Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,826 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116142 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 10:51pm On Sep 21, 2009
yeah,i've made some more enquiries,

NBL chess tournament
reg. fees for ----- masters category-N1500
----- female cateory-N1050
Time control------ 1hr 30mins
Venue------national stadium,surelere

dont forget to bring your mats /& clocks

for more info. check my earlier posts or ask on this thread.
thank you
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2009
That's 1hr 30mins for 40 moves?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 11:29pm On Sep 21, 2009
Every Serious Chess player knows everything abt NBL info already.

@Fortissimo, what happened boiii
Me dont see you again, every GM was once a fish!
fact that i win you doesnt mean yo should run, thats how to get better.

Make sure you prepare for NBL, i see you didnt come for last friends of chess. it was nice.
Your line doesnt go tru any longer also, thought you were kidnapped grin
cheers bro.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 21, 2009
Hey dude. the phone is a bit faulty. it keeps switching off. Abeg yarn me about the friends of chess. I'm really looking forward to NBL. Hopefully we can meet on saturday for practice
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 21, 2009
I'm also going to need to buy a clock. any ideas for a simple user friendly clock? And please explain more on the time control. Is it 45mins + 45mins or 1hr 30mins + 1hr 30mins. And how many moves to reach the control
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 11:55pm On Sep 21, 2009
An average clock is 15k.
The time is 1hr 30 mins for 1st 40 moves, then extra mins for each move for the game to end. I can assure you most of the games will be over within 1st 40 moves.
Last friends of chess was nice, i didnt wait till they finished cos i had an engagement but i think small B and Bunmi shared 1st place, those guys are engines!
It was fun, if i played last match, woulda had 3/6. My last pairing was with an obvious fish so i just left, wasnt necessary playing him since 3/6 wont win anything.

Hope to see you soon. Takia
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 22, 2009
15K? Aahhhhhhh men i need one cheaper maybe 3k or somthin
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 9:54am On Sep 22, 2009
you mght not get a good clock for that price,maybe a used analog clock,
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2009
pls can anyone suggest an inexpensive hotel around surelere,should not cost more thn N5000,pref. somewhere close to the stadium and neat,
thnk you
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 22, 2009
I've heard of a place called stadium hotel. I doubt you can get neat hotel rooms for 5K Amalaguy are you a rated chess player. If not, can you give an estimate of your rating? I don't think this is the right thread to ask about hotels though
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 12:03am On Sep 23, 2009
thank you forts.,i have a rating of 1666 on FICS(free internet chess server),i don't think thats very accurate,but that's d closest estimate i have now, hope every1 is making plans for NBL, there was an open letter sent from ademola shorungbe this eveninng concerning NB sponsorship and NBL prizes,if you want a copy of the email,post your email address.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 5:40am On Sep 23, 2009
Wow thats not bad. 1666? dejijohnz@yahoo.com thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by amalaguy: 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2009
fortis.,i have forwarded the email to you,

So who here except me is going to be present for NBL,
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:42am On Sep 30, 2009
How s nbl going??I have always attended the competition but cant make it down this year cos i now work in ph,quite painful 4 me.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by zenus(m): 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2009
how many centers will they have
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 8:46am On Oct 05, 2009
Kighiga upstages Adebayo   To become the NIGERIAN CHESS CHAMPION!!

October 4, 2009 11:57PMT

Promising Bomo Kighiga and Phybian Omongbale have emerged as the new king and queen of Nigerian chess, at least for the next 12 months, after a brilliant play at the just-concluded 32nd Nigeria Breweries International Open Chess Championship which was held at the Media Centre of the National Stadium in Lagos.

Kighiga, who rose through the ranks as National Junior Master up to the Intermediate level and recently into the Masters category, played brilliantly in the nine-round Swiss event during which he overpowered defending champion, Adegboyega Adebayo, to become the champion for the second time in five years.

Past pedigree

The champion, who made a promising appearance at the last Chess Olympiad in Dresden, Germany, came back into reckoning in round seven with a valuable win against Adebayo, whom he defeated in a long game.

