Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677150 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bambamzzzz: 1:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
Bambamzzzz:
Hello VO,
Please i need you to help me out on this,my ex wife won visa lottery in 2009 and we were scheduled to go for interview in that same year November but things did not work out in our marriage so we went our separate ways and got divorced before the interview date so both of us did not go for the interview.
I re married in 2010 and still happily married with my new wife so now me and my new wife want to apply for b2 visa and i know the consular will see it on there system that am meant to come for an interview in 2009 but i did not please what am i supposed to do? and i and my new wife has traveled together for more than 7 times to different countries in the europe and am currently on a tier 4 visa in uk doing my master and my wife too is here a my dependant,pls respond to my question as i have divorce letter with me and my ex wife did not make use of her visa lottery
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tayoamos: 2:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dear vo,
I have a valid b1b2 visa and will expire in 2016. Visited USA twice already, but I just realised I will like to run my masters in the USA. Considering that my current b1b2 will expire in 2016. How can I go about an f1 visa to study? Can I apply for it from here in abuja despite the fact that I have a valid b1b2 visa
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tebohst(m): 9:00pm On Oct 14, 2014
VisaOfficer:
Good morning, everyone! It looks like our previous thread was a casualty of the recent data loss, so I'm starting a new thread here. Nairaland, I missed you and am glad you're back!

I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria, primarily handling Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas (IVs and DVs). The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum for your questions about these types of visas. My colleagues and I will make every effort to answer all questions within two business days.

Please note that we cannot answer questions about specific cases, except as based on the information provided here in this discussion thread. Any responses in this forum are not to be taken as legally binding, as they will be based only on what you tell us in your questions, not on the information in any actual case. While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

We may not be able to respond to every post in this thread, and we will not answer abusive posts. Also, please don't send me private messages -- I don't even read them. If you need personal attention, please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov.

There is a separate thread for Non-Immigrant Visa Questions, also handled by U.S. Foreign Service Officers serving in Nigeria, at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Please use this thread right here solely for questions about Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas.

All the best,
VisaOfficer
Hi Visa Officer. I need your assistance. My fiancee is a DV 2015 selectee from Cameroon with CN 19***. Recently, the person whose address we provided on DS260 told us that USCIS called and asked her to pay $200 for a background check on her. Please does that ever happen? Everyone I talked to has never heard of such a think. What about you? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:26pm On Oct 14, 2014
tebohst:

Hi Visa Officer. I need your assistance. My fiancee is a DV 2015 selectee from Cameroon with CN 19***. Recently, the person whose address we provided on DS260 told us that USCIS called and asked her to pay $200 for a background check on her. Please does that ever happen? Everyone I talked to has never heard of such a think. What about you? Thanks.

Email: LagosIV@state.gov, before making any payment. I'm not sure when VO will log on here again.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Joboms(m): 12:20am On Oct 15, 2014
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 15, 2014
justwise:

Email: LagosIV@state.gov, before making any payment. I'm not sure when VO will log on here again.

Oh dear! shocked
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by uddy101(f): 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
Good day All,
wat does it take for to relocate to the US or Canada.
I mean in terms of visa. What are the requirements. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eagle13(m): 9:43am On Oct 16, 2014
Hello VO
glad to have u here.I have an event to attend in d
US which has been paid for including d visa fee
but I can't get an appointment date b4 d event wat
can I do?n d event is coming up on d 25-28 of
this month.
your advice is urgently needed pls
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hollykomz(m): 11:05am On Oct 16, 2014
Morning VO,
Please I want to ask for information on CR1/IR1 visa.
My case is documentarily completed at NVC and my
documents are already been sent to your office for interview 3days ago.
1.Please how many days/weeks will it take to schedule interview after you received the package?
2.how many days/weeks will it take to have the interview after I received letter of interview from your office?
3.Please can I have my interview by November 2014? if not please when?

