Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,896 members, 7,806,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. (12537 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch / Naira Falls To 325 On Dollar Shortage -punch / Advice To Every Young Entrepreneur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 16, 2014
Sissie:

Sorry I have seen it. Will reply
My Allah Answer your prayers during this Ramadan smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by deols(f): 2:30am On Jul 17, 2014
tunshe:

Let me use this opportunity to welcome you back.....Ramadhan kareem!

Allahu akram. Thank u
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by deols(f): 2:31am On Jul 17, 2014
This thread deserves home page jorhh

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Sissie(f): 12:26pm On Aug 11, 2014
deols: This thread deserves home page jorhh

cheesy
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by meforyou1(m): 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
Youngzedd: No age.

You aren't young abeg.

Graduated since 2012.
what exactly is wrong with u? U want her to be a jambite before u consider her young?
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by segradino(m): 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
Uhm....this was posted in june, why is it just making fp, that makes it...

Info for smart phone users, tired on paying what you consider too expensive for data? u can get d best data plan for ur internet enabled devices why waste more when u can pay less...check dis out on this thread. www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-data-cheapest-rate#25391662
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Itoroetti(m): 3:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
G12: See as you just shot yourself.

"What did you study in school?"

the answer no even dey ur reply.

Sorry, I couldn't continue reading

typically lazy nigerian.didnt u see where she said she was an economist.
or u think say economist na person weh no deh give

grin

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by femimike1(m): 3:11pm On Aug 17, 2014
nice one

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by nairaman66(m): 3:14pm On Aug 17, 2014
Sissie: What did you study in school?

I have a first degree from Bayero University Kano. I graduated in 2012. I also have a diploma in Mass Communication from the same university. I’m currently the Chief Executive Officer of Sissie Natural.

Why did you decide to go into business?

I always wanted to be an entrepreneur right from when I was a teenager. When I was in the university I did a little buying and selling business. I joined a youth entrepreneurship organisation, attended seminars and conferences for youth entrepreneurship. During my National Youth Service Corps programme, I learnt a skill and after graduating I started Sissie Natural Company.

Why did you choose this line of business?

I had some hair problems and tried different products in the market, and they didn’t work the way I wanted.

During that time, I was becoming more health conscious and so I started reading about natural, chemical free alternatives. After all these studies, I started making my own hair cream, body scrub and shampoo and I must confess that these worked very well. My friends and family started asking me what I was using, and this spurred me into making hair care products for them and the products also worked for them.

Having satisfied them, I decided to study more about natural hair and skin care products and during this time; I discovered I did not only like what I was doing, I started having passion for it. And so I decided to turn it into a business.

What kind of skill did you learn during your NYSC period and how has it been beneficial to you?

I learnt how to sew clothes and I also make clothes for sale and for personal use. I also learnt cosmetology during that period which lasted about six months and this has helped me in starting and managing the business effectively.

What is the nature of the business that you are currently engaged in?

Sissie Natural is a natural organic hair and skin care products company. Our products are 100 per cent natural. We deal in the wholesale and retail of carrier oils, essential oils, handmade body soap, body scrub, hair and skin butters and cream.

I manufacture the hair cream myself and in doing this, I source most of the ingredients locally. After sourcing for the ingredients, I mix it together based on specifications and then sell.

I also co-manage a company with my sister called Mumtaz Bags and Accessories which deals in the wholesale and retail of bags, shoes, clothes, accessories, diamond, silver and gold jewelleries.

We ensure our customers get value for their money; high quality products at affordable prices.

How long have you been in this business?

I have been in business now for six months.

How do you manage your business?

As a sole entrepreneur I try to understand, manage and take responsibility for every aspect of the business. I ensure my customers get good high quality products.

In the beauty industry, quality is very important; it is what makes the customers to continue using the products.

As an economist I also ensure a good financial management of the business to guarantee profitability.

Who are your target clients and how do you get them?

Children, youths and adult. My clients range from babies to grown-ups – everybody that uses hair and skin cream is my target client. Also, of particular interest to me are those people who are interested in natural, organic and chemical-free products. I provide products suitable for the African skin and hair texture.

I also source my customers through advertisements using social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, online stores and forums.

Is the business capital intensive and how much did you start with?

The business is not capital intensive. I started with less than N50,000.

What advice do you have for fresh graduates that are desperately looking for jobs?

Not everyone can get a white collar job due to the high unemployment rate and not all graduates are suited for it. As a fresh graduate, you need to discover what you are good at; be it manufacturing, retailing, hand skills, rendering service and so on.

Identify someone who will serve as your mentor and get professional advice from them on how to develop your business plan and start up your business.

It is not all businesses that require large capital. You can start up a business with as low as N5,000 and as time goes on, you expand.

You also have to understand that not all businesses will succeed immediately. If you fail at the first attempt, go back to the drawing board, learn from your mistakes and re-strategise. That is how you can become a successful entrepreneur.

How can government encourage young people to embrace entrepreneurship?

Government can help young people embrace entrepreneurship by providing social amenities and infrastructure. Social amenities and infrastructure affect the cost of production and running of businesses.

It is the responsibility of government to create an enabling environment for businesses. Government should also help by providing interest free loans and free capital for entrepreneurs. More vocational skills acquisition centres should be made available to the public for free.

What are the challenges you face in this line of business?

As a new company, convincing prospective customers is a little bit challenging and some of the oils are not readily available in the Nigerian market.

Running a business in Nigeria is not an easy task. How have you been able to survive despite the challenges you face?

I get motivated and determined to succeed each time I have a client that is satisfied with my products. I tell and show them the quality of our products and give them free samples for them to test.

What other key investment principles will you recommend for young entrepreneurs like you?

