Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,427 members, 7,781,246 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:16 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (899965 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (504) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 1:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
respect @ GAZZUZZ, hope i haven't broken any rule in ur thread. i'm here to help as well
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Experience4u(m): 6:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for the detailed analysis and your help for a follower enthusiast. Please I want to know if what am getting out of my car is OK. With a fuel tank of 58litres I get about 270miles out of my full tank on highway driving whereas I get less than 180miles while driving within town on my Rav4 2004. please what can I do to get a better mpg. Thanks

oseri:
for poor gas milage, you need a scantool that has live data functionality.
1. run a scan and scan if there's any present malfunction or historical trouble code
2. Check your live date. You want to be looking at your fuel trims. short and long fuel trim. you want to be close to _+0% on your long term fuel trim LTFT
3. for your case i believe you are probably running rich you should be between 20 - 24% negative long term fuel trim. This will lead to diagnose if u have a vacuum leak, poor fuel injectors, dirty MAF sensor etc
4. your short term fuel trim tells u the instantaneous pulse rate of the fuel injector/ fuel pump performance. can diagnose dirty fuel pump filter or clogged injector
5. exhaust leak may and may not be significant. Post B1S2 exhaust leak is less significant in fuel economy. Exhaust leak before before the B1S2 will cause excess air into the exhaust and ur O2 sensor voltage will be rather low close to 0.1V.
the list keeps on going till infinity...... IAT sensor reading, RPM vs cycle load, spark plug misfire live data, alldata repair manual

i'm an advance DIY, trained online by scannerdanner, subscriber to ericthecarguy, schrondinger, chrisfix, scotty kilmer on youtube.
i stay around PH environ but i'm not always available because of work. I do diagnosis for almost free. ADVANCE diagnose if u know what i mean and can program auto key for almost a token with my powerful skp-900 key programmer. I use toyota intelligence, toyota techstream and autel maxicheck for my diagnose. I have maxidas708 but for paid diagnose only
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by inze(m): 6:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
Experience4u:
Thanks for the detailed analysis and your help for a follower enthusiast. Please I want to know if what am getting out of my car is OK. With a fuel tank of 58litres I get about 270miles out of my full tank on highway driving whereas I get less than 180miles while driving within town on my Rav4 2004. please what can I do to get a better mpg. Thanks

270miles
58litres = 15gal
270/15 = 18, therefore you're getting 18miles/gal on the highway and about 12miles/gal in the city as against 24mpg city / 27mpg highway manufacturer expected mpg.

Alot of facts can amount to a higher fuel consumption which is you should run a scan to point you in the right direction to work on.

In other news, have you been hearing any KPOM sound lately?

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
from the data you provided, u can calculate your MPG. check against factory value 21/27 city/high way for a 2007 rav 4 FWD I4 2.4L engine. V6 engine will comsume more fuel.
In simplicity conventional car consumes more fuel within city than high way, for the above example 21MPG in the city and 27MPG on highway. To get better gas milage, you need to scan ur car, check that your long term fuel trim is close to 0% as possible. The fuel trim shows the % deviation from OEM source code. For a car that has 20% long term fuel trim, it means the ECU will add 20% extra fuel for each power cycle.
You need an advance mechanic to restore your long term fuel trim if it is out, not road side mechanic, never!

Avoid excessive use of your AC
change your engine oil with synthetic oil
Accelerate gradually(car consumes more fuel at kick off and stop), avoid hard braking
avoid unnecessary idling.
change your inlet filter frequently......
change your PCV if clogged
get correct tire pressure. under inflated tire results in excess fuel consumption.
......the list is endlss

Experience4u:

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Dieumerci(m): 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
oseri:
for poor gas milage, you need a scantool that has live data functionality.
1. run a scan and scan if there's any present malfunction or historical trouble code
2. Check your live date. You want to be looking at your fuel trims. short and long fuel trim. you want to be close to _+0% on your long term fuel trim LTFT
3. for your case i believe you are probably running rich you should be between 20 - 24% negative long term fuel trim. This will lead to diagnose if u have a vacuum leak, poor fuel injectors, dirty MAF sensor etc
4. your short term fuel trim tells u the instantaneous pulse rate of the fuel injector/ fuel pump performance. can diagnose dirty fuel pump filter or clogged injector
5. exhaust leak may and may not be significant. Post B1S2 exhaust leak is less significant in fuel economy. Exhaust leak before before the B1S2 will cause excess air into the exhaust and ur O2 sensor voltage will be rather low close to 0.1V.
the list keeps on going till infinity...... IAT sensor reading, RPM vs cycle load, spark plug misfire live data, alldata repair manual

i'm an advance DIY, trained online by scannerdanner, subscriber to ericthecarguy, schrondinger, chrisfix, scotty kilmer on youtube.
i stay around PH environ but i'm not always available because of work. I do diagnosis for almost free. ADVANCE diagnose if u know what i mean and can program auto key for almost a token with my powerful skp-900 key programmer. I use toyota intelligence, toyota techstream and autel maxicheck for my diagnose. I have maxidas708 but for paid diagnose only

Wow! Blessing, you have done well.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 9:23am On Aug 19, 2015
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by makarios911: 9:44am On Aug 19, 2015
oseri:
Intelligent people here but sometime you might need more than just a guess. Cat available or not. Like seriously.! You don't need diagnostic tool to check that. Simoly follow the exhaust manifold from the engine. U shud see the first oxygen sensor A/F ratio sensor. Very important and more expensive than the other post cat converter.

