Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (482348 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 11:17am On Jun 29, 2014
Kudos to seun for listening to my call through the thread i opened befor calling for the creation of agric section. Am a younger school leaver and would like to go into pig farming, so if u are already in d business or you have an intention lets meet here and rub minds like how to set up and run the business.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by koolsammie(m): 3:21pm On Jun 29, 2014
I do piggery. Started barely a yr though.There are many experienced pig farmers on nairaland. Excelsior, Kayjegs, whatsoever u need to know, ask

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 7:16pm On Jun 29, 2014
koolsammie: I do piggery. Started barely a yr though.There are many experienced pig farmers on nairaland. Excelsior, Kayjegs, whatsoever u need to know, ask
tnx so much. Pls is pig farming profitabl
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by femu(m): 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2014
Keziehenry:

very profitable if you can feed cheap, feed quality, increase litter size and reduce piglet mortality.
learn more on: http://no1pigfan.

11 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 8:20pm On Jun 29, 2014
Keziehenry:

Lol @ ur post. Almost all businesses are profitable really.
Rearing pigs either for the offspring or for sale (or both) is profitable as long as you can keep down your costs relatively.
I said "relatively" because its not just about going for the cheapeast alternatives but rather making informed choices.

13 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by lagbaja(m): 8:29pm On Jun 29, 2014
I am into pig farming. Pig farming is one of the most lucrative arms of animal farming. Pigs are highly prolific, giving birth to an average of 10 piglets per farrow. Typically a pig farrows 2.5 times in a year. So in a year, a pig can give birth to about 25 piglets.

The biggest variable cost component in pig farming is feed cost. It accounts for about 70% of the total cost. Your ability to source your feed in a manner that is most cost effective is your success determinant. Typically, pigs have FCR in the range between 2 and 4 depending on the breed and on the feed formulation. FCR means feed conversion ratio. It is a measure of how much kg of feed an animal will eat to produce 1kg of live weight.

This the is formula I adopt for my pigs (Modified for Amino Acid Balancing)

50% of cassava ( I buy them Fresh, break them into chips, dry and store them)
30% pkc
10% GNC( groundnut meal) or SBM (soyabean meal)
6% blood meal
2.5%. Oyster shell/bone meal/ lime stone
0.25% lysine
0.25% methionine
0.5% salt
0.25% premix
0.03% (3g per 1kg bakers Yeast) ( probiotic)
0.1% H-Plus from Animalcare

The above feed formulation will cost you about N30 per kilo. 1kg of live pig is sold for between N280 and N300. If your pig consumes 3kg of feed to give 1 kg of meat, It means that it will cost you N90 to produce 1kg of live weight. Therefore you make a gross margin of N300 - N90= N210.

The other component of pig farming that is capital intensive is their housing. Pig housing has to be properly planed according to the number of pigs you intend to grow. You need to decide whether you want to do batch (all in all out) or continuos pig production (first in first out).

The biggest pig farm in west Africa is at oke aro , Agege. Another one is at Gberigbe Ikorodu. Accomodation costs at this locations are very high. I will advice you to site your pig pen close to where you can get cheap land and source raw materials at low price. Eg cassava plantations.

Technology application will greatly hep you in your pig farming. Fr example using, pig ni.ppl.es (see picture below) will ensure that you deliver constant and clean water to your pigs , it will also reduce labor requirements. You also need to construct a manure allay within your pig house so that when they poo poo, you can flush it away via the manure allay ( the manure allay is like a gutter).

74 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2014
Lagbaja thanks v much for the free info. God bless u.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 6:28am On Jun 30, 2014
@ lagbaja. 9cely said.
@henry: lagbaja has given an elaborate tutorial. Be careful when it comes to your feed mix; he has recommended bloodmeal. Some people will tell u its too expensive; don't mind them o. Also, don't forget he said u shld dry ur cassava (u really dont need to peel) because of the poisonous acidic content when fresh.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 7:08am On Jun 30, 2014
Which of the breeds of pig should i go for also like how much will a piglet cost.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Adefola(m): 12:06pm On Jun 30, 2014
Thanks to Keziehenry for this thread and thank to Lagbaja for the free info.
I intend starting my own pig farm before the end of the year, pls I need info on how to construct the pen, the breed of pigs to go for and where to get it.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 1:20pm On Jun 30, 2014
ops: @ lagbaja. 9cely said.
@henry: lagbaja has given an elaborate tutorial. Be careful when it comes to your feed mix; he has recommended bloodmeal. Some people will tell u its too expensive; don't mind them o. Also, don't forget he said u shld dry ur cassava (u really dont need to peel) because of the poisonous acidic content when fresh.
Thanks. Piggery is a way to follow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 2:05pm On Jun 30, 2014
@Farmtech: yes, it is.
Keziehenry: Which of the breeds of pig should i go for also like how much will a piglet cost.
@Henry: the breed of pig u should go for depends on what ur target is (ie are u breeding for sale or for offspring). The duroc is generally accepted to b better for meat production while landrace are better mothers. This doesn't mean that some duroc won't have more piglets than landrace sha o.
Each breed has physical attributes distinguishing it (the landrace has floppy ears & longer body while d ears on yorkshire (large white) are erect.) Color also varies.
Price of weaners (usually frm 5-8weeks) is usually frm 3k.depending on breed & who is selling ( I heard Obasanjo farms sells for as much as 30k ). I'd advice you budget like 10k for each weaner sha, for good stock.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 10:18pm On Jun 30, 2014
ops: @Farmtech: yes, it is.

