Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,828 members, 7,802,648 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Restless...story Of A Survivor. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Restless...story Of A Survivor. (54930 Views)

The Last Wolf Series : The Forgotten Mate (December 2015 Story of the Month) / Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor / Story Of A Cancer Survivor (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 6:54pm On Jun 27, 2014
hmmm, i cant seem to find any of my posts o! well thank God i have soft copies handy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2014
DEDICATION
To the loving memory of Olukunle Fijabi who left too soon

PROLOGUE…….
I cannot remember when it actually started: I mean when events took a drastic turn in my life. I was a regular Girl growing up in a regular urban environment in Enugu. Abakpa Nike is Urban at least when compared to the likes of Ngwogo Nike, Ibagwa Nike and numerous inaccessible Villages in the State.

I was born the fourth successive female Child to Mr. and Mrs. Felix Chinedu. I have three younger siblings and the only boy being the youngest. His name is Chinedu but we call him Junior.
Daddy was a contractor supplying Materials to Companies like ANAMCO and EMENITE. He was always on the move attending meetings and interviews on week days and social functions at weekends.

Mummy taught at Army day secondary school, now Command day secondary School Abakpa Enugu.
The Family had four Cars: A Mercedes Benz 200 series, a 504 Peugeot Saloon Car, a 404 Peugeot Pick-up van and a Hiace Bus. We lived in our own House, a twin Duplex at the Federal Housing estate Abakpa Nike, Enugu.

Growing up was fun, we were many in the House, seven Children, two maids, extended family members always visiting. Our House was always a haven for meetings and parties as our parent belonged to several associations. Mum belonged to the Catholic association of Christian Mothers, Association of Ikwere women, Prudent Women association which is a credit and thrift society. She is also the P.R.O of the State Chapter of the Nigerian union of teachers.

Daddy belonged to about seven social Clubs. When he is not attending any social or serious function, he plays Golf on Thursday evenings or Saturday mornings. Dad always told us that Golf playing is a link to People that mattered. Most of the Contract deals he got were sealed on the Golf Pitch and delivered in the office the next day. Dad never misses and appointment and is the most time conscious person I have seen in my life.
Most last Saturdays of the month, Dads Driver would take the Children in the Hiace Bus to Polo Park along Abakaliki Road for pure amusement. While we run about the Park catching fun, Uncle KC, Dad’s driver would be trying to ensure that we do not stray out of his sight. To Us Kids it was like playing hide and seek but to him, he was protecting his Job! The amusement park is located adjacent to the state owned Polytechnic, The Institute of management and Technology.

Our Parent met in that Institution popularly known by its acronym, I.M.T. Dad graduated with upper credit grade in Building and Quantity Survey department while Mummy graduated with lower credit grade in Secretarial Studies. They said their love story started on the stair case.
Dad would always reiterate on how they normally steal glances at each other whenever they met while one is ascending and the other descending the stair case to and from their Lecture rooms both upstairs on the same Building at Campus 3 independence layout Enugu.

On this fateful day, Daddy would boast: when they met as usual, Daddy blocked Mummy from passing through and challenged her: Come! Why are you always stealing glances at me whenever our Paths cross? How do you mean? Mummy had asked. Any time I am on this stair case, you are here too, anytime I turn around to stare at your back side, you do the same too! Why? He asked her. Mummy had blushed and was very embarrassed. How can you say I turn back to look at your back side! She said. Then why do you turn around? To look at my long head? I don’t know! She had said, maybe it’s just a coincidence! Good! Dad said, At least you did not deny turning back to stare at your husband even though he has not approached you for that yet... My name is Felix Chinedu Amadi, HND 1 Building Department, I am from Rivers state and Ikwere by tribe. She replied, I am Ogbonna Ada OND 1 Secretarial studies ,I am from Unubi in Anambra State.

Daddy could go on telling the same story over and over while Mummy interjects intermittently to affirm or oppose him. They never got tired of discussing their relationship. Even the day Daddy died on his bed at the University of Nigeria teaching Hospital Enugu they had been discussing and laughing till he died with a smile on Lip…….That is the only sane and sweet part of my Life and it died with my father. My name is Deborah Adanne Amadi.

Part 1

Chapter 1

Smelling a Rat…

It was on April fool’s day in 1993. I was a JSS 2 Student at Command Secondary School Abakaliki, a total boarding school with military affiliation for Boys and Girls.
We have just had our last lesson for the day delivered by Madam Ezumah, the Home economics Teacher. It was almost close of school and time for lunch. Thursdays were very significant days at School back then because at lunch we were served Jollof y rice, fish and Banana. We called it “Banana race” day and it was serious business because you prepare for it as if preparing for a local Olympic!
Once the School time keeper picks the Bell up to ring at 2.30PM, the first clang of the bell sends every Banana ambitious Student out of the class room dashing at 100 metres speed towards the dining hall. The race was for the swift. The aim was to arrive at the Dining table first and pick the biggest and most succulent Banana and if possible steal from other Dining tables en-route yours. You could equally steal one or two from your own Table and pass it to a friend for keeps before the arrival of other Table members, there by rendering late arrivals Banana less! If you attended a Boarding School, you will follow my drift.

The Dining Hall was divided into Boys and Girls sections and we normally queue into the hall during meals but on Thursday, that rule does not apply as every opening like, Doors, windows and vents becomes an entry point. Only do not be caught, you would be so sorry if you are.
I had my plans well laid out. My cutlery and that of my senior roommate in my nylon bag, my mind set on the open window by my dining Table, and on the main entrance as my plan “B”. My eyes focused on the class room exit, my ears drawn and stretched to capture the faintest sound of a bell. The sound of a spoon dropping on the floor would spring me out of the Class room. And that is the same mood majority of the Students were at such period.

The Clock was ticking! My heart was beating! One hundred and eighty seconds more and the anxiety would be over…Let this Cup pass me by, though it is self-imposed, let it pass. I looked around the Classroom; everyone was on alert, all eyes at the exit! The mood here was tensed. Some Boys were already on their feet, some stood close the door restless, and I wished I was a Boy, I so wished I was a Boy! But as a Girl I had to pretend. Pretend all was well until the bell rings and all hell will be let loose as if a fire alarm had sounded. The only sign of anxiety I displayed was the tapping of my pen on my Desk.

Suddenly the Boys at the Door ran back to their Desks and sat. Meaning that a teacher or prefect was approaching. What a time for an intruder to come into our Class? At the eleventh hour? The Bell would sound any moment from now, this is injury time!
Into the Class room came Madam Mbaneto, my House Mistress as well as French Teacher. We all stood up and chorused: Bonjour madam Mbaneto!

Bonjour te le monde! She replied, comment te le vous?

And we replied “Tres bien! Merci!

Asii! She said and we sat down.

She moved about the Classroom looking at our faces. Ten seconds more. Be gone woman!

Deborah Amadi! She called out.

I sprang up as it coincided with the sound of the school bell. Did the School bell call my name or what? Follow me now! She commanded as she turned, moving towards the exit wriggling her waist.

I always admired her rear view; I wished I would develop such hips when I grow up. But today I hated her as I watched through teary eyes as Students rush to the dining Hall. No! She was not referring to me; I looked around and saw one of the Classroom windows stood ajar, in a jiffy I was out through the window dashing towards the Dining hall. Only two of my Class Boys were already at my front, Gbadebo and Usani, with these two, no one contests!

Deborah! Deborah! Come back here! Madam Mbaneto bellowed.

I stopped in my track, I knew better than to continue running, I had lost the race and the prize as well. All I could do was whisper to Cordellia “Cordellia please help me keep my banana” you hear? She said okay but I knew I would not get any Banana that day because Cordellia herself has not had a Banana since the beginning of the Term, she will never rush for Banana.

I plodded back to meet my House mistress. To my Office! She commanded. I stood akimbo panting as I nodded affirming her command. I turned and staggered towards her Office.

Uncle KC, Daddy’s Driver was in madam Mbaneto’s Office. It was a Thursday and first day of the Month. This must be somebody trying to play a prank on me on April fool’s day. But how would Daddy go this far? To send his Driver all the way from Enugu to Abakaliki!

Last Saturdays were the Schools “Visiting Days” I wondered what was happening on April fool’s day. However I rushed into his open Arms forgetting the pain in my heart. I thought my Parent decided to send Uncle KC to me at the beginning of the month because they did not visit me in the Month of March. His presence pacified me and I let go of the grief over my Banana loss. My Goodies would be in the Booth of whatever Car he came with.

The Door to the Office opened and the Administrative Officer (A.O) of the School Captain Salihu entered. Is this the Girl? He asked madam Mbaneto. Yes sir! Deborah Amadi: She said.

Derby how are you? Fine Sir! I replied. Yeah emm you are needed at home, you will go with your Daddy’s Driver and you are expected back here by next week Monday! Is that clear? Yes Sir! I replied more out of confusion. Just like that? What is my Parent celebrating that so much need s my presence? I pondered.
Well, I have nothing to lose I thought, after all I was going with the A.O’s approval. It is not easy to get an express permission to go home when it is not Mid-term break or Close of academic session.

Your House Mistress will accompany you to the Hostel to pick any of your belongings you want to take with you: He stressed. Okay Sir! I muttered. He left the way he came while we drove to the Hostel to pick my Traveling Bag.

That was the last day I saw the Gates of my Beloved Secondary School? A School that was moulding me positively in Character and in learning. A School which would have changed the course of my life for good. A School that taught me how to manage hunger, how to be independent, I learnt discipline, I learnt decorum, I learnt how to focus and read to understand , a School that exposed me to Children of the rich in the Country, Children of Senior military officers and top Politicians, Children of the Middle Class that up and doing , Children of the Poor that entered the School through Scholarship and have resolved to better their lot in the face of oppression from the Children of the rich by facing their studies squarely and topping their Class in academic activities. Command Secondary school had set in me a natural “fighting spirit”! And that was the only property I took out from that School, and it has kept me thus far.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by Jeanfortune(f): 4:27am On Jun 28, 2014
ha!!!, what happened here??
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 28, 2014
I don't know what went wrong, I wanted to sign in with my username and I was getting not registered, I had to open another account with the same username and email, I really don't know what happened to my previous account. Here I am thinking I must have missed a lot, I'm so surprise right now not to have found anything on your post. It is well
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:37pm On Jun 28, 2014
petylv: I don't know what went wrong, I wanted to sign in with my username and I was getting not registered, I had to open another account with the same username and email, I really don't know what happened to my previous account. Here I am thinking I must have missed a lot, I'm so surprise right now not to have found anything on your post. It is well
my Dear i tire o! even me too i had to re register using my old ID and email. everything about me and NL was wiped off, even the Story on Restless i uploaded is not visible. it is well o!
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:40pm On Jun 28, 2014
PROLOGUE…….

I cannot remember when it actually started: I mean when events took a drastic turn in my life. I was a regular Girl growing up in a regular urban environment in Enugu. Abakpa Nike is Urban at least when compared to the likes of Ngwogo Nike, Ibagwa Nike and numerous inaccessible Villages in the State.

I was born the fourth successive female Child to Mr. and Mrs. Felix Chinedu. I have three younger siblings and the only boy being the youngest. His name is Chinedu but we call him Junior.

Daddy was a contractor supplying Materials to Companies like ANAMCO and EMENITE. He was always on the move attending meetings and interviews on week days and social functions at weekends.
Mummy taught at Army day secondary school, now Comman
d day secondary School Abakpa Enugu.
The Family had four Cars: A Mercedes Benz 200 series, a 504 Peugeot Saloon Car, a 404 Peugeot Pick-up van and a Hiace Bus. We lived in our own House, a twin Duplex at the Federal Housing estate Abakpa Nike, Enugu.

Growing up was fun, we were many in the House, seven Children, two maids, extended family members always visiting. Our House was always a haven for meetings and parties as our parent belonged to several associations. Mum belonged to the Catholic association of Christian Mothers, Association of Ikwere women, Prudent Women association which is a credit and thrift society. She is also the P.R.O of the State Chapter of the Nigerian union of teachers.

Daddy belonged to about seven social Clubs. When he is not attending any social or serious function, he plays Golf on Thursday evenings or Saturday mornings. Dad always told us that Golf playing is a link to People that mattered. Most of the Contract deals he got were sealed on the Golf Pitch and delivered in the office the next day. Dad never misses and appointment and is the most time conscious person I have seen in my life.
Most last Saturdays of the month, Dads Driver would take the Children in the Hiace Bus to Polo Park along Abakaliki Road for pure amusement. While we run about the Park catching fun, Uncle KC, Dad’s driver would be trying to ensure that we do not stray out of his sight. To Us Kids it was like playing hide and seek but to him, he was protecting his Job! The amusement park is located adjacent to the state owned Polytechnic, The Institute of management and Technology.

Our Parent met in that Institution popularly known by its acronym, I.M.T. Dad graduated with upper credit grade in Building and Quantity Survey department while Mummy graduated with lower credit grade in Secretarial Studies. They said their love story started on the stair case.
Dad would always reiterate on how they normally steal glances at each other whenever they met while one is ascending and the other descending the stair case to and from their Lecture rooms both upstairs on the same Building at Campus 3 independence layout Enugu.

On this fateful day, Daddy would boast: when they met as usual, Daddy blocked Mummy from passing through and challenged her: Come! Why are you always stealing glances at me whenever our Paths cross? How do you mean? Mummy had asked. Any time I am on this stair case, you are here too, anytime I turn around to stare at your back side, you do the same too! Why? He asked her. Mummy had blushed and was very embarrassed. How can you say I turn back to look at your back side! She said. Then why do you turn around? To look at my long head? I don’t know! She had said, maybe it’s just a coincidence! Good! Dad said, At least you did not deny turning back to stare at your husband even though he has not approached you for that yet... My name is Felix Chinedu Amadi, HND 1 Building Department, I am from Rivers state and Ikwere by tribe. She replied, I am Ogbonna Ada OND 1 Secretarial studies ,I am from Unubi in Anambra State.

Daddy could go on telling the same story over and over while Mummy interjects intermittently to affirm or oppose him. They never got tired of discussing their relationship. Even the day Daddy died on his bed at the University of Nigeria teaching Hospital Enugu they had been discussing and laughing till he died with a smile on Lip…….That is the only sane and sweet part of my Life and it died with my father. My name is Deborah Adanne Amadi.

Part 1

Chapter 1

Smelling a Rat…

It was on April fool’s day in 1993. I was a JSS 2 Student at Command Secondary School Abakaliki, a total boarding school with military affiliation for Boys and Girls.

We have just had our last lesson for the day delivered by Madam Ezumah, the Home economics Teacher. It was almost close of school and time for lunch. Thursdays were very significant days at School back then because at lunch we were served Jollof y rice, fish and Banana. We called it “Banana race” day and it was serious business because you prepare for it as if preparing for a local Olympic!
Once the School time keeper picks the Bell up to ring at 2.30PM, the first clang of the bell sends every Banana ambitious Student out of the class room dashing at 100 metres speed towards the dining hall. The race was for the swift. The aim was to arrive at the Dining table first and pick the biggest and most succulent Banana and if possible steal from other Dining tables en-route yours. You could equally steal one or two from your own Table and pass it to a friend for keeps before the arrival of other Table members, there by rendering late arrivals Banana less! If you attended a Boarding School, you will follow my drift.

The Dining Hall was divided into Boys and Girls sections and we normally queue into the hall during meals but on Thursday, that rule does not apply as every opening like, Doors, windows and vents becomes an entry point. Only do not be caught, you would be so sorry if you are.
I had my plans well laid out. My cutlery and that of my senior roommate in my nylon bag, my mind set on the open window by my dining Table, and on the main entrance as my plan “B”. My eyes focused on the class room exit, my ears drawn and stretched to capture the faintest sound of a bell. The sound of a spoon dropping on the floor would spring me out of the Class room. And that is the same mood majority of the Students were at such period.

