Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? (6594 Views)

Reltel Wireless Internet Service / MTN Wireless Internet For Laptops? / Creating Wireless Internet Hotspots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by kiwibabe(f): 9:41am On Jul 11, 2006
How To Get Wi-fi Internet Access On A Laptop

I have a laptop which when I brought it two years ago I was told that it had wireless internet, yet I do not know how to work it, could someone tell me how I can store or access wi-fi internet on my laptop, or explain to me what I need to do e.g. Do I need to pay for it or something. It would be very much appreciated.

Better still can someone explain to me how wi-fi works. I have no idea about technology at all.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Afam(m): 11:23am On Jul 11, 2006
On how wi-fi works, do a simple search online and you will get loads of info.

If your laptop is wireless enabled, it is not enough for the seller to tell you so, look under the laptop you will see the wifi logo and a sticker stating the supported protocol and serial number.

Once you have this it means that your machine has inbuilt wireless capability, so you do not need to buy any.

To access any wireless network around you all you need do is toggle the switch (look for it somewhere on the laptop, it is usually designated with an antenna like sign).

However, you will be able to pick only unsecured wireless networks around you because those that have taken the time to change the default configurations of the wireless access points will certainly lock you out.

So, to access unsecured wireless networks on a wireless enabled laptop, all that is required is to toggle that switch but keep in mind that someone may deliberately setup an unsecured wireless access point to steal information from your own machine or to monitor or track your internet history or get some valauble information like logon credentials.

You may see the article http://www.justwebservices.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=104
I wrote some months ago on the rise and rise of unsecure wireless networks in Nigeria.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by kiwibabe(f): 7:18pm On Jul 11, 2006
@Afam

Thankyou the information you supplied has been very useful however I do not have a switch on my laptop so I do not know what it is that I need to turn on. I do have an antena sign but it looks like I need to insert something like a pair of earphones. Can you shed a bit of light on that.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by vokalguy(m): 1:58am On Jul 12, 2006
Dang what is this afam dude talking about,  look 4 some dumb a** logo and wat f**king switch do u have to toggle,  dude he said he was told the computer has in built wireless connection,  he should click on START>SETTINGS>NETWORK CONNECTIONS . Thats where u will enable/disable your wireless connection (if u truely have one). And then u have to have a wireless router at home before you can get wireless internet. I am guessing you know this already.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Anabib(f): 9:14am On Jul 12, 2006
Hi, If your laptop has an inbuilt wireless (Wifi) access. what it means is that you can get internet access without a booster equiptment, like Radio and Antenna plus accessories.

Now the first thing to do is to go to an ISP- Internet service provider outfit that can provide you with Bandwidth for internet access.(preferrably one that can cover your location)
You get to then pay for the cost of the bandwidth (either monthly or based on their service plan) which will be allocated to you for your laptop.
If you are in Lagos, its usually from 15000 naira for a 24-7 unlimited for a one month perid to a minimum of 5000. (Depend on what you want)

Go for wireless, its way better than Dial-up

Then Enjoy. grin cheesy
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by New(m): 9:19am On Jul 12, 2006
along with what vokal_guy said, you should have a 'centrino mobile technology' logo on your laptop.
If your laptop wifi settings are enabled, depending on where you live, you can access wifi hotspots (access points) at train stations, airports, some parks, hotels, restaurants, etc and you could easily set one up in your home. to do this you will need to connect a router (wireless) to a wired cable or DSL modem (LAN).

hope this helps.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Fdeveloper(m): 9:26am On Jul 12, 2006
@vokal_guy, Maybe that's how you "Nigerian Americans" talk to each other over there but here in Nigeria it is customary to try and show a little more politeness. You are of course perfectly entitled to disagree with an opinion but there is no need to be rude.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by omogenikky(f): 9:44am On Jul 12, 2006
anabib,
can you pls give me the name of wireless providers in Nigeria. thanks
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Anabib(f): 11:32am On Jul 12, 2006
WELL IT DEPENDS ON WERE U ARE LIVING IN LAGOS. If i get to know your area, i can assist u. I am using easynet concepts and they provide good wireless service to Surulere and Ikeja environ.