Thank You.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Joboms(m): 8:21am On Oct 17, 2014

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by matador22: 6:13pm On Oct 17, 2014
What will happen if I already have a visa to enter to the US but I was in the US previously, can someone report me?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by gabriellle: 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2014
Dear VO,

I have applied for an immigrant visa for my mother and we are nowhere near completing the process; AOS and Civil documents are still under review at the NVC.

However, because of health reasons, (having a C-Section next week), I was wondering if we can apply for a B1/B2 visa for her to come temporarily to help me when I have the baby. Will this be feasible? I have read its really hard to get a visitor visa when an IV visa is pending but I really need her assistance as I will be alone with the baby. Can this visa fall under the emergency health reason category? Please let me know what to do.

Thank you very much.

Best,
Gabriellle
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imhassan: 10:37pm On Oct 20, 2014
hello sir , thank u very much for helping us , i have a question please , my visa type is CR1 and during my interview the officer told me im approved ,but cant issue your visa until u send me a joint sponsor , and put me in administration process too , so i barley got a joint sponsor , his income up to 80,000$ annually ,so my question is that does the embassy run a credit check or not ? just his credit is messy a little bit and if they wont accept him so does the embassy will give me anther chance to find anther one or just refuse the case ? and thank u very much for your time .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by smokey12345: 12:03am On Oct 21, 2014
Hello,

Id love to present my case.. I get married to an american citizen which is a white lady January this year but she has not been working for the past 3 years because of her mums health so its not easy for her to be my sponsor so as to apply for immigrant Visa..I am an Architect but i work on a contract basis with 2 companies but the salary for the 2 companies amounts to 1.5million naira annually besides that i have my own personal freelance works but they always pay me with checks.

Do you think with that i can easily apply for Tourist/ visit so as to see her and maybe then there is something we can do when i get there..

Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ladyennie: 9:15am On Oct 21, 2014
Please am a business lady, traveled to neighbouring countries few times and also to dubai 2 times, feels like going to the US only for 2 weeks break by February, please any advice on the procedures and all documents I will be needing, because 2 yrs ago when I applied I was denied although then I have never been to dubai. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:48am On Oct 21, 2014
Hi everyone,

Sorry about the silence last week - I was having log-in problems. I'll answer everyone's questions, starting with the earliest and working my way to the present. Thank you for your patience! Here we go.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:50am On Oct 21, 2014
printemps:
Greetings Consular Officer,my wife & i would please want you to confirm for us if the contact sheets have been received.I emailed LagosIV@state.gov but they couldn't confirm.We just want to be sure of your reciept of these important sheets.Case# LGS2013530028.Sincerely yours.-Akinduro S Rufus.

Greetings and apologies for the late reply! Yes, the contact sheets were received. Thank you so much!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:54am On Oct 21, 2014
desiJatt:
@ hello sir, what are the chances of getting an immigrant visa after I-130 is approved by uscis??what is the percentage of denials compared to non immigrant visas ?what type of denials are most common? nd is it common for a visa officer to return an petition back for revocation?

Greetings! The chances of being issued an immigrant visa after the I-130 petition are very high. For biological relationships (parents, children, siblings), as long as you're really related and don't have any ineligibilities, you'll likely receive a visa. For spouse and fiance relationships, you do have to convince the officer that the relationship is bona fide, but even then, the majority of applicants do receive visas. Sending a petition back with a recommendation for revocation happens frequently, but considering we're the busiest Consular post in Africa, the overall percentage of returns is actually lower than at many other posts.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2014
goodmaya:
Good morning visa officer.

I am wondering if I should wait or fill another application form.

First let me thank you for all the information you provide here!

Concerning my case, My parents who are us citizen have applied for me as an unmarried daughter.

My I-130 have been approved a couple of monhs now.

So i will just have to wait for my priority date to come through, i think not before 2 or 3 years.

Now there is this guy i met in the usa who fancies me, i like him also but we don't know each other that well, as we met each other only a couple of time.

He is willing to marry me and wants to apply for a fiancé visa.