The Clock was ticking! My heart was beating! One hundred and eighty seconds more and the anxiety would be over…Let this Cup pass me by, though it is self-imposed, let it pass. I looked around the Classroom; everyone was on alert, all eyes at the exit! The mood here was tensed. Some Boys were already on their feet, some stood close the door restless, and I wished I was a Boy, I so wished I was a Boy! But as a Girl I had to pretend. Pretend all was well until the bell rings and all hell will be let loose as if a fire alarm had sounded. The only sign of anxiety I displayed was the tapping of my pen on my Desk.

Suddenly the Boys at the Door ran back to their Desks and sat. Meaning that a teacher or prefect was approaching. What a time for an intruder to come into our Class? At the eleventh hour? The Bell would sound any moment from now, this is injury time!
Into the Class room came Madam Mbaneto, my House Mistress as well as French Teacher. We all stood up and chorused: Bonjour madam Mbaneto!

Bonjour te le monde! She replied, comment te le vous?

And we replied “Tres bien! Merci!

Asii! She said and we sat down.

She moved about the Classroom looking at our faces. Ten seconds more. Be gone woman!

Deborah Amadi! She called out.

I sprang up as it coincided with the sound of the school bell. Did the School bell call my name or what? Follow me now! She commanded as she turned, moving towards the exit wriggling her waist.

I always admired her rear view; I wished I would develop such hips when I grow up. But today I hated her as I watched through teary eyes as Students rush to the dining Hall. No! She was not referring to me; I looked around and saw one of the Classroom windows stood ajar, in a jiffy I was out through the window dashing towards the Dining hall. Only two of my Class Boys were already at my front, Gbadebo and Usani, with these two, no one contests!

Deborah! Deborah! Come back here! Madam Mbaneto bellowed.

I stopped in my track, I knew better than to continue running, I had lost the race and the prize as well. All I could do was whisper to Cordellia “Cordellia please help me keep my banana” you hear? She said okay but I knew I would not get any Banana that day because Cordellia herself has not had a Banana since the beginning of the Term, she will never rush for Banana. I plodded back to meet my House mistress. To my Office! She commanded. I stood akimbo panting as I nodded affirming her command. I turned and staggered towards her Office.

Uncle KC, Daddy’s Driver was in madam Mbaneto’s Office. It was a Thursday and first day of the Month. This must be somebody trying to play a prank on me on April fool’s day. But how would Daddy go this far? To send his Driver all the way from Enugu to Abakaliki!
Last Saturdays were the Schools “Visiting Days” I wondered what was happening on April fool’s day. However I rushed into his open Arms forgetting the pain in my heart. I thought my Parent decided to send Uncle KC to me at the beginning of the month because they did not visit me in the Month of March. His presence pacified me and I let go of the grief over my Banana loss. My Goodies would be in the Booth of whatever Car he came with.

The Door to the Office opened and the Administrative Officer (A.O) of the School Captain Salihu entered. Is this the Girl? He asked madam Mbaneto. Yes sir! Deborah Amadi: She said.

Derby how are you? Fine Sir! I replied. Yeah emm you are needed at home, you will go with your Daddy’s Driver and you are expected back here by next week Monday! Is that clear? Yes Sir! I replied more out of confusion. Just like that? What is my Parent celebrating that so much need s my presence? I pondered.

Well, I have nothing to lose I thought, after all I was going with the A.O’s approval. It is not easy to get an express permission to go home when it is not Mid-term break or Close of academic session.

Your House Mistress will accompany you to the Hostel to pick any of your belongings you want to take with you: He stressed. Okay Sir! I muttered. He left the way he came while we drove to the Hostel to pick my Traveling Bag.

That was the last day I saw the Gates of my Beloved Secondary School? A School that was moulding me positively in Character and in learning. A School which would have changed the course of my life for good. A School that taught me how to manage hunger, how to be independent, I learnt discipline, I learnt decorum, I learnt how to focus and read to understand , a School that exposed me to Children of the rich in the Country, Children of Senior military officers and top Politicians, Children of the Middle Class that up and doing , Children of the Poor that entered the School through Scholarship and have resolved to better their lot in the face of oppression from the Children of the rich by facing their studies squarely and topping their Class in academic activities. Command Secondary school had set in me a natural “fighting spirit”! And that was the only property I took out from that School, and it has kept me thus far.

I left the School with only my traveling Bag! Every other Property I owned was abandoned in the Hostel because I thought I would be back by Monday as directed by the A.O. My friends, my hopes, my aspiration to be a Medical Doctor, my dreams were all left in Block “B” Room 5&6 Dragon House! That was how the only sweet phase of my life faded away. I was barely twelve years old, young, chaste and innocent!
On our way to Enugu I started to suspect that something was wrong. Uncle KC was gloomy and barely talked. I remembered that many times any Student was picked from school in this manner, something tragic must have happened at home. I asked after my Mother, he said she was fine. I asked about my father he barely uttered a reply, I then asked him why he had come to pick me from School, he did not do a good job trying to lie to me because the death of Dad affected him too. The old man suddenly burst into tears and started wailing like a Baby he had to park the Car by the road side.

He told me he had travelled down to our Village with Daddy and spent two day. It was a family meeting to settle some Land disputes. My Daddy had a lot of Lands he bought in our home town in Obio Akpor Local Government Area of River State. He said my Daddy must have been poisoned during the meetings because he started stooling and vomiting during the journey back to Enugu. He advised my Dad to go back to the Village for alternative medicine but Daddy insisted he drove to Enugu.

Daddy did not survive it as he died three days later at the Hospital when everyone thought he had stabilized. Dad was said to be talking and was in high Spirit on his Hospital Bed in company of Mummy when he suddenly passed out while laughing to a joke he had cracked. Daddy had died and that was why I was taken from school to attend his burial. I did not cry then. I did not understand.

Chapter 2

Reality dawns…

After the burial of my Father, things happened so fast in the family and after a year of his death, we were living in a Batcher! A make-shift House built with Zinc (roofing sheet) and plywood in the Army barracks at Abakpa in Enugu. This was a privilege given to my Mother because she was a Teacher at the Army secondary school.
Daddy had no written Will at his death and had not changed his next of Kin to my Mother or our only Son Chinedu so his younger Brother Uncle Amaechi, naturally inherited all my Father had because he has been my Father’s next of Kin in all documentations made by my father before he married. My father had

1 Like

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:41pm On Jun 28, 2014
not changed it because he has had no Son until Chinedu came and I guess He was procrastinating on changing it before death came calling.
Uncle Amaechi is six years younger than my Father and his only Brother. Dad had three siblings. He trained his younger brother through School till Uncle Amaechi graduated from U.N.N (University of Nigeria), got a Job with Union bank and married; He is blessed with Four Children, all male. We grew up loving Uncle Amaechi as a member of our family because he virtually lived with us while he was at School. He was around us and he watched us grow into teenagers. His first Son is the same age with our third born.

At the funeral scene of our father, Uncle Amaechi took center stage as every good Brother would do. My mother was ridiculed by the Women of the family, she was tagged a Witch and a murderer of their illustrious Son. Insults were hurled at my Mum for bearing six Girls; they even doubted the paternity of my Brother Chinedu. Only Chinedu was allowed to pour a handful of sand into my Father’s grave during the burial. My Mother and her Girls were “persona non grata”. I have never seen my Mother cry so hard! None came to console her, not even my Uncle. She was told to her face that she is a Stranger and should go back to where she came from with her league of Prostitutes. Some of our family friends that attended the burial were warned not to intervene as they could incur the wrath of the villagers. My eldest sister Caroline became a Mother figure to us and protected us from assaults from hostile relations during the burial session because my Mother lost her sanity at the scene and was behaving like a deranged woman begging everybody to have pity on her and let her bury her husband, she told them that she was properly married to their son thus cannot be a Stranger, she reminded them of how she met their son as a student and how they had nurtured their relationship to fruition. She told them that she was ready to swear any oath to affirm her fidelity and innocence. I saw my once elegant Mother on her knees cladded in black robe begging no one in particular but shouting that the world would hear her plea. The reply she got was to be spat on by relatives and insulted by those who once saw her as an icon. Relatives that do come to visit us in Enugu to seek assistance, relatives who were calling my mother “Mummy” now called her by her first name “Ada” and accuse her of killing their brother. She was forced to drink the water used in washing my Father’s Corpse as this was supposed to bring instant judgment upon her if she was guilty. Mum drank two Cups without flinching and was asking for more to use and bath.

My Mother was dragged to an open space and surrounded by the family women with canes. They were floging my mother telling her to confess! I watched my Mother being humiliated in the most inhumane manner and when I looked at the faces of her persecutors I saw anger, I saw pain, I saw bitterness, and I saw determination to kill. To kill my mother! I went straight to the Kitchen and got a knife, an unusual knife with both edges sharpened, as I came out from the kitchen I heard my mother screaming, she screamed for my Daddy to come to her aid, she screamed for her late father to come to her rescue, she screamed for Jesus to come down and save her. I was jolted into action by her cries because of all she called to help her, none came.

In their quest to unleash pain on my mum, the women were upon each other trying to get a better portion of my mother’s body to whip. I was within them, stabbing my way through to reach and save my Mother, there were screams from those I stabbed but all I could hear was my Mother’s voice. Of a sudden I felt a pull backwards but I struggled to push forward stabbing viciously at a buttock in front of me, then I heard Caroline’s voice begging me to let go.
It was at this stage that Caroline took us all and sneaked out of the family Compound. We ran straight to the Motor Park and boarded a Bus heading for Enugu. Chinedu was not with us, he had been taken from us by Uncle.

Enugu:
On getting home, Caroline immediately set to work; she went into my Parent’s room and collected certain document. I watched as she hid the document in her travelling Bag. She took so many Books too and hid in her Bag, she asked for the Keys to the cars and I reminded her that all the Cars were driven to the Village for the burial. She then took me with her to visit one of Mummy’s Friends and colleague, Mrs. Joana Chinedu. She explained all that transpired in the village to Mrs. Joana and she agreed to keep the Documents for us.
Mummy’s friend tapped their military connection and a team of Soldiers were dispatched to our village.

My Mother was brought back and admitted at the Military hospital. She was given a private ward because of the influx of visitors and sympathizers. She spent two weeks at the Hospital before being transferred to a psychiatric hospital in New Haven District for treatment.
She spent two months at the Psychiatric hospital by which time she was evidently stable and ready to go home. She was discharged on a Sunday. We went after Church service in company of Mrs. Joana to bring her home from the Hospital.

We got home to see a strange Padlock on the gate. We were still deliberating on what to do when our security man, Musa limped towards us, he looked liked someone that has escaped a deadly stampede. Musa! Wetin happen? Caroline asked.

Madam! Na Oga Brother come here with plenty Boys and Motors come pack all the load wey dey for the House! Everything fa! Even my load too! Dem beat me well well as I dey try to tell them to wait until una come back. Dem even remove two of my teeth! See! See my teeth! How I go take de bite Goro (Kola nut) now?

Haa! My Mother exclaimed and she became quiet suddenly, she started to laugh hysterically jabbing at us and uttering incomprehensible words. Mummy did not recover from this madness till she died.

My mother was taken back to the Psychiatric Hospital while Mrs. Joana helped us to secure the Batcher in the Barracks as we waited for Mummy to recover. Meanwhile we were left with nothing! Nothing at all to start with, saves for Caroline that had some Money on her. Madam Joana tried her best by getting us some old clothes, a giant size mattress, cooking utensils, and some food stuff. She was there for us until her husband had to warn her to choose between her own Children and us. He told her when he came to our Batcher to pick her on his way from work. He said we were a burden too big to be carried. He was right and I bore him no grudge. We were six Girls, the oldest was eighteen and the youngest was eight years old, we were not working, we were not schooling, all we did was wake up, eat and pray that our Mummy recovers. Madam Joana has been helping us to collect mummy’s salaries but the bulk of it goes to offset her medical bills.

On the first of April 1996, it’s been three years after the death of my Father, another “April fool’s” day; we were all in our Batcher reading novels when Madam Joana and her Husband came visiting. The bags under her eyes told me something was wrong. It was the husband that addressed us.
Ladies! He said, your Mother has passed on! I do not know a better way of saying it but that is the fact. She passed on this morning in her sleep and the hospital called my Wife. Your Mother you know has no Parent any longer and she was an only Child, so I will need to go to her village tomorrow to seek any surviving relative of hers and inform them so they can make arrangements for her funeral.

Please this is not time for tears yet; there is plenty of time for that! Just hear me out he said. We wiped our tears as we continued to listen. If I do not succeed there then we may have to seek for the Army’s assistance, maybe they can bury her at the Military Cemetery.

We have made arrangements for Tochi and Amara to be taken to an Orphanage! Caroline screamed and rushed towards our two youngest Siblings, No! No! No! She shouted, I will take care of them!

Don’t be silly! He said, do you think I am enjoying what I am telling you? How will you take care of them? You can barely take care of yourself! It’s been three years that your father died and your Mother had been bed ridden for that long what have you been able to do with your life? You are twenty one years old now! When I married my wife she was barely eighteen years old! Now the mother you were waiting on is no more! Will you keep on sitting here and waiting for my wife to feed you and your siblings? Nkechi my Daughter is in her part three at the university already! Don’t you think about your own future? That is why I keep blaming my wife for indulging you too much, not that I hate you but she is spoiling you and she thinks its love for a Friend! Do you know that I an Orphan? I knew no Father, and my Mother died at my birth, my close relatives gave me up to the orphanage because they could not take care of an extra Baggage!

These two teenagers will go to the Orphanage! The rest of you are old enough to fend for yourselves! We shall try and collect your Mother’s benefits for you and with that you are on your own! Welcome to the real world! I am sorry for everything that has happened to you but I want you to know that it could be worse! It cannot be worse Sir! This is the worst situation any human being can find herself Caroline burst out wailing. She asked several unanswered questions: How can life be so unfair to us? Where do we start from? Six Girls! No father! No Mother! No Job! Oh God where are you?

We lived on charity from friends and well wishers for another three months. Caroline had planned on opening a provision shop when she receives Mummy’s benefit. She planned to send the three of us back to school. Tochi and Amara were already at the Orphanage. We go to visit them every last Saturday of the month.

Mr. Chinedu and his wife Madam Joana came visiting on a Saturday Morning, we had not seen them visit us together since the death of Mummy. Lest I forget, Mummy was later buried at the military Cemetery because the protocols Mr. Chinedu encountered when he went to my Mother’s Village was so much that he vowed not to go back there.

Their visit that morning made my heart skip. I wondered if the money that would liberate us was ready or has anything evil happened to our sisters at the orphanage. Immediately after exchanging pleasantries I asked: How is Amara and Tochi Sir? Oh they are doing just great! He said. I learnt you Girls went visiting last week? He asked. Relieved by his answer I said: yes sir we did.
Caroline came in with two Bottles of soft drink to entertain them, Mrs. Joana declined but the husband collected both Bottles, he opened one with his teeth and placed the other on the floor. You don’t want to drink? He asked her: I am okay honey, she replied. Well, I am thirsty, he said as he gulped down the drink he opened, he dropped the bottle and opened the second. The Wife stared at him with disapproval but he ignored her. He drained the second bottle, gave out a large belch and cleared his throat.

Now all of you come together! He said. It is time to talk! We all sat on the Mattress facing him as he stood up to address us. We had gotten used to receiving bad news. Do you know why my wife did not drink the Coke Caroline gave her? He asked. No sir! We chorused. Because she feels you cannot afford it, she feels you need the Money because of your helpless situation so why waste it on us! She pities you! I am telling you this because I know she is thirsty, she complained of thirst on our way here so I wonder why she would refuse a cold drink. I drank the drinks because I am very thirsty and you offered to quench my thirst so why should I refuse a helping hand? Now let me come plain with you Girls! I will talk to you the way I will talk to my Children because your late Father was my very good friend.

