Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:10 PM

Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? (7321 Views)

Why Do Jamaicans Make People Fear Them / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? / Ile-ife- City Of 201 Gods(3) (conversion & The New Face Of Modernity In Ile-ife) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by vikel2104: 6:10am On Jun 28, 2014
Our parents and grandparents tell us of the communal life they had in the past when everyone looked out for his neighbour. But nowadays, it's every man to himself. True, it is natural for every man to look out for himself first before others but it seems this tendency has increased over the years. It is not just peculiar to urban societies. Go to the rural places and you'll find the situation very much the same. The attitude of being one's brother's keeper seems to be going into extinction. So one cannot but ask this question, Does modern life promote individualism?

1 Like

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by lomaxx: 6:16am On Jun 28, 2014
Modernism comes with advances in technology. Technology makes you more self-reliant and purpose-driven. Besides, communal life came with its own disadvantages.

So bro, all man to himself.

13 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by vikel2104: 9:49am On Jun 28, 2014
lomaxx: Modernism comes with advances in technology. Technology makes you more self-reliant and purpose-driven. Besides, communal life came with its own disadvantages.

And modern life does not have its own disadvantage also? Your last statement is its disadvantage. We live among other humans and one cannot always be self sufficient.

5 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by tpia: 6:44pm On Jun 28, 2014
migration does.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Fulaman198(m): 9:16pm On Jun 28, 2014
lomaxx: Modernism comes with advances in technology. Technology makes you more self-reliant and purpose-driven. Besides, communal life came with its own disadvantages.

This statement I do agree with. But I don't agree with 'every man for himself or to himself' I don't believe in selfish behaviour.

3 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Ericardo7(m): 3:36am On Jun 29, 2014
amen.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 3:44am On Jun 29, 2014
To me, it make you draw more closer to your family... But i think long family relationship is going down..even let alone your neigbour.
And it depend on the family you came from...some love theselve why some doesnt care about others... So far everything is becoming easy now, communication is easy, it wont let you to be far from you to be far from your friends and neigbours
being coming togther and sharing things togther is very importan.
until you have something good to dothen you will know that is good to caring people along.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Afam4eva(m): 3:48am On Jun 29, 2014
I think i watched a trending video some weeks ago that supports your assertion. The world is becoming a world where every man has to fend for himself and think for himself before anyone else. That communal spirit is fast disapearing even in Nigeria and Africa where it's supposed to be cultural. I lived in an estate in Nigeria where you don't even know the name of your neigbour let alone talk to them. Everyone just comes out of their house, enter their car and move out. There's no camaraderie between people. The only place where there's still a glimmer of hope as far as communal living goes is in the low class neighborhoods. Even families are not as close nit as they used to be.

9 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 4:18am On Jun 29, 2014
Communal spirit is disappearing because nowadays people are wicked.
So now it's mind your business.

3 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by jansolo(f): 4:21am On Jun 29, 2014
I think it depends on a person. As long as you know how to appreciate people and things around you.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by 1k001(m): 4:24am On Jun 29, 2014
I think it does. Modernity shifts one focus away from the basics of life (food, shelter etc - communal necessities) to more esoteric accomplishments that are usually self driven.

The western societies that are 'modern' exhibit a high amount of individualism, and not infrequently to the detriment of the community. The advantage they have however is the relatively solid systems they have been able to build over time that checks the adverse effects of individualism to a degree.

African societies on the other hand are traditionally communal (closer to life's basic needs) and breed individuals that act in the best interest of the community. The intrusion of western 'modernity' sadly has totally destroyed this fabric of African society particularly as the systems haven't evolved to check the natural excesses of individualism.

From reading the great epidemiologist Prof wilkinson's book the spirit level, data shows that altogether, the more the wellbeing of the community is looked after, the more likely that most individuals in that community are happier and better off.

9 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by reedbam: 4:27am On Jun 29, 2014
1k001: I think it does. Modernity shifts one focus away from the basics of life (food, shelter etc - communal necessities) to more esoteric accomplishments that are usually self driven.

The western societies that are 'modern' exhibit a high amount of individualism, and not infrequently to the detriment of the community. The advantage they have however is the relatively solid systems they have been able to build over time that checks the adverse effects of individualism to a degree.

African societies on the other hand are traditionally communal (closer to life's basic needs) and breed individuals that act in the best interest of the community. The intrusion of western 'modernity' sadly has totally destroyed this fabric of African society particularly as the systems haven't evolved to check the natural excesses of individualism.

From reading the great epidemiologist Prof wilkinson's book the spirit level, data shows that altogether, the more the wellbeing of the community is looked after, the more likely that most individuals in that community are happier and better off.

Great perspective bro!

Your post should make another topic for FP just saying grin
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by GboyegaD(m): 4:31am On Jun 29, 2014
I think modernization makes you more self reliant and thus, reduces the fraternization with people who are not of like minds in terms of your ambitions which include family, friends, neighbours, amongst others.

2 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 4:34am On Jun 29, 2014
GboyegaD: I think modernization makes you more self reliant and thus, reduces the fraternization with people who are not of like minds in terms of your ambitions which include family, friends, neighbours, amongst others.

