Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (134) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677192 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by veecee29: 4:19pm On Apr 17, 2015
tonyphil:

NVC sent a mail to my address in Benin city. Edo state..though it was addressed about 2 months earlier than the day I received it.. ....good thing is that the same copy was sent via email to my wife about the time it was addressed..
All other correspondence has been through email ..with the my wife and I getting copies ...
Hope this helps
Thanks Tonyphil,this really helps.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lindababy2u: 5:21pm On Apr 17, 2015
I'm sorry ma if my approach was bad. I've being able to get an answer to my question. I really do like the way you respond to questions that are being asked here. Keep doing the good work, remain blessed !

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Chile12: 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2015
Good day VO,
i dont know if this is the right tread to ask this question. But please i would like to ask if attestation of birth from NPC is ok for someone without a birth certificate to submit with AOS?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by etunza: 1:52am On Apr 18, 2015
Hi Visa Officer,

I would be glad if you answered my questions. I'm LPR currently residing outside the US. I'm on reentry permit. Now I want to file I-130 petition for my husband.
1) Should I be physically present in US for filing I-130?
2) Can I file I-130 while I'm on reentry permit?
3) I don't work since becoming LPR (I don't have big income) that's why I didn't file tax return and maybe I won't in 2015. Can I file i130 petition for my husband if I didn't file tax returns previous years (there will be joint sponsors)?

Thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Chile12: 5:48am On Apr 18, 2015
VO,
Wen you say certify a copy from local govt, do you mean request another copy from them? Someone said he submitted affidavit of parents but he was asked for attestation of birth from NPC at his interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by InsightfulTP: 8:08am On Apr 18, 2015
Hello VO,

1, When would nigeria become eligible for 5-10 years non immigrant visas For qualified applicants as determined by the consulate? I was of the impression that this would reduce the work load on you and your colleagues.

Highly impressed by the initiative to address concerns on this blog.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tmeeto: 12:27pm On Apr 18, 2015
tmeeto:
Good day Ma,

concerning the application for Returning Resident status (SB-1); do i submit the originals or photocopies of the required and necessary documents.
(e.g form I-551, green card, airline tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, school records, utility bills, etc.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Colemaxgrl: 12:22am On Apr 19, 2015
Hello Visa Officer. My Greetings to you ma'am. I have always follow up with the discussions, and your well tailored professional responses that you have been providing to various individual disturbing questions in this forum. Though i have never deemed it fit to ask or comment on any issue on here because i do not have any challenging situation beyond control so far. (All Praises To Jehovah God!) but i am moved with tears to write now when i stumbled on the sad news of your 'soon to depart' Nigeria. I must say you're a rare kind and of same breed with my lovely wife because of your great sense of humour, patience and your humility. I as a person, has really benefited sooo much beyond analysis from this forum by your great inputs and i know together with every members here, we will all greatly miss you! I, also, among many fortunate members on here, been praying hard to GOD to meet with you someday soon so as to share a lifetime memory of seeing you. But now that my case just been completed at the NVC, i praying even more harder to having an earliest interview date before your farewell bidding to Nigeria. Thank you so much forever! May Jah keep on replenishing your strengths and efforts to our all benefits and happiness!
Best Regards
David T. Maxwell
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:06am On Apr 19, 2015
Hi Ma'am, how are you? I just want to let you know my husband and I got married yesterday and it was successful. smiley

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mabor: 2:51pm On Apr 19, 2015
Hello ma. Please the ds 260 was completed this Saturday. I already sent the email to Lagos.gov on Thursday.I am hoping they can let him come in this week for the oath and finger print. Or can he come in on Thursday or Friday. Lgs2013683024. I can not thank you enough ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Gabbyking(m): 9:44pm On Apr 19, 2015
Dearest CO,
I have been going through this Trend for a while and you've been so sweet. It has already answered some of my questions. I got married to my wife who is a U.S Citizen in Nigeria. She filed i 130 petition and case received on 30th March,2015 and routed to Nebraska Service center. Notice of action in standard mail received. Now we are waiting for a snail mail for the approval notice sad. Please how long do you think this whole process is going to take, knowing that our case is a straight one. As I have no immigration or criminal issue and never married before? Do you also think we need to start preparing our AOS document?
Thanks for your time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by shamecurls(m): 11:39pm On Apr 19, 2015
Hello Madam,

I must commend you for the great job you have been doing on these thread. May God grant you all your heart desire. I will like to know if a US born baby has a legal right to medicaid. Its been a serious argument on different threads and will appreciate if you can help clarify. E.g If an immigrant mother pays all her delivery bills and applies for medicaid for the child in the US. As she breached any law?

