Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (676586 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:07pm On Apr 23, 2015
oloriakinyemi:

Goodmorning vo,how was your weekend?please ma,my husband submitted our original birth and marriage certificate and other documents to the USCIS when he started the petition and we have not been able to get them back till now,he called them again last week and they told him the documents are with the NVC,he called the NVC yesterday they told him they have only the police certificate and that it's expired(though have done another one)what do you think we should do cos we would need the originals for my interview and secondly ma,please where can we get the new affidavit of support form?cos he called NVC yesterday to confirm the one he printed but they told him the one he printed it's the old one.LGS2014690030.thanks ma

You can bring photocopies to the interview and let the officer know that NVC has the originals. I tried to attach an Affidavit of Support form to this post, but my computer won't let me. angry You can find it and the instructions at http://www.uscis.gov/i-864 .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2015
mrsboss:
Hi VO,

I have a priority date of Aug 22 2013 (f2a category) which is about to be current in May. I am the beneficiary while my husband is the petitioner. Trying to get my docs together to send to nvc but our lawyer insists my passport must have at least a year's validity on it so as not to delay processing because we would still need to file an i601 waiver. I currently have 8 months validity left on the passport and the Nigeria Immigration Service won't renew any passport with more than 6 months validity. Can I still send a copy of my passport data page as is to nvc, and get another when or before my interview is scheduled? Would that delay or affect any process?

I think that the solution you propose is perfect. From our point of view, it won't delay or affect your processing. You may be told when you come to your interview that you'll need a new passport (if you haven't already obtained one); if so, firmly but politely state that you're aware of that but that you would like to proceed with your interview. Feel free to print out this post and show it to the staff member. It shouldn't be an issue, but, just in case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
Olatoki:
Good morning vo, I must Thank you for this opportunity given.. Thanks.. please I will like to know those documents needed to be send by my fiancee to me and the embassy filing for my immigrant. and also how many weeks would it take to be called for interview?? please I will be glad and appreciate if you can tell me all the necessary documents involve in this case so as to avoid mistakes and to have a successful immigrant visa application.. thanks in anticipation of your timely response.. N.b. she is US citizen.. Thanks and God bless once more

Once we receive your petition from NVC, we'll contact you and give you instructions for scheduling an interview date. I think there are interviews available a month out -- and people do cancel their appointments, so often you can get an earlier date than it first appears.

The "everything you need to know" handout for fiancé(e) visas is available at http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/Interview_Prep_Packet_K1-K3_SEP14.pdf .

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aburoy(m): 8:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
Good evening Madam,
Hope your day was stress free. please i want to know what the waiting time for F1 visa is like. USCIS approved my sister's i-130 not mine, though we were filed for at the same time and her priority date is february 2014. She got an approval probably because USCIS has a copy of her DNA result of some years back when she was a minor. Please we would like to know what the waiting time for an F1 visa is. Thanking in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:17pm On Apr 23, 2015
etunza:

Thank you very much for thorough answer. After filing I-130 I will have to wait several years before consular processing. Can I travel outside of the US with pending I-130? And I'm on reentry permit. Does being on reentry permit and being abroad for some time affects my case adversely?

During 2-3 years probably my address will change. Will I we be able to change address shown on petition during interview.

Thank you very much.

Yes, you can travel outside the U.S. with a pending I-130. Being on a reentry permit and being abroad will not affect your case adversely -- except that when it's time to adjudicate the case, at THAT point the officer will likely not issue a visa if you don't live in the U.S. or if you can't convince the officer that the two of you intend to return together.

You'll be able to change the address shown on the petition at the time of the interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:30pm On Apr 23, 2015
teefah80:
Thank you for your prompt reply.
My priority date is 03 March 2004.

This is in regards to an F4 visa. Right now, F4 petitions filed on or before June 15, 2002, are eligible to be scheduled for interviews.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:35pm On Apr 23, 2015
MarieEyre:
I want to be really clear on this disparity. Now I cannot apply for a fiance visa if I have done a traditional marriage ceremony which is not recognised under the Laws of Nigeria and of which no Marriage Certificate is issued. I also cannot apply for a spousal visa if I do not have a Marriage Certificate issued. The Marriage Act and Matrimonial Causes Act of Nigeria which both govern marriage practises in this Country do not recognise traditional marriage rites and thus both parties are not considered as married under the Law; thus are still regarded as Fiances until a formal/legal ceremony is conducted. Why has the American Embassy failed to understand this simple logic. Who then in Nigeria is eligible to file a fiance or spousal visa?

People are eligible for fiancé visas if they are engaged to be married, but have not celebrated a traditional, religious, or court marriage; and they intend to marry within 90 days of arrival in the United States.

