Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

Understanding The African Man In Diaspora - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Understanding The African Man In Diaspora (5544 Views)

Emasculation Of The African Man / Why Do Men And Women In Diaspora Come To Naija To Marry / Tips To Keeping A Good African Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 7:31am On Sep 19, 2008
This is a very long article but insightful. . . Understanding an African man through the eyes of an African man. After reading this, I almost feel sorry for them. . . almost.

THE AFRICAN MAN IN DIASPORA

By William Femi Awodele

While in Perth, Australia this past weekend two people (men) ask for my opinion about African men killing their wives in America and what is it that I am personally doing about it based on my writings and expertise in this area?

Domestic homicide is not peculiar to Nigerians or Africans in Diaspora alone, I've heard of men killing their wives and then lying on the funeral pamphlet that she died after a brief illness in Africa (especially Nigeria). In America, the number six reason women die is from domestic abuse and the number one reason for physical harm to a woman is domestic abuse. Having said these statistics, the death of three African women in the hands of their African husbands within a year is one too many (those are the reported ones).

In five years of ministry and counseling, I have been accused of favoring men and I've also been accused of favoring women, I tend to call it the way I believe it is based on biblical principles. Men generally or worst still African men would always get more knock than the woman for many reasons. First, as the head of the home the buck should stop with the leader, secondly, the leader also bears responsibility for the things done under his watch, and thirdly the African man particularly gets more hit because of his tendencies based on his experiences while growing up in Africa.

The average African man in Diaspora is actually a good person, he loves his children, works hard to bring in money, he loves education, he is proud, he loves his wife but shows it differently, I know this because I have seen these average African Man all over North America, in Europe, in Africa and in Australia.

For this article I'll like to categorize the African Man in Diaspora into four types:

1)The highly educated older generation (immigrants) - many of them came to America in the 1960s/1970s/1980s they returned home (Africa) to high positions but they started coming back to America and Europe when corruption and bad leadership brought many African countries economies to it's knees. Many never left because their dream of education was not realized, so they are not as educated or as highly placed as their counterparts that went back home and came back.

2) The Children (first generation) - many of the children of the immigrants Africans returned with their parents in the 1980s/1990s and are now parents themselves. The boys married the girl-friends and the girls married the boy-friends they met while going to college in Africa (this is my category). They are educated as well, along with their spouses and today many of them occupy highly placed positions in corporate America and in every industry.

3) The 1990s saw the American, European and other industrialized countries, allowing skilled workers to come and work in their countries. America called its own visa lottery, Australia and Canada call theirs "skilled workers program" and I know that Ireland had a similar program for a while. So many are of these men have at least a first degree.

4) There are those who came in illegally, usually with a visitor's visa and never went back and are operating under the radar doing menial jobs below whatever status they had before leaving Africa.

What connects and distinguishes all these categories of African men in terms of their view of marriage are their level of education and age (directly related to how much of the African culture was ingrained in them) when they left Africa. Let's see what was ingrained in a typical African Man.

The African Man's view of Marriage

The woman is not equal to the man - the man leads without consultations with his wife, her opinions are not needed.

The in-equality of how African men view their wives lead to the woman being beaten. In America it is called physically abuse, in Africa she is being put in her place so she can know who runs the house. It is not uncommon for some men to have special "belt" to "discipline" their wives and children.

Due to Dowry or Bride Price - the African woman is seen as a property, the severity of this depends on the tribe in Africa. This is often displayed at the death of the man, my people (Yorubas) would usually give a woman to the brother of the dead (I had an uncle who accepted his brother's wife, only to die himself within a year), and the Ibos (my other people by marriage) in Eastern Nigeria would usually take all the property of the dead man and live the woman with little or nothing of the properties the couple acquire together (I know the case of an Mbaise couple just two years ago).