I will appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 12:16am On Apr 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We give priority to spouses and children, fiance(e)s, and parents. The United States is one of the few countries that includes siblings among its immigration categories.
. God bless America for this. Good day ma, how was your weekend ma? Please my question is, let assume a Legal Permanent Resident, (Green Card Holder) of ages 5,6,7 and even 10, but not of full age (18 or 21) checked out of The United States for like 5 to 10 years and now wish to return to the States, will he need another immigrant processes to return or he can return as a returnee without new Visa ma? Thanks ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamoluwafemi: 5:00am On Apr 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

No bother. The officer handling the cases is looking into it....

Good morning ma, I received a mail from LagosIV to complete and submit the attached contact sheet sent to my email. Being that our marriage is 2 years now,can I request that our visa status be updated to IR1 instead of the CR1 with which we began with, and If yes, how do I go about it.

Many thanks and God bless you.
LGS2014572028, LGS2014625024 and LGS2014625026.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stevewale(m): 5:38am On Apr 20, 2015
Good morning ma. Hope you had a great weekend? Sorry to bother you mam.

My fiance's dad has gotten another sponsor for me and she already sent all necessary docs to us.

Please I will be submitting same along with my passport on Thursday.

Her gross for the recent years and tax used are:

2013 - $33,080.00
2012 - $38,028.00
2011 - $35,315.00

(SHE HAS JUST ONE DEPENDENT, HER 5 YEAR OLD SON)

Please hope I am fine and good to go with this

Thanks for your usual patience in answering our questions ... Good God will reward you ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ezychris(m): 7:18am On Apr 20, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It does not sound like you are eligible for an immigrant visa. Your aunt is not one of the relatives who can file an immigrant petition on your behalf. Furthermore, it sounds like you're planning to try to get a non-immigrant visa and misuse it in an attempt to remain permanently in the United States; if that's the case, you don't qualify for a non-immigrant visa, either, because you are an intending immigrant.

You might look into studying in the United States (and you can ask questions about student visas on the non-immigrant thread, https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening ). But you can't immigrate permanently to the United States just because your aunt lives there.

Thanks ma
Please ma, how then can I get an immigrant visa?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tmeeto: 7:44am On Apr 20, 2015
Good day Ma,

concerning the application for Returning Resident status (SB-1); do i submit the originals or photocopies of the required and necessary documents.
(e.g form I-551, green card, airline tickets, boarding passes, passport stamps, school records, utility bills, etc.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by cobless: 4:40pm On Apr 20, 2015
Chile12:
VO,
Wen you say certify a copy from local govt, do you mean request another copy from them? Someone said he submitted affidavit of parents but he was asked for attestation of birth from NPC at his interview.
vo can attestation of birth from NPC be used if birth certificate is lost.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ijenma1: 12:55am On Apr 22, 2015
Good morning VO, pls i will like to confirm this from you. i wedded last yr 29th Dec 2014, at Assumpta cathedral owerri. we were given a marriage testimonial by the church not a marriage cert. does the embassy accept this also . My husband has gone back to the states and already filed .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vickyc92: 6:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
good day vo pls im new on nairaland my questions goes like this,(1) my dad made a petition for a family based iv for me, my mom and my siblings then i was under 18 years and now am 23years so i want to know if im still eligible to travel,(2)my mom case seems to be treated faster than that of my siblings and i cos my dad says they want us to go for a dna test so i want to know if my mom will be interviewed before us as her own case is now with the NVC and ours is still in USCIS does it mean she will be given her visa before my siblings and i and will it affect us, finally im single but i have a baby girl will being a single mother affect my visa i mean adversely
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
salsera:
@Visaofficer
Hello, I followed this thread from the beginning was really impressed that the embassy decided to do this. It truly clears up a lot of things.
A quick question
For a single child of a visa lottery winner who is above 21 would it have been better to file I-130 when the parent was a LPR rather than US citizen.
I ask this because I want to know benefits if the relative files after getting US citizenship.
Does this reduce the waiting period?

It's probably better to file the I-130 when the parent is still a Legal Permanent Resident. That way, the visa category changes automatically when the parent becomes a citizen. This can be a disadvantage when the waiting time for F1s (unmarried children of U.S. citizens) is longer than the waiting time for the child of a Legal Permanent Resident -- but if the child gets married in the meantime, the child becomes an F3 (married children of U.S. citizens) rather than having to wait for a whole new petition to be filed.

F1s and F2Bs (adult children of Legal Permanent Residents) generally have around the same wait time -- but every once in a while, it's actually advantageous to be an F2B. Right now, for instance, the cutoff date for F1s is August 2007, whereas for F2Bs it's August 2008. It's a quirk of the system. So sometimes it's advantageous to ask the National Visa Center to continue to process you as an F2B even though your parent has naturalized.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:09pm On Apr 22, 2015
lindababy2u:
Hi Vo, kindly update me on the stage my approval is . My case number is LGS2015543003

Sorry, I'm not in the office for the rest of the month. You could e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask for an update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:11pm On Apr 22, 2015
halaphilip:

VO,

Please is it possible that I had paid the Immigrant Visa Fee prior to my interview? Could you help me check my case to see if I've paid already so I don't make the same payment twice.

