Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677185 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by spigrimace: 8:25pm On Jul 07, 2014
Hi, My fiance and minor daughter already have their K1 and K2 visas. Unfortunately, we never knew about the requirements of their home country (Colombia) regarding their requirements for a minor to leave their country. For background, the father fled once my fiance became pregnant. He has never been heard from again nor does anyone know his whereabouts. So my fiance went to the Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar (ICBF) in order to apply for the required permission that they can authorize for the child to leave Colombia. Although as of this writing, no one has opposed the child leaving Colombia, the process for receiving this permission from the ICBF is taking much more time than anticipated and we are quickly becoming doubtful that it will be received prior to the entry expiration dates of their visas. What do you suggest we do as the entry expiration date is quickly approaching. We are open to re-applying for the visas (and paying the fees and medical exam costs again). But we are worried that not using the original visas would lead to a denial in the case of a future application. Alternatively, what are the pros and cons with regards of trying to obtain another visa for the child in the future if my fiance comes now prior to the entry expiration date, without the child, and we wed within the 90-days of entry and she goes back to Colombia via advance parole when we apply for AOS? Our thought logic is along the lines of what is best for the child at this point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aekmanweb(m): 11:09pm On Jul 07, 2014
Dear VO, i would like to confirm when precisely a relative in the States with U.S Permanent Resident can start filing Immigrant application for any member of his/her family member and the procedures. Thanks in advance for your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamnewhere: 1:55am On Jul 08, 2014
[quote author=iamnewhere]
Hello sir,
I hope you will be fine and in good health. I have been reading people posts here and how you are trying your level best to help them out you deserve much appreciation for it. may god bless you for it.

I wanted to ask a question my self. I got married to my cousin almost two years ago n she is American national. now we have decided to file our case for immigration as I live in Pakistan at the moment. I wanted to ask that do I have to submit my educational documents too or they are not required in spousal visa secondly if I get the visa which it will be Ir1 or cr 1 as our anniversary comes on 29 dec
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 2:08am On Jul 08, 2014
Hi visa officer. Please what happens if the US green card petitioner dies? In this case, mother is the petitioner. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by famewo87(f): 4:50am On Jul 08, 2014
Hello VO, please what is the next stage after post decision status on USCIS page for a green card holder applying for the family.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:37am On Jul 08, 2014
aoddy0267:

ok fine but my cousin says it will be hard for him to get police certificare from the UK but he could only get police certificate from his home country Nigeria,he says he hasnt got any problem/trouble in UK but he's scared of going to the police to ask for the certificate since he has been living in uk illegally....And also said would it be best for him to receive mail from the USCIS/NVC in nigeria or uk because he isnt a citizen of uk??but if his fiancee has to use his nigeria address as where the mail will be sent,can he add my cousin phone number as the contact number in the petition while she put uk address?

Well, the issue from my point of view is that if he's living in the UK illegally, I need to know what other illegal activities he may or may not have been engaged in over there, and I probably won't be willing to issue a visa until I'm sure he has a clean record otherwise.

He can use whatever address and phone number he would like.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 7:37am On Jul 08, 2014
Good morning VO.I will like to have your invaluable advice on this issue.I have once asked question concerning how to go and see my wife who is a LPR in the state through non immigrant visa but I wasn't given a positive reply that I would be granted visa.
VO,here comes my question I have for you now.Which is more faster?
1.My wife to wait till she gets her citizenship and file for K-3 visa for me.
2.My wife to start the spouse visa right now that she has changed all her documents to my name but still LPR.

I learnt one of the process is faster than the other.I appreciate your good response to this.Thanks always.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:41am On Jul 08, 2014
AREOLA: Hello VO,
please i want to make enquiry if i need affidavit of support since because i am a married woman, also my daughter has the short form of birth certficate i want to know if i need to get a longer one for her.
Also presently i am not working does this have any effect on me though i am a graduate.thanks for your prompt response.
will appreciate if you can let me any other useful documents that is needed @ the embassy.we rae having oyr interview this week.
lest i forget can i bring in snacks for my little girl.
thanks and God bless.

It depends what kind of visa you're applying for. If it's a Diversity Visa, you won't need an affidavit of support.

As long as your daughter's birth certificate was issued by a government authority and includes the parents' names, it's fine.

If you're applying for a Diversity Visa, and you have at least a secondary school education, you do not need to be employed at present.

