Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:38 PM

Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon (44661 Views)

Lebanon Arrests Vulture Accused Of Spying For Isreal. (pic) / ISIS Supreme Leader's Wife, Son Captured And Detained In Lebanon / Hezbollah Claim Drone shot-down By Israel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (53) (Reply) (Go Down)

Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Chxta(m): 7:29pm On Jul 15, 2006
Chxta's World

The Israel Defense Forces is preparing for a major, sustained assault into southern Lebanon to eliminate the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. The assault will extend at least to the Litani River -- the first natural barrier, roughly 20 miles into Lebanon -- and possibly all the way to areas south of Beirut. The advance might have been intended for July 16, when the reservists of the Israeli Northern Command who were just activated will have had 72 hours to spin up. However, since rockets fired from Lebanon hit Israel's port city of Haifa on July 13, Israel's 7th Armored, Golani and Barak Brigades -- some of the elite and most decorated units of the regular Israeli army -- might push ahead as far as the Litani and let the reservists catch up later.

If the IDF makes this push into Lebanon, the Golani Brigade likely will advance in the east, along the Syrian border to the Bekaa Valley. Its advance probably will be accompanied by air assaults delivering infantry units to the villages at the valley's base. Penetrating the more populated areas further up the valley will involve difficult, urban fighting.

[img]http://www.videos.informationclearinghouse.info/leb_part1.02020306[/img]

The Barak Brigade, which received the state-of-the-art Merkava Mark 3 tank in 2005, will advance up the coast along a difficult and potentially mined highway. A Merkava tank was already destroyed by a mine July 12 containing a powerful charge that could have been shaped to penetrate heavy armor. If this is the case, it almost certainly came from foreign sources, either Iran or beyond.

The 7th Armored Brigade will advance up the middle, ready to reinforce either the left or right flank. It also could encounter mines. Besides anti-tank mines, Hezbollah is thought to possess anti-tank missiles more advanced than the 1970s-era Soviet AT-3 Sagger anti-tank missile. If Hezbollah's arsenal is sufficiently advanced and properly employed, it could effectively challenge Israeli armor.

The longer the IDF waits to push into Lebanon, and the more brigades it amasses, the more likely the Israelis are planning to drive all the way into areas south of Beirut. A push to the Litani would involve about five brigades; a deeper invasion would involve seven to 12.

There will be, at the very minimum, heavy Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses operations by the Israeli air force (IAF) along the Syrian border. The IAF will at least heavily jam Syrian radar and employ all the electronic countermeasures it has. If Syria does not make a compelling public statement of abstaining from involvement in the conflict, the IAF will likely make a pre-emptive strike against the Syrian air defense network, which Israeli planes successfully penetrated in June, buzzing Syrian President Bashar al Assad's private residence.

Despite the political stunt flyby, Syria's air defense network is still amply equipped and its air force boasts, among other aircraft, 80 MiG-29 and 10 Su-27 fighters. Operationally, Syria has always crumbled when it faced the IDF, and its air defense and pilot training regimens are certainly below par. But nevertheless, Syria's air defense network extends over much of southern Lebanon and poses a very real danger to IAF operations over Lebanon. Israel successfully devastated this air force in 1982 in a pre-emptive strike. If the Israelis decide that Syria might resist their efforts in Lebanon, Israel will not hesitate to take the network out. A devastating pre-emptive strike is preferable to a protracted engagement with the whole air defense network at full alert -- a much more complex endeavor that would detract from operations in Lebanon. As long as the Israelis leave Syrian assets intact, they fight with an exposed right flank.

The near future will almost certainly see small firefights as Israeli special forces reconnaissance units take up more positions inside Lebanon. Of course, the bulk of these units will go undetected. IDF shelling and airstrikes will continue unabated. Depending on Hezbollah's endurance and survivability, their rockets will continue to fly as well.

