Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,427 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (910582 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (507) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Drgreatone: 4:03pm On Apr 24, 2015
Thanks GAZZUZZ. Car isn't in Lagos, any basic thing I can start wit like ow do I know if the exhaust is leaking plus what to do to the idle issue. thanks in advance
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Drgreatone: 4:04pm On Apr 24, 2015
Thanks GAZZUZZ. Car isn't in Lagos, any basic thing I can start wit like ow do I know if the exhaust is leaking plus what to do to the idle issue. dunno if the fuel usage has increased, only symptom is the loud engine note on depressing the throttle. thanks in advance
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oluwaseunla(m): 7:42am On May 03, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
This thread is dedicated to solving car related problems, it will cover all issues feel free to post problems here, Car gurus your posts are welcome and highly appreciated.

Please can you source for the fuel tank for a 02/03 Toyota Corolla? Like how much will it likely be? A friend's own is leaking and each time it's fixed, it leaks from another place. Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:46am On May 03, 2015
oluwaseunla:

Please can you source for the fuel tank for a 02/03 Toyota Corolla? Like how much will it likely be? A friend's own is leaking and each time it's fixed, it leaks from another place. Thank you.

Upload pic of the vehicle, its easy to source. Open bonnet and let me know if it has an evap line (black pipe with green valve at top)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 11:28am On May 21, 2015
morning sir, i scanned my car, toyota camry pencil light and these codes came up; p0115, p0401 and p0120. how do i fix the codes. thanks you sir
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:31am On May 22, 2015
Beautiful4u:
morning sir, i scanned my car, toyota camry pencil light and these codes came up; p0115, p0401 and p0120. how do i fix the codes. thanks you sir

P0115 : engine coolant temp circuit malfunction[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS95KZM00Rg8a4c9yE3REH0szbbHkd-S8NwKvINDcw-tCBIlWrHjTF0LF48lA[/img] check the wires on the green socket, if ok replace the coolant sensor(green socket)

P0401: Egr low flow detected [img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgG4ngHCQopqf3BRPMzXaZ8sY49s2LrL-FAfpdenypUzT53h-UZu4XnMFH[/img] check all the vacum pipes connected to the above make sure they are all connected and not leaking.

P0120: Camry - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Malfunction

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9dlbSghAV1cpWH5KV6TWra8IHRHzXsOZVhAYHmGEwFnX0yeUMuoZihZ6mdg[/img] the circled on the right is the throttle position sensor, have it checked for connection issues, if ok replace.

Its adviceable check (wiring) harness connected to sensors first for integrity b4 relacing any part, most of these codes could have come as a result of trouble shooting by your self or a technician, so Check hanesses and vaccum pipes, Erase codes and see which ones come back over a 100km distance. If any come back then you can start replacing parts.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xiphoid: 7:35am On May 22, 2015
just recently procured a Golf 4 for my wife, it's a 1.6 I4 75kWa engine it had 153K Km on it as of purchase time. It has been running fine since purchase however on starting the car yesterday it gave a warning on the MFD with a beep sound and the CEL came on. Unfortunately the display on the MFD is German I threw the tongues at Google translate and I got "Exhaust Workshop" tried to see what I can find on Google but What I've been finding articles on is "Emissions Workshop" dunno whether they mean the same thing, the only Exhaust Workshop articles I came across had to do with the Touareg. Well I don't know much abt cars and unfortunately the manual cldnt help as it's all German.
This warning blinks only for a few secs then disappears and display starts to read some kinda time (now on 48mins).
The car however continues to drive fine or at least I haven't detected any deterioration in funtion or change in sound
So pls gurus any ideas on why this may have happened? And what needs to be done
I shld take it for a scan in a day or 2 however I'd like to knw if it's safe to drive around pending then.
It has only just been serviced, Total quartz 5000 oil was used. M beginning to think maybe it's not the right oil as this didn't happen before service. If so what's the right oil to be used for these engine. Thanks

