Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,390 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? (14830 Views)

Lady Vomitting Blood In Ikorodu Was Not A Runs Girl, Not Thrown From Car / Lady Spotted Vomitting Blood In Ikorodu (Photo) / Oranges With Positive HIV Aids Blood In It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by ZuluNation(m): 12:52am On Jul 08, 2006
I Had A Very Bad Experence As A Nigerian Today

I went to the plasma Donation place this morning hoping to bag me a quick $40 for the weekend, cause that's how much the pay for the first donation and another $40 for the next donation within 2 weeks. When it was time to fill out the forms, I was very confident in myself because I have a clean record, very health,never had sex with a dude, and never been to jail. Till I got to a section that asked if I was born in Nigeria or 4 other African countries can't remember the names. I was born in Nigeria, but my parents moved to the states when I was only 2yrs old, lived here all my life.

To make my story short, I'm good enough to enjoy all the benefits of an American citizen but my blood is not good enough because I was born in Nigeria. Man I've never been this embarrassed in my life. embarassed. why are Nigerians singled out so much. If someone from other African Countries worst than Nigeria could donate plasma, I don't see why Nigeria would be singled out.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Bhola(f): 1:30am On Jul 08, 2006
Don't be sad. I sure know how u feel. We do blood drive at work, and all I can do, is register people, because I am from Nigeria. Even peeps from India can donate. Can you imagine that? I mean, if they so need the blood, why can't they just run tests on the units once collected. Afterall, they still have to check the ones they collect.

Take heart my brother. At least you tried to do good!

Cheer up! Worst things can/has happened.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Txlonghorn(m): 2:34am On Jul 08, 2006
I'm in the service and I see that all the time when ever there's a blood drive. Trust me it's so annoying that someone from Liberia, Uganda, South Africa etc, can give blood and we Nigerians can't. Nothing against the countries I just mentioned please oooo!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by DaHitler(m): 2:39am On Jul 08, 2006
In all honesty, they don't want the blood of anyone that has been infected with malaria.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Txlonghorn(m): 2:47am On Jul 08, 2006
@ Afeni,

I'm glad you brought that up.But are you trying to tell me that ppl from Uganda, Liberia or South Africa are not exposed to the Malaria Parasites
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by EdoScribe: 3:40am On Jul 08, 2006
If you set your ambitions for $40 for the weekend and another $40 in another 2 weeks, then you can expect to face insults. Raise your ambitions bro! The only "plasma" in my vocabulary is the plasma TV! There are Nigerians that earn $350 an hour. Dagnabbit!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by diddy4(m): 3:50am On Jul 08, 2006
@edoscribe

thanks my man. thats true talk right there. we are always singled out so it really doesnt bother me. i aint giving no one my blood.

the only plasma i want is the big plasma TVs. i love them.

y'all should stop biting yourself about this. it will change very soon. its just a temporary something.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Nia: 10:01am On Jul 08, 2006
I, too, have never being able to give blood (although it's not really something I look forward to), but I was never singled out cause I'm Naija. Anyone born out of the US was not allowed to give blood period. I knew peeps that were born in Germany, Russia and a dude in Ireland and they, too, couldn't give blood. This is news to me and I am especially surprised they take blood from South Africans but not Naijas since their excuse was that people born out of the US are at more risk of carrying something (i.e a disease or an infection). (I'm not hating on SF people o). But last time I checked South Africa was still worse than Naija in terms of HIV/AIDS infection rate.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by edygirl(f): 1:32pm On Jul 08, 2006
Wow I'm surprised at this. I donated blood last year and I was even about to donate last month but I figured out then that my Hb was kind of low. Boy sorry though for the embarrassment.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by WesleyanA(f): 12:42am On Jul 09, 2006
That's really sad.

