Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116271 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 04, 2009
Hi cooldude after analysing the game, I realised I could have mated him using a pseudo queen sac when he pinned my knight. I guess I have to really sharpen up my tactics. He lost concentration towards the end, yeah.

Drop your email address or phone number. We could play on saturdays at fujah chess club in surulere, or ultimate chess club or wherever you want. I just want to play!

And to all, I hope you know there's a friends of chess tournament coming up in a week or two's time. I'm sure you all know Dashe, the International Master(IM) reply if you want his number to find out more.

Man d chess bug don bite me. I even dey dream about chess.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 10:05pm On Jul 05, 2009
hi Fortissimo,
i hope to be there during friend of chess.

though i know one of the good players that gives me info,
his name's on page one of this thread, he plays in the masters category now.
The only thing is that he likes blooding and wants to "chop" all my money lol.
I'll call him anyway and hope to be there.
We can arrange a meeting to play each other too.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Elgaxton(m): 10:15am On Jul 06, 2009
Here are some of my Games:

Check here to see my games:

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/sports/31747-heres-my-chess-park-updated-daily.html

I pasted the games here but it was not showing so you can click on the above link to view the games,

not PGN but the JAva Script enabled board where you can play and watch the game itself
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 07, 2009
Cooldude. So there are sections in the friends of chess tourney. Have you played in one before? It'll be my first time even playing in a tourney. Please what other categories are there in the tourney and which one do you play in?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 10, 2009
[Event "Challenge"]
[Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
[Date "2009.07.08"]
[EndDate "2009.07.09"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Goshen"]
[Black "percival86"]
[WhiteRating "1271"]
[BlackRating "1358"]
[WhiteELO "1271"]
[BlackELO "1358"]
[Result "1-0"]
[GameId "6487067"]

1. e4 e5 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 3. Bf1c4 Bf8c5 4. c3 Ng8f6 5. d4 exd4 6. cxd4 Bc5b4
7. Nb1c3 O-O 8. O-O d6 9. a3 Bb4xc3 10. bxc3 Nf6xe4 11. d5 Nc6a5 12. Bc4d3 Ne4xc3
13. Qd1c2 Nc3xd5 14. Bd3xh7 Kg8h8 15. Qc2e4 Nd5f6 16. Qe4h4 Nf6xh7
17. Nf3g5 1-0
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 2:44am On Jul 10, 2009
Hi, the friends of chess is like Round Robin,
you play as many matches with whoever you are paired with,
your points however will be recorded in your category,
since its your first like myself, we will be in opens.

The tourney is tomorrow, saturday @ the usual place. I'll be there.
I replied your mail and was expecting your call but none came,
hope to see you there.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 5:46am On Jul 10, 2009
I go call you later today, guy. I'm guessing its free and its at the national stadium?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by spicy007(f): 11:36am On Jul 23, 2009
shocked
i dont believe the Nike Ogunremi i know is really a chessmaster,
her younga sisters used to tell me she was a Nigerian representative in international chess tournaments and i didnt believe.
Wow, i doff my hat for her
pls can anyone tell me more about her?
and her achievements regariding chess?
she hasnt been in Nigeria for a long while tho.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 1:27pm On Jul 24, 2009
Sorry we haven't updated you,
it was nice at the competition.
I was there with fortissimo.
It was a nice experience.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by switch47(m): 6:41pm On Aug 07, 2009
cooldud62*:

Sorry we haven't updated you,
it was nice at the competition.
I was there with fortissimo.
It was a nice experience.

Hey!! wetin was your poston for dia  which Board you for start and which board you finsh??

@fortissimo
Wetin be pseudo queen sac?? cheesy sac ie is sacrifice  na sac if pseudo dey then it is not a  sacrifice but at at best an EXCHANGE!!

@ spicy 007
Nike ogunremi   na good player amongs her fellow fff female but dont use  that name in the same sentence with CHESS MASTER   . 

@  All

my chess don spoil.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2009
FRIENDS OF CHESS: JULY, 2009

The story of July’s ‘Friends of Chess’ is now out. It is basically a report by Dasaolu Rotimi the organizer and some pictures. Here is Dashe’s unedited report.

