Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,673 members, 7,801,941 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. (41090 Views)

16 Female Patients Accuse Nigerian Doctor Of Sexual Assault / Doctor Of Optometry / Is Community Pharmacy The Only "lucrative Aspect Of Pharmacy"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Pennywise(m): 8:44am On Jun 29, 2014
Going to other well structured countries to import corrupt variants of pharmacy programs cannot help the practice of pharmacy in Nigeria. It will be abused as we have seen. Pharmacies are being turned to mini clinics with 'side labs' on account of 'pharmD' They are even transfusing blood without the slightest hint of diagnosis and treatment of transfusion reactions. This is creating a regulation nightmare in some places.

Real pharmacists should stand up and speak against these lazy treasure hunters in the interest of the profession.

These same people are also in the medical profession hoding on to CMD positions like its their birth right. They have no formal training to head hospitals but from the look of things they might want to take cue from our gold digging pharmacists to legitimize their hold by introducing one or two courses in hospital management.

2 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 8:45am On Jun 29, 2014
Black Swan:
Ha! Isn't it obvious that the desire to be called 'Doctors' is a huge driving force behind this development?
PharmD in other countries is like a post graduate degree but the Nigerian case is different. PharmD in Nigeria is first degree .

Typical of Nigerians. Instead of trying to revive our non existent drug manufacturing sector, they are more obsessed in drifting into another role.

As if pharmacist haven't always helped doctors in recommending drugs and monitoring patients.

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by sikells(m): 8:57am On Jun 29, 2014
Pennywise: Everybody wants to be a doctor withour having to go through the stiff competition and rigors that medical school entails. The pharmacists, the optometrists also recently started a 6 yr program and are now called doctors doing all kinds of things including seting iv lines in phamacies and 'optometry clinics'. I wonder what the nurses and radiographers are still waiting for. Truly competent unionists perhaps?.

Pharmacists and Optometrists who left school long bf this fraudulent scheme was contrived are brandishing complimentry cards appending 'Dr' to their names. We dont know who is a real doctor anymore n Nigeria.

Pharmacists have since abdicated their roles in the health sector to traders and are now looking for fertile grounds by corrupting an allied profession. Pharma practice in Nigeria has stagnated in Nigeria so badly. While breakthroughs are being reported in other countries their only achievement in Nigeria is being called doctors.

But the sad part of this is that if u want to be a doctor and still legitimately proceed with your parmaceutical dreams, U can. They are called clinical pharmacologists and the country has many of them. But these charlatans want a short quick route. Why not? Everything goes in Nigeria.

For those who are quick to draw a parallel with what is obtainable in the US and other countries, the Nigerian Pharm D is a fraud for many reasons I dont have the time to go into. Ghana started bc they saw Nigeria and many other countries with vocal trade unions will soon follow.

The Nigerian pharmacists have simply taken the fight against doctors to a whole new level and they consider this a victory in what is no more than licensed quackery. The consequence is a chaotic health sector where nothing appears to be what it seems.

Perhaps this wouldnt have happened if doctors out of selfishness have not tenaciously held on to leadership of the health sector in appointments to political and administrative positions! God help Nigeria.
this post is just not encouraging at all..why must doctors always have problems with other health professionals?y do they seek to control all health professions...health professionals are supposed to work together..little wonder why our health system is just nothing to write home about
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 8:57am On Jun 29, 2014
Knowledge9000:

Hogwash! Very arrogant being. This fruit of arrogance this OLD MAN proudly exhibit is ubiquitous in virtually every segment of our polity and responsible for running this country to the toilet. This is why we are backward...technocrats are trying to effect change, however some intransigent Nigerians are religiously bent on maintaining the status quo. The is how they ran Dr. Bart Nnnaji out of the country, rendering his ideas fruitless. The article clearly states the differences between BS in Pharmacy and Pharm D., and the deficiencies in BS. The differences stated are self-explanatory. Your subjective and anecdotal views are completely irrelevant.

