1 year and voluntarily departed the United States (whether or not pursuant to section 244(e) prior to the commencement of proceedings, is excludable for a period of 3 years.

This means that if your friend had only violated her nonimmigrant status for less than one year, she would not be able to come back to the U.S for 3 years.

(2) The new INA §212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) provides that any alien who has been unlawfully present in the United States (presence in the United States after the expiration of lawful status or presence in the United States without being admitted or paroled) for 12 months or more is excludable for 10 years.

In other words, since she has been here for 18 months, she will be barred from re-entering the U.S for 10 years. However, the following are excluded from these limitations: minors, asylees, family unity beneficiaries and battered women and children.

An immigrant waiver is available under INA §212(a)(9)(B)(v) for an immigrant who is the spouse or son or daughter of a United States citizen or of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, if it is established to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that the refusal of admission to such immigrant alien would result in extreme hardship to the citizen or lawfully resident spouse or parent of such alien. No court shall have jurisdiction to review a decision or action by the Attorney General regarding a waiver under this clause.

Now, the question is this: do the 18months include the 90 days? Is she a battered woman? From your post, I presume that she is not married, not a minor hasn't filed for asylum, etc.

Please note that unlawful presence with respect to a nonimmigrant includes only periods of stay in the United States beyond the date noted on Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record. Unlawful presence does not begin to run from the date of a status violation (including unauthorized employment).

Unlawful presence for a nonimmigrant may begin to accrue before the expiration date noted on the I-94, however, in two circumstances: (1) when an immigration judge makes a determination of a status violation in exclusion, deportation or removal proceedings, or (2) when the Service makes such a determination during the course of adjudicating a benefit application. In cases where the immigration judge finds there was a status violation, unlawful presence begins to accrue as of the date of the order of the immigration judge, whether or not the decision is appealed. (If the judge grants voluntary departure, however, the voluntary departure period is not considered unlawful presence).
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by DoMH: 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2006
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Ashiwaju(m): 10:10pm On Jul 08, 2006
Well::There is nothing wrong in the act: it depends on the individual and like most people have said it is better done with black ladies! , if you mess with a white lady, you might end up loosing all you've got

If one must consider the current state in Nigeria and the kinda Queue at the Emmissary's here, you sure would do anything to get that green card!
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by omogenaija(f): 10:40pm On Jul 08, 2006
I havent done it b4, but i've seen it done, i woud only advise ppl to do if both parties know wats going on,

b/c it isnt pretty when the person u marry finds out that they were jus being used.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Ashiwaju(m): 10:44pm On Jul 08, 2006
both parties do it:::dont think its about being used anyway
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by omogenaija(f): 10:47pm On Jul 08, 2006
when i say both parties i mean the guy is aware that he is being used to help the girl , and vice versa
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 2:04am On Jul 09, 2006
Praetor

Edoscribe is right, like i said earlier your friend needs to get here I-94 back in order before you can file for anything.Tell your friend to go out to Mexico or Canada and come right back in. With a Good I-94 u can now file for a work permit.

zebudaya

The field Offices in Baltimore MD, Salt Lake City Utah, Phoenix Arizona, and Las Vegas Nevada have been known to be quicker and more responsive to the needs of immigrants. I know for a fact that people move to these areas to get favorable rulings from Immigration officers and judges. That is all i can say right now. Hope all works out.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Ramses(m): 10:56am On Jul 10, 2006
I noticed this topic and decided to advertise.Ladies, if you are interested in marrying for a stay contact me yer. I am a Nigerian wiv British citizenship. You know the deal yer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Tricycle Driver Gives His Keke Napep A Luxurious Design (Photo, Video) / A Mobile SUV With A Woman On Top Of It Spotted On The Road (Photo) / Photos Of The Two Aircrafts That Colided In Lagos Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.