Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:34 PM

You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often (2556 Views)

Deadly Habits That Will Make You Unsuccessful And Struggle Eternally / 6 Mistakes You Will Likely Make Between Age 20-30 AS A Young Nigerian / 13 Habits Of Highly Unsuccessful People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 3:14pm On Jun 27, 2014
Most unsuccessful people live in a bubble of hopelessness trying to figure out how to break out of their cell (or cubicle). It's sad. One person I know is so unhappy and stuck that he seems to always be moving backward, not forward--faltering so much in his lack of productivity that it's almost comical. Being around unsuccessful people is never fun.

If you listen to folks who can't seem to push ahead in their career or who have never started a company or led large groups of people, they all seem to mimic the same speech patterns. They talk the same language. Here are the 10 phrases they always use. Spot this negative talk in others (or in yourself), and you'll find the wrench in your business's growth.

[size=14pt]1. "That's impossible"[/size]
The most unsuccessful people are always pointing out what is not possible. "Oh, we can't make an app like that because it will compete too much with Tumblr" or "That new Bluetooth speaker won't generate any sales because there are too many on the market already." They live in a world of impossibilities; they have a can't-do attitude. And they are sinking the ship of success.

[size=14pt]2. "I can do it all myself"[/size]
When you hear someone on your team or a colleague insisting how he can finish a project or how he can complete the work better without any help from other employees, take note: That person is going to slow things down and may eventually ruin the project. He or she will not create an atmosphere of success but has only his or her ambition in mind. Ironically enough, unsuccessful people are always those who push their own agenda and don't see the value of teamwork. That's the very thing that ruins their career.

[size=14pt]3. "I have a problem with that"[/size]
Nitpickers never prosper; they’re great at fault finding and never seem to offer matching solutions. Your team would do far better without them.

[size=14pt]4. "Don't forget the details"[/size]
People who are really unsuccessful are crippled by their task list. The most successful people are those who see the goal and know how to get there. Most important, they know that the details on a project are a means to an end. Finishing a task list is not a sign of success; creating a lasting company that makes an outstanding product is.

[size=14pt]5. "I like my own idea"[/size]
Have you noticed how people at work sometimes like only their own ideas? It is a sign of selfishness and shows an inability to embrace the team objective. It also spells disaster. Those who like and promote only their own ideas are severely limited, because none of us can achieve success with only our own ideas. Imagine trying to build a company by never entertaining any other ideas. Collaboration always propels a company forward.

[size=14pt]6. "I don't need your input"[/size]
Here's another phrase people use when they have decided not to work as a team. It's a little different from saying you can do it all by yourself. It means that person is not even open to ideas. Projects stall out and fizzle when those on the team stop seeking input from others. When a curmudgeon comes along and says he or she doesn't need any more input from anyone, that person has essentially decided not to be a success.

[size=14pt]7. "I already know that"[/size]
This phrase is a sign of pure defensiveness--it means a grumbler in your company has stopped trying to learn and grow and has become more interested in being perceived as all knowing. It's one thing to speak knowledgeably about a topic and add insight; it's another to constantly insist on being the only smart one. One is a sign of being helpful to a project, and the other is a sign of pure self-ambition. Learning never stops.

[size=14pt]8. "Let me check my schedule"[/size]
If someone always insists on checking his or her schedule for availability, that person is inhibiting a project's success. It might be a valid excuse, but it could also be a way to avoid being helpful. In my experience, it means that person is sending a message about being too busy to help a project along and too focused on a personal agenda. He or she says, "Let me check 'my' schedule" instead of figuring out the overall needs. Sometimes, it's better to just jump on an opportunity and worry about scheduling later.

[size=14pt]9. "You must be wrong about that"[/size]
Wait, the other person must be wrong? Really? This phrase is a red flag on the road to success, because the person saying it is assuming the people he or she works with are dummies; the person believes there is only one "right" person in the room. That's rarely the case. Instead, it's a sign of success when you admit you need help. It's better to accept that others might be right about something and accept your own limitations.