Bros!!! I'll have to tell you sharrap for a second time. no offence.

With all due respect to the academia and the so called technocrats in pharmacy, They are probably good in pharmacy and pharmacology but they are poor administrators and policy formulators.

In Nigeria today, all pharmacists do is sit in the hospital dispensing drugs or set up a phantom pharmaceutical companies and start importing drugs from countries like Vietnam. VIETNAM for God's sake.

and This Pharm.D shit is all they could come up with? as a way of addressing the shortcomings of Pharmacy in Nigeria? Like seriously? This degree IMHO is a way of justifying their sitting in the hospitals. And will give them more impetus to keep drowning in mediocrity.

Canada still accepts B.Pharm as minimum requirement, even Vietnam. Yet their drug making industry is still active.

So spare me your rants and your grammar
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by kenpia: 8:59am On Jun 29, 2014
Am liking the energies, positive and negative, this topic is generating. Since both the doctors and pharmacist have employment today because of us, the patients, am indirectly saying we pay your salaries, can you focus the discussion on how and why approving a Pharm.D program can or cannot benefit me. Rather than focusing on yourselves.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 8:59am On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Typical of Nigerians. Instead of trying to revive our non existent drug manufacturing sector, they are more obsessed in drifting into another role.

As if pharmacist haven't always helped doctors in recommending drugs and monitoring patients.

And what is the non existent manufacturing sector u're talking about? We have the best Pharmaceutical Industry in Africa second only to South Africa. Bring ur stats! What are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 9:00am On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

The answer to your question is an emphatic YES!!

Can you please kindly share how that's gonna happen?

Thanks
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 9:02am On Jun 29, 2014
Pennywise: Going to other well structured countries to import corrupt variants of pharmacy programs cannot help the practice of pharmacy in Nigeria. It will be abused as we have seen. Pharmacies are being turned to mini clinics with 'side labs' on account of 'pharmD' They are even transfusing blood without the slightest hint of diagnosis and treatment of transfusion reactions. This is creating a regulation nightmare in some places.

Real pharmacists should stand up and speak against these lazy treasure hunters in the interest of the profession.

These same people are also in the medical profession hoding on to CMD positions like its their birth right. They have no formal training to head hospitals but from the look of things they might want to take cue from our gold digging pharmacists to legitimize their hold by introducing one or two courses in hospital management.
I..... I'm stupefied! ''mini clinics''? ''side labs''? ''blood transfusion'' in Nigeria? Do you really have to come up with conjectures just to denigrate the pharmacy profession? Where did the transfusion illegally happen? When did it happen? It's not about the ''Dr'' title thing,but meeting up to international standards!

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 9:03am On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Bros!!! I'll have to tell you sharrap for a second time. no offence.

With all due respect to the academia and the so called technocrats in pharmacy, They are probably good in pharmacy and pharmacology but they are poor administrators and policy formulators.

In Nigeria today, all pharmacists do is sit in the hospital dispensing drugs or set up a phantom pharmaceutical companies and start importing drugs from countries like Vietnam. VIETNAM for God's sake.

and This Pharm.D shit is all they could come up with? as a way of addressing the shortcomings of Pharmacy in Nigeria? Like seriously? This degree IMHO is a way of justifying their sitting in the hospitals. And will give them more impetus to keep drowning in mediocrity.

Canada still accepts B.Pharm as minimum requirement, even Vietnam. Yet their drug making industry is still active.

So spare me your rants and your grammar

It's so funny how u seem to know the pharmacy profession more than the people practicing it.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 9:04am On Jun 29, 2014
obayaya:

Can you please kindly share how that's gonna happen?