As its forces gather and reservists kick into high gear, Israel stands on the verge of attempting to completely annihilate Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by lewa(m): 7:55pm On Jul 15, 2006
Interesting smiley
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Mariory(m): 12:10am On Jul 16, 2006
Frankly I think when it comes down to it, Syria whould be brushed aside easily by the IAF. Israel's real problem will come from Iran. Pyscologically they have the advantage as more moderate Muslim nations, including Egypt, Bahrain, UAE, S. Arabia have denounced Hezbolla's actions.
I have no doubt that should Israel decide on a full scale invasion, Syrian Air defences and Syrian Infastructure itself will be hit.
They (Hezbolla, Syria, Iran, and Hamas) started this new crisis. They better be ready for the consequences because Israel is going to dish it out good. I heard today that the Israel's intend to bomb lebanon back two decades.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Chxta(m): 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2006
Looks like today's proving me right so far.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Seun(m): 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2006
Original title "the day after tommorrow" was terrible. Changing to "Israel vs Lebanon".
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by kitaun(m): 8:43pm On Jul 16, 2006
seun,pls check ur mailbox
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by niterider(m): 8:46pm On Jul 16, 2006
@chxta

Was this write-up a work of ur imagination or was it culled frm some news agency.If the later,post the site.
If it was ur own imaginative thinkin,then i suggest u do a re-think because all you did was look at the current situation frm a myopic point of view.The IDF cannot just attack syria like they did lebanon.There wld definately be far more consequences.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by zexyworm: 11:17pm On Jul 16, 2006
Mariory,

", They (Hezbolla, Syria, Iran, and Hamas) started this new crisis. They better be ready for the consequences because Israel is going to dish it out good. I heard today that the Israel's intend to bomb lebanon back two decades."

I disagree. It is Israel who keeps tormenting Palestinians and Arabs through occupation and subjugation.

Oh man, have you seen the living conditions of Arabs in palestine/israel? compared with the israelis, they live in utter poverty because of israeli restrictions of movement and other racist attitudes. It's no wonder those Palestinians are desperate enough to blow themselves up!

I think all of this is due to the American Empire alliance with that shitty little country israel, threatening to bring about a major East / West "clash" very soon.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by lauryn(f): 11:18pm On Jul 16, 2006
I  heard this war started cos, the israelites believe some lebanese terrorists are holding some israelite soldiers captive. How true is this?? lipsrsealed
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by emeka83: 11:27pm On Jul 16, 2006
niterider:

@chxta

Was this write-up a work of your imagination or was it culled frm some news agency.If the later,post the site.
If it was your own imaginative thinkin,then i suggest u do a re-think because all you did was look at the current situation frm a myopic point of view.The IDF cannot just attack syria like they did lebanon.There would definately be far more consequences.

No one doubts that, however u will understand that one of the deterants isreal boasts includes about 6 hidden nuclear capable submarines. most of Syrian war jets are outdated mostly because of military sanctions imposed by the United States against syria which includes denying the country access to U.S war plane parts produced by department of defence. So lacking parts and crucial updates, Syrian jets are no match for the IDF and their defence system is pretty much lapse compared to the fully updated isreali jets fitted with all kinds of misile evading capabilites. Initially it was thought that Isral was trying to cut off reinforcements for Hezbollah, but the latest info from tel-aviv and developments in Lebanon indicates that Isreal within the next day hopes to expand its operation into damascus. SO the main aim is:
1, To put pressure on Syria to force hezbollah to halt attacks or withdraw from Isreal's northern border
2, To incase Syria refuses, make it pay a huge price that might make it wonder whether its support for Hezbollah is worth being set back 10 or 20 years militarily
3. to jUst incase syria does not get the message and attempt to counter-attack, make it extremely hard for them to send ground forces through lebanon since the connecting road does not exist anymore virtually. This will force syria to go airborne causing isreal to wipe out what is left of syrian airforce, or force their military to have to go through the golan heights which will be devastating since the Golan heights is one of the most military fortified places in the world.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by vokalguy(m): 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2006
i love d fight lol isreal is bombin lebannon
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by emeka83: 11:42pm On Jul 16, 2006
zexyworm:

Mariory,

", They (Hezbolla, Syria, Iran, and Hamas) started this new crisis. They better be ready for the consequences because Israel is going to dish it out good. I heard today that the Israel's intend to bomb lebanon back two decades."

I disagree. It is Israel who keeps tormenting Palestinians and Arabs through occupation and subjugation.

Oh man, have you seen the living conditions of Arabs in palestine/israel? compared with the israelis, they live in utter poverty because of israeli restrictions of movement and other racist attitudes. It's no wonder those Palestinians are desperate enough to blow themselves up!

