Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? (11541 Views)

Baba Idris Is Dead (Nasarawa United FC Player) / Akwa Ibom State Gov. Throws Massive Party To Celebrate Akwa United FC Victory / Manchester United FC Is Going Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by martin007(m): 6:49pm On Sep 21, 2008
Magpies Set For Nigerian Takeover?
Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is reportedly close to selling the club to a Nigerian consortium who have expressed an interest in buying the club.

If the deal goes through, history will be made as it will be the first African consortium to take over a Premier League team.

The consortium, led by a company called NVA Management, is comprised of a set of wealthy African gentleman, who have so far reportedly offered Ashley £350m for the club.

Ashley has refused this, however, stating that he will only accept a bid of £400m. There was also some interest shown in the club from a Dubai consortium, but this has seemed to have faded as the bid was again to low in Ashley’s opinion.

The CEO of NVA Management has told KickOffNigeria that the Nigerians are now favourites to take over the club.

"All along I have been working hard to get wealthy and football loving Nigerian Entrepreneurs to buy the club since the owner Mike Ashley indicated his willingness to sell the club to the person, people or entrepreneurs that can meet the 400 million pounds selling price of the club," he said.

"Right now I am happy to tell you that well meaning Nigerians have responded and the consortium of Nigerian entrepreneurs has so far contributed 350 million pounds to buy the club but the club boss, Ashley stood his ground that he won't sell the club until the money is raised to the asking price of 400 million pounds.

"So what that means is that we need to raise another 50 or 100 million pounds to shut the door behind the other top Arab companies that are also interested in the club. The Arab companies have also indicated interest and made offer but they haven't met the asking price too."

Nick Turner

Source:http://www.goal.com/it/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=875319
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by bawomolo(m): 8:32pm On Sep 21, 2008
i have mixed views about this. on one end, it's great to see africans making moves globally but why not invest this money to transform the globacom league??
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by martin007(m): 9:53pm On Sep 21, 2008
You should consider that the motive of every business is to make money, you will agree with me that the English League is more profitable.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by A40(m): 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2008
Is that for real? I am not sure Newcastle is worth 400milla that Ashley dude na crook
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by smile4kenn(m): 4:00pm On Sep 22, 2008
If the deal goes through, history will be made as it will be the first African consortium to take over a Premier League team.

The consortium, led by a company called NVA Management, is comprised of a set of wealthy African gentleman, who have so far reportedly offered Ashley £350m for the club.

Ashley has refused this, however, stating that he will only accept a bid of £400m. There was also some interest shown in the club from a Dubai consortium, but this has seemed to have faded as the bid was again to low in Ashley’s opinion.

The CEO of NVA Management has told KickOffNigeria that the Nigerians are now favourites to take over the club.

"All along I have been working hard to get wealthy and football loving Nigerian Entrepreneurs to buy the club since the owner Mike Ashley indicated his willingness to sell the club to the person, people or entrepreneurs that can meet the 400 million pounds selling price of the club," he said.

"Right now I am happy to tell you that well meaning Nigerians have responded and the consortium of Nigerian entrepreneurs has so far contributed 350 million pounds to buy the club but the club boss, Ashley stood his ground that he won't sell the club until the money is raised to the asking price of 400 million pounds.

"So what that means is that we need to raise another 50 or 100 million pounds to shut the door behind the other top Arab companies that are also interested in the club. The Arab companies have also indicated interest and made offer but they haven't met the asking price too."

http://jp.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=875319
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7628607.stm
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by MrCrackles(m): 4:01pm On Sep 22, 2008
I read this earlier today but i am keeping fingers crossed because i am highly skeptical of the move!
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by frenchman(m): 4:52pm On Sep 22, 2008
I hate to sound pessimistic, but is this not another typical nigeria scam.
just thinking aloud.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by tosinadeda: 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2008
Looking for money to buy d club!
Wut hapns wen it is bought? How wil they fund d club?
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by naylove(m): 5:47pm On Sep 22, 2008
it would be a beautiful idea for nigerians to own a premier league club, great prospect for our football. but let them pump that nmoney into our local league and see how much we develop. not a bad idea but i have plenty qualms with the issue so i'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by mukina2: 6:01pm On Sep 22, 2008
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by donchichi: 6:03pm On Sep 22, 2008
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4180861,00.html.

Story just might be true
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by femzy(m): 6:29pm On Sep 22, 2008
I have been reading this subject all over the sports link today.I want to know that Nigerian or set of Nigerians that would pump out 400million pounds.So nigerians get money like this , na thrillions on naira with poverty allover the place, EFCC should come into play ere , lol
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by pak: 6:31pm On Sep 22, 2008
martin007:

You should consider that the motive of every business is to make money, you will agree with me that the English League is more profitable.

It should noted that owning and runnig a premiership team is not a profit making business but its more for prestige.

If you check the records, you'l find that most clubs actually run at a loss. That's why Ashley is selling in the first place,

His philosophy of running a football club as a business does not align with the prsent premiership mentality
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by oloto(m): 6:45pm On Sep 22, 2008
Looking for money to buy d club!
Wut hapns when it is bought? How wil they fund d club?

well, they would beg for it
tongue
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:09pm On Sep 22, 2008
Possible culprits are as follows
Yahoo boys
Government crooks
Not too much to list, seriously are they crazy! Anyway make them do so all of us go turn toon fans smiley
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Johnnoo(m): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2008
good biz. this's african mentality. but i assure u this gonna work. they will fund the club & make big big big money out it. talking about investing in globacom league, guy i bet this guys will lose & lose & lose over & over. in fact dont even think about it. invest ur money where u'll have returns, that's biz!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by WarfyBoy(m): 7:29pm On Sep 22, 2008
I PRAY THIS WORK OUT FOR THEM

I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY THAT A NIGERIAN IS THERE

MAY GOD GRANT THEM WISDOM TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE THE CLUB

NIGERIA IS CERTAINLY A GIAN
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by fyneguy: 7:54pm On Sep 22, 2008
Newcastle? (hiss)

Na Manchester United I wan buy.

load am with naija olympic team players wink smiley
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by bilymuse: 7:56pm On Sep 22, 2008
I PRAY THIS WORK OUT FOR THEM

I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY THAT A NIGERIAN IS THERE

MAY GOD GRANT THEM WISDOM TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE THE CLUB

NIGERIA IS CERTAINLY A GIAN

Amen
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by blackspade(m): 8:04pm On Sep 22, 2008
Why don't these gentlemen invest in helping Naija first, then buy a soccer team?