I am wondering if i should accept because he is a nice guy.

but if i do accept, what happens with my visa which is pending at the NVC?
am i allowed to marry a us citizen while my case is pending?

and in case, our marriage doesn't go through it means that i will lose my first place I-130?

so my question is, should i accept to let him fill a fiance visa for me? or would my case be complicated?

my first will is to be with my parents who are getting old, and love come after.

thank you so much for reading me cheesy

Hello and apologies for the tardy reply.

You can have two petitions going at the same time. The K (fiance) visa is generally much faster than the F1, and it's completely legal to immigrate to the U.S. as a fiancee and get married while you have an I-130 (F1) petition pending. If for any reason the marriage doesn't work out, then you still have the I-130 waiting for you. Marriage would change you from an F1 to an F3 as far as your parents' petition for you is concerned, but you'd go back to an F1 if you got divorced, which I hope for your sake is not what happens. So even if the marriage didn't work out, it wouldn't make you lose your place in line for the other petition.

(Technically, if you're issued a K1, someone somewhere ought to notice eventually that you have an F1 petition out there and administratively close it at some point; but that takes so long to happen that, frankly, yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:04pm On Oct 21, 2014
reeq:
Greetings VO
Happy holidays..
I passport expiring FEB 2015,My interview(K1) slated for next month. Do I get a new passport ASAP or wait till this one expires
What's you advise?
Thanks..#blessed

Either way is fine. You can either get a new passport now, or wait and let us tell you you need one when you come to your interview. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:06pm On Oct 21, 2014
Oluseyialao:
Good afternoon. I need your advise on how to go with my k1 visa. My fiancé just came to visit me in Nigeria and she wants to file a K1 visa for us, what are the chances of getting a k1 visa and what am i suppose to provide as the person here in Nigeria?? Also, she has a good job. But she stays with her mum and plans to move out by march to her own place . Is she eligible to file now considering the fact that she's not on her own? I will really appreciate your quick response . Thank you Oluseyi

Unfortunately my response is neither quick nor very useful. There's no way to tell based on what you've written here what your chances are. We'd need to know a lot more about your relationship in order to make that determination. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
petismine:
Hello VO. i went for immigrant visa interview with my 2 kids and was asked to do DNA. immediately we got home, my husband called the DNA center in the States and gave them all necessary information and made part payment online with his credit card. The test kit for my kids was sent the following day which is 19th of Sept. The kit arrived lagos 24th of Sept. my husband swab has been taken on the 3rd of this month. It's exactly 2weeks today since test kit arrived lagos and yet we've not been contacted to come for swab collection. we started this whole journey in June 2012. Over 2years. I want to know how long the whole DNA process takes and if there's any way i can help hasten it, so that I'll get it done with. raising our kids alone without my husband is affecting me alot. Thank you.

Greetings! Have you heard from us yet? If not, please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and ask us to schedule your DNA collection appointment. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:10pm On Oct 21, 2014
islet:
Well I dont know about the other Nairalanders but I miss your presence here VO! Come back please. Somehow Nairaland suddenly is so dull without you jor. Yes you need holiday from work but em....em... not from Nairaland. Even if you are holidaying, you can sneak tongue and log on to Nairaland for 10 minutes. Lol. Travel section is boring without your response VO. Come back puleeeeze.

I have a confession to make. When I'm on holiday, I miss you too. I was really frustrated last week when I couldn't log on. Glad to be back!!!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:10pm On Oct 21, 2014
BG89:

Dear VO , Thank you for your prompt reply, now it makes sense to me as for why they strictly ask for a high school education or equivalent , I hope the CO accepts my qualification...fingers crossed. There is one more question is it compulsory to attend the interview at the country that I nominated in the application ? or is it possible for me to attend the interview at the US embassy in Australia. I am doing my Bachelors in Australia so I live here with a student visa.