@Henry: the breed of pig u should go for depends on what ur target is (ie are u breeding for sale or for offspring). The duroc is generally accepted to b better for meat production while landrace are better mothers. This doesn't mean that some duroc won't have more piglets than landrace sha o.
Each breed has physical attributes distinguishing it (the landrace has floppy ears & longer body while d ears on duroc & yorkshire (large white) are erect.) Color also varies.
Price of weaners (usually frm 5-8weeks) is usually frm 3k.depending on breed & who is selling ( I heard Obasanjo farms sells for as much as 30k ). I'd advice you budget like 10k for each weaner sha, for good stock.
tnx so much for been so resourceful here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by hormeiza(m): 6:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
Tanks very much @ ops pls give me ur number so I can reach and ask u some question before I start the business God bless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by smithsammy(m): 8:26pm On Jul 01, 2014
Who in the house rears pig at oke-aro piggery village here?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 5:13am On Jul 02, 2014
@hormeiza
In the spirit of learning, I think its best you ask ur questions here 1st, so every1 can benefit. But when d need arises, I'll b sure to give it to u.

12 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 6:06am On Jul 02, 2014
ops: @hormeiza
In the spirit of learning, I think its best you ask ur questions here 1st, so every1 can benefit. But when d need arises, I'll b sure to give it to u.
seconded

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2014
@ Henry. Lol. Relax, hormeiza was just protecting himself against another data loss. wink
On the issue of feeding, an alternative to the use of dry cassava (peels or whole) is the use of spent grain or brewery waste. You can use it as a replacement to cassava in roughly the same ratio as specified above by lagbaja.

5 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2014
Repitition

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by hormeiza(m): 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2014
I am just being inquisitive @ops cause it something new cos I am a novince to the business. Just want to know steps on ao to set it up.any information will be very much appreciated. Thank

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ops(m): 9:47pm On Jul 02, 2014
No prb. We are all here to learn.
What questions do u have so that som1 can answer and every1 benefit?
Some of the issues you should take of are;
1. Location; somewhere you can comfortably rear pigs without people complaining. Also, consider feed source and adequate water.
2. Construction; size of rooms with feed & water throughs. Don't forget waste outlet too.
3. Stock; buying your weaners/ growers
4.Care; Feeding & cleaning of ur pigs. Also, in the beginning you might need the services of a vet for consultancy (or if you have an experienced hand close by u can take advantage of that) till u r comfortable administering d different injections by yourself.
5. Market; this is prbly the most important but its not much of a problem.As of now, the demand for live pigs exceeds the supply so no worries on that count. Just don't forget that the prices are more or less fixed so b cost consious.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by targus: 11:25pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hi Guys, I'm just starting my pig farm on my farm and all the available help will be appreciated, i will be starting with 25 Soars and we are just in the process of completing the construction of the pen.If anybody has any pointer as well on what to look out for ,this will be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by targus: 11:33pm On Jul 02, 2014
Some Pic of the Piggery Pen under construction

5 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by chelseabmw(m): 5:31am On Jul 03, 2014
I will follow up this thread

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by justi4jesu(f): 5:36am On Jul 03, 2014
Niceeee...more grease to your elbows and may all your labour yield fruits smiley

For the records i love pork meat pepper soup with unripe plaintain grin tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by englishmart(m): 5:38am On Jul 03, 2014
What do u farm pig for?
Op are u a tiv man?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by kobonaire(m): 5:56am On Jul 03, 2014
Me likey some oink oink pepper soup
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:57am On Jul 03, 2014
@targus in your construction,guard against this mistake on your farm,pic below

5 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by targus: 6:05am On Jul 03, 2014
@Excelsiorfarm, Thanks for your advise, the picture is not really clear, can you please explain what the mistake is so adequate consideration can be taken to make sure we guard against it. Thanks for your help in advance.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by legba1(m): 6:37am On Jul 03, 2014
targus: @Excelsiorfarm, Thanks for your advise, the picture is not really clear, can you please explain what the mistake is so adequate consideration can be taken to make sure we guard against it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Am sure u can see the sun reflection and d lil shade left for the pig to hide during the day. Lesson: ensure construction is done to face direction away from direct sunlight.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Keziehenry(m): 6:42am On Jul 03, 2014
Waooo i made front page again!

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.