Thanks

When m back from church
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 29, 2014
Gloried medicine sellers grin
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 9:04am On Jun 29, 2014
nagoma: The "wannabe Doctors" are desperate . Pharmacists , Optometrists and even ambulance drivers want to be referred to as Docrors and they refuse to go through medical school. The confusion in Nigeria's healthcare continues as we copy blindly from America.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 9:05am On Jun 29, 2014
xlad21: nobody is really interested in titles. There's no glory in being called a Dr. Go and ask recent medical graduates, 80% of them wish they studied accounting or economics or engineering in school. That being said....many people on this trend are talking out of a position of ignorance, to be fair to them, the article didn't do the topic justice. Bpharm and PharmD are 2 totally different degrees. There's a reason only one school currently offers it in nigeria. PharmD holders are meant for hospital and hospital work alone, while there are several other aspects of pharmacy care including production, research, chemistry and even sourcing that the general pharmacist is supposed to be doing, hence the need for Bpharm. Some schools abroad actually offer both degrees separately. Personally I don't think Nigeria has reached the level of medical care to be affording these degrees, the PharmD program is very restrictive, our medical doctors can barely get decent jobs in hospitals, and now you wanna restrict pharmacists to hospitals too. The Bpharm degree offers so much more flexibility, that allows the pharmacist to be able to do other things if he can't get a look in at the hospitals. I think any school that has the intention and capability to offer PharmD should do so, let's not turn this into another stupid pharmacist vs dr argument.

Now that's the most informed comment on this thread
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 9:05am On Jun 29, 2014
nagoma: The "wannabe Doctors" are desperate . Pharmacists , Optometrists and even ambulance drivers want to be referred to as Docrors and they refuse to go through medical school. The confusion in Nigeria's healthcare continues as we copy blindly from America.

For the first time we are on the same side of the debate. grin

It is every paramedics desire to bear the title 'Dr', but none of them wants to pass through the medical school and study the nitty-gritty of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Pathology. I was teaching a Med. Lab student Immunology, he continued to interrupt me, telling me that I was paying attention to details, reminding me that he is not a studying Med/Surg. Explaining further that he only need a general overview of the course to enable him pass exam. Tommorrow, the same guy will rub shoulders with doctors in the hospital.

3 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Pennywise(m): 9:09am On Jun 29, 2014
Repeat.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Pennywise(m): 9:10am On Jun 29, 2014
sikells:
this post is just not encouraging at all..why must doctors always have problems with other health professionals?y do they seek to control all health professions...health professionals are supposed to work together..little wonder why our health system is just nothing to write home about
Not all doctors. A few doctors esp those with dinosaur mentality perhaps. Fortunately they are not many anymore. Their thinking and orientation have been overtaken by modernization and a need to uphold global best practice.

But the action of these glory/fortune-seeking pharmacists will be viewed as a threat and the dinosaurs will come back and probably begin to procreate.

2 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 9:13am On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

And what is the non existent manufacturing sector u're talking about? We have the best Pharmaceutical Industry in Africa second only to South Africa. Bring ur stats! What are you talking about?

Best Pharmaceutical Industry? Second only to South Africa? Which industry? This ones producing only Paracetamol? shocked

That imports virtually every drug? Well I don't have stats but you can help me with yours.

2 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 9:14am On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

For the first time we are on the same side of the debate. grin

It is every paramedics desire to bear the title 'Dr', but none of them wants to pass through the medical school and study the nitty-gritty of Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Pathology. I was teaching a Med. Lab student Immunology, he continued to interrupt me, telling me that I was paying attention to details, reminding me that he is not a studying Med/Surg. Explaining further that he only need a general overview of the course to enable him pass exam. Tommorrow, the same guy will rub shoulders with doctors in the hospital.
Tsk! Pharmacy students take Biochemistry,Anatomy,Pharmacology and Physiology with Pathology the only exception. . . Come up with something ''better'' please. . .

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 9:16am On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

It's so funny how u seem to know the pharmacy profession more than the people practicing it.