This is reality time! The Money we are expecting as your Mother’s entitlement might not materialize in a hurry, it could take months or years, too many paper works are involved but I assure you that you shall be paid the money. From next week, Caroline will take charge of pursuing that money because she has come of age. I shall hand over all the details to you Carol! Caroline was evidently scared as she stared at Mrs. Joana for intervention but Madam bowed her head to conceal the emerging tears from her eyes. Caroline begins to sob.

For your information! He continued, I am not moved by tears! You can ask my Wife here. Secondly, you need to wake up from your slumber and face the facts before you, you do not have any means of survival than relying on charity, and for how long will you continue like this? Three years ago Caroline graduated from secondary school, by then you all had flat Chests! But look at yourselves now! Look at your Chests! You have all grown into womanhood without realizing it! At this juncture we actually looked at our Bosoms and realized he spoke the truth, Madam Joana could not take it any longer as she left the room crying. You think you are still little Kids? For your information the world does not pity anyone who does not help his or herself! There is a lot the world offers for you to grab but it will not come to you by lazing about in a wretched Batcher waiting on Charity! Someone out there is enjoying your father’s sweat all in the name of one barbaric culture! This same person caused the death of your mother. Today he lives in your house with his family, he runs your father’s Company, he drives your father’s Cars, he spends your father’s Money while you sit here like cowards, drinking Garri, wearing outdated Clothes, and looking so ugly and unkempt! Your only Brother is now a slave in his father’s house, I drove by the house yesterday and I saw junior sweating and cutting grass under the sun while Amaechi’s children were inside the House probably drinking Juice from your refrigerator!

At this stage none of us could bear it. I had not cried for a very long time but that day tears flowed freely down my face as the reality of our situation dawned on me. Pauline and Silvia my two immediate elder Sisters ran out of the house screaming while Mrs. Joana rushed in and embraced Caroline crying and pacifying. From that day I resolved to take Mr. Chinedu as my mentor, he brought out the beast in me; he woke me up from my sleep and gave me the zeal to succeed in life at any cost.

Please call Pauline and Silvia back in! He commanded his wife. He continued: Another truth I will tell you is that the day you receive your Mother’s Money, you are no longer entitled to live here! The Army will send you out of the Barracks; they may give you three months grace at maximum, so note that you may need to rent an apartment from that money before anything else. You cannot come to live in my House because there is no space there. Madam Joana once again ran out the room crying. Leave that Woman he said, she cries over everything, if you kill a Mosquito with your palms and my wife sees the blood from the Mosquito you killed ,she will begin to cry so don’t mind her. Crying is her hobby he continued, and I can see here that all of you are taking after her! Is she you Mother? Yes Sir! My Caroline cried. She has been a Mother to us! She is our Mother! He let out a sadistic laugh. You Girls don’t get it yet, but that is by the way he said.

Now listen to me! You must strive to conquer your foes! You must lick your wounds, allow it to heal and continue the hunt, for this world is like a jungle. I want you Girls to open your eyes and see the opportunities around you, take your destiny in your hands and bring shame to your enemies. I will always be behind to advise and encourage you but don’t come to me for Money because I have my own responsibility in my house.
That day Mr. Chinedu gave each of us Fifty thousand naira each. He told us the story of the ten talents in the Bible before they left our Batcher.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:44pm On Jun 28, 2014
CHAPTER 3
Fifty thousand naira apart
It was on a Saturday that Mr. and Mrs. Chinedu gave us the sum of fifty thousand naira each. It was like a miracle to us because we have not owned such amount of money before. We were so happy that we temporarily forgot our situation/ Caroline went out in the evening and bought Suya which we all ate and drank Coke too. We talked into the night and slept late.

That night I dreamt: My late Father came to me, he apologized for leaving us so soon, he told me he did not plan to leave us yet but life is a mystery which I will understand soon. He said there were a lot of things he did not achieve before his death. He told me to take care of my Sisters, he said I should let junior suffer whatever is being meted to him by my uncle, he said it is good for Junior. I asked him if he had seen Caroline, he said no! Caroline is a Woman and would not understand certain things! I asked after my Mother and He told me she was okay and sends her greeting. He charged me to be strong, he said to me: Remember you are a Commando! And he faded into the air.

I had cried out from my sleep calling on him not to go as I had a lot of questions to ask him. It was this morning that I cried my heart out over the death of my Father, I cried till I became tired, my sisters woke up and were consoling me. I know they would be wondering if I was okay, crying as if daddy just died. I did not tell anybody my dream till now that I am writing this story. I did not want what happened to Joseph in the Bible to happen to me. I felt it might make my elder ones feel bad and jealous. I brooded all through that day and I did not go to Church. I was at home cleaning up the house and I washed everything that needed washing. I also cooked Jollof Rice for the house before my sisters returned from church.

I took a pen and a jotter and wrote down how I intend to utilize my fifty thousand naira. Daddy had reminded me that I was a commando! My thoughts wondered back to my days at Command Secondary school Abakaliki, we called ourselves Commandoes, I had spent only two year there but I came out with indelible experience. Student life at Command was all about competition amongst us. From the wakeup call at 5:30AM to Lights out bell at 10:30PM it was all about trying to be the best. You strive to be among the first to file out in the morning to sweep the compound, you try to tidy up your room by cleaning the Louvers, sweeping the floor and cleaning the toilet. You try to take your bath on time and dress your bed before leaving the hostel for the School premises. In all of this you must not be late as lateness was like taboo. You must not come late to the assembly ground, classes, meal time, prep time, sports time and manual labour time, lateness to all of these chores had consequences. There were also several rewarding schemes, the best dressed Bed, the cleanest room, the neatest Student, overall best Student, and best Student per Subject are recognized and rewarded. I had worn several of these awards back then. We always strived to outwit one another.
So with fifty thousand naira in my Pocket in the year 1997 I felt like the world was in my Pocket. I said a special prayer to God for Mr. and Mrs. Chinedu. After doting all the I’s and crossing all the T’s I fell asleep. My sisters came back from Church and were surprised at the transformation they saw in the house; though I was sleeping I could feel their presence. They did not wake me knowing I would evidently be exhausted.
Monday morning, after a breakfast of Pap and Akara, Caroline summoned us together to discuss the way forward. She suggested that we put our money together and setup a petty trading business on basic provisions; we could build a kiosk at the front of our Batcher until we raise something substantial to rent a Shop at the Mammy market.

I was the only one that declined on that idea, and such opposition coming from me, the youngest of the four did not go down well with my Sisters. I reminded them of the Story of the ten talents Mr. Chinedu told us; I told them that the Slaves did not join the money given to them together rather each went to invest his own. I told them I had my own plans. I further reminded them that if Mr. Chinedu wanted us to combine the Money, he would have given the whole two hundred thousand naira to Caroline to control.

They called me the Prodigal Child, Silvia even had to deal me a slap for daring to challenge Caroline but I took it in good faith. It was finally declared that I was on my own as regards feeding, clothing, cosmetics and so on. Pauline and Silvia gave their Money to Caroline, while I kept mine.

CHAPTER 4
Man alone!
Two days after the fall out with my Sisters, I left the house in the morning without break fast as I was no longer entitled to partake in the family meal. I was with my Money, my Jotter and Pen as I trekked from the Barracks towards Abakpa Nike. I had nothing on my mind but to keep on walking.

I had trekked for two hours before I realized I was on our Street in the Housing estate where we once lived. The Street where Junior is slaving in his father’s house. My heart beat increased and my stomach rumbled. I urgently needed to use the toilet but I was far from home. My Father’s House was just around the corner but I dare not go there for fear of the unknown. I entered an incomplete building along the street and relieved myself using a sheet from my Jotter to clean up. I came out and sat at the front of the incomplete building. I was staring at our House. I started feeling feverish as my heart beat continued to race, so many conflicting thoughts were on my mind. I used a torn Carton I saw on the ground to clean a portion of the floor and I laid down shivering. I slept off.

I woke up with a jolt. Everywhere looked dark and I felt so hungry, I yawned and stretched, then I heard a male voice said, you go chop? I panicked and turned around to see the figure squatted behind me eating Bread and Akara, the aroma from the Akara was so irresistible that I answered him yes I beg! I dey hungry, he tore his loaf of Bread in two and gave me half; he pushed the wrapped Akara to my reach. I gnawed hungrily at the loaf of bread and picked from the balls of Akara in quick succession.

My strange Friend tossed a sachet of Water to me as he continued to eat in silence. I ate up the bread and five balls of Akara before drinking the whole Sachet of water before realizing the risk I had just taken. Eating from a total stranger! My stomach rumbled again and I screamed out in pain clutching my tummy.

Which time you chop last? He asked me as I writhed in pain,

na yesterday night I replied.

That na why your belle dey pain you, sorry o! no worry the pain go soon stop now as you don chop, next time if you dey hungry like this, make you first drink water before you eat you hear?

I nodded my head as I endured another pang of pain. Me I don sabi how to manage hunger tey tey! He said.
I got a little relief from his speech and I actually started feeling better. I was thinking I had been poisoned. I asked my acquaintance what the time was and he said 6:30 PM. I had slept there for almost nine hours; passersby would have taken me for a Lunatic or a vagabond.
So na wetin you de do here? You no look like craze Man nah! I said.

I no be man o! I be Boy he said, I be ten years old Boy o!

I drew closer to take a better look at his face and I almost screamed but I remembered my Father’s advice in my dream so I quickly used my palm to close my mouth so as not to scream out.

Na wetin you dey do here! I blurted.

I never chop anything since morning, so I thief my senior Brother Money go buy wetin I go chop! He replied.
I no understand you o! I queried, You no dey chop for house or wetin you mean?

I dey chop one time a day but before I finish work wey I dey do since morning, my Brothers dem don chop the food wey their mama keep for me, that na why I go search Nonso pocket, the ten naira wey I see there, I carry go buy Bread and Akara.
He no go beat you if he no see him Money so? I asked.

He go beat me nah! But he no go kill me! Beating no be anything to me again o! Everybody dey beat me any how for that House.
Dem dey beat you anyhow for your Papa house? Which kain talk you dey talk so nah? I enquired.

Aunty, you no go understand, make I dey waka before dem begin to look for me. My prayer be say make Nonso no notice say him Money dey miss this night at least make I for fit sleep without crying today. As he stood up to go I told him to wait.
Wetin be your name? I asked.

My name na Chinedu but dem dey call me junior, he replied.

Na wetin be your Papa name?

My full name na Chinedu Junior Amadi.

You dey go school so? I asked.

Yes I dey Abakpa Community Primary School, I dey class two.

Class two? I shouted. You be ten years and you dey class two? Why nah? I asked.

Yes nah! He said. I been stop school when my real Papa die and my Mama Abandon me with my Uncle when She carry all my sisters run away. Na last year my Uncle come say make I go start again from primary two. Bye-bye! Make I dey run go now I beg!

Wait! Come take! I said as dipped my hands into my Pocket and brought the bundle of cash with me, I peeled out several notes and gave to him.
No o! He exclaimed. You want to kill me? I beg Aunty if you want to help me, just give me the ten naira wey I thief make I go return am. If dem see me with this kain money my own don finish for that House o!

I quickly searched my other Pocket and gave him an old ten naira note. I could not hold back the tears. I cried as Junior bade me farewell and sped off towards my father’s House, our House.

I started off towards the Barracks because the entrance gate via the mammy market would be locked by 8:00PM. I ran towards the Barracks heartbroken, I fell down severally as I ran because the ground was stony and steeply. I got home that night and wept through the night. I did not tell my Sisters what I encountered but they were looking at me with mixed feelings. They wondered where I had gone all day and why I came back home crying. I saw some Cartons of biscuits, toiletries, and provisions that my Sisters have bought for their business. They were busy reconciling their account when I dozed off.
I woke up the next day feeling very sick, I vomited twice. Caroline took me to visit Oga Chucks the Chemist at Mammy Market. He gave me two injections and administered some drugs to me. I went back home and slept all day. I was down for three days during which Caroline was there for me.

Two weeks after my recovery I went to a vocational institution at New Haven to register as an apprentice. I paid the twelve thousand naira and two Crates of Coca Cola charged for two years training. The outfit called “Delectable’s” offered training on Fashion, Catering and events management. The duration of training ranged from six months to two years depending on the area an apprentice wishes to specialize. I applied for two years so as to specialize on everything they had to offer. I bought some working tools like Scissors, measuring tape, Papers etc. I also bought a brand new sewing machine which I kept at home awaiting my graduation.

I resumed at work at 7:30AM daily cleaning up the Shop and putting everything in place before others arrived. I was handed a spare key because I was always the first to arrive at work daily.
In the evenings I sold roasted maize cum pear along the Mammy market road in the Barracks. Sometimes I sell roasted plantain cum fish depending on what was available in the market. I was occupied day and night.

I was at the Shop one day when two elegantly dressed Ladies came in to sew some dresses. My Boss madam Ronke attended to them and afterwards called on me to take their measurements. As I approached with my measuring tape and register I was stopped mid way by the scream from one of the ladies. It’s a lie! She shouted. Deborah Adanne Amadi! The last time my name was so called was at Command secondary School Abakaliki. I looked keenly at the epitome of beauty, it was Cordellia. It is me Cordellia! She said spreading her arms astride. Cordellia Okoro? I asked. Yes nah! She beamed. Derby! Look at you! What happened to you? Where have you been hiding all these years? So many questions to be answered as we hugged each other to the astonishment of everyone in the Shop.

I took their measurements and they waited at the reception till my break period, which was between 1:00PM to 2:30PM daily. She drove me in her brand new Polo Gulf to her House off campus along Ogui Road. She was then a part two medical student at University of Nigeria Enugu Campus. The same Course I had planned to study since my Child hood if fate had not turned things around for my Family. I told Cordellia my Story so far. She was so touched that she could not help crying. We cried together. I then begged her not to show pity as it would make me run away from her, she understood. Of course she was a commando. All commandoes are proud.

Cordellia gave me a “Ghana must go” bag full of her used Clothes; she said she had wanted to take the Clothes with her to the village to share among her relatives and friends during her next holiday. She gave me seven assorted shoes, hats and belts. She gave me some of her old make up kits and two brand new ones. She then drove us to DEN’s Cook by Old Park for lunch. I ate a very delicious meal that day.
Cordellia took me back to the shop. On our way she told me about her Fiancé studying and working in the U.S.A. She sounded surprised when I told her I have not had any dealing with a man yet at eighteen. She insisted to meet my Sisters and to know where we lived so we agreed to go home together when I close at 6:00PM.

Cordellia came back and drove me home that evening. As I went to her Car booth to carry my “Ghana must go”, she ordered me to ensure I empty the content of the Booth, that everything therein was for me. She had loaded the Booth with a bag of rice, Gallons of palm oil and vegetable oil, half bag of beans to mention but a few. I was perplexed and I told her I could not accept all of it as it was too much and she was making me feel like I am a burden on her already. She laughed loud and told me to swallow my pride. She said she owed me more that, she reminded me of how I was there for her in our secondary school days. She entered Command on Scholarship sponsored by the Catholic Church in her Village. Her father was a poor subsistence farmer from Isikuator in Abia State but she was a very brilliant kid and had passed the entrance examination into a school relatively expensive for Civilian wards. The reverend father of their Church took up her case and the Church volunteered to take care of her School fees throughout her Secondary School. She barely came to school with enough pocket money or Provision, no one ever came to visit her on visiting days and she never went home for midterm break. I always had abundance and enough to spare and I was so generous so I shared freely with her without telling anybody about it, she recounted several situations that I assisted her financially and materially. Finally she said I was only reaping what I had sowed.

