Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! (52694 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos / US Embassy's Conditions For Baby Delivery In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by ReneeNuttall(f): 10:56am On Jul 01, 2014
Nice ideas @ op.me likey

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by DrTee1(m): 11:00am On Jul 01, 2014
SirAweezy: I remembered vividly, it was year 2006 when I applied to further my studies...

After series of questions and supported evidences... The VO relaxed and glanced at me for over 3minutes. Then came forward and said:

"You are qualified for this Visa, but I'm sorry I don't know why I can't give you"

I was like wow! Speechless! She just pushed my PP back to me.

Also remembered a VO (on window 6). She was just dashing out Visas.

VO: Hi, how are you

Applicant: I'm Good thank you

VO: today is my birthday, wish me happy birthday

Applicant: Happy birthday.. Blah blah

VO: oh you going to Miami... (Push the blue card to you) come back for your visa in 2days. Byeee,

Mehn... See my 9ja people omo.. People just one get by force luck enter Window 6 o. If the Windon 2 VO says Next.. See people wey don dey ur front go dey play nice: offering you to go before them. Lol.

But America is just another place.. (Over-rated though) ..if you are lazy, you are lazy! (You won't survive either).

You got me laughing so so hard!!!

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 01, 2014
lagtech: I was at the US Embassy in Lagos whilst on a visit to Nigeria recently. Whilst waiting for my appointment-I watched as people were attended to:
Visiting Visas
Work Visas
Immigration Visas

For some it was joy, for others it was unbelievable sorrow. I saw grown men weeping and begging and people celebrating for joy. I noticed the many mistakes people made at the embassy. The way the interview hall is designed -there is little privacy-as you can see and hear what people say to their interviewers.

Case 1: A lady claiming to be a civil servant with the Lagos State Government was asked repeatedly her income and job specification. From what I could gather-this woman was a cleaner/sweeper with the LASG -but had a good side business. But knowing that her salary as a civil servant couldn't possibly foot her travel bills-she kept on avoiding a straight answer to the question. After the initial answer of "I am a sweeper" she kept on trying to explain that she had a side business and was a business woman -even though the interviewer had not asked here anything concerning this. She was denied.
Lesson: Answer the questions you are asked. Be precise to the point. The interviewer would likely have asked here later on how she intended to foot the travel bill with her salary. Then she could have mentioned her business and provided evidence. Not before she was asked.

Case 2: Someone apply for a Visiting Visa was asked time after time-why he chose to go to a particular city in America (I think it was in the State of Georgia or Utah-I cant remember) and they kept on rambling and stammering. If I was visiting Nigeria from the USA and was not born in Nigeria-and decided to go to Abeokuta: there could be many reasons why:
-Maybe I have friends there
-Maybe I want to visit Olumo Rock
-Maybe because its close to Lagos-but much cheaper than Lagos
-Maybe my friends have gone there before
There has to be valid reason why you choose a destination. It defys logic if you cant easily and swiftly in one sentence say why you picked your destination.

Case 3: A woman who was applying to join her Husband overseas-was asked repeatedly: How often does your Husband come to visit you. I don't know if it was tension or something else-but the lady kept rambling. The question was simple:
" How often does your husband visit you"
And she kept on telling stories. The interviewer even at one point tried to help her-by asking:
"Is it every month or every year?"
And this lady couldn't get herself together. I think she was denied.

Case 4: Couples who came to be interviewed-not sure if for Visa lottery or some other immigrant Visa were separated after the first few questions. They asked one guy-where did you meet your wife? Wow! How can a man or woman not know where they met their partner. Even after 80 year of marriage-couples know where they met. My bros could not answer. The interviewer reached the assumption that it was a sham marriage and cancelled the visa that I think was in the last stage as they had previously visited the embassy. I felt so bad when the guy started saying : "I beg you in the name of God" You cant beg oyinbo people like that o. As soon as they give a decision -its done. To change it could even mean they loose their jobs.

