Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,108 members, 7,807,341 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677015 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Abatoy: 11:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
VISA officer : my fiancé went for an interview on Feb13th 2015 and he was giving 221g white stating that the petition will be returned to NVC. I have called NVC three times now and I was told that Lagos Embassy is yet to returned it. Who can I talk to at the Lagos Embassy? Case number :LGS2015514005. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 12:09am On Feb 25, 2015
Good day ma, still on The Adepoju Family ma, on Thursday that we went for our interview, the consulate officer told us hr will call us as soon as he receives our police certificates ma, now that you can confirm that it has been submitted, but we have not heard anything from them, how can we be sure our Visas are been processed, is there any hope of getting it on Friday as we were told at the DHL office and how are we going to get our green card form that is been given to people ma? Please help me out ma. thanks ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:51am On Feb 25, 2015
I wrote to you previously about having a baby here when my spousal visa case is in process, my due date is fast approaching and we are yet to be scheduled for interview, do I wait till the baby is born before contacting the embassy or should I write to them of a possible birth and due date?Please ma, how long do you think it will take for us to get an interview date? We were assigned this case no LGS2015513039 since the end of January .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 4:11am On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Don't kill any trees! I'd advise a couple of messages from each month of your relationship, to show us that it's been ongoing over time.

Also, while I'm sure you wouldn't do this, I want to take this opportunity to ask people not to submit extremely graphic sexual messages and photos. They do not convince us that people have a genuine relationship; they make us think that people are trying way too hard to look like they have a genuine relationship. If you wouldn't let your grandparents read the messages, please don't make us read them. grin

Haha! No worries, we have none of those messages!! I couldn't imagine that people would actually send those in! Goodness! Thank you so much for all your help, you're a God sent!!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:07am On Feb 25, 2015
Jchi9876:

Heard she is the prettiest lady behind those glass shields, Average height (to sound polite lol) very smiley and can't be missed grin
Abi VO?

Hush hush before I start believing your flattery and become impossible to live with!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:09am On Feb 25, 2015
Olaide428:

She has a voice of an angel, has empathy n she honestly wish people here well. 2 thumps up for her

Thank you o! All of us officers wish everyone well. Issuing visas makes us happy. kiss

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:09am On Feb 25, 2015
xij38580:
Hi,

I would like to attend a coding program in the US. The program consists of a one week training and a 6 month - 24 month paid internship. I would like to find out what kind of visa would I be required to apply for.

I tried asking the training company(Eleven Fifty Coding Academy) , but they've only had few international participants and they were mostly from the Uk.

Thank you

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . I'm not fully versed in non-immigrant visa categories.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:12am On Feb 25, 2015
Abatoy:
VISA officer : my fiancé went for an interview on Feb13th 2015 and he was giving 221g white stating that the petition will be returned to NVC. I have called NVC three times now and I was told that Lagos Embassy is yet to returned it. Who can I talk to at the Lagos Embassy? Case number :LGS2015514005. Thanks.

It looks like it should go back this week or next week. We send them in batches, so it can take a while to gather enough cases to fill the box.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:16am On Feb 25, 2015
bukolacole:
Good day ma, still on The Adepoju Family ma, on Thursday that we went for our interview, the consulate officer told us hr will call us as soon as he receives our police certificates ma, now that you can confirm that it has been submitted, but we have not heard anything from them, how can we be sure our Visas are been processed, is there any hope of getting it on Friday as we were told at the DHL office and how are we going to get our green card form that is been given to people ma? Please help me out ma. thanks ma.

I've attached the "green card form" here for you. Your police certificates are here; my guess is that the visas will be print-authorized today and printed tomorrow at the latest. So to be safe, Monday would be a good day to check at the collection center. You can also call the collection center before making the trip. I'd add "or you could post here" but I'll be out of the office Friday-Wednesday...

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:24am On Feb 25, 2015
tochimas:
I wrote to you previously about having a baby here when my spousal visa case is in process, my due date is fast approaching and we are yet to be scheduled for interview, do I wait till the baby is born before contacting the embassy or should I write to them of a possible birth and due date?Please ma, how long do you think it will take for us to get an interview date? We were assigned this case no LGS2015513039 since the end of January .

You should be scheduled for an interview two or three months after your case is documentarily complete.