Tnx alot bro.
So I got my own obd2 yesterday and did my own scan. No error codes. Cudnt identify thr LTFT tingy tho. Buh I posted snapshots of my real time scan. Can u make sense off it? Isnt dat vacuum tingy suppose to be near zero or sometyn.
GAZZUZZ. pls I cudnt make it to ph to see yur guy becos of wrk. Hope to see him dis weekend. Bun I. Tryna see if I can do anytin on dis end before weekend. This car is just guzzling all the fuel mehn.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 10:56am On Aug 19, 2015
@ makarios911, you need a scantool that has livedata facility.
to check for vacuum leak, you need a smoke machine, or scantool + propane touch method
What i would normally do, i set my scantool to displace long term fuel trim(LTFT) for both banks. With the car idling, i open the throttle to about 2500RPM or more. If it's a vacuum leak, i should see my LTFT drop from positive %value to close to 0%. The rationale behind this is that at high rpm, the effect of vacuum leak becomes less significant. Hence your car may probably have good gas milage on highway but very poor one in the city
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 11:09am On Aug 19, 2015
some person here might probably be wondering what a vacuum leak is..... grin
The MAF sensor i.e mass air flow sensor measures(meters) the amount of air entering into the engine. IAT sensor, air inlet temperature sensor measures the temperature of this inlet air to the engine. Driver can manually varies the amount of air entering the engine via a throttle pedal.
how does the ECM, engine computer module knows this it uses TPS, throttle position sensor. the ECM then increases the pulse rate of the fuel injector.....bla bla bla..... to achieve stoichiometric air fuel ratio...lol
The computer(ECM) uses Pre CAT O2 sensor B1S1 for a single bank engine e.g I4 engine or B1S1/B2S1 for dual bank engine e.g V6 engine to measure the A/F ratio of the exhuast gas. this feedback is necessary to control........too much story

Back to vacuum leak..... any air into the engine post MAF sensor is not metered or measured. The ECM does not know this. what it sees is the O2 voltage reading. B1S1 voltage reading will shows a lean condition i.e too much air in the exhaust. The ECM based on this signal, increases injectors' pulse rate for the next power cycle meaning u will be burning more fuel than is required.
how do you know this ....fuel trims

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 3:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
Hello house,
Kindly help out, before now, Toyota avalon 2002 exhaust smoke on startup mostly in the morning and fade out even before moving. The smoke get more recently on startup at evening time, though fade out soon too but much than it used to exhaust in the morning, sometime, it doesn't smoke at all in the morning. (The color is btw grey when it smoke & water vapor drip out when hand is positioned near too).

A scan reveal this error code even though no CEL is on.: P0135 - Powertrain (02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1).

What could possibly be done or aware of before visiting any mechanic.

Thanks and much appreciation for your efforts.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 4:37pm On Aug 20, 2015
Oseri, great knowledge you possess, wanna know my sincere advice?
Go create a fresh thread in cartalk.... Dnt derail this... (no offence) thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oseri(m): 6:39pm On Aug 20, 2015
the easiest fix for this type of fault is replacing the O2 sensor.
your O2 sensor should have four wires. Two same-colour wires for the heater circuit. You would want to test for continuity on the sensor for the heater circuit. if it's open, the ur sensor is bad.

olamikhx:
Hello house,
Kindly help out, before now, Toyota avalon 2002 exhaust smoke on startup mostly in the morning and fade out even before moving. The smoke get more recently on startup at evening time, though fade out soon too but much than it used to exhaust in the morning, sometime, it doesn't smoke at all in the morning. (The color is btw grey when it smoke & water vapor drip out when hand is positioned near too).

A scan reveal this error code even though no CEL is on.: P0135 - Powertrain (02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1).

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2015
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:05pm On Aug 20, 2015
olamikhx:
Hello house,

The smoke is from the valve stem seals.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzOA8Oh791qOzXRzf_wrrWxbaD7SumHMy8aCgoaHwWIapepILSuA[/img]

The DTC code refers to this sensor.

