Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,511 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran (12900 Views)

Lucky Boko Haram Survivor Warns Nigeria..(Photo & Video) / Iran Offers Nigeria Nuclear Technology / Boko Haram: Oyedepo Warns Nigeria On Imminent Break-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by DeepZone: 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2008
US warns Nigeria over nuclear weapons
•Stay away from Iran, rogue states

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The United States of America has warned Nigeria not to rely on what top administration officials described as rogue nation's in it's quest to acquire nuclear technology. White House Spokeswoman, Dana Perino, said Washington was closely monitoring the growing clamour by Abuja to join the elite group of nuclear nations with great apprehension.

"It's a concern that is shared by the administration about the spread of nuclear materials. We are also concerned about Nigeria's discussions with Iran on the acquisition of nuclear materials, when the country is in breach of a United Nation's mandate to make public it's nuclear programs," she said.

The administration was reacting to a statement by the Minister of Science and Technology, Mrs. Grace Ekpiwhre, that the government will continue efforts to build nuclear power plants as an answer to the country's electricity needs. Mrs Ekpiwhre spoke at the commissioning of a Tandem Accelerator at the Obafemi Awolowo University.

According to her, "Nuclear technology development is human capital intensive, thus laying the foundation for our national nuclear power programme, which must be anchored on growing a competent and professional workforce."

Foreign Affairs Minister, Ojo Maduekwe, has denied the country wants nuclear weapons from Iran after Washington protested to Aso Rock on the deal.

Administration officials have also expressed worry about Nigeria's poor security and the possibility of its nuclear materials falling into the hands of terrorist organizations.

The State Department has listed Nigeria as a prime target for terrorist attack, warning the Al-Quida already has havens in the country and recruiting unemployed youths to fill it's ranks. "Nigeria has a weak security system that might encourage terror organizations to make attempts at either stealing or buying nuclear materials from crooked officials and that is a nightmare scenario for the administration. Why we respect the country's sovereignty, we are also bound to prevent the possibility that such materials might fall into the wrong hands," a Pentagon official stated.

The 1.7mw nuclear accelerator device was installed at the OAU Centre for Energy Research and Development (CFERD).

Performing the inauguration of the nuclear accelerator device, otherwise called tandem accelerator, the minister noted that the society must be supported by a solid industrial base founded on science and technology to achieve socio-economic development.

The nuclear facility, she added, would be used for basic and applied researches in food, agriculture, environmental studies, industry, manpower training and material science.

Mrs. Ekpiwhre explained that the facility was to help improve the nation’s application of nuclear technology, stressing that Nigeria and Iran had signed an agreement on nuclear cooperation last month in Abuja .

Going by the agreement, Iran will provide civil nuclear technology to the country, she viewed and called on the science and technology community to make effective use of the tandem facility to justify the huge resources government and developmental partners invested on it.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/oct/2/503.html
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by DeepZone: 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2008
I don't know why Yaramugu is romancing Iran of all people.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by grafikdon: 10:13pm On Oct 02, 2008
Yaradua is a sharia apologist so I am not surprised regarding his romance with delirious jihadists. . .
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by DeepZone: 10:37pm On Oct 02, 2008
Yaradua is a sharia apologist so I am not surprised regarding his romance with delirious jihadists. . .
So true. Nigeria@1 warned about this development but Nairaland laughed it off.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by blackspade(m): 10:47pm On Oct 02, 2008
I'm growing very agitated with America sticking their big noses into out Affairs. The reason for Nuclear research in Nigeria, is to solve constant power problems, not to arm ourselves with Nuclear Arms. Day by Day, it's continually starting to feel like a "New World Order" is trying to form. . . angry
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by texazzpete(m): 12:23am On Oct 03, 2008
Yet another misleading title. There's nothing in the article to suggest that 'nuclear weapons' even came up. The two main facts were

1. The US expressing concern that Nigeria is flirting with a 'rogue nation' for Nuclear technology
2. Apprehension over the possible appropriation of radioactive materials from Nigeria's future reactors, especially given Nigeria's track record for corruption and mismanagement.

As i said before, misleading title.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Oct 03, 2008
blackspade:

I'm growing very agitated with America sticking their big noses into out Affairs. The reason for Nuclear research in Nigeria, is to solve constant power problems, not to arm ourselves with Nuclear Arms. Day by Day, it's continually starting to feel like a "New World Order" is trying to form. . . angry

Did you even bother to read the article? Or anything at all on the subject?
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by auwal87(m): 1:27am On Oct 03, 2008
It is like this;

USA is an Energy Hungry Nation and is targeting all Energy Rich Nations to feed itself, and using Al Qaeda as a tool for that.

History will prove the above statement. Take Note.

