Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (908982 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (507) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ExpressBooking(m): 9:57am On Jun 22, 2015
I also noticed the engine is leaking oil from the top cylinder. just somewhere between the top cylinder/cam shaft cover and the top cylinder where you have a rubber lining. I tried to top the oil before I moved from Lagos to Enugu last Friday but observed there is an angle at which you will pour the oil and observer the oil leaking out from the place I specified. At a different angle of pouring in the oil the oil doesn't get to leak out. what do you think of this
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:07am On Jun 22, 2015
ExpressBooking:
I also noticed the engine is leaking oil from the top cylinder. just somewhere between the top cylinder/cam shaft cover and the top cylinder where you have a rubber lining. I tried to top the oil before I moved from Lagos to Enugu last Friday but observed there is an angle at which you will pour the oil and observer the oil leaking out from the place I specified. At a different angle of pouring in the oil the oil doesn't get to leak out. what do you think of this

Pics or I don't believe it grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ClementKponu(m): 10:45am On Jul 07, 2015
Hello sir,
I recently had issues with my car transmission. It threw codes po 780, po 775 and po 750 for the transmission and i think...I was advised to change transmission which i did. A few hours after leaving the mechanic's place, the D light was blinking when i parked...by the next day, it was blinking while driving and slipping out of gear...i have since parked the car. I filled the new transmission with atf z1 when it was installed. mechanic is saying brain box needs to be replaced now...what do you advise?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Inception(m): 3:18pm On Jul 07, 2015
ClementKponu:
Hello sir,
I recently had issues with my car transmission. It threw codes po 780, po 775 and po 750 for the transmission and i think...I was advised to change transmission which i did. A few hours after leaving the mechanic's place, the D light was blinking when i parked...by the next day, it was blinking while driving and slipping out of gear...i have since parked the car. I filled the new transmission with atf z1 when it was installed. mechanic is saying brain box needs to be replaced now...what do you advise?

i think i know you(from UI)
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:19pm On Jul 07, 2015
ClementKponu:
Hello sir,
you had a bad gear, and replaced it with another bad gear. Scan the new one. I'm sure. Changing the entire gear was a waste of time.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 08, 2015
Hello Gazzuz
I have a Nissan Altima 2002 now, have driven it for 18 months. Nice car and have had no major issues except for nromal servicing and change of a few sensors here and there.
But for a week or two now, Sometimes the car refuses to start (especially when i have driven fast through a rough road) , with onboard lights, and other lights flickering and sound coming from under the hood as if there is sparking (but i have inspected it day and night and notice no sparks). Car did not through up any code (did a scan with a handheld maxiscan tool). In fact there is no error code in the car. When ever this happens, I just remove the battery heads, for a minute or 2 and place it back, car starts fine. once it starts, car runs fine and drives smoothly without any issues. Pleasurable car to drive.
Let me quickly say that I started to notice this issue after I gave the car a thorough wash at the car wash, including engine wash. Could this be the cause?

Any advice or ideas on what to do will be appreciated.

PS: Na your Bauchi Boy.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:10am On Jul 08, 2015
jonnywaka:
Hello Gazzuz
I have a Nissan Altima 2002 now, have driven it for 18 months. Nice car and have had no major issues except for nromal servicing and change of a few sensors here and there.
But for a week or two now, Sometimes the car refuses to start (especially when i have driven fast through a rough road) , with onboard lights, and other lights flickering and sound coming from under the hood as if there is sparking (but i have inspected it day and night and notice no sparks). Car did not through up any code (did a scan with a handheld maxiscan tool). In fact there is no error code in the car. When ever this happens, I just remove the battery heads, for a minute or 2 and place it back, car starts fine. once it starts, car runs fine and drives smoothly without any issues. Pleasurable car to drive.
Let me quickly say that I started to notice this issue after I gave the car a thorough wash at the car wash, including engine wash. Could this be the cause?

Any advice or ideas on what to do will be appreciated.

PS: Na your Bauchi Boy.