how old do you have to be to donate blood? because i was thinking of doing it next year when I turn 17 'cause I heard colleges look at it. I guess i can't anymore then oh well.  undecided

too bad for them. . 'cause Nigerian blood's the best!  not even joking. :sighs:
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by soulpatrol(f): 7:02pm On Jul 10, 2006
don't mind those peeps, its not like non-african blood is better is it? who said non-africans dont have worse diseases?and wouldn't they even have to screen all the blood anyway. na wa o, i feel you because i wanted to donate blood once and someone adviced me no to even bother since im african. can u imagine? and to think i was doing it out of the goodness of my heart to help someone. hisssss!!!!!
abeg, i'll keep my precious blood if they dont want jare, undecided undecidedwink wink wink
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Txlonghorn(m): 12:20am On Jul 11, 2006
soulpatrol:

don't mind those peeps, its not like non-african blood is better is it? who said non-africans don't have worse diseases?and wouldn't they even have to screen all the blood anyway. na wa o, i feel you because i wanted to donate blood once and someone adviced me no to even bother since im african. can u imagine? and to think i was doing it out of the goodness of my heart to help someone. hisssss!!!!!
abeg, i'll keep my precious blood if they don't want jare, undecided undecidedwink wink wink

That was so funny, na wa for them people my sister.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by jgirl3: 1:49am On Jul 11, 2006
This just shows the ignorance of the peeps in this world. Nigerians have an almost better life than Somalis or most of the other countries in west and east africa. That is so painful but we all gotta be cool.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Seun(m): 4:17pm On Jul 19, 2006
Sorry. So did they tell you the reason why Nigerians can't give blood. You need to know.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by hotangel2(f): 4:39pm On Jul 19, 2006
I can't believe my eyes. For reals? Wow that's really sad. I didn't even know that Nigerians couldnt donate blood.

What if It's my family member that need the blood? I just dont believe this! Wow.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by yemstar(f): 4:39pm On Jul 19, 2006
Its not just nigerians its people from most african countries, Americans are very scared of malaria they treat it like aids and some people are carriers of malaria so its just what they deem precautions.

Well at least now i have a valid reason not to give blood besides being scared shitless of needles grin
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by soulpatrol(f): 4:41pm On Jul 19, 2006
but wouldnt they still have to screen blood taken even from a healthy person?
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by OldGlory1(m): 5:13pm On Jul 19, 2006
I was born in Nigeria and i successfully donated blood after 9-11. My blood donation was free, but it was accepted.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2006
maybe they figured u were doing it for the money so they gave u "the form" that will turn u and others away

old glory did it for free so u see  grin

if this my lil joke is offensive i do apologise
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2006
some of you dont even know the real deal there!

as the first posted said nigeria and four other countries were specifically mentioned, and you know what it said? (this was when i was considering donating blood in 2004). it said if you were born in nigeria, if you had ever been to nigeria or if you had had sex with a nigerian consider yourself exempt. i dont think uganda was part of those four countries mentioned because i remember having a big fight with my YT roomie about it. she said it was because of the high prevalance of HIV and it would be expensive to test for HIV in the blood, since you most likely had it anyway. I wanted to slap that nonsense out of her mouth, because i remember that Uganda, kenya or South Africa went even on that list. (maybe things have changed)

also i know its not cos of malaria, because malaria was specifically mentioned elsewhere in the guidelines as were other countries and stuff. like if you been to england in the last three months or so, you cant donate for so and so time or something like that. but nigeria and these four other countries or sumn, no explanation was given and they were all from africa

since then, i always snarl at anyone who looks at me hungrily and asks for my blood, they especially like doing that thing on college campuses angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by fabian(f): 5:52pm On Jul 19, 2006
[left][/left]
EdoScribe:

If you set your ambitions for $40 for the weekend and another $40 in another 2 weeks, then you can expect to face insults. Raise your ambitions bro! The only "plasma" in my vocabulary is the plasma TV! There are Nigerians that earn $350 an hour. Dagnabbit!

