Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,803 members, 7,802,563 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (482023 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 4:05pm On Apr 09, 2017
tayo52:
baba u bought a Camby weaners for 10k? Anyway I hardly comment on this group base on something I notice,what most farmers practice is to buy good animals and fattening there offspring,u don't expect farmers to buy fatteners and start breeding with it,4 to 8k weaners are meant to fatten not for breeding,nobody will sell cheap weaners with good quality for breeding purpose,most farmers dont rili make profit just because there foundational stock is bad,please u need to tour round diff pig farm n see what going on let embrace change,how many pig farmers are riding jeep from the profit of there pig farming? I started late because I make sure I learn d rope very well,most of my weaners cost me ntin less than 15k,i won't have a pig farm that I will start persuading fellow farmer to buy @peanut do we even no how much it cost to produce 1 weaner?u can't get a quality weaner of 10kg + less than 10k,went to oke aro last week saw a gene converter mix boar d owner turn down offer of 190k for d boar,that d reason of owning a quality breeds,the fcr of an exotic n semi exotic n locals are diff so we av in chicken,u cant see an exotic breeders of 2years that will weigh less than 150kg even if is not fatty,no matter how much u spend on a breeder stock is not a loss cos u will make the profit over time,what I hate most is farmers selling slaghter animals as breeders stock,is high time we educate each other,me I don't Av any exotic animals to sell so u might think I wan sell my animals,they are still young n there fcr are good,stilll planning to buy more superior boar if am opportune to see,if u av anything plus or minus kindly state it out will reply wen I visit again when u buy weaners of 4k den please how much is the price of liveweight then,how much is price of pkc corn n soya then? Just make sure u check d price of ur production stock

You went to Okearo and saw?? In Okearo, there is a farmer there who has a mighty boar that is 7years old and weighs over 300kg with no fat; its true but let me shed some light on issues you may not be aware of:

1. Most farmers who drive the jeeps are the ones eating off newbies and oppressing them to eventual frustration through their terrible antics.
2. Google and read up well on the subject of pig rearing. Even whites will tell you the truth that all pigs start and grow the same. Its when they get to a particular age that the exotic breeds start to shoot up faster. I have asked that why wait for more months when you can sell off your animals, make money and walk away??
3. I have visited farms bro, farms with updated biosecurity They sold in-sow to somebody for 65k but that exotic pig gave birth to 4 piglets. Mine average 9 and they are not exotic, so why waste my time??
4. Its criminal and wicked to sell weaners for 12k not to talk of the ridiculous amounts people quote around. My mom visited Songhai last year and got their contact number. Are you aware that they have a farm in Nigeria?? As at late last year, a whole Songhai had Camborough weaners of the purest breed for guess how much........ 8k. So what are you saying??
5. Before your pig can weigh those ridiculous weights you are dropping, how old are they, be sincere?? The man who has an over 300kg pig has kept tht animal for over 6 years. I went there with a fellow nairalander in February and they use those big old animals to scam people to buy fake weaners at exorbitant costs.
6. Aside our Camborough, we have another boar, a landrace that we acquired for 4,500 then when weaners were 3000. Its first crossing produced 9 piglets. Isnt that one of the aims of exotic breeds?? If my local female can give me 12 and an expensive exotic gives me 10, why waste my time?? Why not continue crossbreeding till i get a perfect lineage?? If you buy an animal for 15k and fatten, how much will you sell?? At least i have dropped a guideline of the costs it will take to bring them up to maturity....... Its a business and once its profitable, remove sentiments and do the right thing.

5 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 4:13pm On Apr 09, 2017
tayo52:
baba nice calculation but now well detailed u can manage to gain 10k with ur calculation so u are making 10k multiply by 30 animals that 300k den divided by 8months that 37k per month do u fink the profit worth it,can it feed a bachelor not to talk of married man,can it even maintain a car? And u made mention of of pocketing the 4500 if u start producing,do u even no the cost of producing each weaners in your farm?

