Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,276 members, 7,807,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677060 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the registry certificate have to be signed by both spouses in front of witnesses? I'm glad to be educated on this issue. smiley

Yes they do.

This reminds me of a couple that did their wedding at the Texas/Mexico border.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I've read the officer's notes and I agree with the conclusion that your ceremony constitutes a traditional marriage. There is also independent evidence that the petitioner in this case refers to you as her husband, so it will be difficult to convince us that you're not married. The petition will be returned to USCIS with a memo recommending that it be revoked; since it's a K petition with a short period of validity, USCIS will probably close the case without contacting the petitioner. I'd advise the petitioner to file the I-130, Petition for Alien Spouse.

I've always been curious about this.

Do you, or someone else, reviews denials as a matter of policy? Just to sort of give the decision additional vetting?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 02, 2014
KweenCee:
Please pardon my irresponsible question,i mean no harm.All these questions come up because this distance is really too much for us.For over two years we've apart except for his visits.

Hang in there and do the right things properly. Always.

We were in your shoes a couple of years ago. My advice for him is to take the time to be prepared for your ultimate arrival.

I thought I was prepared but I wasn't. Apparently two small mismatched cooking pots and disposable cutleries and stuff doesn't make a kitchen.

If you two are married, there are things that he can be working on adding you onto, basically you can have a married life just separate by borders temporarily.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sisitodun: 9:24pm On Oct 02, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I'm curious myself to see what the waiting period is these days.

Hello!
Got my appointment today. My case was completed on the 29th of August, interview scheduled on 2nd of October (after 34 days) for 25th of November embarassed. So waiting time from Case Complete to interview is about 85 days. Phew!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 5:08am On Oct 03, 2014
Going to the guillotine today. I refuse to be scared because Jehovah ıs holding me by the hand. He ıs all I need. Later people.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:14am On Oct 03, 2014
buster: good evening vo. My mum is a green card holder but not yet a us citizen. Does she have to become a us citizen before she file for me.and also wats d waiting time for a mother who files for her son who is above 21 years. And i also want to ask if Hiv testing is compulsory during the medical exams. Thanks

Green card holders (LPRs) can file for their unmarried children of any age. Right now the waiting time for the adult child of an LPR is around seven years.

Being HIV positive is not an ineligibility. Testing for HIV is no longer required, but people who know they are HIV positive should go ahead and tell the panel physician so they can be directed to proper care in the U.S. They won't be barred from entry or quarantined or anything -- just told where they can get the medication and support they'll need.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:16am On Oct 03, 2014
CityNG:

I've always been curious about this.

Do you, or someone else, reviews denials as a matter of policy? Just to sort of give the decision additional vetting?

Yes, I review all denials and a percentage of the issuances. Someone reviews my decisions, too, when I'm the adjudicator.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Firewami: 8:59am On Oct 03, 2014
@VO.
Good morning, how is work and thanks for choosing to render assistance in this forum.
We've collected our visa, my question is on how to pay USCIS (green card) fee, the case number printed on our passport is a bit different from the one printed on the brown envelopes. i.e 2014AF***30 is printed on the 3 envelopes and on the passports we have 2014AF***3001, 2014AF***3002 and 2014AF***3003, my question now is which case number are we going to use to pay USCIS fee, the one the envelopes or the one the passport visa page?
Thank you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:22am On Oct 03, 2014
Firewami: @VO.
Good morning, how is work and thanks for choosing to render assistance in this forum.
We've collected our visa, my question is on how to pay USCIS (green card) fee, the case number printed on our passport is a bit different from the one printed on the brown envelopes. i.e 2014AF***30 is printed on the 3 envelopes and on the passports we have 2014AF***3001, 2014AF***3002 and 2014AF***3003, my question now is which case number are we going to use to pay USCIS fee, the one the envelopes or the one the passport visa page?
Thank you ma.

Greetings! It's not your case number that you'll need, it's your alien number. That's the 10-character code that starts with A followed by nine digits.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Firewami: 10:09am On Oct 03, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! It's not your case number that you'll need, it's your alien number. That's the 10-character code that starts with A followed by nine digits.