About snacks: It is probably fine to bring in, for instance, packets of biscuits / cookies or similar items. We would draw the line if someone unpacked a full meal that scented the entire waiting room and made a mess.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Jul 08, 2014
radensiddiqui:

Thank you so much...such a relief to know! I heard that the current wait time for Texas is about 7-8 years, then again just a speculation. Another question popped into my mind, I would like to apply for a tourist visa, again was thinking if my case mentioned earlier would have any adverse affect? Thanks a million for responding!

Some countries (Mexico and the Philippines) have longer wait periods than others because there are so many pending applications from those countries, but it doesn't matter what state the person in the U.S. is from. Right now sibling petitions filed before Dec. 22, 2001, are being interviewed for visas (except for people in Mexico and the Philippines).

Your earlier case may have a negative effect on your non-immigrant visa application. For non-immigrant visas, you do have to show that you're not an intending immigrant, and unfortunately your record already casts doubt upon your credibility from that point of view. Again, since you were a minor at the time, it's not as bad as it could be.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:47am On Jul 08, 2014
pepson:

when you say siblings petitions currently take around 12 years before the person concerned can be interviewed,does it mean that the person has to wait for 12 years in his country of origin before he can be interviewed?

The person can travel outside his country, but he won't be interviewed for the sibling visa until his case is current.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Jul 08, 2014
spigrimace: Hi, My fiance and minor daughter already have their K1 and K2 visas. Unfortunately, we never knew about the requirements of their home country (Colombia) regarding their requirements for a minor to leave their country. For background, the father fled once my fiance became pregnant. He has never been heard from again nor does anyone know his whereabouts. So my fiance went to the Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar (ICBF) in order to apply for the required permission that they can authorize for the child to leave Colombia. Although as of this writing, no one has opposed the child leaving Colombia, the process for receiving this permission from the ICBF is taking much more time than anticipated and we are quickly becoming doubtful that it will be received prior to the entry expiration dates of their visas. What do you suggest we do as the entry expiration date is quickly approaching. We are open to re-applying for the visas (and paying the fees and medical exam costs again). But we are worried that not using the original visas would lead to a denial in the case of a future application. Alternatively, what are the pros and cons with regards of trying to obtain another visa for the child in the future if my fiance comes now prior to the entry expiration date, without the child, and we wed within the 90-days of entry and she goes back to Colombia via advance parole when we apply for AOS? Our thought logic is along the lines of what is best for the child at this point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lo bueno es que se puede reemplazar una visa K1, si sea necesario. If your fiancee and her daughter are unable to use the visas before they expire, they can be replaced during the same fiscal year if the fees are paid again ($240 per visa at present). The bad news is that the fiscal year ends Sept. 30, so there's not much time.

Not using the visas would not adversely affect future applications, especially since the reason makes so much sense.

If your fiancee uses her visa and returns to Colombia thereafter, I strongly advise her to wait until her Legal Permanent Resident card has been issued, or she may be regarded as having self-deported. Not sure what you mean by advance parole and AOS in this context.

De todos modos les deseo todo lo bueno. Se que puede ser un proceso bien frustrante. Buena suerte!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 8:01am On Jul 08, 2014
@VisaOfficer

Sorry SpamBot got you grin, its all fine now.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:13am On Jul 08, 2014
justwise: @VisaOfficer

Sorry SpamBot got you grin, its all fine now.

SpamBot doesn't like Spanish! cool

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 8:17am On Jul 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

SpamBot doesn't like Spanish! cool

grin grin and other languages as well...trained to recognize only English language grin grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by d100: 8:19am On Jul 08, 2014
Dear v.o, i'm a lottery winner and my interview is days away. I made a lot of mistakes on my forms sent to KCC and when I contacted KCC to correct the errors, I was told that my form is at the embassy.
I have this questions for you....
1, I'm into sales and supply and work as a sales manager. But in my form I sent to KCC under occupation I wrote Infotech dealer and supplier. But when I checked o'net infotech dealer isn't listed there. Will this affect my chances to obtain a visa?
2, Or is there a provision on how to correct this error at the embassy just before my interview?
3, Do I have to fill another form and bring along with me to my interview?
Kindly advice....
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 9:09am On Jul 08, 2014
Good morning VO.Please l will like to have your
invaluable advice on this issue.I have
once asked question concerning how to
go and see my wife who is a LPR in the
state through non immigrant visa but I
wasn't given a positive reply that I
would be granted visa.
VO,here comes my question I have for
you now.Which is more faster?
1.My wife to wait till she gets her
citizenship and file for K-3 visa for me.
2.My wife to start the spouse visa right
now that she has changed all her
documents to my name but still LPR.
I learnt one of the process is faster than
the other.I appreciate your good
response to this.Thanks always.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:18am On Jul 08, 2014
aekmanweb: Dear VO, i would like to confirm when precisely a relative in the States with U.S Permanent Resident can start filing Immigrant application for any member of his/her family member and the procedures. Thanks in advance for your response.