Case 5: An elderly woman came with a child -saying that the child (about 3 years I think) had been adopted by her relative in the USA. The interviewer just brought out a copy of Punch newspapers and showed an article that had exposed that particular orphanage as a criminal enterprise which the Lagos Sate Government had shut down.
Case 6: A guy brought a lady saying that she was his wife. The interviewer then asked the lady to face a camera and declared that the Embassy face recognition software clearly showed that the photograph on the initial application was not that of the person standing in front of her.Almost in tears -she tried to explain that she had grown weight or something. She was denied and his visa was cancelled I think for fraud.
And all this was in less than 3 hours. In fact there were so many more.
Advice:
Answer questions directly. Don't tell stories. The interviewers don't hate you or even know you. They also don't like you. You are just another number on a list of interviews they have to conduct to earn their pay check. Be cool, be calm, be collected.
I remember one young Embassy staff-denying a man and the man kept begging. The interviewer with no emotion kept repeating: The interview is over sir. Your Visa request has been denied. Bla bla bla bla.
Non Immigrant Visa
The Embassy assumes that EVERYONE coming for any kind of Visa has no intention of returning to Nigeria. They want evidence that you will come back. Something that will show that you will come back.
Immigrant Visa
While filing your forms-don't lie, don't embellish. Just say the truth and put your records in order.

And if for some reason-you are denied-its not the end of the world. Just turn the disappointment into a blessing.
God bless Nigeria. God bless America.

Well my dear not every Nigerian do have the same orientation as you do, most intending travellers don't even understand what is written on their passport, and the class or type of visa the want. all they know is" I wan travel commot" that is why they can't answer simple interview questions. And the also think that the embassy staffs reasons like them. Proper orientation must be given before one goes for a visa interview, this can be done through websites, or visa consultants. And mind you it is not limited to Nigerians alone, most developing countries have similar issues with their citizens (india for instance). And also some embassy staffs can be silly, they like stereotyping Nigerians and unless you contest their decision you are on a long thing bro

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 01, 2014
i need to read every comment of this thread... pls make ina comment..

will be having my interview very soon too.... am still 17doh..

any advice.

following this thread like as lastma dey follow danfo..
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by texaco1: 11:51am On Jul 01, 2014
penquin: i need to read every comment of this thread... pls make ina comment..

will be having my interview very soon too.... am still 17doh..

any advice.

following this thread like as lastma dey follow danfo..
just remember this ,whatt u don't have ,you can't give . So make sure you are natural with the story you are gonna present .

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 01, 2014
thanks very much

texaco1: just remember this ,whatt u don't have ,you can't give . So make sure you are natural with the story you are gonna present .
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by omega2128(m): 12:14pm On Jul 01, 2014
I've wife, son, blood brother and sister, and countless number of friends and relatives in US, so I'm not new to US issue.
I've read thousand write ups and reviews about US embassy in Nigeria.
I found out that ignorance is killing nigerians. Nigerians will rather go on 40 days- 40nights fasting and prayers than to pick up their phones and browse for likely interview questions for 40 minutes. They believe that getting visa is all about luck not mind the fact that LUCK IS PREPARATION MEET OPPORTUNITY.
One of my friend went for student visa interview and VO asked him- why do you want to study in USA? My friend answered because US is a christian country. That is the dumbest dumb answer. If US is christian country, so is UK, german, denmark, south africa, benin republic, ghana etc, so he's free to go to any of them.
VOs know that many nigerians are liars and they are presenting fake documents but they want foolproof lies and documents. We, nigerians need to pray as if everything depends on God and also prepare as if everything depends on us. US govt want us because we are hardworking, 'big time spenders', our crimes are giving US govt slight headache not migraine,(our terrorism is minor compare with yemen, iran, afghanistan, our drug trafficking in minor in comparison with columbia and mexico, human trafficking not like China or Japan, economy rivalry not like china.) Nigerians are major minority in US. Nigerians are in every field in US from gas station attendant to CNA to CRNA to chief surgeon to entertainment industry to any field you can think of. I hope all nigerians in US will just go on a week strike to show our might and contribution to US economy.
NIGERIA IS NOT HELL AND USA IS NOT HEAVEN.
If pastor tells me that if I go to US, my life will turn out to be like my sister in US. I'll tear my international passport to pieces, burn it and throw it ashes into sea. Because travelling is a doom to some people lives while its a blessing to some.
We are all in pursuit of Happiness which may be found in US, Nigeria, Ghana or anywhere in the whole wide world.