[size=14pt]10. "I can't"[/size]
Unsuccessful people like to talk about what they can't do. Starting a company means embracing the fact that there will be countless roadblocks. Talk about what you can do. People will tell you what is not possible, but when anyone starts using the word can't, it means trouble. Saying you can't do something means you forgot about a basic tenet: that person has started to take no for an answer and stopped looking for workarounds.

http://www.inc.com/john-brandon/10-phrases-remarkably-unsuccesful-people-always-use.html?cid=readmore

1 Like

Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 27, 2014
MizMyColi: Most unsuccessful people live in a bubble of hopelessness trying to figure out how to break out of their cell (or cubicle). It's sad. One person I know is so unhappy and stuck that he seems to always be moving backward, not forward--faltering so much in his lack of productivity that it's almost comical. Being around unsuccessful people is never fun.

If you listen to folks who can't seem to push ahead in their career or who have never started a company or led large groups of people, they all seem to mimic the same speech patterns. They talk the same language. Here are the 10 phrases they always use. Spot this negative talk in others (or in yourself), and you'll find the wrench in your business's growth.

[size=14pt]1. "That's impossible"[/size]
The most unsuccessful people are always pointing out what is not possible. "Oh, we can't make an app like that because it will compete too much with Tumblr" or "That new Bluetooth speaker won't generate any sales because there are too many on the market already." They live in a world of impossibilities; they have a can't-do attitude. And they are sinking the ship of success.

[size=14pt]2. "I can do it all myself"[/size]
When you hear someone on your team or a colleague insisting how he can finish a project or how he can complete the work better without any help from other employees, take note: That person is going to slow things down and may eventually ruin the project. He or she will not create an atmosphere of success but has only his or her ambition in mind. Ironically enough, unsuccessful people are always those who push their own agenda and don't see the value of teamwork. That's the very thing that ruins their career.

[size=14pt]3. "I have a problem with that"[/size]
Nitpickers never prosper; they’re great at fault finding and never seem to offer matching solutions. Your team would do far better without them.

[size=14pt]4. "Don't forget the details"[/size]
People who are really unsuccessful are crippled by their task list. The most successful people are those who see the goal and know how to get there. Most important, they know that the details on a project are a means to an end. Finishing a task list is not a sign of success; creating a lasting company that makes an outstanding product is.

[size=14pt]5. "I like my own idea"[/size]
Have you noticed how people at work sometimes like only their own ideas? It is a sign of selfishness and shows an inability to embrace the team objective. It also spells disaster. Those who like and promote only their own ideas are severely limited, because none of us can achieve success with only our own ideas. Imagine trying to build a company by never entertaining any other ideas. Collaboration always propels a company forward.

[size=14pt]6. "I don't need your input"[/size]
Here's another phrase people use when they have decided not to work as a team. It's a little different from saying you can do it all by yourself. It means that person is not even open to ideas. Projects stall out and fizzle when those on the team stop seeking input from others. When a curmudgeon comes along and says he or she doesn't need any more input from anyone, that person has essentially decided not to be a success.

[size=14pt]7. "I already know that"[/size]
This phrase is a sign of pure defensiveness--it means a grumbler in your company has stopped trying to learn and grow and has become more interested in being perceived as all knowing. It's one thing to speak knowledgeably about a topic and add insight; it's another to constantly insist on being the only smart one. One is a sign of being helpful to a project, and the other is a sign of pure self-ambition. Learning never stops.

[size=14pt]8. "Let me check my schedule"[/size]
If someone always insists on checking his or her schedule for availability, that person is inhibiting a project's success. It might be a valid excuse, but it could also be a way to avoid being helpful. In my experience, it means that person is sending a message about being too busy to help a project along and too focused on a personal agenda. He or she says, "Let me check 'my' schedule" instead of figuring out the overall needs. Sometimes, it's better to just jump on an opportunity and worry about scheduling later.

[size=14pt]9. "You must be wrong about that"[/size]
Wait, the other person must be wrong? Really? This phrase is a red flag on the road to success, because the person saying it is assuming the people he or she works with are dummies; the person believes there is only one "right" person in the room. That's rarely the case. Instead, it's a sign of success when you admit you need help. It's better to accept that others might be right about something and accept your own limitations.

