Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,099 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:53 AM

Ugly Britain - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ugly Britain (106569 Views)

Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / Nigerians, Highest Number Of African Criminals In Britain - UK Home Office / Immigrants To Pay Fee To Enter Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Go Down)

Re: Ugly Britain by bawomolo(m): 4:44am On Oct 09, 2008
lol funny thread
Re: Ugly Britain by agaba123(m): 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2008
cryptobuzz:

Pafun please allow me,

One of the most famous british singers, murdering pubic lice,

lmfao
This guy no go kill me.
Re: Ugly Britain by shotster50(m): 4:38pm On Oct 09, 2008
this is nasty!!!
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 8:40pm On Oct 09, 2008

SOME WORRYING ANNOUNCEMENTS I'VE HEARD AT THE TUBE STATIONS LATELY

1) 'Ladies and Gentlemen, I do apologize for the delay to your service. I know you're all dying to get home, unless, of course, you happen to be married to my ex-wife, in which case you'll want to cross over to the Westbound and go in the opposite direction.'

2) 'Do you want the good news first or the bad news? The good news is that last Friday was my birthday and I hit the town and had a great time. The bad news is that there is a points failure somewhere between Stratford and East Ham, which means we probably won't reach our destination.'( Okay I know there is no service between Stratford and Eastham , but that's the joke innit ?)

3) 'Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but there is a security alert at Victoria station and we are therefore stuck here for the foreseeable future, so let's take our minds off it and pass some time together. All together now, 'Ten green bottles, hanging on a wall, '.'

4) 'Beggars are operating on this train. Please do NOT encourage these professional beggars. If you have any spare change, please give it to a registered charity. Failing that, give it to me.'

5) During an extremely hot rush hour on the Central Line, the driver announced in a broad West Indian accent: 'Step right this way for the sauna, ladies and gentleman, '

6) 'Let the passengers off the train FIRST!' (Pause .) 'Oh go on then, stuff yourselves in like sardines, see if I care - I'm going home, '

7) 'Please allow the doors to close. Try not to confuse this with 'Please hold the doors open.' The two are distinct and separate instructions.'

cool 'Please note that the beeping noise coming from the doors means that the doors are about to close. It does not mean throw yourself or your bags into the doors.'

9) 'To the gentleman wearing the long grey coat trying to get on the second carriage - what part of 'stand clear of the doors' don't you understand?'

10) 'Please move all baggage away from the doors.' (Pause, ) 'Please move ALL belongings away from the doors.' (Pause, ) 'This is a personal message to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train: Put the pie down, Four-eyes, and move your bl**dy golf clubs away from the door before I come down there and (the rest is censored!)'

11) 'May I remind all passengers that there is strictly no smoking allowed on any part of the Underground. However, if you are smoking a joint, it's only fair that you pass it round the rest of the carriage.'

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2008
[img]http://blogs.taz.de/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs.dir/44/files/2007/02/043%20overcrowded%20train%20India.jpg
[/img]
Sorry wrong photo ; this is India (remember they were once supposed to come revamp our railways grin grin)

Have a nice weekend. We will resume again next week. , God Save Da Queen.

PS See something that I ran into : http://www.rateoga.com/?q=node/136
Re: Ugly Britain by agaba123(m): 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2008
sarcasm grin
Re: Ugly Britain by bawomolo(m): 2:43am On Oct 10, 2008
nice pictures, Old chap wink
Re: Ugly Britain by emonkey(m): 10:34am On Oct 11, 2008
pafun:

God Save Da Queen !! . from you ?
LMAO cheesy
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2008
pafun:

[img]http://blogs.taz.de/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs.dir/44/files/2007/02/043%20overcrowded%20train%20India.jpg
[/img]
Sorry wrong photo ; this is India (remember they were once supposed to come revamp our railways grin grin)

What railways? Naija get mout to talk of India railways when they are light years away from getting a mass publication service up and running themselves. The nerve!

grin grin

11) 'May I remind all passengers that there is strictly no smoking allowed on any part of the Underground. However, if you are smoking a joint, it's only fair that you pass it round the rest of the carriage.'

Too funny!

pafun:

By the way that BBC page has not been updated for more than a year !! (shows how efficient and organised they are innit ? ) So we are really helping them out here and updating for them , free of charge ; with love from Naijah wink wink

Oh please, and when was the last time you got any news about real issues in Nigeria from the Nigerian press? A mean about the majority of the Nigerians in Nigeria living in squalor and not about how one governor or the other chop money or throw one owambe like that Also posting pics of crack heads whose problems are mostly self-inflicted is simply a smack in the face to the real people living in poverty in Britain not like you care anyway.