Thanks a lot for the swift response, have a great day and a nice weekend ahead.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by buster(m): 10:13am On Oct 03, 2014
thanks so much for d reply. It really helped. Just wanna ask wats d waiting time if a us citizen files for son above 21yrs or is it d same duration wit lpr
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:44am On Oct 03, 2014
buster: thanks so much for d reply. It really helped. Just wanna ask wats d waiting time if a us citizen files for son above 21yrs or is it d same duration wit lpr

If the son is unmarried, it's around seven years; married, closer to 11 years.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 11:57am On Oct 03, 2014
Hello VO. Today I was denied over nothing. I answered all the questions correctly and told the truth. And the visa officer said to come with the petitioner? She asked about my sister? Did she get to the US with a K1? I said i didnt know because i didnt. She kept hammering on how can i say i dont know? Yes my sisters hubby works for the consulate but cant i choose to achieve something on my own? She looked through all the emails and said they see a lot of emails like that! So what? The fact that others lied does it make my emails and whatsapp messages and calls all wrong?Those where the things I was asked to bring. She said to bring all supporting documents when coming! But I brought them all and she didnt return them to me what else does she need?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:03pm On Oct 03, 2014
islet: Hello VO. Today I was denied over nothing. I answered all the questions correctly and told the truth. And the visa officer said to come with the petitioner? She asked about my sister? Did she get to the US with a K1? I said i didnt know because i didnt. She kept hammering on how can i say i dont know? Yes my sisters hubby works for the consulate but cant i choose to achieve something on my own? She looked through all the emails and said they see a lot of emails like that! So what? The fact that others lied does it make my emails and whatsapp messages and calls all wrong? She said to bring all supporting documents when coming! But I brought them all and she didnt return them to me what else does she need?

You were not denied. The case is still open, pending more information; specifically, the officer asked to interview the petitioner the next time he visits Nigeria. We can't insist that a petitioner come, but it would be very helpful if he did. Please feel free to contact us directly at LagosIV@state.gov if you have more questions about the case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 12:06pm On Oct 03, 2014
Apart from the petitioner what else is needed? I gave her all the documents I have. She didnt take some. And they just called my in-law and told himm i was looking for a visa. Do they have a right to divulge information like that? I am a very private person.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:09pm On Oct 03, 2014
islet: Apart from the petitioner what else is needed? I gave her all the documents I have. She didnt take some. And they just called my in-law and told himm i was looking for a visa. Do they have a right to divulge information like that? I am a very private person.

We do sometimes interview family members, neighbors, etc. when researching cases.

My advice is to speak with the petitioner and see when he next plans to visit Nigeria. If that can't be arranged, please let us know at LagosIV@state.gov and we will see what additional steps can be taken.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 1:31pm On Oct 03, 2014
Yes i will get him to come. Another waste of the funds we dont really have a lot of. Im very bitter right now. That was an invasion of my privacy. Now I see why people prefer to lie. Now the whole family knows I went for a visa interview and wasnt given one. And guess what? A lot of chaos just resulted from reporting me. My in-law does not have to know about my relationship. Its mine. A lot of drama.

I dont need anyone to help me get a Visa. Its me, my fiance, God and the truth always.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 03, 2014
islet: Yes i will get him to come. Another waste of the funds we dont really have a lot of. Im very bitter right now. That was an invasion of my privacy. Now I see why people prefer to lie. Now the whole family knows I went for a visa interview and wasnt given one. And guess what? A lot of chaos just resulted from reporting me. My in-law does not have to know about my relationship. Its mine. A lot of drama.

I dont need anyone to help me get a Visa. Its me, my fiance, God and the truth always.

I sort of understand your feelings but you can thank those Nigerians who have abused the system in the past and led to extreme vetting of applicants. A Norwegian or Swiss may not have to go through the same process you are going through.

I wished that I was given an opportunity like this to attend another interview when we were originally denied, as I would have hopped on the first available plane so I could be there instead of having to refile and waiting another 9 months.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jusugo92(m): 2:44pm On Oct 03, 2014
islet: Hello VO. Today I was denied over nothing. I answered all the questions correctly and told the truth. And the visa officer said to come with the petitioner? She asked about my sister? Did she get to the US with a K1? I said i didnt know because i didnt. She kept hammering on how can i say i dont know? Yes my sisters hubby works for the consulate but cant i choose to achieve something on my own? She looked through all the emails and said they see a lot of emails like that! So what? The fact that others lied does it make my emails and whatsapp messages and calls all wrong?Those where the things I was asked to bring. She said to bring all supporting documents when coming! But I brought them all and she didnt return them to me what else does she need?
Count your blessings and be happy,some don't have the opportunity you have.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ynkthomas: 3:10pm On Oct 03, 2014
islet: Going to the guillotine today. I refuse to be scared because Jehovah ıs holding me by the hand. He ıs all I need. Later people.