[size=14pt]10. "I can't"[/size]
Unsuccessful people like to talk about what they can't do. Starting a company means embracing the fact that there will be countless roadblocks. Talk about what you can do. People will tell you what is not possible, but when anyone starts using the word can't, it means trouble. Saying you can't do something means you forgot about a basic tenet: that person has started to take no for an answer and stopped looking for workarounds.

http://www.inc.com/john-brandon/10-phrases-remarkably-unsuccesful-people-always-use.html?cid=readmore

Hi,I missed you
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 4:31pm On Jun 27, 2014
Odilafta:

Hi,I missed you

The feeling's mutual deariee grin
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Boland(m): 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2014
There are alot of them around. People that believe they are the smartest, I just ignore them. Nice one Op.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by dre11(m): 9:25am On Jun 28, 2014
Quite helpful tips.........

But, we still find ourself exhibiting one of those trait from the tips u highlighted....
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 9:59am On Jun 28, 2014
Boland: There are alot of them around. People that believe they are the smartest, I just ignore them. Nice one Op.
Thanks smiley
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 10:01am On Jun 28, 2014
dre11: Quite helpful tips.........

But, we still find our self exhibiting one of those trait from the tips u highlighted....

True Dre, its a matter of learning.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 1:44am On Jun 29, 2014
Bar points 1,3,4 & 10, the other points raised has got to do with extreme narcissisim - the egotistical preoccupation with personal preferences.

Most of 'em {narcissistics} are successful, it's just that they've got a personality disorder that makes 'em believe that the world revolves around them.

So those aren't the phrases of the 'unsuccessful' - 'I cant' and 'Its Impossible' are. It's stuck on their lips each passing day.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 9:51am On Jun 29, 2014
and El Guapo has Spoken grin grin
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 10:04am On Jun 29, 2014
True, El, @ narcissistic people being successful[Or so they think]

However, imo, being successful isn't just about reaching and/or surpassing my goals, no, it's beyond that. Its about helping people get to where I've gotten to and see them surpass me even!
For me, the greatest joy would be that I contributed in no small measure to who and where they are. I can only call myself successful when I Lead Leaders..

One of the pivotal characteristic of being a good leader is the uncanny ability to be a Follower, a good one at that. That's one thing missing in the DNA of those who practice narcissism.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 29, 2014
MizMyColi:

True, El, @ narcissistic people being successful[Or so they think]

However, imo, being successful isn't just about reaching and/or surpassing my goals, no, it's beyond that. Its about helping people get to where I've gotten to and see them surpass me even!

For me, the greatest joy would be that I contributed in no small measure to who and where they are. I can only call myself successful when I Lead Leaders..

One of the pivotal characteristic of being a good leader is the uncanny ability to be a Follower, a good one at that. That's one thing missing in the DNA of those who practice narcissism.

Well If anyone told me they could unequivocally define 'Success', I'd think they were either a liar or could walk on water.

The term doesn't have a universal definition, just diverging views borne out of sentiment.

You've made decent points up there but some sections would disagree with you b'cos your view doesn't align with theirs.

A guy who just graduated from the college with a nice degree, landed a big job, got married and had kids could be percieved to be successful, so it all boils down to personal view.

Just like Einstein would say, strive to be of value not of success - that's the best advice one could offer you.

2 Likes

Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 11:26am On Jun 29, 2014
El Guapo:

Well If anyone told me they could unequivocally define 'Success', I'd think they were either a liar or could walk on water.

The term doesn't have a universal definition, just diverging views borne out of sentiment.

You've made decent points up there but some sections would disagree with you b'cos your view doesn't align with theirs.

A guy who just graduated from the college with a nice degree, landed a big job, got married and had kids could be percieved to be successful, so it all boils down to personal view.

Just like Einstein would say, strive to be of value not of success - that's the best advice one could offer you.
^^^ I couldn't agree less. Can't post on the FG section just yet. I'm still "new"
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 29, 2014
MizMyColi: ^^^ I couldn't agree less. Can't post on the FG section just yet. I'm still "new"

Too bad.

So i'd have to wait for how long till I get to know who you are?
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 11:58am On Jun 29, 2014
El Guapo:

Too bad.

So i'd have to wait for how long till I get to know who you are?
You tell me. smiley You're the "Oldie" here.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 29, 2014
MizMyColi: You tell me. smiley You're the "Oldie" here.

Nah it's not about longevity.