2 Likes

Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Busybody2(f): 1:35am On Oct 03, 2008
Caring, selfless USA is only worried and apprehensive of Nigeria's association with that rogue state Iran. They are just expressing their concern and losing sleep over the issue, to the extent that a Pentagon official categorically stated that even though "we respect the country's sovereignty, we are also bound to prevent the possibility that such materials might fall into the wrong hands" shocked cool

Yes, Deepzone, you need to change the topic pronto, there is no warning whatsoever in that write-up, only threats obligation from the leader of the New World Order of the comical bond that binds them to Nigeria undecided

1 Like

Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by blackspade(m): 2:28am On Oct 03, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Did you even bother to read the article? Or anything at all on the subject?
Yes I did. The reason I made my comment, because I know exactly what America is trying to "get at". Who are they to tell Nigeria not to associate with a country, where they can't even prove they have nuclear arms? It may not say that in those exact words in the article, but anyone who is capable of putting anything in perspective, can see that's what they're trying to say.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Kobojunkie: 4:05am On Oct 03, 2008
Well, since you know it all when it comes to America, I guess the only thing I can say to you is carry on.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by frag(m): 4:36am On Oct 03, 2008
blackspade:

Yes I did. The reason I made my comment, because I know exactly what America is trying to "get at". Who are they to tell Nigeria not to associate with a country, where they can't even prove they have nuclear arms? It may not say that in those exact words in the article, but anyone who is capable of putting anything in perspective, can see that's what they're trying to say.

Hmmmm . Mr America
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by texazzpete(m): 10:21am On Oct 03, 2008
blackspade:

The USA has NEVER insinuated that Iran has nuclear weapons. they've never tried to prove that either. They know the Iranians are still several years away from constructing a nuclear device, but they are convinced that the Iranian nuclear programme is geared towards making a bomb and they are trying to prevent this.

For years US defense has worried over a more likely nuclear treat: dirty bombs. these are far easier to obtain than Nuclear weapons and can cause dangerous radioactive fallout. As such, they tend to keep a close eye on sources of radioactivity around the world. Nigeria has a history of mismanagement and misappropriation, so they are bound to view any Nuclear gist from Naija with some apprehension.

The title is misleading in that it gives an impression of the US threatening Nigeria over plans to acquire nuclear weapons. Untrue
auwal87:

USA is an Energy Hungry Nation and is targeting all Energy Rich Nations to feed itself, and using Al Qaeda as a tool for that.

The US using Al Qaeda as a tool? C'mon man, that's lame logic at best.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Mpele(m): 11:38am On Oct 03, 2008
Why do Americans like to meddle their big noses into other countries affairs. Isn't Nigeria a sovereign state, if so then Nigeria have a right to associate with any other country or embark on producing nucleur weapons.
Who in the first place instructed the US to be the leader of the world. This ain't funny, these people are bloody irritating.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Epiphany(m): 11:45am On Oct 03, 2008
, But wait please! Lets all be realistic here and very honest with ourselves.

Forgetting the nuclear technology excuse, whether for energy or power or weapons, WHAT THE HELL IS NIGERIA FLIRTING WITH IRAN FOR? IRAN, IRAN, IRAN. There are other countries that we can actually form alliances with that will yield some mutual benefits, BUT IRAN?
There has not been anything positive, developmental or encouraging, coming from that country that i fail to see why Nigeria, A WHOLE NIGERIA, will want to belittle herself to form an alliance with them.

At this stage, if we are where we are supposed to be, we should be HELPING that country overcome their problems!
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Kobojunkie: 1:08pm On Oct 03, 2008
No @Epiphany, please do not ask those questions of these cause according to the reasoning America is to be the focus for expressing some sort of concern where it comes to the relationship between Nigeria and Iran. We should never ask why Iran of all places because America is the EVIL country here that is at fault. We should not read stories and make sure we have facts cause as long as America is involved, we already have our offender.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by sleekp1: 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2008
Why is the US always losing sleep over other peoples nuclear ambitions? Is this because the US want's to continually maintain the status quo. When will the tards in Washington learn that the days of master servant relationship ended 30years ago.
I actually think the US gets worked up about nuclear weapons because the United States remain the only country that has used nuclear weapons.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by bawomolo(m): 4:56pm On Oct 03, 2008
Mpele:

if so then Nigeria have a right to associate with any other country or[b] embark on producing nucleur weapons[/b].

this must be a joke. a country like nigeria that can't even produce long-range missiles producing a nuclear warhead grin grin. the US wants nigeria to think and act smartly. signing MOU's with irrelevant countries doesn't benefit naija at all
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by texazzpete(m): 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2008
I'm tired of repeating this over and over.

The US is scared because they know what havoc errant radioactive material can wreak in the hands of terrorists.
It's difficult enough securing radioactive waste even in the US, not to talk of a country like Nigeria.