It is only a temporary set back...it will surely turn to favor you eventually in Jesus name.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 3:28pm On Oct 03, 2014
I am thankful to God and recognize that this chance for a defense is rare. Thanks for all your response. Thanks VO. I guess i was just going through a hard time now. All calmed down.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 03, 2014
islet: I am thankful to God and recognize that this ıs rare. Thanks for all your response. Thanks VO. I guess im just going through a hard time now.
Calm down sis, be optimistic. The VO said they didn't deny your visa but only reviewing it, stay positive so long as you were truthful and going to US for a genuine reason.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by puneethforu: 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2014
Hi Officer,

I found this forum online and saw that responses are quick I am not sure if it is particular to a country , but I have a question from a friend of mine. She is an Indian National on F1 visa right now. Her husband is travelling on B1. so she wants to get her son (4 years old) on F2. Now the question is since both the parents are not in the hom country. How to obtain visa for the kid. The grandparents are taking care of the kid right now.

Please provide your expert advise on this as she doesnt want to take chances on her kid

Puneeth
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by colored(m): 8:49pm On Oct 03, 2014
hi U.S consular officer. my dad is going to america for a surgery in the coming months and he intends that i accompany him. so now i would be glad if you could let me know what visa that'd be appropriate for me. thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ynkthomas: 2:34am On Oct 04, 2014
The VO will answer questions from Monday through Friday. So for those whose questions were not answered before the close of business on friday wait till monday. Happy weekend everyone. You will get there in Jesus name, amen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by queenblack(f): 3:08am On Oct 04, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Could you send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov with the case number so we can check on it? Thanks!

Good news! My fiance was called this week to do another Medical exam because the first one expired two months after his interview. He was asked to return to the embassy next week after the Muslim holiday in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tonyphil: 6:14am On Oct 04, 2014
Hello VO,
Please I had appreciate for you to recommend between a. Cr1 and a k3 based on the speed of processing and which has better visa approval chances. Can my wife be allowed to d interview with me? Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kioh: 11:40am On Oct 04, 2014
Hi VO
My mum and 2 younger sisters won the DV lottery and left for US in April, they have also gotten their greencards and are all currently working. My elder sister also left in August for her master am left in Nigeria because of my job. Now I have missed them so much and would love to visit them this December. My mom just got a place of her own. The question is
1. Is it too early for my mom to invite me?
2. If not, how do I go about it? And what are the required documents that I need?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by BG89: 5:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
Dear visa officer ,

I have a question about the dv lottery 2016. I have successfully completed G.C.E O/L (10 Subjects) Sri Lanka in 2006. I sat for G.C.E A/L Sri Lanka in 2008 but only completed one subject (Chemistry). Then I came to Australia and completed a 2 year Advanced Diploma of Engineering (Robotics and Mechatronics) in 2012 December from Swinburne University of Technology , Australia which advanced me into the second year of Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics and Mechatronics) in 2013. I'm due to finish this in 2015 December.

I am a bit confused about the minimum education requirement for the application for Sri Lankans. Because in the application form it says the minimum education requirement is to have a high-school dip or equivalent but then it also says vocational school and equivalence degrees are not accepted . I am still not sure if , by "minimum requirement is a high school degree" whether they are asking everyone to have a compulsory US high school degree or an equivalent qualification in their own country....Or by minimum education requirement if they mean that the high school degree is just the basic requirement for someone to apply . which can be over ridden by a tertiary qualification higher than a high school degree qualification such as a Diploma , Advanced Dip, Associate Dp , Bachelors Degree. It's confusing.

My question is , I would like to know if I am eligible to apply using my Australian Advanced Diploma ? without having to provide my Sri Lanka high school degree as it does not fulfil 3 G.C.E subject requirement and I do not have two year work experience requirement to apply through a job experience.

More details about the Australian Advanced diploma can be found on - http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf/in-detail/aqf-levels/

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/shado/Representation/Government%20Submissions/2010/australian_qualifications_framework_aug_2010.pdf

Much appreciate if you can help me with this question. Kind Regards smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:23am On Oct 05, 2014
puneethforu:
Hi Officer,

I found this forum online and saw that responses are quick I am not sure if it is particular to a country , but I have a question from a friend of mine. She is an Indian National on F1 visa right now. Her husband is travelling on B1. so she wants to get her son (4 years old) on F2. Now the question is since both the parents are not in the hom country. How to obtain visa for the kid. The grandparents are taking care of the kid right now.

Please provide your expert advise on this as she doesnt want to take chances on her kid

Puneeth

Sorry, I can only address immigrant visa questions. Please ask my colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:23am On Oct 05, 2014
colored:
hi U.S consular officer. my dad is going to america for a surgery in the coming months and he intends that i accompany him. so now i would be glad if you could let me know what visa that'd be appropriate for me. thanks!

That would be a B1/B2. Good luck!

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.