Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here - Agriculture (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here (482058 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / Kaduna State Farmers Lets Meet Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by pword: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2017
pls add me to ur whatsapp group 08037143119
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by overdrive(m): 8:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
add me 080.35899715
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by AmazingSolutnz(m): 12:47am On Jul 20, 2017
salami2008:

I want to confirm to you that it is very possible to achieve 80kg live weight in just 7 months from birth.It is a function of the the breed, feed, feeding pattern and management. On my farm my animals attain 60kg at 5 months due to quality balanced feed and management. The problem with many fellow farmers is that we always believe pig can convert any feed or eat anything provided . Lets have it at the back of our mind that it is garbage in garbage out. If you feed your pig quality balanced feed not quantity you will see good result provided all other factors mentioned above are constant. At present the cost of my weaners feed is N100/Kg many farmers believe such cost is too expensive but i tell you i feed only based on normal body requirement and my pigs convert it very well and attain result within a short period of time. Its not a magic come and see it for yourself, give me a call if your location is Lagos.
Salami Kayode 08038302646
nokas4u@yahoo.com

I've got some questions for you based on your post above:
1. Breed- What breed do you have-which one do you prefer?
2. Feed- what do you feed them with?
3. Feeding Pattern - which feeding pattern do you use?

Clarifying these will help a lot more new comers to relate with the guidance you are trying to provide.
...just my thoughts.

3 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by doctorgyna(m): 8:19pm On Jul 20, 2017
Pls add me... 07033881995
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vicky3(m): 12:50am On Jul 21, 2017
08115372344 add me
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by salami2008(m): 1:19am On Jul 21, 2017
AmazingSolutnz:

I've got some questions for you based on your post above:
1. Breed- What breed do you have-which one do you prefer?
2. Feed- what do you feed them with?
3. Feeding Pattern - which feeding pattern do you use?

Clarifying these will help a lot more new comers to relate with the guidance you are trying to provide.
...just my thoughts.
In response to your questions, i will try to provide brief answers because its so wide and not cast in black and white.
1. Breed- I have cross breed Large White, Camborough and Hampshire on my farm. I don't have a specific breed as my favorite because many farmers capitalised on peoples' choice to exploit other farmers so as to sell what they have as exotic breeds but i will never advice any new farmer to start with local breeds because its a waste of time and resources on the long run. Many farmers will tell you they have pure breeds on their farm and they can't attain 60kg of live weight from birth at 5 months, so of what use is the pure breed without result but will deceive other farmers that they sell only weaners and doesn't fatten.
2. Feed- i feed my animals with compounded feed that contains pig body requirement in terms of balanced feed. My feed contains Maize,Soya meal,wheat offal, Cashew meal, Pkc and other additives in proportion to the age of the pigs.
3. Feeding Pattern - My animals are being feed twice a day- morning and afternoon with good clean water as priority.
My advice to new farmers out their is that piggery is not all about getting pure breed alone its beyond that because if you get pure breed and didn't feed them quality feed you can't get any meaningful result even other farmers with not too good breed will outshine you in terms of weight gain and FCR. Please lets all ensure will improve on the quality of the breeds on our farms and feed them quality feed at all time to achieve our set goals and objectives.

Salami Kayode
nokas4u@yahoo.com

3 Likes

Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by opemileniyan: 6:35am On Jul 21, 2017
Goodday Brother's and Sister's Pls if anyone has a format for piggery/livestock farming business plan, help a brother by sending it to olatoyegbenga@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Murryweb(m): 10:41pm On Jul 21, 2017
add me 08028050004
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by higherpower: 1:45am On Jul 22, 2017
ops:

Lol @ ur post. Almost all businesses are profitable really.
Rearing pigs either for the offspring or for sale (or both) is profitable as long as you can keep down your costs relatively.
I said "relatively" because its not just about going for the cheapeast alternatives but rather making informed choices.