She met my sisters and we spent two hours together in our Batcher that night reflecting on the past. She updated me on the where about of many of our mates in school, most were in various higher institutions within and outside the Country, three had died and some were still jambites.
She had cleared her S.S.C.E and J.A.M.B at one swipe and gained admission into one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria. She was at the verge of losing hope of sponsorship when fortune smiled on her. She had met Stephen during the Christmas holiday in the Village. Stephen Chikendu is the First Son of His Royal Highness, Igwe Amos Chikendu, the Onwa n’etili ora 1 of Isuikwuator. The paramount ruler. He had come home on vacation. They had met and fallen in love and he promised to take care of her education after making his marriage intention known to their families.

Cordellia left our house at 9:00PM that night.I did not sell my maize that night because I did not want her to know how deep I had fallen.
When Cordellia had left, Silvia asked me if I would sell some portion of my food stuff to them, I told her the food stuff was for us and not me, I also told her that the bag of clothes was for us and not me. We went out that night and bought a lot of Suya and Coca cola to celebrate. We tossed to life.

On Saturday morning as I was sorting the Clothes Cordellia gave me I saw a bulky sealed envelope underneath the bag, I hurriedly ran and bolted the door before coming to tear the envelope open. My heart beat skipped at the sight of wad of minty five hundred naira notes. I counted one hundred pieces, another fifty thousand naira! I knelt down and said a prayer to God for Cordellia. That was the money I used to open my first ever bank account with Union bank. I opened a fixed deposit account so that by the time I am done with my training, the money would come in handy. My friendship with Cordellia blossomed till she travelled to the U.S.A for summer holiday.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:48pm On Jun 28, 2014
On a certain Sunday, I had taken a taxi cab to our street at Abakpa just to catch a glimpse of Junior. I went to the incomplete building adjacent to our House and sat patiently watching the gate to the House.

I waited for about two hours before I saw him pushing a wheel barrow with water filled Jerri cans down the street. He was unclad, wearing just short Pants, battered Slippers and sweating profusely. I waited for him to reach the front of the incomplete building before I called out to him. Junior! I called out.

He stopped and looked at me searchingly. Chinedu how you dey? I asked. You don forget me? I asked again as he strolled towards me wiping off sweat from his forehead.

Your face be like face wey I sabi o! but I dey try to remember the place wey I sabi you , he said.
Na me you give Bread and Akara chop for here that night, I said.

Yes o! He exclaimed. Na you give me ten naira to take replace Nonso money that day! Thank you Aunty! But na wetin you dey do here again nah? You wan sleep? You don chop today so? He asked with concern.

Na you I wan come see nah ! I said. I want to come see the face of the Hero wey save me from hunger that night.
He laughed and said Aunty I no know why you allow hunger to worry you that day o! Because you been get plenty money for Pocket.
Well you no understand, I said. So na where you dey carry Water go nah?

Na sell I dey sell am o! He said. My People don go village for holiday and dem no carry me go. Small food stuff dey for house but no soup, and dem no give me any money to take cook soup. Na so so Garri I dey drink since so I dey go hire this Wheel barrow to take sell water so that I go dey get money to buy anything wey I want chop until dem return.

I was about to speak when I remembered once again my dream. I relaxed and comported myself.
So how much you dey sell one Jerri can? I asked.

Aunty na Fifty naira! You wan buy Water? Na where your house dey sef? He asked.

No! No o! I no wan buy water, I just dey ask, I dey live for inside Barracks I said.

Your Papa na Soja? He asked.

No junior! My Papa no be Soja but my Mama been dey teach for Army day so Army give us House for barracks, I explained.
As your Papa no be Soja, he dey follow una live inside barracks too? He asked.

I could not hold back my tears crying as I answered him.

No! Junior, My Papa don die tey tey!

Aunty sorry o! Na my question dey make you cry? No vex I beg! He said.

As he approached me to rub my shoulder, I grabbed him tight and cried over his shoulder like I never did in my life. He was shocked and scared by my action as I felt him stiffen, but I guess he had seen worse fears in his life that he stood resolute and offered to comfort me. He embraced me lightly but assuring. Sorry! He kept saying as he patted me on my back. I thanked him and gave him a five hundred naira note before he left to continue his business.

The next Saturday was the last in November 1998. We went to the Orphanage to visit Tochi and Amara. They were looking healthy and were fast becoming beautiful ladies. They were both in J.S.S 3 and preparing for their junior W.A.E.C. The Proprieties of the home told us the Girls are good in character and all round learning, she was proud of them. she further reminded us that the home can only accommodate them till they round up their secondary School at which point we should be looking for an alternative home for them, she further encouraged us to be serious with whatever we are doing so that we would be able to carter for our sisters when the time comes instead of looking for another home for them as adults. We delivered the food stuff we went with to the proprietress. A bag of rice, a bag of salt, one gallon each of palm and vegetable oil and a bag of salt.

1998 ended so fast, I was so busy at work because the demand for our services was at the peak. We organized several weeding Ceremonies as wedding planners. I had improved in cutting fabrics into measured shapes to be sewn into dresses. I was good at patching up torn or loose fabrics. At that stage I could sew simple materials like pillow cases, bed sheets and wrappers. But I was a very fast learner, I had learnt how to operate all the machines in the Shop, I could iron sewn Clothes and package them for collection by the owners.

At my spare time in the house I used my machine to sew several styles I saw in fashion magazines. I got fabrics from pieces of sewn Clothes in the Shop. I was very creative and I invented a lot of designs. I improved on my drawing skills due to constant practice. Madam Ronke once told me that if ever I decide to set up my own Fashion Business I should go far from New Haven so that I would not lure all of her Clients to myself. She said I had prospect on the trade and she offered me a lot of moral encouragement all the way.

Through the Month of December, I did not come home; I slept in the Shop working through the night just to meet Customers demand. I cut Fabrics into shapes throughout the night while my senior Colleagues came in the morning to stitch the pieces together, then I would iron the sewn Clothes all day and batch for Customers collection.

I also did not sell at my spot in the barracks because I was too busy at work but I received a lot of tips in the Shop from Customers and senior Colleagues. The credit for our efficiency was always given to me by Madam Ronke, She mandated all my senior Colleagues to share their tips with me because most Customers do not see me Cutting their fabrics into shapes at night, they also saw me ironing Clothes by day time, so they naturally give tips to those that they see sewing the Clothes. The work at the Shop that season was so intense that by the end of January, I had saved seventy five thousand naira from tips alone. I opened another fixed deposit account with this money at First bank of Nigeria.

I fell sick in the second week of February 1999 and was admitted for four days. I was down with malaria fever having exposed myself to mosquito bite in the Shop I slept all through the rush period. Madam Ronke took care of my hospital bills and apologized to me for being the cause of my sickness.

By March we witnessed another rush period as a result of Easter celebration. Many weddings were planned for that period and so many Clothes to sew too. By this time I had started sewing clothes for certain categories of Customers, the high profile Customer’s Clothes were sewn by Madam herself or more senior Colleagues.
I purchased five different fabrics and sew different styles for myself. My clothes were the cynosure of all eyes whenever I wore them; my designs were perfect on my body.

By August, just two months to my graduation had perfected on all I came to learn at “Delectable”. I could single handedly plan and organize an event from scratch to finish, I could design and bake cakes for any occasion, I was a qualified caterer! And I could sew; yes I actually prided myself more as a fashion designer , I had started getting Jobs from People living in the barracks and environs but I brought such jobs to the Shop to sew and madam Ronke always gave me fifty percent of whatever I charged the Client. I wanted to explore more in the fashion world because I had seen that the demand for fashion can never be met in this world, what you just need was to be the best and you would see Customers chasing you about. I wanted the world to see my creativity! I wanted to be chased about, for that would mean Money chasing me about! I was hungry for success!

Nigerian Independence Day 1999 was my graduation day. We were twenty graduates from ‘Delectable” each majored in various field of interest. Some of us spent from six months to two years. I majored in Fashion designing and catering. Do I need to tell you that I was the overall best Student? Well I was!

It was a very colourful event as Families and Friends came to celebrate with the Celebrants.
Mr. and Mrs. Chinedu were there, my three elder Sisters, even Amara and Tochi were excused from the Orphanage to attend my graduation ceremony. Cordellia and Stephen also honoured me with their presence. Caroline and Pauline also invited their Soldier Boyfriends, Lawal and Ibrahim.
Many of our Clients came to felicitate with us that day and I received so many gifts in Cash and properties. Cordellia and Stephen gave me an embroidery machine and two 1.5 horse power split unit air conditioner. Mr. and Mrs. Chinedu gave me Thirty thousand naira cash and a sewing machine. Madam Ronke gave me Fifty thousand naira and a sewing machine, she was crying as she presented her gifts to me. Many of the invited guests and out Clients gave me varying sums of money. It was indeed my day. The first time I was actually celebrated in my without Daddy and Mummy. I wished they were there that day and I wished Chinedu was there too. I got a total of eight hundred and fifty thousand naira cash from that occasion. I also realized three sewing Machines, four electric irons, two air conditioning units, one embroidery machine, one Button hole boring machine, two standing fans, twenty two Scissors etc. I did not realize that I was already a millionaire at nineteen, me, a drop out from School, an Orphan denied of a bright future by fate. Mr. Chinedu carried all of my Gifts to his House for safe keeping until I would need them. There was no space in our batcher.

One week after my graduation, Madam Ronke called me to her office and offered me a job at “Delectable” She said I would earn twenty five percent of any dress I sew or any event I manage. We were approaching another rush season of 1999. I agreed to her terms but I told her I could not work with her for long because I was restless! I told her I have a lot to do in my life and until I achieve them all my soul will remain restless.
She did not show any sign of surprise or feeling of being hurt as I had expected. She simply smiled and said she knows, she said she cannot tie me down but only needed my assistance during the season rush. We signed a contract for six months which would expire after the Easter Rush of April 2000.

I put my all into my job throughout the festive period, dishing out uncommon designs and making our Clients happy. Customers did not tell me the design or style they wanted to sew except on rare cases where uniform design is sought for an occasion. I simply looked at the Customer, take his or her measurement and I carve out an irresistible design that brings smiles to the face of the Client when completed. The compliments I received were one too many but I was not satisfied. Something was still missing.

As usual, I slept in the shop in the month of December but this time around I normally sprayed insecticides in the Shop by 6:00PM when everyone has left till 10:00PM before I began to work. I cut Fabrics into shapes all night and I sewed all day while another apprentice did the ironing. The business of designing dresses gave me joy.

Work pressure reduced in February due to decline in demand as Families tried to recover from December cum January celebration expenses and the quest to pay Children School fees. I used this period to develop several designs, the creative ideas came in naturally and in torrents and I was drawing the designs up as the idea came. I no longer sold maize at night because I was occupied and partly because I was making enough money. I told Silvia to continue with the business so that someone else would not take over the spot but she declined.

By the end of Easter which was also the expiration of my Contract with “Delectable” I had over two hundred samples of various unique designs in my Notebook, I called it my Catalogue. I also had about one million eight hundred thousand naira in my Bank account. That was the Month of May 2000, three months to my birthday! I was born on the 18th of August 1980. I will be twenty years old and I had plans for that day.

CHAPTER 5
Money and true colours!
June 13th 2000 it had been four years that my Mother passed on. MR. Chinedu drove by on that beautiful morning and picked Caroline, he said she was needed to sign certain documents. They were out all day till 7:00PM. They came in looking happy with smiles all over. I knew immediately that it must be about Mummy’s Money.

Mr. Chinedu in his character had summoned us for discussion when Lawal and Ibrahim pushed the door and sauntered into our Batcher. Caroline jumped up excitedly and ran to hug Lawal.

They have paid us! They have paid us our Mother’s gratuity! She told him.

Wao! Allah be praised! He shouted, lifting Caroline off her feet and spinning her around.

To say I was surprised is an understatement! I felt like picking up a knife and do something terrible but I controlled my anger. I looked as Mr. Chinedu as he stared with opened mouth at Caroline; he was shaking his head disapprovingly. He then cleared his throat to receive attention. Caroline left Lawal and returned to her former siting position.

Gentlemen, could you please excuse us for a moment? He said. We have some family issues to discuss! Please just ten minutes will be okay.
Family issues? Lawal asked,

Yes please! Said Mr. Chinedu

Me I no be Family? He asked. So because Money don come now I no be family again? Ehn Carol? Are you hearing what this Barger is saying? So you can sit down there and watch this bloody Civilian talk to me anyhow?

I am sorry please; I don’t mean it that way! Mr. Chinedu tried to explain.

Sharrap! Before I scatter your smelly mouth! Lawal shouted as he advanced dangerously towards Mr. Chinedu. We all screamed as Caroline and Ibrahim rushed towards him begging and restraining him from hitting Mr. Chinedu

You wey dey talk you be family? Or you think say I no know you? Walahi! That one no go happen here o! You sabi the kind of money wey I don spend on Carol? Which one is your own? Lawal continued to shout at the top of his voice, Ibrahim held on to Lawal and told him to excuse us but Lawal was too agitated already.

Imagine o! He challenged, see this bloody civilian telling me nonsense inside my Barracks! Walahi! If I no scatter your mouth today, call me bastard!
In all of these, Caroline was begging Lawal .I was boiling inside of me but I knew better than to challenge Lawal there and then. I have seen him in such fit too many times fighting fellow Soldiers of beating up defenseless Civilians for no just cause. I had always wondered what my Sister saw in such a Man. He was a private Soldier and his friend Ibrahim a Lance Corporal.

He eventually left the house swearing to wait for Mr. Chinedu on his way out of the barracks.
Mr. Chinedu did not stay long; he raised both hands up and said to us all.

Today I wash my hands off your case! God is my witness that all my dealings with you Children have been transparent! Your Mother’s Three million five hundred naira and fifty thousand naira has been paid into Caroline’s account today! The money is yours to use and make something out of this life for your selves!
I threw myself prostrate before him and begged him not to be offended, Pauline and Silvia joined me but Caroline simply stood by the door staring at us.

4 Likes

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:52pm On Jun 28, 2014
peeled

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:55pm On Jun 28, 2014
peeled

2 Likes

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:57pm On Jun 28, 2014
peeled
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:00pm On Jun 28, 2014
peeled

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:04pm On Jun 28, 2014
turned to leave the Ward, Captain entered and came directly to us, I held him and pulled him out of the ward, I briefed him what transpired while I was in the Ward then I asked him what happened.

Who else but that Barger Lawal? I just took over my shift this evening and as I was going round the wards I came upon them, she was brought in unconscious last night. The Military police have been here and Pauline told them that it was argument about money that resulted to Lawal beating her up like this. They live together and she is three months pregnant, Lawal said she shout abort the Baby and your Sister objected, she said Lawal should return all of her money back to her if she aborts the abort the baby. Though we had to flush the Fetus because the Barger killed it during the fight, the saddest of all now is that we had to remove her womb too because it was badly ruptured in the process!
turned to leave the Ward, Captain entered and came directly to us, I held him and pulled him out of the ward, I briefed him what transpired while I was in the Ward then I asked him what happened.
Who else but that Barger Lawal? I just took over my shift this evening and as I was going round the wards I came upon them, she was brought in unconscious last night. The Military police have been here and Pauline told them that it was argument about money that resulted to Lawal beating her up like this. They live together and she is three months pregnant, Lawal said she shout abort the Baby and your Sister objected, she said Lawal should return all of her money back to her if she aborts the abort the baby. Though we had to flush the Fetus because the Barger killed it during the fight, the saddest of all now is that we had to remove her womb too because it was badly ruptured in the process!
Pauline is also living with a soldier and she is six months gone with her pregnancy. But the Soldier a certain Ibrahim had been posted to Sokoto, he had since relocated to Sokoto without Pauline knowing. The Guy is married already with Children and the family had joined him in Sokoto.
This Lawal needs to be taught a lesson. He cannot escape this at all, he said; I held unto his clenched fist and tapped it gently while nodding my head. My love! I called him. He looked down at me in surprise and said; did you just called me your love? There is time for everything! I said; time to love and time to hate! I will be on my way back to work now, thank you for calling my attention to this! I pointed at the Ward. You have really made my day! I love you. I turned back and walked out of the Hospital with junior tagging along. As I drove back to the Office I reflected on that day Caroline and Lawal had mauled me. Now the mauler has been mauled: I felt no remorse, I felt vindicated. What goes around comes around.

