Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,693 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? (9882 Views)

John Terry Cleared Of Racism Against Anton Ferdinand / John Terry Set For Trial In Anton Ferdinand Race Case / John Terry In England Euro 2012 Squad As Ferdinand Is Left Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 1:21am On Jul 14, 2006
Taking a look at both players.

Who do you think is the best and why?

Rio Ferdinand

Plays for manchester United.

Debuted for England national team at 19.

Banned for Driving four times.

Suspected to have used Drug few years ago, banned for 8 months and fined £50,000.

He is the most expensive Defender in the world at £29.1m

John Terry

He cost Chelsea £0

He is Chelsea's captain.

He is once involved with Gambling

He is a candidate for england national team captainship.

WHO IS THE BEST AMONG THE TWO?

Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 1:26am On Jul 14, 2006
And

Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Grizzly(m): 1:47am On Jul 14, 2006
Well i think they are both good, but i'd say John terry is more consistent. cool
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 10:02am On Jul 14, 2006
@ Akola,

This is very very difficult but lemme put it like this.

John Terry is a very good defender and he is very consistent but he is not natural,
Rio Ferdinand is naturally talented to be a defender but he can be very lazy sometimes.

The best of Rio Ferdinand is definitely better than the best of John Terry but Terry is more consistent.
I watched the 2 lads at the World Cup and i could not see anywhere Ferdinand put a foot wrong in the entire tournament but Terry made mistakes after mistakes.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by lalaboi(m): 11:20am On Jul 14, 2006
Hucs

pls explain wot u mean by he's nt natural!
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by amodu(m): 11:54am On Jul 14, 2006
Terry is the best.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 12:02pm On Jul 14, 2006
lalaboi:

Hucs

please explain wot u mean by he's nt natural!

I am expecting the explanation from my United fan as well.

Terry can lift up a dead wood, he is the moving spirit behind Chelsea's performance.
From an apprentice to a World superstar.

##Terry is a bit protected by English Referee, the same way they protect Shearer and Rooney, he handled ball in Chelsea's box 18 on three occassion last season but they(Referee) interpret it as ball-to-hand###

I still dont understand how Ferdinand will cost £30m and afterall they will call Chelsea a wastefull club.

Well, English price for English Players irrespective of their quality.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by mukina2: 12:40pm On Jul 14, 2006
Akola thats a crime aw can u compare[b] John TERRRY[/b] to cannabis Ferdinand shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

please the only thing rio can do is smoke and cause problems on the pitch grin grin grin grin grin
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2006
@Mukina2

Rio is a good player but i think JT is better by far.

Rio shouldnt be more than £10m but he is English so we have to lipsrsealed
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by kitaun(m): 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2006
how could we be comparing rio with terry,JT is far more better when it comes to consistency but as huc rightly said rio was far beta at the mundial
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by mukina2: 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2006
@Akola
You Should have chosen another defender to compare with JT and not Mr Rio ganja lipsrsealed tongue
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Grizzly(m): 6:46pm On Jul 14, 2006
@ mukina,
maybe sol campbell or Pascal Cygan? shocked cool
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by mukina2: 6:50pm On Jul 14, 2006
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked nooooooooo grin grin grin grin grin
grin
sol left already
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 7:46pm On Jul 14, 2006
@ lalaboi,

What i meant by John Terry ain't a natural is the lack of natural ability.
Just like Ruggedman differentiated Abinibi and Ability. grin
U can easily tell JT moulded himself to be a defender. Its just like someone subjecting himself to be a singer.
Terry is just like William Gallas. This kind of defenders are too fussy and they use steel and fibre to get things done.
However,what i like about Terry is his consistency.
Terry is the kind of defender that will produce 80-89% optimum performance in 38 league games in the premiership.

Rio on the other hand is a natural defender.
Ferdinand has that natural ability in him and he's so calm the way he wins balls off defenders just like Cannavaro or Alessandro Nesta.
U can hardly tell Nesta breaks sweat while playing for club. He is too calm and collected to be a defender. No fuss No mistakes.
This kind of people has a natural stint of defending in them. Its kind of in-born talent embedded from their day-birth.
Watch how Ferdinand win balls and even try to dribble an attacker.  Rio Ferdinand is so calm but he sometimes gets lazy hence most people feel he is crap.
Ferdinand can produce 99% Optimum performance in 10 league games and slide back to 60-70% in subsequent weeks due to inconsistency.

