Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,516 members, 7,808,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677159 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sisit: 3:04pm On Sep 19, 2014
Good day VO. I am particularly impressed at how you give your precious time to us in this forum. You are really appreciated. I do have a question though, If a petition is being filed for me and my husband is a beneficiary as would be stated in the form. Would that affect his chances of renewing his b1b2 visa despite the fact that he is not the primary applicant?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:11pm On Sep 19, 2014
jennykadry:

Okay. Hey you. So I have this relative of mine in the UK looking at migrating to either canada or the US. I have asked this same question in nthe camadian thread some time ago but I might as well ask here.

She is the legal guardian of her sister's children. This relative of mine has got her eyes set on the US or Canada but permit me to ask you a question regarding this case:

Can she include this children in her application as dependents or she has to legally adopt them before she can include them?

I think USCIS would probably ask for proof that they're her dependents before they approved the petition -- but she could try including them and enclosing a letter explaining that the adoption is still in process. Or, depending on who the petitioner is and which visa category she's eligible for, she could always add them when she gets to the interview stage. Basically, any visa category that allows derivatives would allow her to add derivatives after the petition is filed. Immediate Relative (IR and CR) petitions don't allow derivatives, but most of the others do.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
jennykadry:

Pardon my ignorance. Is the waiting time for spouse of a legal permanent resident different from or same with a citizen?

It's different. There is no waiting time for the spouse or minor child of a citizen. Everyone else has to wait in queue depending on their visa category and the date their petition was filed. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html explains it fairly well.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:13pm On Sep 19, 2014
sisit: Good day VO. I am particularly impressed at how you give your precious time to us in this forum. You are really appreciated. I do have a question though, If a petition is being filed for me and my husband is a beneficiary as would be stated in the form. Would that affect his chances of renewing his b1b2 visa despite the fact that he is not the primary applicant?

It very likely would, because obviously he is an intending immigrant. It's not impossible to obtain a non-immigrant visa, though, if he can convince the officer that he does intend to abide by the terms of the visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:
It's different. There is no waiting time for the spouse or minor child of a citizen. Everyone else has to wait in queue depending on their visa category and the date their petition was filed. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html explains it fairly well.

Ah. Gotcha. My sister inlaw shouldn't have a problem then, her husband to be is a US citizen

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 19, 2014
Hey VO

Okay my ''quarter'' to last question for the night. We are presently reviewing the I-30 form. It only asks for her place of Birth which is Nigeria. During the whole process, is she in order if she applies with just her Nigerian passport? she is guesing she does not have to present her adopted country's passport.

If she applies with just her Nigerian passport but flies into the states with her Australian passport, will there be a problem? she is doing it innocently but you never know-a VO might think otherwise.

I am asking cos they haven't asked for country of citizenship in the form, instead they have only asked for country of birth
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The law does not always dovetail neatly with the complicated tapestry of real human lives. In this case, if the parent is not the biological parent, the adoptive parent, or the stepparent of the child, unfortunately there is not a basis for a parent-child immigration petition.

The good news (from a visa perspective) is that in most cases when the father is completely surprised by the DNA results, he was married to the mother at some point, so the child can qualify as his stepchild. Not always, but most of the time.

On the bright side, look at all the fraud and trafficking and smuggling that this policy prevents. If the law were less strict, any adult could file for any child and we'd pretty much just have to shrug our shoulders and issue the visa. I can think of plenty of reasons why that would be a terrible policy.
Okay...so the DNA from the mother needs to match so that the suppose dad actually becomes the step dad. Again, will the suppose dad ever know he's not the biological father via you guys?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by global2014: 6:39pm On Sep 19, 2014
Dear V.O.
Once more thanks for the opportunity you give us on this forum.