cheesy grin smiley cheesy wink smiley

Nuff said. seriously they don't know what they are missing! You guys should not take these things seriously. Na dem sabi. Dem go tire. lol!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by soulpatrol(f): 5:54pm On Jul 19, 2006
gigitte:

since then, i always snarl at anyone who looks at me hungrily and asks for my blood, they especially like doing that thing on college campuses angry angry angry

hungrily,   grin grin grin grin like a zombie eh. abeg keep your precious blood jare.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by fabian(f): 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2006
hehehehe! i tire oh! grin grin
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Oracle(m): 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2006
well itz an annoying thing, but there's absolutely nothing you can do bout it.
so just leave your life the way you should.
the fact that you were rejected doesnt reduce your worth so forget it man

Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by miky(m): 8:26pm On Jul 19, 2006
no ooh una never see nonsense, i was in my highschool class okay. it was time for the redcross donation whatever. man sef dont want to donated blood. but everybody knowing am from nigeria. we started reading the rules and term when i saw nigeria cant i just throway that nonsense unfortunately one white girl saw am. come say thats so sad. i was pissed men
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by princeonx: 8:56pm On Jul 19, 2006
Ol'boy that name Nigeria never click for your head Oh! maybe you go understand more if they call am Naija! Trust me with the kind of things happening in that country, I no go suprise if sick person die just from hearing that name Nigeria not to talk of you giving/donating blood for am! take heart Bros! no be your fault na your mother-land abi na father land they call am!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by princeonx: 8:59pm On Jul 19, 2006
But wait Oh! come to think of it! if they no want my blood, no be me gain pass so? meeeeen una wey dey even go there na una go find their trouble! I hope they use cain next time you go there! na your corrupted blood you wan go donate grin!
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by my2cents(m): 9:10pm On Jul 19, 2006
yeah guys,

I think it has to do with the fact that (please note: I am not in support of the policy myself) certain "things" in our blood - malaria parasite/potential of there to be malaria parasite, hepatitis A virus, etc. Someone in the health industry, pls feel free to help me out smiley

Bottomline, its insulting. Wanna know whatz even worse, at least to me? How about wen my Dad got here, I took him to get a driver's license. Naturally, he drove in Nigeria and all we expected to was to turn in his Nigerian license and get the Georgia version. We were told the DMV doesnt honor Nigerian Driver's licenses, yet they honor licenses from Niger Republic, Benin and Togo shocked shocked shocked shocked

Na wa o! Wetin we do dis oyibo sef? undecided
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by luvlymoi(f): 9:54pm On Jul 19, 2006
well sha, i dont knw the experience u guys had but i ve donated blood before in school and they didnt care if i was nigerian at all. all they wanted was my blood o well, the reason for them not allowin nigerians to donate is becos of malaria in our blood. dont be upset its not ur fault.
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by gigitte(f): 10:21pm On Jul 19, 2006
do NOT deceive yourselves, its not about malaria

do you get malaria from having sex with other ppl?
are there only five countries in africa or in the world suffering from malaria?
india nko?

shio! racist baggers lol
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by hotangel2(f): 10:30pm On Jul 19, 2006
fabian:

hehehehe! i tire oh! grin grin

Whoaaaa MRS FABIAN. This is you? Long time no talk. Hey ma. How's baby and hubby?

---

U know i don't really blame them for saying Nigerian can't donate blood. We have malaria (which is considered 'deadly' in this country). U know in Nigeria, u just use antibiotics and u r fine. But here, it's LIKE God is about to jump down.

Apart from malaria, we have 419 in our blood. (forgive me, but ermmm, u know?).
Re: Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? by Txlonghorn(m): 2:25am On Jul 20, 2006
For anyone who thinks this is a joke. The next time a Redcross bus comes to your job or you go to your local YMCA to donate blood ask for one of there disclaimer forms and read through the whole thing.

I know the last thing the American Government needs is the spread of malaria, but if Nigerian blood is not good enough for them why are the excepting blood from ppl from East African Countries like Uganda, Congo where malaria is worst.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Research Opens The Door To 'functional Cure' For HIV / Copied. Wif Was Tested HIV Positive While I Was Negative. How Possible Is This ? / Lagos State Begins Mass Fumigation Of Public Places Against LASSA Fever (list)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.