PLAYING REPORT OF THE JULY FRIENDS OF CHESS

THE JULY 2009, FRIENDS OF CHESS TOOK PLACE AT THE (NOW PERMANENT? VENUE OF THE SWAN BUILDING IN THE NATIONAL STADIUM, SURULERE LAGOS ON THE 11TH JULY. A TOTAL OF 76 PLAYERS REGISTERED FOR THE EVENT WITH 70 ACTUALLY SHOWING UP TO PLAY. (THE HEAVY DOWNPOUR IN LAGOS A FEW HOURS BEFORE THE EVENT DID NOT HELP MATTERS). THE BREAKDOWN WAS 20 MASTERS,7 FEMALE AND 43 OPENS PLAYERS OF WHICH 14 WERE NEWCOMERS

IN THE ABSCENCE OF ADEBAYO ADEGBOYEGA, BUNMI OLAPE WAS THE HIGHEST RATED  PLAYER FOLLOWED BY CHARLES CAMPBELL,FOLA AKINTOLA AND BAYO BABALOLA. ACTUALLY THE FIRST TWO ARE ACCURATE WHILE THE REST OF THE RATING LIST WAS SUBJECTIVE (ONE OF THE MANY ABNORMALITIES OF THE FRIENDS OF CHESS AS PRESENTLY CONSTITUTED!) ALSO PARTICIPATING WERE SPONSORS IN PERSON OF LEO NDIMELI, YINKA ADEWOLE, SEGUN OLOMOLA AND WE WERE GRACED WITH THE PRESCENCE OF ABDULAHI MUSA,REX KOLAWOLE AND ROBERT ASIBOR. BOTH BAYO OPADEYI AND DIRAN OGUNGBOLA PROMISED TO COME AROUND AND SHOW A FEW OF THEIR NEW RESEARCHED CHESS MOVES BUT FAILED TO TURN UP

THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS DID NOT PRODUCE ANY UPSETS PERSE EXCEPT THAT ALL 3 OF THE SPONSORS LOST IN THE 2ND ROUND! THE SURPRISING/SHOCKING ONE WAS SEGUN OLOMOLA LOSING TO DAPO ODUGBESAN, LEO LOST TO OLUWOLE OLADELE WHILE YINKA LOST TO UCHE UNACHUKWU BUT BOTH CANT BE CONSIDERED AS UPSETS.  (APOLOGIES TO ALL CONCERNED!)

ROUND 3 COMMENCED WITH 18 PLAYERS HAVING A PERFECT SCORE AND IN WHAT MIGHT   BE CONSIDERED THE UPSET OF THE ROUND FOLA LOST TO CHIKE ANIUNOH, AFTER WHICH HE LAMENTED AND COMPLAINED THAT HE WAS PLAYING LIKE A YOUNG MAN LOOKING FOR TACTICAL WAYS OF WINNING WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE GROUND OUT A WIN IN THE STYLE OF OLD MEN!

ROUND 4 STARTED WITH 9 PLAYERS WITH A PERFECT SCORE AND 1 PLAYER HALF A POINT BEHIND THEM. OLUWOLE OLADELE WAS PAIRED AGAINST BUNMI OLAPE AND LOST.CAMPBELL LOST AGAINST TOLU OGUNWOBI WHILE BAYO BABALOLA DEFEATED DAPO OGUNGBESAN, CHIKE ANIUNOH BUILT ON HIS SUCCESS AGAINST FOLA BY DEFEATING TUNJI ROJUGBOKAN.

ROUND 5 HAD JUST 4 PLAYERS ON A PERFECT SCORE WITH OLAPE MAKING SHORT WORK OF CHIKE AND OGUNWOBI MISPLAYING A LARGELY ADVANTAGEOUS POSITION AGAINST BAYO WITH THE GAME RESULTING IN A DRAW. ON 3RD BOARD DEMOLA SHORUNGBE WITH 3.5 LOST AGAINST CAMPBELL WHO HAD 3 POINTS. THERE WERE A FURTHER 16 PLAYERS ON 3 POINTS AT THE START OF THIS ROUND.

THE FINAL ROUND SAW BAYO (4.5) LOSING TO OLAPE(5)IN WHAT WAS A SHORT GAME (ARANGEE??),TOYIN JEGEDE (4) LOST TO OGUNWOBI (4.5)  AND IN THE BATTLE OF THE 4 POINTERS CAMPBELL DEFEATED NEWCOMER AYO ABUBAKAR,OLUWOLE LOST TO FOLA, FRED FABEYO LOST TO TUNJI ROJUGBOKAN AND CHIKE ANIUNOH LOST TO EMMANUEL. MADUGWUANA.