29 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by McWhillion(m): 12:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
omega2128: I've wife, son, blood brother and sister, and countless number of friends and relatives in US, so I'm not new to US issue.
I've read thousand write ups and reviews about US embassy in Nigeria.
I found out that ignorance is killing nigerians. Nigerians will rather go on 40 days- 40nights fasting and prayers than to pick up their phones and browse for likely interview questions for 40 minutes. They believe that getting visa is all about luck not mind the fact that LUCK IS PREPARATION MEET OPPORTUNITY.
One of my friend went for student visa interview and VO asked him- why do you want to study in USA? My friend answered because US is a christian country. That is the dumbest dumb answer. If US is christian country, so is UK, german, denmark, south africa, benin republic, ghana etc, so he's free to go to any of them.
VOs know that many nigerians are liars and they are presenting fake documents but they want foolproof lies and documents. We, nigerians need to pray as if everything depends on God and also prepare as if everything depends on us. US govt want us because we are hardworking, 'big time spenders', our crimes are giving US govt slight headache not migraine,(our terrorism is minor compare with yemen, iran, afghanistan, our drug trafficking in minor in comparison with columbia and mexico, human trafficking not like China or Japan, economy rivalry not like china.) Nigerians are major minority in US. Nigerians are in every field in US from gas station attendant to CNA to CRNA to chief surgeon to entertainment industry to any field you can think of. I hope all nigerians in US will just go on a week strike to show our might and contribution to US economy.
NIGERIA IS NOT HELL AND USA IS NOT HEAVEN.
If pastor tells me that if I go to US, my life will turn out to be like my sister in US. I'll tear my international passport to pieces, burn it and throw it ashes into sea. Because travelling is a doom to some people lives while its a blessing to some.
We are all in pursuit of Happiness which may be found in US, Nigeria, Ghana or anywhere in the whole wide world.

You're so on point sir.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by coachwilcox(m): 12:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
Getting a visa is about confidence, being truthful and avoiding a desperate spirit. Most people lose their composure when applying for a visa due to tension as they are desperate to get the visa.

After US visa, Germany is one of the toughest to obtain but I've got it three times. The first time the German man simply asked me a question about my work (I work in a telco) related to his mobile phone and I answered clearly. He even gave me additional week to what I applied for.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by kokoye(m): 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2014
Maxwell86: Wherever you Go.........HOME is the best place

Home is where you choose to call it.....not necessarily where you were born

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by coachwilcox(m): 12:45pm On Jul 01, 2014
Some people don't even fill their jamb forms themselves. Talk less of visa application form. And some of these so called agents don't even educate people on the information that they fill in.

I was at the us embassy and a guy was asked where the hotel he booked for a conference is. Dude replied Manhattan. Then he was asked where Manhattan is and that was it . he didn't know and he was denied.

Another guy suited up and looked too formal. In the end he was simply denied.

Some guy was denied because he couldn't defend the course he wanted to go study...metallurgical engineering.

I was denied because I had a pending immigration visa filed by my mother and couldn't apply for non immigrant visa again.

Just be confident and have full knowledge of what you're going to do there along with ensuring your application includes something that shows you have strong ties to your home country. If possible, never mention that you have relatives or friends where you're visiting except they are the one who invited you.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by emybaby2(f): 12:46pm On Jul 01, 2014
icebeatz:

IS IT THE US EMBASSY IN LAGOS??
Your story is bullshiiiit man.
First of all, you can get privacy once you pick up thee fone in front of you. If you dont pick it up, it will automatically be on speaker.

Secondly, you only run biometrics once and that is before the interview. During the interview, nobody has any business with how you look like. The visa officer will only look at ur passport and proceed to interview u.

Lastly, immigrant visa applicants have their own section and non-immigrant have their own section and its impossible to hear whats going on in the immigrant section from the non immigrant section.

Your story is crap.
The story is not crap, maybe there are changes when you went there, I was at Lagos embassy in 3rd jan, 2013 and i was at the immigration side, and i heard all the interviews that went on and how people fumble. I was given my visa and now am in the states. Don't just assume what someone is saying is a lie based on just a few days visit.