Its just that.... I....

I was actually crazy in love with you in the future, we had plans to visit Panama for our summer holiday, we were damn fond of eachother and all that but alas, here am I, bombed back in time.

Someone berra push me back to the future, I need to relive the yet to happen cheesy
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
El Guapo:

Nah it's not about longevity.

Its just that.... I....

I was actually crazy in love with you in the future, we had plans to visit Panama for our summer holiday, we were damn fond of eachother and all that but alas, here am I, bombed back in time.

Someone berra push me back to the future, I need to relive the yet to happen cheesy

cheesy cheesy LoL....

Reading through, I had this Dejavu moment.....Like I'd encountered you before in my past life? [future maybe]

I was told, a certain MizMyColi, with looks same as mine once walked this planet NL before the great annihilation.

It's being rumoured among the surviving few that I might be her incarnate.

Now, I wonder what she was like, who she was, friends she made, her legacy......

3 Likes

Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by chucky234(m): 2:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
Odilafta:

Hi,I missed you
Must you quote the already lengthy post just to type this debris you heaped above, chronic goon.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Elxandre(m): 2:12pm On Jun 29, 2014
MizMyColi have you found what you were looking for in your bag at last cheesy cheesy
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 29, 2014
MizMyColi:
cheesy cheesy LoL....

Reading through, I had this Dejavu moment.....Like I'd encountered you before in my past life? [future maybe]

I was told, a certain MizMyColi, with looks same as mine once walked this planet NL before the great annihilation.

It's being rumoured among the surviving few that I might be her incarnate.

Now, I wonder what she was like, who she was, friends she made, her legacy......

This whole idea makes me look like a 1000-year-old that've got lotta stories to tell cheesy grin

Bae I did miss you kiss
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 29, 2014
chucky234: Must you quote the already lengthy post just to type this debris you heaped above, chronic goon.

?
Coward..Must you spew gibberish in Patrick Obahiagbon's style to make a point
STUPID OLD FAMISHED sadducee
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by chucky234(m): 2:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
Odilafta:

?
Coward..Must you spew gibberish in Patrick Obahiagbon's style to make a point
STUPID OLD FAMISHED sadducee
Thank your creator that today is Sabath.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 29, 2014
chucky234: Thank your creator that today is Sabath.

What would you have done?

Banter words with a lady that never had a word for you?

Just stop replying already!
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by chucky234(m): 4:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
El Guapo:

What would you have done?

Banter words with a lady that never had a word for you?

Just stop replying already!
Banter word? Nah.....
I would have closed her eyes with hot resounding e-slap.
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 29, 2014
Odilafta:

Hi,I missed you
You quoted the whole post for that. undecided ?
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 6:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
Elxandre: MizMyColi have you found what you were looking for in your bag at last cheesy cheesy
cheesy cheesy.... LoL, if I have I would have taken the picture down smiley
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 6:40pm On Jun 29, 2014
El Guapo:

This whole idea makes me look like a 1000-year-old that've got lotta stories to tell cheesy grin

Bae I did miss you kiss
It's Mutual El, missed you too smiley
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by bestads(m): 12:16am On Jul 05, 2014
97% of nigerians use these words

http://www./pingaworkbiz
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 11:39am On Jul 05, 2014
bestads: 97% of nigerians use these words

http://www./pingaworkbiz
Are You Ghanian?
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by agabaI23(m): 11:28am On Jul 06, 2014
This girl comes across as someone who devours novels. Listen to her reasoning!!!
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
*looks around* Which geh, me?? grin wink
agabaI23: This girl comes across as someone who devours novels. Listen to her reasoning!!!
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by agabaI23(m): 1:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
MizMyColi: *looks around* Which geh, me?? grin wink
Yes you. I'm I wrong?
Re: You'll Likely Be Unsuccessful If You Use The Following Phrases Often by MizMyColi(f): 1:43pm On Jul 06, 2014
agabaI23: Yes you. I'm I wrong?
To an extent, no. I do a lot of random reading smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Do Nigeria Legion Charge To Recruit In Lagos? / Get A Job Today With The No.1 Job/recruitment Agency In WARRI/BENIN / FRSC Recruitment Form Now On Sale .... Here Is How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.