I think all of this is due to the American Empire alliance with that shitty little country israel, threatening to bring about a major East / West "clash" very soon.

yeah,,,,another moronic terrorist sympathizer,,,,,
Do u realise that muslims/arabs have more rights in Isreal than they do in their own countries,,,,,they are even in parliament in Isreal for pete's sake. look dear one, people in other Arab countries live in shitty conditions compared to Isrealis. Their f**king leaders do not give a sh*t about them does that also have anything to do with isreal? what about the bombing in Russia, India Somalia does that also have anything to do with Isreal. The problem is that u muslims think that u are the only one that have the right to live. weeping up sentiments of Isreali "oppression" to force people to have pity on u. Yet u guys oppress urselves the most, kill urselfs the most, Arab leaders steal the oil money from their people and force them to live in poverty,,,,oh sorry I forgot that is also part of the isreali conspiracy. U guys are patrhetic. Go to northen parts of Nigeria, go to iran, syria and others and draw the parallels between the living conditions, but of course agaIN ISREAL IS responsible. the secret is being exposed and very soon people will see Islamism like it really is.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by toshmann(m): 11:50pm On Jul 16, 2006
now we can all see how fair this world is. take a good look, see all those little kids in the middle east who are holed up in the crisis. go to those ill equipped hospitals in lebanon and see the handwork of israel. is it fair. those lil kids are also created by God and loved by God too. why is all this happening sad

why cant the united states pressurise israel to stop  sad

wtz all this "show restraint" message to israel when kids are dying daily.   israel doesn't need to hit lebanon to show us they are stronger than lebanon. we all know that already. oh God  sad !!!!!!!!   sad

if it were iraq or iran hitting a nation in the US' good books, by now we must have seen another military movt by the marines.

and my friend here in cardiff from lebanon (a strong christain), who is supposed to get married next month is so depressed. her fiance is in lebanon and can't leave.  sad   fair world isn't it.

now if this unfairness continues, someone tell me, how can terrorism stop   how?
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by toshmann(m): 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2006
just for 2 soldiers. how many people have died now?

israel should stop.

please sad sad sad
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Mariory(m): 12:06am On Jul 17, 2006
Israel will stop when hezbolla and hamas return the israeli border guards they kidnapped. Pure and simple. The alternative is their annihlation. It's their choice.

Frankly I feel Israel should go has far as it possibly can to the utmost limits of it's power in order to destroy those terrorist organisations once and for all.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by toshmann(m): 12:18am On Jul 17, 2006
and kill people who had nothing to do with the kidnap?
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Mariory(m): 12:24am On Jul 17, 2006
As opposed to Hamas and hezbolla firing rockets randomly into Israel hoping to kill as many random people as they can? An equivalent Israeli action would be to carpet bomb Southern Lebanese cities.

Tell the countries surrounding Israel to the East to stop trying to constantly destroy the Israeli state and it's people.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by toshmann(m): 12:32am On Jul 17, 2006
i'm not against israel as a nation. but we must not forget certain other people simply because they were born in "not so important" countries.

when britons were kidnapped in nigeria, would it be wise for the UK to arrest all nigerians in the UK?

israel should try to go for it's enemies(hizballa) and not lil kids in the streets. those kids will only grow to hate israel.and may be become terrorists.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by GL(f): 2:15am On Jul 17, 2006
toshmann,

Nigeria acts right when our militants capture foreigners. The Lebanese government is either supporting Hezbollah or their prisoner. If they are supporting Hezbollah, Israel is justified in bombing Lebanon. If the govt. is Hezbollah's prisoner, Israel would liberate them. The goverment of Lebanon could have responded properly by going after Hezbollah. It's odd that they should put hundreds of their citizens in danger because of two soldiers. One Israeli official said that a dead Israeli means victory for the Arabs, but a dead Arab is a sad thing to the Israelis. This war shows how true it is. It seems both Hezbollah and the Lebanese government don't have the people of Lebanon in mind. Israel seems to care more for them. See how the government of Israel is taking care to keep the casualty level low. Sometimes I wonder if these people in the Middle East are the same kind of humand beings as us. I don't know if it is their religion that makes them like that or if they are the ones giving their religion that image. Their hatred of Israel seems to cloud up their vision so much they don't mind losing hundreds of their own citizens to see a few Israelis dead.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by GL(f): 2:25am On Jul 17, 2006
toshmann:

just for 2 soldiers. how many people have died now?

israel should stop.

please sad sad sad

CNN just reported a Canadian living in Israel saying that it's impressive how much care the government of Israel is taking to protect its citizens from being hit by the rockets.

Compare that to the Lebanese and Hezbollah who wouldn't release 2 soldiers to protect hundreds of women and children.

Or the Palestinians who wouldn't release a 19 year old boy and give their citizens some relief from all the bombing. that some Palestinian ministers are in Israel's custody is unthinkable. It only means that they hate Israel enough to substitute an unimportant boy for high-ranking citizens. It's despicable.

