Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,387 members, 7,781,108 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:04 AM

Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before (2728 Views)

270k Nissan Sunny (2 Doors): Typical 'hustle Car'. / Mazda 6 2008 Model, Have You Seen It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by promise72(m): 6:12am On Sep 27, 2008
For the past 4-5 days everyone knows what has happened in this Section of the forum (There's no need to go though it all over again). I specifically chose not to wade in. Lots of emotion. Tensions running at a boiling point i can feel it all the way from here.

Regardless of where you stand on this issue, the general concesus has be overwhelmingly in proving VIN for listed vehicles on sale here. YOU LOCK THE DOOR OF YOUR HOUSE NOT NECESSARILY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THE INTENTION OF BREAKING IN BUT ALSO FOR THOSE WHO WILL TAKE YOUR THINGS EVEN WITHOUT ANY PREFORMED INTENTION. In other words, keep the honest people honest.

I think every participant to this issue here (The Accuser and the Accused) all have (in my opinion) at one time or the other misuse the trust and priviledge bestowed upon them. The rest of us only got to find out when the going got rough.

This is in a way NIGERIA in a small context. The question we will have is that: Will business be as usual? I think the people have spoken. That is DEMOCRACY in a small way.

As much noise that was made in the last few days, SEUN has matched it with a deafning silence. I am truly dumbfounded. I am not sure whether he's doing some fact finding or so but at the moment he should require all new posting henceforth to be listed with VIN regardless of the year.

I am very saddened that this is a typical Nigerian factor/attitude. Even after we all agree on the problem and overwhelmingly on the solution. Theres still a lot of foot dragging going on. At least as i write now.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by promise72(m): 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2008
The inspire guy is still doing what he know how to do. Cheat people
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Jafour: 6:00am On Sep 29, 2008
promise72:

As much noise that was made in the last few days, SEUN has matched it with a deafning silence. I am truly dumbfounded. I am not sure whether he's doing some fact finding or so but at the moment he should require all new posting henceforth to be listed with VIN regardless of the year.

Maintaining a deafening silence by SEUN is golden. May I beg to know if you are a dealer, buyer or just an observer/contributor on nairaland? I will speak from the point of a dealer in Canada. It is not compulsory but optional to list vin number in car advert. I will implore you to check www.autotrader.ca where most Canadian Auto Dealers advertise their cars, hardly you will see any dealer listing vin number. A buyer may request for it and it shall be given. The most importing thing is full disclosure of the vehicle to protect the customers especially accidents history. Imploring SEUN to make vin listing mandatory is out of it.

If it is your style to provide vin for your advert, fine and if it is not, SEUN should not make it mandatory.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Jafour: 6:03am On Sep 29, 2008
The first paragraph is a quote from promise 72
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by promise72(m): 6:26am On Sep 29, 2008
Sorry to break this to you. Canada has always been little step brother to the US. Around here in the US as far as i know. VIN has to be listed by dealer. Someday im sure Canada will grow up and be just like the big brother. Someday it will come.

Whatever a car history is, it is paramount that VIN be provided for the customer to make a decision.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Jafour: 3:08pm On Sep 29, 2008
I hope also Nigeria will grow up to be like USA. For now, there is no Motor Vehicle Dealers act in Nigeria making it mandatory for Dealers to list vin in their adverts and as such dealers (registered/unregistered) like inspire et al still have a field day not listing their vin numbers. SEUN should not wade into this vin listing.

Your contribution of vin listing is of good intent and I must agree with you that someday it will come.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 3:20pm On Sep 29, 2008
Jafour:

I hope also Nigeria will grow up to be like USA. For now, there is no Motor Vehicle Dealers act in Nigeria making it mandatory for Dealers to list vin in their adverts and as such dealers (registered/unregistered) like inspire et al still have a field day not listing their vin numbers. SEUN should not wade into this vin listing.

Your contribution of vin listing is of good intent and I must agree with you that someday it will come.