People are eligible for spouse visas if they are married and can submit a marriage certificate. Marriage certificates are available from local government bodies if the couple performed civil marriage at a Marriage Registry. Traditional marriages may also be recorded with the local government and a certificate of marriage issued. Places of worship that are registered with the Nigerian Government may also issue marriage certificates for ceremonies performed there.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:36pm On Apr 23, 2015
shamecurls:

Thanks very much Madam.... I sincerely appreciate your response. So what i have deducted from your write-up with regards to my example is that the child has a right to access medicaid but the non-immigrant has to pay her bills in full and get her Zero-balance statement for visa renewal. I hope accessing a medic aid for the baby wont deny the mother a visa renewal?

Sorry for over emphasizing madam....I just want to be very sure without mixing up points.

Thanks in advance

I can't comment on the mother's situation. These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:38pm On Apr 23, 2015
AndyUA:

Dear VO,
Thank you for your responce!
I did apply for a b1/b2 visa this week.Seems like the interview went great,the VO in Kiev,UA was very kind and nice. That day I was told that my case will go through Administrative Processing. I realize I need to be patient and expect a result within next 60 days...out of your experience,do all applicants who violated immigration rules have to go through the same thing (administrative processing)??
Thank you

Not always -- it depends what information is available to the officer. Based just on what you've written here, that's probably what's happening in your case. Did the officer ask you about what happened in 2001?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 8:39pm On Apr 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

You can bring photocopies to the interview and let the officer know that NVC has the originals. I tried to attach an Affidavit of Support form to this post, but my computer won't let me. angry You can find it and the instructions at http://www.uscis.gov/i-864 .
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:45pm On Apr 23, 2015
halaphilip:
By the way, VO, are you vacationing here in Nigeria?

No, actually I'm celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary! cheesy

11 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
Aburoy:
Good evening Madam,
Hope your day was stress free. please i want to know what the waiting time for F1 visa is like. USCIS approved my i-130 and my priority date is february 2014

Right now F1 petitions filed on or before August 1, 2007, are eligible to be scheduled for interviews.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by teefah80: 8:50pm On Apr 23, 2015
[quote author=teefah80 post=33016843]Hello. I received an email from NVC in January that they had finished reviewing my case and will contact me when an interview had been scheduled for me. This is as regards an F4 application.
I am yet to receive an interview date and I had a new baby a month ago who is not on the application.
I will like to know the process involved in adding my new baby to the application.

I made an error earlier on. This is as regards an F3 application and my priority date is 03 March 2003.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
teefah80:
I made an error earlier on. This is as regards an F3 application and my priority date is 03 March 2003.

Ah, then your case is eligible to be scheduled for an interview and NVC will likely contact you with a date any day now!

We can add your child to the case. We'll need to know his or her name, gender, date of birth, and country of birth. Once the child is added to the case, you can access the online DS-260 and fill it out for him or her. (If you haven't filled out any online DS-260s yet, don't worry, NVC will contact you and explain soon.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by teefah80: 9:02pm On Apr 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Ah, then your case is eligible to be scheduled for an interview and NVC will likely contact you with a date any day now!

We can add your child to the case. We'll need to know his or her name, gender, date of birth, and country of birth. Once the child is added to the case, you can access the online DS-260 and fill it out for him or her. (If you haven't filled out any online DS-260s yet, don't worry, NVC will contact you and explain soon.)

Thank you again for the prompt response.

How do I contact you to add my child. As I don't want to contact NVC and have to wait for sixty days.

I have already filled the online DS-260 for all other parties.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
teefah80:

Thank you again for the prompt response.

How do I contact you to add my child. As I don't want to contact NVC and have to wait for sixty days.

I have already filled the online DS-260 for all other parties.

Thanks

Please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov with your child's name, date of birth, place of birth, and gender, and ask us to add the child as a derivative so you can fill out the online DS-260. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chimsyluv(f): 9:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Dear vo,good day,i have been scheduled for an interview, I have gone for my medical exam,av filled d DS 260 form,have paid for my IV fee,pls is dere any other thing I still have to pay or fill before my interview for an immigrant visa.thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aburoy(m): 9:36pm On Apr 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Right now F1 petitions filed on or before August 1, 2007, are eligible to be scheduled for interviews.

Thanks i appreciate. 2007 is a very long backlog of people angry. Before i can reunite with my family permanently, i can as well go for my masters degree and PHD elsewhere outside the US cos from what i have read so far i might not get into the US as long as an I-130 petition has be filed undecided.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 10:04pm On Apr 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

WHAT?!!! Wow! Happy for you and them. Wow! Golden jubilee.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Wow, that's truly amazing ma'am. You are indeed blessed. Most folks don't stay married that long this days. Happy Golden Jubilee Anniversary to your parents ma'am.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mrsboss: 11:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I think that the solution you propose is perfect. From our point of view, it won't delay or affect your processing. You may be told when you come to your interview that you'll need a new passport (if you haven't already obtained one); if so, firmly but politely state that you're aware of that but that you would like to proceed with your interview. Feel free to print out this post and show it to the staff member. It shouldn't be an issue, but, just in case.
Thank you. Would get on it now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AndyUA: 8:06am On Apr 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Not always -- it depends what information is available to the officer. Based just on what you've written here, that's probably what's happening in your case. Did the officer ask you about what happened in 2001?