Please what are the informed choices of feeds apart from wheat n kernel cake? Wheat now is #3500 n kernel #2000 in my area. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by higherpower: 2:14am On Jul 22, 2017
samtextop:

Pls check the link again, I can't join thru it.
Please if you finally confirmed the link, let me know so I can join. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by higherpower: 2:56am On Jul 22, 2017
MhissIfe:
I agree with you, with proper feeding, 50-65 kg within 6-7 months.

Sometimes what is difficult for one person might be easier for another person.

Consequently, the gestation period of pig is always 113-115 days, which is almost 4 months before the nursing period.

Also, 8 months is too much to reach market size for a well fed pig. Though market size varies.

Good market sizes for pigs starts from 50kg upwards

Please would like a private conversation on how to reduce feeds cost. Am using purely wheat n kernel sludge. Both #5500. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by sunboluwaji(m): 9:55am On Jul 22, 2017
Pls add me to pig wazzap group 08035774057
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by sunboluwaji(m): 10:11am On Jul 22, 2017
Pls I need about to mate in AKURE as urgent as you can get by the end of this month May. Pls wazzap me... 08035774057
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by sunboluwaji(m): 10:13am On Jul 22, 2017
Pls I need about to mate in AKURE as urgent as you can get by the end of the month AUGUST . Pls wazzap me... 08035774057
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by money4god: 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2017
higherpower:

Please would like a private conversation on how to reduce feeds cost. Am using purely wheat n kernel sludge. Both #5500. Thanks

Hi, where are you located, and where do you get palm kernel sludge?
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by higherpower: 7:18pm On Jul 22, 2017
money4god:

Hi, where are you located, and where do you get palm kernel sludge?
Am in Uyo..its PKC
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vickifeanyi47(m): 8:22am On Jul 23, 2017
higherpower:

Am in Uyo..its PKC
Palm kernel sludge is different from P.K.C o
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by higherpower: 12:30pm On Jul 23, 2017
vickifeanyi47:

Palm kernel sludge is different from P.K.C o
Yeah, I found out. So what are your other sources of feeds? We can talk on whatsap, 08037890322. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Christeety: 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2017
I have cassava peels for sale
Location is at Ijebu Ode
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Elvistip: 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2017
join our whatsapp group here
https:///0ZyJ7djfLwM54c3wrPaQmo or chat me up on 09039256210 put chat. whatsapp. com before the code
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by osomegbe(m): 8:12pm On Jul 23, 2017
Any body with large white special breed.
Weaner or grower. females and males.
Also about to cross.
And how much is it.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by osomegbe(m): 6:08am On Jul 24, 2017
Please add me to whatsapp group
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by osomegbe(m): 5:20pm On Jul 25, 2017
Any body with large white special breed.
Weaner or grower. females and males.
Also about to cross.
And how much is it.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vickifeanyi47(m): 9:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
higherpower:

Yeah, I found out. So what are your other sources of feeds? We can talk on whatsap, 08037890322. Thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by godtime7735(m): 9:01am On Jul 26, 2017
dejia:
Hi farmers,

I have taken time to read almost all the post, i have learnt alot , we hope to learn more from each other

Am a pig farmer in ilorin.. Yes, ilorin ; our farm is 2years old , we have about a 30 sow production,
with a capacity of about 70 sow unit.( still growing)

We only use A.I from PIC in SA ,to cross the breed we got from Obasanjo, we dont even have a boar on the farm.

We decided to go this route, when we noticed we bought some piglets from a farm when we started 2years ago, immediately they got to about 45kg

they simply stopped growing, even when we feed them with soyabeans and maize, the best we got was 48kg. We eventually sold them losing

money;
I took time to research and did a training in piggery training in SA from a farm that has 6,000 sow unit, and discovered it might be inbreeding problem;
In SA, at 7months weigh about 135kg averagely while a 7months old pig in Nigeria weigh about 45kg,
what we are trying to do is to bridge the gap and have atleast 80kg within 7months,

i know alot of expert here will argue that breed isnt the only reason, for the weight diff.. i also

agree but it is one of the biggest factors.

but if you are able to achieve 80kg in 7months, you wont mind to feed maize and soyabeans, eventhough they are expensive ( we dont feed that)

