Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,338 members, 7,780,888 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:54 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (899863 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (504) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dinyelutochukwu: 4:49pm On Oct 02, 2014
Hi GAZZUZZ,
More power to your elbows for all you have done in the past, and what you are yet to do for us in this forum,
I did an ATF change on my 2007 Camry, the next morning I inspected the car and noticed drops of oil from the sump area underneath the car.
I took the car back to the mechanic who screwed some nuts and assured me the leak won't re-occur.
This morning, I just noticed oil leak from underneath the car again. and the mechanic seems short of ideas.
Please, what can I do to salvage this situation.

Your timely response and that of other experts in the house will be highly appreciated.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
dinyelutochukwu: Hi GAZZUZZ,
More power to your elbows for all you have done in the past, and what you are yet to do for us in this forum,
I did an ATF change on my 2007 Camry, the next morning I inspected the car and noticed drops of oil from the sump area underneath the car.
I took the car back to the mechanic who screwed some nuts and assured me the leak won't re-occur.
This morning, I just noticed oil leak from underneath the car again. and the mechanic seems short of ideas.
Please, what can I do to salvage this situation.

Your timely response and that of other experts in the house will be highly appreciated.

I guess you have to drain the entire thing again into a clean container free of contaminants and this time pay attention to the washer around the drain bolt, I usually use soft card board as a washer (works for me) but if you can get a new washer fine, problem solved.
When you are done filter and pour the oil back.
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP1wb0HB-BCZ_SYGqfKZkc2U91MsCe992570Lv2GebQMqWO3PO5FE_n9l0Xg[/img]

Also go under the vehicle your self and see the leak your self.

Good luck.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dinyelutochukwu: 6:09pm On Oct 02, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I guess you have to drain the entire thing again into a clean container free of contaminants and this time pay attention to the washer around the drain bolt, I usually use soft card board as a washer (works for me) but if you can get a new washer fine, problem solved.
When you are done filter and pour the oil back.
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP1wb0HB-BCZ_SYGqfKZkc2U91MsCe992570Lv2GebQMqWO3PO5FE_n9l0Xg[/img]

Also go under the vehicle your self and see the leak your self.

Good luck.

Thank you sir for your prompt response. I actually drove the car into a pit, then went underneath to visually inspect the leak. I will do as told.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dadalicious: 6:27am On Oct 03, 2014
@ GAZZUZZ you are really trying.
please looking at getting a low budget car.
what make is easier and cheap to maintain.
your advice will be greatly appreciated
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:50am On Oct 03, 2014
dadalicious: @ GAZZUZZ you are really trying.
please looking at getting a low budget car.
what make is easier and cheap to maintain.
your advice will be greatly appreciated

What's ur budget? E.g 400-500k 500-700k? I love toyotas, easy to maintain and quite rugged let me know ur budget so we can narrow it down.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 7:53am On Oct 05, 2014
Please, what are the signs of a bad throttle position sensor in a 2001 Accord?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:01am On Oct 05, 2014
Macmilla:
Please, what are the signs of a bad throttle position sensor in a 2001 Accord?

The engine idles rough, this is when the vehicle is in a stationary position and you get a rough feeling from the engine almost as if the vehicle wants to stall out. Finally you may find that the vehicle hesitates on acceleration. To make a proper diagnosis please scan vehicle.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 9:27am On Oct 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

The engine idles rough, this is when the vehicle is in a stationary position and you get a rough feeling from the engine almost as if the vehicle wants to stall out. Finally you may find that the vehicle hesitates on acceleration. To make a proper diagnosis please scan vehicle.
Thanks.
I know about the scanning. I've actually ordered for a wireless scanner but wanted to get more info here.
The car idles a bit erratic a times but mostly steady. But the engine won't rev above 4000rpm (query limp mode) and much noticeable is that response to throttling is erratic. Most times the car acts like it's afraid to move and few times it acts as if something is pursuing it.
I hope the problem is as simple as changing the TPS and not my gearbox.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:36am On Oct 05, 2014
Macmilla:

Thanks.
I know about the scanning. I've actually ordered for a wireless scanner but wanted to get more info here.
The car idles a bit erratic a times but mostly steady. But the engine won't rev above 4000rpm (query limp mode) and much noticeable is that response to throttling is erratic. Most times the car acts like it's afraid and few times it acts as if something is pursuing it.
I hope the problem is as simple as changing the TPS and not my gearbox.