5 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2014
I'm a medical doctor by profession and I want to go and continue in the USA...what do I need to know pertaining to embassy issues.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 01, 2014
I married a citizen so mine was very different from student visa and what not.

Being an intelligent young man, even about a year before my interview, I read all the immigration threads on nairaland and other websites. I also educated myself on how to answer the possible questions likely to be asked.

Because my marriage was not a sham, I simply went there and told them the truth. I had 2 bags full of evidence: wedding pix, outings pix, our honeymoon moon hotel receipts, phone logs, whatsapp chats, facebook chat, family pix, etc.

I went there loaded with the truth and evidence of my marriage. I remember my mum telling me that I should tell them that my pastor was pastor adeboye. Many ppl in RCCG had testified that calling Pastor Adeboye usually made them get their visa. I didn't argue but I planned never to do that. Pastor adeboye is not my God and I don't even like the man cheesy

Anyway, I dressed well and answered all the questions as they were asked and received my visa in about 5 mins.

Preparation is the key.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 01, 2014
drlawizle: I'm a medical doctor by profession and I want to go and continue in the USA...what do I need to know pertaining to embassy issues.

That is not a problem at all. Just go to the embassy and tell them you are a Doc and want to go continue your career in the US. They will give you a 10year multiple entry visa. tongue grin

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by trytillmake(m): 2:59pm On Jul 01, 2014
pDude: I married a citizen so mine was very different from student visa and what not.

Many ppl in RCCG had testified that calling Pastor Adeboye usually made them get their visa. I didn't argue but I planned never to do that. Pastor adeboye is not my God and I don't even like the man cheesy

GUY U FUNNY SHA. grin grin WHY U NR LIKE BABA ADEBOYE NA?

lagtech:
Wherever you are-work hard, work smart, make your family and country proud- let the child you were be proud of the person YOU HAVE become and enjoy God's Earth!

EM, OK GUY this yr words made my day, i need to paste this words somewhere on my system so i can remember this.

OK back to the matter, i was denied visa yr 2005, during my visa lottery interview, the crux of the mattter was that , the original age i filled in the online form during application (younger age) was not wat i presented in my birth certificate during the interview (older age), ok i was actually playing wen i filled the form did not really know i will win,but alas i cme win, did all the medicals, police report, passport and all the waka.

Na wen i cme finally go for interview na im the interviewer bring the form i fill online compare with my birth certificate i was presenting, oh boy i wan nearly faint, i cme lie say na cyber cafe attendant na im fill my form wrongly say i nr know, na lie oh, the interviewer nr gree, he just said sorry visa denied, yr age does not correlate with wat u filled before, kai, wen i go outside the embassy i sit down for one long bench outsite for almost 1 hr dey think.

But that is a long story nw, i nw realise opportunities abound in Naija especially in the IT sector which i am in, and on day i will surely visit Ame. go see wats up there, at least no venture no story.

Peace, welcome back Nairaland, could not really find an alternative to this forum during the hiatus, all the rest seemed to be trying too hard, and i was not really interested, but here people take time to share from all works of life, and that is the NAIJA SPIRIT, which i wish can be imbibed by all Nigerians.

Nigeria, Nigeria a natiion of more the 170 million people, if we at least have small love and believe in ourselves we will definitely rule AFRICA and conquer the world.

4 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by lagtech(m): 3:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
icebeatz:

IS IT THE US EMBASSY IN LAGOS??
Your story is bullshiiiit man.
First of all, you can get privacy once you pick up thee fone in front of you. If you dont pick it up, it will automatically be on speaker.

Secondly, you only run biometrics once and that is before the interview. During the interview, nobody has any business with how you look like. The visa officer will only look at ur passport and proceed to interview u.

Lastly, immigrant visa applicants have their own section and non-immigrant have their own section and its impossible to hear whats going on in the immigrant section from the non immigrant section.

Your story is crap.