You complain about negative stories about Nigerians in the foreign press but what are the Nigerian press doing to appease this problem that you speak of?

Yes God save the Queen and to the others who enquired, no I can't be deported. Furthermore to any of those who are losing sleep over a person defending their country of birth(Britain) then they can go and jump in the river and give us all a break!

Good day to you!
Re: Ugly Britain by kadman(m): 1:43pm On Oct 12, 2008
EloSela:

Furthermore to any of those who are losing sleep over a person defending their country of birth(Britain) then they can go and jump in the river and give us all a break!

Why don't you jump in first and give yourself the break you deserve. Since Britain is your place of birth,find britishland.com and sit your ass there. Rubbish !

1 Like

Re: Ugly Britain by cold(m): 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2008
Kai Pafun u dey try!Not to worry i'l soon join u on this thread with pictures of my own idea of a bird's eye view of Britain.Some of our compatriots bak home think this is a country with streets paved with gold.
Re: Ugly Britain by hbrednic: 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2008
panfu,
very funny pics, abeg give us more jare,anybody weh wan die make i die kia kia.

God save da queen indeed grin
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 4:34pm On Oct 12, 2008
kadman:

Why don't you jump in first and give yourself the break you deserve. Since Britain is your place of birth,find britishland.com and sit your ass there. Rubbish !

Britishland?, Nigerialand?, whatever just don't make an ass of yourself by trying to tell me which sites to visit on the internet. grin

The fact still remains that Nigeria is still light years behind the Uk and the rest of the developed world. Nigeria with other countries such as Singapore, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Good ol' USA among others were all colonies of Great Britain at some point, yet Nigeria is the only country that hasn't moved forward since 1960, with nearly half the population lining up outside foreign embassies as we speak trying to get visas.

Pitiful!

Ask yourself why instead of posting carefully selective pictures of the UK in a pitiful attempt to somehow prove that Nigeria's non-existent infrastructure can somehow match up to that in the UK, the first industrialised and developed nation in the world. grin grin comparing London's tube system, the first such transport system in the world to Lagos broken down bus system is a complete piss take!
Re: Ugly Britain by ikeyman00(m): 6:04pm On Oct 12, 2008
elosela

why does the pic border u so much

mind u some of us here lives in UK!! just wondering

are u from ijebu village
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2008
EloSela:

Britishland?, Nigerialand?, whatever just don't make an ass of yourself by trying to tell me which sites to visit on the internet. grin

The fact still remains that Nigeria is still light years behind the Uk and the rest of the developed world. Nigeria with other countries such as Singapore, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Good ol' USA among others were all colonies of Great Britain at some point, yet Nigeria is the only country that hasn't moved forward since 1960, with nearly half the population lining up outside foreign embassies as we speak trying to get visas.

Pitiful!

Ask yourself why instead of posting carefully selective pictures of the UK in a pitiful attempt to somehow prove that Nigeria's non-existent infrastructure can somehow match up to that in the UK, the first industrialised and developed nation in the world. grin grin comparing London's tube system, the first such transport system in the world to Lagos broken down bus system is a complete piss take!

Why are you taking this so personal sir ? There are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in the UK and you alone chose to fight not only for them all but even for everybody in UK (without their permission) because someone showed unpleasant pictures about UK . When pictures of Nigeria (and any part of Africa) is shown in the UK media do they go to VI to take pictures ? No they go to Amukoko , swamps of Niger Delta and the places where people are dying of hunger and starvation in the deserts to take their photos . And the foolish Nigerians abroad keep their head down and agree so that they don't get thrown out . And when they show pictures of their own country it is always the nice places that they publicise , so that Africans can keep coming here to become slaves . How tragic ; in the past they brought our people here in chains ; these days they show us beautiful pictures and we struggle to purchase our way into slavery- with our own money. Kai !!. Black man , take stock of yourself.

Even if the real citizens (not those that borrowed British name) see these pictures they will just shake their head and laugh , but Nigerian slave go draw dagger begin kill everybody because them insult him master. I am sorry for you sir .

This photo album is not to "compare" UK with Nigeria . It is just meant to expose the lies that we Nigerians tell ourselves and our people at home. Did you read about D-ick Whittington when you were a child ? London has never been paved in gold and even the British recognise this and admonish their children about this. Peace.