Quick question: Did the fellow who made 300k in 8 months make a profit or not?? Invest that capital in fixed deposit for 8 months and come back to tell me how much interest you got.
You have just outlined the main issue with pig rearing: the pursuit for a quick buck which eventually burns the person.
We are here to learn and i for one wont quote bogus figures and weights just to make people swoon and start signing cheque leaves.
I have been in this business for long enough to know all d antics and i play in every aspect from birth to slaughter so i speak facts not what my friend did or said

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 4:16pm On Apr 09, 2017
dynamix101:

You went to Okearo and saw?? In Okearo, there is a farmer there who has a mighty boar that is 7years old and weighs over 300kg with no fat; its true but let me shed some light on issues you may not be aware of:

1. Most farmers who drive the jeeps are the ones eating off newbies and oppressing them to eventual frustration through their terrible antics.
2. Google and read up well on the subject of pig rearing. Even whites will tell you the truth that all pigs start and grow the same. Its when they get to a particular age that the exotic breeds start to shoot up faster. I have asked that why wait for more months when you can sell off your animals, make money and walk away??
3. I have visited farms bro, farms with updated biosecurity They sold in-sow to somebody for 65k but that exotic pig gave birth to 4 piglets. Mine average 9 and they are not exotic, so why waste my time??
4. Its criminal and wicked to sell weaners for 12k not to talk of the ridiculous amounts people quote around. My mom visited Songhai last year and got their contact number. Are you aware that they have a farm in Nigeria?? As at late last year, a whole Songhai had Camborough weaners of the purest breed for guess how much........ 8k. So what are you saying??
5. Before your pig can weigh those ridiculous weights you are dropping, how old are they, be sincere?? The man who has an over 300kg pig has kept tht animal for over 6 years. I went there with a fellow nairalander in February and they use those big old animals to scam people to buy fake weaners at exorbitant costs.
6. Aside our Camborough, we have another boar, a landrace that we acquired for 4,500 then when weaners were 3000. Its first crossing produced 9 piglets. Isnt that one of the aims of exotic breeds?? If my local female can give me 12 and an expensive exotic gives me 10, why waste my time?? Why not continue crossbreeding till i get a perfect lineage?? If you buy an animal for 15k and fatten, how much will you sell?? At least i have dropped a guideline of the costs it will take to bring them up to maturity....... Its a business and once its profitable, remove sentiments and do the right thing.
baba u Dan dey mix the argument up oooo,i said 4k to 8k weaners are meant for fattening 15k weaners with quality spec u can't get it lesser oooo,av never mention of fattening 15k weaners oooo,i av sum1 that his boar weigh 90kg in 6months 9days av advice him to reduce d feeds because it a breeder not a fattener boar,same oyinbo pipu that come with a Camby breed for them to use as slaughter animals,were by there slaughter pigs over there is beta than our own breeders stocks,there animals have a good fcr,pls don't let us compare the way they do things with our own,buying ingilt na black market na,cos most do use the parent stock to cross there offspring or they fatten up the gilt once it on 1st heat they cross it just to make money so what do u expects,some farms don't care about there name all they are after is profit
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 4:19pm On Apr 09, 2017
tayo52:
baba u are getting it twisted if an animal weigh 105kg in 10months they have the tendency of weighing over 200kg in 2years,i guess u are also a farmer,you don't fattened your breeder stock,u give them maintenance ratio so they won't be too fatty,if his to fatten it trust me it will gain 300kg or more,it even weigh 100kg+ just because of the pregnancy,anyway we are just here to learn from each other if u av any more questions kindly post it here b4 I leave,so when breeding ur parent stock you don't fatten then check my stock dey are not fatty or lean,so they are differences BTW fatteners n breeders

What is the thrust of your argument?? That people buy exotic animals abi??

Ok let me amend: buy exotic breeds but not for fattening, because it makes no economic sense. Why should i keep my animal for 2 years when in that period i can sell off animals twice and have another set in my pen?? Also when buying exotic weaners, dont pay more than 10k for them because it also does not make any sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 4:23pm On Apr 09, 2017
G
dynamix101:

Quick question: Did the fellow who made 300k in 8 months make a profit or not?? Invest that capital in fixed deposit for 8 months and come back to tell me how much interest you got.
You have just outlined the main issue with pig rearing: the pursuit for a quick buck which eventually burns the person.
We are here to learn and i for one wont quote bogus figures and weights just to make people swoon and start signing cheque leaves.
I have been in this business for long enough to know all d antics and i play in every aspect from birth to slaughter so i speak facts not what my friend did or said
guess av answered that,anyway av drop my point for those that needed it just want to tell u buying a weaner of 15 to 20k is not a waste depending on what u intend to use it for,anyway I rest my case here

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 4:26pm On Apr 09, 2017
tayo52:
Gguess av answered that,anyway av drop my point for those that needed it just want to tell u buying a weaner of 15 to 20k is not a waste depending on what u intend to use it for,anyway I rest my case here

Ok
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by tayo52: 4:26pm On Apr 09, 2017
dynamix101:

What is the thrust of your argument?? That people buy exotic animals abi??