Bros-
1)As of April 2nd 2014-all the interviews were done in 1 big hall. The non immigrant were behind and to left. The immigrant were infront and 1 cubicle to my left. I could even hear people at the far end of the hall. And it was the same thing in March 2007 as well-the one time I was there previously.
2)You only use the phone system to talk to the interviewer if you are asked to.
3) When it was my time I was not asked to pick up the phone. Pick up the phone when you are not asked to....bro that could be trouble for you.
4) I have no idea what the Bio-metrics issue has to do with it.
5) Several people on this thread have also commented about what they heard other people say in the interview Hall-so MAYBE -you likely went to 1 US Embassy and WE went to another.
6) Crap belongs to the Bathroom/Toilet sir.
7) Bullshit is for male cattle.

12 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Yeecar(m): 3:35pm On Jul 01, 2014
coachwilcox: Some people don't even fill their jamb forms themselves. Talk less of visa application form. And some of these so called agents don't even educate people on the information that they fill in.

I was at the us embassy and a guy was asked where the hotel he booked for a conference is. Dude replied Manhattan. Then he was asked where Manhattan is and that was it . he didn't know and he was denied.

Another guy suited up and looked too formal. In the end he was simply denied.

Some guy was denied because he couldn't defend the course he wanted to go study...metallurgical engineering.

I was denied because I had a pending immigration visa filed by my mother and couldn't apply for non immigrant visa again.

Just be confident and have full knowledge of what you're going to do there along with ensuring your application includes something that shows you have strong ties to your home country. If possible, never mention that you have relatives or friends where you're visiting except they are the one who invited you.
Is it possible to get a Non immigrant visa while you have a pending Immigrant visa filed by a relative. I have been denied trice, could that be the reazon for my denial?
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by kokoye(m): 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2014
Yeecar: Is it possible to get a Non immigrant visa while you have a pending Immigrant visa filed by a relative. I have been denied trice, could that be the reazon for my denial?

Most likely..yes...that's why. The usually dont grant that kind of visa when you have a permanent type pending.

But also, what reason were you given?
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by kokoye(m): 3:46pm On Jul 01, 2014
trytillmake: Nigeria, Nigeria a natiion of more the 170 million people, if we at least have small love and believe in ourselves we will definitely rule AFRICA and conquer the world.

Ifs, ifs ifs ....

Not likely to happen.

Our culture and tradition are not one that breeds love.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Legendoscar2: 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2014
Godson201333: Wow,you only saw the one happening in America embassy so many more examples from other embassies too.

A student was asked during her us visa interview...

Vo:so you want to go to America to further your studies.

Student: yes

Vo: how did you found the school?

Student:I can't remember

Vo:what do you know about the city you going to study eg Maryland

Student:the population there is very low and their major occupation Is farming.

Vo: and how is the weather like there.

Student:oh my friend told me it's always sunny out there..

Vo:okay you need to go back to secondary school and then re apply for your visa.

Good day.

"Okay you need to go back to secondary school...." You mean a visa officer of a reputable country said that? You must be a Chronic liar!

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2014
kokoye:

Ifs, ifs ifs ....

Not likely to happen.

Our culture and tradition is not one that breeds love.

I go buy you beer for the bolded. cheesy
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by trytillmake(m): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2014
kokoye:

Ifs, ifs ifs ....

Not likely to happen.

Our culture and tradition is not one that breeds love.

But apart from CULTURE, most of us claim to be Christians, if 10% of us can at least behave like we are taught in church every sunday, Naija will change, our value system ,money at all cost seems to be the prevalent factor, if the 10% can believe in the bible which says "seek ye first the word all, i REPEAT all will be added to u", if we can take this and hold on to it i believe this country will change.

Not trying to praise a paticular Pastor, but for me a man like Pastor Sam Adeyemi, i watch his videos online about his passsion for this country, i need to say this, the man is talented, if we can have small love for this country starting from our leaders, this NAIJA will be a better place.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by kokoye(m): 5:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
trytillmake:

But apart from CULTURE, most of us claim to be Christians, if 10% of us can at least behave like we are taught in church every sunday, Naija will change, our value system ,money at all cost seems to be the prevalent factor, if the 10% can believe in the bible which says "seek ye first the word all, i REPEAT all will be added to u", if we can take this and hold on to it i believe this country will change.