Overall, The Best of Rio is better than any known defender in England as it was evident at the last world cup.

Ferdinand showed class throughout and for the 1st time i saw an ordinary John Terry without the protection of his Godfather(Makelele)

@ Akolawole,
The real spirit behind Chelsea's success is Claude Makelele.
He is the tireless worker/unsung hero that does the dirty job in the Chelsea team.
I took time to analyse what makes Mourinho's men unbeatable by watching Chelsea's games and i was able to pin it on Makelele.

Makelele sits iin front of the back four to offer solid protection to Terry and Gallas.
He breaks opposition attacks and Terry/Gallas will just pick up the scraps and clean things up at the back.
Makelele throws himself to tackle and he does just enough to destabilise opponents and they lose control and JT will just do the bit of cleaning up.
When there was no Makelele to offer protection at the world cup, JT faltered countless times and he sometimes get confused with what to do with the ball and Ferdinand was in control throughout the game.
Go n watch Portugal V England and u will admit Rio is a better defender than John Terry.
Don't u wonder why Thierry Henry always look ordinary whenever he faces Rio Ferdinand?

Chelsea is a wasteful club no matter what u try to prove.
The cost of Shawn Wright Phillips, Michael Essien and Didier Drogba (£70million) is enough to establish a premiership club that will win the title.
Even Mourinho admitted the club lavishes money on useless players(relics).
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by lalaboi(m): 8:06pm On Jul 14, 2006
Mr hucs!
U ar just dfending ur team!
U say he's nt consistent and he's beta dan sm1 who's consistent! Haba!!! I want 2 knw who played d sweeper role btw JT and rio! N who shuld do d most work!
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by lalaboi(m): 8:07pm On Jul 14, 2006
Mr hucs!
U ar just dfending ur team!
U say he's nt consistent and he's beta dan sm1 who's consistent! Haba!!! I want 2 knw who played d sweeper role btw JT and rio! N who shuld do d most work!
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 8:22pm On Jul 14, 2006
Does consistency make someone better than the other? Hell No.

If Mr A produces 30% performance in all the 38 league games in a season. He is consistent but consistently poor.
Mr B produces 70% in 5 games and 55% in 10 games ad 25 % in remaining games. He is not consistent but his overall performance is better than Mr A who is consistent.

John Terry is very consistent but his performance is capped to about 90%.
JT's personal best can never exceed 90% but he can produce 80% performance in 38 games and even forever.

Rio Ferdinand is not consistent but his performance on a good day is capped to about 99%
Ferdinand's personal best exceeds 90% but u cannot get 90% out of him at all time.

Overall, I think Rio is better than Terry.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by kitaun(m): 9:37pm On Jul 14, 2006
@ hucarson,

why did u have to start mentioning henry as being weak against rio ?
what do you have to say about yak aiyegbeni who consistently has husbanded ur rio,
the truth is terry is better than rio,
inasmuch as i agree with u that chelsea wastes too much on players i want to tell u that @30 million pounds rio is just not worth it cheesy cheesy
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 10:48pm On Jul 14, 2006
kitaun:

inasmuch as i agree with u that chelsea wastes too much on players i want to tell u that @30 million pounds rio is just not worth it cheesy cheesy

Thank you my brother.

£30m was even too much in JULY 2002. Imagine!

hucarson:

However,what i like about Terry is his consistency.
Terry is the kind of defender that will produce 80-89% optimum performance in 38 league games in the premiership.

Rio on the other hand is a natural defender.

Ferdinand can produce 99% Optimum performance in 10 league games and slide back to 60-70% in subsequent weeks due to inconsistency.

Overall, The Best of Rio is better than any known defender in England as it was evident at the last world cup.

Mr Hucarson/Jackal

You said Terry is Consistent and Rio is natural.

I think if you are natural you mustbe consistent.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 11:17pm On Jul 14, 2006
hucarson:

Chelsea is a wasteful club no matter what u try to prove.
The cost of Shawn Wright Phillips, Michael Essien and Didier Drogba (£70million) is enough to establish a premiership club that will win the title.

Jackal

I know Chelsea is wasteful.

But the cost of Rooney+Ferdinand+Veron ( £87m) should win West Brom the premiership.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 1:13am On Jul 15, 2006
@ Akola,
I am glad u just shot yourself on the leg and opened another can of worms.
Unfortunately, Veron and Rooney never played for United at the same time so Ferguson is more sensible.
Lemme break this down for u.