Thanks.

Greetings!

I am selfishly taking some vacation and am unable to check that for you. But if you send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov someone should be able to let you know!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
wittfanintnig:
Good day Visa Officer,
I had my 1st visa interview in September 3rd 2014 and I was told by the interviewing Consular Officer that a decision can not be made on that day,that she needed time.Some days later I was given another appointment date,which came in and was handed a white paper stating that the CO wasn't convince that my marriage was bon fide and was told that our Petition will be sent back to USCIS.It's been 7 months now,the US consulate is yet to send back our petition.My wife and Myself have written the consulates on several occasions but we're giving different responses.and in some of the respond it's said that it will take between 90 to 120 days to return Our petition back,my question is:Why is our petition is still being held in the consulate when the decision had been taking over 7 months ago.There are some petitions that were denied after my interview but are now with NVC and USCIS.Please ma,i would really you to give us why is taken the consulate this to actually send the petition back,the fact we were denied is a serious psychological issue for us,Ma' this is my case number LGS2014573016.Thank you very much

I'll check on this when I get back to the office, I promise.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:13pm On Apr 22, 2015
tmeeto:
Good day Ma,

Greetings! Please submit the originals. They'll be returned to you at the time of the interview. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2015
Chile12:
Good day VO,
i dont know if this is the right tread to ask this question. But please i would like to ask if attestation of birth from NPC is ok for someone without a birth certificate to submit with AOS?

This is the right thread for that. Yes, an NPC birth attestation will be fine if you don't have an original birth certificate.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2015
etunza:
Hi Visa Officer,

I would be glad if you answered my questions. I'm LPR currently residing outside the US. I'm on reentry permit. Now I want to file I-130 petition for my husband.
1) Should I be physically present in US for filing I-130?
2) Can I file I-130 while I'm on reentry permit?
3) I don't work since becoming LPR (I don't have big income) that's why I didn't file tax return and maybe I won't in 2015. Can I file i130 petition for my husband if I didn't file tax returns previous years (there will be joint sponsors)?

Thanks in advance.

You should be physically present in the U.S. -- otherwise we have no reason to issue an immigrant visa to your spouse, as the purpose of an immigrant visa is family reunification. However, if your husband can convince the interviewing officer that you plan to relocate to the U.S. together, theoretically in that case we could issue the visa.

You can file the I-130 at any time, although USCIS will want to know what your mailing address in the U.S. is. You can file even if you haven't filed tax returns -- you're correct that you'll need a joint sponsor.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
Chile12:
VO,

An affidavit from someone's parents isn't going to satisfy our bureaucratic appetites. We do need to see something from the NPC, or at least from a local government agency. The local government agency should be able to reissue a document if the original was lost.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:24pm On Apr 22, 2015
InsightfulTP:
Hello VO,

1, When would nigeria become eligible for 5-10 years non immigrant visas For qualified applicants as determined by the consulate? I was of the impression that this would reduce the work load on you and your colleagues.

Highly impressed by the initiative to address concerns on this blog.

Thanks for your kind words! Our worldwide policy is to match the validity of our visas to the validity of the visas the host country government grants to us. Because Nigeria grants two-year visas to Americans traveling to Nigeria, we therefore issue two-year visas to Nigerians. If the Nigerian government granted us longer visas, I'm pretty sure we would be very happy to reciprocate. As you point out, that would reduce our workload, which is always a good thing.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:25pm On Apr 22, 2015
Colemaxgrl:
Hello Visa Officer. My Greetings to you ma'am. I have always follow up with the discussions, and your well tailored professional responses that you have been providing to various individual disturbing questions in this forum. Though i have never deemed it fit to ask or comment on any issue on here because i do not have any challenging situation beyond control so far. (All Praises To Jehovah God!) but i am moved with tears to write now when i stumbled on the sad news of your 'soon to depart' Nigeria. I must say you're a rare kind and of same breed with my lovely wife because of your great sense of humour, patience and your humility. I as a person, has really benefited sooo much beyond analysis from this forum by your great inputs and i know together with every members here, we will all greatly miss you! I, also, among many fortunate members on here, been praying hard to GOD to meet with you someday soon so as to share a lifetime memory of seeing you. But now that my case just been completed at the NVC, i praying even more harder to having an earliest interview date before your farewell bidding to Nigeria. Thank you so much forever! May Jah keep on replenishing your strengths and efforts to our all benefits and happiness!
Best Regards
David T. Maxwell

I think this is one of the all-time nicest messages I have ever received. Thank you. Sincerely. smiley

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.