Polygamy or adultery in whatever shape is accepted - While my grandpa had 10 wives and they all knew each other, the men of my dads generation, kept (or still keep) the other woman at another location. Many times the other family show up at the man's funeral or the larger family call a meeting to introduce the "baby" wife and her children to the one at home (Iyale). It is not uncommon for African women to accept their husbands open adultery as long as he is taking care of them (taking care of is a relative term).

Public show of affection or display of emotion is absolutely frowned at - The man cannot show affection to his wife, he risk being called a "woman wrapper" or the superstitious ones would say the wife has washed her "private part" in the man's stew (soup) to arrest his love. Many men want to show affection, but they stay away in order not to be called names. Some brave men actually show affection, but the wife that gets most of the husbands affection always get the brunt of being the favorite from the other wives in a polygamous home.

Money is used as a dominant factor or tool of control in a typical African home - the man would usually make more money and the wife(s) and children are at the mercy of the man for food money and school fees.

Most men in Africa see their job as bringing home the bacon and nothing more and it is the wives job to cook food and raise the children, whatever that entails. In twenty-six years of living in Nigeria, I did not know one family that had a joint account and for those that I have encountered at conferences whose parent had joint account, it is usually their mom giving her pay-check to the dad without asking any questions and him doing whatever he wants with the money, no budgeting or mutual planning.

An African man would have problem with the woman making more money than him because he believes a part of his manhood has been taking away. A Sudanese man (refugee) in my city resigned his job because his wife made more net income than him when they got their first pay-check in America (they worked in the same factory).

The extended family is more important than the wife to an African man - an African man would listen and do what the Dad or Mom wants before listening to his wife's opinion. In His head when making decisions, the extended family comes before his nuclear family; his wife would always take care of the children.

An African man that has spent at least 20 formative years in Africa would have most of the above traits ingrained in him because that is what he saw and in most cases taught growing up (Se bi Okunrin - behave like a man), if that man is educated he probably won't boast about it but would still show it in his behavior, indicating that exposure to education is not the solution to this line of thinking.

When the African man and his wife relocate to a western country, he then faces a new set of culture that in many ways contradicts what he grew up with and his attitude to his new challenges determines his relationship with his wife, children and success in his new environment.

Challenges to the African Man's view of Marriage in a Western country

All over the western world, women are called equal to men, the women's liberation organization in many western countries are even advocating women not marry because they don't need men. There are many programs geared toward the women, even visas for battered women brought into a western country and abused by their husband and held ransom because of documentations.

Many African men (I have met a few) who have problems with the concept that men and women are equal or that they are leader among equal. The older generation (immigrants), the skilled workers and visa lottery winners would probably never see their wives as equal, while the kids are a little better when it comes to understanding the equality or men and women.

The African man's wife wants her husband to show public affection like their white neighbor, if he can't kiss me in public at least he can hold my hand. Some of the women even want flower? As far as the African man is concerned such women are now referred to as "Iyawo Ilu Oyinbo (American or European wife)".

Many African men, resist holding our wives in public because we think it is a white man's culture and we point to the excesses we see in public parks.

When purchases are made in western countries, for the most part it needs to be done in the name of the couple because of the credit system (non existent in Africa), family income and credit history is critical to secure a loan. Because things have to be done together, a typical African man hates the fact that he now has to consult with his wife to make purchases something he never did in Africa.

I know many African men who still boast that their wives would never know how much they earn. Some are even of the opinion that they don't need the wife's money, yet they groan under the weight of bills monthly.

Knowing that polygamy is illegal, many African men are engaged in adulterous relationship all over the place, this is common among the older generation. The young desperate for husband, college and working class girls are the culprit or victims as the case might be. This unholy act is more common among those active in the "owambe" party scene, but it does exist also in the church.