If £350,000,000 were to be put into a fund to help further develop, they could see that money come back 10-fold.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by KarmaMod(f): 8:07pm On Sep 22, 2008
blackspade:

Why don't these gentlemen invest in helping Naija first, then buy a soccer team?

If £350,000,000 were to be put into a fund to help further develop, they could see that money come back 10-fold.

*nods* embarassed
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by showbobo(m): 8:14pm On Sep 22, 2008
I pity this guys
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by nazzyon(m): 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2008
Imagine, in a country where lots of people are suffering from unemployment, hunger, lack of shelter behind other predicament some sick sons of bitches are planning to buy a club worth about 400m pounds.

I am a big fan of football but it is just insane. Why can't they use that huge 350m pounds or less to buy a firm here in Nigeria and create job opportunities for the Nigerians.

A million pounds which is about 250 million Nigeria naira will change the lives of most Nigerians here.

There are many Nigerian companies that worth even less that 1 million pounds.

It is utter stupidity.

All I feel right now is sorry for most Nigerians residing in this country, myself included.

One of our problems in this country is that we prefer to put our money outside the country than to have them help our people and develop our Nation. e.g The Nigerian Government (Foreign Reserves)

Another good example of these people is a man who tried all his life to be The Governor of his state but was denied the chance to get there but happens to have one the biggest Hospital in Germany. Had it been that, that fool decided manage his hospital in this country; wouldn't that have convinced his people to support him and put him in the office?

We Nigerians are the one's making our people suffer.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Aiyetunje: 9:13pm On Sep 22, 2008
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by agaba123(m): 9:26pm On Sep 22, 2008
No be lie at all

I wish they can get it and prove the world wrong.

We are not only known for scam, we are good people

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1719978.ece
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by SamMilla1(m): 9:28pm On Sep 22, 2008
interesting!!!
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by A40(m): 9:33pm On Sep 22, 2008
Them no see better club buy na Newcastle i sorry for them
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by reindeer: 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2008
i wish they'll just put a tenth of that money into buying a globacom league side, then they'll have a good stadium and become african champions with ease by attracting great players,
once again, the nigerians strike!!
load of tripe! we just hate ourselves,
that money in the economy will do a whole lot especially when its not in govt hands.
nigerians and their quest for status at the expense of practicality,
trash!!
buying a premeirship club while your countrymen wallow in poverty,
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by tosinadeda: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2008
as in 350,000,000,000pounds

87,500,000,000,000 naira shocked shocked
lord av mercy
for this same country??
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by tosinadeda: 9:53pm On Sep 22, 2008
reindeer:

i wish they'll just put a tenth of that money into buying a globacom league side, then they'll have a good stadium and become african champions with ease by attracting great players,
once again, the nigerians strike!!
load of tripe! we just hate ourselves,
that money in the economy will do a whole lot especially when its not in govt hands.
nigerians and their quest for status at the expense of practicality,
trash!!
buying a premeirship club while your countrymen wallow in poverty,

cldnt agree more!!!!
former governor of Abis state Orji kalu spent just 400,000,000 naira on Eyimba nad they won the CAF champions league back to back
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by zaragoza(m): 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2008
@bawomolo
wld u advice someone to invest in a system dat does not work. If na u u go come invest 4 nigerian league which is full of corruption. My dear dis is £350m, it is too big a money to experiment with in d unstable nigerian league. I'd rather invest where i am sure of gettin d value of my money bak.Let's face d truth all those clamouring dat d money shld be invested in our local league wldnt do dsame if dey were in thier shoes.U know its easier said than done.Orji Kalu didn't invest his personal money in enyimba.He was in govt. den & really stands to loose nothin if d investment crumbled.He shld hav as well continued investin now dat he is not in govt. He cant take d risk of investin wit his biz money.stop comparin d 2
@PAX
Ashley is not sellin cos d club is not profitable its just dat he needs money desperately after his £300m stakes/shares in HBO crumbled.
@blackspade
how can u be advisin bizness moguls on how 2 spend thier money.If dey weren't good biz men dey wldn't hav bin in thier current status.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by phoenixy1: 11:58pm On Sep 22, 2008
LOL, Ya'll sooo funey to believe this story! wha!! shocked
£350mila in pounds! With that kind of money why bother to invest at all
Who is the guy who started all this roumor mill anyway?
Hes just looking for mugus to cough out the £50million and then he vamoose!
The whole thing is nothing but an elaborate setup including the news.
It is already a known common ploy to convince prospective mugus by setting up some
news item or website to corrobate their claims and get mugus to fall.
You guys better shine your eyes well well.
I have not seen any such indication in the local papers here.
Its just a load of chiken crap!
Dont get all excited now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Port Harcourt To Host Super Eagles Vs Congo Match As Wike Hosts Pinnick & Rohr / Kylian Mbappe Wins Men's Player Of The Year At 2021 Globe Soccer Awards / Which Country Are You Going To Support In This World Cup 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.