PS : Ijebu ke ? God forbid bad thing. We no want this kind person for Yoruba area . We don't want people who use their left hand to describe their father's house. True true the man na British man.
grin grin
Re: Ugly Britain by blueprint7(m): 8:19pm On Oct 12, 2008
pafun:

Why are you taking this so personal sir ? There are hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in the UK and you alone chose to fight not only for them all but even for everybody in UK (without their permission) because someone showed unpleasant pictures about UK . When pictures of Nigeria (and any part of Africa) is shown in the UK media do they go to VI to take pictures ? No they go to Amukoko , swamps of Niger Delta and the places where people are dying of hunger and starvation in the deserts to take their photos . And the foolish Nigerians abroad keep their head down and agree so that they don't get thrown out . And when they show pictures of their own country it is always the nice places that they publicise , so that Africans can keep coming here to become slaves . How tragic ; in the past they brought our people here in chains ; these days they show us beautiful pictures and we struggle to purchase our way into slavery !!. Black man , take stock of yourself.

Even if the real citizens (not those that borrowed British name) see these pictures they will just shake their head and laugh , but Nigerian slave go draw dagger begin kill everybody because them insult him master. I am sorry for you sir .

This photo album is not to "compare" UK with Nigeria . It is just meant to expose the lies that we Nigerians tell ourselves and our people at home. Did you read about D-ick Whittington when you were a child ? London has never been paved in gold and even the British recognise this and admonish their children about this. Peace.
[i]
PS : Ijebu ke ? God forbid bad thing. We no want this kind person for Yoruba area . We don't want people who use their left hand to describe their father's house. True true the man na British man.[/

bro keep it up! i love the reason behind your reasoning.
Re: Ugly Britain by kadman(m): 8:55pm On Oct 12, 2008
EloSela:

Pitiful!

The poster wasn't making any[i] attempt to somehow prove that Nigeria's non-existent infrastructure can somehow match up to that in the UK[/i]. He was making a funny thread to show another side of UK that Nigerians living in Nigeria do not get to see. Until paranoid people like you started hanging your shit on the thread.
Re: Ugly Britain by KarmaMod(f): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2008

Why are you even replying the twit. She would sincerely sell her sole for the UK. simple amusing thread making fun of things here and there and she's there foaming at the mouth like the rabid british dog that she is.

abegi, that thing is NOT Yoruba, don't even think about saying such.
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 4:33am On Oct 13, 2008
ikeyman00:

elosela

why does the pic border u so much

mind u some of us here lives in UK!! just wondering

are u from ijebu village

It doesn't bother me much at all, but as I stated I didn't see the point in this thread seen as the poster's main aim for posting such pics was because he felt that the foreign press only focused on negatives on Nigeria and only showed their positive of their own. I was responding because I didn't agree and was not aware that that was not allowed.

kadman:

The poster wasn't  making any[i] attempt to somehow prove that Nigeria's non-existent infrastructure can somehow match up to that in the UK[/i]. He was making a funny thread to show another side of UK that Nigerians living in Nigeria do not get to see. Until paranoid people like you started hanging your shit on the thread.

Ah right. . . I don't know where in my post you sensed paranoia and I also didn't realise that it was supposed to a funny thread. Maybe the poster should have added a disclaimer of some sorts as I am not in the mind reading business and so can only most times take what I read on here at face value and not do some analysis to decide whether a thread is in jest or not especially when the words are clearly stating something else. If you can then good for you! grin

pafun:

Why are you taking this so personal sir ? There are  hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in the UK  and you alone chose  to fight not only for them all  but even for everybody in  UK (without their permission) because someone showed unpleasant pictures about UK . When pictures of Nigeria (and any part of Africa) is shown in the UK media do they go to VI to take pictures ? No they go to Amukoko , swamps of Niger Delta and the places where people are dying of hunger  and starvation in the deserts  to take their photos . And the foolish Nigerians abroad keep their head down and agree so that they don't get thrown out . And when they show pictures of their own country it is always the nice places that they publicise , so that Africans can keep coming here to become slaves . How tragic ; in the past they brought our people here in chains ; these days they show us beautiful pictures and we struggle to purchase our way into slavery- with our own money. Kai  !!. Black man , take stock of yourself.

Even if the real citizens (not those that borrowed British name) see these pictures they will just shake their head and laugh , but Nigerian  slave go  draw dagger begin kill everybody because them insult him master. I am sorry for you sir .

This photo album is not to "compare" UK with Nigeria . It is just meant to expose the lies that we Nigerians tell ourselves and our people at home. Did you read about D-ick  Whittington when you were a child ? London has never been paved in gold and even the British recognise this and admonish their children about this. Peace.