While physical abuse is illegal, the law is not enforced in many African countries, however many state laws in America clearly states that someone would go to jail if the police are called for domestic violence. I have also found that the African man definition of physical abuse is different from what obtains in western countries. Africans regularly slap their wives or yell at them, meanwhile if you as much as touch your light skinned wife and live a red scar on her, you'll go to jail without collecting 200, I hear many African men say to me "I was only trying to get my cell phone from her"

When many African men lose their dominance because the wife makes more money, they resort to stupid things to try and be the leader. Which include abuse (emotionally and physically). I know a husband who would not go to the kitchen to make food for himself and the children, he'll rather wait till the wife gets back at 6.00pm to eat and then he'll want sex later? On further inquiry, his action was purely based on messed up strategy to maintain dominance.

The prevalent African culture as it relates to marriage need to be reviewed not because we are in 2006 or times have changed but because the value system of God has never changed in thousands of year. In the same way America and especially England need to return to Judeo-Christian values that sustained them for many years.

Jesus warned us of traditions when in Mark 7: 8 he said "You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men" verse 13 "thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down"

Biblical Principles and African Culture

Men and women are equal before God, but the man is the head of the home. The leadership should be like Christ demonstrated which is Servant Leadership. A servant leader does not force people to follow him, he earns their respect, and many times Jesus asks his disciples if they wanted to leave him, but they choose to stay because they believe in him.

A godly husband would not beat the wife to submission, he would he treat her with disrespect, he would not give her silent treatment and other stupid things human mind can think off, just to maintain his leadership.

The Bible never told the woman to obey the husband, like it did children and servant, women are told to submit, honor and respect. I have written many articles on what I believe this means practically, it means deferring your opinion to what your husband want while praying that he makes the right and Godly choice.

This is why it is critical to marry a godly man to set a godly foundation for your marriage. Godly marriages will have problems, but they both have the scripture as a guiding tool, this is what separates a heathen from a man who loves God wholeheartedly.

Showing affection to ones wife is not a white man's invention, women wanting affection and emotional intimacy is because she came to America or London, it is because Estrogen flows in her system and that she uses more of her right hemisphere which makes her an emotional creation. African women have the same body system like Europeans or American women. Read Hosea 2: 14-16, Songs of Solomon 5.

Showing affection to your mate helps maintain your marriage. I don't think our forefathers will rise from the dead if we hold our wife's hand when going for a walk. I still find it difficult to hold my wife in public especially in church, but God is helping me, especially when I know that women like ownership, they want people around to know that you are their husband (except they are not proud of you). Even God identified with Jesus (Luke 3: 22).

Sharing with one's wife or asking for her opinion does not make you a woman wrapper; it makes you a wise person. Men and women were made to reason differently and God in His infinite wisdom decided they should be together, so that when one thinks analytically the other thinks emotionally, so that better decisions are made.

A smart man solicits his wife's opinion, and weighs it against what he thinks. He then takes his option to the Lord in prayer. When your godly wife sees this pattern of decision making in your life - I can assure you, she'll submit to your leadership.

Becoming a godly husband

Change they say is necessary but as we all know is difficult. I'm not advocating becoming a western cultured man, far be it (that is a new set of problem in itself), but becoming that man after God's heart.

The biggest obstacle to change is accepting that what you've been doing is not working. Many African men in Diaspora need to accept that they have been influenced greatly by the existing African culture, each person then need to identify areas that they need to work on. In my 14 years of marriage to Ola, we have both adjusted but because this is addressing the man, I'll tell you my own adjustment. I now see "respect" differently my definition of respect when I was in Nigeria and my definition now is different. For the first four years of marriage I thought my wife's idea were foreign and never listened to her for a day, now I can't make a decision without asking for her opinion, even if I end up doing what I had thought about.

Holding my wife in public was a no-no before now, but I'm gradually changing. Instead of trying to make my wife fit the mode of my ideal African woman (cook my native meal, kneel down, take of the children etc), I have accepted her for who she is while focusing on her good side rather than hammering the areas she is working on. I have discovered that as the Bible says love does covers a multitude of sin, loving my wife unconditionally (no matter what my feelings are) have paid great dividend in my marriage.