We live in a country that is short-sighted, hence we can freely condemn other countries that try to think years ahead.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Kenezi: 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2008
The USA simply does not want a black African country or Iran to develop, because if they do, they won't be able to tell them what to do, especially since Iran has massive amounts of oil, and the same to a lesser extent in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by DeepZone: 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2008
this must be a joke. a country like nigeria that can't even produce long-range missiles producing a nuclear warhead Grin Grin. the US wants nigeria to think and act smartly. signing MOU's with irrelevant countries doesn't benefit naija at all
Good.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by RichyBlacK(m): 8:09pm On Oct 03, 2008
Kenezi:

The USA simply does not want a black African country or Iran to develop, because if they do, they won't be able to tell them what to do, especially since Iran has massive amounts of oil, and the same to a lesser extent in Nigeria.

Good.

1 Like

Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Kobojunkie: 8:15pm On Oct 03, 2008
Kenezi:

UNBEWEABLE!!! shocked
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by BLT: 10:13pm On Oct 03, 2008
Friends, we ought to listen to texazzpete. He has a valid point. The US concern in this article has nothing to do with having a stronghold over another soverign state but with the security of the radioactive materials Nigeria would be looking to obtain.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by bilymuse: 10:32pm On Oct 03, 2008
Which nuclear weapon!
Ajaokuta steel rolling mill was started more than 30 years ago, up till today they haven't finished it, with billions of debt outstanding.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Horus(m): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2008
Today, some countries in Africa have also decided to exploit nuclear energy technology to boost their power supply. Nigeria is one such country. However, in harnessing the technology, Nigeria faces some challenges. How to reduce radiation risk and manage the waste?. What about secret nuclear weapon production?
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Gamine(f): 7:25pm On Nov 18, 2008
haha

My country that loves Flying

before she even grow leg,

it is well o
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Dayco(m): 5:51am On Jul 02, 2009
I hope you guys knows what country Iran is. Huh! Nothing good comes out from them,i think i prefer China in this case to Iran. Atleast,remember the dids of this very man and think twice about the Al Qaeda angry

Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by Tudor6(f): 7:25am On Jul 02, 2009
All these talk about naija and nuclear reactors. . .i forsee another chernobyl disaster. . .
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by dnex(m): 8:55am On Jul 02, 2009
That Administration in the USA must be crazy to warn or advice us on anything nuclear related.

We all signed the Non Proliferation Treaty and in that document, it says that countries like Nigeria who didn't have nuclear technology should refrain from Nuclear Technology and in return, the countries that already had Nuclear weapons and had advanced deep into nuclear technology will provide the Non-Nuclear nations with all civilian nuclear technology they require including medical and power generation, and also, the nuclear countries will go ahead to start cutting back on their nuclear weapons immediately the NPT was signed so that in the nearest future, all would have no nuclear weapons.

It's been decades since we signed that agreement and though Nigeria and several other nations have kept their own part of the bargain, stay off Nuclear Weapons, but so long as we have waited, none of these countries like USA, Russia, France or the UK have come forward to build us our FREE nuclear power plants. None of them have cut back on their nuclear arsenal, instead we hear of newer more destructive weapons.

So you want to blame India, Pakistan, South Africa, Israel or Iran that went to do things for themselves?

Stay there and keep waiting. I'm sure most of you do not know the benefits associated with signing the NPT if not you will now realise that we are not the ones defaulting. It is actually those on the United Nations Security Council that have refused to live by the document they created.

Well, if the USA is so concerned about Nuclear Weapons, then they should fulfil their obligations as enshrined in the NPT which they basically wrote. Build nuclear power plants in Nigeria, Iran, North Korea, Columbia, Sierra Leone, Jamaica, Cuba, or just SHUT THE HELL UP!!!
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by ocelot2006(m): 12:19pm On Aug 31, 2009
The last time I checked, the Federal Republic of Nigeria was a non-aligned nation. Therefore we reserve the right to make friends with who ever we want whenever we want.
Re: US Warns Nigeria Over Nuclear Technology And Iran by ocelot2006(m): 12:20pm On Aug 31, 2009
Epiphany:

, But wait please! Lets all be realistic here and very honest with ourselves.

Forgetting the nuclear technology excuse, whether for energy or power or weapons, WHAT THE HELL IS NIGERIA FLIRTING WITH IRAN FOR? IRAN, IRAN, IRAN. There are other countries that we can actually form alliances with that will yield some mutual benefits, BUT IRAN?
There has not been anything positive, developmental or encouraging, coming from that country that i fail to see why Nigeria, A WHOLE NIGERIA, will want to belittle herself to form an alliance with them.

At this stage, if we are where we are supposed to be, we should be HELPING that country overcome their problems!

And what's wrong with Iran?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

$1.5bn Lagos-ibadan Fast Rail: FEC Gets Cost Overrun Request From Amaechi / Tanker Drivers’ Protest In Niger State Takes New Turn / Zamfara: Supreme Court Affirms Gov Lawal-Dare (PDP), Dismisses APC's Suit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.