HERE ARE A FEW.

Cyberspace Limited(vsat)
1, Olosa Street
Victoria Island
Lagos
Tel: 234-01-2624288 2622720
Fax 234-01-2624287
Email: info@cyberspace.net.ng
URL:http://www.cyberspace.net.ng

Easynet Concepts Ltd (wireless)
101 ogunlana Drive
surulere, lagos

21st Century Technologies Limited (Diallup)
Plot 249A Muri Okunola Street, Victoria Island Annex, Lagos.
Tel: 234-1-2621195, 4708888, 4709696

Webcom Limited
58, Toyin Street, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Tel/Fax: 234-1-4966562, 4970473, 08033045670,
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by vokalguy(m): 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2006
yea new, u got that right
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Panache(m): 10:16pm On Jul 19, 2006
Just take a ride to Ahmadu Bello way in via or one of those banks, launch IE and see if you will get a connection.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by bani(m): 3:55pm On Jul 21, 2006
or if you are within mile 2, satellite town. festac town, ojo u can contact moi.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Afam(m): 4:52pm On Jul 21, 2006
Kiwibabe,

Sorry I didn't follow up on the thread.

Usually there is a switch just where the antennae logo is displayed which you may need to toggle on or off.

There is also usually a LED that blinks or is lit whenever your wireless network card is on.

You can also turn on the wireless network by using what I call auxiliary keys (Fn + antennae logo, same color with the Fn).

You may go the route of accessing the device manager and enabling the WIFI card if it is currently disabled otherwise you will see it as enabled when you click on the properties tab.

If you need to setup a wireless access using your laptop as the server and not a client, you can go so if you are using Windows XP (internet connection sharing feature) while other machines connect to your laptop as clients.

If you want to access a wireless internet connection being provided by anyone (fee based or free) and you have an inbuilt wireless network card, simply activate it or enable it using any of the methods stated above and you will be connected to the nearest WIFI hotspot unless it is secured.

Let me know if the information above helps in any way.

vokal_guy,

There is something they say about half knowledge being a very dangerous thing and I am certain you are displaying it here on a public forum.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by New(m): 9:33am On Jul 25, 2006
Afam,

Although you are precise in your post, I believe you are describing wireless connection setup for laptops over 3 years old (maybe more)i.e. using wireless network cards.
Most recent laptops come with built in wifi and are tagged/labelled on the left of the laptop, 'centrino mobile technology'.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by Afam(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2006
Hi New,

My laptop is getting to 4 years now and it came with inbuilt wireless netwrok card. It doesn't have to be centrino as centrino is simply a platform/architecture for mobility and long battery life. Mine is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 series with even an option for bluetooth if I need it as the bluetooth stack is loaded on my machine from factory.

Now, that a machine has inbuilt wireless capability is one thing and for the user to figure out how to connect to any wireless access point out there is another.

I try to be as simple and as clear as possible in my posts as I will not want to believe that everything is cool with technological jargons or acronyms.

Pardon me, but I was only trying to explain the same thing differently to make it easy for anyone to understand me.

Take care.
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by kiwibabe(f): 2:25pm On Jul 26, 2006
Thankyou to everyone that replied, I have finally got my wireless internet working, I had to creat a name for it etc (I do not konw the technical terms), which was pretty easy. I am yet to connect to a wifi hotspot as my laptop rarely leaves the house but I will let you all know when it does.

To you all , the advice you gave was very useful and informaive
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by textmypage(m): 9:47am On Jun 04, 2010
@ kiwibabe, how were you able to do your.pm me
Re: How To Get Wireless Internet Access On A Laptop? by jjclark10: 10:59pm On Dec 23, 2010
It is always nice to use wireless internet given that you are provided with a fast, reliable and stable connection. congratulations!

(1) (Reply)

Ps3 Media Server - Windows 7 Setup? / Anonymous Vpn Clients That Unblocks All Website Its Completely Free Of Charge No / The Brief History Of Computer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.