Take the car to murtala 08062490298, your car has a grounding issue, sandpaper the ground contacts and all will be fine.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Take the car to murtala 08062490298, your car has a grounding issue, sandpaper the ground contacts and all will be fine.
Thanks Boss. Will do just that. Glad to get this fix.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Beautiful4u(m): 2:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
good evening Mr. GAZZ. MY CAR GETS TO 2500 TO 2800 RPM BEFORE IT ACCELERATE NORMALLY. I WOULD LIKE KNOW THE CAUSE AND HOW TO FIX IT. THANKS. CAMRY PENCIL LIGHT
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
Beautiful4u:
good evening Mr. GAZZ. MY CAR GETS TO 2500 TO 2800 RPM BEFORE IT ACCELERATE NORMALLY. I WOULD LIKE KNOW THE CAUSE AND HOW TO FIX IT. THANKS. CAMRY PENCIL LIGHT

I have no idea.

More tech details required.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by colossus2: 4:14pm On Jul 15, 2015
Gazzuzz, please help out with solution on P0500 and P0440.
Had to engage to L1 when the vehicle didn't accelerate again to be able to park by the side of the road.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:57am On Jul 16, 2015
colossus2:
Gazzuzz, please help out with solution on P0500 and P0440.
Had to engage to L1 when the vehicle didn't accelerate again to be able to park by the side of the road.

Sorry bro, been under some evil vehicles all day.

P0500 Basically this means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly.

P0440 this is an evaporation emmision code.

The p0500 will make gear selection become impossible, the vss is mounted on the gear near the entry of the inner Cv joints.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mikeywise(m): 1:01am On Jul 16, 2015
@GAZZUZZ, you are doing a very wonderful job on this thread. Please can any of those small scanners clear error codes?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xiphoid: 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2015
Golf Mk4 1.6
Mileage 154K Km
I've got a noise that comes from the front of the car when turning the steering wheel - sounds like creaking/squeaking. Happens at low speeds - backing out of the driveway or pulling into a parking spot. Not noticeable while driving, probably due to road noise. Also disappears when vehicle is warm, so basically I only hear the noise when I'm pulling out of the drive way in the mornings.
My first thought was control arms based on what I've read, but I'm not seeing any obvious play in the rubber bushings and nothing is torn. Same for outer tie rod ends. Also no leaks in the power steering system. The CAs have never been replaced. I must add that I'm not 100% sure I'm checking things properly tho, advice from professionals will be appreciated. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
mikeywise:
@GAZZUZZ, you are doing a very wonderful job on this thread. Please can any of those small scanners clear error codes?

Yes they can.

But errors must be fixed, else they will all stroll back one at a time.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by mikeywise(m): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Yes they can.

But errors must be fixed, else they will all stroll back one at a time.
Thank you for this info, you know u said u have to clear error code first and drive for 100km and then rescan before fixing the problem.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2015
mikeywise:

Thank you for this info, you know u said u have to clear error code first and drive for 100km and then rescan before fixing the problem.

Not all problems. Some require 30sec or less to pop up
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2015
Beautiful4u:

check that your car throws up a code. U may be needing to change your throttle position sensor
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chukel(m): 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
oseri:

check that your car throws up a code. U may be needing to change your throttle position sensor
is the bolded not going too far? let him scan the car and clean the throttle body
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2015
Pls professionals in the house help, i had my 2001 Nissan Maxima Scanned and these were the results:

P1211
P0180
P0141
P0720
P0135

I need help interpreting these error codes!....Matured reply pls!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2015
@GAZZUZZ, having read a lil abt u, i must say, you are doing a very fantastik Job here, gues u might be d one Man i hav been looking for grin....pls i use a 2001 Nissan Maxima, can u proffer a good Engine Oil for us. Of late, i noticed d car makes a Screeching/squealing sound wen u start it, and after some mins it stops....pls wat cud be d cause?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xiphoid: 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2015
Xiphoid:
Golf Mk4 1.6
Mileage 154K Km
I've got a noise that comes from the front of the car when turning the steering wheel - sounds like creaking/squeaking. Happens at low speeds - backing out of the driveway or pulling into a parking spot. Not noticeable while driving, probably due to road noise. Also disappears when vehicle is warm, so basically I only hear the noise when I'm pulling out of the drive way in the mornings.
My first thought was control arms based on what I've read, but I'm not seeing any obvious play in the rubber bushings and nothing is torn. Same for outer tie rod ends. Also no leaks in the power steering system. The CAs have never been replaced. I must add that I'm not 100% sure I'm checking things properly tho, advice from professionals will be appreciated. Thanks
Awaiting response pls... .
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:00pm On Jul 19, 2015
Xiphoid:

Awaiting response pls... .