RESULTS

1ST  BUNMI OLAPE                      6/6
2ND  TOLU OGUNWOBI                 5.5/6
3RD=  FOLA AKINTOLA                 5/6
3RD= AKEEM AMOSU                    5/6    my fish i remember beating him in same event years ago!!
3RD=  TUNJI ROJUGBOKAN            5/6
3RD=  CHARLES CAMPBELL             5/6
3RD= EMMANUEL MADUGWUANA      5/6

OPENS

1ST CYPRIAN EBOKA                 4.5/6 (ALSO BEST NEWCOMER)

2ND= AYO ABUBAKAR                  4/6
          ABIOLA JACOB
          CHARLES EJORH
          CHRIS NWARECHE
          DANIEL KOREDE
          FEMI BALOGUN

FEMALES

1ST= HAFSAT BELLO-OSAGIE        3.5/6                                                                                             1ST= CHINYERE IGWENYERE         3.5/6
1ST= NIKE AYANLEYE                 3.5/6
1ST= DORIS ADEBAYO                3.5/6

NEXT FRIENDS OF CHESS TORNEY COMES UP IN SEPTEMBER!!

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Oking1(m): 7:57pm On Aug 17, 2009
Hello guys!!
i just saw this forum on chess and i was happy there that is finally a place i can discuss chess with people that understand the game.i played consistently till i left school,and now i only get to play good chess through the internet.the website i play on is Letsplaychess.com my rating there is 2217.just this weekend i was at the national stadium for some workout and i thought i should ask around for any gathering of chess players.sadly,i was told there has not been such gathering for some time now.

Is there any such gathering in the lagos area(i stay in surulere)? pls anyone with such information should pass it on course i cant wait to join.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 17, 2009
There's a friends of chess tournament coming up next month. also there's an NBL tournament next month

@ O King, we can meet at Ultimate chess club in surulere
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 10:01am On Aug 18, 2009
@ Fortissimo

What 's up? i need to hook up with thee on the chess thing. though i started the chess revolution on nairaland. i took a leave and my'actual ' chess has also nose dived, move reflex and all that. i need to know how far with the NBL and more. so i will know if i will come to lag or not though am extremely rusty. When is the NBL? you can text or call 08067446844. x pexting.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Oking1(m): 1:24pm On Aug 19, 2009
Fortissimo:

There's a friends of chess tournament coming up next month. also there's an NBL tournament next month

@ O King, we can meet at Ultimate chess club in surulere

@ Fortissimo
what is the NBL tournament about and where is it held?also where is the Ultimate chess club in surulere?
my No. is 07025029504
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 7:47pm On Aug 24, 2009
O king:

@ Fortissimo
what is the NBL tournament about and where is it held?also where is the Ultimate chess club in surulere?
my No. is 07025029504
NBL is a major chess event( usually held AT the national stadium surulere its a chess tournament with LADIES CATEGORY. OPENS 2 OPENS 1 and MASTERS CATEGORY !! ot is coming up next month---------i advise you to play in the Opens two if its your first time!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Oking1(m): 7:55am On Aug 25, 2009
[quote author=chessguru link=topic=178041.msg4414709#msg4414709 date=1251139621]
NBL is a major chess event( usually held AT the national stadium surulere its a chess tournament with LADIES CATEGORY. OPENS 2 OPENS 1 and MASTERS CATEGORY !! ot is coming up next month---------i advise you to play in the Opens two if its your first time!!
[quote][/quote]

i cant wait to join!! but exactly when is it starting,what location in the national stadium will it be held and what are the conditions for joining??
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 10:27am On Aug 25, 2009
@O king

I was told its between 20th and 27th but i need to confirm !!there is no requiremnt------when you get to the stadium check at the chess association------the banner should also say the exact hall ------either the basketball hall on the left at the entrance or the hall beside the sport institute hostel.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 2:11pm On Aug 25, 2009
whats the source of dashe's write up?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2009
@Oking

Another Guy told me NBL starts on the 14th  so be on the alert so as not to miss out. since its your first time.just go and have fun!! enjoy your self but while at that you can as well win the first prize if you can. familiarize your self with a few tournament rules,get your self a chess mat,and try practice for a while b4 the tournament in order to have good game reflex. As for the chessguru ( am reinventing myself- i may not be strong enough to play at the NBL (masters) this year but I WILL BECOME THE NATIONAL CHAMPION NEXT YEAR, and possibly end up being the first Nigerian GRAND MASTER-------To put it MODESTLY   cool  I AM THE FUTURE OF NIGERIAN CHESS !! THe Godfather of the chessunderworld!! 

