Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677161 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tehfrhn786: 3:18pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hello Sir!!
I really appreciate you for taking out time for us and respond to all the questions we have about immigrant and non immigrant visas.
I have one quick question. I have filed for my husband I 130. Since i do not have any income as i have not been working since 2012 so what i did is got the verification of non filing letter from.IRS and submitted joint sponsor tax return , affifavit of support of mine as well as the joint sponsor. At this point, my concern wouls it affect my case as my uncle who is a joint sponsor has sponsored some relatives before as well among whch few have already became US citizens exept 3 who just immigrated couple of months ago and one more who has not applied for naturalization yet. their house hold size consists of 5 members including him. And his annual salary is 100k . Would it matter? I am waiting for an interview date.
An immediare response would certainly be aappreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by usrun: 4:25pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hi Consular. Please, must the petitioner of F2B category be in the US at the time of Beneficiary interview. And also must the petitioner be in the US before the beneficiary migrate. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Zariah: 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hi Visa officer, i have a question concerning the form I134 I'd love to have clarification on. My fiance and i are presently waiting on our NoA2 for a K1 visa. Thing is I receive a SSDi which I believe is suitable for Affidavit of support but the income from that does not exceed the HHS threshold for our family size. Also I have a job from which I get paid on the table, i don't pay tax on it. Adding this to my ssa exceeds the needed amount. Can I use this for AoS? or will using a Co sponsor be better. Also, i have read that the lagos embassy does not issue visas for Co sponsorship. I will be grateful if you can throw light on this. Bless you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by shagisha: 10:48pm On Mar 22, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Only U.S. citizens can file the I-600 petition for an adopted child (IR-3 or IR-4).

However, if the child has been in your physical and legal custody for at least two years (even if the adoption itself became final more recently), as a Legal Permanent Resident you could file the I-130 for the child as an F2A. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like that is your situation.
Good day Visa Officer,
I have come again o.Please ,I have some questions pertaining to the answer you gave me before.
1.If I decide to wait till Im a citizen before the adoption does the 2years physical legal custody still apply?
2.Also, the child in question is my nephew.my younger sister have 3kids for a man who left her to wed another woman when she was pregnant with her third child.we have not set eyes on him since then and he has never bothered to come and check on them for four years now.We heard he is nolonger with the other woman.His mum and his step dad whom we know have since passed on.They have been living with my mum since the guy left and she cant afford to take care of them because she does not have a job.He seems to have disappeared into thin air and no one knows his where about.
I on the other hand have none and would prefer to adopt one of my own.so my question is,'does the child qualify for
adoption?'
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pinkyflexy: 10:58am On Mar 23, 2015
Hello officer,I hv a question regarding my petition,my case is at d nvc waiting for an appoitment,here goes my question,I currently don't hv a job anymore I lost my job dis Febuary am hoping dis will nt stop d officer to denied my visamy wife is a USA citizen she petition for me.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 11:47am On Mar 23, 2015
Good day ma, please ma, my dad told me he had done his own DNA since last Monday in Houston, please when are we likely to be called to come for our sample collection at the consulate ma?. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cutemydee(f): 1:48pm On Mar 23, 2015
Goodafternoon VO,
Hope your weekend was great. Please I would like to remind you about my case. you said you were going to help find out today.I find it hard to concentrate on anything else Papa needs to be with his dad,he's becoming a handful and I want to be with my husband too.sorry to bother you with my wahala :-).Thanks a lot.