Many older generation African men abuse their wives physically, but the wives cannot say anything to anyone because her husband is the African community leader where they are, so she and the kids are holding on to secrets. This type of abuse is based primarily more on maintaining leadership. Many in the skilled labor or visa lottery husband category also maintain leadership through physical abuse. Physical abuse among the first generation is few and far between because many of them did not spend formative years in the African culture, those who abuse their spouse probably saw their dad beat their mom.

The most dangerous African man (profile for homicide) can fall into any of the four categories but more than likely, he came to America to read but never finished his schooling perhaps just his bachelors, he has a low self-esteem and works in a low end job. He decides to marry from his country and chooses a beautiful and ambitious lady (who would take the risk of marrying someone whose status could be fake just to get to America). The woman gets here and soon finishes her school with the man paying, and pretty soon she makes more money and footing many bills at home.

For years she is indebted to him and stays in the abuse, he is particularly jealous because he sees his wife as a cash cow and sex machine. With no change for years, she decides enough is enough and kick him out or move out herself. He is devastated and has no where to go, his meager salary is confisticated by Uncle Sam, who deducts child support before he gets the left over.

This man who has no fear of God, even though he might attend a church, plots to get even with the wife for making his life miserable, he thinks she is ungrateful for him bringing her to America - if his will is strong enough he carries out his revengeful act like the two men in Texas and the one in Virginia.

Since 2003, I have conducted about 10 Peculiar Conflict Conferences worldwide, to address all the topics I raised above, but the attendance to say the least were not encouraging. I charged initially, and then I did it for free. My pastor friends gave me their facilities for free and Nigeriaworld publisher gave free publicity (among other support).

We need as a group of people to discuss this topic not just in church forum but in academic or social forum (especially the cultural associations); I have written to the heads of the Nigerian lawyers and ANPA to partner with me and get this message out and got no reply.

We need to take our marriage seriously (and imbibe the culture of maintenance) and recognize that we have a problem that need to be addressed, rather than keep fire on the roof and go to sleep pretending there is no problem. It is a matter of time before we hear of the next case, are we going to be sorry for the woman then or are going to do something now? My dear African woman, please don't feel guilty about calling the police on a husband who has made you a punching bag, in-fact feel free to tell your husband that Femi Awodele said, the next time he touches you, you'll call the police and file charges.

If you know an African man struggling with low-self esteem, jealousy and constantly harasses his wife who makes more money, may I recommend my book "Peculiar Conflict - African Marriages in Western Culture"

Remain Blessed.

[I]William Femi Awodele is the Executive Director of Christian Couples Fellowship International, Inc a marriage ministry based out of Omaha, Nebraska.[/I]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 1:24pm On Sep 19, 2008
LMAO! I was expecting responses from the guys browbeating SIMI on the other thread. Awww, wasamatter? Now that it is your fellow man. . . "someone Your own size doing the talking" you are backing off. Not surprising, it is easier to pick on a woman, no? Gotcha  wink  cheesy
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 1:59pm On Sep 19, 2008
Waiting for Johnny Be Good oh! Doesn't he know how ungentlemany it is to keep a lady waiting? LMAO! ooops. . . for a sec there I forgot who I was talking about. I guess I will just find other ways to amuse myself until he comes. . .

I love this part of the article

The biggest obstacle to change is accepting that what you've been doing is not working. Many African men in Diaspora need to accept that they have been influenced greatly by the existing African culture, each person then need to identify areas that they need to work on. In my 14 years of marriage to Ola, we have both adjusted but because this is addressing the man, I'll tell you my own adjustment. I now see "respect" differently my definition of respect when I was in Nigeria and my definition now is different. For the first four years of marriage I thought my wife's idea were foreign and never listened to her for a day, now I can't make a decision without asking for her opinion, even if I end up doing what I had thought about.