My family and I had our DV interview a couple of days and the V.O. told us that she is approving our visa and we should collect them on the 09 of October 2014 (she gave the same and even later date to other people before us).
But when I verified (19/09/14) our status on CEAC web site, it shows: ''Administrative Processing’’ and status updated date: the date of our interview.
note: I am in Cameroon
I wish to inquire the followings:
1) Is the time frame given to collect the visa normal (about 3 weeks from that interview date)?
2) Is the administrative processing showing on CEAC web site normal
Thank you for your answers
I am worried about this
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by otisd: 9:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The wait time is really around 12 years.

We only suggest DNA when there just isn't sufficient evidence that a qualifying relationship exists. If you can show that your sister is really your sister, the officer likely won't suggest DNA.

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Wifefo88: 11:53pm On Sep 19, 2014
Hey Visa officer ur doin a great job here...Just want to ask if a cousin sister of mine who lives in d states can file for me to come over n hw long does the whole processing takes..Hope 2 hear 4rm u soon.Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:42am On Sep 22, 2014
jennykadry: Hey VO

Okay my ''quarter'' to last question for the night. We are presently reviewing the I-30 form. It only asks for her place of Birth which is Nigeria. During the whole process, is she in order if she applies with just her Nigerian passport? she is guesing she does not have to present her adopted country's passport.

If she applies with just her Nigerian passport but flies into the states with her Australian passport, will there be a problem? she is doing it innocently but you never know-a VO might think otherwise.

I am asking cos they haven't asked for country of citizenship in the form, instead they have only asked for country of birth

She can use either passport. But when she enters the U.S., she should use whichever passport has the visa in it.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:45am On Sep 22, 2014
ferdimako:
Okay...so the DNA from the mother needs to match so that the suppose dad actually becomes the step dad. Again, will the suppose dad ever know he's not the biological father via you guys?

Generally the lab will already have informed him. We don't keep the DNA results a secret from the adults involved. We tell them face-to-face when we can, but if they call or e-mail, we'll respond.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Wifefo88: Hey Visa officer ur doin a great job here...Just want to ask if a cousin sister of mine who lives in d states can file for me to come over n hw long does the whole processing takes..Hope 2 hear 4rm u soon.Thanks.

Good morning,

There's no immigrant visa category for cousins; only for parents, spouses, fiance(e)s, children, and siblings.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:49am On Sep 22, 2014
global2014: Dear V.O.
Once more thanks for the opportunity you give us on this forum.

My family and I had our DV interview a couple of days and the V.O. told us that she is approving our visa and we should collect them on the 09 of October 2014 (she gave the same and even later date to other people before us).
But when I verified (19/09/14) our status on CEAC web site, it shows: ''Administrative Processing’’ and status updated date: the date of our interview.
note: I am in Cameroon
I wish to inquire the followings:
1) Is the time frame given to collect the visa normal (about 3 weeks from that interview date)?
2) Is the administrative processing showing on CEAC web site normal
Thank you for your answers
I am worried about this

I really don't know anything about Cameroon's time frames. You should contact them directly. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Generally the lab will already have informed him. We don't keep the DNA results a secret from the adults involved. We tell them face-to-face when we can, but if they call or e-mail, we'll respond.
Good. Wahala dey.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lee818(f): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2014
Hi V.O, I recently got an expedite from the consulate on the 16th. Although Nvc still has to complete my case, by early october. How soon after that can I schedule my appointment and medical? Thanks for your help in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:33am On Sep 22, 2014
lee818: Hi V.O, I recently got an expedite from the consulate on the 16th. Although Nvc still has to complete my case, by early october. How soon after that can I schedule my appointment and medical? Thanks for your help in advance.