The former champion, playing with white pieces, had an overwhelming advantage at the opening stage but a faulty gamble in the middle of the game gave Kigigha the upper hand in minor piece ending.

The new champion with eight points won the star prize of N140,000, while Adebayo and Ajibola Olanrewaju are joint second with seven points.

Female category

In the female category, a new champion also emerged, with Phybian Omongbale as the clear best in the category with eight points from nine games.

The player, who secured her first championship victory, led all through from the start. She defeated Frances Debole in the opening round of games.

Hope Amadasun, Omoye Akhigbe, Lyan Ossai Folasayo Togun, Omolabake Coker all fell to her superior moves on the board but draws with Funmilayo Oyegunle and Rabiu Olabisi gave her a clear win over the remaining.

Last year’s winner, Oyegunle, was second with seven points while three-way ties emerged for third position with Rabiu Olabisi, Folasayo Togun, and Vivian Dzaayem all in the position.

In category one, Meshack Othman came top with 7.5 points while Michael Cole and Eugene Ekpoikong are second with seven points, just as Ninyan Nilson and Toyin Jeje placed third with 6.5 points.

Roland Dieyi ruled in category two with a perfect score of nine points and was followed by Temi Ijish with 7.5 points and a four-way tie for third place was among Micha Igubor, Victor Okiridu, Williams Ore and Abimbola Salami, all with seven points.

Yemi Owolabi came top in the U-14 section with 10.5 points while Olalekan Edunwale has 9.5 points and Success Enarevba placed third with 8 points.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/5466955-147/Kighiga_upstages_Adebayo___.csp

CHESSGURU     COMMENTS!!
Though i did not participate at the championship-still planning my comeback.   The present female national champion used to be my good sparing partner- i used to have her then for breakfast, lunch and dinner then on the chess board- but i know phybian omogbale is now a queen of the kings game -having come a long way and steadily improving on her game under coach peters in Edo state.

Roland Deiyi  an old school mate    got a perfect score in category two!? interesting - well Roland is no beginer in chess and  i honestly think all  this chess monsters should go to category one and play with their mates.nine out of nine!!is still outstanding because he probably met and won spoilers too.  LOL  congrats my boy roland. 'what happened to CY, Ranti and all the other guys?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 10:17am On Oct 05, 2009
When is the next Friends of Chess? November?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2009
Friends of chess takes place every other month, will have to wait till the date is set by the organisers
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 12:45am On Oct 13, 2009
damn, i pulled out, i played on table 1 though, chess players know what it is to play on table 1. I played in cat2, it was a nice experience.

@Fortissimo, i most likely will be @shoprite on saturday, maybe we can meet for one or two stakes, what ya think?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 13, 2009
@Cooldude Now you're talking! How was the experience? How many points did you garner?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 3:23pm On Oct 14, 2009
had 3/5 and pulled out.
call me guy, your phone na wa.
Is Saturday a done deal?

@chessguru, how you dey?
all those guys wey sabi play pack themselves full for opens 2,
anyway, i wasnt ready for it.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 8:22pm On Oct 16, 2009
http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=chcldig

for chess clocks. choose the one you want and i can get it for you.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2009
wake this thread up,where r all the chess lovers
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2009
We dey oo. How far with the next tourney?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 11:06pm On Nov 03, 2009
cool
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:24am On Nov 04, 2009
Get thee behind me, Femi.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cooldud62: 9:30am On Nov 04, 2009
lol, you know na,
see you on 14th at friends.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:49am On Nov 04, 2009
Is 'friends of chess' competition coming up on the 14th?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 04, 2009
Why do you say that? Do you think you're going to go far in chess?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:52am On Nov 30, 2009
Can we conclude that this thread is dead.No active posters for the past few weeks.Wake up,wake up
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by switch47(m): 2:10pm On Feb 04, 2010
Behind bobo:

Can we conclude that this thread is dead.No active posters for the past few weeks.Wake up,wake up
Nope. so how was friends?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2010
Chess livers on. Next -
Nigerian players are doing well internationaly. led by Allor chuks. details - soon!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.