Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? (16636 Views)

International Scholarships For African Students In Sweden! / Tuition Fees Delayed In Sweden Till 2011. So Act Fast / Study In Sweden Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Ashiwaju(m): 9:39pm On Jul 08, 2006
azorjiu: For those that can afford it, why not consider studying in Sweden? Facilities are state-of-the art and the standard is superb. I did my M.Sc in Sweden without paying a dime. In fact in my University, we were allowed to make prints, copies, fax and scan free. During exhibitions, you can get enough writing materials to take you for your entire study period. You can pick books free- books that would be in reserve section in Nigerian Universities.

Another good thing is that residence permit decisions are made in Sweden (Linköping) and not in aAbuja Nobody can influence the decision, not even the ambassador in Abuja Once you merit it, you get it. The only problem is that you will take care of your accommodation and feeding. Jobs are scarce, but with effort, you will secure something.

Whats the name of the school in sweden and why would sweden be better when English is not the first language or should i say the official language

1 Like

Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by azorjiu(m): 9:56pm On Jul 08, 2006
@ashiwaju,

Some courses have english as the medium of instruction in Sweden. However, if you wish to study medicine or other competitive courses, you will be required to study and pass Swedish language for one year. Swedes are great in English. 85% of Swedes speak good english. I studied Chemistry in Nigeria, at undergrad level, but when I got there, I discovered we are no where. We don't have simple functional laboratory instruments in Nigeria. No reagents!

All Univerisites in Sweden are opening up to international students. But there is a possibility that tuition fee might be introduced soon, just as they did in Denmark recently. So hurry now!!!
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by azorjiu(m): 9:57pm On Jul 08, 2006
the univ is http://www.umu.se/umu/index_eng.html, but there are several good universities in sweden.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Ashiwaju(m): 10:05pm On Jul 08, 2006
aiight!
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by kolahinmi(m): 10:42am On Jul 10, 2006
@aziroju,
pls can u send the address for swedish universities that does postgraduate study in civil engineering.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Ashiwaju(m): 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2006
You can see the Web address on previous post, explore and i sure know you ll find things that intrests you on it!

I see some thread making:::its all good anyways wink
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by kelvin200(m): 1:01pm On Jul 17, 2006
thnk so much for this post. i have been looking for info on this. but am a fresh student. just left seconday school. is there any hope for me since i can see it in their info. pls fill me.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by adelinks(m): 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2006
i have been gathering materials on sweden for some time.but i need to sreak to persons who have been there.is there any hope for nigeria students with a 2.2.now how can i get a job.cause i am interested in a work study arrangement.any body who can help hola back plz
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by azorjiu(m): 11:02pm On Jul 21, 2006
Most Nigerians find it hard to believe when we tell them how easy it is to study in Sweden. You  don't give anybody a dime for tuition fee, but you must provide for your accommodation and living expenses. You don't have to go through any agency to apply for admission or visa. All you have to do is to complete the institution's online forms, or a hard copy of the application forms. Decisions are made based on the pre-requisite to the programmes you wish to study. Once you meet the requirement, jump up, you are already in Sweden. 

As soon of you get your admission letter, proceed to the Swedish embassy in asokoro, Abuja with 2 set of photocopies of all your results and the completed visa application form (on http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp). Many people are rejected based on financial statement. You have to prove that you will have access to about 68,000. 00 Swedish kronor (one Swedish kronor = about 18 naira) for 10 months in a year. You don't pay for accommodation during the 2 months summer holiday. Sweden is such a beautiful country.

There are many Nigerians presently studying in Sweden, especially in Uppsala, Malmo and Linköping universities. Umea University offers so many Business Masters programmes suitable for graduates of social sciences.

Undergraduate courses are limited, but Umeå University, Darlana university and a few others offer programmes like international business programme. However, if you want to study other programmes at the undergraduate level, you will have to write and pass a swSwedishanguage test.