It might surprise you to know that in Canada, there is something called the OMVIC and if you know enough about dealership in Canada, you will know what OMVIC stands for, so this makes it easier for pple that loses money to dealers to go and complain and some of the times cld get their money back, however, in Nigeria, people are arrested buying rides that were stolen from Canada and USA, who would blame, the buyers, the sellers or the govt?
My guy, we need to support what is right and that will be to stop the sales of stolen vehicles, cos the buyers are the one being punished for it.
In Canada, before you buy a car from personal sales, you could call the ministry of transportation, and giving them the VIN Number, you will be able to get all the facts on the vehicles and you could make your decisions based on that, but mind you, Nigeria dont have such system.
This is a forum that sellers and buyers are trying to keep it clean, and i see no big deal in displaying the VIN of the ride.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Ivvie: 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2008
`
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Jafour: 6:42am On Oct 06, 2008
@Ivvie
What a very sound contribution!

@Fhemmmy
Fhemmmy:

It might surprise you to know that in Canada, there is something called the OMVIC and if you know enough about dealership in Canada, you will know what OMVIC stands for, so this makes it easier for people that loses money to dealers to go and complain and some of the times cld get their money back, however, in Nigeria, people are arrested buying rides that were stolen from Canada and USA, who would blame, the buyers, the sellers or the govt?
There is nothing to be surprised about OMVIC. I am a registered dealer with OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council). Please go to OMVIC site, www.omvic.on.ca under SERVICES, click Dealers/Salesperson, under Registration, click Dealer and Salesperson Search then enter my dealership name Bellin International. Check my former post https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157191.0.html and compare my phone number and corresponding email of my dealership name.
OMVIC stands for Honesty,Integrity and financial responsibilty. The act governing OMVIC requires that a dealer must disclose all material facts about damage of the vehicle to the customer, this includes what a dealer knows or what he should know about the vehicle. You can see that in my above post, I disclosed a material fact and none of the 1352 viewers/buyers asked for vin number (Only $$$ Rhino identified what a dealer should be).
The enforcement officers at the ports and border should be blamed for stolen vehicles. Listing vin numbers for you to check at CARFAX, CARPROOF, AUTOCHECK etc will only tell you about a vehicle that was reported stolen but not re-vin stolen vehicle. My brother, I do not want to dwell on the other side of vin number vis-a-vis stolen vehicle. But bear in mind that the vin number you're requesting for will only tell you the reported history of a vehicle - a dealer should be able to tell you what he knows about the present condition of a vehicle.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 6:22pm On Oct 06, 2008
Jafour:

@Ivvie
What a very sound contribution!

@FhemmmyThere is nothing to be surprised about OMVIC. I am a registered dealer with OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council). Please go to OMVIC site, www.omvic.on.ca under SERVICES, click Dealers/Salesperson, under Registration, click Dealer and Salesperson Search then enter my dealership name Bellin International. Check my former post https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157191.0.html and compare my phone number and corresponding email of my dealership name.
OMVIC stands for Honesty,Integrity and financial responsibilty. The act governing OMVIC requires that a dealer must disclose all material facts about damage of the vehicle to the customer, this includes what a dealer knows or what he should know about the vehicle. You can see that in my above post, I disclosed a material fact and none of the 1352 viewers/buyers asked for vin number (Only $$$ Rhino identified what a dealer should be).
The enforcement officers at the ports and border should be blamed for stolen vehicles. Listing vin numbers for you to check at CARFAX, CARPROOF, AUTOCHECK etc will only tell you about a vehicle that was reported stolen but not re-vin stolen vehicle. My brother, I do not want to dwell on the other side of vin number vis-a-vis stolen vehicle. But bear in mind that the vin number you're requesting for will only tell you the reported history of a vehicle - a dealer should be able to tell you what he knows about the present condition of a vehicle.