Again ...if if if

aint happening ...I wish it would.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Godson201333(m): 5:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
Yeecar: Is it possible to get a Non immigrant visa while you have a pending Immigrant visa filed by a relative. I have been denied trice, could that be the reazon for my denial?

It is not possible bro these VOS knows that you are likely not gonna be back....Speaking from experience because my elder brother is also on immigration visa filed and he went for non immi...but was denied ..VO told him that bt you got a pending case and he said YES ..so VO said you gotta wait till they contact you!
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by ojoxman(m): 7:27pm On Jul 01, 2014
Visa interviews are simple. Just make sure you intend going for the right reasons. I applied to a us school and went for the visa interview not having my sevis fee confirmed yet. we all know without the sevis fee no interview. On the day of my interview I had the intention of going in and reschedule interview date because I could no longer do it online. To my surprise, after explaining myself at the abuja embassy entrance, i was told to go in. Inside, the visa officers registered me in and said I should wait till its my turn. Really I was not prepared for the interview. It was my turn:
Conversation:
ME: Hi, how are you?
Vo: I'm good.
(sounds funny)
vo: can I have your papers and passport?
Me: sure. (Passed it to her)
vo: what are you going to do in us
me; to study for my msc.
vo: what school?
me; ...university
vo: how did you hear /know the sch?
me: through the internet
vo: where is it located?
me: ...state
vo: what do you wanna study?
me: Informatics
(I studied pure and applied physics in my undergraduate. But am IT inclined)
vo; You studied Physics,why informatics and what does that mean?
me: I explained why I choose informatics and how i am going to apply what i learn to Nigerian society.
vO: hum. So can you give me some theorems in physics?
me: (I blanked out) (summoned courage). Oh ok I am going to explain "Digital Electronics"
(By the time I opened my mouth I was explaining Communications Physics). she was just noding her head as if she knew what I was explaining was right. (In my mind, I knew what I explained was totally wrong).
vo: who is sponsoring you?
me: i told her my dad.
vo: what does he do?
me: I told her
vo: she looked through for awhile about 3mins
me; (In my mind,I was like whats going on ooo) (Scared at the same time)
next she said was "your visa has been approved"
me: thank you so much am grateful. (It was like I deep my head in cold water)
vo: pass me your sevis fee
me: I had paid but I could not print out because its not been confirmed.
vo: ok make sure you printout before travelling, you willl be asked at the point of entry.

Guys that was how i got it. I left there, i could not even drive for like 10mins waited and think about myself.
Sometimes, visa interview is not that you have all your papers, its all about composure. In fact, I added my Gtbank account along with the account of my sponsor. she checked my sponsor's account and checked my gtbank. that was just printed on a conqueror paper. she asked if that was also my sponsors, I told her no that its my account. I submitted both savings and current account. my balance was just 1000naira. (I know you guys wouldn't believe that. but my account had a good running history.)
My advise is that you know exactly what you want to do i the us and be sure and compose yourself. don't give answer to questions you were not asked. show a tie to your country. While the VO is interviewing you look into their eyes. trust me you will make it through. wish you guys all the best. Nigerians are known well in us to be successful and you find them in the best places you can think of. From media to GE etc. in schools they do well too. But some Nigerians here also give us bad impressions for being too smart and engaging in fraud. chose the right path.
Regards.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Truckpusher(m): 8:15pm On Jul 01, 2014
When peeps celebrate for getting a visa to the US ,why wouldn't they act as if your life depended on their Visa? undecided

Honestly ,the way some Nigerians behave during Visa interview is just so embarrassing and disgusting and sometimes really make me shed tears.

When you watch on as your own people are being treated like skunks,It breaks one's heart but the truth is that people should have some level of dignity for themselves but some Nigerians won't get that fact that the level of respect you get back is the level of respect and dignity you show to yourself as a person.