Located in front just near radiator.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfdZddAV6EDVAuacNLjr60lEFqst8rVZgYwrUTW_52E0G-tKrI[/img]

Looks just like this sample on the 5s/3s engine.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnPk5uLhyLtrjQZgoJBVSCZH2tyyYOoPeYjRo2hrDVOOMHptqkvQ[/img]
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by makarios911: 5:07am On Aug 21, 2015
nissparts:

You most likely have an exhaust leak.
Absent catalysts do not cause increased fuel consumption

I've had the exhaust checked out and there's no leak. Saw yur oda thread on catalyst codes and I can totally relate.
Thnks.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by qunleajayi(m): 8:33am On Aug 21, 2015
Xiphoid:
Any ideas where one can obtain the VW's G12 coolant? I want to top the coolant in my passat, I have searched everywhere and practically all the online stores in Nigeria that I'm aware of but I cldnt find it. Or is there any other coolant safe for use in VW in it place? even if I have to drain the one there to avoid mixing. I have searched online but the results have only put the fear of God in me as they all seem to suggest nothing else can/shld be used in VW's cooling system. Nawa o. Advice from car professionals will be appreciated. Thanks

Try Car Link, Oregun, VW Center Gbagada, or Field of Dreams Awolowo Way. May I suggest you actually have the car checked to find out why it is actually overheating?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 9:51am On Aug 24, 2015
oseri:
the easiest fix for this type of fault is replacing the O2 sensor.
your O2 sensor should have four wires. Two same-colour wires for the heater circuit. You would want to test for continuity on the sensor for the heater circuit. if it's open, the ur sensor is bad.

Thanks for your prompt response, I will do as suggested. may I ask if this 02 issue can be a reason for oil consumption too?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 9:55am On Aug 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzOA8Oh791qOzXRzf_wrrWxbaD7SumHMy8aCgoaHwWIapepILSuA[/img]

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfdZddAV6EDVAuacNLjr60lEFqst8rVZgYwrUTW_52E0G-tKrI[/img]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnPk5uLhyLtrjQZgoJBVSCZH2tyyYOoPeYjRo2hrDVOOMHptqkvQ[/img]

Thanks Gazzuzz for your prompt response and the graphical illustrations too. I will get it replace as suggested. may I ask if this 02 issue can be a reason for oil consumption too, though no indicator on the dash-screen to that effect, just my recent observation.

Grateful
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:22am On Aug 24, 2015
olamikhx:

Thanks Gazzuzz for your prompt response and the graphical illustrations too. I will get it replace as suggested. may I ask if this 02 issue can be a reason for oil consumption too, though no indicator on the dash-screen to that effect, just my recent observation.

Grateful

Sensor will not cause oil consumption.

What type of engine oil do you use?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 11:17am On Aug 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Got the question wrong earlier. I used 20w50 coz couldn't get the recommended 5w30 earlier. I'm ready to switch now
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:24pm On Aug 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

olamikhx:

V6 Engine, 3.0
1MZ

angry
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 1:42pm On Aug 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

angry

Got the question wrong earlier. I used 20w50 coz couldn't get the recommended 5w30 earlier. I'm ready to switch now
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by jektony(m): 5:02pm On Aug 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Take 1 free scan. Expires 18th Aug 2015 6pm

Oga GAZZUZZ.....i work Mon-Fri....kindly grant me one of the weekends

I also noticed dat BRAKE light showing up on my dash board and after topping it up, it went off and came back 2 days latter, pls wat cud b responsible? 2001 Nissan Maxima
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Drgreatone: 8:02pm On Aug 24, 2015
Pls a Family friend's 07 camry xle on starting showed check engine light and then few mins later check VSC with d car skidding light on,they based in abeokuta, pls recommend someone there for scanning and repairs
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
olamikhx:

Please do not switch, your engine will burn much faster than what is currently obtainable.

Prepare for a new engine. sad
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 18wheeler: 5:48am On Aug 25, 2015
Hello house, I just got a 2003 model Mercedes Benz C240. I'ts my first time of using a Mercedes. I've not even started driving it yet. Please what engine oil grade do I use and also which brands are available around because i intend to change the oil and other things before i commence driving. My location is Jos, Plateau.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:23am On Aug 25, 2015
18wheeler:
Hello house, I just got a 2003 model Mercedes Benz C240. I'ts my first time of using a Mercedes. I've not even started driving it yet. Please what engine oil grade do I use and also which brands are available around because i intend to change the oil and other things before i commence driving. My location is Jos, Plateau.

Mobil1 0W40

For more benz tips follow links bellow, and if you want to join the whatsapp group send me your number.

https://www.nairaland.com/520025/mercedes-benz-thread/98

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1401144-recommended-engine-oil-some.html
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 18wheeler: 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Mobil1 0W40

For more benz tips follow links bellow, and if you want to join the whatsapp group send me your number.

https://www.nairaland.com/520025/mercedes-benz-thread/98

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1401144-recommended-engine-oil-some.html

Thanks a lot sir. For wastapp, please add 08029114448.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 4:31pm On Aug 26, 2015
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 4:36pm On Aug 26, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Hello Chief,
Pls do you have idea of cost of the new O2 sensor (Bank1 Sensor1) and Valve stem seals that can fit the car?
Thanks for your professional support always.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2015
olamikhx:

Hello Chief,
Pls do you have idea of cost of the new O2 sensor (Bank1 Sensor1) and Valve stem seals that can fit the car?
Thanks for your professional support always.

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by olamikhx(m): 10:58am On Aug 27, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Nice talking to you on phone. I appreciate your time. Will get back to you once ready.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (504) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: jceesquare(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.