Pls it will also be appreciated if a link can be supplied to download the owners' manual for this kinda golf.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:56am On May 22, 2015
Xiphoid:
just recently procured a Golf 4 for my wife, it's a 1.6 I4 75kWa engine it had 153K Km on it as of purchase time. It has been running fine since purchase however on starting the car yesterday it gave a warning on the MFD with a beep sound and the CEL came on. Unfortunately the display on the MFD is German I threw the tongues at Google translate and I got "Exhaust Workshop" tried to see what I can find on Google but What I've been finding articles on is "Emissions Workshop" dunno whether they mean the same thing, the only Exhaust Workshop articles I came across had to do with the Touareg. Well I don't know much abt cars and unfortunately the manual cldnt help as it's all German.
This warning blinks only for a few secs then disappears and display starts to read some kinda time (now on 48mins).
The car however continues to drive fine or at least I haven't detected any deterioration in funtion or change in sound
So pls gurus any ideas on why this may have happened? And what needs to be done
I shld take it for a scan in a day or 2 however I'd like to knw if it's safe to drive around pending then.
It has only just been serviced, Total quartz 5000 oil was used. M beginning to think maybe it's not the right oil as this didn't happen before service. If so what's the right oil to be used for these engine. Thanks

Pls it will also be appreciated if a link can be supplied to download the owners' manual for this kinda golf.

Right oil for that car is FULL synthetic (not a blend of synthetic) 5W30 oil grade. You can get it on NL from Tumababa. For the error code if you are in lagos you can come for a free scan, I'm sure its emision related.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xiphoid: 8:21am On May 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Right oil for that car is FULL synthetic (not a blend of synthetic) 5W30 oil grade. You can get it on NL from Tumababa. For the error code if you are in lagos you can come for a free scan, I'm sure its emision related.
thank u very much for the prompt response, can I have Tumbaba's contact?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by inze(m): 10:08am On May 22, 2015
Xiphoid:
thank u very much for the prompt response, can I have Tumbaba's contact?

- tumababa : 08053250698
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 10:45am On May 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

P0115 : engine coolant temp circuit malfunction[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS95KZM00Rg8a4c9yE3REH0szbbHkd-S8NwKvINDcw-tCBIlWrHjTF0LF48lA[/img] check the wires on the green socket, if ok replace the coolant sensor(green socket)

P0401: Egr low flow detected [img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgG4ngHCQopqf3BRPMzXaZ8sY49s2LrL-FAfpdenypUzT53h-UZu4XnMFH[/img] check all the vacum pipes connected to the above make sure they are all connected and not leaking.

P0120: Camry - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Malfunction

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9dlbSghAV1cpWH5KV6TWra8IHRHzXsOZVhAYHmGEwFnX0yeUMuoZihZ6mdg[/img] the circled on the right is the throttle position sensor, have it checked for connection issues, if ok replace.
thank you sir, i will tell my mechanic to fix it

Its adviceable check (wiring) harness connected to sensors first for integrity b4 relacing any part, most of these codes could have come as a result of trouble shooting by your self or a technician, so Check hanesses and vaccum pipes, Erase codes and see which ones come back over a 100km distance. If any come back then you can start replacing parts.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by conyema12(m): 6:34pm On May 22, 2015
Good job Gazzuzz
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:44am On May 23, 2015
conyema12:
Good job Gazzuzz

Thank you sir. wink
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xiphoid: 1:44pm On May 25, 2015
So I've had the Golf 4 oil changed to full synthetic 5w30 today, I also had it scanned and the code P1292 (0,0,12,92) came up any idea what this refers to?

The Mech cleared the code anyways and asked that I represent if the CEL comes up again.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dkt001(m): 10:05am On May 27, 2015
Please Gazzuzz, how much can I get fuel pump for bmw 320i 2008 . thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by qunleajayi(m): 9:09am On May 30, 2015
Dear Gazzuz,

I have been following your threads with keen interest and want to appreciate you. I have a 2001 Nissan maxima 3.0 which has been driving quite well until the recent fuel scarcity. It suddenly started slowing down after I bought blackmarket fuel, and completely went off on the road, and wouldnt even crank, talk less start.