PS :  Ijebu ke  ? God forbid bad thing. We no want this kind person for Yoruba area . We don't want people who use their left hand to describe their father's house. True true the man na British man.
grin grin

First of, I am not a 'sir'

What in your world is a 'real' citizen?

So now if I am to understand your reasoning correctly the foreign press should only be allowed to go to places like VI and such areas to take pictures of Nigerians who have somehow managed to make it despite putting up with an incompetent government even though they are the minority? How does that help the regular common man in Nigeria. . .?

Why wouldn't they show the swamps of the Niger delta? My family are directly from that region with several relatives still living there. I have no qualms whatsoever because I have been there and that is exactly how it is. This is the part of Nigeria that basically subsidises the whole of the country with their rich oil lands yet one wouldn't know from looking at it. My people in that region of Nigeria regularly suffer without a decent water system, non-existent power supply, poor security, no basic health facilities and bad roads plus the threat of armed attacks and yet the Nigerian press doesn't feel the need to highlight the plight of the good people of that region but I am supposed to get some sort of pleasure out of a few pictures of crackheads and drug addicts in Britain in payback for showing the truth about Nigeria?

Maybe your people live it up in Abuja or in the rich areas of Lagos and you would rather the global world see this minority but again how does that benefit the common man on the streets of Lagos? Who speaks for the poor man and his family who are unceremoniously thrown out of his swamp dwellings by Fashola in order to build houses and flashy apartments that only the rich minority of Nigeria can afford?

I don't know about you but to me those foreign articles that show Nigeria how it really is, is in a way a positive because then at least the poor people living in squalid conditions, suffering and smiling under the injustice that their own government that has meted out to them somehow get a look in.

As I said the Nigerian press is not concerned about highlighting the plight of these good people to the the world and so the foreign press might as well do it. At least then world organisations such as the UN will be able to pressure the Nigerian government to step up and take action instead of allowing them to get away scot free with looting the countries wealth for their own personal benefit while Nigerians live in squalor and struggle to get by every day.

You may ask what I, a person of Nigerian, of descent is doing to help . . .Well I am not a government official and I do help in small ways as I as an individual can manage but I have always felt that any major contribution that I will ever make will be to highlight the real state of Nigeria to all and sundry. brushing it under the carpet and crying foul every time a true but negative story is shown in the press about the country is in my book is only enabling the corruption and incompetence that the Nigerian government has become so known for to go ahead unnoticed. You may feel that the best way to counteract it is to throw a wobbly and show pictures of poor Britain but as I said I don't see the point as the British press do not tend to hide the bad and the not so right in their society or go on the defensive like Nigerians do. It is all there to see in black and white on their websites no bars held.

The streets of Britain are far from paved in gold, but it still trumps Nigeria with all her oil and wealth and many Nigerians know that that is why they are at the UK embassy now risking arm and leg to get a visa. Whether you like it or not Nigeria is a very troubled giant of Africa at 48 with absolutely no idea on how to make her oil money benefit all Nigerians and it looks like it will forever remain in that state until someone in Nigeria starts speaking up for the whole of Nigeria and not just the rich.

KarmaMod:

Why are you even replying the twit. She would sincerely sell her sole for the UK. simple amusing thread making fun of things here and there and she's there foaming at the mouth like the rabid british dog that she is.

abegi, that thing is NOT Yoruba, don't even think about saying such.

Your mother is a twit you ignorant piece of shit! Take your bitter immature ass over there and shut the f*ck up. Uptight obnoxious bitch! In future keep your dirty sour diseased mouth out of anything I write on here and everything will be cool.
Re: Ugly Britain by landis(m): 9:54am On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

The streets of Britain are far from paved in gold, but it still trumps Nigeria with all her oil and wealth and many Nigerians know that that is why they are at the UK embassy now risking arm and leg to get a visa. Whether you like it or not Nigeria is a very troubled giant of Africa at 48 with absolutely no idea on how to make her oil money benefit all Nigerians and it looks like it will forever remain in that state until someone in Nigeria starts speaking up for the whole of Nigeria and not just the rich.

why dont you start by asking UK to send back Abacha's $2.1billion?

why dont you start by asking Queen to return all the Benin artifacts.

why dont you start by asking Lloyd to return the profit of the slave trade

why dont you start by asking Queen to stop giving safe-heaven to Nigeria Rich Thieves.
Re: Ugly Britain by kadman(m): 10:41am On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

Your mother is a twit you ignorant piece of shit! Take your bitter immature ass over there and shut the f*ck up. Uptight obnoxious bitch! In future keep your dirty sour diseased mouth out of anything I write on here and everything will be cool.