Be focused, have goals and grow your business. As a young entrepreneur you have to work hard to ensure your company grows.

Carve out your niche, scan your society like a detective at every time to be able to adjust and strive to be the best in your environment.

Strive to understand your competitors and try as much as you can to mitigate risk. Never give up. Talent and education are not enough. Determination and perseverance are very important.
http://www.punchng.com/business/young-entrepreneur/you-need-perseverance-to-succeed-bello

And most girls would think they can make it big time through Love Peddling! Congrats Sissie, and more power to your endeavors!
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Rilwayne001: 3:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
masha Allah
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
Well done Sissie.
Last Bullet
Aspiring entrepreneurs should learn
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by KidProgrammer(m): 3:32pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ok
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Omomehn: 3:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Youngzedd(m): 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
meforyou1: what exactly is wrong with u? U want her to be a jambite before u consider her young?

9jarians for you.

Hope your moniker isn't referring to me.

Relax, you don't have to take it personal.
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by maasoap(m): 4:00pm On Aug 17, 2014
This good thread is just making front page.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Strongbest(m): 4:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
Bravo @Op. This is what am talking about!

Let's wake up, let's put our hands to work. Even while you are waiting for that green/white collar job (abi na white kola) to come, get busy, learn a skill.

Please, join us here and learn something new for free.

www.nairaland.com/1798724/ free skill acquisition e-centre

Op, please feel free to let me know if there's anyway I can be of help, I mean with certain recipes to add value to your product.
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 17, 2014
Congratulations.

Now your task is to maximize this 5 minutes of fame. Hope you were prepared.
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
I was also I interviewed by punch newspaper last year as a young entrepreneur.

thanks to punch for this awareness campaign
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Neldrizzy(m): 4:57pm On Aug 17, 2014
Nawao.. See buying ans selling.. i love this!!! .... ..... .... .... Guys been taking chances even before John the baptist announced the coming of Jesus Christ
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by ogbuebo(m): 4:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
Encouraging. We are willing to mentor young and potential entrepreneurs.
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 17, 2014
Now an employer of labour and not a seeker!

#Nice one

Q: how do u get this papers to interview u ?
I want an interview too
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by rhames(m): 5:51pm On Aug 17, 2014
ok. any other entrepreneur in the house. grin
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
Punch
Vanguard
pls interview 2sexy1
That dude is more than an entrepreneur
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
chidyhels: Punch
Vanguard
pls interview 2sexy1
That dude is more than an entrepreneur
grin grin grin grin she refused to help me. The OP thought I am into scam and hence declined. But sooner than later, many will hear my testimony. Na God get power!
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Sissie(f): 10:25pm On Aug 17, 2014
2sExy1: grin grin grin grin she refused to help me. The OP thought I am into scam and hence declined. But sooner than later, many will hear my testimony. Na God get power!

Really. This is not nice, as I didn't say or thought you are into scam. I told you my reasons and if this is what you would post it's all good.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
Sissie:

Really. This is not nice, as I didn't say or thought you are into scam. I told you my reasons and if this is what you would post it's all good.
It is well all the same. Sorry!
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
2sExy1: It is well all the same. Sorry!

You should retract the statement you offered previously. There's no need to tarnish her image simply because she refused to participate in whatever you were proposing.

It's the right thing to do.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
CityNG:

You should retract the statement you offered previously. There's no need to tarnish her image simply because she refused to participate in whatever you were proposing.

It's the right thing to do.
lol she did try to help but I sense she wasn't comfortable about it... simple. By the way, did I accuse her of any crime? what has tarnish got to do with it? I said she was felt I was into something like scam or one of those that people are familiar with. I and I understand her sentiment. I didn't press on.

Few weeks ago, I came her to request for help to get a dorm account and people were scared to help... I moved on and got it anyway.
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 1:01am On Aug 18, 2014
2sExy1: lol she did try to help but I sense she wasn't comfortable about it... simple. By the way, did I accuse her of any crime? what has tarnish got to do with it? I said she was felt I was into something like scam or one of those that people are familiar with. I and I understand her sentiment. I didn't press on.

Few weeks ago, I came her to request for help to get a dorm account and people were scared to help... I moved on and got it anyway.

Yes you tarnished her image.

You accused her of not getting involved because she thinks you're scam.

Anyways it's all good. But remember this, do unto others....
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 18, 2014
CityNG:

Yes you tarnished her image.

You accused her of not getting involved because she thinks you're scam.

Anyways it's all good. But remember this, do unto others....
bro, you are mixing words. please look up the meaning of tarnish before using it next time. You have a wrong choice of word in this context, but I understand what you are saying.
Re: A Nairalander Young Entrepreneur Punch Newspaper Interview. by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 18, 2014
2sExy1: bro, you are mixing words. please look up the meaning of tarnish before using it next time. You have a wrong choice of word in this context, but I understand what you are saying.

Listen, you are far from the person to correct me on her queens English.

This is what you said "she refused to help me. The OP thought I am into scam and hence declined."

Simply put, you accused her of thinking with prejudice that you're a scammer and further more sh declined to conduct business with you based on this wrong assumption.

Here's the meaning of the word tarnish

"verb
1. damage, taint, blacken, sully, drag through the mud, smirch His image was tarnished by the savings and loans scandal."

You dragged the OPs name through the mud by your juvenile and unsubstantiated accusation.

One could wrongly assume that she is not a savvy business person that makes assumption when approached with a business proposal.

You could easily apologize but as a typical Nigerian you will continue to argue blindly.

Do onto others........

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Report Banks Hoarding FOREX, CBN Tells Nigerians / MTN To Pick More Banks To Work On Planned Nigerian IPO / Binance Says 30% Of Blocked Account Cases Are Law Enforcement-Related

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.