NVC will schedule the appointment for you. I'd say you can go ahead and start your medical right away. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If it's just that the names are out of order, I wouldn't worry about it. He can explain at the time of his interview.
Hello V.O
Please i'll like u to shed more lights on one issue thats related to what u mentioned above.
What if the last name is wrongly spelt by NVC, e.g the original name is Richard but wrongly spelt by NVC as Richrrd. I hope there wouldnt be any problwm during the interview session. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 12:13pm On Sep 22, 2014
double post
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
Politico:
Hello V.O
Please i'll like u to shed more lights on one issue thats related to what u mentioned above.
What if the last name is wrongly spelt by NVC, e.g the original name is Richard but wrongly spelt by NVC as Richrrd. I hope there wouldnt be any problwm during the interview session. Thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lee818(f): 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
Thanks, for your quick answer. Do you know what medical office, is approved by the consulate and the amount please. Also I thought because I am an expedite case, I get to make the appointment, not NVC.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
lee818: Thanks, for your quick answer. Do you know what medical office, is approved by the consulate and the amount please. Also I thought because I am an expedite case, I get to make the appointment, not NVC.

No, NVC is expediting your case, but they still set the appointment date (unless you're a fiance(e)?). Our panel physicians set their own fees. Their contact information is:

Dr. Alexandra Anga
The Consultants Practice
The Children’s Practice
25 Raymond Njoku
Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria
Telephone: 01-461-1941
Cell: 0706-585-9845, 0809-354-0899
Email: childrenspractice@yahoo.com

Dr. Funmi Alakija
Q-Life Family Clinic
Plot 155A Prince Ade Odedina Street
Off Ajose Adegun,
Victoria Island Annexe
Lagos, Nigeria
Telephone: 01-804-2000, 01-726-2840
Cell: 0702-770-4055
Email: info@qlifefamilyclinic.com
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lee818(f): 1:55pm On Sep 22, 2014
Thanks vo, much appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by global2014: 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I really don't know anything about Cameroon's time frames. You should contact them directly. Good luck!

Thank you Dear VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 3:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Shouldn't be a problem. smiley
Thanks for the info.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

She can use either passport. But when she enters the U.S., she should use whichever passport has the visa in it.

Ah good. So she can apply for spousal visa with her Nigerian passport and VISIT on her Australian passport.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:05pm On Sep 22, 2014
jennykadry:

Ah good. So she can apply for spousal visa with her Nigerian passport and VISIT on her Australian passport.

Yup. Keep in mind that the immigration petition will still be visible when she uses her Australian passport to visit, so she might be asked to show a return ticket to prove she's not planning on just staying.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rasky4real: 4:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
dear v.o kudos to you ma, please i need to ask a question from you ma, i am one of the d.v winners and i will be heading to connecticut i bought ticket from lagos to new-york then another flight from new york to hatford, now i want to know where to submit my immigration pack is it new york or hatford as my point of entry? thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
rasky4real: dear v.o kudos to you ma, please i need to ask a question from you ma, i am one of the d.v winners and i will be heading to connecticut i bought ticket from lagos to new-york then another flight from new york to hatford, now i want to know where to submit my immigration pack is it new york or hatford as my point of entry? thanks

You'll likely be asked for it in New York. Congratulations!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Yup. Keep in mind that the immigration petition will still be visible when she uses her Australian passport to visit, so she might be asked to show a return ticket to prove she's not planning on just staying.

Ah. Yea for sure. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rasky4real: 6:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
VisaOfficer:

You'll likely be asked for it in New York. Congratulations!
THANKS MA

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aaa33: 10:46pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hello VisaOfficer I need an advice/views about what am about to post here. I applied for American student visa in 2002. Before then I had attend and written a SAT exams in Lagos. Its a company that we paid to then to write the exams . On the day of my interview in Abuja. I was asked every document which I presented until the lady asked me if I wrote SAT I said yes. She demanded for it and I presented it to her. After a close look at it she flared up that its fake and showed a colleague of hers and he confirmed its fake. She said she ain't gonna allow me enter her country and stamped my passport after inputting some stuff to her computer. Its been years since that happened. I already finished my bsc here in Nigeria and my Msc is in view presently. I have a paid employment and am relatively doing well. The issue now is was I banned? If I go to apply for a visa again will the last incidence crop up? I lost the last passport to fire and intend to go do anothe. Pls what's your candid take on this. Kind regards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.