Ok let me amend: buy exotic breeds but not for fattening, because it makes no economic sense. Why should i keep my animal for 2 years when in that period i can sell off animals twice and have another set in my pen?? Also when buying exotic weaners, dont pay more than 10k for them because it also does not make any sense.
baba can't dictate 4u u can buy ur breeders stock any amount so far it for breeding not for fattening profit is guaranteed will stop here so we won't prolong matters
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Kowemonday(m): 7:07pm On Apr 09, 2017
@ all God you guys. As you are all happy helping others to grow, i pray, On the day of the watchmen, may you guys never be found wanting. God Bless us all!!!
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by atolagbeolaleka: 7:50pm On Apr 09, 2017
methionine or lysine which cn I do without pls
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 7:56pm On Apr 09, 2017
atolagbeolaleka:
methionine or lysine which cn I do without pls

You need them both for a complete compound
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by atolagbeolaleka: 10:07pm On Apr 09, 2017
ejimikeokwu:

does it mean no pig farmer from Benue in this forum, please help a sister
u can get @ ikom @ cross river,that were I do get my since it no more @ gboko...

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vicky3(m): 12:13am On Apr 10, 2017
Please can someone send me the cost of 15 piglets 3 sows and 2 boars to my mail in an official way donvee4glory@yahoo.com serious business abeg my farm is located in oke odan
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by FashPet(m): 4:10am On Apr 10, 2017
dynamix101:

People just need to understand the business aspect of piggery instead of breeding. You can still ride jeep easily if someone can add up business knowledge with the farming knowledge. Tayo is a good farmer but needs more business orientation. I won't say more than that for now.
God bless the farmers.

3 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by atolagbeolaleka: 5:25am On Apr 10, 2017
dynamix101:

You need them both for a complete compound
ok thanks @ dynamix101....pls @ what price can I get the 2..methonie nd lysine..
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by snowpe(m): 7:49am On Apr 10, 2017
ejimikeokwu:

does it mean no pig farmer from Benue in this forum, please help a sister
u can get enough pkc and spent grain from Obollo. that's where I get mine from and my farm is at Benue.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by atolagbeolaleka: 9:18am On Apr 10, 2017
snowpe:
u can get enough pkc and spent grain from Obollo. that's where I get mine from and my farm is at Benue.
obollowere is that pls,can u giv me the person contact
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by atolagbeolaleka: 9:36am On Apr 10, 2017
snowpe:
@snowpe pls answer me,i need it so very much pls am @ benue 2..
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 9:55am On Apr 10, 2017
atolagbeolaleka:
ok thanks @ dynamix101....pls @ what price can I get the 2..methonie nd lysine..

Truthfully i cant correctly tell you cos the amount you need is dictated by the volume if your compounding. The person who does my compounding knows wat grammage to add once i tell him the volume of feed i am compounding
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Jideams(m): 12:20pm On Apr 12, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have been reading your articles with great interest and need to join in the conversation. Really, raising pigs to sell as additional income and farming pigs as a business are two different things entirely. Please note, I am not a practicing farmer but presently putting together a feasibility report on what it takes to successfully farm pigs as my soul source of income. I would appreciate your contribution as I evaluate pig farming with a GO or no GO decision.

These are my goals for the first year, my inability to meet these goals or successfully project the actualisation of these goals means a NO GO for me. In this business, you need to work back to front (meaning starting from the goal and working your way back). These are my goals at the end of the first year.

1. To attain 75 - 80 kg weight in 6 months.
2. To sell 100 pigs on monthly basis starting 12months from the start of production.
3. To establish the farm on not more than 1-acre land (6 plots)
4. To attain a turnover of 3.6million on monthly basis (80 *100*450) 3.6M.
5. To archive a profit of approximately 40% (1.5M)on monthly basis.
6. Attain a stock capacity of 760 pigs at the end of the year with a sale of 100 pigs every month there after.