The truth is Israel is surrounded by countries with so much hatred for her that they dont mind killing themselves to destroy Israel. When an Israeli businessman was captured by Palestinian militants years ago, they swapped prisoners for him. That's how much they value life. They are not dealing with normal human beings here.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by emeka83: 5:08am On Jul 17, 2006
GL:

toshmann,

Nigeria acts right when our militants capture foreigners. The Lebanese government is either supporting Hezbollah or their prisoner. If they are supporting Hezbollah, Israel is justified in bombing Lebanon. If the govt. is Hezbollah's prisoner, Israel would liberate them. The goverment of Lebanon could have responded properly by going after Hezbollah. It's odd that they should put hundreds of their citizens in danger because of two soldiers. One Israeli official said that a dead Israeli means victory for the Arabs, but a dead Arab is a sad thing to the Israelis. This war shows how true it is. It seems both Hezbollah and the Lebanese government don't have the people of Lebanon in mind. Israel seems to care more for them. See how the government of Israel is taking care to keep the casualty level low. Sometimes I wonder if these people in the Middle East are the same kind of humand beings as us. I don't know if it is their religion that makes them like that or if they are the ones giving their religion that image. Their hatred of Israel seems to cloud up their vision so much they don't mind losing hundreds of their own citizens to see a few Israelis dead.

I couldnt say it any better. Thanks for that perspective men.,,,,,u read my mind
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by zexyworm: 7:11am On Jul 17, 2006
Mariory,
",,,Frankly I feel Israel should go has far as it possibly can to the utmost limits of it's power in order to destroy those terrorist organisations once and for all."

Since you started by calling me a moronic terrorist, I can proceed to ask you, are you MOSSAD or an Israeli spy in Nigeria?

Perhaps a Nigerian neo-con, a-la- George Bush!

Those people you call terrorists want Israel to fall back on its 1967 lines UNCONDITIONALLY and stop its territorial expansion / settlement drive ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Observing the escalation, it is very obvious that Israel's real motives in Lebanon is not to get back its soldiers but:

1- Settle the score through revenge, following Israel's expulsion from Lebanon by Hezbollah.
2- The forced implementation of UN resolution 1559, calling for disarming Hizbollah, one of the final Zionism resistance movements (along with HAMAS in Palestine).
3- Ruin and destroy the Lebanese infrastructure, collective punishment of 3.5 million innocent Lebanese people.

On another note, I would stop the verbal accuse if I were you.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by nferyn(m): 10:41am On Jul 17, 2006
First, before anyone starts accusing me of being an Israeli apologist, I want to make the following clear:
1. I consider Israel to be a racist state, legally as well as factually
2. The Palestinians are the biggest victim of the Israeli-Arab conflict
3. The occupation of the west bank and gaza, as well as the continued explotation of it's human and natural resources (especially the tapping of water for agriculture) is unjustified and inexcusable.

Making that clear, both sides in this discussion are somewhat myopic. The current crisis was started by Hezbollah and they knew perfectly well what the reaction of Israel would be, in fact, they counted on it.
1. Hezbollah is part of the Lebanese government and actions by Hezbollah can be considered actions of the Lebanese government. The kidnapping of two soldiers, as well as the rocket launches are acts of war against Israel
2. A government led by Ehud Olmert could only react by using military force, when Hezbollah decided to kidnap these soldiers, they knew the IDF would come in force
3. The withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon ensured that the power of Hebollah became completely unchecked, especially since the support from Iran increased
Hezbollah knew that their actions would:
1. Cripple lebanese infrastructure
2. Have countless civilian casualties as a consequence
3. weaken an already weak Lebanese government
yet they chose to do so because their own power base would expand (most Arab political forces have always considered their population as a means to an end, not an end in itself) if the proportions of the conflict were limited.
Israel will never be able to control occupied Lebanese territory and the expansion of this war to Lebanon would drain resources from Israel. What Hezbollah didn't count on was that Israel would go all the way (as the lost conflicts show, most Arab people have a very poor understanding of Israeli psyche) untill the power base of Hezbollah is completely destroyed. Right now the IDF is hurying to destroy as much of Hezbollah before the UN steps in.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Chxta(m): 10:47am On Jul 17, 2006
What makes you think they won't attack Syria?
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by niterider(m): 10:50am On Jul 17, 2006
@ emeka83

An attack on syria will definately have more consequences than you can imagine.It will go beyond military might.You have to look at the political and also the economical implications of such an attack.First of all,syria is the biggest ally that Iran has and as we will all agree,iran is definately no pushover militarily or economically.Secondly,isreal for the first time in history has succeeded in havin the arabs divided in terms of consencus on hezbollah.An attack on syria will definately not be justifiable so the arab concensus will once again be unified.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Mariory(m): 11:45am On Jul 17, 2006
zexyworm:

Mariory,
",,,Frankly I feel Israel should go has far as it possibly can to the utmost limits of it's power in order to destroy those terrorist organisations once and for all."