God Bless men, who have a proper head on their shoulders. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2008
More excerpt from the article from the article written by AN AFRICAN MAN, not a woman, not a non-African oh. . .  AN AFRICAN. . .  NIGERIAN MAN.

I have also found that the African man definition of physical abuse is different from what obtains in western countries. Africans regularly slap their wives or yell at them, meanwhile if you as much as touch your light skinned wife and live a red scar on her, you'll go to jail without collecting 200, I hear many African men say to me "I was only trying to get my cell phone from her"

For all those men who are quick to quote the Bible, a little understand on what you are quoting,…

Men and women are equal before God, but the man is the head of the home. The leadership should be like Christ demonstrated which is Servant Leadership. A servant leader does not force people to follow him, he earns their respect, and many times Jesus asks his disciples if they wanted to leave him, but they choose to stay because they believe in him.

A godly husband would not beat the wife to submission, he would he treat her with disrespect, he would not give her silent treatment and other stupid things human mind can think off, just to maintain his leadership.

The Bible never told the woman to obey the husband, like it did children and servant, women are told to submit, honor and respect. I have written many articles on what I believe this means practically, it means deferring your opinion to what your husband want while praying that he makes the right and Godly choice.

From the above, they didn't say women can’t have an Opinion, so stop trying to shut them up.
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by SimiBrasil(f): 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2008
LMAO! I was expecting responses from the guys browbeating SIMI on the other thread. Awww, wasamatter? Now that it is your fellow man. . . "someone Your own size doing the talking" you are backing off. Not surprising, it is easier to pick on a woman, no? Gotcha

Laughing a lot !
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by JustGood(m): 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2008
This is nothing but stupidity. The man is abroad and has changed his ways to suit the society in which he lives. So some women looking for men to browbeat now think that every Nigerian man in Nigeria has to be that way.

And what makes his own experience more authoritative than what other people's experiences are? I cant believe that we are now expected to take a man view and expose as fact; and this coming from a woman who is searching for a man to control? If you want to control men, at least show that you have enough intelligence to do so!
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by JustGood(m): 3:56pm On Sep 19, 2008
This site will definitely be of help.
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 19, 2008
Errhhmm @ justgood, this man's not lying. This is not a matter of the writer being influenced with "Western ideas" but one of truth. Please leave your urban sentimentalities and try to just take a look into the rural lives of Nigerians and check what most families go through because of dogmatic dictators.
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 19, 2008
Sisikill:

LMAO! I was expecting responses from the guys browbeating SIMI on the other thread. Awww, wasamatter? Now that it is your fellow man. . . "someone Your own size doing the talking" you are backing off. Not surprising, it is easier to pick on a woman, no? Gotcha wink cheesy

Could it be because the opinion piece is as long as from here to Jericho?
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by RichyBlacK(m): 9:27pm On Sep 19, 2008
The angry women crowd? grin I hope not. They want to change our family values to those of the West; the failed system of the West where women use the threat of divorce to beat weak Western men into submission or take them to divorce courts to cart away with their property. No wonder some Western men have seen the light and refusing to get married to these nasty women or prefer to go abroad and get a more stable woman from Asia, South America or Africa.

I have no problems whatsoever with challenging the status quo, but I expect it to be done with some sense. Our culture and heritage, though fraught with many faults, is still ahead of the curve of whatever you can describe as Western culture.

In our culture, a woman has clearly defined roles as wife, as mother and as in-law. The man also has his roles as husband, father and in-law. The confusion of these roles is at the root of the failure of the oldest institution in many Western nations.

According to our culture, the man is the head of the household. Even Western religions like Christianity and Judaism, though newer than our culture (African culture is as old as man - after all humans emerged first from Africa - Eden? In Africa!), have upheld that view. When it comes to marriage, the woman can exercise her power of choice! To chose a worthy leader of her future household!
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 19, 2008
davidylan:

Could it be because the opinion piece is as long as from here to Jericho?