That is really nice, but my point still remains that disclosing VIN Number in Nigeria and keeping a database of the VIN is useless, cos most of them can't check it anyways, since they will need credit card to do such, besides, i would rather foot for a database that will deal with all dealers and seller of autos in Nigeria, so that when there is a prob, it can be traced back to who sold the vehicle.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by promise72(m): 7:39pm On Oct 06, 2008
@ Fhemmmy

There are ppl who give free VIN check on this forum. Its just a buyer's safeguard. Thats all.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Siga: 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2008
Guys, here is my take on this matter, I beg read my comment first before u cut my haed off, for instance, lets say Fhemmy, Jafour , Promise72 and I were out one night, we don shark enough beer, got drunk, on our way back home, promise72 hit my car for yansh, the damage was bad, but i cant report to eso( Insurance) say i get accident as na my friend hit my car like Tinubu hit Tetula car, so, I fixed the car, how Carfax or OMVIC go know this incident, I need an answer, so, lets be factual, VIN is a good Idea but it will only carry reported info,

This is my take oo, I beg no curse me oo
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by ziontrain: 8:07pm On Oct 06, 2008
@Siga, records of accident are not obtained primarily from insurance companies. They are mostly obtained from vehicle repair shops and dealerships (which normally have repair and collision dept.). It is only when you go to roadside repairers that records could be missed - who wants to do this and how much do you gain or save by going to roadside guys?)
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by igwe11(m): 8:11pm On Oct 06, 2008
Siga, you 're right but naija is quite different from us, all the cars mark for sale in us have their VINs displayed along side.naija used cars are sold cheaper b/c of some of these factors.
VIN is 100% good because it will force truth out from dealer on the approximate odometer.and gives excellent/double assurance on legitimacy of the car.i.e not stolen car.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 8:16pm On Oct 06, 2008
ziontrain:

@Siga, records of accident are not obtained primarily from insurance companies. They are mostly obtained from vehicle repair shops and dealerships (which normally have repair and collision dept.). It is only when you go to roadside repairers that records could be missed - who wants to do this and how much do you gain or save by going to roadside guys?)

I so much beg to differ sir.
I remember when i had my car broken in to, and i called the insurance, after talking about y deductible, i realize was better for me to fix by self and never reported it, my guy, it never came on the carfax, and you know why? cos most time, people go to the least expensive, expect when you go to dealers and the sophisticated coys, it will be go unreported.

Further more, it is not all repair or maintenance that are reported, many are done by in-law and uncle at "double garage" workshop, and they all go unreported.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On Oct 06, 2008
igwe 1:

Siga, you 're right but naija is quite different from us, all the cars mark for sale in us have their VINs displayed along side.naija used cars are sold cheaper b/c of some of these factors.
VIN is 100% good because it will force truth out from dealer on the approximate odometer.and gives excellent/double assurance on legitimacy of the car.i.e not stolen car.

I beg to differ sir, VIN does not prevent sales of stolen vehicle at point of sale, could be months later be4 it shows on the record.
Lemme give you example, Nigerian guys will ship their own personal ride to Nigeria, sell it, and go back to their base and declare it missing, now you the buyer, will yu be able to know from the VIn at point of buying that it is stolen, cos it is yet to be recorded, however, months later, the ride will be shown as stolen.

Please dont get me wrong, i am so much in favour of VIN oh, cos it show proffessionalism and i so much for that.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2008
promise72:

@ Fhemmmy

There are people who give free VIN check on this forum. Its just a buyer's safeguard. Thats all.

i am not talking about people on NL, i am talking about mama aja in abule egba that wanna buy a benz and have never seen a computer before, how is VIN check on NL gonna be of help to her, or baba tunde in oshodi.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Siga: 8:21pm On Oct 06, 2008
Exactly Femo, infact, people dey declare incorrect mileage when dem go renew plate, so, wetin una dey talk
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On Oct 06, 2008
Siga:

Exactly Femo, infact, people dey declare incorrect mileage when them go renew plate, so, wetin una dey talk

Siga, they are all talking like we live in a perfect world.
Even in USA and Canada, people do declare wrong odometer, especially knowing fully well that, the sales of vehicle is driven by the mile driven.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by ziontrain: 8:39pm On Oct 06, 2008
@Fhemmmy, sorry, you do not "declare" odometer in the US - Odometer is tracked by the system sir! That is why when you get CARFAX report it tells you last odometer reading and by extrapolation, it is sometimes mentions in there that vehicle has odometer issues/problem i.e. latest odometer reading does not add up.

