Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,545 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:40 PM

Abuja Car Race - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Abuja Car Race (10728 Views)

Swiss Nationale Represents Nigeria In Dubai Motor Race (Photos) / The 2015 Nigeria's Superbike Road Race / UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Car Race by cheeruper: 2:42pm On Jul 07, 2006
Anyone interested in joining us in organising periodic car races in Abuja?

2 Likes

Re: Abuja Car Race by Seun(m): 2:49pm On Jul 07, 2006
The novelty factor is in your favor; this will be the first car race in Nigeria. What a nice idea!

The most important thing is to have spectators that are valuable to your sponsors. If car manufacturers feel that by winning your race they will be able to convince people to buy their cars, they'll sponsor the race.

What about the issue of safety? You'll need to spend some money on accident insurance. Ouch.
Re: Abuja Car Race by lukkie(m): 2:56pm On Jul 07, 2006
interesting. are u organising it? where is it supposed to hold? which of the roads?
Re: Abuja Car Race by tianshie(m): 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2006
Something similar to the Dakar rally would be brilliant.
Re: Abuja Car Race by Garuba(m): 4:31pm On Jul 07, 2006
I've always wanted to do that. Like, organize a race similar to nascar or formula 1 racing. Would be so sweet. or even have an exclusive club for people with sports cars (porsches, SL500s, mustangs) to come race in a tournament and win money/trophies.

Coolness grin

1 Like

Re: Abuja Car Race by robby1(m): 4:58pm On Jul 07, 2006
Hmmmmmmm. things are easier said than done! lipsrsealed
Re: Abuja Car Race by mo2(m): 5:12pm On Jul 07, 2006
There will be go-kart racing this weekend at TBS, if the rain does not destroy our plans.
Re: Abuja Car Race by waleleader(m): 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2006
i think it is a great idea , the problem is where exactly in Abuja would u find the road track. Airport road, Sani Abacha road or Nnamdi Azikiwe road. this i believe are the longer, wider roads in Abuja and they don't even seem good enough  for a bike race talk less of a car race.
Re: Abuja Car Race by zebudaya(m): 6:11pm On Jul 07, 2006
You don't use existing roads, you have to build you own race track. Then spread the word all those young kids with souped up cars would come race. the problem is if you put so much money into upgrading your cars armed robbers would steal it from you. All we need is security. You don't really need insurance if they sign a waiver. If you race, you die, you are on your own.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Car Race by diddy4(m): 7:43pm On Jul 07, 2006
kai, why come up with this idea when the naija james bond just left naija. you should have said this when i was back their.

well, hope you get good partners cuzz that idea will be the bomb.
Re: Abuja Car Race by shawna(f): 11:32pm On Jul 08, 2006
lol diddy so ur naija's james bond cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Abuja Car Race by diddy4(m): 11:50pm On Jul 08, 2006
you dont know sef.

i out ran the cops with reverse and i once swerved so dangerously my car stood on its left side tires and later came down. i was pretty scared but when ppl started clapping, my head became so swollen so i waved as if it was a stunt. they didnt know my heart entered my stomach when the care rose.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Car Race by shawna(f): 11:56pm On Jul 08, 2006
lmao cheesy cheesy cheesy so u must like living on the edge
Re: Abuja Car Race by diddy4(m): 12:11am On Jul 09, 2006
yeah, i love it. it is fun. risky but fun.
Re: Abuja Car Race by Ashiwaju(m): 1:17am On Jul 09, 2006
NA yam! on which Road? Hope not wuse or Gwagwalada? and with what car? hope not Bettles::: i can imagine what it ll be like, if it ever happens!
Re: Abuja Car Race by diddy4(m): 1:21am On Jul 09, 2006
it was the old model racer daweoo. i just finished learning how to drive and had got my license so i went on a spin and it was on a well tarred road in port-harcourt.

the car is light dats why it did dat. i didnt know it was gonn@ happen. but it did and i nearly jumped out. i had to tell the person on the right to lean to the right so the weight will bring the car down. shiit was crazy.
Re: Abuja Car Race by babaegun(m): 11:54am On Jul 10, 2006
Well, before you start anything, just make sure the medical facility is ok so that people will not start commiting suicide sake of this dangerous game. Also, the AYA junction that leads to Nyanyan/Mararaba road could be considered as one of the tracks as this will make the government quickly address the traffic jam associated with that part of Abuja. grin
Re: Abuja Car Race by iice(f): 4:16pm On Jul 10, 2006
Sounds like a good idea, we use 2 race in abj but not seriously, just everynight coming back from joints, we'd race down the roads, it was fun wink
Re: Abuja Car Race by kimba(m): 3:03am On Jul 11, 2006
car racing within Abuja? from where to where. Ha about Abuja to Lagos,
Re: Abuja Car Race by zebudaya(m): 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2006
100 laps in a race track is enough
Re: Abuja Car Race by Hunter(m): 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2006
Also what type of cars are you intending to race, we've got pretty much every type here (motorsport is big here) and my favourite is v8 supercars cheesy
Re: Abuja Car Race by naijadey: 3:50am On Jul 22, 2006
Cheeruper your plan is not clear could you elaborate how it would work.
first of all do you just need organizers, have you checked the viability of other places apart from abuja, and what type of racing are you intersted in doing?. is it tarmac or dirt?. Small dirt track racing are the easiest to fund. there's no overhead infrastructure cost. drivers pay a small fee to be members and race for bragging rights or trophies, training on racing techniques is given. as poppularity grows vendors are charged to set stands around the race track. Big time sponsors are attracted and it goes from there. this is a graduall process, but no less exciting.