Don't tell me you didn't read it? cheesy
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by TheSly: 11:36pm On Sep 19, 2008
stillwater:

Don't tell me you didn't read it? cheesy
Ewooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Oh Lord of Okokomaiko!! shocked

Who has the time? cheesy
These are something one would read. . . . . . .and then Go on vacation.
Then come back to read again and then get married. . . . . .then Read during honeymoon, and so on!

He nor easy! cheesy
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by bawomolo(m): 2:51am On Sep 20, 2008
not a bad article, some points seem stretched.

Holding my wife in public was a no-no before now, but I'm gradually changing. Instead of trying to make my wife fit the mode of my ideal African woman (cook my native meal, kneel down, take of the children etc), I have accepted her for who she is while focusing on her good side rather than hammering the areas she is working on. I have discovered that as the Bible says love does covers a multitude of sin, loving my wife unconditionally (no matter what my feelings are) have paid great dividend in my marriage.

i don't see the hoopla over public display of affection, it's just not part of nigerian culture. people should be allowed to express their love differently. the only flowers my wife is getting is a bag of efo and ewedu cheesy
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 2:59am On Sep 20, 2008
You didn't read it? Awww guys,  you disappoint me. .  . you know what, I'm actually not surprised, you men have the tendency to tune your ears away from things you don't hear. *sigh*

RichyBlacK:

The angry women crowd? grin I hope not. They want to change our family values to those of the West; the failed system of the West where women use the threat of divorce to beat weak Western men into submission or take them to divorce courts to cart away with their property. No wonder some Western men have seen the light and refusing to get married to these nasty women or prefer to go abroad and get a more stable woman from Asia, South America or Africa.

I have no problems whatsoever with challenging the status quo, but I expect it to be done with some sense. Our culture and heritage, though fraught with many faults, is still ahead of the curve of whatever you can describe as Western culture.

In our culture, a woman has clearly defined roles as wife, as mother and as in-law. The man also has his roles as husband, father and in-law. The confusion of these roles is at the root of the failure of the oldest institution in many Western nations.

According to our culture, the man is the head of the household. Even Western religions like Christianity and Judaism, though newer than our culture (African culture is as old as man - after all humans emerged first from Africa - Eden? In Africa!), have upheld that view. When it comes to marriage, the woman can exercise her power of choice! To chose a worthy leader of her future household!

First, Lmao@ the angry women crowd. . . cute. Secondly, how or how can it be made clear that women don't want to be the head, that we appreciate the traditional roles and would gladly submit to it IF the men didn't rule with a heavy hand? When a woman submits, it doesn't mean she is beneath you, it doesn't mean her opinion shouldn't count. . . majority of the time, women are forced to prove they also have a mind if they keep getting shut down in a "oh don't worry your pretty li'l head over this, now go to the kitchen and make me a sammich" manner. Just making an effort to show you value her opinion is enough. Finally, a Pastor wrote that article.

@ JustGood
You sadden me, Honestly jokes apart. . . I'm kinda feeling sorry for you man! How awfully uncomfortable it must be you. My goodness I have never met a man so terrified of losing his manhood, a woman breathing out loud, has him clutching on it for his dear life. Don't worry okay,  just relax yourself. . . you have a wife now and she kowtow to your every demand, right? Hmm, so don't worry about the men who are confident in themselves to know no matter what a woman does, they are and will always be the MAN.

Different stroke for different folks. . . yeah, that's right go ahead and release that breath.  grin grin
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Nobody: 3:08am On Sep 20, 2008
the dear pastor (God bless his soul) has said nothing new. If a man (african or asian) loves his wife like the bible tells him to they are assured of a blissful marriage without having to read all these meaningless salesmanship attempts masquerading as self-help books.
Problem is too many women are worrying about men changing their attitudes and failing to correct theirs.
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 3:18am On Sep 20, 2008
bawomolo:

not a bad article, some points seem stretched.  

i don't see the hoopla over public display of affection, it's just not part of nigerian culture.  people should be allowed to express their love differently.  the only flowers my wife is getting is a bag of efo and ewedu  cheesy

Lmao! I was going to pepper my post with shock and add a little "Oh my God, an open minded man on Nairaland" drama to it but after thinking for 30 secs about it, It really isn't that surprising you get.