Sir Alex bought Veron for £28m in 2001 for a 5-yr deal. Thats £5.6m a year and after 2 years he was sold with injury ironically to a London club which happens to be Akola's Chelsea for a whooping £14m.
Ferguson knew Veron's career was over after the 2002/03 season because of injury and he sold him off to Chelsea.
Chelsea bought a 2nd hand product from United at £14m. Ferguson is simply a genius.
In other words, Ferguson recovered what was lost as at the time he bought Veron from SS Lazio. grin

Lets come back to Chelsea and let me list the number of players bought by Jose in a space of just 2 years and are still playing together in the team.
Drogba--------------£24m
SWP----------------- £21m
Essien---------------£24m
Carvalho------------£20m
Shevchenko--------£30m
Makelele------------£17m
Mikel Obi------------£16m
Ferriera-------------£13m

A total of £165m has been spent by Jose in a space of 2 years and u think he is not wasteful?
I think Festus Onigbinde will win UEFA Champions league for the next decade with a club like NEPA Osogbo with this kind of money and his own salary of £5m per year.

***Consistency and being natural are 2 different angles.
The main key to success is hard-work/practising.

Men like Albert Einstein, Alfred Nobel  and Bill Gates were naturally gifted(Genius) but without hard-work they wldn't have become great men.
Rio Ferdinand is a genius but he can be sometimes lazy so he lacks consistency.
Terry is not a genius at defending but his hard work keeps him going as a very good defender. grin
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by lalaboi(m): 6:04am On Jul 15, 2006
If sm1 is natural would he av any weakness! Would he b lazy!? Wil he dcide wen 2 play wel n wen nt 2 play wel!
Hw can u say rio can produce 99%. Dat means he's perfect! Whch is nt so! Al ur values of rio's performance are exageratd!
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 10:11am On Jul 15, 2006
U must have heard about a genius under-utilising himself in school, haven't u?
Football requires constant practise to maintain sharpness and match fitness.
If Diego Maradona does not practise/train everyday, he will lack match fitness in spite of his ingenuity.
One can be natural and still have weaknesses if he is lazy.

Did u watch Rio's 1st match at Old Trafford after his 8-month ban? Man U vs Liverpool(Sep. 2004)?
He was too impressive. Rio single-handedly stopped Gerrard, Cisse, Alonso and Garcia.
No one knew he could come out of 8 month ban and produce such subliminal performance.
No premiership defender has been able to play the way Rio played on tha day(optimum performance 99%)
Skysports still regard this match as one of the best matches played in the premiership where a defender was the difference btw 2 attacking sides.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 10:48am On Jul 15, 2006
hucarson:

U must have heard about a genius under-utilising himself in school, haven't u?
Football requires constant practise to maintain sharpness and match fitness.
If Diego Maradona does not practise/train everyday, he will lack match fitness in spite of his ingenuity.
One can be natural and still have weaknesses if he is lazy.

Did u watch Rio's 1st match at Old Trafford after his 8-month ban? Man U vs Liverpool(Sep. 2004)?
He was too impressive. Rio single-handedly stopped Gerrard, Cisse, Alonso and Garcia.
No one knew he could come out of 8 month ban and produce such subliminal performance.
No premiership defender has been able to play the way Rio played on tha day(optimum performance 99%)
Skysports still regard this match as one of the best matches played in the premiership where a defender was the difference between 2 attacking sides.

We are going off topic again, i just don't know where you get your optimum percentages you are talking about.

When did Skysports ("STILL"wink says that of Rio?

I deliberately ignore those your analysis of sign on fees for now because thats a massive topic on his own.

Can we look at their Goal-scoring prowess?
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Hugoboi(m): 11:09am On Jul 15, 2006
From the world cup experience,Id say RIO is betta.Terry was too inconsistent and i didnt see him replicate his Chelsea form.Too bad he almost caused a goal.Too much for inexperience id say!!
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 11:23am On Jul 15, 2006
@ Akolawole
I know u will ignore the sign on fees line of argument.
Only a blind and deaf man does not know Chelsea is wasteful.

Fortunately for my arguments,
Rio and Terry are defenders.
I will rather judge them in the business they are paid to do than other stuffs.
Terry's skills depend on the basketball skills that cow the Premiership whistle-blowers.