the other way is go tarmac at once. Attracting sponsors would be the biggest task. so prepare a clear and sensible business plan. A racing body is organised. a track is designed and built, racing begins.

A recognized seasonal racing league is highly welcomed and would help develop nigeria's engineers, improving our stand in the automotive world.
Re: Abuja Car Race by LoverBwoy(m): 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2006
i dont think u really need some big organising committee(thats if this is not business related), just send out infos via emails n phone then list the types of cars allowed, u'll probably have to send out a map-avoid robbery hotspots, inform local police n frsc people n voila grin
Re: Abuja Car Race by zebudaya(m): 6:41pm On Jul 22, 2006
LoverBwoy:

i don't think u really need some big organising committee(thats if this is not business related), just send out infos via emails n phone then list the types of cars allowed, u'll probably have to send out a map-avoid robbery hotspots, inform local police n frsc people n voila grin

You can't race on the road legally you have to build race tracks therfore you need an organising committee. Then again Having your enclosed race tracks with armed security all around would deter robbers
Re: Abuja Car Race by LoverBwoy(m): 7:03pm On Jul 22, 2006
well im thinkin mroe like a fun race not really competeive like the Gumball 3000 rally, semi competitive

it will enable people see the city or states, travel n explore different terrain thats if it goes outside abuja

cos an enclosed car will probably require "qualified car racers"
Re: Abuja Car Race by zebudaya(m): 7:07pm On Jul 22, 2006
our roads are bad, armed robbers everywhere so i don't think it's safe to make the race semi competitive. The Robbers could put burning tires in the middle of the road. End of race.! I guess eventually we should be able to get there.
Re: Abuja Car Race by babasin(m): 12:32pm On Jul 23, 2006
Good Idea. I am ready to invest some money on it.

We don't need to build any tracks as a start.

The race could start from Garki 11 Highway all the way to Federal Sec office. The rules of the Games should be clear and I guess a more catchy name should be used instead of Abuja car race, sounds laughable.

Road Safety should be informed, so the road closed to traffic, it could be Sunday for 3hrs. The Police should also get informed before they teargas everyone and of course National Hospital for first-aid and ambulance.
Re: Abuja Car Race by Oracle(m): 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2006
Itz actually a good idea but itz definitely not gonna be easy to do.
i think they actually had one motor rally during the 2005 ARGUNGU FISHING FESTIVAL
Re: Abuja Car Race by asscend: 2:09am On Jul 24, 2006
Only great minds think of such. U've done well to suggest this. The question I ask is what do all the so called Billonaires of Nigeria do with their money? These are the kind of things they ought to invest in; but its sad they are using their money for Politics. The truth is Nigeria has few genuine wealthy men. Many got their money from the God of Politics, [b][i]no wonder Nija keeps recycling leaders[/[/i]b]. They want to go back to that God that gave them the money in the first instance. True and successful business men will only think of more avenues to attract investors and promote sales. I say this to all u Naijalanders; invest in sports there is huge potential in this sector. Leave oil alone.
Re: Abuja Car Race by asscend: 2:22am On Jul 24, 2006
As per the Car race; my suggestion is that u go to a place like OKADA VILLAGE in Edo state and build a race track there or a race road. Its big enough and can take what ever u need to do. It will be an annual event and so every year people will come to Edo for it.  I'm sure that u can agree a deal with Chief Igbenedion on using his vast land.  As u do this get the Nigerian Car manufacturers and importers to bring a car each for the race and b4 u know it u might have NIGERIAN RALLY incoporarted into the world rally series. Start from some where and grow. Don't let this slip from u. Fast Guys and ladies free business opportunity. , TAKE IT,
Re: Abuja Car Race by dude(m): 10:40am On Jul 24, 2006
cheerruper,

this is a great idea. guess most of those fella's who sent posts either dont know abuja well, or dont understand the concept and nitty gritty of car racing. but am down, and we could work something out. maybe u could buzz me, -08037863608.

laterzzzzzzzzz
Re: Abuja Car Race by Mystique(f): 11:24am On Jul 24, 2006
Hmmm, i love racing cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City For Drivers Worldwide By Forbes / Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.