No doubt some parts are stretched,  What I was hoping the article will put across is this -  it is possible for a man to be open minded, too ease up on the I am the Man, therefore I am your god" mentality and still be in control. It's so funny, that it seems guys of our generation are more closed minded than our parents. . . at least from what I've observed.  undecided

Re: Flowers
Honestly . . there are but a handful of Naija women who swoon over flowers. For me, it's like. . . okay, do I have to wait until it wilts or until my nostrils park up before I throw 'em out?
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Sisikill: 3:32am On Sep 20, 2008
Sorry guys, I couldn't get the cliff notes version. . . I tried, I promise you I did. tongue

Traditional African values & societal decay in Nigeria

By Henry Chukwuemeka Onyeama

Over the years (at least since the 1970s), it has become fashionable among social commentators to lament the decline, if not erosion, of traditional African values in modern Nigerian society, particularly among the youth. The widespread notion is that this situation is largely responsible for the social malaise plaguing our society. Thus a return to these "positive" values will commence the detoxification of our diseased social climate.

Are they correct? Given that the so-called traditional values are, in themselves, double-faced Janus this question is necessary. What you see is not always what you get and our hypocrisy will debar us from telling ourselves the truth.

First, what do these pundits really mean when they mouth the phrase "traditional African values"? Definition of terms is necessary if we are to avoid being muddle-headed. Honesty, hospitality, kindness, concern for family, etc. are by no stretch of the imagination exclusive to Africans. So what is so special we have lost and must regain for our society to move forward? Nigeria, let alone other African countries, is a tangled web of nationalities with different cultures and world-views. I am Igbo and it is not a positive value for me to allow anyone dictate to me or ride roughshod over me just because he or she is of royal blood. Another Nigerian from another cultural milieu might see things differently.

The clamour for positive African values by some self-appointed sentinels of our society is coloured by a romantic view of pre-colonial Africa (narrow it down to Nigeria). To these sentinels, the coming of the white man disoriented a glorious system of values embedded in rich tradition and custom. Maybe they have a point. But the coin has another side: our fathers killed twins in certain places; had caste systems in others; occasionally ate strangers and travellers in their domain; treated women like dung in some societies; and practised what we euphemistically label African Science. Nudity or near-nudity (which these traditional African cultural advocates blame on foreign importations like Big Brother Africa) was (and still is) a way of life in some of our
"glorious" cultural settings.

Truly, the coming of the Europeans, to paraphrase Obierika, a character in Things Fall Apart "put a knife through the things that held us together and we fell apart" But no civilization stands forever, and why could our "great" value systems not withstand the "oyibo" onslaught?         

The bottom-line of the current sad pass in our society lies in the following:

Generational conflict has always existed, but many Nigerians, especially elderly ones, dislike this fact. Those who bemoan contemporary "vices" like fashion styles, love for American music, easy sex before marriage, and the dubious romance with the internet had their own vices 30-50 years ago. Some of them eventually became worthy adults; some did not. Many of these pundits bestride our public life like the colossus. See the good they have done for Nigeria with their lifestyles of traditional African values.

These traditional values are at times foundations for our contemporary woes. One example: traditionally (at least in many pre-colonial Nigerian societies) the Big Man" syndrome was supreme. The "Big Man" was powerful, rich and famous. He had all the titles. He appropriated the choicest of lands and the juiciest of women. True, there were correspondingly high standards expected of the "Big Man" but he was the lord, and the ultimate aspiration was to be like him or be in his shadow. Transport this traditional mindset into our contemporary society and you get disdain for the rule of law; ingrained belief by certain people that they are born to rule; treating of the national patrimony as a private estate, just to mention a few. The oil of foreign religion, education, commerce and government only greased the evil inherent in the "Big Man" syndrome. Go to our villages during the festive season and see how we worship the newest "Big Man" irrespective of his source of wealth.