Here's something you should think about. Has your husband been in the U.S. long enough that your child will be born a U.S. citizen? As long as your husband has been there for five years total before the baby is born, the baby will be eligible for a U.S. passport. But, if not, your husband will need to file a separate I-130 petition for the baby. If that happens, we do expedite cases for minors when one of the parents already has a case open with us -- so it won't delay your travel for very long. When NVC gives the baby an interview date, ask them to expedite it; they'll ask us if we consent, and we do grant this type of request.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Feb 25, 2015
Euma:
I do not share the same views with the poster who wrote that the engagement is same as traditional marriage. Where I come from, you don't jump the wedding stages. There is a line between introduction/engagement and traditional marriage. You are not considered married until the suitors have paid the bride's dowry. And in most cases you don't come for introduction and pay the bride's dowry same time. You can only go as far as engaging with your fiance/é. Just saying...

Nairalanders: I understand there is at least one cultural group here in which the couple isn't considered married even after the bride price / dowry has been paid? Which group is that, and what has to happen next for the couple to be considered married? Educate me! smiley

We spend a lot of time in the office talking about these issues with our Nigerian colleagues here, but I'd love to hear from you, too.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lizcom25: 7:56am On Feb 25, 2015
Hello CO,
Please i already have my USA Visa and needed to apply for my two children(10yrs & 8yrs) for summer break. Please how do i go about this?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 8:05am On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Nairalanders: I understand there is at least one cultural group here in which the couple isn't considered married even after the bride price / dowry has been paid? Which group is that, and what has to happen next for the couple to be considered married? Educate me! smiley

We spend a lot of time in the office talking about these issues with our Nigerian colleagues here, but I'd love to hear from you, too.

VO the member you quoted[Euma] is right...couple is considered married the moment the bride price/dowry is paid...in Igbo culture the dowry and the traditional marriage could be done the same day and the wife officially go home with her husband....marriage done.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:40am On Feb 25, 2015
justwise:

VO the member you quoted[Euma] is right...couple is considered married the moment the bride price/dowry is paid...in Igbo culture the dowry and the traditional marriage could be done the same day and the wife officially go home with her husband....marriage done.

And Yoruba and Hausa culture? smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:40am On Feb 25, 2015
lizcom25:
Hello CO,
Please i already have my USA Visa and needed to apply for my two children(10yrs & 8yrs) for summer break. Please how do i go about this?

Thanks

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 8:50am On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Will be happy to read from members from those two tribes so as to get a balanced info.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 9:40am On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

In the Yoruba culture, the woman is considered married as soon as the dowry is paid. It's mostly done on the day of the traditional ceremony. The Yoruba culture gives more preference to the traditional marriage more than the church or registry marriage.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:47am On Feb 25, 2015
eoc4ever:

In the Yoruba culture, the woman is considered married as soon as the dowry is paid. It's mostly done on the day of the traditional ceremony. The Yoruba culture gives more preference to the traditional marriage more than the church or registry marriage.
Is dowry and bride price the same?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:23am On Feb 25, 2015
eoc4ever:

ferdimako:

Dowry.... bride price.... idana.... etc. Or so I've been told.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 11:29am On Feb 25, 2015
ferdimako:

Technically the same, dowry comes from the woman or her family while bride price comes from the man or his family
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sunby2012(m): 11:36am On Feb 25, 2015
eoc4ever:

I don't know where u belong in our Yoruba society because ur reply about Yoruba people considering dowry as marriage is NOT CORRECT.. This day n age Yoruba hardly accepts money for their beloved daughters, however, they will joyfully receive any natural gift you bring to them as a gud intent to reserve their lovely daughter for you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sunby2012(m): 11:45am On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Dowry.... bride price.... idana.... etc. Or so I've been told.

It's somehow complicated but depending on your background (idile).. In Yoruba land.. Dowry is a gift to show ur sincerity towards their beautiful daughter NOT giving her away for cash..

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Abatoy: 12:19pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hi visa officer, can you explain the process or what might happen when petition is being returned to NVC and is there are chance that visa might be issued even after the petition expire? My petition will expire in April and the NVC will receive the petition from Lsgos Embassy in a week or two . Case number :LGS2015514005. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fyv722: 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Hello visa officer, I am really grateful for how nicely you answered my questions before my interview, thank you so much. I had my k1 visa interview last week and it was successful. I was told by the officer that interviewed me that my visa will be ready on Thursday being tomorrow but my status on CEAC still shows non-immigrant AP, please could you help me verify what is going on. Can I still get it tomorrow or maybe on Friday. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
Abatoy:
Hi visa officer, can you explain the process or what might happen when petition is being returned to NVC and is there are chance that visa might be issued even after the petition expire? My petition will expire in April and the NVC will receive the petition from Lsgos Embassy in a week or two . Case number :LGS2015514005. Thanks.