Yes,she did! I was totally honest about this:
VO: what other countries have you visited?
ME: I have been all over Western Europe within last 8 years,but I have also been to Canada and as you probably already know in U.S (she smiled)
VO: when did it happen and did you have a u.s visa?
ME: it happened in May or June in 2001,and I had no U.S visa. I have crossed the border illegally and have been arrested 15 minutes after. After I was deported I was banned from entering U.S for 10 years.

That was our discussion regarding what happened in 2001...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stevewale(m): 10:27am On Apr 24, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Wow.. this is worth celebrating and taking days off to attend ... May God continue to keep them together in good health and strength IJN. Congrats!!!

Mam, I submitted the documents with my passport yesterday; hoping the person sitting in for you print/issue my visa shortly/soonest... Cant wait to go join my fiance, get married and start counting years of celebration like that of your parents too God's willing cheesy

Congrats and enjoy you vacation

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by shilling(f): 11:12am On Apr 24, 2015
I'm sitting in an airport in China killing time on Nairaland and just stumbled on this thread. I'm so impressed by the visa officers professionalism and general kindness.

I have no reason to use the US Embassy but I just want to say that you're doing a great job!

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MarieEyre: 11:14am On Apr 24, 2015
okay
VisaOfficer:

People are eligible for fiancé visas if they are engaged to be married, but have not celebrated a traditional, religious, or court marriage; and they intend to marry within 90 days of arrival in the United States.

People are eligible for spouse visas if they are married and can submit a marriage certificate. Marriage certificates are available from local government bodies if the couple performed civil marriage at a Marriage Registry. Traditional marriages may also be recorded with the local government and a certificate of marriage issued. Places of worship that are registered with the Nigerian Government may also issue marriage certificates for ceremonies performed there.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 11:43am On Apr 24, 2015
Dear VO, our lovely angel.......good morning ma, Best wishes to ur parents, for their 50 yrs marriage anniversary! How come u didn't invite us to celebrate together with enough champagne ma! Lol. Meanwhile, how do u know what is...no wahala in yoruba language ma! which language would u be interested in learning nigeria, if u have to learn ma? Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:02pm On Apr 24, 2015
AndyUA:

Yes,she did! I was totally honest about this:
VO: what other countries have you visited?
ME: I have been all over Western Europe within last 8 years,but I have also been to Canada and as you probably already know in U.S (she smiled)
VO: when did it happen and did you have a u.s visa?
ME: it happened in May or June in 2001,and I had no U.S visa. I have crossed the border illegally and have been arrested 15 minutes after. After I was deported I was banned from entering U.S for 10 years.

That was our discussion regarding what happened in 2001...

Unless there's something else derogatory in your history, my guess (based on what you've written here) is that you're going to be fine. Let us know how it turns out!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:11pm On Apr 24, 2015
MarieEyre:
I understand what you're saying but the point I am trying to make is that in most States of Nigeria no local authority issues a certificate of marriage if a traditional marriage was conducted. Only very few do so and by few I mean just 2 or 3 States. Any other document you receive are most times couched by families of both parties. I feel the Embassy has to sort this disparity out so people are clear as to which they need to apply for. A response from you will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

That's what this discussion thread (along with our other sources of information) is for -- to help people understand which visa category they should apply for. People who are traditionally married are not eligible for fiancé(e) visas, but people do need a marriage certificate to apply for a spouse visa. There's nothing to stop anyone who wants to immigrate to the U.S. from getting married before a registrar or in a place of worship recognized by the Nigerian government.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
sirk111:
Dear VO, our lovely angel.......good morning ma, Best wishes to ur parents, for their 50 yrs marriage anniversary! How come u didn't invite us to celebrate together with enough champagne ma! Lol. Meanwhile, how do u know what is...no wahala in yoruba language ma! which language would u be interested in learning nigeria, if u have to learn ma? Thanks

I wish I could learn all the languages! I tried to learn pidgin so I could speak to almost everyone, but sadly I never mastered it. We do have officers who speak pidgin quite well, as does our Ambassador! Other officers speak Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa. We do our best! smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:16pm On Apr 24, 2015
chimsyluv:
Dear vo,good day,i have been scheduled for an interview, I have gone for my medical exam,av filled d DS 260 form,have paid for my IV fee,pls is dere any other thing I still have to pay or fill before my interview for an immigrant visa.thanks

Do you have your police certificate, birth and (if applicable) marriage certificates, and affidavit of support?

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (223)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.