Case number:LGS2014677037
Interview date:March 5th 2015
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omidan21: 2:21pm On Mar 23, 2015
Dear vo
My fiancee sister filled the I-130 visa class for him last year. My fiancee says we can't do legal court marriage yet cause dis will nullify his chances.now to the big question.how long does it take for this processing. My fiancee sister is a citizen. Had a good job over there. I need to be sure abt how long one needs to wait
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by teeoba: 6:30pm On Mar 23, 2015
Dear VO,
How long does the Dropbox renewal take? My passport has been with the Abuja Office for nearly one month now. I havent heard from them or gotten a request for more information and DHL says it is still at the Embassy. What could be happening? Can I call the Embassy to inquire?
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 9:28pm On Mar 23, 2015
Hi Visa Officer
Sure you are doing great.
I am back again in respect of my hubby case, hope you can still remember my case?
Uscis sent a mail today that they denied the waiver on the ground that he is a diversity visa applicant and that the fiscal year for dv has ended Sept 30th 2014.that dv Visa category has ended.
Now my question is this, should I go ahead and file for him?
If yes, will the issue of material misrepresentation not going to come up again when he is invited for interview?
Please I need your professional advice right now I'm so confused.i need you to advice me on the next step to take.
Thanks and God bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chrisjulie(m): 6:47am On Mar 24, 2015
Dear VO,
I am worried about my wife immigration visa case. My wife was interviewed in Lagos on August 25th for Cr1 visa and she was placed on administrative processing since then after summiting a contact list. Her case is still pending and no update. What is going on with our case? Please VO help us as this case is driving us crazy everyday. The agony of maintaining two homes and the emotional drains on us is overwhelming.

Case No. LGS2014612025

Date of Interview August 25th 2014

Thank you so much.

ChrisJulie
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rayanah100: 9:10am On Mar 24, 2015
dear visa officer,
my dad filled a pettition for me last year june, but till now he dint see their response they sent him an email yesterday saying that they denied the visa because my dad did not contact them four months ago, the issue is that they sent letters to the wrong post adress, and not to the adress of my dad. however, they gave my dad two options, either he should start the process all over again or he should reopen the case ofcourse with reasons, so my dad decided to reopen the case and the reason being letters were being sent to the wrong post adress. my question is if a case is reopened how long can it take to schedule for an interview
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olatexas(f): 9:42am On Mar 24, 2015
Dear VO,
Gud am.. Would u please tell us what Forms we need to file for k3 spousal. My fiancee was denied k1 lastweek in Nigeria. I'm a us citizen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2015
hardeybomy:
Pls Ma... my dad who s based in u.s petitioned for 3 of us i.e me nd my 2 younger siblings... unfortunately I wasnt given an interview date alongside my siblings but i was still d one who took them for d interview and I explained to our interviewer... she however assured me that as long as I was d oldest of d 3... I had great chances... I was invited for DNA with them... I need you to help us out in everyway u can... we need to join our dad cos our parents are divorced and we stay here with an aunt

Greetings! I'm not sure what you're asking me to do. (Also, please understand that I'm not here to do favors for people -- I'm here to clarify immigration laws and policies.)

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
chrisjulie:
Dear VO,
I am worried about my wife immigration visa case. My wife was interviewed in Lagos on August 25th for Cr1 visa and she was placed on administrative processing since then after summiting a contact list. Her case is still pending and no update. What is going on with our case? Please VO help us as this case is driving us crazy everyday. The agony of maintaining two homes and the emotional drains on us is overwhelming.

LGS2014612025

Thank you so much.

ChrisJulie

I can't comment on cases under administrative processing, unfortunately. All I can say is that I've asked the people reviewing it for an update -- but I likely won't be able to comment on their response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:47pm On Mar 24, 2015
tmeeto:

Thank you for your response. Please I have a few more questions/clarifications;

1. Where do i pay the $275 application fee ?
2. Will photocopy of the needed documents suffice (e.g photocopy of form I-551 or green card) ?
2. For "Proof that prolonged stay in Nigeria was for reasons beyond the applicant’s control" what kind of documents could i submit to support this fact?

Thank you once again and God Bless you.

regards,

The $275 is paid at the Consulate on the date of the interview. I should tell you that it's doubtful that your mother will qualify as a Returning Resident. We have very strict criteria for determining whether a prolonged absence was involuntary and beyond someone's control. She may need to go through the entire immigration process again herself -- that is, someone may need to file a new petition on her behalf, if she has a qualifying relationship with someone in the U.S.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:48pm On Mar 24, 2015
dharmzz:
Hiii,
please i need info on what documents i will need for applying for visa to attend a conference in california.
an invitation letter for the conference has been sent to me.

im a final year medical student and its a medical conference. willl i need account details of my sponsor or additional letters from school?