We are not saying VIN is everything but it goes a long way in weeding out bad eggs ahead of time in very many instances.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Siga: 8:41pm On Oct 06, 2008
Ziontrain, Fhemmy is not saying VIN is not a good idea it is, but, there some things that VIn cant carry, but generally, make all man dey provide VIN.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2008
ziontrain:

@Fhemmmy, sorry, you do not "declare" odometer in the US - Odometer is tracked by the system sir! That is why when you get CARFAX report it tells you last odometer reading and by extrapolation, it is sometimes mentions in there that vehicle has odometer issues/problem i.e. latest odometer reading does not add up.

We are not saying VIN is everything but it goes a long way in weeding out bad eggs ahead of time in very many instances.

So i buy a car from you, and the mileage on it when bought was 40K miles, and i drove it for 2 years, what system will tell how much mileage i have driven? pls explain.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by promise72(m): 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2008
Fhemmmy:

So i buy a car from you, and the mileage on it when bought was 40K miles, and i drove it for 2 years, what system will tell how much mileage i have driven? please explain.

This is how it works. Everytime you go for repair at a big dealership, your mileage will be recorded. Even if you don't go to big dealership, your vehicle's registration will have to be renewd yearly. You will be required to do something similar to "road worthiness" or "emission test" to know that your car is not polluting etc and its fit to be on the road.

The govt approved station that conducts the test will record your mileage. CARFAX collect all these data to compile their list.

If you do an emission test a year after you bought the car and its like lets say 52k miles. Then you sold it thereafter. Someone bought it and roll it back to lets say 32k miles. The next time the data is collected (from emission test or so) CARFAX will "flag" that mileage reading. Understand?

Another good source of data is insurance. The keep track when you insure your vehicle. If you have a full coverage. A physical inspection will be done to record the mileage. So if you crash the car and its a total loss, the insurance will pay you based on the mileage of the vehicle.

so you don't have to report anything. It will be tracked. This no be Naija  grin
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by ziontrain: 6:29pm On Oct 07, 2008
@Promise72, thanks for educating nairalanders about the process.
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by promise72(m): 6:42pm On Oct 07, 2008
My pleasure. This is the purpose of a forum. Each one teach one
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 07, 2008
Re: Resolution?: Nah! Typical Nigerian Attitude. Seen It All Before by Fhemmmy: 7:24pm On Oct 07, 2008
promise72:

This is how it works. Everytime you go for repair at a big dealership, your mileage will be recorded. Even if you don't go to big dealership, your vehicle's registration will have to be renewd yearly. You will be required to do something similar to "road worthiness" or "emission test" to know that your car is not polluting etc and its fit to be on the road.

The govt approved station that conducts the test will record your mileage. CARFAX collect all these data to compile their list.

If you do an emission test a year after you bought the car and its like lets say 52k miles. Then you sold it thereafter. Someone bought it and roll it back to lets say 32k miles. The next time the data is collected (from emission test or so) CARFAX will "flag" that mileage reading. Understand?

Another good source of data is insurance. The keep track when you insure your vehicle. If you have a full coverage. A physical inspection will be done to record the mileage. So if you crash the car and its a total loss, the insurance will pay you based on the mileage of the vehicle.

so you don't have to report anything. It will be tracked. This no be Naija  grin

You are great guy, all the ziontrain was saying that, there is a special system that records the mileage and that is my arguement with him, that is it being reported, when you go to fix your ride, you ave your ride checked and the mileage is checked, all i am telling the dude is that anything that involves human being has the tendency of being tampered with.

@Ziontrain, i am so much into auto with all its protocols, dont just come here and tell pple that one system records, oga i beg oh, i resides in the western world too.
Promise, thanx my guy.

@Siena, i am so much in favour of VIN revelation.

Nice dialogue though and Mr Zion, you know u my dawg anytime, but still gotta dig that out with ya.

One love still.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 07-09 Switchblade Key Shells / Audi 80 For Sale @ N250,000k / WANTED: 2005 Toyota Corolla S Alloy Wheels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.