Since you started by calling me a moronic terrorist, I can proceed to ask you, are you MOSSAD or an Israeli spy in Nigeria?

Perhaps a Nigerian neo-con, a-la- George Bush!

Those people you call terrorists want Israel to fall back on its 1967 lines UNCONDITIONALLY and stop its territorial expansion / settlement drive ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Observing the escalation, it is very obvious that Israel's real motives in Lebanon is not to get back its soldiers but:

1- Settle the score through revenge, following Israel's expulsion from Lebanon by Hezbollah.
2- The forced implementation of UN resolution 1559, calling for disarming Hizbollah, one of the final Zionism resistance movements (along with HAMAS in Palestine).
3- Ruin and destroy the Lebanese infrastructure, collective punishment of 3.5 million innocent Lebanese people.

On another note, I would stop the verbal accuse if I were you.

Peharps it's time to wash your eyes out with soap cause i think you'll find i didn't call you a "moronic terrorist".

"Those people you call terrorists want Israel to fall back on its 1967 lines UNCONDITIONALLY and stop its territorial expansion / settlement drive ONCE AND FOR ALL."

If you believe that's their aim, then your naivity is enourmous. Just listening to the rethoic of these organisations shows you what their ultimate aim is. Please stop buying into propaganda and expand your mind. Israel has been out of lebanon for the past 6+ years and not once, I repeat, not once has Hezbolla stopped firing rockets randomly into Israel.

Such is the situation that Israeli gunners are forced to fire artillery DAILY into no-mans land on the border to prevent both Hamas and hezbolla from using those strips of land to fire rockets. This is why Israel continually occupies land in order to create a buffer zone. When they withdraw, in come the rockets. What the hell are they supposed to do? Live underground?

Again and again, Israeli security intercepts suicide bombers attempting to enter and commit murder in Israel. And from time to time one or two get through to kill and maim. And now they have invaded Israel itself to kidnap Israelis in order to black mail the Israeli Government. I'm 100% in support the actions israel is taking.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by nferyn(m): 12:10pm On Jul 17, 2006
Mariory:

"Those people you call terrorists want Israel to fall back on its 1967 lines UNCONDITIONALLY and stop its territorial expansion / settlement drive ONCE AND FOR ALL."

If you believe that's their aim, then your naivity is enourmous. Just listening to the rethoic of these organisations shows you what their ultimate aim is. Please stop buying into propaganda and expand your mind. Israel has been out of lebanon for the past 6+ years and not once, I repeat, not once has Hezbolla stopped firing rockets randomly into Israel.
The most disturbing thing here is that the children both in the Palestinian territories and in the neigbouring countries are being spoonfed the most vile anti-semitic propaganda you can imagine. They are being brought up in hatred for everything that's Jewish. [i]The Protocols of the Elders of Zion [/i]is still in wide circulation in the Arab world.
All [i]they [/i]really want is the complete and utter destruction of the state of Israel and all the Jews being driven into the sea. The teritorial expansion of Israel beyond the '67 borders is a direct consequence of the uncompromising attitude of the Arab states at the expense of the Palestinian population (after all, it's them doing the suffering).
There is no Arab state that should lecture Israel on it's treatment of the Palestinians. They are just as guilty in this matter as the Israeli, if not more.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by Mystique(f): 12:18pm On Jul 17, 2006
Too bad *Shakes head sadly* I was thinking of visiting Lebanon next week sad
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by zexyworm: 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2006

Such is the situation that Israeli gunners are forced to fire artillery DAILY into no-mans land on the border to prevent both Hamas and hezbolla from using those strips of land to fire rockets. This is why Israel continually occupies land in order to create a buffer zone. When they withdraw, in come the rockets. What the hell are they supposed to do? Live underground?

Again and again, Israeli security intercepts suicide bombers attempting to enter and commit murder in Israel. And from time to time one or two get through to kill and maim. And now they have invaded Israel itself to kidnap Israelis in order to black mail the Israeli Government.  I'm 100% in support the actions israel is taking.