Sorry, these are questions for the non-immigrant visa thread.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:50pm On Mar 24, 2015
jogs:
Question for Visa Officer

My petition i-130 for my wife was approved for my wife, the case was transferred to the NVC for visa processing on March 9th. I am a US citizen, how long do you expect this process to take before she goes for interview at the consulate in lagos ?, we have a a 2 year old son together as well, i completed his registered abroad birth, he has his US passport but still in Nigeria with his mum, they will be travelling together once his mum receive her visa. i have a general idea about all the documents that will need to be submitted by her to the NVC and ultimately for her consulate interview as well. Is there anything I can do now to help speed up the process, like having her complete the medical now/ get the police clearance ready now. Also, i saw copies of forms that will be sent to my wife(beneficiary) from the NVC, one of the questions on that form was asking us to list the child/children that will be migrating with her, I am a little bit unsure of how to answer that question, our son has his American passport already so his situation is not attached at all with my wife's petition. Yes, Physically he will be accompaning his mum to the US

It takes at least six to eight months for NVC to process a petition, so your wife should not get her medical paperwork / police certificate now or they will likely expire before she has her interview. Yes, you should list your son as someone who will be migrating with your wife. Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:51pm On Mar 24, 2015
tonyphil:
Hello VO ....
I trust you are doing OK...
Just a few questions...
My wife filled her tax form 10EZ and she was instructed to fill single if her spouse was a non resident alien...I couldn't understand why but since that was the instruction...she did exactly that...
When she was to file her taxes..her accountant also told her to file as a single lady for tax purpose..
Just yesterday I stumbled on a page on visa journey..in which the author said a petitioner should never file as single as it raises a huge red flag...
So you see our dilemma... Should she go and refile as married or even as head of household as we now have a child together or it won't be a problem at interview?
Pls I need you informed opinion...
Thanks a lot

I'd say, as long as she can explain, it's fine. It would be a much bigger problem if she had listed someone else as her spouse!!! grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:52pm On Mar 24, 2015
tehfrhn786:
Hello Sir!!
I really appreciate you for taking out time for us and respond to all the questions we have about immigrant and non immigrant visas.
I have one quick question. I have filed for my husband I 130. Since i do not have any income as i have not been working since 2012 so what i did is got the verification of non filing letter from.IRS and submitted joint sponsor tax return , affifavit of support of mine as well as the joint sponsor. At this point, my concern wouls it affect my case as my uncle who is a joint sponsor has sponsored some relatives before as well among whch few have already became US citizens exept 3 who just immigrated couple of months ago and one more who has not applied for naturalization yet. their house hold size consists of 5 members including him. And his annual salary is 100k . Would it matter? I am waiting for an interview date.
An immediare response would certainly be aappreciated.

If your uncle has sponsored too many people for his income to support, we'll ask you for a new affidavit of support from a new joint sponsor. It sounds like he has sponsored quite a few, so maybe you should consider getting someone else to step in as joint sponsor at this point.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
usrun:
Hi Consular. Please, must the petitioner of F2B category be in the US at the time of Beneficiary interview. And also must the petitioner be in the US before the beneficiary migrate. Thanks.

Yes, if the petitioner isn't in the United States, we have no reason to issue the visa. The purpose of these visas is family reunification.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
Zariah:
Hi Visa officer, i have a question concerning the form I134 I'd love to have clarification on. My fiance and i are presently waiting on our NoA2 for a K1 visa. Thing is I receive a SSDi which I believe is suitable for Affidavit of support but the income from that does not exceed the HHS threshold for our family size. Also I have a job from which I get paid on the table, i don't pay tax on it. Adding this to my ssa exceeds the needed amount. Can I use this for AoS? or will using a Co sponsor be better. Also, i have read that the lagos embassy does not issue visas for Co sponsorship. I will be grateful if you can throw light on this. Bless you.

I'm not sure what you mean that we don't issue visas for co-sponsorship. Could you clarify?

Ir does sound like you will need a joint sponsor. We ask for documentation to support the I-134, and if you don't pay taxes on your job, you won't have the documentation to show us.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
shagisha:

Good day Visa Officer,
I have come again o.Please ,I have some questions pertaining to the answer you gave me before.
1.If I decide to wait till Im a citizen before the adoption does the 2years physical legal custody still apply?
2.Also, the child in question is my nephew.my younger sister have 3kids for a man who left her to wed another woman when she was pregnant with her third child.we have not set eyes on him since then and he has never bothered to come and check on them for four years now.We heard he is nolonger with the other woman.His mum and his step dad whom we know have since passed on.They have been living with my mum since the guy left and she cant afford to take care of them because she does not have a job.He seems to have disappeared into thin air and no one knows his where about.
I on the other hand have none and would prefer to adopt one of my own.so my question is,'does the child qualify for
adoption?'