Recently, most universities now insist that students from west Africa submit waec scratch card. The transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institutions. It didn't use to be so until it was discovered that most transcripts and results emanating from Nigerian and Cameroon are fake.

I didn't know anybody when in applied to study in Sweden. I spent nights on the internet, checking out schools,  not scamming. I got my visa without stress and today, I have completed my masters degree in Sweden. Another advantage is that you can easy apply for visas to UK, or USA  for further studies if you have what it takes. I have done same and I'm  presently studying London.

@kolahinmi,
Luleå offers msc in civil and other engengineeringogrammes. follow the link below

http://www.ltu.se/eng/master_prog/master_programmes06.pdf

Getting a job as an international student in Sweden is a bit difficult. Sweden is a welfare country. It's citizens are extensively taken care of. Besides not paying for tuition, every sweSwedishudent recreceives to 6,500 kronor monthly. All EU and exchange students also  receive bursary award of about 2,000 kronor monthly.

In terms of job, it seems students who study in places like Stockholm and Gotherborg fare better. Most students in Malmo work in Denmark as the permit issued to students allow them access to other schengen countries. So as ashiwaju rightly said, why not consider studying in Sweden

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by walcott(m): 12:47am On Jul 22, 2006
i studied architecture and i've been trying to apply for a masters programme to sweedish schools without much luck. can you advise me on what to do because i really want to go there.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by diddy4(m): 2:02am On Jul 22, 2006
one of the places im considering for my masters after my degree in US. yeah, i wann@ travel around the world.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Ehiwere(m): 2:35am On Jul 22, 2006
@azorjiu,I really appreciate ur time taken to explain all about sweden Education.I have always wanted to further my education there too.presently am serving in Nigeria,my barrier has been my transcript.My department has been delaying sending it to the Exams and record.
I have applied since last year December,trying to make the admission that has its deadline Febuary,March.
So what do you advice me do.Cos i know they will soon,if not started already the processing of application for the January admission.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Idekeson(m): 4:38am On Jul 22, 2006
I planning to embark on a survey of Scandinavian women (Sweden and Norway). Those chics can be pretty appealing grin
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by azorjiu(m): 9:36am On Jul 22, 2006
@walcot. Unfortunately, i'm not sure any swedish school offers a masters of architecture in english. I know the royal institute of technology in stockholm offers a 2 years masters programme in architecture, but it is solely in swedish. You may consider applying for architectural lighting design. it's only 60 ECT whereas masters of architecture in the same school is 180 credits. Read about the european credit transfer and accumulative credit system. Follow the link below if you want to apply for the 60 credits course. Application starts next month and end early february for courses starting august next year (confirm pls, i'm not very sure).

http://www.kth.se/eng/education/programmes/master_english/index.html

@ehiwere. Keep the spirit high, and you will achieve whatever you want to. I understand how lousy our institutions can be in terms of sending the transcripts of their students. It is an unfortunate situation. Your transcript is the most important document needed before being admitted to a masters programme. Talk to your department about it. I'm sure they can hurry it up. As I earlier said, the application period is between august and early february for courses starting august/september next year. I wish you luck with your nysc and transcript.

@Idekeson. Nice idea. Include Denmark and Finland in your expedition. Those blond, blue eyed, and slim girls are wonderfully cool grin
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by segedoo(m): 11:39am On Jul 22, 2006
@azorjiu

you r the bomb man. thanx.
can u forward a list of schools offering masters degree in public health?
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Icejay(m): 2:30pm On Jul 22, 2006
In addition,those of u interested in studying for an international Master Degree in International Accounting,International Business,International management,Transport & Logistics,Industrial & Financial Economics etc (ALL ENGLISH TAUGHT COURSES!) in Sweden should check this site www.handels.gu.se/gbs ( School of Business,Econonics & law at Goteborg University,Sweden)

Schooling in FInland is also tuition free.Take advantage of these opportunities.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by azorjiu(m): 3:09pm On Jul 22, 2006
Segedoo,