Looking at the table below, I would have attained 760 pigs by the end of the year and start selling 100 every month by the following month.

To achieve these goals, pig farming must be run as a business and the following factors need to be considered from the beginning.

1. Breed
2. Feed formulation and alternative cost of feed ingredients.

Question.

Please does anyone have a capacity of 1000 pigs, in a well-organized layout with good record keeping? Please let me know if you do as I have a lot to learn from you. Please I would not hesitate to pay for your time spent.

Also find attached my analysis with commnets

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 1:04pm On Apr 12, 2017
Jideams:
Hi Guys,

I have been reading your articles with great interest and need to join in the conversation. Really, raising pigs to sell as additional income and farming pigs as a business are two different things entirely. Please note, I am not a practicing farmer but presently putting together a feasibility report on what it takes to successfully farm pigs as my soul source of income. I would appreciate your contribution as I evaluate pig farming with a GO or no GO decision.

These are my goals for the first year, my inability to meet these goals or successfully project the actualisation of these goals means a NO GO for me. In this business, you need to work back to front (meaning starting from the goal and working your way back). These are my goals at the end of the first year.

1. To attain 75 - 80 kg weight in 6 months.
2. To sell 100 pigs on monthly basis starting 12months from the start of production.
3. To establish the farm on not more than 1-acre land (6 plots)
4. To attain a turnover of 3.6million on monthly basis (80 *100*450) 3.6M.
5. To archive a profit of approximately 40% (1.5M)on monthly basis.
6. Attain a stock capacity of 760 pigs at the end of the year with a sale of 100 pigs every month there after.

Looking at the table below, I would have attained 760 pigs by the end of the year and start selling 100 every month by the following month.

To achieve these goals, pig farming must be run as a business and the following factors need to be considered from the beginning.

1. Breed
2. Feed formulation and alternative cost of feed ingredients.

Question.

Please does anyone have a capacity of 1000 pigs, in a well-organized layout with good record keeping? Please let me know if you do as I have a lot to learn from you. Please I would not hesitate to pay for your time spent.

Also find attached my analysis with commnets

The most important question i will ask is: How much do you have to invest in the business??
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by SinaAkinsanya: 3:21pm On Apr 12, 2017
Jideam,

Your goals are achievable in about may be 2 years provided you have the funds and the experience or people with experience. We presently have about 600 animals on our farm and we started over 3 years ago. Yet to breakeven, but that should start to happen in couple of months when we should be in a position to increase our monthly sales from about 30 to about 60 @ average weight of 75. There are too many challenges you wil face along the line. Our operating cost/pig /month is over N3000. You need to buy good breeding stocks and they are not cheap. Over the years, we have invested about N35 m. We have capacity to house about 1000 animals at the moment. We have 8 staff including agric university grad. Having said all these, key is start small, learn and grow. Might take a few years for you to start seeing profit.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 3:51pm On Apr 12, 2017
SinaAkinsanya:
Jideam,

Your goals are achievable in about may be 2 years provided you have the funds and the experience or people with experience. We presently have about 600 animals on our farm and we started over 3 years ago. Yet to breakeven, but that should start to happen in couple of months when we should be in a position to increase our monthly sales from about 30 to about 60 @ average weight of 75. There are too many challenges you wil face along the line. Our operating cost/pig /month is over N3000. You need to buy good breeding stocks and they are not cheap. Over the years, we have invested about N35 m. We have capacity to house about 1000 animals at the moment. We have 8 staff including agric university grad. Having said all these, key is start small, learn and grow. Might take a few years for you to start seeing profit.

3000 per month seems to be very high overheads; my thoughts because with your number of staff, the number of pigs should be enough to diffuse their salaries to a manageable minimum. I hope you breakeven soon though i feel u should have @ month 24.
Also try backward integration. If you can control ur corn and cassava production, you will cut down your feed costs drastically especially if the corn yields are exceptional.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Jideams(m): 4:38pm On Apr 12, 2017
dynamix101:

The most important question i will ask is: How much do you have to invest in the business??