K-1 returns are processed a bit differently than other returns because K-1 visas are technically non-immigrant visas and because, as you point out, the petitions expire so quickly. USCIS generally does not contact the petitioners in K-1 returns. However, you are free to file another petition on behalf of the beneficiary if you think you have evidence that will convince an officer that your relationship is bona fide.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:31pm On Feb 25, 2015
fyv722:
Hello visa officer, I am really grateful for how nicely you answered my questions before my interview, thank you so much. I had my k1 visa interview last week and it was successful. I was told by the officer that interviewed me that my visa will be ready on Thursday being tomorrow but my status on CEAC still shows non-immigrant AP, please could you help me verify what is going on. Can I still get it tomorrow or maybe on Friday. Thanks

Actually it generally takes two weeks for a K visa to be printed, because it's technically a non-immigrant visa that has to be transferred among various computer systems to be printed. It looks like the visa will be printed today, so I'm guessing it will be ready for pick-up no later than Monday. But it's always safest to call the collection center before making the trip.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fyv722: 12:39pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ok ma, thank you so much.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
Here's a typical online description of a Yoruba traditional wedding, from http://www.yorubabridalengagement.com/ :

The Engagement Ceremony
The Yoruba engagement ceremony is actually the “traditional wedding.” This is when the couple is united together as husband and wife and the groom’s family pays the dowry or “bridal price.” As with any other wedding, the occasion is graced with lots of fun, singing, dancing, laughing, blessing the couple, and praying.

And for Hausa couples, from http://www.allthingsnigeria.com/2012/hausa-traditional-marriage :

It is part of the Hausa tradition for the groom to provide a house for the couple while furnishing the house is the full responsibility of the bride’s family. The wedding date is called Fatihah. It is the day of Solemnization of the two families and payment of the dowry referred to as sadaki.

Everything I'm finding continues to support the idea that a couple is considered married once the bride price / dowry has been paid.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kenkelewu: 2:02pm On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:
Here's a typical online description of a Yoruba traditional wedding, from http://www.yorubabridalengagement.com/ :
The Engagement Ceremony
The Yoruba engagement ceremony is actually the “traditional wedding.” This is when the couple is united together as husband and wife and the groom’s family pays the dowry or “bridal price.” As with any other wedding, the occasion is graced with lots of fun, singing, dancing, laughing, blessing the couple, and praying.
And for Hausa couples, from http://www.allthingsnigeria.com/2012/hausa-traditional-marriage :
It is part of the Hausa tradition for the groom to provide a house for the couple while furnishing the house is the full responsibility of the bride’s family. The wedding date is called Fatihah. It is the day of Solemnization of the two families and payment of the dowry referred to as sadaki.
Everything I'm finding continues to support the idea that a couple is considered married once
[quote author=VisaOfficer post=31068860]Here's a typical online description of a Yoruba traditional wedding, from http://www.yorubabridalengagement.com/ :

The Engagement Ceremony

Everything I'm finding continues to support the idea that a couple is considered married once the bride price / dowry has been paid.

This is correct. The Yoruba engagement is actually a traditional marriage. However (sometimes depends on the family), you cannot formally refer to someone as your fiance/fiancee until you have had a formal introduction ceremony. It is at this ceremony that both families decide on when to have a traditional marriage, which may be several months after the introduction .The traditional marriage (engagement, where the dowry/bride price is offered) is usually followed (or same day in some cases) by a religious wedding ceremony, which is a big deal in most Yoruba families.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 2:19pm On Feb 25, 2015
good afternoon ma, I really appreciate you ma, for taking out of ur very busy time and answer people questions here ma. Pls ma, my interview was last 2weeks ago, visa approved, but i was told to get new medical and police, as its going to expire. I was given a white gss collection paper to submit the requested documents and passport at the DHL, and come back after 5 working days for pick up. I submited them last thursday and tomorrow makes 5 working days. Pls ma, I want to know if i should go tomorrow or friday for pick up ma. My name is Kayode.....LGS2014569045. Thanx and God bless u for everyone ma........
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bahterry: 2:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
My fiancee interview is coming up shortly, but she told me that she has lost all the pictures. I sent out several pictures of us along with the Form 129F. Would u please tell us if USCIS forwarded copies of all those pictures to you in Lagos Nigeria with our Approved petition? Pls say yes they forwarded them!!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Jchi9876: 2:31pm On Feb 25, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Thank you o! All of us officers wish everyone well. [/b]Issuing visas makes us happy[b]. kiss

When those oluwole, magomago and fraudulent applicants are caught makes me happier grin cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.