As soon as the person has Legal Permanent Resident status, s/he can file for his or her spouse and any unmarried children. U.S. citizens can file for spouses, fiances, siblings, and married or unmarried children. Please see www.uscis.gov/i-130 for complete instructions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:21am On Jul 08, 2014
iamnewhere: I wanted to ask a question my self. I got married to my cousin almost two years ago n she is American national. now we have decided to file our case for immigration as I live in Pakistan at the moment. I wanted to ask that do I have to submit my educational documents too or they are not required in spousal visa secondly if I get the visa which it will be Ir1 or cr 1 as our anniversary comes on 29 dec

Good morning,

You won't need to submit educational documents for a spouse visa. If you've been married for more than two years at the time of visa issuance, it'll be the IR1; otherwise, it'll be the CR1.

Cousin marriages are not legal in all U.S. states. Your spouse may want to check the laws of the state she lives in before she files the petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:22am On Jul 08, 2014
VCTROKOYE: Hi visa officer. Please what happens if the US green card petitioner dies? In this case, mother is the petitioner. Thanks

Unfortunately, in most circumstances, when a petitioner dies, the underlying petition is rendered invalid. With luck there is another relative in the U.S. who can file a new petition for the beneficiary.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:25am On Jul 08, 2014
famewo87: Hello VO, please what is the next stage after post decision status on USCIS page for a green card holder applying for the family.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. I can tell you that once a petition is approved at USCIS, it's held until its priority date is current, and then it's scheduled for the next available appointment date at the overseas post. The National Visa Center generally notifies us a couple months in advance, so cases that are ready at USCIS today will likely have appointments here in Lagos in September / October.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:28am On Jul 08, 2014
bodescous: Good morning VO.I will like to have your invaluable advice on this issue.I have once asked question concerning how to go and see my wife who is a LPR in the state through non immigrant visa but I wasn't given a positive reply that I would be granted visa.
VO,here comes my question I have for you now.Which is more faster?
1.My wife to wait till she gets her citizenship and file for K-3 visa for me.
2.My wife to start the spouse visa right now that she has changed all her documents to my name but still LPR.

I learnt one of the process is faster than the other.I appreciate your good response to this.Thanks always.

It's quicker to start the spouse visa process right now. That way, if she becomes a U.S. citizen, the visa category will change from F2A to CR1/IR1 and you'll enjoy the earlier priority date.

The K3 is only available to people who already have approved CR1/IR1 petitions pending already, and it's not all that much faster than the CR1/IR1 anyway.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:31am On Jul 08, 2014
d100: Dear v.o, i'm a lottery winner and my interview is days away. I made a lot of mistakes on my forms sent to KCC and when I contacted KCC to correct the errors, I was told that my form is at the embassy.
I have this questions for you....
1, I'm into sales and supply and work as a sales manager. But in my form I sent to KCC under occupation I wrote Infotech dealer and supplier. But when I checked o'net infotech dealer isn't listed there. Will this affect my chances to obtain a visa?
2, Or is there a provision on how to correct this error at the embassy just before my interview?
3, Do I have to fill another form and bring along with me to my interview?
Kindly advice....

You can correct all the incorrect information when you come to your interview. If you do need to fill out another form, we can give you one here. This is a good time to mention that if an agent or tout filled out the application for you, it's okay to tell us so. It's not a disqualification, and it makes more sense to tell us the truth than to say things like (for instance) "I don't know why I wrote my birthday as Aug. 7, 1980, when I was actually born March 23, 1972. It's just a mistake."

I can't tell you whether you qualify or not without actually interviewing you. Just tell the truth and be yourself.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:56am On Jul 08, 2014
VisaOfficer: If your fiancee uses her visa and returns to Colombia thereafter, I strongly advise her to wait until her Legal Permanent Resident card has been issued, or she may be regarded as having self-deported. Not sure what you mean by advance parole and AOS in this context.