@dynamix101,

Really, I am particular of my operating cost. Outside of the cost of buying the stock and the structure, my Plan is to inject 500k every month for the next year. Based on my calculation my feeding cost will rise and progress will progress as follows. Please see below. Monthly cost in green and cumulative cost in yellow. Meaning I need approximately 6million investment excluding structures. This will consist of feeding, buying, Labour, I have inlucde the various feeding requirements at different stages (piglet, weaners, growers dry sow, lactating sow, Boar).

The plan is to inject 500k every month on operating cost and this will grow to 1 million at the 12th month. Is this a feasible estimate?

The values in green at the cost per month, while the values in yellow are the cumulative cost.

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by SinaAkinsanya: 7:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
Sorry guys, i should clarify a few things. Overall, we make profit on a per animal basis. For example it cost say 20000 to get an to 80kg and you sell that animal for 35000. Our challenge is that our monthly revenue of about 1.3m since Jan does not cover the monthly cost of raising about 600 animals. The big market is in selling for meat and not weaners/growers. Hopefully our sales will double in the next few months and we are also able to reduce some of our operating cost. For example, we rely entirely on generator to power the farm.

Feed is the killer and we are trying backward integration and currently looking into building a feed mill. For example, we have started harvesting the cassava we planted. The challenge is all that will go in about 2 months given our size.

To get to a position where one can sell 100 pigs in a month in about a year starting from scratch is a tall order that requires good capital and solid nanagemnet bearing in mind that you may not be able to sell many weaners and growers at commensurate prices.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Jideams(m): 3:25pm On Apr 13, 2017
[quote author=SinaAkinsanya post=55513962]Sorry guys, i should clarify a few things. Overall, we make profit on a per animal basis. For example it cost say 20000 to get an to 80kg and you sell that animal for 35000. Our challenge is that our monthly revenue of about 1.3m since Jan does not cover the monthly cost of raising about 600 animals. The big market is in selling for meat and not weaners/growers. Hopefully our sales will double in the next few months and we are also able to reduce some of our operating cost. For example, we rely entirely on generator to power the farm.

Feed is the killer and we are trying backward integration and currently looking into building a feed mill. For example, we have started harvesting the cassava we planted. The challenge is all that will go in about 2 months given our size.

To get to a position where one can sell 100 pigs in a month in about a year starting from scratch is a tall order that requires good capital and solid nanagemnet bearing in mind that you may not be able to sell many weaners and rowers at cgommensurate prices.

Thanks for your update, my question really based on your experience is whether 500k/month would be enough to feed 500 adult pigs in a month. If i can answer this question correctly then i am convinced it is do able. You must have the following in order to archieve this.

1. Clearly defined forecast on weekly and Monthly baisis.
2. Clearly defined Matting plan, when, how and how to stimulate heat.
3. Clearly defined feeding regime and cost evaluation. You must clearly know in advance your feeding cost and stock 4 weeks in advance.
4. The attachement in my previous post clearly defines how many animals I must have each week/month to meet the target. If it is doable on paper, the I believe I should be able to achieve 75% of my target in the first year and then fully archieve 150% by the end of the second year.

For me, this is serious business, I have been to a number of farms and believe me, it is a joke. They hygiene level is nothing to write home about. I have also been to some farms whereby i could sit in the farm and actually eat, they wash their annimal twice a day. Ok I will send you some great pictures.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
[quote author=Jideams post=55537850][/quote]

To feed 500 animals requires around 300k monthly.

As to your other requirements and questions, you need a detailed practical business plan and a hand holding from when you start till when you start making profits.

U can whatsapp me lets talk
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by SinaAkinsanya: 2:50am On Apr 14, 2017
Though I am still learning and open to ideas from others, i have learnt a few things in the 3 years or so that i have been involved. 300k is not likely to feed 500 animals in a month except they are all weaners which is even doubtful. I recall the target is to get the animals to about 70 kg in about 6 months. That requires quality feed and animals. These days maize is about 145/kg, brewery waste 25/kg soy bean 150/kg, pkc 45/kg; cassava cake 100/kg, gnc 135/kg; wheat offal 2900/50 kg. There are additional cost for pre mix ; lysine, methione, drugs etc. Perhaps some of us have been paying too much for these ingredients. From experience, not to use those ingredients is to slow down the growth rate of even the purest lines. We started with concorted breeds and fed them with mostly pkc and brewery waste and got about 60-70 at best in 1 year. We introduced good lines of LR. Again fed them mostly with pkc and brewery waste and got at least 100 kg in one year. We introduced maize, soy bean etc and the growth rates of all our breed, concorted and pure lines improved dramatically. We are hoping to get 80-90 kg in about 7-8 months without the animals building up too much fats. Most of our pure lines reached the target in about 8 months even though we really did not start feeding them well until january this year. The pure line are intended for breeding and sale to others as breeding stock.