CHAPTER 10
ILE IFE
Captain normally takes his annual leave in the month of December. Because that is also my peak period at work he deferred his leave to February; February 2003 came and we travelled together to spend two weeks with his family at Ile-Ife Osun state.
We drove in his Tata Suv. I had never travelled that far in my entire life, so it was so tiring even though we stopped intermittently at some fast food Outlets to eat and rest. The road situation was terrible, pot holes and Police check points littered the whole express road. Captain does not queue at police check points, he simple drives to the front of the queue and says the magic word “Espirite de Corps” on hearing this; the Police remove the barricade and salute us through.
I had my fears; I was travelling to the western part of the Country with my man to meet his family for the first time. How would the reception be? The Mother! I have always heard terrible stories about Mother In-laws. What about my rival Dupe? I was entering her territory.
Captain had envisaged my fears. He had told me how to answer likely questions his mother might ask me. Concerning my education, I should tell her I am studying Business administration at U.N.N. I am not to tell her about anything I have gone through in life. My Parent is dead and I am managing my Mother’s business. We came along with ten fabrics; he said I should make some dresses for the parent using his mother’s sewing machine. His mother has four sewing machines idling away in the House.
We drove into the family House as the gateman opened the gate for us at 4: 00PM. As Captain was parking the Car, about eight people filled out of the duplex and ran towards our Car. I was scared stiff. Captain grabbed my hand and said: baby you can do this, I trust you! I nodded to affirm his confidence in me. Hey! He said: I have a jack knife in the Glove Compartment, anybody that provokes you, you know what to do, but please spare their yansh o! He brought smile to my face as I opened the door and stepped out.
The reception was warm, family and friends had come around to welcome us and most especially to see the Omo Ibo that their Son is bringing home. His father took an immediate liking to me, he hugged me as I knelt down to greet him, he called me Ada mi (My Ada) he also called me Aya mi (My wife) he was the first to comment on my beauty; wao! He had exclaimed, I am glad my Son caught the most beautiful fish in river Niger!
The Mother was withdrawn; she looked at me from my hair to the toes on my feet. She looked at me with sarcasm and called me omo ibo (Igbo Child) I was jittery but captain kept assuring me to be calm, he said she is the best mother in-law any lady could wish for. He told me to be blunt with her and ask her why she was staring at me, he said I should ask her questions that would make her uncomfortable for that is the only way I can avert her questions.
We ate and refreshed then returned to the sitting room to share the gifts we came along with. Visitors kept thronging in and out, probably to take a look at me for the news of captain’s arrival with an Igbo Girl had spread throughout the neighborhood, and these people really can stare!
At night Captain and some of his home based friends left the House; he said they needed to hit the town. I offered to go with him but he declined, he said I should help his mother out in the Kitchen. Jeez!
Most of the visitors had gone to their homes, Daddy was in his study reading, Daddy’s elder Brother was watching Television in the sitting room, his maternal grandmother was sleeping on a couch in the Sitting room while Mummy was busy in the Kitchen. I did the sigh of the cross as I joined her in the Kitchen. She pretended not to hear my greeting or notice my presence as she kept on with what she was doing. I coughed a little to get her attention, she turned around and called out “Omo Ibo” you did not go out with your friend? She asked; no ma! I said: Ayo said I should be with you. Be with me? What for? She asked. He said you don’t like me! He said I should ask you why? I lied:
She spun around in surprise, he said that? She asked.
Yes ma! I said. I moved towards the sink and started sorting out dirty plates and utensils to wash. She paused for a while, then she asked; can you cook any Yoruba food or soup?
Well, I don’t know which one you mean in particular buti can cook Efo riro, efo shoko, egusi and isakpa, ewedu and gbegiri, obe ewuro, rorowo,amunututu, obe ata. I can also prepare, Amala dudu, ilafun, ewa agoin, iyan, fufu, eko; I had to stop when I noticed she was staring at me with mouth opened ajar: ha! Omo ibo! Are you sure of what you are saying? You can prepare all of those? I laughed and said, mummy! I can cook all of those and many more, I am a professional Caterer. Okay! Abajo! (No wonder) she exclaimed. She smiled at me for the first time, I am glad my Son will not be eating all those strong meals in igbo land, she teased. So what are you doing now? She continued. I manage my late Mummy’s business and I am schooling as well. The business is a fashion and designing and catering Outfit; she nodded in approval.
You mean you combine all of those with School? She asked: yes ma! It is better to do all what I can now while I can. She gave a nod of approval as she moved closer to me and started to rinse the Plates I had washed. So let us prepare amala dudu for the family tonight she said; no problem ma! I said. Where is the elubo? She rushed and open a gigantic cabinet, look here my dear, she said; I beheld an array of neatly arranged and labeled containers of food stuffs. I was visibly impressed so I asked; whose idea is this even though I was sure it was hers I simply wanted to praise her. She busted out laughing; who else but me? I am a lecturer you know, so I must show brilliance in all I do! She felt good. But you do not lecture home economics’ nah! I understand you lecture mathematics I continued. Yes I am a mathematician but I am a house Wife as well. She said. Ha mummy I love this one o! You will teach me how to arrange my kitchen like yours too! Ha don’t worry my dear, I will teach you many things, she said.
I prepared the amala under her watchful eyes and I passed with an “A”. During the meal I told her I would like to use her sewing machine the next morning, she obliged.
By the fifth day, I had designed six dresses for mummy and four for daddy. I gave the dresses to captain who took it to their rooms and kept on their beds. When Daddy and Mummy returned from work in the evening, they went upstairs to their rooms to pull off and freshen up. Captain and I went into his room and waited. Captain’s Phone rang some twenty minutes later, it was his Mother, she called to asked about the dresses she found on her bed, Captain told her it was my handiwork. Daddy called immediately Mummy‘s call ended and the same discussion took place.
We were about to leave for the balcony when mummy came dancing and singing into our room, she was wearing one of the dresses and she held the others in her hands , she danced around me singing then she stopped and looked at me. Ha! Omo dada nie! (You are a good Child) she prayed for me. Daddy joined us in the mood, he had also worn one of his dresses, he came and hugged me; thank you Ada mi he said, I love this, I have never worn any dress this fitted and smart, but how did you know my size? When did you take my measurement? He asked; she does not take measurements, captain replied.
What? He exclaimed; what a talent you have got; mummy called me “Iyawo mi” (My Wife) for the first time that night. Don’t worry my daughter she said; we shall come to that igbo land and eat Akpu and bitter leaf soup.
We went to Church on Sunday; mummy, cladded in one of her new dresses went out for every alter call, every offering and donations; she represented dancing and displaying as she went to the Alter each time. After the Church service, five of Mummy’s friends came to the House with Fabrics to sew designs of my choice for them. They each paid eight hundred naira to mummy. Mummy had told them that I sew for three thousand naira each in Enugu but she could persuade me to sew for them at eight hundred naira only. In two days their Clothes were ready, but as they came for collection, they brought more fabrics and more women with fabrics to sew. It was captain that eventually told Mummy that I did not come to Ife to work but to rest. He told her not to bring any more Clients to me. Mummy finally brought twenty thousand naira to me as amount realized from the Clothed I sewed. I told her to keep the Money but Captain snatched the money from her as she was about to hid it in her wrapper; he shared the money into two and gave her one part. I later saw the second half in my Purse.

We had spent over one week at Ife, I cruised the ancient town in Company of captain and his friends, such a town with ancient civilization, most of the houses were Bungalows, with brown rusty roofing sheets. They live a communal life style with houses clustered together, only few modern houses were fenced. The people are very polite, the number of people I greeted so far surpassed the whole greetings I have uttered in my entire life, and my knee cap was bruised and aching. The Idowu family is a big and popular one, and all the places we went, they could smell a stranger from a mile.
An elderly woman once saw me and asked if it true that the Igbos eat human beings. I told her it was an old fable, but Captain told her something in Yoruba and the Women fled shouting Mogbe! Mogbe! (I am in trouble!) I asked him what he told her and he said he told her to be watchful of me that I had told him that her arms look appetizing. I laughed my heart out.
Another Woman asked me if it is true that the igbos eat stone and do not drink water after the meal. I told her that it is a matter of choice, just like the yoruba’s love their Amala soft, the igbos like their fufu hard. I told her I personally do not like to eat too hard food. Someone also asked me to explain why the igbos love money too much, she said a rich dead igbo man could be brought back to life if new naira notes are taken to his nose! I laughed my hearts out at all their theories of the igbo people.
The problem is that most of them have not travelled to the east. There were so many old people in Ife, walking aimlessly about visiting relations and spreading rumour round the town. They have first hand information at hand and have ideas to contribute to every subject they hear people discussing. They would stare at me inquiringly till I would retreat into the house because I do not understand the Yoruba language so as to avoid imminent questions from them.
Dupe came around on our tenth day in Ife, no one was at home except me and Granny, and I guess she must have known that I was at home alone with Granny. I knew it was her immediately she stepped into the House. I was cleaning the sitting room then, she sauntered towards me and eyed me from head to toe, she hissed and went into the kitchen, and she came out and went to other rooms calling out Ayo’s name. She went again into the Kitchen and came out with a plate of steaming hot Jollof rice I had just cooked; she went to the dining and started to eat. I left the sitting room and went to sweeping the Balcony. After eating all of the food in her plate she left the plate on the table and went to put on the television, she sat watching.
I later took my dirty Clothes and captains to the laundry room; I put some Clothes into the Washing machine and switched it on. As I turned to leave the laundry room she stood akimbo at the door. My heart skipped a little but I summoned courage and advanced towards her, she looked about two to three years older than me, I am taller and slimmer. She is a beautiful lady I must admit and she has a classy aura about her.
Excuse me please I said, she gave way and I passed through. She trailed behind me; husband snatcher! She called, I feigned deafness, I say husband Snatcher! She shouted; I am talking to you! Are you deaf? She continued; I kept quiet. You think you can just crawl out from nowhere and take what is mine? I am talking to you are you deaf? You this omo Ibo jati jati! (Useless ibo girl). Listen let me tell you! She said: I have been Ayo’s wife right from our Child hood, Ayo is my first and only love, Ayo deflowered me! No man has touched me in my entire Life except Ayo! He is my life so do not come in between us! You igbo people have given him that thing you call Kobnomi! But it won’t work! Since Ayo went to that Igbo land, he has lost focus; it is because of you that he forbade me from coming to see him at Enugu!
Answer me! Can’t you talk? She was poking her fingers at my face. I prayed silently that she does not touch me; I don’t know how much more I could take. I was moving about doing chores and she followed me around shouting and cursing. I just kept my face expressionless as I continued with my work.
Granny came out and told her something in Yoruba language, an argument ensued. After some minutes Granny began to raise her voice at Dupe and pointing fingers at her face. Dupe started to cry; she knelt down and started to beg Granny but granny walked out on her back into her room. She came back to me while wiping off her tears and whispered; Look Omo Ibo! If anything happens to my relationship with Ayo, I swear by my life you will feel my venom. I did not bulge.
When the Family was complete at night Granny came and told Mummy and Daddy what transpired in the House between Dupe and me. The only thing I could capture from what Granny said was; Omo dada ni Omo Ibo yi! (This Ibo Girl is a good girl).
Captain went mad with anger, he called her on the phone and dared her to come to his house again , he promised to shoot her if she ever comes around him again. Mummy was also visibly angry as she called Dupe’s Mother and told her to tell Dupe to stay clear of our house! Yes our House! I dare to say.

That was the last I heard of Dupe! Or so I had thought, I won the War, but I did not know that the Battle was yet to be decided.
The Ife visit came to an end after eighteen days; we had planned to spend two weeks. But it was worth it. Captain’s siblings Segun and Joke visited briefly and went back to their businesses. Segun is a manager at Zenith bank Asokoro branch Abuja while Joke the last born is at Lagos business school lecturing; she has a Doctorate degree in philosophy. I was so comfortable with the family but I had an internal challenge; I need to go back to School so I can measure up in such a family of academia. They thought I was in U.N.N. so U.N.N I must go!
Our Car was filled with food stuff on our way back from Ife, several friends and relatives brought gifts of farm produce to me. We could not carry all of the gifts.

CHAPTER 11
Back to base
We came back in the first week in March 2003 to face the Challenges of Easter rush, my siblings and my paid employees. I was so amazed at the rate of reformation in Chinedu, it was tremendous! Chinedu is a natural, a workaholic and a brave Lad, he wakes up at 5:00AM and does all the Chores in the House, he prepares breakfast for the House then prepares for School; At 3:00PM he returns to the Shop and helps out with ironing of Clothes while learning how to sew too. Chinedu participates actively in the catering activities we carry out and his input was immeasurable.
Silvia had been too busy, she traveled often to various shows and events and she was happy, it is really good to do what your heart desires. Silvia drives a brand new KIA Saloon Car given to her by Delta Soap as their ambassador. They rented a House for her too but she declined so they paid her cash equivalent. She used the money realized from Delta to rent a Shop that became vacant at the stadium premises, three Shops from mine; she sells beauty accessories of all sorts. She employed two ladies to manage the Shop for her while she goes about her shows. Chinedu doubled as the accountant of the Shop simply called “SILVIA” Chinedu reconciled the account every day and takes the proceeds to the Bank. Junior was just sixteen and in JSS 2 but behaved like an adult, he never disrespected any of us and he was very willing to learn and take corrections readily. I always see my Father in him.
Amara and Tochi were preparing for their examinations, JAMB and SSCE so we excused them from many activities, they were attending preparatory Classes. Silvia and I also find time to attend preparatory classes. Though Captain paid for a personal Teacher for me, I do no keep to most of our Coaching appointments.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:07pm On Jun 28, 2014
As usual the Easter rush came and went, the result of the Examinations taken by Amara and Tochi came and they both passed in flying colours. They both gained admission to study Micro Biology and Accountancy respectively at U.N.N. Silvia and I would write our GCE come November. We both wrote the JAMB though just as a trial; I scored 208 points while Silvia scored 230 points. This made Captain so happy. We actually got admissions but could not go ahead with registration processes because we had no SSCE qualifications yet.
Amara and Tochi went to resume at School. Amara was at Enugu Campus while Tochi the elder had to leave for the Nsuka Campus. The house missed them a lot; the vacuum their absence created was so vivid.
I was driving home in the Company of captain and Chinedu on a Sunday evening along Abakaliki road close to Ogui junction. I was driving and Captain and Chinedu were in the car. Akanni, captain’s driver was in his uniform driving captain’s Tata in front of us. He was to leave the Car at my house while captain would drive it home at night. All of a sudden a Commercial vehicle Driver drove dangerously into my space in the bid to get to the bus stop before another Driver behind him. There where so many passengers at the Bus Stop. His Bus scratched my CRV in the process. The driver seemed oblivious of what he had done as his Conductor jumped out of the Car and started shouting Abakpa nike! Abakpa nike! I parked my car in front of him and before I could open my door, Captain was already on the Bus Driver, Akanni saw what was happening and parked his car at the center of the road blocking the road, and he brought out a horse whip from his car and dashed to relieve his Boss. He dragged the \Driver down and started flogging him without knowing what the Driver had done. Barger! Barger he kept calling the Driver, bloody civilian! I remained in the Car as there was no need to go out since the Men where on top of the issue. Akanni dragged the Driver to the front of his parked Car and told him to start frog jumping. The Conductor had run away as well as other Passengers in the Bus.
After drilling the Driver for about thirty minutes, Akanni dragged him to my car and told him to apologize to Oga madam, he could barely stand on his feet so he slumped and was begging me to forgive him, and Captain opened the Passenger door and sat down.
If my madam no forgive you today your own don finish! Akanni told him. The man managed to look up to me and beg remorsefully; I almost screamed when I saws his face, I thought it was my Daddy; Aunty its Uncle Amaechi! Junior whispered from the back seat. Captain told Akanni to leave the Driver and go to his Car, he then told me to come over to go over to the back seat and ordered Junior to go to the steering and drive us home. Akanni told the Driver to go away as I alighted from the Car, for Junior to take over, but as Junior was coming around to the Driver’s seat the Driver saw him and was dumb founded, he called out his name Chinedu? He fell once more on his knees and crawled out of the road. He sat by the road crying while Chinedu drove the Car off.
I am sorry my dear! Captain said: how was I to know he is your uncle? But he was a rough driver! He continued: he was driving his car recklessly. He was driving my father’s Car! I corrected, and he got what he deserved.
November came and Silvia and I wrote our GCE examinations. The examination was so easy for me and I was optimistic. December rush came in 2003 and we tackled the work pressure as it came. Tochi and Amara were around to help and Junior had rounded up his JSS2 also, he was promoted to JSS3. Oh! I forgot to tell you about my twenty third birthday celebration in August. And Cordellia’s wedding in September.
Amidst my busy schedule, captain decided to mark my birthday for me, I was prepared for any surprises so he did not make it a surprise birthday. He invited all our Friends to the Officers mess and he invited Kelvin Ugwu the popular radio presenter as the MC. It was fun all through. The peak moment was when DJ Kelvin announced that somebody had a special number to render to me. I was amazed to listen to Amart and Tochi come to the stage and did alccapella of Whitney Houston’s “And I will always love you” dedicated to me, I listened to every line of the song and I cried all through, I was so touched by the emotion embedded in the way my Sisters delivered the Song. I never imagined they could sing so well. My Sisters and Captain mimed Teddy’s “my endless love” I was soaked with my tears at the end of their rendition.