Can you see the useless sort of individuals being bred in the UK ? You're dissing someone's mother ? Someone who is more articulate and smarter than you can ever hope to be. You're disgusting and a disgrace to yourself if that's the best to can resort to.
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 10:45am On Oct 13, 2008
@elosela

Sorry Madam for calling you sir but as you realise very many people register in forums like this under false names and gender so pardon me. I really never read long posts but from the little that I glean from yours it is clear that even though you are certainly not thick you still do not know what this thread is about or you really need to get a life. It is not about vendetta nor gratification, so I have a problem with your use of such phrases as

I am supposed to get some sort of pleasure out of a few pictures of crackheads and drug addicts in Britain in payback for showing the truth about Nigeria.

Dear Madam, nobody gives a freaky f*** about what gives you pleasure , and about "payback" and "counteract", they only exists in your mind and I am sure not in the mind of anyone else who has been reading this thread. So maybe the guy who suggested paranoia does have a point afterall.

If you have been reading Nigerian newspapers I am sure you will eat your words and need to drink plenty of tea with them. The papers ceaselessly show pictures of where things have gone wrong , and I am sure Yaradua together with his ministers may be some the most criticised people alive today , and he would have resigned if he thought that would solve the problem in Nigeria. But some funny Nigerians stay far away and make up situations in Nigeria in their head with assistance of the foreign Yellow press and come to their own misguided, conceited and prejudiced conclusion. As a matter of fact the UK has also for some years been facing a great exodus of their productive citizens (not sit-tight foreign low quality immigrant labour) to other countries like Australia, New Zealand,USA, Canada and other parts of Europe. It's a free world , and some of us travel worldwide to sell our services wherever we can get the most from it - I do.That is how to make progress with your life , and not by sitting in the cold and cursing your enemies.

Once again, the message of this thread is : poverty and suffering exists everywhere in the world and even in the richest countries, full stop.

I wonder how this resonates with your "In Jesus' name, I love you!" signature . A lot of very fake , hypocritical foreign Christian Nigerians about, innit ? grin grin
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 11:29am On Oct 13, 2008
kadman:

Can you see the useless sort of individuals being bred in the UK ? You're dissing someone's mother ? Someone who is more articulate and smarter than you can ever hope to be. You're disgusting and a disgrace to yourself if that's the best to can resort to.

Am I supposed to care that you think someone who resorted to abuse in the first instance because they had nothing intelligent to say  is allegedly smarter and articulate than myself

Please!

As I always say if one can dish it out then be prepared to eat it up and that thing should be eating a whole truck load of shit for all the spiteful comments they constantly like to spew on these boards when faced with a differing opinion! That being said the only disgrace on here is the fact that you actually think that the female dog actually has some sense!

landis:

why don't you start by asking UK to send back Abacha's $2.1billion?

why don't you start by asking Queen to return all the Benin artifacts.

why don't you start by asking Lloyd to return the profit of the slave trade

why don't you start by asking Queen to stop giving safe-heaven to Nigeria Rich Thieves.

The joke is is that even if all those things were returned Nigerian still wouldn't be better off.

All the artifacts would probably end up in some governor's house. Abacha's millions would be split among the Nigerian senators as would profit from the slave trade and the Nigerian thieves would probably bribe someone in government to let them off scot free to continue thieving! grin grin grin

pafun:

@elosela

Sorry Madam for calling you sir but as you realise very many people register in forums like this under false names and gender so pardon me. I really never read long posts but from the little that I glean  from yours it is clear that even though you are certainly not thick you still do not know what this thread is about or you really need to get a life. It is not about vendetta nor gratification, so I have a problem with your use of such phrases as

Dear Madam, nobody gives a freaky f*** about what gives you pleasure , and about "payback"  and "counteract", they only exists in your mind and I am sure not in the mind of anyone else who has been reading this thread. So maybe the guy who suggested paranoia does have a point afterall.

If you have been reading Nigerian newspapers I am sure you will eat your words and need to drink plenty of tea with them. The papers ceaselessly show pictures of where things have gone wrong , and I am sure Yaradua together with his ministers may be some the most criticised people alive today , and he would have resigned if he thought that would solve the problem in Nigeria. But some funny Nigerians stay far away and make up situations in Nigeria in their head with assistance of the foreign Yellow press and come to their own misguided, conceited and prejudiced conclusion. As a matter of fact the UK has also for some years been facing a great exodus of their productive citizens (not sit-tight  foreign low quality immigrant labour) to other countries like Australia, New Zealand,USA, Canada and other parts of Europe. It's a free world , and some of us travel worldwide to sell our services wherever we can get the most from it - I do.That is how to make progress with your life , and not by sitting in the cold and cursing your enemies.