That has been our personal experience. Open to ideas particularly on where and how we can source cheap ingredients. Our experience on pure lines vs concorted breed is that pure lines will almost double concorted breeds in weight in about one year.

3 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Jideams(m): 6:16am On Apr 14, 2017
dynamix101:

To feed 500 animals requires around 300k monthly.

As to your other requirements and questions, you need a detailed practical business plan and a hand holding from when you start till when you start making profits.

U can whatsapp me lets talk

Thanks for your response on this and do appreciate the comments from SinaAkinsanya as well. 300k would average my feeding cost at N600 mothly , not sure how close this is to reality. My costing was estimated as follows

Dry 4500/month
lactating sow 6000/month
weaners 750/month
Growers 1125/Month

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 2:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
Jideams:

Thanks for your response on this and do appreciate the comments from SinaAkinsanya as well. 300k would average my feeding cost at N600 mothly , not sure how close this is to reality. My costing was estimated as follows

Dry 4500/month
lactating sow 6000/month
weaners 750/month
Growers 1125/Month

What does your growth and weight estimate come up to if you feed your animals that much for 10 months?? It means you cannot feed your growers on 500k and as they grow older, you spend more
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by dynamix101(m): 2:14pm On Apr 14, 2017
SinaAkinsanya:
Though I am still learning and open to ideas from others, i have learnt a few things in the 3 years or so that i have been involved. 300k is not likely to feed 500 animals in a month except they are all weaners which is even doubtful. I recall the target is to get the animals to about 70 kg in about 6 months. That requires quality feed and animals. These days maize is about 145/kg, brewery waste 25/kg soy bean 150/kg, pkc 45/kg; cassava cake 100/kg, gnc 135/kg; wheat offal 2900/50 kg. There are additional cost for pre mix ; lysine, methione, drugs etc. Perhaps some of us have been paying too much for these ingredients. From experience, not to use those ingredients is to slow down the growth rate of even the purest lines. We started with concorted breeds and fed them with mostly pkc and brewery waste and got about 60-70 at best in 1 year. We introduced good lines of LR. Again fed them mostly with pkc and brewery waste and got at least 100 kg in one year. We introduced maize, soy bean etc and the growth rates of all our breed, concorted and pure lines improved dramatically. We are hoping to get 80-90 kg in about 7-8 months without the animals building up too much fats. Most of our pure lines reached the target in about 8 months even though we really did not start feeding them well until january this year. The pure line are intended for breeding and sale to others as breeding stock.

That has been our personal experience. Open to ideas particularly on where and how we can source cheap ingredients. Our experience on pure lines vs concorted breed is that pure lines will almost double concorted breeds in weight in about one year.

What is your feeding cost per animal?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by money4god: 10:08pm On Apr 14, 2017
SinaAkinsanya:

please where do you get cassava cake at 100 per kg ? in fact, where do you even get the cassava cake?

1 Like

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Jideams(m): 12:57pm On Apr 15, 2017
dynamix101:

What does your growth and weight estimate come up to if you feed your animals that much for 10 months?? It means you cannot feed your growers on 500k and as they grow older, you spend more

Exactly, the animals cannot be fed on 500k/month as they grow older. The attachment are as follows

Total pigs in the house - Shows the number of pigs in the house each month starting from 10 in January to 760 in Dec at different stages of growth.
Feeding cost per month - shows the feeding cost per month based on 3600 Naira for a Matured dry sow.
Running feeding cost - Shows the cumulative cost a the until the end of the year.

So in January, I will be spending 36,000 Naira to raise 10 adult pigs, while in December I will spend 1.160Million Naira on feed for 760 Pigs.
For the year, I will need 6Million naira on feeding alone. But by the time i start selling 100 pigs a month in month 13th (second year) I will have
a turn over of 3.5million a month with total extimated cose of not more than 2 million.

In addition,I do not plan to fatten any pig for more than 7months. My Target weight is 75 - 80 in 7months

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.