We travelled to Isuikwuator for Cordellia’s wedding on the eighteenth of September. The Traditional marriage was done in Cordellia’s family House while the Church wedding took place the next day at the Catholic Church in the Village. The Crowed was massive, the Son and heir apparent to the Igwe was wedding. I was so happy for my friend. Captain lived up his name by providing twenty four Soldiers from the Obinze military Barracks which was the Military base in Imo state. I sewed her wedding Gown but most People thought Stephen the Husband bought it from U.S.A. Stephen returned to U.S.A in October while Cordellia remained to round up her semester examination before joining him in November. Her profession is so lucrative and she had Jobs waiting for her in America upon her graduation.

After Cordellia’s wedding, Captain and I knew it was time to take our relationship to the next level. We went to the magistrate Court and made the necessary documentations; we submitted our passports photographs and paid some fees. We were given a date to come for the ceremony. We planned to go to my home town in River’s state to see my Father’s relations as regards the traditional marriage rites. Chinedu had told us that my Fathers only Sister is the best person to meet; she is widowed and had come back to her father’s House. Junior said she is a good person and would not lead us astray. We planned to go in February, after the Christmas rush. That would be in the year 2004

Pauline!

December 2003 was the busiest we had ever experienced. Amara and Tochi were on holiday. Even Silvia had to cut short her numerous trips to events and focused on her business, she never envisaged the demand pull could be so high during peak periods like December. She was forced to travel to Dubai twice just to stock up the Shop; she took Chinedu along on one of the trips. Other whole sellers came to her Shop to buy in bulk. One of the rooms in our House was used as her Ware house. She made three hundred percent profit on all she purchased from Dubai. She was indeed in business.
Amara was more interested in my kind of business while Tochi took interest in Silvia’s business. Chinedu was an all rounder. Chinedu was magic.
On a Saturday Afternoon, Silvia and I were at the Parking Lot of the Stadium preparing to go out, I had a wedding reception to anchor while Silvia was going to make some supplies, Chinedu was with me. A young Woman carrying a “Ghana must go” Bag with Baby strapped on her back came rushing and waving at us, she was calling my name. She came closer and it was Pauline, she came and knelt down before me.
Who is that? Silvia asked as she stepped out of her Car. Pauline looked behind her and saw Silvia, she called her name Silvia? She stood up gradually and moved away from us, dropped her Bag, she unstrapped her Baby, placed her gently on the floor.

Chai! She exclaimed; is this not “mumu” Silvia? Silvia is now driving a brand new Car? See Derby in a Jeep! See small Chinedu! She then lifted herself from the ground into the air and allowed herself to fall hard on the tarred ground she did this about four times screaming. It was Chinedu that ran to her rescue.
What have I done to myself? She asked no one in particular
Look at me! Look at me, my Sisters, look at me! She continued; I am only twenty five years o! But I look like a fifty years old woman! My so called husband has abandoned me with this Baby! He has gone to meet his family in Sokoto after helping me to squander my Money!
Did you say your Money? Chinedu challenged
No sir! No sir! Our Money! She corrected.
I want to die o! She continued. I want to die!
If you want to die please go back to the Barracks and die there! Chinedu told her.
When you were enjoying with your Soldier boy friend, spending our inheritance you did not think of death? Please if that is why you came here, take your Baby and leave, we have appointments to catch, Chinedu told her.
No no no! I dash you the Baby, take him o! Take him! I have not fed that Child since yesterday; there is no more milk in my breast! I too have not eaten any food for two days now. I don’t even have one naira on me! Look at me! Look at your selves! My God I am finished! She lifted herself again and fell.
I called Tochi on the Phone, she came down from the Shop to the Car park, when Pauline saw Tochi, she started her drama all over. I told Tochi to take care of her till we returned from our appointments. She laid down on the tarred road thanking and blessing me. I called Captain and gave him the update.
Back at home that night, Captain was around and we all sat in the sitting room with Pauline and her Baby. So what is your story? Captain asked her.
Please who are you sir? She asked. Are you not Doctor Ayo of the Military hospital?
He is my Fiancé Pauline, I interjected; our Court wedding is next week.
Chai! My God! Why is my own different nah? She asked; imagine! A common lance Corporal impregnated me and ran away with my Money, meanwhile here is a Captain waiting to marry you! She started to cry all over.
Listen Pauline! Captain commanded; you choose your path and got what you wanted, do not ever compare yourself with Ada or anyone in this house! If you do that I will send you far away from here! Just answer my question: what is your story? What do you want from us?
Chai! Chai! I am sorry sir! I have suffered so much in this world; I cannot continue to suffer like this!
What is your story! Go straight to the point this minute! Captain barked and stood up.
Oh sorry sir! Ehm ehm, the Soldiers have evicted me from Ibrahim’s house, they said I should go and meet him in Sokoto.
After Derbie and Silvia left the House, we stayed two months more in the Batcher before we were evicted. I moved in with Ibrahim while Caroline moved in with Lawal, we were still managing our Shop at Mammy Market and all seemed well. Later there was a miss understanding between Lawal and Ibrahim and it affected my relationship with Caroline too, so I told Caroline to give me my own share of the Money with her so I could rent a different Shop and do my own thing. She said okay but would need to seek Lawal’s consent since the Money had being transferred to Lawal’s account.

We quarreled over that. How on earth could she be so dumb? So I told Ibrahim but he got angry with me and blamed me for allowing Caroline so much control of my life. That was when my relationship with Ibrahim became sour; he told me he had been posted to Sokoto. That was when he showed me Pictures of his Wife and three kids. I was confused and did not know what to do, I was already pregnant then. I asked him what to do with my pregnancy, he said I should keep it, he said he would marry me if I was ready to be second wife and relocate to his Village in Ilela Sokoto. I disagreed. He left without saying goodbye on a Sunday before I returned from Church. He took along all the Cash I had in the House, my Clothes and jewelries. He changed his Phone number so I could not reach him.
I was shattered! I went to carol and told her all that happened to me, Carol became scared of what these Soldiers are capable of doing as she was also pregnant for Lawal, and then she pressurized Lawal to release her Money to her. That was what led to Lawal beating her up and her hospitalization. She lost the pregnancy; Lawal was subsequently dismissed from the Army because his record for brutality could no longer be condoned by the Army.

Lawal disappeared with our Money! No one knows his where about, some said they saw him at Maiduguri Cattle market, they say he is a big Cattle merchant now and he has married the daughter of the Sariki (Chief) of the Market. We fell back to the Shop, we told the Girls helping us to go as their services were no longer needed. I was Sick last week so I could not go to the Shop for two days.

On the third day a friend came to my house and told me that fraudsters had duped Caroline and have made away with everything in the Shop. I have not seen Caroline since then, I went to see the Shop by myself and I saw people renovating it. Carol had sold the Shop to a Chemist and she vanished into thin air.

I wondered about for two days begging to feed myself and my Baby. Yesterday the Army allocated Ibrahim’s House to a new recruit, he moved in immediately and I had no choice but to leave the house. This “Ghana must go” bag is all I have in the world; she got up and unzipped the bag, she brought out a big envelope and handed over to Chinedu: Take Junior, I stole this from Caroline, it is the documents to all of Daddy’s properties.
I went to Madam Ronke at “Delectable” and she told me how to contact you. She went on her knees; Derbie, Tochi, Amara, Junior! Please I beg you all in the name of God to forgive me! I am a prodigal Daughter, please just allow me to have shelter over my head and my Son’s. I can do anything to survive now. Oga Ayo please help me beg them, please I beg you! I am so ashamed of myself! See how God had vindicated them and shamed me and Carol? God had fought your battle for you Derbie! You are the rejected stone that has become the Chief Corner stone; imagine how you have brought together Tochi and Amara that were in the Orphanage. Junior that no one knew his where about, you found him. We drove you away penniless but today look at you, see your business, see your house, see…
Shut up! Shut up your smelly mouth! Captain shouted at her; have I not told you never to compare yourself with them?

Haa! Sorry! Sorry! Please! She begged, I can’t help it, please I can’t help it, it is like a dream to me, and please I am sorry! She cried.
It simply shows that you are jealous and you have not changed from you evil ways, else why would you be counting what they have and what you do not have? Do you know how they got this far? Look do not provoke me o! Captain admonished.
Please I am sorry! I am sorry! she cried.
All the Ladies in the sitting room cried profusely that night as we reconciled and accepted Pauline into our Fold.

We had a quiet Court wedding at the registry, our Friends and relations were with us, Mr. Chinedu stood in for my father, The G.O.C stood in for captain’s Father. When it comes to the proper traditional and church wedding then our real relations can play their natural roles; so said my Captain. We had a brief reception at my House. I was so exhausted that I fell asleep quite early.

I felt tingling sensation all over me, I yielded to the feelings as I spread out my arms and legs, I was between dream land and reality, I felt warm moistness over my Lips, I opened my mouth to welcome his probing tongue; it was real, I was not dreaming, my whole body was on fire, I pulled him together as I wrapped my legs and arms around him, I tore off his Singlet and pulled his Boxers, I was possessed with passion; he was not in a hurry, he wanted to play with my body, he pushed me gently on my back and undressed me slowly, I was shivering all over, I tried to control my system but I could not. He used his tongue and lips and did things to every part of my body, I was exploding carelessly, I was begging him to make me a complete woman, we were legally married now; Ay, I murmured; I love you, I whispered.
I love you too Ada, he whispered into my ears as he bites me gently on the ear lobe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:11pm On Jun 28, 2014
Please Ay, please make love to me, I want you now more than ever, please I begged. I held onto his hardness and pulled it towards my hip. I was too drenched already.

He was gentle, he raised my feet and pushed it to my hip, he spread my thighs and he mounted, he was so gentle, I felt the sharp pain, the bridge gave way. He stopped as I screamed, I urged him to continue as I held tight unto him, I exploded severally like a collapsed Dam. I riveted in spasm as I clung to him when I heard him mourning mourned too. His voice grew louder as mine grew too, we both screamed together as he slumped on me holding me tight and calling me Mummy! Mummy! He became my Baby that morning, I became his Mother as I rubbed his head and patted his back, he slept in my arms, and I slept off too. That morning, I became a complete Woman, I was smiles all day. I loved my Captain the more.

Our G.C.E result was published in January, I got six credits and two passes, luckily I credited mathematics and English, then Economics, commerce, Biology and Agriculture. I got passes in Government, History.

Silvia got three Alphas, three Credits and two passes. She got Alpha’s in English language, Literature in English and History; she credited Mathematics, Government and Christian religious studies. She passed Biology and Agriculture.

Captain advised me to go for Business administration and management. He told Silvia that she could choose between many options amongst which were, Law, theatre arts, Sociology. Silvia opted for law, so we bought jamb form and applied for Business administration and Law respectively. We both chose University of Nigeria Nsuka as our first and second Choices.

Obio Akpor-Rivers state

We went to Port Harcourt the Capital city of Rivers state; we lodged at the Officers mess at the Military cantonment Bori Camp. Junior and Silvia were with us. Ay arranged for a military JTF (Joint task force) Truck loaded with six Combatants to accompany us to Rumukurushi my Village. Ay did not wear his Uniform but a fellow captain Friend of his accompanied us in Uniform. Captain Wike.

We went straight to the Palace of the king and introduced ourselves and our intention. My Parent was dead and the eldest male in my Clan was Uncle Amaechi. Luckily he was in the Village so the meeting was scheduled for the next day so as to get all stake holders together.
We went the next day as agreed. We saw a crowed gathered at the front of the Palace, some ran away when the JTF Truck screeched to a stop and the Soldiers jumped out of the truck taking different positions. As we walked into the Palace I heard whispers, I heard someone said; see am, na she be dat! Na she shook your mama knife for yansh. I suppressed the Laughter. Ay heard it too as he stared at me and smiled; stabber he whispered.

We greeted the elders, Ay prostrated like a Yoruba man, there was exchange of Kola nuts cum Alligator pepper, Gins were poured and shared after prayers. Then Captain Wike, Ay’s Friend stood and declared our intentions to the elders.

The King welcomed us, he thanked us for our visit, and then he called upon Uncle Amaechi the family head;
Amaechi! He said, them no dey Barber Person head when him no dey there! You don hear wetin this People talk, na you be the head of the Amadi House for now, so wetin you talk?

My uncle stood up, he cleared his throat and sipped from the Cup of Gin in his hand, then he said; my elders! This People are not serious o! Na so them dey marry for Yoruba land? You just appear from no where! You carry Army dey come threaten us for this Village, you do not even have regard for Culture! Are you not supposed to come to me straight? Or don’t you know I am the head of the House? Or you think the King can force me to give you out in marriage? Is the King an Amadi? You people are not ready at all. He sat down, picked up his Gin and gulped all of the content.
Amaechi! The King called, these People are strangers, they came to our Village for the First time, but wait a minute, you are right Amaechi, Officer! please why did you not go through the Family first? Why coming straight to the Palace? After all Amaechi is their Father, he had been taking care of them since their Father died. At this juncture Chinedu stood up and raised his hands up for attention

Na who you be? The King asked.

Good evening my Elders, good evening your highness, may you live long on your throne; my name is Chinedu Amadi, I am the last born and only Son of the Late Chinedu Amadi.