I don't claim I know it more than ppl practicing it. But I know ppl practicing it. And I have eyes and ears to see that nothing is happening in Nigeria's pharmaceutical industry
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by obayaya(m): 9:16am On Jun 29, 2014
adeola_drg:

When m back from church

I'll be waiting
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Pennywise(m): 9:25am On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: I..... I'm stupefied! ''mini clinics''? ''side labs''? ''blood transfusion'' in Nigeria? Do you really have to come up with conjectures just to denigrate the pharmacy profession? Where did the transfusion illegally happened? When did it happen? It's not about the ''Dr'' title thing,but meeting up to international standards!

Its a relation. I went to visit him. I saw 2 others on drip with a young pharmD brandishing stetoscope. What insult.

1 Like

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 9:27am On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: Tsk! Pharmacy students take Biochemistry,Anatomy,Pharmacology and Physiology with Pathology the only exception. . . Come up with something ''better'' please. . .

The catchword there is NITTY-GRITTY. Even Physiotherapists/Nurses/Radiographers do study these courses too, but not in details. Does pharmacy students do practicals with cadaver? I mean dissecting cadaver region by region. It is only Anatomy/MedSurg students that does it.

Moreover, how can you treat a patient without the knowledge of the PATHOLOGY behind the disease. Don't you think that this defiency in knowledge can make a difference between life and death?

4 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 9:32am On Jun 29, 2014
ACM10:

The catchword there is NITTY-GRITTY. Even Physiotherapists/Nurses/Radiographers do study these courses too, but not in details. Does pharmacy students do practicals with cadaver? I mean dissecting cadaver region by region. It is only Anatomy/MedSurg students that does it.
...and now you're telling me Medical students do pharmacology in details more than the pharmacy students? To your question,No.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Shori(m): 9:33am On Jun 29, 2014
Pennywise:

Its a relation. I went to visit him. I saw 2 others on drip with a young pharmD brandishing stetoscope. What insult.
what an interesting Lie. . .more power to your elbow!
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by naijaking1: 9:40am On Jun 29, 2014
Find Out!:

Kindly produce your source for the bolded. I wonder how people like you consciously type false information and confidently click the submit button, knowing fully well that thousands of people will read what you've posted. Can you please give the name of ONE university (out of the over 4500 institutions in the USA) that offers the B.Pharm degree?

For anyone who's interested in how to become a pharmacist in the US, a simple google search which Mr. Misinformer above appears incapable of doing will produce a link like this http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Pharmacist

@Topic, I wholeheartedly support the conversion, but of course the necessary infrastructure, facilities and curriculum must be in place so that a Pharm.D. degree from Nigeria will be readily considered equal to a Pharm.D. degree obtained anywhere else outside the country.

You're simply too dangerous! How can you boldly lie, and without shame too?. You have never been to the USA, if you did you would have not posted this crap.

The best universities in the US with pharmacy programs have both B. and D pharm. courses.
See for yourself:

http://www.schoolchoices.org/colleges/major/149

Just a snipet:

Top Pharmacy Schools Ranked By US News and World Report
University of California - San Francisco
San Francisco, CA | Total Enrollment: 3517

Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, Master's, Doctor's, First-professional degree, First-professional certificate
The University of North Carolina - Gen Admin
Chapel Hill, NC | Total Enrollment: 0

Degrees Offered: Less than one year, One but less than two years, Associate's, Two but less than 4 years, Bachelor's, Postbaccalaureate certificate, Master's, Post-Masters certificate, Doctor's, First-professional degree
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Minneapolis, MN | Total Enrollment: 45481

Degrees Offered: One but less than two years, Two but less than 4 years, Bachelor's, Postbaccalaureate certificate, Master's, Post-Masters certificate, Doctor's, First-professional degree
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX | Total Enrollment: 49996

Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, Master's, Doctor's, First-professional degree
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Madison, WI | Total Enrollment: 40658

Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, Postbaccalaureate certificate, Master's, Post-Masters certificate, Doctor's, First-professional degree
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY | Total Enrollment: 23114

Degrees Offered: Bachelor's, Postbaccalaureate certificate, Master's, Post-Masters certificate, Doctor's, First-professional degree
Ohio State University - Main Campus
Columbus, OH | Total Enrollment: 47952