But all the same I blame everything on our past and present leadership.If only they had done everything right maybe we wouldn't be begging for an American Visa today.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by adigunomomama(m): 9:37pm On Jul 01, 2014
ojoxman: Visa interviews are simple. Just make sure you intend going for the right reasons. I applied to a us school and went for the visa interview not having my sevis fee confirmed yet. we all know without the sevis fee no interview. On the day of my interview I had the intention of going in and reschedule interview date because I could no longer do it online. To my surprise, after explaining myself at the abuja embassy entrance, i was told to go in. Inside, the visa officers registered me in and said I should wait till its my turn. Really I was not prepared for the interview. It was my turn:
Conversation:
ME: Hi, how are you?
Vo: I'm good.
(sounds funny)
vo: can I have your papers and passport?
Me: sure. (Passed it to her)
vo: what are you going to do in us
me; to study for my msc.
vo: what school?
me; ...university
vo: how did you hear /know the sch?
me: through the internet
vo: where is it located?
me: ...state
vo: what do you wanna study?
me: Informatics
(I studied pure and applied physics in my undergraduate. But am IT inclined)
vo; You studied Physics,why informatics and what does that mean?
me: I explained why I choose informatics and how i am going to apply what i learn to Nigerian society.
vO: hum. So can you give me some theorems in physics?
me: (I blanked out) (summoned courage). Oh ok I am going to explain "Digital Electronics"
(By the time I opened my mouth I was explaining Communications Physics). she was just noding her head as if she knew what I was explaining was right. (In my mind, I knew what I explained was totally wrong).
vo: who is sponsoring you?
me: i told her my dad.
vo: what does he do?
me: I told her
vo: she looked through for awhile about 3mins
me; (In my mind,I was like whats going on ooo) (Scared at the same time)
next she said was "your visa has been approved"
me: thank you so much am grateful. (It was like I deep my head in cold water)
vo: pass me your sevis fee
me: I had paid but I could not print out because its not been confirmed.
vo: ok make sure you printout before travelling, you willl be asked at the point of entry.

Guys that was how i got it. I left there, i could not even drive for like 10mins waited and think about myself.
Sometimes, visa interview is not that you have all your papers, its all about composure. In fact, I added my Gtbank account along with the account of my sponsor. she checked my sponsor's account and checked my gtbank. that was just printed on a conqueror paper. she asked if that was also my sponsors, I told her no that its my account. I submitted both savings and current account. my balance was just 1000naira. (I know you guys wouldn't believe that. but my account had a good running history.)
My advise is that you know exactly what you want to do i the us and be sure and compose yourself. don't give answer to questions you were not asked. show a tie to your country. While the VO is interviewing you look into their eyes. trust me you will make it through. wish you guys all the best. Nigerians are known well in us to be successful and you find them in the best places you can think of. From media to GE etc. in schools they do well too. But some Nigerians he re also give us bad impressions for being too smart and engaging in fraud. chose the right path.
Regards.

Hmmm....sorry wen did u had dis interview?
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by sogodihno: 2:32am On Jul 02, 2014
Phema:

That is not a problem at all. Just go to the embassy and tell them you are a Doc and want to go continue your career in the US. They will give you a 10year multiple entry visa. tongue grin
Helo boss, am a pharmacist by profession, and i want to practice in US wat do i need to do concerning dz visa stuff
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 4:48am On Jul 02, 2014
texaco1: God bless u for this comment bro,people will never believe until they have seen and experienced it. I always advise people that what they are spending millions or hundreds of thousand to look for is right in front and beside them in nigeria .but whenever I tell them ,they. Always hate me so I have decided to watch them.but nigerians should note that what u are looking for outside is right there in nigeria
Yeah..things like Boko haram, doctors going on strike, high infant mortality rate, inadequate power supply, lawlessness e.tc. oga park well joor. Na everybody go fit afford money to buy good things of life in Nigeria like Adenuga Things are are free in America and other developed countries.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by souleymon(m): 6:24am On Jul 02, 2014
drlawizle: I'm a medical doctor by profession and I want to go and continue in the USA...what do I need to know pertaining to embassy issues.
Stay in Nigeria.
You can't be employed with visiting visa as a medical doctor in the USA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Train Derails In A Forest In Kwara, Passengers Stranded (Photos) / Two Trucks Of Fulanis Intercepted At A Military Checkpoint In Cross River.Photos / Drone Crashes Into Spewing Volcano In Iceland (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.