1. Yes, you can only file the I-130 if you meet the two years requirement. Otherwise you will need to file the I-600A.
2. So your sister, the child's mother, is deceased and the father is not part of the child's life? In that case, yes, the child would meet the legal definition of orphanhood for the purposes of immigration.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
pinkyflexy:
Hello officer,I hv a question regarding my petition,my case is at d nvc waiting for an appoitment,here goes my question,I currently don't hv a job anymore I lost my job dis Febuary am hoping dis will nt stop d officer to denied my visamy wife is a USA citizen she petition for me.

Don't worry, your employment status is not relevant to your immigrant visa application.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
bukolacole:
Good day ma, please ma, my dad told me he had done his own DNA since last Monday in Houston, please when are we likely to be called to come for our sample collection at the consulate ma?. Thanks

When we receive your DNA kit, we will contact you and schedule you for the next available appointment.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:05pm On Mar 24, 2015
omidan21:
Dear vo
My fiancee sister filled the I-130 visa class for him last year. My fiancee says we can't do legal court marriage yet cause dis will nullify his chances.now to the big question.how long does it take for this processing. My fiancee sister is a citizen. Had a good job over there. I need to be sure abt how long one needs to wait

If his sister filed a petition on his behalf, that's an F4 visa, and it doesn't matter whether your fiance is married or not. The waiting time is the same either way. So tell that man to quit stalling and marry you o!

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:05pm On Mar 24, 2015
teeoba:
Dear VO,
How long does the Dropbox renewal take? My passport has been with the Abuja Office for nearly one month now. I havent heard from them or gotten a request for more information and DHL says it is still at the Embassy. What could be happening? Can I call the Embassy to inquire?
Thank you.

This is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:07pm On Mar 24, 2015
AREOLA:
Hi Visa Officer
Sure you are doing great.
I am back again in respect of my hubby case, hope you can still remember my case?
Uscis sent a mail today that they denied the waiver on the ground that he is a diversity visa applicant and that the fiscal year for dv has ended Sept 30th 2014.that dv Visa category has ended.
Now my question is this, should I go ahead and file for him?
If yes, will the issue of material misrepresentation not going to come up again when he is invited for interview?
Please I need your professional advice right now I'm so confused.i need you to advice me on the next step to take.
Thanks and God bless.

I was just notified of the waiver denial myself. Yes, you should file for him if you want him to join you, but he will still need a waiver.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
rayanah100:
dear visa officer,
my dad filled a pettition for me last year june, but till now he dint see their response they sent him an email yesterday saying that they denied the visa because my dad did not contact them four months ago, the issue is that they sent letters to the wrong post adress, and not to the adress of my dad. however, they gave my dad two options, either he should start the process all over again or he should reopen the case ofcourse with reasons, so my dad decided to reopen the case and the reason being letters were being sent to the wrong post adress. my question is if a case is reopened how long can it take to schedule for an interview

Actually, I don't know how long it takes when a case is reinstated. All I know is that that has to be much faster than filing a whole new petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
olatexas:
Dear VO,
Gud am.. Would u please tell us what Forms we need to file for k3 spousal. My fiancee was denied k1 lastweek in Nigeria. I'm a us citizen.

First you would file the I-130 for your spouse (CR1 or IR1). When that is approved, you can then file the I-129 to "jump the queue" and expedite as a K3. In my personal opinion, it doesn't make a lot of sense to expedite via the K3, because CR1s and IR1s are scheduled very quickly; at most, you'd save maybe a month.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Zariah: 1:16pm On Mar 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'm not sure what you mean that we don't issue visas for co-sponsorship. Could you clarify?

Ir does sound like you will need a joint sponsor. We ask for documentation to support the I-134, and if you don't pay taxes on your job, you won't have the documentation to show us.

I have read on websites such as Visa journey that certain US embassies (Lagos included) don't accept Co-sponsorship for K visas. That's why I want to know what your policies are on that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.