I agree with this.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by gbaskiboy: 4:39am On Jun 29, 2014
moral values declines everyday as a result of modernism. even the most trusted person end up being a betrayal, so people seems to do things in their own way. "all man for himself, but God for us all" this might breed the notion

1 Like

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 4:53am On Jun 29, 2014
It does! Most things are at your beck and call. Infact some people have relationships with their phone.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Pavore9: 5:09am On Jun 29, 2014
lt unfortunately does, it is now me, myself and l.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Dygeasy(m): 5:17am On Jun 29, 2014
vikel2104: And modern life does not have its own disadvantage also? Your last statement is its disadvantage. We live among other humans and one cannot always be self sufficient.
...and if I choose to be self-sufficient, whose goddamn business is it?

Oh, I'm being individualistic. Sorry.

#okbye
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Dygeasy(m): 5:21am On Jun 29, 2014
odun4love: To me, it make you draw more closer to your family... But i think long family relationship is going down...
And it depend on the family you came from...some love theselve why some doesnt care about others... So far everything is becoming easy now, communication is easy, it wont let you to be far from you to be far from your family.....
Family is very important until you have something good to know then you will know.
lol!

See as you confuse yourself.

You for just dey sleep jeje. grin

the OP no even mention family.

1 Like

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 29, 2014
vikel2104: Our parents and grandparents tell us of the communal life they had in the past when everyone looked out for his neighbour. But nowadays, it's every man to himself. True, it is natural for every man to look out for himself first before others but it seems this tendency has increased over the years. It is not just peculiar to urban societies. Go to the rural places and you'll find the situation very much the same. The attitude of being one's brother's keeper seems to be going into extinction. So one cannot but ask this question, Does modern life promote individualism?

why all man to himself? why not advice your girlfriend to take care of your friends in all aspect including the s... part. after come talk about brothers keeper. Am out!!
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by vikel2104: 5:24am On Jun 29, 2014
Dygeasy: ...and if I choose to be self-sufficient, whose goddamn business is it?

Oh, I'm being individualistic. Sorry.

#okbye
it's nobody's business but the fact is, sooner or later, you'll be needing someone's help.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Dygeasy(m): 5:33am On Jun 29, 2014
vikel2104: it's nobody's business but the fact is, sooner or later, you'll be needing someone's help.
stop being prophetic.

And when I need help, what happens? I'll need to ask someone right?

The fact that I'm individualistic or self-sufficient/reliant doesn't make me a lunatic whom everybody would turn out. I just might not have found a common ground to relate with my neighbours. It doesn't mean we are enemies or something of that sort.

1 Like

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Dannylux: 6:09am On Jun 29, 2014
It promotes self-reliance, yes. 'What belongs to everyone belongs to no one', I think this adage is becoming inherent as the world advances Technologically. It's that simple.

2 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by DesChyko: 6:19am On Jun 29, 2014
Surely.
A typical example is if you consider the urban settings. It is well known for the 'mind your business' mode of existence. Unfortunately, this habit has found its way into the rural areas too, imported by the people from the city.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Innodon(m): 6:20am On Jun 29, 2014
yea
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by ITbomb(m): 7:25am On Jun 29, 2014
I remembered when we use to know the names of everyone on our street when growing up and they knew ours, you had a hectic time greeting and answering greetings, now I don't even know my neighbour's name, I only know the name of his car

3 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by blakky97(m): 7:35am On Jun 29, 2014
Unfortunately it does!
I lived in Benin city all along before I was posted to a village-like place in Ogun state, Ago iwoye. I found a lot of difference, the tall boys and girls would greet you any time they see you, they all address you as sir, brother, master, etc- yorubas have respect! And I love the people so much that I wanted to buy a land there.
Now I got a job in lagos- I took a house there. Ajah area. Everything is a lot different. Not even the smallest female child would greet you, no body helps a dying man, nobody cares about your car, flatscreen, inverter, and all that would jave invited a crowd to your house in ogun state.
I fell seriously ill one day, GTB atm was not working, I was shakking inside a danfo that was trapped in a hopeless traffic. I didn't have cash to buy drugs. That was when I knew that I would rather build my home in a place like Ibadan than a modern place like lagos. No help of any sort. The best any one could do was to describe a hospital for me. No cash, they hardly even believed me. The bus driver was harsh when it was time to comeout of his car. My neighbours don't interract. They are so cold. I thought to my self- if I died tonight, no onw would even know! When I was I sick in ogun state, my neighbours daughter nursed me. She made my meals and ran errands for me. What happened to the hearts of men that live in the city? Oh! Damn the city!

10 Likes

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 29, 2014

you have said it all,and its getting worse. It will get to a point that even within the family,it will be all man for himself.
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 29, 2014
Modernization has made people individualistic. Since the advent of technology, I have been solely on my own just coming once in awhile to talk to friends. I don't really like it but my work is mainly done in my laptop. So, I find myself drifting away from my friends. Modernization has really killed freestyling in friendship. You only get to chat with your friend and highest, spend like 3hrs with them in the bar. But I still don't want to go back to the analogue like, its very stressful. If you want to gain something, u will have lose another thing.

1 Like

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by Anthrophile(m): 8:06am On Jun 29, 2014
Modernism created individualism and stamped out communal living; but people in low and middle-class neighbourhoods still live communally in every part of the world. western nations inclusive.

1 Like

Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by imsuboi(m): 8:13am On Jun 29, 2014
undecided
Re: Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? by imsuboi(m): 8:13am On Jun 29, 2014
space booked sha

(1) (2) (Reply)

OGOJA - All You Need To Know About The Ogoja People / Oriki - Is There Anything Historical In It For Us? / Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.