Yes o! yes o! Na Chinedu pikin true true! Una no see as he resemble him Papa? He said aloud. There was murmuring round the hall. Continue my Son! He said.

Thank you, your highness,I was just six years old when my daddy died and was brought to this Village for burial, that was the last time I saw my Mother alive too. The women of my Clan humiliated my mother so much, they beat her up like a thief, like a common criminal, and they accused her of killing my father. My father died after he came to this village, he definitely was poisoned in this village because he started vomiting on his way to back to Enugu from the Village.

My Mother was rescued from the hands of her captors in this Village and taken to Enugu. My Elder Sisters had to run away from this Village! Their fathers land! Because they felt unsafe after Derbie here stabbed some women that were brutalizing my Mother! At that instance there was uproar in the hall.

Quiet! Quiet the King waved; continue my Son.

My uncle took me with him to Enugu, I expected to see my Mother and sister there but he told me my Wicked Mother had run away with them and I would see them no more! That was how I became a Slave in my Father’s house. My Uncle beats me at the slightest instance, let me show you people something! Amaechi unbuttoned his Shirt, pulled his Singlet and Displayed indelible horrible scars on the bare back to the whole Elders in the Palace; I could not hold back my scream as I saw Chinedu’s back. He never told me that part of his experience before that day. Every one shouted in the hall. The King was mad with anger, he stood up from his throne and came to feel Chinedu’s scars with his bare hands, he shook his head and stared at our Uncle in bewilderment. Some of those seated by Uncle Amaechi stood up from his side and relocated.

Chinedu continued without his Shirt on; I ate once in a day, sometimes his Children ate my food and I went without Food, his Son Nonso forced me to start smoking Igbo, he taught me to steal, I was just Lucky that I was not caught and disgraced publicly. Uncle Amaechi sold all of my Fathers Cars, remaining the Bus he is driving now, uncle did not allow me to go to secondary School even though I passed the common entrance examination and gained admission into the National grammar School Nike. I finished Primary School when my mates were in JSS3! My elders! could you believe that my Uncle sent me to go and learn to be a mechanic? While his Children were in ESUT and IMT: another uproar.

Even the mechanic I was learning he would not allow me to concentrate, as I am the person he uses as Conductor for his Bus. My future was bleak, I could not even construct a simple sentence in English, I was a riff raff, an Igbo smoker, a street urchin, while his Children were in higher institution! He sold some of my Father’s landed Properties in Enugu and some in the Village too! But I want to say here today that anyone here who has or who knows any one that has bought my Father’s properties should go and hold him to refund his Money because I have all the Original documents to my Father’s Properties!

Uproar in the hall, some People ran to my Uncle and started arguing; I will fight the Person with the Army! I will fight in the Court of Law! Amaechi continued:

I did not know my Mother had since died as a result of what my People did to her, Uncle came to Enugu and packed all of our belongings then he sealed the House against my Mum and my Sisters, my Mother lost her senses and eventually died in the process.

I ran away from the House for over three years now! Did uncle come home to tell anyone that I was missing?
Noo! No! Was the Chorus.

Well, for your information my People, I did not come home to seek Uncles consent to give the hand of my sister out in marriage! No! Not at all!

Uncle! He called out; do you even know any of my Sisters if you meet them on the Road! The answer is Capital No! Yet you stand bold before the Village to give credence to yourself, I put it to you Uncle Amaechi! That you killed my father when he visited the Village! If not you would not have been so hasty to eradicate us and take over his Properties! I implore his royal highness to invite the Dibia of this Community to make me and Uncle swear to an oath! If I lied against him, let me bear the Consequence! If uncle killed my Daddy, let him bear the wrath of the gods!
Gbam! Shouted the King.

I am Chinedu Junior Amadi, the Only Son of my Father! I am the only male from my Father’s groin, so I stand today, before you elders to give the hand of my Sister out in marriage, but because I do not know much of our Culture, I beseech you your highness to act on my behalf, because this young Woman you see here is indeed a Man! She took care of all of us else the name of my Father would have been lost. Thank you my elders.

Junior stepped aside: A young man came to him and pulled him up, then led him to where my Uncle was sitting, for my Uncle had been dragged away by the Palace Guards. They poured a Cup of Gin and handed over to Junior.

The King rose up and spoke: My people una see Life so? Una see how wicked human beings can be? Even me standing here, I bought two Plots of land from that thief, but he told me he needed to send Chinedu’s Children abroad to School. I paid four hundred thousand for the two plots, but not to worry, I know how to retrieve my money from him. I have arrested him; he will surely swear to prove his innocence.

My in-laws, I am very sorry for the drama that just enfolded, we are not like that in this Village, but there is always a Judas in every twelve. My Daughter, I shall marry you out like the Daughter of a king! The heavens will hear of your traditional wedding. Thank God I have no Daughter of my own, so this is a big opportunity for me to give a daughter out in marriage and also apologies to the Souls of your Parent. Rumukurushi shall witness a wedding like never before. I will give you people our marriage List so you will take to your People; I expect to hear from you in two weeks so we can know when you are coming for the wedding proper.

Captain did not utter a word throughout all of this; he was just staring at Junior with awe. The king called our visit the first visit “Iku Aka” and as such there was celebration in the Palace, Chinedu’s age grade identified with him immediately, they were the next set to be initiated into the ”Manhood cult” my Aunty Linda, my Fathers younger Sister took us to our Family House, it was fun as many of the Women in the House came to pay respect to Chinedu, he actually looked so much like my Father, some of the Women pointed at me and pointed to their Buttocks jokingly.

We spent two nights in Rumukurusi. Uncle refused to take the Oath, he confessed to poisoning my Daddy, he had three accomplices. The four of them were banished from our Village. The house in the Village was built by my Father so the keys were retrieved and handed over to Chinedu, the Bus was also given to Chinedu and emissaries were sent to Enugu to chase his family from our House, they returned the next day and handed the new keys they locked the House with to Chinedu. The King mandated that any one that had bought my Father’s Land should meet Chinedu to negotiate on how to return the Land or pay the prevailing value for the Land and Collect the Original document from Chinedu. He was the first to pay Chinedu six hundred thousand which was the current value of the Land. Chinedu gave him the Original documents of the land.

So we went back to Enugu with the Marriage List, Captain contacted his Parent and a date was fixed for the traditional Marriage. August 18th 2004. The day I will be twenty four.

Chinedu the Millionaire

Chinedu had no Bank account before we went to the Village but on his return to Enugu, he had a newly opened account with Zenith bank bulging with well over three Million naira, part of the Land monies paid to him. He still had about three million naira to receive from others that have pledged to pay up. The fear of the Military presence around us and the support of the King deterred any one from playing smart with us.

We went with some Soldiers to inspect our Daddy’s house at Abakpa Estate, Musa our old gateman welcomed us. He had been lurking around since the day the village emissaries came to evict Uncle Amaechi’s Family. He said he was hawking Sugar Cane along the Street on the day of the incident and the information went Viral that Chinedu was now a big Boy based in America and has come back to claim what rightfully belonged to him. Some even rumoured that Chinedu was the newly coronate King of our Village and had sent emissaries down to Enugu. Musa had been shadowing the Compound since then hoping to see Chinedu as he thought we the Girls would have scattered into oblivion. Musa was all over us, he could not hold back his joy upon realizing that we had done well for ourselves.

Chinedu refused to use the House; He said it gave him sad memories, so we consulted an estate agent to put the Whole Duplex and the Boys quarters on lease. After a month, Eco bank indicated interest and leased the Building for ten years at two million naira per annum! After deductions and commissions paid, we were left with seventeen million naira, deposited in Chinedu’s account. It was like a dream. But it was real, Chinedu a JSS 3 Student, a Boy of just over seventeen years old, with such a fortune. But Chinedu had my father’s gene in him. With the assistance of Captain, he converted one of our fathers plots of land situated at Abakpa Junction to a Car garage, He bought eight Brand new Toyota Hiace Buses and started his own Transport company “Nedu Express” his Buses shuttle between the Eastern states, Each Bus nets an average of one hundred thousand naira weekly so Chinedu was netting an average of three million, two hundred thousand naira monthly. He also carved out block of Shops in the garage which was rented out by his agent to local eatery business women and traders on basic provisions. So funny, imagine Chinedu the wheel Barrow pusher. I don’t know if he still smoked Indian hemp, if he did then he must have been every discreet.

1 Like

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:17pm On Jun 28, 2014
Musa was put as the Chief Security Guard at “Nedu Express” he loved his job, he loved his Boss. He was paid handsomely for his dedication and loyalty to our Family. Nedu Express had a policy signed with the Drivers to take full ownership of their Buses after a period of Four years. Chinedu plan was to add a new Bus to his fleet monthly. He was still doing well at School, we begged him to try and conclude his secondary education and he obliged.

Our JAMB result came out and we surpassed the cut off points so we proceeded and registered as full time Students at University of Nigeria Nsuka. I was based in Enugu while Silvia went to rent an apartment at Nsuka,Tochi moved in with her.. She shuttled between School and her business. Cordellia my Friend was on her Houseman ship at the U.N.T.H, university of Nigerian teaching Hospital, having graduated in flying colours. She came out with first Class upper degree; she had to because she was to practice in America. Tochi and Amara were in their second year in the university and Pauline and her Son were also with us. Pauline was then undecided of what to do with her life. She wanted to do what each one of us was doing. She was interested in Fashion design and catering, she desired to open a Beauty shop like Silvia, and she desired to go to School too. But she could not open up and start off on any of her aspirations so she lurked about the House all day and sometimes visited us at the Shop. My Captain was not found of her and she knew it.

Silvia had her first Boyfriend around June 2004, they met on Campus, and he was a final year Geology Student. The Boy was twenty seven while was to be twenty six. They spoke severally on Phone. I could say they were happily in love.

My traditional marriage came on my birthday. It was quite a big event in the whole of Obio Akpor L.G.A. All the political juggernauts in the Local Government and beyond, other Chiefs and kings of kingdoms graced the occasion. I was dressed up like a Princess and Ay line a Prince. Ay’s Family members were all confused as we never mentioned that I was from a royal home. Captain said we should not clear their doubts: leave them joor! He had said, when I wanted to explain the antecedent to Mummy. “nedu Express” sent all of their twelve Buses to the event. They conveyed our Guests from Enugu. Three Buses conveyed the Military Personnel alone, My staff boarded a Bus, Nigerian Army officers Wives association took four buses, staff of ‘Nedu Express” boarded a Bus, Silvia’s friends boarded a Bus while one Bus without Seats carried the items for my Dowry. I do not need to mention the magnitude of Gifts I received, or the monetary gifts I got. That was when I understood the meaning of the clause” The Rich get Richer” it’s all about connection and the People you know! But first, you have to put yourself in the lime light!

I was surprised when my King broke down in tears when he was handing me over to Ayo’s Father. Till date I still could not grasp. However I broke down in tears too because I missed my Daddy so much at that instance. I wished they were there. But I knew that my Daddy would be looking down on me from heaven, my daddy would be weeping, he would be shedding tears of joy and his Wife my Mother would cling to him, she would hold his arm and lean on him in her character and be weeping too, they would wish they had not gone too soon, they would wished someone else had not taken their place and role in our lives, my Mother would have loved to dance with me on such a day. But I simply took solace in the fact that they did not die in vain, the flock they left behind though was scattered had been gathered except for one that really went astray. My father had actually stopped appearing in my dreams since I met Captain. The reason was obvious for Ayo had played his role perfectly in my Life. At the end of the traditional marriage, late at night, lying on the bosom of my love totally fatigued, my Husband said to me: Mrs. Deborah Adanne Idowu, my wife, hmmm, just like a joke, we are truly man and Wife today! Thank you! Thank you my love for making me a proud Man, thank you for coming into my life and filling it with joy, promise me darling that you will never change from being true to me! Promise me today that under rain or shine you will stay loyal and truthful to me, be begged. I sat up and pulled him to sitting position, I looked into his eyes and I saw tears, I was scared, Ayo does not cry! My love, I called: I love you, you know I love you so much, you have been more than a friend to me, you are my Life Ay. I will die without you, I am nothing without you, Ay you are the Pillar upon which I lean. I pulled his head to my Bosom and rubbed his head the way he liked it. I have something to tell you, he said amidst his tears: what is it darling? I asked; I have been drafted to Liberia for peace keeping operation, I will leave on Monday, the day after tomorrow.

I felt a sharp pain pierce through my heart, my breathing became difficult, I clutched at my Chest to ease the throbbing pain, my vision became blurred and I passed out. But Doctor did not let me go far as he quickly resuscitated me.
I wept uncontrollably, we wept together, for we had never been apart since we started dating. I had even forgotten that he was a Soldier for real, a man of War! I asked him how long he had known and he said since a month ago, he only told Chinedu and Mr. Chinedu. And no one told me! He did not want anything to distract me from preparations towards the wedding. He apologized. He promised to stay safe for my sake. He was to be gone for one full year at minimum but would be allowed intermittent leave break. I was at my peak so we made love at every opportunity we had till he left for Liberia.

Loneliness
I never knew it could be so tough, life without Ayo was dry, it was like soup without salt, it was flat, it was sour. I fell sick and was depressed for two weeks. Talking with him on phone was nothing like having him by me. Gawd! I was lonely; a part of me was missing. All efforts by Chinedu to brighten me up did not help. Pauline used the opportunity to get closer to me but funny enough she was also scared of junior, Junior believed she was odious and should be kept at arm’s length. Whenever Junior came around me, she left.
I did not see my period for some time; Cordellia took my blood sample and called the next day to tell me that I was two weeks pregnant. I could not contain my Joy! Why was God being so kind to me? I called Ay immediately but could not get through. I called Chinedu and told him, he shouted words I could not understand on the Phone and in less than thirty minutes, he had driven to my Office from his own Office. He lifted me up and swung me around; everyone in the Shop knew immediately that I was pregnant. The feeling of Ayo’s baby in me gave me new joy.
When Ayo called me at night and I told him of my pregnancy, he screamed and I knew he must have caused a scene wherever he was. He was simply over joyed. He told me to keep it secret and not tell any of his family members yet, however he said I could confide in his Younger brother Segun. He said pregnancy is not announced because it will naturally become noticeable in due time.

December came again and every one was buried in work. Tochi and Amara were with me at the Shop, I hired two professionals to help out. Silvia was equally busy at her Shop; she went to Dubai severally, sometimes with Chinedu or Tochi because Tochi had interest beauty accessories. Silvia’s Boyfriend Richard came around and helped her at the Shop. His father was a textile Merchant at Onitsha main market. He was helpful at helping me to order for Textiles from Onitsha market. He is a very humble and versatile young man and I must confess a head turner too. I was happy that Silvia got for herself a man that was her own and shared the same interest with her.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:24pm On Jun 28, 2014
By February 2005 I started the Project on Derby Plaza; we used one on my Father's abandoned Land at Trans Ekulu. We had an initial challenge repossessing the Land because it had been resold by the original Owners. However with our Military back up, the issue was speedily resolved. The design was a storey Building with twenty Shops up and down, ample car Park space, toilets, security Office, all Shops fitted with Air conditioning system. The Shop was designed for the Elites that reside around Trans Ekulu. Work started in earnest.

I was not too serious with my School because of time constraint, however I had to sacrifice some activities at times and attend lectures, I was doing this for Captain but it was not easy working and Schooling coupled with my morning Sicknesses but according to Ayo, it is a phase that must pass. Ayo continued to call every day and Night. We had argued and eventually named our Baby, but i won’t say it now. You wait.
i came home one night and saw Chinedu and Pauline quarrelling.

Pauline: Junior why do you hate me so much? You have been bullying me since i came to this House! Is it my fault that nature has decided to favour the rest of you but me? Look at me! Look at my poor Boy! Can’t you be lenient with us and tolerate us? At least for this Boys sake!
Chinedu: it is like you do not get it do you?