Once again, the message of this thread is : poverty and suffering exists everywhere in the world and even in the richest countries, full stop.

I wonder how this resonates with your "In Jesus' name, I love you!" signature . A lot of very fake , hypocritical foreign Christian  Nigerians about, innit ? grin grin

I need to get a life, lol! You start a thread about 'ugly britain' and when someone responds in good faith your cronies resort to personal abuse like your life has been rejected from the earth. I just don't get it with you Nigerians, if someone started a thread about ugly Lagos and showed all of that no one would blame you for being defensive. Understandably it is your homeland  and so patriotism is to be expected. But for some warped reason you think it is ok to sound off about other countries and then expect citizens of those countries to not come out and explain why they disagree with you. Now you are making it sound as though this was all done in jest when you know good and well that you stated in your initial post that this was payback for all the negative stories in the British press about Nigeria. Fair enough you are entitled to your views as am I, just be mature enough to handle them.

Yes poverty exists everywhere and no one has denied that. You did, however state that the British press only showed the positive stories about themselves and I proved you wrong by posting a link from the BBC about poverty in the UK. In fact most negative stories about Britain will have come from the British media so so much for your theory.

I regularly read the Nigerian press and while they criticise Yar Adua a lot, there are no stories about the regular man on the street, how he struggles to get by day by day without having the basic infrastructure to help him along. When a pipeline blasts occurs in Nigeria and kills thousands, who reports it first? the Nigerian or foreign press? When the election was taking place in Nigeria last year were there any articles about what the hopes and dreams of the common man in Nigeria expected of their country in the Nigerian press?? No . . .but they were in abundance on the BBC website.

I live by what I wrote in my siggie; However don't for one minute think that because of that I am going to sit back and take personal abuse for simply responding to a post because of what I state in my siggie.
Re: Ugly Britain by landis(m): 11:34am On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

The joke is is that even if all those things were returned Nigerian still wouldn't be better off.

All the artifacts would probably end up in some governor's house. Abacha's millions would be split among the Nigerian senators as would profit from the slave trade and the Nigerian thieves would probably bribe someone in government to let them off scot free to continue thieving! grin grin grin

Thank you but we still need our money and property back.

is that too much for 'Queen of Thief' to return?
grin cheesy grin
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 11:36am On Oct 13, 2008
landis:

Thank you but we still need our money and property back.

is that too much for 'Queen of Thief' to return?
grin cheesy grin

And what exactly are you doing to get it back?

And what are you doing to counteract the Nigerian thieves that put loot into UK banks in the first place? How do you plan to get back all the loot stored in Swiss banks by Nigerian thieves including Abacha himself. Swiss banks have a code of conduct and so you haven't a hope in hell of getting that back but just asking since you seem adamant. grin
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 11:44am On Oct 13, 2008
I live by what I wrote in my siggie; However don't for one minute think that because of that I am going to sit back and take personal abuse for simply responding to a post because of what I state in my siggie.

Thank God you have deleted that signature at last. This makes you more believable from now on and Christ less maligned. The real game shall now begin. grin
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 11:47am On Oct 13, 2008
pafun:

Thank God you have deleted that signature at last. This makes you more believable from now on and Christ less maligned. The real game shall now begin. grin

It hasn't been deleted as far as I am aware. Do you really think that Christians shouldn't abuse when being abused? We are still human beings you know!!!
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 11:53am On Oct 13, 2008
- Ooops I spoke too soon.
Never mind , lots of work to do. catch up with you later.
Re: Ugly Britain by landis(m): 12:00pm On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

And what exactly are you doing to get it back?

And what are you doing to counteract the Nigerian thieves that put loot into UK banks in the first place? How do you plan to get back all the loot stored in Swiss banks by Nigerian thieves including Abacha himself. Swiss banks have a code of conduct and so you haven't a hope in hell of getting that back but just asking since you seem adamant. grin

Dont turn it around. Swiss has returned the Abacha money, we are waiting for the that 'pen-robber' nation called UK!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4287700.stm

Pls ask your 'Queen of Thief' to return our money. We need our Money.

Can we count on you to do this simple request or the benefit too great for Queen to give-up?
grin cheesy grin
Re: Ugly Britain by EloSela(f): 12:08pm On Oct 13, 2008
landis:

don't turn it around. Swiss has returned the Abacha money, we are waiting for the that 'pen-robber' nation called UK!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4287700.stm

please ask your 'Queen of Thief' to return our money. We need our Money.