Looks like a vtec solenoid issue [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQP2IJ1pRVbkLAQ-H-OA489Gnr3QEZxLHzlpa0iKO2t28mqrhk9Nhjeg5hg[/img], scan and let me know
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 12:19pm On Oct 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Looks like a vtec solenoid issue [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQP2IJ1pRVbkLAQ-H-OA489Gnr3QEZxLHzlpa0iKO2t28mqrhk9Nhjeg5hg[/img], scan and let me know
Thanks mate. I will make it a priority to get back to you once my scanner arrives.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2014
Macmilla:

Thanks mate. I will make it a priority to get back to you once my scanner arrives.

https://www.nairaland.com/chiebube
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

https://www.nairaland.com/chiebube
I just saw ur profile and saw the scanner you advertised.
How much is it and what can it do?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
Macmilla:

I just saw ur profile and saw the scanner you advertised.
How much is it and what can it do?
it scans and pulls out all check engine codes. scans engine sensors, transmission sensors, fuel and air metering sensors, O2 sensors in the exhaust.
It DOES NOT scan ABS and AIRBAG sensors.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2014
it also clears the check engine codes in your ECU after repairs. 08034533668. i saw ur pm
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chimexview: 9:07pm On Oct 05, 2014
I want to get a camry 99 model aka tiny light..plz I need advice on weda to buy V6 or i4? Its actually my first ride and I want to hv a good driving experience. Thanks in advance
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chimexview: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2014
I want to get a camry 99 model aka tiny light..plz I need advice on weda to buy V6 or i4? Its actually my first ride and I want to hv a good driving experience and what other things I should look out for when buying?. Thanks in advance
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:23am On Oct 06, 2014
chimexview:
I want to get a camry 99 model aka tiny light..plz I need advice on weda to buy V6 or i4? Its actually my first ride and I want to hv a good driving experience and what other things I should look out for when buying?. Thanks in advance

With a camry v6 engine you are assured of more power, driving experience would be very good. v6 engines are very durable if well maintained but city driving gives very poor gas mileage, and also has poor re-sale value if I were in your shoes I would opt for the 4 cylinder version.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Adetayomi: 6:49am On Oct 06, 2014
Please my car is Nissan Primera sport 2001 something with the ac on after driving for a while the rpm become unstable. Fluactuating and rev can go as high as 5000rpm please what could be the cause?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:07am On Oct 06, 2014
Adetayomi:
Please my car is Nissan Primera sport 2001 something with the ac on after driving for a while the rpm become unstable. Fluactuating and rev can go as high as 5000rpm please what could be the cause?

Since your car is 2001 it can be scanned, please scan your vehicle, the high rpm can be caused by a stuck throttle cable, leaking vaccum from intake also a faulty IACV "idle air control valve" might cause it but I doubt it would get to as high as 5rpm if its iacv but still its worth looning at pic is attached for its location.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Adetayomi: 8:55am On Oct 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Since your car is 2001 it can be scanned, please scan your vehicle, the high rpm can be caused by a stuck throttle cable, leaking vaccum from intake also a faulty IACV "idle air control valve" might cause it but I doubt it would get to as high as 5rpm if its iacv but still its worth looning at pic is attached for its location.
. Thanks for Quick reply will scan the car.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by chimexview: 2:37pm On Oct 06, 2014
Thanks

GAZZUZZ:

With a camry v6 engine you are assured of more power, driving experience would be very good. v6 engines are very durable if well maintained but city driving gives very poor gas mileage, and also has poor re-sale value if I were in your shoes I would opt for the 4 cylinder version.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 2:44pm On Oct 06, 2014
Hello Mr Gazzuz.. scanned my 2003 Toyota solara 2Az-Fe engine and got these codes.

P1130- O2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) signal error.

P0420- catalyst system efficiency (bank 1) Below threshold.

Please what does this mean and what is the solution .

Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2014
TCD:
Hello Mr Gazzuz.. scanned my 2003 Toyota solara 2Az-Fe engine and got these codes.

P1130- O2 sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) signal error.

P0420- catalyst system efficiency (bank 1) Below threshold.

Please what does this mean and what is the solution .

Thanks

Please run a live scan and see if the O2 sensor is working, also reset codes and re-scan after a 100km or when your check light illuminates again. Finally ensure you fix "ALL" leaks in your exhaust system.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by TCD: 6:15pm On Oct 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Please run a live scan and see if the O2 sensor is working, also reset codes and re-scan after a 100km or when your check light illuminates again. Finally ensure you fix "ALL" leaks in your exhaust system.
thank you. I will do just that. actually reset the codes , will drive around for a few days and see if it returns
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Macmilla(m): 9:56am On Oct 08, 2014
I just did d scan and the following problems were reported
VTEC
Primary heated O2 sensor
Secondary heated O2 sensor
Automatic transaxle malfunction.

Please what do I do from here?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:20pm On Oct 08, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Macmilla:
I just did d scan and the following problems were reported
VTEC
Primary heated O2 sensor
Secondary heated O2 sensor
Automatic transaxle malfunction.
Please what do I do from here?

Replace Vtec its in the picture above, that's why your car is not reving past 3000rpm
Replace both oxygen sensors (this will fix the fuel consumption) also give me a specific code for your transaxle malfunction.

If you fix all these you are almost done.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by whao: 2:00pm On Oct 09, 2014
I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima which have been serving me well but recently I noticed that when ever it want to enter the second gear it will gear in hard.
I when to see a mechanic and then remove service the valve but it still enter the second gear hard and with a sound "guk". I when for diagnosis and nothing was found either. Please is there any help you can render. I use seahost DXII for the gear transmission.

Again, the car consumes lots of fuel beyond my imagination this days. It consumes 45lits from Abuja to Jos and its a V6 engine. Is there anything I can do about the fuel consumption?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
whao:
I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima which have been serving me well but recently I noticed that when ever it want to enter the second gear it will gear in hard.
I when to see a mechanic and then remove service the valve but it still enter the second gear hard and with a sound "guk". I when for diagnosis and nothing was found either. Please is there any help you can render. I use seahost DXII for the gear transmission.

Again, the car consumes lots of fuel beyond my imagination this days. It consumes 45lits from Abuja to Jos and its a V6 engine. Is there anything I can do about the fuel consumption?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

The correct transmission oil for your vehicle is dextronIII not dextronII

Since you said a scan reviled nothing then your fuel consumption is probably due to your driving pattern, but I guess you need to get a proper engine scan. As for the hard shifting, please get another transsmission to avoid wasting money on unnessesary money on repairs.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by ugobanks: 5:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Since you said a scan reviled nothing then your fuel consumption is probably due to your driving pattern, but I guess you need to get a proper engine scan. As for the hard shifting, please get another transsmission to avoid wasting money on unnessesary money on repairs.
Hello gazzuz,pls I need your technical guidance. My car goes off on the road while I am driving. No jerks. It just goes off and restarts after 15mins. Its a toyota corolla 2010. I ran a scan and the results interpreted showed the inhibitor switch had a wrong connection. I also showed there were issues with the immobiliser communication system.
Pls what do I do
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by whao: 5:37pm On Oct 09, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Thank you my brother! But I will like yo know the particular transmission oil to use. Will it still be the Seahost or ATF, cos I learn there are varieties of company's producing the transmission oil.

Thanks bro.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2014
Double poSt
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:46pm On Oct 09, 2014
ugobanks:

Hello gazzuz,pls I need your technical guidance. My car goes off on the road while I am driving. No jerks. It just goes off and restarts after 15mins. Its a toyota corolla 2010. I ran a scan and the results interpreted showed the inhibitor switch had a wrong connection. I also showed there were issues with the immobiliser communication system.
Pls what do I do

Which inhibitor switch? Pls actual codes are preferable.

Problem seems to be centered around the immobilzer, for now try and use your vehicle with the spare key.

Wheres your location?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (504) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.