1- Israel never vacated the Sheba Farms, the most fertile and agricultural zone in Southern Lebanon.  Get your facts right.

2- You know it's a pitty to see people getting their news from CNN.  
ABC, NBC, CNN, CBC and most  prominent American newspapers are mouthpieces for American Jewish elements.
For more infor refer to this site (NOT a hate site, just a scholarly research)
http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-controlledpress-folder.html  

3-The Palestinian cause is a secular one.  Christian Palestinians were driven out of their land in 1948, along with Muslim communities, into refugee camps in the West Bank, Gaza, and neighboring countries.  
One of the most respected Palestinian scholars is Hanan Ashrawi, who is a christian lady.

4- Arabs (christians and muslims) are happy to coexist with Israelis in the middle east so long as Israel ceases to grab land and dictate its own terms over the territory.  Negotiations is the only solution, as opposed to cowboy-style unilateralism. The Arabs repeatedly offered the land-for-peace initiative, but it seems Israel decided it was more lucrative to use its American-backed military might to impose its own vision for the region.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by nferyn(m): 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2006
zexyworm:

1- Israel never vacated the Sheba Farms, the most fertile and agricultural zone in Southern Lebanon. Get your facts right.
And they haven't given up the Golan heights either and ontinue to tap water from occupied territories. Israel definitely isn't blame-free.

zexyworm:

2- You know it's a pitty to see people getting their news from CNN.
ABC, NBC, CNN, CBC and most prominent American newspapers are mouthpieces for American Jewish elements.
For more infor refer to this site (NOT a hate site, just a scholarly research)
http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-controlledpress-folder.html
American news is not really balanced, but your anti-semitic sources are not balanced either. You shouldn't try to counter biased news with outright conspiracy theory spin.

zexyworm:

3-The Palestinian cause is a secular one. Christian Palestinians were driven out of their land in 1948, along with Muslim communities, into refugee camps in the West Bank, Gaza, and neighboring countries.
One of the most respected Palestinian scholars is Hanan Ashrawi, who is a christian lady.
At least it used to be. Hanan Ashrawi isn't exactly the mouthpiece of the Palestinian cause nowadays, is she? At least she saw that a negotiated settlement in line with the proposal of the 2000 Camp David summit was the way to go. Arafat's blind refusal brought forth the second intifada, Sharon and the rise of Hamas. Again, ordinary Palestinians were the victims of the untenable idea of an unconditional right of return.

zexyworm:

4- Arabs (christians and muslims) are happy to coexist with Israelis in the middle east so long as Israel ceases to grab land and dictate its own terms over the territory. Negotiations is the only solution, as opposed to cowboy-style unilateralism. The Arabs repeatedly offered the land-for-peace initiative, but it seems Israel decided it was more lucrative to use its American-backed military might to impose its own vision for the region.
You are living in a dreamworld if you think that most Arabs are happy to coexist with Israeli's in the middle east. There have been no genuine land-for-peace initiatives coming from any of the Arab states, the only genuine intitiatives were the ones negotiated between Israeli's and palestinians themselves.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by ijebuman(m): 1:28pm On Jul 17, 2006
Israel is using Sheba farms and the Golan Heights as a sort of negotiating tool for any eventual peace settlement with Syria and Lebanon. Apart from Egypt and Jordan, technically Israel is still in a state of war with these countries as they have not signed or negotiated a peace agreement.
The current response by Israel is not just about its kidnapped soldiers, it has far reaching goals, which the Americans are obviously aware of.

Its unlikely Syria will get involved unless there's a pre-emptive attack from Israel, at the end of the day its a proxy war where the real combatants will not face each other but use other groups to pursue their aims.

By the end of the week once Israel has sufficiently weakened Hezbollah’s capacity to fire rockets (and in the process destroyed much of Lebanon) into northern Israel, the Americans will suddenly come up with a peace plan.
Re: Israel vs Hezbollah/Lebanon by nferyn(m): 1:38pm On Jul 17, 2006
<Hijack thread>
Hi Ijebuman,

Sorry for not getting back to you, I went through a messed up personal experience and have been neglecting to keep in touch with a lot of people. I'll email you an update today
</Hijack thread>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (53) (Reply)

Americans Mock Donald Trump Over His Loss (Video) / Turkish MP Suffers Heart Attack Right After Cursing Israel ( Video) / Image Of Pregnant Trump Cradled By Putin Is Projected Onto NY Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.