The way most Nigerian men perceive women and even most Nigerian women see themselves in this age of Microsoft is rooted in our traditional values. Disparaging of the female folk is not solely Africans even those who gave us Christianity and Islam twisted the words of Jesus Christ and Prophet Muhammed to suit their prejudices and records of the feats of Nigerian women in history are well known. However, many of the traditional values about men & women roles/places in the society, which we have carried into our time are, underlined by these assumptions:

[b]The man is the lord and master, even when he does not deserve to wear the pants of authority; Women should take anything from men in a spirit of humility; Marriage defines a woman's status; Childbearing is a woman's central vocation; Customs and traditions must hem a woman in because she is potentially bad. There are many others.

Any wonder many Nigerian men are not at ease with the likes of Chimamanda Adichie, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Lara West, Ofunneka etc. who repudiate these values. Our conformism is rooted in a traditional mindset, which dared not break out of line, even if doing so will bring positive societal transformation. Who dared question the oracle's pronouncement back then? Even when they knew the decision was made by rapacious priests of an unjust idol? The elders spoke, the youths obeyed, case closed. Deviants got harsh desserts. Any difference in our times when people like Shehu Sani, Gani Fawehinmi and Ralph Uwazuruike are heralded to Golgotha because they dared have conviction? Conformism rooted in mindless religion and custom still hold us from breaking the shackles of oppression, and changing our destiny. Our copying of  "oyibo" ways does not extend to the dare to question the wisdom and shackles of the ages.
[/b]

Hypocritical cover-ups and hang-ups about sex and sexuality that afflict many Nigerians are embedded in a culture, which denies that what a man and a woman do behind closed doors is an integral part of life. Why must a titled man who would not hesitate to mount her under the cover of night declare a menstruating woman unclean?

These are a few of the realities we like to lock away in our cupboards. But moral realignment is only achieved by staring honestly into reality's eyes. That we are now part of a global hamlet only expands the frontier of challenges and conflicts. Contemporary Nigerians are a hybrid, despite our black skin. We are the products of several influences. Harping back to the antediluvian ways of our fathers will not solve our societal problems. The earlier we start seeking the good in all these values, the better for us as a society. Unfortunately the thieves in high places who man our posts of power are too engrossed in their debauchery to think of such higher values.

[size=16pt]*Henry Chukwuemeka Onyeama is a Lagos (Nigeria) based writer and teacher.[/size]
Guess this one too is also conforming to the society he is living in, eh?

Oh sweet, sweet Henry, you had me at. . .  Harping back to the antediluvian ways of our fathers will not solve our societal problems kiss
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by birdman(m): 6:27am On Sep 21, 2008
*shakes head*. As soon as you start to generalise anything, you stop making sense. His 4 categories of the african male in America do not fit me, or 90% of other african males I know.

[b]FOR THE LADIES: [/b]if you keep meeting misogynistic men everytime you date an African, consider that the problem may be with you. There are lots of good level headed men out there, but somehow, you alwys end up with the   lipsrsealed. Look in the mirror
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 21, 2008
Women rock!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by bukatyne(f): 4:23pm On Apr 17, 2016
Interesting read.

Any thoughts peeps?

Back to resurrecting ghost threads.
Re: Understanding The African Man In Diaspora by itstpia8: 1:39am On Apr 19, 2016
The list needs to be updated since there are many types of visas and various waves of immigration besides or since the diversity lottery programme.

(1) (Reply)

She Went On A Journey, Now She's Back, I Can't Satisfy Her Sexually Again. / My Sister That Cancelled Her Wedding(The Update) / Eye Service, Advice From An Older Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.