Suspension has to be taken apart to know what is wrong.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2015
jektony:
@GAZZUZZ, having read a lil abt u, i must say, you are doing a very fantastik Job here, gues u might be d one Man i hav been looking for grin....pls i use a 2001 Nissan Maxima, can u proffer a good Engine Oil for us. Of late, i noticed d car makes a Screeching/squealing sound wen u start it, and after some mins it stops....pls wat cud be d cause?

Any good 5W30 oil should be ok, but if you notice shortage switch to quartz 7000 15W50 semi synthetic.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 6:28pm On Jul 19, 2015
chukel:
is the bolded not going too far? let him scan the car and clean the throttle body

throttle body, IAC valve and MAF failure in most cases result to poor idling.
for laggy acceleration i will go will throttle position sensor. Still a diagnose will point u in the direction to look, simplified with ALLDATA if handy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Any good 5W30 oil should be ok, but if you notice shortage switch to quartz 7000 15W50 semi synthetic.

Thank you GAZZUZZ, but pls suggest a Brand, i use SEA HORSE, but its kinda Scarce, so i want change to sometin else, someone advised i go for Mobil Oil, so wats ur Thought?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by qunleajayi(m): 8:57am On Jul 21, 2015
qunleajayi:
Dear Gazzuz,

I have been following your threads with keen interest and want to appreciate you. I have a 2001 Nissan maxima 3.0 which has been driving quite well until the recent fuel scarcity. It suddenly started slowing down after I bought blackmarket fuel, and completely went off on the road, and wouldnt even crank, talk less start.

Mechanic checked and said the engine was "locked", opened the top cylinders and discovered bent valves. After replacing however, engine started cranking but wouldnt start. After a lot of tinkering, boiling plugs and all sorts of mumbo jumbo, mechanic called me and claims the car actually started and ran smoothly after he got the camshafts to be a little freer. says they switched off to couple car complete and add water to radiator, but car refused to restart. On checking plugs were wet and fuel was literally leaking beneath the car. Nozzles have current and coils are sparking but nozzles are literally gushing out fuel.

Mech advised i get rewire. I opted for a fellow with a diagnostic whose scan revealed fuel sensors, after erasing and rescanning, all three errors disappeared. car almost started but still went back to dripping fuel. Rewire says that it could be brainbox but he doesnt think so that mech should still adjust timing.

car has been 2 weeks with mechanic.

1) can you help with a timing diagram and procedures/
2) Do u have any other ideas about what can be causing the problem/
3) car is in Akure, can you recommend anybody willing to come that way to solve the problem for a fee/

You can call me on 08033120866

Dear Gazzus, u didnt respond to my request nau...
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:10pm On Jul 21, 2015
qunleajayi:

Dear Gazzus, u didnt respond to my request nau...

Your engine has a loss in compression.

Timing might be off too, but the fact that plugs are wet with water is badddd for the nation.

One thing you should understand is the paint marks on the chain should be usedto set timing.

Good luck sir.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 8:27pm On Jul 21, 2015
jektony:

Thank you GAZZUZZ, but pls suggest a Brand, i use SEA HORSE, but its kinda Scarce, so i want change to sometin else, someone advised i go for Mobil Oil, so wats ur Thought?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49am On Jul 22, 2015
[quote author=jektony post=36132072][/quote]

Screeching squealing could be the serpentine belt, try and adjust it.

Please stop using seahorse.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 12:15pm On Jul 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks GAZZUZZ
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 12:17pm On Jul 22, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Pls help, i had my 2001 Nissan Maxima Scanned and these were the results:

P1211
P0180
P0141
P0720
P0135

I need help interpreting these error codes!

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (507) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.