Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,252 members, 7,807,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677048 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kiwi5: 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2014
Hi VO,
Am applying for a K1 visa, my fiancé petition has been approved n my interview is coming soon. Pls what are the possible interview questions I should be on the look out for and what supporting documents will enhance my interview to be a success.
Thank You.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Vicobaba123: 3:52pm On Nov 26, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It sounds like the B1/B2 (tourist) visa is exactly the the right option, considering you don't plan to immigrate.
thank you for quick responds. I read in some other forum that it is nearly impossible to get a tourist visa when u have a spouse in the USA .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Iykonnet: 7:36am On Nov 27, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Glad to hear my (your!) country is treating you well! What do your children say about the school?

It's good that you have your green card in hand. You should never spend more than 12 months at a stretch outside the United States, because if you do, you'll have abandoned your Legal Permanent Resident status. It would be good if you could show that you spend more time inside the U.S. than outside. But, considering the nature of your work, your travel history makes sense. You might consider traveling with documentary proof that your production company is indeed domiciled in the States -- that should soothe the hearts of any border agents who might question your travel.

I really don't think you're going to have problems. It's the people who spend two weeks in the U.S. and ten months in Nigeria who have a hard time convincing the border agents that they "reside in the States." Your situation is quite different.

All the best to you, your wife and kids!

Tnx a million...My kids love the schools, two attend elementary and one in middle and they've fully settled in....tnx again and God bless you.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by terefe(m): 8:45am On Nov 27, 2014
Dear VO...an immigrant visa petition case just got re-opened after it was initially denied, would d process start from the beginning and go through the waiting time(parent filed).. And can d subject in dis case apply for an niv ? Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Joboms(m): 3:10pm On Nov 27, 2014
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeyinka2014: 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2014
VisaOfficer:

We sent you an e-mail in October that said:

Thank you for your email.

According to our records, we were unable to reach you on the phone number you provided. An e-mail was sent to you to inform you to return to the Consulate with your passport, new medical and police certificates; you will also need to fill out the DS260 online form. You may contact the National Visa center at NVCinquiry@state.gov to request your invoice number, which is needed to fill out the DS260. Print out the confirmation of the form and return with these documents on any business day except Fridays at 1pm.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit
United States Consulate General
Lagos, Nigeria

Dear VO,
Thank you so much. I've received the email, I'm waiting for my medicals after which I'll return to the Embassy.

Thanks again and God bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by YomiFash86(m): 11:59pm On Nov 27, 2014
Hello Visa Officer,

My wife's parents have been approved by USCIS for I-130; what would they need to do in order to process their immigrant visas in Lagos Nigeria ?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by felixfelix: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2014
Hi VO,
Please how much does it take a parent who is a US citizen already in the states to file for the child who is not in the states already?
Even if you might not know, do please give me a guess or an estimated guess to help someone plan her logistics towards the like condition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by darasimi1: 5:33pm On Nov 28, 2014
Hello VO
Please I have few questions to
1.if a spouse of a dv winner is refused a visa based on material misrepresentation can he file a waiver?
2.if he can file a waiver, how long does the waiver process take to complete?
3.if the waiver is approved how soon can he get call from the embassy?
4.does the approval is the only thing he needs to get the visa or is there other form after the approval?
Thanks for your timed response.
Happy thanksgiving hope you reserve nairalanders turkey? Lol
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:27pm On Nov 28, 2014
kiwi5:
Hi VO,
Am applying for a K1 visa, my fiancé petition has been approved n my interview is coming soon. Pls what are the possible interview questions I should be on the look out for and what supporting documents will enhance my interview to be a success.
Thank You.

Greetings! We'll likely ask how you met, and what you can tell us about your fiance. Every interview is different. Bring photos, letters, whatever you happen to have. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:29pm On Nov 28, 2014
Joboms:
Hi VO,
Words can't describe how thankful I am..u've been Ά̲̣̣̣̥ helper on NL..I've being following this thread for quite sometime now nd u've helped many pple..I really appreciate u.
My dad filed for my sis nd I since last year and its been goin on well..he told me we'll be contacted by december for an interview..pls I'd be grateful if u can help check d status for me..LGS2014731035
LGS2014731036..
Thanks a lot.

I'm actually not in Nigeria at the moment. Please email LagosIV@state.gov for a status update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:35pm On Nov 28, 2014
terefe:
Dear VO...an immigrant visa petition case just got re-opened after it was initially denied, would d process start from the beginning and go through the waiting time(parent filed).. And can d subject in dis case apply for an niv ? Thanks

If the case was reaffirmed, NVC will send schedule it for the next available appointment. The beneficiary is free to apply for an NIV, but as s/he is clearly an intending immigrant, it will be difficult to be successful.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:37pm On Nov 28, 2014
YomiFash86:
Hello Visa Officer,

My wife's parents have been approved by USCIS for I-130; what would they need to do in order to process their immigrant visas in Lagos Nigeria ?

Thank you.

They should contact USCIS and request that their case be transferred to Lagos.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2014
felixfelix:
Hi VO,
Please how much does it take a parent who is a US citizen already in the states to file for the child who is not in the states already?
Even if you might not know, do please give me a guess or an estimated guess to help someone plan her logistics towards the like condition.