Pauline: Get what? You returned from work and saw us eating and watching Television then you started nagging! Are you a Woman? It is Women that nag, or has living with Women turned you to a nag now?

Chinedu: Thank God you said I just returned from Work! What I am telling you is that you are too lazy for my liking; you sit down in this house every day eating and watching television! What do you want to do with your life? How long will you be without focus?
Pauline: how could you say that Junior! (She bursted out crying) derby! Derby! Can you hear? Can you hear what Junior is telling me? She said I do not have focus! Oh my God! Why have thou forsaken me? (Pointing to the roof) you are there watching how my younger ones are humiliating me! Simply because you blessed them and made them prosper! God please come to my rescue and vindicate me from those mocking me! She continued to cry.

i was outraged by her outcry and utterances, how could she have such an envious mind set?

Pauline! I called out. She turned around and looked at me sobbing. I cannot live with you any longer in this House! If not that my Husband travelled I should be living in the barracks by now. But you are evil, you can kill! Ha! You too Derby! You too! She cried; yes me! Did you hear all what you just said? How else could one help a Sister? Have you forgotten how you came here? Have you forgotten how desperate and depressed you were? We took you in, you and your Hausa Boy! We clothed you, fed you and made you feel at home. (Chinedu interjected)

Chinedu: even though she does not deserve it! Wicked Woman! Lazy woman! You are blaming God! Was it God that told you to take in for a man who does not love you? Was it God that told you and your Sister to cheat Us to our Mother's Money? i am sure if you were in Auntie’s position you would have turned us to slaves in your House, you would play God to us. Don’t you know how Aunty derby came to succeed! Where were you when she was attending Delectable? You were gallivanting the Barracks with your Soldier Boyfriend. Look! I give you two options, we will give you Five million naira to start up anything you like, since you said God has been unfair to you, with Five million naira in your Pocket, you can never be poor in your life. the second option is that you have to go out and work, stop using you Boy as an excuse after all he is walking now. You will come with me to the park and I will get you a Job there and place you on monthly salary since you do not have a clue of what you want to do in life.

Pauline: Junior! Derby! God bless you o! Thank you! Five million naira! Five million naira! Excuse me please. She ran to the toilet.

I told Ayo our resolution on Pauline's issue and he gave his consent, so after two weeks we rented a mini ware house at Azikiwe Road and paid in three million naira into Pauline’s newly opened Bank account. We planned going to Ogbete main market with five Buses to stock up the Super market for Pauline with two million naira for a start.

We came back from work on the first of April to find out that Pauline had disappeared; she left her Boy sleeping and vanished into oblivion! We reported to the Police but they told us not to worry that she is not kidnapped or lost but was in search of freedom. Captain was not surprised when I told him; he simply said it is "good riddance". But I was depressed, what did I do wrong? If she knew the plans we had for her.

We went ahead and opened the supermarket; I left the ownership to Chinedu because I had more than enough already. Chinedu registered the business as "Derby Stores". It made me feel so good. We employed a Lebanese as General manager to oversee the daily running of the business.
We recruited a Nanny to take care of our son. By our Culture, the Child is our fathers because Pauline was not married and neither was a dowry paid on her before having the Baby. Pauline had never called the Boy any name to our hearing, she called him 'my son' so we named the child Paul. Paul Chukwuemeka Amadi.
I wrote my first semester examination between April and May, it was quite easy, I guess I read too hard. I missed some tests and assignment though but i resolved it will not happen in subsequent semesters, I have been shown the way.

I walked into the room to see Dupe searching my properties; she stopped suddenly as she heard my voice: who are you and what are you doing here? I challenged. She hid her right hand behind her back. What do you have there? I asked; what have you stolen from me? You are the thief! She spat out. You stole my Child and I have come to claim him back she said angrily. Which your Child? I asked; are you okay? Please leave my room this moment! She charged towards me screaming thief! Thief! I turned and fled calling on Ayo for help, I tripped and fell, she was upon me in a jiffy pounding on my Stomach, die! Die! Die! She was screaming.

I screamed as a piercing sharp pain woke me from my sleep. I had been dreaming. The door to my room flung open as Chinedu and his Sisters ran into my room panicking; what’s the matter Aunty they asked. I was about to tell them it was a dream then Amara screamed pointing at my legs. I looked down and saw blood dripping from my pants. I screamed again and clutched my stomach as the pains continued. Chinedu lifted me up and dashed to the Car.

I lost a six month pregnancy. Everyone around me was heartbroken as they mourned with me. I told Chinedu my dream and he said I should tell Captain. I told him I could not. How do I tell him that I have lost his Child? A man that was at the war front. But not telling would also resort to given him false hopes. I wanted to bid my time; Captain called later in the day while I was still on admission, he sensed that something was wrong with me but I told him I was down with fever and was on admission at the Military hospital, I feigned as if all was well so as not to get him suspicious and we discussed late into the night. After the call, I cried my eyes out. Cordellia was not around so Madam Joana was with me at the Hospital.

I was discharged after two days at the Hospital, I was distraught and distressed, I lost every zeal to move on, I wished Captain had been around, he would definitely have prevented this from happening; his presence alone could have been helpful. He had not called for two days, I guessed it was Work. Sometimes he skipped calls for a day or two if they are advancing at war or retreating from Enemy pressure. I wished he would call.
He called on the third Night, I was at home alone with Tochi and Paul, Paul was a very cute Boy and he loved me like his Mother, he was all over me, he sleeps with me and cries anytime I was not within his sight. Ayo called and sounded so low, he apologized for having called for two days, he said he had been at the front. We talked for a while before he threw it at me. So how are you now? He asked; I am okay honey, I replied: Are you taking your drugs? Yes honey I replied. Sorry my dear, do not worry so much my dear, God knows the best, he will give us another baby, he said.

I was shocked and speechless, someone had told him! I could not mutter a word, I simply busted out weeping as if it just happened, I cried uncontrollably and I cut off the phone on him, I did not pick the phone again through the night though he kept calling. Chinedu returned to the house around 9:00PM and met me crying. I told him about my Phone discussion with my Husband; I told him about it he said: why? Why? I queried: someone has to, he said; since you could not do it yourself, I had to help you. The earlier we told him, the better he said. I cried some more. My Phone rang again and junior picked the call and left the room with the phone as I raised my voice crying louder.

I mourned for the loss of my Baby, a baby Boy, his name would have been Ayodeji. I lost weight drastically as I lost my appetite for food. I could not imagine why fate could suddenly deal me such a blow when everything seemed to have fallen into place in my life. Captain also was affected; he was merely trying hard not to show it. He had expected to return from Liberia and see his Child, he had said so much about his plans for the Child so when he tried not to dwell on the issue of the miscarriage, I knew he was suffering inside and this made me to cry the more. Captain was at War front so he should not be at war with himself. So I called him and begged him, I cried and explained everything to him. It worked, for he poured out his heart out too, he cried on the phone like a baby and poured out all the bottled up feelings.at the end he felt better and he advised me not to take the dream seriously as it was just a figment of my imagination.

I resumed work in June and channeled all my energy towards the building project, it was at the second decking stage, and I intended to move in there after the Christmas rush of the year. Second semester had also started and Silvia and Tochi had gone back to School. I made a couple of Friends at School and I gave five of my Lecturers gifts of shirts and trousers I designed, they were all thankful and they scolded me for having hiding from them all the while. Junior was in Senior secondary School too and our businesses were doing great. Derby's Stores had become the fastest Shopping Centre in Town. The Shop was known for its quality products and services at affordable prices. The Lebanese will always be the best at managing such businesses. "Nedu Express" was at its peak with a fleet of Twenty two Buses. A new Branch had been opened at Onitsha with a fleet of twelve cars and twenty Buses. First bank actually partnered with the Company to set up the Onitsha branch. Nkechi the newly married daughter of Madam Joana lived with her husband at Onitsha so she was employed as the general manager of "Nedu Express" Onitsha Branch.

Paul had started kindergarten, such a cute Boy he was, I took him around during weekends, it got some people confused as to if he was my Son or not. the Bold ones actually came and asked me if Paul was the baby I was pregnant with, to such persons I answered no, I told them Paul was my Nephew, that I lost my Pregnancy and they apologized and pay platitudes. But I had come over the loss and had moved on. But it felt good knowing that Paul was my Father's Child. My late Father had become a grand Father. Pauline was still elusive, though we heard she was seen at Night Clubs and Hotels having fun with different men. She wanted freedom, she had gotten freedom.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by RoyalRoy(m): 2:41am On Jun 29, 2014
petylv: I don't know what went wrong, I wanted to sign in with my username and I was getting not registered, I had to open another account with the same username and email, I really don't know what happened to my previous account. Here I am thinking I must have missed a lot, I'm so surprise right now not to have found anything on your post. It is well

Sorry about that Pettyluv.... any topic and account opened after January 10 has all been wiped away by the hack on nairaland. Lots of people have lost lots of tropics and posts too. Real sad though.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 29, 2014
Royal Roy:

Sorry about that Pettyluv.... any topic and account opened after January 10 has all been wiped away by the hack on nairaland. Lots of people have lost lots of tropics and posts too. Real sad though.
. Very sad. Thanks for the info.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by Jeanfortune(f): 7:42am On Jun 30, 2014
oh!!, this story, this story, i just wanna cry, why did Derby have to loose dat babyy na, i hope captain AY doesnt die, dear Lord pls keep him safe at least for d sake of Derby

2 Likes

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by merlin2oo(m): 9:49am On Jun 30, 2014
thank God DOM that U save ur work, it would av been a disaster ,bcus av beeb following ur restless bumper to bumper since U started the story
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 5:09pm On Jun 30, 2014
merlin2oo: thank God DOM that U save ur work, it would av been a disaster ,bcus av beeb following ur restless bumper to bumper since U started the story
Disaster! you said? That is an understatement! It would have been NEBUCADNEZAR!!

1 Like

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2014
DOMAWOLEYE: hmmm, i cant seem to find any of my posts o! well thank God i have soft copies handy.
Doma,ur story is the bomb! I have been a silent guest of nairaland,but because of u, i registered today. Well done sir.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:05pm On Jun 30, 2014
hephzibahbeulah:
Doma,ur story is the bomb! I have been a silent guest of nairaland,but because of u, i registered today. Well done sir.

Beulah, I feel honoured. Thank you so much. God bless you!

1 Like

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 01, 2014
DOMAWOLEYE:

Beulah, I feel honoured. Thank you so much. God bless you!
My pleasure Doma. Happy new month and welcome to d best half of 2014 sir.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by gennysq(f): 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
Yeeeeeey! Thank God for u Dom, if not, naso we for miss dis lovely story smiley
Am happy we survived d bomb-blast on NL oo grin

Eeehyah! ℓ̊ feel for Derby for losing d pregnancy. As for Pauline.. E dey ha body. Sumpple aint gifted wit foresight, no future plans for Deir lives.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by bibie01(f): 9:13am On Jul 03, 2014
Good to have you back Dom, am so happy we are here again.
Btw, so sorry for Derbie's lose n God will reward all her good deeds wiv her own child n keep her captain safe...
Erm, Dom please whr are u from? Just curious cos of ur name.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 11:57am On Jul 03, 2014
bibie01: Good to have you back Dom, am so happy we are here again.
Btw, so sorry for Derbie's lose n God will reward all her good deeds wiv her own child n keep her captain safe...
Erm, Dom please whr are u from? Just curious cos of ur name.

Dear Bibie, thank you for your comments, yes o! we pray fate smiles on Derby and her Hubby.
Meanwhile my Name is Dominic Ayokunle Awoleye, i am from Ekiti State, i currently live in Port harcourt and Aba. ( I work in Aba).

1 Like

Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by kingjulian: 12:20pm On Jul 03, 2014
Thank God u saved this story
Pls when is the next update.God bless you..
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by bibie01(f): 8:25pm On Jul 03, 2014
DOMAWOLEYE:

Dear Bibie, thank you for your comments, yes o! we pray fate smiles on Derby and her Hubby.
Meanwhile my Name is Dominic Ayokunle Awoleye, i am from Ekiti State, i currently live in Port harcourt and Aba. ( I work in Aba).

Alright, thanks for taking ur time to explain your name.
Re: Restless...story Of A Survivor. by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 11:40pm On Jul 04, 2014
On the first Saturday in September, we all travelled to Onitsha for the commissioning of Nedu Express at Onitsha. It was a grand event that featured dignitaries.

Big names in business and Politics graced the occasion. The state's commissioner for commerce and industry, the honourable commissioners for Tourism, environment, and transportation were there. The registrar of the chambers of commerce. The Chairman of the occasion was Anambra State Governor ably represented by the deputy Governor as his Excellency was unavoidably absent.

Representatives of the national union of Road transport Workers were there , the commissioner of Police ,the commander of the federal Road safety Corp were also present. I did not know how Junior was able to put this together, but I later gathered that the bank did all the networking because they had a stake in the Business too.

The event went well through the cutting of the tape.

The most intriguing moment was when the Managing director cum Chief Executive Officer of the company was called upon to give the vote of thanks and an eighteen year old Boy mounted the Podium! He received a standing ovation from the petrified crowd.

After the event we visited the home of Richard, Silvia’s Boy friend, we went to the Father’s Shop at Ariaria before visiting their home to see the Mother and Siblings. Such lovely and humble family Richard came from. The Father wished they could come for introductory marriage rites soonest but the love birds had their own plans laid down, they were not ready yet.

Ile IFE
We spent the night at Richards family house and the next morning, Junior and I set out for Ile Ife to visit my In-laws while the rest of us went back to Enugu.

It was actually Juniors advise that I visit Ayo’s Parent now that he was away at War, he said Ayo would love the idea. We were already at Ilesha when I called Mummy to tell her I was almost at Ife. She screamed on the Phone and said many things in Yoruba language that I could not understand.

We reached home at about 2:00PM and settled down in Ay’s room, everyone was at home, even Segun came home for the weekend. Segun and Junior connected immediately and they hit Town while Mummy was with me in the room, I gave her all the gifts we bought for them including giant dried Stock fish the Yorubas call Panla, she was so happy with our presence, she asked a million questions and I tried to answer as many as I could.

At 8:00PM Mummy came back to my room: Omi mi (My child) are you okay? She asked, why Mummy? I asked: I am okay Ma, I replied. You look thin and pale, are you sick? Or are you pregnant? She teased.

I could not answer immediately because I did not know what answer to give so she suspected something was amiss. Talk to me Omo mi she begged, am I not your Mother?

I lost an eight month pregnancy Mummy! I blurted out. Jesu! (Jesus) she exclaimed and fell on the floor. Eewo! (Abomination) Not in my family! Not in Idowu family! We do not loose pregnancies in Idowu family, though we do not have many Children in the Family but we do not lose our pregnancies! She began to weep. What happened? How did it happen? Tell me my Daughter she asked amidst sobs, was it a Boy or a Girl? She further asked, I am sure it was a boy she answered; Baba said Ayo’s first Child would be a Boy and I told your husband to take you to Baba o! I warned him o! But Ayo is so stubborn, she kept on crying and muttering to herself.

And I saw it o! she continued: I saw it in a dream, I dreamt that a Lady was chasing you, she was pushing you out of my Son’s House and when you refused to leave, she tried to stab your Stomach with a Knife then I woke up suddenly, I could not understand the meaning of the dream then but I prayed and went back to sleep. When I woke up that morning I had tried to reach you on Phone and warn you from fighting with any Woman but the telephone network was bad so I could not reach you. I eventually forgot about the dream. Oh my God she continued to cry again while I pacified her

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) / Nairaland Detection Club / A Strange Love (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 428
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.