We inseminated my first set of sow Sept last year, and they littered early this year, some gave us as high as 19 piglets, in SA, any litter less than 14 isnt accepted for A.I, something must have gone wrong in the process

Our third set of A.I litter has started littering since last week, and we hope to wean them after 40days, and re-inseminate

10days after than. We synchronise our sow, so we inseminate them in batches

From my experience, A.I is the way to go ( some farmers might not agree), foreign breed is necessary to prevent inbreeding . We intend to re-inseminate our first batch end of August, as they will be about 80kg and ready to be served. with that, we hope to get a pure PIC breed by Jan,2015. We are still experimenting and researching, but we are happy with the result so far.

We are a breeders farm, majorly looking at serving those who want to go into piggery, Our pigs dont come cheap, because of

the cost associated with bringing in A.I into the country; but i can tell you, its worth it.

Also, let me also advice, farrowing crate is a must.

Liquid feeding is also the best way, mix your feed with water before giving it to the pigs, we mix our water with

multi-vitamins and then mix it with the feed. We also use a growth promoter instead of broiler premix

I also read post about nipples, well we have been using nipples for 2years, a sow requires about 20liters of water

when lactating, how do you serve her that? Also i noticed alot of people give there pigs dirty water; it is totally wrong

from trainning, the farmer must be able to drink the water the pig drinks, so ensure you supply clean water.

Am openned to help any new farmer, who wants to learn from my 2years experience.

Thanks for this information sir....though am living in Ghana and I have plan to come back to Nigeria to start poultry things but I don't know where to start and how to do it
and I prefer to start with 1000birds and goat.....and ram.....am also interested in pig poultry too but it seem like much problem will be inside that one.....and can 1million naira finish everything thanks
please you can add me on whatsapp Because am not always here +233238367526......thanks
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by Arooroebenezer: 9:26am On Jul 26, 2017
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by olaolaking: 11:28am On Jul 26, 2017
I just join the thread. I will have to read through the thread before commenting. I meet una well o
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by donnie(m): 12:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
Please who can recommend a diet for lactating sow And piglets that have just been weaned? We have tried all sorts of feed and the sows still look skinny.

Boss I insists That piglets remains with sow until two months but it appears they're sucking the sows dry.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by ifyain: 10:15am On Jul 27, 2017
I have read all these write up and can believe all the people here are saying, piggery is not all that a profitable business. I am into it now for three years and can not even break even. the cost is very high. I buy spent grain at 65K, PKC,45K, petrol,20k, salary 30k,others 20k that is 180k for a month. I have about 60 pigs in my farm. AS you can see the maths does not add up. I will need to sell at least 10 pigs every month at 30k each total 300k to make profit. the piglet mortality is very high in piggery and these guys here will not tell about it. I regret going into it. It is almost impossible to get quality workers that knows anything about piggery in Nigeria. If YOU are struggling and need to survive then piggery might be for you but if you are an investor I will advice to you to be very careful so you do not waste your funds like me.
Re: Pig Farmers Lets Meet Here by vickifeanyi47(m): 9:31pm On Jul 27, 2017
ifyain:
I have read all these write up and can believe all the people here are saying, piggery is not all that a profitable business. I am into it now for three years and can not even break even. the cost is very high. I buy spent grain at 65K, PKC,45K, petrol,20k, salary 30k,others 20k that is 180k for a month. I have about 60 pigs in my farm. AS you can see the maths does not add up. I will need to sell at least 10 pigs every month at 30k each total 300k to make profit. the piglet mortality is very high in piggery and these guys here will not tell about it. I regret going into it. It is almost impossible to get quality workers that knows anything about piggery in Nigeria. If YOU are struggling and need to survive then piggery might be for you but if you are an investor I will advice to you to be very careful so you do not waste your funds like me.
His many pigs did you start with at first? I bet 60 pigs won't take a full lorry load of spent grain in a month if that how you buy Which means you feed them more than the required ration per day. Piglets mortality occurs if not well handled .many factors contribute to that. Hygiene, breed, medication routine.

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (122) (Reply)

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.