Mechanic checked and said the engine was "locked", opened the top cylinders and discovered bent valves. After replacing however, engine started cranking but wouldnt start. After a lot of tinkering, boiling plugs and all sorts of mumbo jumbo, mechanic called me and claims the car actually started and ran smoothly after he got the camshafts to be a little freer. says they switched off to couple car complete and add water to radiator, but car refused to restart. On checking plugs were wet and fuel was literally leaking beneath the car. Nozzles have current and coils are sparking but nozzles are literally gushing out fuel.

Mech advised i get rewire. I opted for a fellow with a diagnostic whose scan revealed fuel sensors, after erasing and rescanning, all three errors disappeared. car almost started but still went back to dripping fuel. Rewire says that it could be brainbox but he doesnt think so that mech should still adjust timing.

car has been 2 weeks with mechanic.

1) can you help with a timing diagram and procedures/
2) Do u have any other ideas about what can be causing the problem/
3) car is in Akure, can you recommend anybody willing to come that way to solve the problem for a fee/

You can call me on 08033120866
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nickxtra(m): 9:34am On May 30, 2015
Mr. Gazzuzz, pls is there a danger in leaving the engine oil 20w 50 in my car for more than 2 months no(less than 3000 mileage)? Though I have ordered for milemaster 5w 30(recommended for my car) oil online to replace it immediately. Am afraid if I have left the current oil more than neccessary so far.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:47am On May 30, 2015
nickxtra:
Mr. Gazzuzz, pls is there a danger in leaving the engine oil 20w 50 in my car for more than 2 months no(less than 3000 mileage)? Though I have ordered for milemaster 5w 30(recommended for my car) oil online to replace it immediately. Am afraid if I have left the current oil more than neccessary so far.

I don't like milemaster. The oil can be there for 6months, if you have not covered 3000miles.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nickxtra(m): 7:44pm On May 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

I don't like milemaster. The oil can be there for 6months, if you have not covered 3000miles.
Thanks Gazzuzz. You are an asset on this thread. God bless you. So, I finally got my car serviced today. Pls help me express your view on this: I just replaced my car engine oil witth Total 5W-40 quartz 9000 engine oil. My car is Nissan Primera P11 1999/2001. The manual states 5W-30 for cold climate and 20W-40 or 20W-50 for other climate. Even from the previous owner's Nissan history of service booklet, I discovered that it has always been serviced with 5W-30 oil and in the subsequent services, Total 10W-40 was used, each in an interval of about 10,000km mileage. So after going through, I decided to get 10W-40 for the service, but that grade was not available at the various places I went to, but later got 5W-40(for 8,500 Naira) at Total station, Kubwa, Abuja, which I now used in servicing the car. Just want to know if I am on point by using the Total 5W-40 instead of the 5W-30 and 10W-40?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:07pm On May 30, 2015
nickxtra:
Thanks Gazzuzz. You are an asset on this thread. God bless you. So, I finally got my car serviced today. Pls help me express your view on this: I just replaced my car engine oil witth Total 5W-40 quartz 9000 engine oil. My car is Nissan Primera P11 1999/2001. The manual states 5W-30 for cold climate and 20W-40 or 20W-50 for other climate. Even from the previous owner's Nissan history of service booklet, I discovered that it has always been serviced with 5W-30 oil and in the subsequent services, Total 10W-40 was used, each in an interval of about 10,000km mileage. So after going through, I decided to get 10W-40 for the service, but that grade was not available at the various places I went to, but later got 5W-40(for 8,500 Naira) at Total station, Kubwa, Abuja, which I now used in servicing the car. Just want to know if I am on point by using the Total 5W-40 instead of the 5W-30 and 10W-40?
on point!

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chemvic: 6:01am On May 31, 2015
Thumbsup Gazzuzz! So selfless of you. Bringing smiles to troubled faces...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:16pm On May 31, 2015
chemvic:
Thumbsup Gazzuzz! So selfless of you. Bringing smiles to troubled faces...

Thank you sir
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 2:29pm On Jun 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Oga GAZZUZZ,
Please the CEL and ABS came on in a friend's 2004 toyota Camry V6. After scan, i threw up these codes;

P1135- Air fuel sensor heated response malfunction
and

C0215- Left rear wheel speed sensor signal malfunction.

kindly assist on what to know and what to do.