Carefully study the sites of universities in sweden. You will find enough information regarding programmes offered by the individual universities. Below is the sites for the public health programmes of umea and lund universities.

http://www.umu.se/phmed/epidemi/utbildning/mph.html

http://www.lu.se/o.o.i.s/1471
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Ehiwere(m): 6:24pm On Jul 22, 2006
@azorjiu
Guy Thanks for the Encouragement,its well.God is on my side.Am optimistic its going be on my favour.Thanks once again
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by Christino(m): 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2006
Go to www.findaschool.org

CLick on sweden, to the best of my knowledge most of the masters courses are free but after 2007, you'll start paying.

when you get to a swedish website, click on the In ENglish Icon (usually british flag) to browse the site in English. Good luck.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by chinnybabe(f): 9:31pm On Jul 23, 2006
@ Ashiwaju
Pls could u help me wit info of any skol in sweden dat offers marine engineerin @ undergraduate level.
Hopin 2 hear from you soon.
Cheers.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by asscend: 3:27am On Jul 24, 2006
Ashiwaju, u have paved d way for all the Naija guys to see opportunity to go to Sweden. I've noticed this issue with people living in naija-- they can't do research them selves. They have read all d comments on what sweden has to offer, why not they go and do a private search on it themselves; they'll be amazed at what they will find. They want to be fed. Please guys when u get to Sweden, be good ambassadors. Remember if u make the govt to stop certain free things u have only denied others behind u from benefitting. Others went in front of u; so go clean and leave it open for others behind. , God bless Swden,
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by ladex142(m): 6:05am On Jul 25, 2006
Mr Ashiwaju, what type of visa the person dey on cheesy because i think if you no get permanent resident visa or green card, i think the statement you made that the guy didn't pay a dime to study in any school in Sweden is incorrect undecided.

Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by uzomaeze(m): 11:12am On Jul 26, 2006
ashiwaju thanks man for all the detail you have done well you see, whenever i read the dailies i see adverts where they tell you stuff like study in sweden free i wonder if it is actually free but you would discover the resource person wants you to pay a certain amount of money for that piece of information usually between N15,000 - N45,000 for real but look at you giving all that free , well there is this thing i want to know which you have not remarked is there scholarship or subsidy for thos who have a 2.2 result would like to know thanks
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by dearie(m): 3:37am On Jul 27, 2006
the info is hot! Thanx.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by prashanth: 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2006
Hi

Can anyone advise me if any Swedish university's offer Masters programs in Statistics or Business Admin.

PAUL
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by zebudaya(m): 7:41pm On Jul 29, 2006
I can't find the tuiton and fees webpage on that site
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by babe1(f): 7:00pm On Jul 31, 2006
Ineresting topic, good luck to u guys.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by walechy: 11:02am On Aug 04, 2006
pls am a graduate of ind. chem and i would like to study any of the following courses at post graduate level CHEM.ENG., APPLIED CHEM.,GEOCHEMISTRY. Pls help with name of schools the adds. to apply to and how. you could forward to deeperson2k3@yahoo.co.uk. thanks Asiwasju.
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by goharz: 10:09am On Oct 18, 2006
Can any body help me enrolling management program in swedish universities?
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by DaSlEek(m): 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2006
Hello there. does anyone knw wat documents i'll b nidin to apply to the finish embassy? how much balance mus i av on my bank statement?
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by DaSlEek(m): 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2006
Hello there. does anyone knw wat documents i'll b nidin to apply to the finish embassy? how much balance mus i av on my bank statement?
Re: Why Not Consider Studying In Sweden? by bada1(m): 5:08pm On Jan 11, 2007
Abeg does anybody have any info about studyin 4 Masters in the country?

Also what is the probability of somebody gaining some work experience in the country b4 comin back 2 9ja?

Thanks

B1

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Makes N1.3 Billion In One Week, Suspends 9 CBT Centres Over Illegal Activit / Osun Schools To Reopen On September 21 / UTME: JAMB Arrests Cyber Cafe Operators For Selling Information To Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.