...Ah, you meant Adjustment of Status! In my little world, AOS usually means Affidavit of Support. cheesy
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 11:15am On Jul 08, 2014

VCTROKOYE:
Hi visa officer. Please what happens if the US green card petitioner dies? In this case, mother is the petitioner. Thanks

VisaOfficer:
Unfortunately, in most circumstances, when a petitioner dies, the underlying petition is rendered invalid. With luck there is another relative in the U.S. who can file a new petition for the beneficiary.
Thanks for your quick response. I have two brothers who are citizens and have good jobs. Does that change the situation of the beneficiary? Does the new petition mean that I have to have for another 7 or 8 years?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:36am On Jul 08, 2014
VCTROKOYE: Thanks for your quick response. I have two brothers who are citizens and have good jobs. Does that change the situation of the beneficiary? Does the new petition mean that I have to have for another 7 or 8 years?

Let me be sure I understand. Your mother, who was an LPR, filed a petition for you, but has passed away. Is that correct? If so, yes, one of your brothers will need to file a new petition on your behalf. The waiting time for petitions filed by siblings is currently around 12 or 13 years.

There are a very few exceptional circumstances in which USCIS will allow a family member to substitute for a deceased petitioner without filing a new petition, but it doesn't sound like your situation will meet their criteria. See http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/basic-eligibility-section-204l-relief-surviving-relatives for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2014

VisaOfficer:
Let me be sure I understand. Your mother, who was an LPR, filed a petition for you, but has passed away. Is that correct? If so, yes, one of your brothers will need to file a new petition on your behalf. The waiting time for petitions filed by siblings is currently around 12 or 13 years.

There are a very few exceptional circumstances in which USCIS will allow a family member to substitute for a deceased petitioner without filing a new petition, but it doesn't sound like your situation will meet their criteria. See http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/basic-eligibility-section-204l-relief-surviving-relatives for more information.
She was a citizen and the priority date is Feb 2008
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by GiftedHandz: 1:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Please have her e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and let us know that she is working on the adoption, so we can update her case notes. Once the adoption is full and final she should e-mail us straight away so we can take appropriate action. Let her know that we review all adoptions very carefully, so it's important that she does everything legally and does not cut corners.

Dear VO, thanks for your good job so far. My family visa was approved yesterday and I want to thank you for attending to all our questions here and giving us good guidance.

Another member of this forum has a similar issue like the one described by Adeboy007 above but in her case, her marriage has not yet produced any child but they have been on the process of adopting 2 children before their successful interview and visa approval. The question is similar to what Adeboy asked...can she still process the DV visa for the 2 children if the adoption process is concluded before the end of the fiscal year?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
tellwisdom:
gringrin..V.O, tell me what food you eat so I don't offend you with the smell of eba, cos I'm planning on taking you out for a dinner someday.

Chei! Abeg, who doesn't like the smell of eba?

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:20pm On Jul 08, 2014
VCTROKOYE:
She was a citizen and the priority date is Feb 2008

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are doing well.

You could contact USCIS and ask if a brother could substitute, but that's very rarely granted.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
GiftedHandz:

Dear VO, thanks for your good job so far. My family visa was approved yesterday and I want to thank you for attending to all our questions here and giving us good guidance.

Another member of this forum has a similar issue like the one described by Adeboy007 above but in her case, her marriage has not yet produced any child but they have been on the process of adopting 2 children before their successful interview and visa approval. The question is similar to what Adeboy asked...can she still process the DV visa for the 2 children if the adoption process is concluded before the end of the fiscal year?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Well, if the adoption is full and final, theoretically the children can be added. I say "theoretically" because we review every adoption case very carefully, and there may not be time to finish our investigation before the deadline. If by any chance the adoption is fine but the visas can't be printed in time, the parents can always file for them once they've settled in the U.S. (as long as the children have lived with the adopting parents for at least two years -- if not, they'd need IR-3 visas, which are somewhat more complicated but still obtainable).
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
VisaOfficer:

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . However, it's my understanding that there are no appointments available in July.

Thanks for replying my post, I have been to the non-immigrant thread and yet to get a reply. All I want to know is if there will be at least some available July slots, if possible end of July because my cousin wants to prepare a letter of invitation. I have told him to hold on because my appointment date is on the 7th of August and the wedding is on the 9th, I don't want that to be used against me during the interview. I would be very grateful if you can advise me on what to do next

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.