By the way, can you please tell us why you don't like Milemaster because that's the oil i use for my Car ooo!!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:42pm On Jun 02, 2015
blazetitov:

Oga GAZZUZZ,
Please the CEL and ABS came on in a friend's 2004 toyota Camry V6. After scan, i threw up these codes;

P1135- Air fuel sensor heated response malfunction
and

C0215- Left rear wheel speed sensor signal malfunction.

kindly assist on what to know and what to do.

By the way, can you please tell us why you don't like Milemaster because that's the oil i use for my Car ooo!!

Af sensor bank1 sensor 1 faulty or harness (wiring) faulty. Solve problem by checking harness, if ok replace a/f sensor.

Second code is responsible for the abs issues you are eXperiencing, as usual check harness, if ok check resistance of abs sensor, should be 1568ohms or there about, if not ok replace. Abs sensor. Car will be fine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by blazetitov: 12:51pm On Jun 02, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Af sensor bank1 sensor 1 faulty or harness (wiring) faulty. Solve problem by checking harness, if ok replace a/f sensor.

Second code is responsible for the abs issues you are eXperiencing, as usual check harness, if ok check resistance of abs sensor, should be 1568ohms or there about, if not ok replace. Abs sensor. Car will be fine.

Thanks boss!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
ExpressBooking:
Gazzuz please I need your help with these codes on my 2000 Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE engine. The vehicle sounds like it has an exhaust leakage under the engine and the engine accelerates itself. on idling it gets up to 1500rpm when gear is disengaged and AC is off. when you engage gear the vehicle accelerates itself faster than normal.
1. P1354 Variable valve timing
2. P0300 Random cylinder misfire detected
3. P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected
4. P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected
5. P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected

I used my innova 3130c diagnostic tool with fix assist to get these result.
The fix assistance is suggesting is check
1. Faulty A/F sensor or loose wiring
2. Faulty fuel injection or loose wiring
3. Faulty O-rings
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ExpressBooking(m): 9:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
Gazzuz please I need your help with these codes on my 2000 Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE engine. The vehicle sounds like it has an exhaust leakage under the engine and the engine accelerates itself. on idling it gets up to 1500rpm when gear is disengaged and AC is off. when you engage gear the vehicle accelerates itself faster than normal. 1. P1354 Variable valve timing 2. P0300 Random cylinder misfire detected 3. P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected 4. P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected 5. P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected I used my innova 3130c diagnostic tool with fix assist to get these result. The fix assistance is suggesting is check 1. Faulty A/F sensor or loose wiring 2. Faulty fuel injection or loose wiring 3. Faulty O-rings
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2015
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
ExpressBooking:
Gazzuz please I need your help with these codes on my 2000
Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE engine. The vehicle sounds like
it has an exhaust leakage under the engine and the engine
accelerates itself. on idling it gets up to 1500rpm when gear is
disengaged and AC is off. when you engage gear the vehicle
accelerates itself faster than normal.
1. P1354 Variable valve timing
2. P0300 Random cylinder misfire detected
3. P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected
4. P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected
5. P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected
I used my innova 3130c diagnostic tool with fix assist to get these
result.
The fix assistance is suggesting is check
1. Faulty A/F sensor or loose wiring
2. Faulty fuel injection or loose wiring
3. Faulty O-rings

It's either you have a leak on your exhaust or you don't. First go under your vehicle with the engine running and check.

Secondly this is cylinder position for the misfire

Notice that it's from one side all at once, check intake Leak from manifold, and injectors. Also check sparkplug and coils.

For the high rpm I have a feeling it's the same problem you are facing, the intake leak is causing high RPM, basically introduction of un-metered air into the combustion chamber.

The P1354 code refers to the bank2 variable valve timing sensor, and you should check the ocv "oil control valve" manually to rule out any failure also if your engine has developed sludge you should change oil a little more frequently with the recommended oil type and grade to ensure the OCV does not get stuck, also check that the harness is ok.

Location of vvti bank2 on 3mz same location with 1MZ [img]http://alflash.com.ua/RX/03628.jpg[/img]
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ExpressBooking(m): 1:15am On Jun 22, 2015
Thanks. I will do as directed

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (507) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.