Degrees Offered: Associate's, Bachelor's, Postbaccalaureate certificate, Master's, Post-Masters certificate, Doctor's, First-professional degree
Purdue University - Main Campus
West Lafayette, IN | Total Enrollment: 39667

Degrees Offered: Less than one year, Associate's, Bachelor's, Postbaccalaureate certificate, Master's, Doctor's, First-professional degree
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI | Total Enrollment: 38103

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 9:45am On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: I..... I'm stupefied! ''mini clinics''? ''side labs''? ''blood transfusion'' in Nigeria? Do you really have to come up with conjectures just to denigrate the pharmacy profession? Where did the transfusion illegally happened? When did it happen? It's not about the ''Dr'' title thing,but meeting up to international standards!

Either you are coming from the mars or you are willfully ignorant for you to deny 'mini clinics', 'side labs' and 'blood transfusion' malpractices by the pharmacists. Your colleagues in the trade must be laughing at you. I can give you names of pharmacy shops manned by a trained pharmacists where the above malpractice is the order of the day. In Benue state, some pharmacist are even pushing the envelope further by doing some surgical procedures. Denying the obvious makes you appear dishonest.

3 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Pennywise(m): 9:51am On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: what an interesting Lie. . .more power to your elbow!

Okay, may your God help you. This criminal campaign by a band of pharmacists will not see the light of day. What Nigerians demand is an improvement in the quality of pharmacists trained in Nigeria. Stem the rot, incompetence and mediocrity

Let pharmacists be pharmacists and not quasi doctors. Understand pharmacognosy and pharmacology. Know how to dispense and possibly manufacture known formulations. If u want to excel then proceed with research and devt. That is what pharmacists do. Leave drug applications on patients to doctors who are trained for the purpose otherwise go to med school.

4 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ACM10: 9:55am On Jun 29, 2014
Shori: ...and now you're telling me Medical students do pharmacology in details more than the pharmacy students? To your question,No.

Why are you trying to appear clever by latching on one aspect of my comment? Do you think that thorough knowledge of Pharmacology prepares you enough to treat patients? What about Pathology? Can you treat a patient without knowing the pathological basis of the disease? You are picking my points selectively. That's a sign of intellectual weakness.

6 Likes

Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by ige101(m): 9:57am On Jun 29, 2014
More drama yet to unfold,not until the Fed Govt come up with a uniform salary structure for everyone in the health sector,this drama wont cease.What we just read is not unconnected with the discrepancies in salaries of health workers.Let everyone be put on same structure and see if there won't be peace.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 10:03am On Jun 29, 2014
pDude: Gloried medicine sellers grin
sick
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by zeezahbee(f): 10:07am On Jun 29, 2014
ige101: More drama yet to unfold,not until the Fed Govt come up with a uniform salary structure for everyone in the health sector,this drama wont cease.What we just read is not unconnected with the discrepancies in salaries of health workers.Let everyone be put on same structure and see if there won't be peace.
Who's talking about salary? Oooooo you told the whole pharm D issh was about getting a raise in salary, I won't say more to you because you know nothing about what we saying here.
Re: Furore Over Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree In Nigerian Universities. by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 29, 2014
I see nothing wrong in health professionals striving to improve their skills but I always doubt the sincerity of doing so if there a hidding secrete to it.
No nigerian university award " doctor of ............" as first degree except in the case of optometry ( which is a desaster).
The degree " doctor of .......," is ONLY awarded to students who undergo a postgraduate training in form of PhD.
People who study MEDICINE AND SURGERY are awarded MB,BS( bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery) by universities. The title "Dr" is given by their regulatory body.
An additional year doesnt equate to a PhD.
They just want parade themselves as "doctors" in the society and nothing else.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Here Is How Sleeping Late At Night Can Kill Your Career / China To Donate 1,000 Ventilators To Help New York In Coronavirus Fight / Doctors Separate Siamese Twins In Bauchi (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.