You can ask for your case to be transferred to the post where you reside. I'd say send an e-mail to the good folks in Australia and ask them what their procedures are.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:15pm On Oct 21, 2014
desiJatt:
dear vo,i read on web that the approval time of I-130 depend upon various factors nd one factor is the complexity of the case...more the complex case more time will it took to be approved/denied now my question is that i think consular officers dont have as much time as uscis they have to act fast now how do they reach the verdict soo fast or do you recieve a memo about the particular case from uscis whn you receive petition from visa center??can uscis approve a case just to be denied by visa officer??

thanks smiley

When USCIS approves a petition, they're saying "We believe you have all the documents you need to adjudicate this case." Then they send it to us, and we evaluate the documents and interview the beneficiary to see if the beneficiary actually qualifies and is eligible for the visa. So, yes, we can decline to issue a visa after the petition is approved. When that happens, we send the petition back to USCIS with an explanation of our findings. USCIS (usually) gives the petitioner a chance to respond, and then they either revoke the underlying petition or send it back to us for further processing.

We're faster than USCIS because we deal with fewer cases per day, and all our cases are from Nigeria. Well, sometimes we see people from other countries who happen to be residing in Nigeria, but you know what I mean. Meanwhile, USCIS is dealing with tens of thousands of cases from all around the world. Their lives are more complex than mine is, so I'm a little faster. Usually.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:16pm On Oct 21, 2014
olasberguk:
hello nice work you doing here, my question is how important is travel experience when apply for a visit visa to USA?

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . (Also, it's not that important unless it's a pattern of BAD travel.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:17pm On Oct 21, 2014
Gbemmy121:
Hello VO.

I am new on Nairaland and i have just been given an admission on to study Computer Science in the Us.
I have so many things bordering my mind and i dont know whom to ask.
I am a 30 year old guy and i think my age will disturb me to study as a freshman in the US.
Also the my school does take it compulsory for me to Take Toefl and SAT but some says that it is compulsory for take them.
Please shed some light on this issue.

Thanks

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:17pm On Oct 21, 2014
iykedare:
Hi visaofficer, please I need your help. My date of birth on my waec certiificate is wrong.I have tried all I can do to see if WAEC can correct this. Unfortunately my secondary school has packed up and there is no way I can get them to help me sort it out. WAEC too are not helpful. Will an affidavit help me in this case and will I have problem getting Visa with just an affidavit? By the way,I have my original birth certificate. Kindly help me

This happens all the time, so I wouldn't worry about it. It may lead the officer to ask some additional questions, but it won't be a disqualification. Good luck!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:18pm On Oct 21, 2014
JehovahFavor:
Dear VO, how is the weekend? Thanks for been there for us always. Myself and wife are due to travel to US by next week but our vaccines remain one dose each to complete. The vaccines are not available in the govt hospitals where we reside, unfortunately too i am not financially okay to go to Q-Life clinic to take the remaini ng dose. Can this cause us entry refusal? Thanks for your anticipate d prompt response.

I didn't give you a prompt response! Have you traveled to the U.S.? How was it? I'm guessing you'll be asked to complete your vaccinations when you get to the U.S.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:22pm On Oct 21, 2014
Euma:
Hello VO, I believe your weekend is going smooth? Thank you again for your wonderful contributions to this site. I hope one day you are rewarded for this because your advices have been helpful. Keep it up!

Now, one question. I would like to know if your team take out some time to study the approved cases you receive from NVC prior to the beneficiaries' interview? I look forward to your reply whenever you come online.

PS: Like Islet and co, we do miss you smiley

I missed you too. I'm so glad to be in Nigeria with such wonderful people!

We actually don't look at the cases until the day of the interview. That's because we have so many cases that there's no point in looking until we know the applicant has actually shown up for the interview. (All too often, people don't appear for their interviews, for a variety of reasons.) There are some exceptions -- for instance, if there are several cases that are connected to each other in some way, or if the families have contacted us and we KNOW it's going to be a complicated case. But, usually, we take them as they come. Most cases turn out to be very straightforward, actually.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.