Can we count on you to do this simple request or the benefit too great for Queen to give-up?
grin cheesy grin

Again what are you doing to get the money back? I don't think it is my duty to ask my country to give money that was legally deposited in our banks by your Nigerian thieves. grin grin grin grin grin grin

But it has not been a quick process. Although Swiss authorities froze the funds in 1999, they refused to return them until they were given guarantees about how the money would be used.

Maybe the Nigerian government can not provide assurances to the British about how the money will be used. . . Any guesses about what happen to the money the Swiss returned?
Re: Ugly Britain by landis(m): 12:25pm On Oct 13, 2008
EloSela:

Again what are you doing to get the money back? I don't think it is my duty to ask my country to give money that was[b] legally [/b] deposited in our banks by your Nigerian thieves. grin grin grin grin grin grin

You exposed yourself: how can thieves deposited money be LEGAL. Only in 'Queen of Thief' land.

see a lost blackwoman: When brits came to slave your people. It was legal but to return looted money of same people, it becomes wahala.

Even FT recognised the needs to return our money your Illega Queen is keeping our looted money and properties.

The Financial Times (FT), Britain's daily financial and business paper, has also helped enormously to expose the scam and also shame the British government for failing to help the Nigerians sufficiently to recover the money. In February this year, the FT did a four-page expose on the scam and attacked the British government for not doing enough to help.

In sharp contrast, other European countries, such as Switzerland, have been more forthcoming and helpful, even as Britain has chosen to hide behind arcane laws to protect the UK-based banks from returning the money.

The Guardian devoted one full page on 4 October to expose the British foot-dragging over the $1.3 billion of the Abacha money discovered to be held by the UK-based banks.
Re: Ugly Britain by pafun(m): 12:52pm On Oct 13, 2008
From Financial Times

Money laundering exposes Nigeria's oppressors
By Trevor Johnson
10 November 2000

Use this version to print

The recent investigations by the Nigerian government into the laundering of over $4 billion by the former military regime of General Abacha—using banks in the UK, Switzerland, the US, Germany, Luxembourg and elsewhere—makes clear the vested interests that stood behind the dictatorship.

General Abacha was one of a long succession of military leaders in Nigeria, taking power in 1993. By the time of his death in June 1998, Nigeria had been impoverished, with the economy running at a fraction of its capacity. While the Western countries publicly distanced themselves from the regime, especially following the show trial and execution of the writer Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight others, privately they kept it in power.

The oil multinational Shell is now the defendant facing a jury trial in New York accused of giving direct assistance to the regime's murderous assaults on Ogoni villages in the oil-rich Rivers State. Shell's attempts to have the case thrown out of court have been rejected.

While countries such as the US and the UK berate Nigeria today as “the most corrupt country in the world”, and use this alleged corruption to justify their refusal to ease the country's debt burden, there is no such determination to root out the corruption to be found nearer to home, involving billions of dollars taken from a relatively poor country.

The journal Africa Confidential explained in its October 27 edition: “Investigators pursuing some US$3 billion of funds stolen by the late General Sani Abacha's regime between 1993-98 have established that the cash was deposited in more than 30 major banks in Britain, Germany, Switzerland and the United States without any intervention from those countries' financial regulators,

"None of the banks named so far as accepting deposits from Abacha's family and associates—Australia and New Zealand Banking Group, Bankers Trust, Barclays, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, Merrill Lynch, National Westminster Bank and Paribas—have been formally investigated nor had any disciplinary action taken against them.”

It was not until the end of last month, more than two years after Abacha's death, that Britain's Financial Services Authority announced that it would begin an investigation into the laundering of stolen money from Nigeria through the City of London, several months after this was formally requested by Nigerian government investigators. Similar requests have been made to the German, US and Swiss authorities, but so far only the Swiss have responded by setting up their own investigation. The bulk of the $3bn. is reckoned to be in Switzerland, some of which has passed through the accounts of the Swiss affiliates of multinational companies.

Even the one country that responded positively, Switzerland, has tried to curtail the investigation before it could reveal too much. Africa Confidential notes that, “The 19-page [Swiss] report did not go into much detail, and tried to draw a line under the affair. Worried about the damage to Swiss banking, the federal government and the banking commission wanted to put the matter behind them.”

Far from admitting their role in keeping Abacha in power, or lessening the repayments on the huge debts run up at that time, the world's major banks, with the IMF at their head, have stepped up the pressure on Nigeria to gear its whole economy up to meeting their demands.