@cooldude
the source is chessheight dot com
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 11:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
chessguru, IN YOUR MIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the last friends of chess, i called your number but you didnt pick, i knew you weren't there anyway cos i didnt see your name.
I had a nice outing, had 3/6 wrote it on facebook.
played the guy that came first in opens, played 2 guys in masters,
you can check this link for my write up
modified

I'll be @the NBL stuff and also next friends of chess.
Wish we could play b4 then.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 7:51am On Aug 27, 2009
cooldud62*:

chessguru, IN YOUR MIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the last friends of chess, i called your number but you didnt pick, i knew you weren't there anyway cos i didnt see your name.
I had a nice outing, had 3/6 wrote it on facebook.
played the guy that came first in opens, played 2 guys in masters,
you can check this link for my write up
modified

I'll be @the NBL stuff and also next friends of chess.
Wish we could play b4 then.

Hmnnn cool CYprain Eboka that guy you refer to is an old school mate- i need to add you on facebook then. i would have loved to come for the NBL but many many buts. am very rusty. i will like to see that your write up.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 7:06pm On Aug 27, 2009
@ ALL chess lovers=====UPDATES ON THE UP COMING NBL INTERNATIONAL CHESS TORNEY!!

Charles Campbell says------- ATTENTION ALL CHESS PLAYERS: It appears NBL have still not made up their minds about the date of the NBL chess championships. Firstly, arrival was fixed for 20th sept, then it was moved to 14th sept. Latest news emanating from them says the event wil, l now hold 'unchangingly' between sept 27(arrival) and oct 3rd(closing ceremony). The powers that be claim round 1 will hold 1pm on the 28th. When will we get serious?

That was the info national master charles campbell passed to all his chess friends on FACEBOOK!so watch out
so you wont miss out!! BE ALERT!!
  cool - Chessguru (Nigerian unofficial Grand master) grin
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Moyola(f): 7:48pm On Aug 27, 2009
Cooldud62*!
've searched errwhr 4 yu nauu! embarassed
I misz yu die! Wen we gon play 'our chess'. . .uhmmn?! cheesy

holla kiakia! wink
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 6:08pm On Sep 03, 2009
O king why play chess on letsplaychess.com.That s a waste of time because ur opponent wouldnt be online.Try gamecolony.com,thats still d best site to play chess i know of apart from yahoo chess.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 11:57pm On Sep 07, 2009
@chessguru, i will send a text to your cell to know how to add me on facebook.
@moyo sweerie, missed you loads. kiss kiss

@NBL, i also heard its been shifted to the 27th.
I'll be there.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 5:16pm On Sep 10, 2009
@cooldude
I have a number of FIDE official GMs as friends on facebook i plan to work with them to improve my chess to GM level, i should become an unoffocial GM b4 my next tournament. right now am working on my websites------------------------I am the chosen one!! NIGERIAN CHESS NEO!! cool if i catch you on top chess board ehn? ehn? i go sac queen for your head (i dont know how to treat a chess queen nicely lol) grin grin
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 6:55pm On Sep 20, 2009
This is a good thread,
my name is amalaguy and i play chess for my university and played @ kadagames 09 for a state name withheld
this is d latest info about NBL
NBL dates-28th sept-3rd oct 2009
registration fees-opens 1-N1050
opens 2-N850
not sure abt masters.
thank you.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 20, 2009
Hi where can one register
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 1:27am On Sep 21, 2009
You can register @ the venue during d opening ceremony,
i will confirm the venue and get back to the thread.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 3:19am On Sep 21, 2009
Wow thats Monday to Friday. Do you know about the time controls? I hope it isn't rapid play or blitz.
And I'm not very good so I hope there will be enough patzers in the opens category

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.