Are you asking about time or cost? The time depends on the age of the child and the child's marital status. For the cost, go to www.USCIS.gov and search for "I-130".
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:43pm On Nov 28, 2014
darasimi1:
Hello VO
Please I have few questions to
1.if a spouse of a dv winner is refused a visa based on material misrepresentation can he file a waiver?
2.if he can file a waiver, how long does the waiver process take to complete?
3.if the waiver is approved how soon can he get call from the embassy?
4.does the approval is the only thing he needs to get the visa or is there other form after the approval?
Thanks for your timed response.
Happy thanksgiving hope you reserve nairalanders turkey? Lol

Is this someone who hopes to get a waiver in order to get the Diversity Visa? If so, I'm guessing it was the 2014 DV season? That season closed on September 30 and no further visas can be issued.

I hope you got your turkey!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Joboms(m): 10:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:40pm On Nov 28, 2014
Joboms:

Tnx VO
I don't want to take any risk sending any message..I'll rather wait for u to be back to Nigeria..will u be bck dis year?
I'm scared of sending any message..so there won't be any delay..I hope u understand me..
Thanks VO

There wouldn't be any risk or delay from an email. Has NVC given you appointment dates yet?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Joboms(m): 10:43pm On Nov 28, 2014
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 5:38am On Nov 29, 2014
Happy thanksgiving ma'am.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by darasimi1: 5:57am On Nov 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Is this someone who hopes to get a waiver in order to get the Diversity Visa? If so, I'm guessing it was the 2014 DV season? That season closed on September 30 and no further visas can be issued.

I hope you got your turkey!
Yes it is the DV 2014 season.
But can he still go ahead with the waiver in order to avert future refusal? I hope the spouse can file a petition as an LPR? Alongside with the waiver.
What is the waiting period for spouse petition this days? I mean i-130.
On a lighter mood I did not get my own turkey o.
Hope you will be back in naija soon?
Enjoy your vacation ma.
Thanks for taking out time to answer our questions here.
God will continue to bless you and all that is yours.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by terefe(m): 6:42am On Nov 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

If the case was reaffirmed, NVC will send schedule it for the next available appointment. The beneficiary is free to apply for an NIV, but as s/he is clearly an intending immigrant, it will be difficult to be successful.
thanks vo, but please do you have an idea of how long the reaffirmation might take?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:12pm On Nov 29, 2014
Joboms:

No VO..no appointment date yet

Ah, then we have no status update for you. The case hasn't been sent to us yet.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2014
darasimi1:

Yes it is the DV 2014 season.
But can he still go ahead with the waiver in order to avert future refusal? I hope the spouse can file a petition as an LPR? Alongside with the waiver.
What is the waiting period for spouse petition this days? I mean i-130.
On a lighter mood I did not get my own turkey o.
Hope you will be back in naija soon?
Enjoy your vacation ma.
Thanks for taking out time to answer our questions here.
God will continue to bless you and all that is yours.

He should wait until he has an active case before he files for the waiver. That is, after his wife files the I-130, then she can file for a waiver on his behalf. I'm not sure what the waiting period for an F2B visa is but you can check by Googling Visa Bulletin.

How did the wife become an LPR if the husband has a 6C1? Wait - they're really married, but he used a false identity in a prior application. Am I right?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:19pm On Nov 29, 2014
terefe:
thanks vo, but please do you have an idea of how long the reaffirmation might take?

Has it been reaffirmed yet? If not, it depends how convincingly the petitioner responds to USCIS's request for evidence. It takes at least a few months.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 1:21pm On Nov 29, 2014
Happy Belated Thanksgiving ma, hope you had lots of Turkey? Please can i hope to hear good news soon about my case?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by amarachi007: 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

They should contact USCIS and request that their case be transferred to Lagos.

Why would they contact USCIS after an approval when the approved petition must first go to NVC for further processing. Thn and only then it is sent to the embassy. Or did some new process start without us knowing it?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2014
amarachi007:

Why would they contact USCIS after an approval when the approved petition must first go to NVC for further processing. Thn and only then it is sent to the embassy. Or did some new process start without us knowing it?

Oh - sorry - I should have been more specific and said NVC. Thanks for pointing that out.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by terefe(m): 8:01pm On Nov 29, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Has it been reaffirmed yet? If not, it depends how convincingly the petitioner responds to USCIS's request for evidence. It takes at least a few months.
No it hasnt, it just go reopened so i think a few months it is..thank you very much..
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nalacandi(f): 9:22pm On Nov 29, 2014
Dear VO Officer,

My husband and I wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving this year! We want to tell you how much we appreciate all you do each day. We were hoping to see if there might be any update on our case. I sent an email and provided my address change, as you instructed, and I have changed my address with the USCIS. Please, if you have any information it would be greatly appreciated. We truly miss each other and woud love to be together for Christmas. Do you think that could be possible in our situation? Our case # LGS2014598025.

We hope you have had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoyed your break.

Sincerely,

nalacandi
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rattlesnake(m): 12:29am On Nov 30, 2014
I wanna travel for a seminar but the seminar can also be attended through Skype.....do u think I will be issued visa because I prefer to travel there physically
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 2:49am On Nov 30, 2014
Its obvious u are njoying ur vacation,may God bless u ma.Pls i want to ask d likely documents dat wil b needed for derivative purpose at d embassy since her case is now current and she hhopes to travel by early january with her baby.

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.