In the business of defending, Rio does it better than Terry.
I don't care if Terry scores 30 goals in a season but Rio is better at defending than Terry.
The only glitch about Rio is off-pitch.
Social life and his lackadaisical approach to issues that surround him.

I still insist the best of Rio is better than the best of Terry.
Terry's contribution in his club is boosted by Claude Makelele. He makes Terry's job the easiest of jobs in the Premierhip.
For the national team, Terry is a different man without the protective shield of Claude Makelele.
He gets confused because there's no Claude to help him out.
Who can forget the way Terry let England down at EURO 2004 against Portugal with his sloppy defending?
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 11:37am On Jul 15, 2006
@Jackal

I ask us to leave the Sign-on fees because we were bound to muddle up too different topics.

Go and read the second to the last post where i say my team is wasteful. I will never shy away from truth.

I ask u where you get those optimum percentage AND where and when Sky sports say that/

still waiting for your response.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by lalaboi(m): 11:42am On Jul 15, 2006
Hugo!

He almost cost dm a goal n he also savd dm 4rm conceedn a goal clearin d ball of d line!
As u ar using d tournament 2 compare dm, dat means pirlo is beta dan ronaldinho!!

Hucs
Rio is natural abi? Cn u tel me wy he used drug in d 1st instance! For me dat 1 no b abinibi o!
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Priscila(f): 11:55am On Jul 15, 2006
Hucarson!
Never in your life compare Cannavaro defense with that of your Rio! let alone Nesta.
Yeah right, show your Disunited blood but with a lot of objectivity.
Rio was the most useless player in the English team and
hey! did you see that save John Terry made inside the post? Pls its an insult to compare him with unyielding Rio!
I never heard the name Rio mentioned even once in WC.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by hucarson(m): 4:34pm On Jul 15, 2006
@ lalaboi,
This is why i say most Arsenal fans on Nairaland are soccer-illiterates.
Rio was not banned for using drugsHe was banned for failing to turn up for a dope test.
I have already stated Rio Ferdinand has a non-challant attitude.
He was meant to turn up for a dope test which he did not because he claimed to have forgotten.
The FA banned Ferdinand because they wanted to make him a scape goat/deterrent to others who won't turn up for a dope test.
No traces of dope was found on Ferdinand's body system till this day.
GUNNERS, Stop misinforming the public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Priscilla,
I don't expect u to know much about football because u started watching soccer when Rooney joined Man United. shocked
There's no point proving facts to u because i can understand u are a soccer novice. grin
I have an advice for u. Please aways listen when football elders argue and stop ranting like a billy-goat.
Good listeners tend to gain more than feisty individual who does not know jack about football world.
Everyone on this sports forum admitted Ferdinand had a better performance than John Terry @ the  World Cup except u.
I must implore u to go back to your TiVo and watch all the recorded  England matches on your box.
Terry appears to be better than Rio in Premiership because Terry has the best protective shield(Makelele) in the English League.
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Akolawole(m): 5:01pm On Jul 15, 2006
hucarson:

@ lalaboi,

This is why i say most Arsenal fans on Nairaland are soccer-illiterates.

@ Priscilla,
There's no point proving facts to u because i can understand u are a soccer novice. grin
I have an advice for u. Please aways listen when football elders argue and stop ranting like a billy-goat.
Good listeners tend to gain more than feisty individual who does not know jack about football world.
Everyone on this sports forum admitted Ferdinand had a better performance than John Terry @ the World Cup except u.
I must implore u to go back to your TiVo and watch all the recorded England matches on your box.

@Jackal

You dont need to mix explanation with foul languages.

"BY THEIR FRUITS YE SHALL KNOW THEM"
Re: John Terry Vs Rio Ferdinand: Who Is The Best? by Badman888(m): 5:15pm On Jul 15, 2006
I think both players have had their time to shine, Rio was at the top of his game couple of seasons ago, but right now he is inconsistent he can have a bad game any time, John Terry is currently at his peak so his performance for club and country is outstanding at the moment.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Liverpool Vs Southampton (2 - 0) On 8th May 2021 / International Friendly: Sweden Vs England (4 - 2) On 14th November 2012 / UCL: Shakhtar Donetsk Vs Chelsea (2 - 1) On 23rd October 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.