The Financial Times blithely stated, in its editorial of September 14, that although more than 70 percent of Nigeria's population subsisted on less than a dollar a day, the debt burden was “no longer the top priority” because of increasing oil prices. It claimed that the reason for the country's problems was “mismanagement” which was “crippling Nigeria”. The FT drew the conclusion that “Nigerians— not their creditors—are primarily responsible for the plight of their country.”

The historical record of Nigeria's exploitation, first as a source of slaves, then as a British colony, and finally as a nominally independent country, with military dictatorships kept in power with Western backing, tells a very different story. (The military has ruled Nigeria for 30 of its 40 years of independence). The fact that the billions of dollars taken by those dictators ended up back in the hands of European and US bankers puts the final piece of the jigsaw into place.

Right from the start, the British rulers set up a system of patronage, so as to keep a section of the African people (especially the elite) on their side, and minimise the need for stationing troops permanently in their colonial possessions. When independence was given in the 1960s, the British ensured that power stayed in the hands of the elite they had nurtured.

The end of the Cold War meant that regimes like Abacha's were no longer needed, and new rulers were sought who could be manipulated to do the bidding of the IMF and their other creditors. From Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo) to the Ivory Coast, the old regimes have been dislodged, and replaced with new ones charged with privatising and opening up their economies to the world market.

Both the IMF and the Financial Times are calling for “faster implementation” of Nigeria's privatisation plans and cuts in social spending (which they refer to with the euphemism of “reforms”), as a precondition for any loans or aid. The changes made so far have lead to severe unemployment and dislocation of the economy.

With a debt of $30 billion, two thirds of which is to the banks belonging to the 'Paris Club', the Nigerian government is already spending three times the amount on debt service as it does on education. The number of Nigerians living below the poverty line hit the 70 million mark in 1990 and approached 80 million in January, this year. The result of this has been a drastic fall in life expectancy, from 52 to 49 years. This has been the real “democratic dividend” for the Nigerian people.

Due to Nigeria's ongoing crisis, Obasanjo was recently driven to dispensing with the usual protocol, asking US President Clinton and British Prime Minister Blair directly and publicly for funds to ease the debt burden. He was rebuffed equally as directly.

At home, Obasanjo has desperately tried to distance himself from the regimes of the past (in which he had been one of the generals) to counteract the disillusionment caused by his slavishness to the IMF and the banks. Taking a lead from South Africa he set up his own “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” as a means of letting off steam and airing grievances while never threatening to bring the criminals of the past to justice. The commission, set up in June 1999, started sitting in Abuja 23 October, under the chaimanship of a retired judge, Chukwudifu Oputa.

Oputa said the commission was set up to "promote forgiveness, restore harmony to the polity, foster unity and growth and proffer lasting solutions that will address the history of events in the last 30 years of draconian laws." Though more than 10,000 cases were presented to the commission, Oputa said only 150 would be heard “because they were the only ones adjudged of serious and grievous nature.”

Despite this myopic remit, however, which is tailored to suit the interests of those currently in power, the commission has begun to uncover a trail of corruption which has lead back to the real backers of the Abacha regime in the West. Towards the end of October, the Financial Times began a series of articles exposing the fact that much of the money stolen by the former military regimes ended up in British banks—without attempting to reconcile this with its earlier statement that Nigerians were to blame for the country's present plight.

On October 19, an article entitled “Money laundering probe targets London” said: “Banks in London played a key role in enabling former Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha to launder more than $4bn (£2.76bn) looted from the country during his four and a half year rule, according to investigators employed by its civilian president.

“The trail has led to accounts at London offices of 15 banks. The UK government has been asked to help trace the money deposited in London, but has failed to respond more than four months after the request was made. UK officials say they lack the power to freeze accounts and seize documents until charges have been brought in Nigeria.” In addition to the banks named by Africa Confidential, the Financial Times named Standard Chartered, Citibank, and the German bank, Commerzbank as other prominent banks involved in the money-laundering.

The British Treasury was highlighted in Africa Confidential as being resistant to the investigation into money-laundering. Summing up the attitude of a sizeable section of the British establishment, another article in the Financial Times quoted Rowan Bosworth-Davies, a former Fraud Squad officer and now consultant with Unisys, the information technology group, saying “There are a lot of people in the City who say that if the legislation is applied too strongly, it will be bad for UK plc.”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26)

Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here / Nigerian In Philippines Displays Relief Items Given To Him By Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 234
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.